PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 16 2016 vs Richmond

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 09:28 PM
This is the round 16 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
09-07-2016, 09:40 PM
3 to Bank, 3 to Anch

EasternWest
09-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Bontempelli must have close to the best hands in the comp. That pick-up and dish that led to our first goal in the fourth was sublime.

Roberts had a huge moment late in the game, spoiling Riewoldt as he went back with the ball.

If Caleb Daniel doesn't win the rising star, he'll at least get dive roll of the year.

I appreciate how tenacious Lachie Hunter is, but if he never had to kick/handball again I'd be happy.

Suckling is a wonderful kick, but whenever he squares up his body and tucks in his shoulder I cry a little inside.

I still reckon Jack Riewoldt is probably a good bloke, but he's so punchable on the field.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 11:04 PM
B:

Wood. Just a gun, just a leader, just the difference.
Bonts when he wasn't sent to full forward doing nothing. He's a very rare talent.
Stringer. I wish you'd get into the game and do basics right, but your set shots were good for a change.

A:

Match Committee. For once, they got it wrong. Hampson schooled us. Redpath one tall out meant Bonts was down there. Bring in Boyd.
Redpath: Playing on when a simple set shot was there. That's as loud as I've yelled this year, possibly ever. But you kicked a couple so I will leave the second boot out.
Libba's injury. Hope the kid is ok.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Bankers:
Jake Stringer - might not always do what others expect but he adds polish and some grunt in the midfield. Got his set shots.
GloveWood FletchBoyd - Easton back makes a huge difference.
Anchors:
Red, thank goodness we won that or you would be feeling red.
Forward strategy - Bont forward was a good idea, but something isn't working. Dickson badly down on last season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Marcus Bontempelli. I thought, as a 18 year old that Chris Grant was my idol. As a 43 year old who should know better, Marcus Bontempelli is quickly exceeding the level I ascribed to Granty.
I not only see a young man who on the field acquits himself at an elite level, but I saw a young man post siren who exhibited the traits of a wonderful leader. Post game he walked up to Lin Jong and clearly embraced and spoke to him with a 'vibe' that would resonate with most.
Stringer. I remarked to my wife that he seems to now kick the goals expected, rather than just those we don't. That's important.
Morris. Gosh how I am going to miss him when he decides he can't go on. We really need him to go on right now. He is almost irreplaceable. Midfielders win the day, but grow on trees. Defenders like Moz loom large on the outcome of games, and are as rare as hens teeth. Has to at the very least play next year.

Anchors Redpath.. thankfully we didn't pay the price for his brain flatulence. Notwithstanding, still keeps his place
Match committee. Too smart by half in our ruck selection. Richmond tore us a new one in the ruck.
Our movement into the forward line. We must still be one of the worst exponents of conversion in the league. Despite our talents repelling, counterattacking and at the contested ball coalface, we are without doubt one of the poorest converters in the league. That has to change for any hope of premierships to materialise.

always right
10-07-2016, 01:07 AM
B:
Bonts for his clean hands...although he really needed to dish off to Stringer in the second quarter for a certain goal.
We won a game we really didn't deserve to.
A very healthy crowd.

A:
Match committee were too cute by half. Going in with one ruck and one key forward was a monumental error. I thought we were past this.
Lucas Webb is half a yard too slow at this level.
Lost count of the dumb errors we made today.

bornadog
10-07-2016, 01:14 AM
Bankers

1. Stringers accurate kicking for goal

2. The Bont for lifting the whole side

3. Wood for saving many goals in the last quarter

Anchors

1. Redpath thinking he can play on after superb play from backline to forward

2. Libba's injury

3. Puzzled by umpires - why Hampson can hold on to Roughie in the ruck and get away with it every time

Remi Moses
10-07-2016, 01:20 AM
B- The Bont , those hands and his last term turned it
- winning ugly
- wood and stringer in the last , Easton saved it, and Jake and Bont won it
A- So many players down tonight
- finishing our work going forward . Gotta improve
- Libba's injury, let's hope it's not to serious

F'scary
10-07-2016, 01:40 AM
B: Morris, Wood, Macrae
A: MC for persisting with some out of form players; MC for selecting a team without marking options in the forward line.

comrade
10-07-2016, 01:58 AM
B

Stringer's finishing.
Bont's ice cold killer instincts.
Clay's raging bull tackle.

A

Suckling's short kicking.
Redpath's epic brain snap.
Libba getting wrecked.

Oh and one final banker...top 4, baby!

Smads57
10-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Bankers
1. our high draft picks turning it on (again)!
2. Macrae's genuine hardness in the midfield
3. Easton Wood and his ability to halve contests when he isn't marking the ball
Anchors
1. fwd line stacked with mids meaning no tall marking forward option for most of the night
2. disposal from Biggs on a couple of occasions out of the backline
3. contested possies - beaten well in the ruck which in turn affected our getting first use of the ball

Eastdog
10-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Bankers:

Easton Wood and Dale Morris. Did some very important things in the latter part of the game.

Stringer - Kicked some important goals

Bont - A special player and Hunter - strong effort (that pass over the top was cool)

Anchors:

Our field kicking - a huge letdown and we struggled to get them right which resulted in a lot of turnovers

Marking it inside our forward 50 - Still a big struggle and I hope this can improve

Libba injury - That's all we need now but I'm hoping he'll be fine

Ozza
10-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Bankers:

Wood - just enormous in defence. Clearly our most important player on the night.
Bontempelli - again, he noticeably steps up when the game is on the line.
Clay Smith - attack on the footy and the man was superb. Inspires others.

Anchors:

Roughead - got trounced in the ruck. And no impact around the ground.
Lin Jong - Two good marks in the last quarter salvaged him somewhat - was a disaster up until then. Not clean enough at the level.
Redpath - Really battled again for the third week in a row. Poor selection hurt him - the periods when he was in the ruck were disastrous.

ratsmac
10-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont obviously. That last quarter was just special. He stood up when we needed somebody to make a difference.
2. Stringer's goal kickng. He was having an average game but took his chances when they came. Turned his game around in the last.
3. Macrae again puts himself in the right spots and often wears a big tackle to get his teammates into space. He always works incredibly hard.

Anchors

1.Redpath - just do the simple things, you're not Jake Stringer.
2.Dickson - a little harsh because it may not be entirely his fault due to our setup. He just needs to be scoring more. He is being played further up the ground this season though.
3.Injuries - they just suck.
4. Forward line setup - it's just not working. Boyd must come in even though it won't be a quick fix but at least it's a step towards what is our future forward line.
5. Match committee - got the ruck setup wrong. Please don't do that again.