PDA

View Full Version : Home Games at Etihad: Our bugbear

1eyedog
18-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Western Bulldogs say Cairns game reaps more money than all their home games at Etihad Stadium

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says the Dogs will investigate continuing to play a game a season in Cairns now its most recent deal has expired.

The Dogs plan to play at least one, if not two, games at Ballarat’s redeveloped Eureka Stadium next year.

The Bulldogs accounted for Gold Coast on Saturday at Cazaly’s Stadium and Gordon said the door was open to continue the FNQ push in light of ongoing issues at home ground Etihad Stadium.

More below.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-say-cairns-game-reaps-more-money-than-all-their-home-games-at-etihad-stadium/news-story/4e3ad68a87ea570504b347e26f4db32e

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 12:49 PM
We need to get a better deal at Etihad.

Is it true though that with our crowds being over 25K at Etihad this year that we benefit or not?

GVGjr
18-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Western Bulldogs say Cairns game reaps more money than all their home games at Etihad Stadium

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says the Dogs will investigate continuing to play a game a season in Cairns now its most recent deal has expired.

The Dogs plan to play at least one, if not two, games at Ballarat’s redeveloped Eureka Stadium next year.

The Bulldogs accounted for Gold Coast on Saturday at Cazaly’s Stadium and Gordon said the door was open to continue the FNQ push in light of ongoing issues at home ground Etihad Stadium.

More below.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-say-cairns-game-reaps-more-money-than-all-their-home-games-at-etihad-stadium/news-story/4e3ad68a87ea570504b347e26f4db32e

If all that is true then no wonder Ballarat is so important to us.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Lets say hypothetically we agreed on playing a few home games at the G still have Etihad as our main home ground. Would that make a difference? Would we lose if say we got a crowd of 20-25K at the MCG.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 07:32 PM
If all that is true then no wonder Ballarat is so important to us.

Probably financially better off getting 11k at Balla,then 40k at Etihad.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Probably financially better off getting 11k at Balla,then 40k at Etihad.

and stuff the supporters who can't get in. Money is more important.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 07:38 PM
and stuff the supporters who can't get in. Money is more important.

Unfortunately BAD it sems to be.
Sad but True :(

azabob
18-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Selling three home games now?

Reserved seat holders may start questioning the value of actually paying for a reserved seat as part of their membership package.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Selling three home games now?

Reserved seat holders may start questioning the value of actually paying for a reserved seat as part of their membership package.

Maybe there could be replacement games for those home games that aren't played at Etihad for our members who can't get to those games.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately BAD it sems to be.
Sad but True :(

Shame, as this year we have been averaging around 34,400 at Eithad

Geelong

West Coast

Adelaide

North Melbourne

Brisbane Lions

Carlton

Hawthorn

St Kilda

Fremantle

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Shame, as this year we have been averaging around 34,400 at Eithad

Geelong

West Coast

Adelaide

North Melbourne

Brisbane Lions

Carlton

Hawthorn

St Kilda

Fremantle

So even getting over 25K in our home games is still not making us profit. Very disappointing.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Other tenants at Etihad this year

Averages

Saints 29800
Essendon 25300
North 33100
Carlton 34044

We are officially the highest drawing club at the ground, with 34,400

GVGjr
18-07-2016, 10:19 PM
I thought we made a profit at 27K.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 10:29 PM
I thought we made a profit at 27K.

Yes that was my thinking unless we are missing something anyway we just need to get a better deal.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 10:29 PM
This might seem crazy, but let's 'sell' all 11 home game and be truly nomadic. Then there's no shit Etihad deal, whilst theoretically being a tenant. The MCG wants to strike back at Etihad, so give them a win. Its not like we will ever get a home final at Etihad, if we didn't last year versus Adelaide, then we never will.

1 X Cairns
2 X Ballarat
8 X MCG

No to China.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 10:30 PM
This might seem crazy, but let's 'sell' all 11 home game and be truly nomadic. Then there's no shit Etihad deal, whilst theoretically being a tenant. The MCG wants to strike back at Etihad, so give them a win. Its not like we will ever get a home final at Etihad, if we didn't last year versus Adelaide, then we never will.

