PDA

View Full Version : Michael Talia Arrested

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 01:00 PM
According to the Sydney Morning Herald Michael Talia was arrested yesterday morning for possession of a prohibited substance.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that to happen.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 01:24 PM
According to the Sydney Morning Herald Michael Talia was arrested yesterday morning for possession of a prohibited substance.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that to happen.

But what of his mobile phone????!!!?

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Hahahahahaha, karma.

azabob
18-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Does he now get a strike under the AFL drug policy?

Mofra
18-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Swans board stating it was coke.

First year player comes to the club after a controversial exit at another club, losing the trust of his coach and teammates and now this after only getting on the paddock for one game all year. One huge screw up all round.

azabob
18-07-2016, 01:46 PM
It has been a cluster bomb, I guess my concern is where the habit was picked up.

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 01:47 PM
It has been a cluster bomb, I guess my concern is where the habit was picked up.

Not Footscray. Coke is far too expensive for our tastes. Speed, ice or smack and you could blame Footscray but coke is a Sydney thang.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 01:49 PM

Interesting question.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Interesting question.

Probably I would say but not 100%. Glad it's not our problem now.

The Pie Man
18-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Not Footscray. Coke is far too expensive for our tastes. Speed, ice or smack and you could blame Footscray but coke is a Sydney thang.

Reminds me of one the funnier one liners I've heard in the outer at the footy - you reckon you've got speed West Coast? We SELL IT in Footscray!

On the strike thing - I believe he will receive a strike.

While his exit is still a bit raw for me, getting arrested like this sucks. Hope his life is in order.

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 01:57 PM

It seems to be the same circumstances as Libba (DF'ed 2000 light years from home) so I dont see why not.

I wonder if Carolyn Wilson will get up on her high horse and start mouthing off at Sydney or the NSW police force for jumping the gun and upsetting poor little Michael Talia the way she has been potting Bevo at every opportunity since the Talia bullshit came out?

jeemak
18-07-2016, 01:59 PM
It seems to be the same circumstances as Libba (DF'ed 2000 light years from home) so I dont see why not.

I wonder if Carolyn Wilson will get up on her high horse and start mouthing off at Sydney or the NSW police force for jumping the gun and upsetting poor little Michael Talia the way she has been potting Bevo at every opportunity since the Talia bullshit came out?

Don't be surprised if the narrative is that his life was sidetracked due to his poor treatment by the Bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Liberatore got a strike for the identical thing. So on history, no. Them big club, us little club.

The Pie Man
18-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Don't be surprised if the narrative is that his life was sidetracked due to his poor treatment by the Bulldogs.

I won't be actually - I'll spew up, but not from shock

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Way to complete your rehab dickhead. So you're not playing finals, but I hope Adelaide play Sydney this finals campaign. Pick 70 this year for you is a huge win my non-friend.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 02:02 PM
While his exit is still a bit raw for me, getting arrested like this sucks. Hope his life is in order.

This ^^^^

I won't be gloating, just glad it didn't happen while playing for us.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Swans Statement

The Sydney Swans have been informed that player Michael Talia was arrested early Sunday morning in Double Bay.

He has been charged with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance and will appear in the Waverley Local Court next month.

General Manager of Football Tom Harley says the Swans take the matter very seriously.

“It’s extremely disappointing to have one of our players in this situation,” Harley said.

“Given the seriousness of the charges we have made the decision to stand Michael down from training and club activities as we gather the facts.

“Our decision is in no way a reflection of judgement, but rather an interim measure as the matter is investigated by police.

“All of our players are educated about drug use and the AFL’s illicit drugs policy, as well as our club’s firm view on drug issues.

“We will work through this matter with Michael from a legal, welfare and education perspective to ensure he receives the necessary support.”

Talia has been recovering from a foot injury and hasn’t played in the senior side since Round 1.

PS:Why is this thread in the Bulldog Forum.:D

ReLoad
18-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Snap!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/4a/46/51/4a4651bda30fad82bac761499fd4ed40.jpg

Rocco Jones
Barrett will go with the trauma of Tom Boyd's contract + injustice of him being accused of giving away tactics led to drug issues.

azabob
Probably I would say but not 100%. Glad it's not our problem now.

This particular battle may not be ED, but The War could be our problem.

Eastdog
18-07-2016, 02:27 PM
This particular battle may not be ED, but The War could be our problem.

Yes I see what you mean Aza. Hopefully not.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 02:41 PM
News just in, they have lost the evidence, Tahlia doesn't remember doing anything wrong and all the blame has been placed on the Swans runner. Case closed.

G-Mo77
18-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Stuff this guy, no sympathy from my end.

Brain dead thing to do from a brain dead twit.

I'm getting ready for the physiological and mental health issues card to be dealt soon.

Murphy'sLore
18-07-2016, 03:21 PM
I actually do feel slightly sorry for him. His whole life has gone to sh*t.

Not excusing what he did though.

