PDA

View Full Version : Swans win 2015 v swans win 2016

Throughandthrough
04-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Both are amazing, incredible never to be forgotten wins

Last year announced the Dogs as a team that had woken up from a coma

This year our coach has described it as worth ten wins

Which one is more important to our club?

Which one will have the biggest long term effect?

If you had to chose one win only (and a loss....)which one would you keep?

comrade
04-07-2016, 08:59 PM
We jumped them last year, this year they were ready for us.

This year all their guns played well, yet we still held them off.

2016 was the better win, IMO.

Twodogs
04-07-2016, 09:14 PM
This year.

The Swans were waiting for us this year. They wanted revenge for last year. They spent a year building up resentment and bile after the big hoaha everyone made last year after we beat them.

They wasted their time. We own them.

EasternWest
04-07-2016, 09:17 PM
We jumped them last year, this year they were ready for us.

This year all their guns played well, yet we still held them off.

2016 was the better win, IMO.

Ahem *Tippett* ahem.

That being said, you can only play the team put against you, and you're dead right they were primed for this game.

I say this year.

ledge
04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Ahem *Tippett* ahem.

That being said, you can only play the team put against you, and you're dead right they were primed for this game.

I say this year.

We had no Murphy.. Evens up

bulldogtragic
04-07-2016, 09:26 PM
2016. Last kick of the game. Doesn't get much sweeter, except doing against heavily biased umpiring. We did that too.

1eyedog
04-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Last year was monumental. We shouldn't have beat them but we did and it was a turning point for our great club.

I'll take last year's win. It built self belief and we may be further back than we are now without it.

EasternWest
04-07-2016, 10:15 PM

Nah.

Ozza
04-07-2016, 10:21 PM

Or Dahlhaus....or Crameri...

westdog54
04-07-2016, 11:03 PM
This year but not by much.

The thing that tips it in this year's favour is who was involved in the last passage of play.

Clay Smith's bone-rattling tackle, Daniel's composure and vision to find Bontempelli, who delivered a millimetre perfect pass to JJ, who then slots his first ever set shot goal to win the game in the ultimate clutch moment.

All under 25 and all of them a story in themselves this year.

SonofScray
04-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Last year was exhilarating and cathartic. It was a reward for us fans for sticking fat and confirmation for us all that the wheel had turned and we were in for a good season.

That the element of surprise is not part of the recent victory and the excuses for us to fall away have piled up and rarely been cashed in, this one gets the nod from me. It was an affirming, emboldening experience.

bornadog
04-07-2016, 11:17 PM
This year but not by much.

The thing that tips it in this year's favour is who was involved in the last passage of play.

Clay Smith's bone-rattling tackle, Daniel's composure and vision to find Bontempelli, who delivered a millimetre perfect pass to JJ, who then slots his first ever set shot goal to win the game in the ultimate clutch moment.

All under 25 and all of them a story in themselves this year.

Don't forget the in and under King who got the ball into Caleb's hands.

1eyedog
05-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Don't forget the in and under King who got the ball into Caleb's hands.

What's his name again? '... that small forward'.

I love him too.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 09:52 AM
What's his name again? '... that small forward'.

I love him too.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zps4ezdoj7z.jpg

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 10:06 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zps4ezdoj7z.jpg

I wonder what McVeigh is doing? Everyone has their eyes on the ball except him.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 10:08 AM
I wonder what McVeigh is doing? Everyone has their eyes on the ball except him.

Clay is also lying across the back of a Swans player after putting on a ripper tackle.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Here are all the goals with thanks to Als Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmpswz-bDRM

craigsahibee
05-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Ahem *Tippett* ahem.

I say this year.

And they were missing Talia, which does make them a 5 goal better side when he is out, so yep 2016 was a better win.

Mantis
05-07-2016, 10:57 AM
2015 by a long way.. It was the day we arrived back as a proper football club.

This year I was confident we would put in a good performance, last year it was only hope.

The bulldog tragician
05-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Interesting to note Stevens, Dahlhaus and Murphy were in our top 5 disposal winners in 2015.