1 X Cairns
2 X Ballarat
8 X MCG

Intersting BT. I wonder what profit we would make with that combination compared to what we have now.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 10:40 PM

1 X Cairns
2 X Ballarat
8 X MCG

No to China.

I enjoy watching games at Etihad.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 10:47 PM

We now are certainly used to Etihad now but it certainly would not hurt us if we did play a few at the G. Maybe when we get 50K we are more of chance.

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 11:04 PM
We could just load all the players on a bus and drive around until we found somewhere nice to play, ring the opposition and then play the game. Be true nomads.

Eastdog
19-07-2016, 12:14 AM
A combination - won't happen:

11 Bulldog home games

5 Etihad
5 MCG
1 Ballarat

or

6 Etihad
4 MCG
1 Ballarat

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Throw a Whitten oval game in there too Easty.

jeemak
19-07-2016, 10:17 AM
The prospect of home games (aside from a one-off or token gesture) at MCG is nothing but fantasy.

The AFL needs a patsy or two to pay for Docklands and subsidise the commercial benefit to the broader competition, and unfortunately we're one such patsy.

To think we actually have a choice in the matter is laughable.

Bulldog4life
19-07-2016, 10:20 AM

So do I. I'm sure the Afl have to sign off on all our home games.

Ozza
19-07-2016, 11:06 AM
We have a genuine home ground advantage at Etihad. I'm not too keen to give that up.

hujsh
19-07-2016, 11:14 AM

1 X Cairns
2 X Ballarat
8 X MCG

No to China.

Can't/won't happen. AFL won't even let us play a single game at Skilled. 2 at Ballarat is about as good as you could hope for (and couple of replacement games for members).

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 04:28 PM

On a cold rainy windy day with the roof closed it's a nice way to watch football. Whitten oval has a nostalgic feel but it's bloody cold!

We have a genuine home ground advantage at Etihad. I'm not too keen to give that up.

Winning 99% of our games there helps to make it more welcoming too.

Eastdog
19-07-2016, 05:40 PM
On a cold rainy windy day with the roof closed it's a nice way to watch football. Whitten oval has a nostalgic feel but it's bloody cold!

Yep on those freezing rainy days its comfort for us supporters watching the game but always good to get some experience playing wet weather footy as well.

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Yep on those freezing rainy days its comfort for us supporters watching the game but always good to get some experience playing wet weather footy as well.

Maybe for the players. Me getting cold and wet doesn't help.

Eastdog
19-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Maybe for the players. Me getting cold and wet doesn't help.

No not enjoyable getting wet ourselves. That is a plus with Etihad.

1eyedog
03-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Article in the Hun suggests if we get a home final that Bevo is asking for it to be at the G. Makes sense although I'm sure it's already fait accompli.

bornadog
03-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Article in the Hun suggests if we get a home final that Bevo is asking for it to be at the G. Makes sense although I'm sure it's already fait accompli.

I would rather take an Etihad home final and have an advantage. It would be nice to win a final and then we can play the G. I get we have to learn to play the G, but lets win a final.

LostDoggy
03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
I would rather take an Etihad home final and have an advantage. It would be nice to win a final and then we can play the G. I get we have to learn to play the G, but lets win a final.

Agreed. Imagine Dogs v West Coast at Etihad packed with 40k+ Dogs fans.. atmosphere would be amazing.

Flamethrower
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Eagles are a much better team at Etihad than at the MCG.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2016, 04:11 PM

We need to play more games at the G, otherwise our game plan is restricted by playing too many games at Etihad. I would happy to see both Cairns and the Ballarat experiment scrapped in place of more games at the G. Home games at the G against top clubs like Hawthorn and the Sydney Swans, would help create a more dynamic mindset among the players and the club as a whole.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 04:19 PM
We need to play more games at the G, otherwise our game plan is restricted by playing too many games at Etihad. I would happy to see both Cairns and the Ballarat experiment scrapped in place of more games at the G. Home games at the G against top clubs like Hawthorn and the Sydney Swans, would help create a more dynamic mindset among the players and the club as a whole.