Can't wait to hear how it's all our fault, I wonder how long that will take?

Bulldog4life
18-07-2016, 03:21 PM
It will be a strike. Under the new drug code signed off by the AFL and the Players Asoociation recently it is now 2 strikes and the player is suspended. So if Talia already has one strike he will be in trouble.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 04:26 PM
I actually do feel slightly sorry for him. His whole life has gone to sh*t.

Not excusing what he did though.

Can't wait to hear how it's all our fault, I wonder how long that will take?
If he tries to put the blame on us, I will lose it.

comrade
18-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Wasn't he talking up the increased level of professionalism as soon as he got up there. Seems it wasn't good enough to keep this brainiac on the straight and narrow.

That being said, those taking pleasure in this have short memories. It wasn't long ago that one of our absolute favourites was compromised in a similar way. Kind of a case of stones and glass houses.

strebla
18-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Any young man who goes in this direction needs help. There is no gloating just hope that he can put it behind him for the sake of him and his family.

SonofScray
18-07-2016, 05:06 PM
The rules don't apply to Michael Talia, and significant institutions in his life affirmed that on his exit from Footscray, so I am not surprised by this at all. He is of very poor character.

Cops said he can make one phone call, so he reached for his jacket pocket and thought "....oh, bugger."

comrade
18-07-2016, 06:40 PM
The peanuts we got from Sydney to ship him up there are looking like overs at this point.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 06:49 PM
The peanuts we got from Sydney to ship him up there are looking like overs at this point.

I guess the game is up for our dregs, a shame for any delistees from now on. Jones, Tutt, Talia & Grant are all proving that blokes we don't want (strongly at least) are just simply no good. To think this is how he attacks his rehab on his last chance at AFL... About pick 70 it will be.

ratsmac
18-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Stupid boy. He's not the first and won't be the last. He's just one of the unlucky ones that actually got caught.

GVGjr
18-07-2016, 08:06 PM
I hate hearing that any player is taking drugs and if anything the fact that he has a strong link to our club just makes it worse.

Players at clubs are given so much information and education on the pitfalls on drugs I just wish they would listen to it and stay away from it.

Despite the manner in which he left us I'm looking past that and I'm just hoping that he can sort himself out.
I'm sure the Swans and his family will provide him with plenty of support.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2016, 08:15 PM
I do feel sorry for one of our Club's premiership heroes Harvey Stevens.

GVGjr
18-07-2016, 08:20 PM
I do feel sorry for one of our Club's premiership heroes Harvey Stevens.

I'd imagine this would be hurting the whole family including teams mates and friends of Harvey Stevens.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 08:28 PM
We all make choices everyday of our lives.
It's unfortunate for a young man in his situation that he appears to be making the wrong choices in life.
Just hope he can start to make the right choices to get his life back on track.
Been a pretty shitty last 10 months for him.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 10:33 PM
The Age reporting Talia was with Jon O"Rourke from Hawthorn. Police searched both, and Jon had nothing on him. Talia claims the drugs were given to him as opposed to him buying them.

Full story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/sydney-swans-player-michael-talia-charged-with-possession-of-cocaine-20160718-gq8avs.html)

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 10:40 PM
^^^

"He (Talia) has been as honest as we can ascertain" - Tom Harley, Sydney Swans

Where to start on this comment!!

Ghost Dog
18-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Some good posts here. Generally, the response here has been bemusement but also supportive of him as a young man, despite his history. You can only imagine the equivalent response from another club's supporters in the same situation.
When other forums grow up, they want to be like WOOF.net!

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 11:50 PM
I hate hearing that any player is taking drugs and if anything the fact that he has a strong link to our club just makes it worse.

Players at clubs are given so much information and education on the pitfalls on drugs I just wish they would listen to it and stay away from it.

Despite the manner in which he left us I'm looking past that and I'm just hoping that he can sort himself out.
I'm sure the Swans and his family will provide him with plenty of support.

Drugs are so prevalent in society at the moment it's impossible for any kid to stay away from them-the stories my kids tell me horrify me and I'm no babe in the woods when it comes to this topic. The extra attention and temptation that would come with being a AFL footballer must be immense. Every Tom, Dick and Harry would be offering them a pill or a line or a toke in an attempt to ingratiate themselves and become best buddies with them.

It's not always easy to avoid exposure to drugs these days. I guess you can make good choices 9 times out of 10 but some of us are just not wired to say no all the time.

Scraggers
19-07-2016, 02:29 AM
There has to be more to it than just being caught with cocaine. The fact that he was arrested and has to face court; correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is a first offence should he not just receive a fine? From people I have spoken to here (WA) that are in the know (police), a first offence of possession is not a "big deal" (there words not mine). The media are saying two men were allegedly acting suspiciously down an alley. Was he drunk and disorderly? Did he abuse the officer? Is this not his first interaction with NSW police?

Something is not sitting right with me with this.

westdog54
19-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Not knowing the ins and outs of the NSW system I can't comment intelligently.