Choosing between the two wins is like being asked who is your favourite child.

In 2016 we had more at stake, a top 4 spot, and our credibility as worthy flag contenders.

In 2015 things were more carefree, much less expected.

Can I sit on the fence and say 2015 is one of my favourite wins for the emotion of the playing group, and 2016 will always be special because it shows we are now a team that can win the close ones.

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 12:25 PM
And they were missing Talia, which does make them a 5 goal better side when he is out, so yep 2016 was a better win.

Did Talia play v Sydney last year?

This year I was confident we would put in a good performance, last year it was only hope.

I fully expected us to get done by ten goals last year. I stood watching just waiting for Sydney to crank it up and roll over the top of us. This year I just knew that we had another goal in us, just as I was sure hawthorn had another goal in them toward the end of the game earlier in the season.

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Clay is also lying across the back of a Swans player after putting on a ripper tackle.

I think he has his right hand on the ball hoklding it to the player. It's a terrific tackle.

Ozza
05-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Did Talia play v Sydney last year?

Yes, he played on Franklin.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2016, 01:17 PM

I agree with the latter part but not by a long way. The only thing the 2016 version had over it was the winning goal being virtually on the siren (a pretty big thing though!).

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Was at the ground for both games and found 2015 more of a thrill, due to the totally unexpected nature.

However, I consider 2016 more important now as it is part of a season that is very much alive.

comrade
05-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Was at the ground for both games and found 2015 more of a thrill, due to the totally unexpected nature.

However, I consider 2016 more important now as it is part of a season that is very much alive.

Yep, round 5 was an unexpected surprise. It put us back on the footballing map in a lot of ways and it seems like a monumental moment in this group's rise.

But it was round 5.

This year's win is in one of the tightest finals races ever seen, in the most wide open season in memory. Sydney were primed and ready for us. We were coming off a demoralising loss that had many questioning our credentials. Their best players all performed, Buddy put on an absolute show, and other than a 15 minute patch in the 3rd quarter, they were never really out of control. Yet the players stuck to the plan, and at the death we executed perfectly under the most immense pressure. And it wasn't our experienced players that iced the game. It was Daniel, Bont and JJ.

Being at the ground, I couldn't quite understand how we won the game, but we did. And that's what the very best teams do. This win proves we're one of the best this year.

The Doctor
05-07-2016, 08:23 PM
I like threads like this

Both magnificent wins.

I'll go with 2015 for the reasons 1eyedog & Mantis explained. without that win would we have won the 2016 sequel? Who Knows, but it certainly announced us as a force, and gave the club great belief in the playing group, the new coach but most importantly in itself.

boydogs
05-07-2016, 09:23 PM
2016. The Swans had an off game last year, this year they were at their best. They would have gone top of the ladder if they had had won, but we had their measure. We had to fight back from behind several times and find a way to score in the final moments of the game

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Can't seperate them.
Both equally important for our developement,belief and seasons.
I love them both equally, unconditionally and euphorically.

westdog54
05-07-2016, 11:23 PM
For those of you on Youtube, check out Als Higlights for some great AFL360 discussion on the match. 30 minute compilation but it's worth it.

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 11:35 PM
I will say both were very special. Hard to pick one :)

Scraggers
06-07-2016, 02:58 AM
2015 for totally selfish reasons. Last year I travelled from Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to watch the game live. It pissed down the whole game and I got saturated; but the euphoria after the game ... Bulldog supporters high-fiving each other as we left the game. Drinking in a pub across the road from the ground and not another Swans supporter to be seen. The plane ride home.

Definitely 2015 !!!

Although ... 2016 was damn good too. But I was home and screaming with exhilaration at the tv. Not the same really.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Both for varying reasons.

2015 was incredible because it was out of the box; nobody expected it and we announced ourselves as a good football side.

2016 was incredible because Sydney knew what was coming, had planned for it, but couldn't stop us despite all their best players at the top of their game.

It's one thing to 'surprise' a top side, it's another to then have them seething about that surprise and do it again the following year.

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Seething! That's the word I was looking for.