Sounds good to me as well NBP. While Etihad is our home ground we definitely should play a bit more as a Victorian club at the MCG which will give us more experience than we have on that deck. I can certainly understand why last year we were pushing for a home final at Etihad as that is mostly where we play our home games so made sense but then again 60,000 odd came to the elimination final at the G and despite the dissapointing result we played well

bornadog
04-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Agree NBP, however, for the first final, where would you rather play?

bornadog
04-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Sounds good to me as well NBP. While Etihad is our home ground we definitely should play a bit more as a Victorian club at the MCG which will give us more experience than we have on that deck. I can certainly understand why last year we were pushing for a home final at Etihad as that is mostly where we play our home games so made sense but then again 60,000 odd came to the elimination final at the G and despite the dissapointing result we played well

If we played at Etihad, would we have won? Would you take a win, but only 54,000 can watch? I would rather take the win.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2016, 07:54 PM
If we played at Etihad, would we have won? Would you take a win, but only 54,000 can watch? I would rather take the win.

BAD, I do not think it was the G that beat us against Adelaide. It was a match in which we could have won/ should have won.
We lost because of poor kicking for goal and the inability to pick up Eddie Betts who kicked 5 goals due to loose defence. Apart from these factors we did manage the MCG very well.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Not necessarily. The Crows do ok at Etihad.

azabob
07-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Not even 31,000 at the game last night.

Clearly North supporters don't go to away games.

Disappointing crowd for mine.

bornadog
07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Not even 31,000 at the game last night.

Clearly North supporters don't go to away games.

Disappointing crowd for mine.

Ditto Bulldog supporters. We should have had more there. Virtually half the row I sit on and in front of me, was empty. Usually occupied by reserve seat holders.

jeemak
15-08-2016, 12:50 PM
The level of entitlement is quite staggering:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geelong-cats-seek-eight-home-games-in-2017-even-though-simonds-stadium-wont-be-available-until-round-nine-20160811-gqq1si.html

We don't just want to make an unreasonable amount of profit from our home games compared to less fortunate Victorian clubs, we think it's only fitting that we have an extremely easy run home to ensure we are prominent in September.

bornadog
15-08-2016, 03:00 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geelong-cats-seek-eight-home-games-in-2017-even-though-simonds-stadium-wont-be-available-until-round-nine-20160811-gqq1si.html

We don't just want to make an unreasonable amount of profit from our home games compared to less fortunate Victorian clubs, we think it's only fitting that we have an extremely easy run home to ensure we are prominent in September.

I hate that club.

LostDoggy
15-08-2016, 06:18 PM

Get Stuffed!!! :mad:

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Idiots. wait until we smash them in finals again and again and again Ad Nauseum.

Axe Man
16-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Potentially some great news for our wretched stadium deal:

AFL close to buying Etihad Stadium in win for Victorian footy fans (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/afl-close-to-buying-etihad-stadium-in-win-for-victorian-footy-fans/news-story/8b5243944f24ebd4e3b8ba1c57dd2639)

THE AFL is on the brink of buying Etihad Stadium in a win for Victorian fans.

Sources have confirmed “significant movement” in talks between league chiefs and the consortium that operates the Docklands ground.

A sale worth about $150 million is tipped before Christmas.

The AFL could take ownership of the stadium for just $30 in March 2025, but has been negotiating its early release.

A deal would dramatically improve gate returns for three of the stadium’s five tenant clubs — North Melbourne, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs. Essendon and Carlton have different arrangements.

The AFL is planning for a $300 million revamp of Etihad Stadium, including a new waterside gateway, open-air bars, restaurants, parks and a running track, as revealed by the Herald Sun *!earlier this year.

The league hopes an overhaul of Etihad would kill off a rival plan pitched by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire to build a $1 billion stadium next door to the MCG.

But a redevelopment is dependent on the State Government forking out the costs.

McGuire’s concept involves the bulldozing and sale of Etihad and construction of a 60,000-seat venue in Melbourne Park.

Commercial real estate experts estimate that if the AFL decided to sell the 7.5ha Etihad Stadium site to developers, it could reap a $1.3 billion payday.

A state government taskforce was established in June to decide the future of Melbourne’s sporting stadiums and precincts.

The Cabinet committee, led by Premier Daniel Andrews, is exploring a series of proposed redevelopments of Punt Rd, Brunton Ave, Richmond railway station, Olympic Park and the Docklands.

Plans to build over the railway tracks that separate the MCG from the Melbourne Park Tennis Centre are also being examined.