What I can say is that in Victoria, in an equivalent situation, the only way this would go to court is if:

It was a second/subsequent offence, or;
He'd also been charged with other offences. Which in this case, he hasn't.

Like I said, though, I don't know the NSW system.

If he's only been charged with possession I can't see him wearing a conviction if its his first trip to court.

bornadog
19-07-2016, 10:07 AM
If he's only been charged with possession I can't see him wearing a conviction if its his first trip to court.

Reading The Age, he was in the alley near a night club where police were checking people coming out of the club and he was charged with possession. I don't believe he was being unruly or doing anything else to break the law.

Mofra
19-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Plus the gentleman's agreement for Sydney to not match the Dunkley bid (not that they particularly needed another inside mid anyway).

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Not knowing the ins and outs of the NSW system I can't comment intelligently.

What I can say is that in Victoria, in an equivalent situation, the only way this would go to court is if:

It was a second/subsequent offence, or;
He'd also been charged with other offences. Which in this case, he hasn't.

Like I said, though, I don't know the NSW system.

It's a little more black and white up there but I don't the system well enough to comment definitely. I would think he will be dealt with a little more harshly for the equivalent breach than our CJS would,.

Axe Man
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Swans defender Michael Talia pleads guilty to drug possession. Handed a good behaviour bond after being caught with cocaine.

Axe Man
04-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Swan Talia escapes conviction for drug possession (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-04/swan-talia-escapes-conviction-for-drug-possession)

SYDNEY Swans defender Michael Talia has escaped conviction and been handed a 12-month good behaviour bond after pleading guilty to drug possession in court.

Police arrested and charged Talia last month after he was stopped outside a nightclub in Sydney's eastern suburbs and found to be carrying cocaine.

The 23-year-old has been stood down from training and all club activities since the arrest in the early hours of Sunday, July 17.

Outside Waverley court, Talia thanked the Swans and his teammates for their support.

"I'm obviously very disappointed in my actions," he said.

"I'm looking forward to learning from this experience and putting it all behind me."

Swans general manager of football Tom Harley, who attended court with Talia and the club's head of welfare Dennis Carroll, maintained that the Swans would stand by their player.

"As a footy club we're obviously disappointed to be here today, but (we're here) in support of Michael," Harley said.

"From a club point of view we've now got the facts, which we stated we were keen to unearth, and we'll now move onto the next step."

Talia has played for the Swans since suffering a serious foot injury in the club's round one win over Collingwood at the SCG, and is unlikely to see any senior action again this year.

He's looking forward to leaning from the experience? Slow learner Michael? Exactly how long is it going to take before you learn from it?

Twodogs
04-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Swans defender Michael Talia pleads guilty to drug possession. Handed a good behaviour bond after being caught with cocaine.

That was quick. About a fortnight from charge to conviction.

Justice is swift.

Mofra
04-08-2016, 03:06 PM
That was quick. About a fortnight from charge to conviction.

Justice is swift.
Yep - when you're well known or have powerful backers.

Court case settled before finals, shocked to be sitting here.

westdog54
04-08-2016, 03:28 PM
In all honesty its what a turnaround from a matter like this ought to be.

New South have the process far more down pat than Victoria does.

Pled up at the earliest opportunity and the matter is resolved. Nothing whatsoever to do with "Powerful backers".

Twodogs
04-08-2016, 03:41 PM
In all honesty its what a turnaround from a matter like this ought to be.

New South have the process far more down pat than Victoria does.

Pled up at the earliest opportunity and the matter is resolved. Nothing whatsoever to do with "Powerful backers".

Do they have a Drug Diversion program up there? I imagine that would unclog the system to a large extent.

westdog54
04-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Couldn't tell you to be honest. I'll try and find out.

The beauty part of the NSW system is that you can issue a summons in the field (I think they call it a field court attendance notice). For something like this, or a drive whilst suspended as another example, is ideal and can take a couple of months off the process.

Twodogs
04-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Couldn't tell you to be honest. I'll try and find out.

The beauty part of the NSW system is that you can issue a summons in the field (I think they call it a field court attendance notice). For something like this, or a drive whilst suspended as another example, is ideal and can take a couple of months off the process.

Sensible idea.

The first time it happened to me a bloke came into where I worked and handed it to me. Asked me if I was Joe Blow but disappointedingly didnt say "you've been served" when he handed it to me. I don't remember what he said, it was a while ago.

GVGjr
04-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Good to hear that he has admitted his guilt, perhaps a lesson learned, and it's also good to hear that the club will stand by him.

The club has not reinstated him either and he remains suspended by the Swans.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I sincerely hope he can put this behind him and make a success of the rest of his football career and life

EasternWest
05-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Good.

He might be a knob, I don't know. I'm not prepared to hang him out to dry like some are. Hopefully he just gets on with his life now.

Twodogs
06-08-2016, 05:42 PM
It's funny how when you do something bad they give you a good behaviour bond.