PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Round 19 2016 - Geelong V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Has Dickson touched the ball in the 2nd half?

Not that I can recall.

whythelongface
29-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Cordy has looked good tonight

huge upside. keep him in for the rest of the year.

FrediKanoute
No shame in this loss - Geelong a good team - 2 1st choice mids injured - god knows how many are not available

AndrewP6
Can't fault our application, but if Geelong was offered a fixture where they could play us in every round, for ever, they'd take it and run.

Forgotten what it feels like to beat these pricks.
It's been 9 straight to them (10 tonight) so it has been some time.

whythelongface
29-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Cordy has looked good tonight

double post

GVGjr
Infuriating. He's a dead set spud.

Wood has been so poor tonight.

You don't think we would benefit by having him as the 2nd ruck option?

G-Mo77
Can we kick 4 in 6 mins

We've kicked 2 in a half of football. :)

jeemak
Selwood just doesn't give away a free kick. It's a joke.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 11:21 PM
The *!*!*!*!ing Selwood rule. FFS. It does my *!*!*!*!ing head in.

Eastdog
29-07-2016, 11:21 PM
At least it did not blow out.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Bloody hell. If Selwood wasn't blatantly holding the ball twice tonight I'll go he. FFS

Ghost Dog
At least it did not blow out.

We can be proud of it. Every inside 50 from Adcock has been a grubber. Awful.
Well done Tom Boyd.

Screw Geelong, they shouldn't celebrate too hard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Such a brave performance tonight. They've given more tonight than i thought was possible. If we don't kose Libva & then Macrae this game goes down to the wire.
I just hope Libba and Macrae aren't bad injuries

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Good on ya Tommy.

He's worked hard all night. Not many players who play second ruck and forward kick three.

Rance Fan
29-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Great fight by the boys tonight...:|

FrediKanoute
Boyd's been good. I have liked his game

whythelongface
Surely the Bartel goal was a stitch up

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:26 PM
See, that's what luck and good fortune is.

We have none of it, someone like Bartel has had more of it than our entire club has for decades.

And he's such a wanker.

Ghost Dog
F**** Geelong

Murphy'sLore
Oh p155 off Jimmy.

ratsmac
Bartel kicks the last goal. Wow! I almost have a tear in my eye. More like vomit in my mouth!

Mantis
29-07-2016, 11:28 PM
We kept coming when we had no right to.. Brave effort.

ledge
29-07-2016, 11:28 PM
huge upside. keep him in for the rest of the year.

We have no choice no one left

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:29 PM
That's one of the best performances under duress I've seen from our club. We had every excuse to get smashed at a ground where many more credentialed Bulldogs teams have been smashed over the course of time.

We fought it out well and we should be proud of our effort.

There's some issues I have with our set up and some players, but I'll be laying off for a while.

GVGjr
29-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Oh p155 off Jimmy.

We have 2 just words on the swear filter. No need to try and get around it.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 11:30 PM
Great effort dogs. Won the final term with two key players on the bench. #proud.

Boyd must play forward. Cordy showed a lot.

whythelongface
No Murph, Boyd, Morris, Wallis, Crameri, Suckling, Campbell, Adams, Libba for a half and we still only lose by 19.

When do we have our fair share of luck.

ratsmac
Hats off to the boys tonight for not throwing in the towel. This is a team of the future I have no doubt.

If we can sacrifice what ever the footy Gods want we must do it, for God's sake!

whythelongface
We have no choice no one left

True. Even we did would still keep him.

EasternWest
29-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Boyd's been good. I have liked his game

Me too.

Good to see Carey make note of the fact that if Boyd is in an aerial contest he'll at least get it to ground. He still needs to get fitter and stronger, but he will.

Frustrating game though. Absolutely loved our application, but we desperately need to do something about our ball use forward of the centre.

I'm a bit tired of being praised for our courage.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Boyd & Cordy with good signs. Dad getting into the line up on merit can't come soon enough.

EasternWest
29-07-2016, 11:32 PM
When did we start hating Bartel?

chef
29-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Great effort from the boys. Poor goal kicking and injuries the killer. So brave and so proud.

always right
29-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Any criticism of individual players tonight and I'll spew up. Even Adcock, who some have bagged for some kicks forward was at least lowering his eyes rather than bombing it aimlessly.

Gotta be proud of that effort.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Gutted about our continued misfortune. When will it ever turn for us?

Proud of our effort. We have huge heart, they're a special group. Hopefully 2017 brings the luck we're long overdue.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2016, 11:36 PM
No Murph, Boyd, Morris, Wallis, Crameri, Suckling, Campbell, Adams, Libba for a half and we still only lose by 19.

When do we have our fair share of luck.

Well, their kicking was a bit off too. But that's footy.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Any criticism of individual players tonight and I'll spew up. Even Adcock, who some have bagged for some kicks forward was at least lowering his eyes rather than bombing it aimlessly.

Nup. Players are paid to kick better than that ( repeatedly, grubber kicks ). That's their full time job.
He provided hardness and some of his short kicks were quite good. I appreciate that.

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:37 PM
When did we start hating Bartel?

He's always had wanker tendencies.

For me it was really confirmed by the beard (two or three years behind society, in true footballer fashion) and his effort to try and coax a deliberate out of bounds in the third.

Remi Moses
29-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Very brave tonight . Danger killed us, and we need to improve our forward 50 effiency .
Hurley will be one hell of an addition, if he comes over .

EasternWest
29-07-2016, 11:38 PM

For me it was really confirmed by the beard (two or three years behind society, in true footballer fashion) and his effort to try and coax a deliberate out of bounds in the third.

Isn't he growing his beard as a charity fund-raiser for white ribbon?

Each to their own. I have irrational hate for others too, so I'm certainly not judging you.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2016, 11:39 PM
We really missed a good kicker tonight. Love to be able to just bang it over their defence.

bornadog
29-07-2016, 11:39 PM
* Roughead very poor tonight didn't help in the big man department.

* Adcock did some ok things but some of his kicking was atrocious

* Stevens and Jong need to be dropped

* Dickson didn't touch the ball in the 2nd half after a blistering first quarter.

* Stringer should have done more

On the positive - Dahl, boy have we missed him.

Carey summed it up, we just keep bombing the ball into the 50, haven't learnt anything all year

Ghost Dog
29-07-2016, 11:40 PM

* Dickson didn't touch the ball in the 2nd half after a blistering first quarter.

Carey summed it up, we just keep bombing the ball into the 50, haven't learnt anything all year

Stevens for who? Jong for who? We are pretty short staffed...

In the American Civil War, The rebels had this rush tactic that worked but cost a lot of lives. Later they just got ground down by the North with tactics. Our style reminds me of that!
While I love our hardness, the lack of composure and tactics going into the 50 hurts.
Even though he got pinged, I loved the fact Easton was trying to break lines. I liked people going for shots. Stringer missed an easy one, so did Jong. We had our chances and I believe we could have won that.

bornadog

Start spewing:D

Throughandthrough

He's growing the beard to raise awareness of domestic violence. He will shave it off at the end of the season.

bornadog
29-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Stevens for who? Jong for who? We are pretty short staffed...

Webb, Dale

Hotdog60
I think Caleb busted a gut out there tonight. I'd be interested in his game time.

Mantis
Gutted about our continued misfortune. When will it ever turn for us?

Proud of our effort. We have huge heart, they're a special group. Hopefully 2017 brings the luck we're long overdue.

Hoping Libba isn't out for too long, but we aren't done with yet.

Put the likes of Morris, Boyd, Suckling, Adams and McLean into that team and we are up to our eyeballs.. I know it seems the world is against us, but this season isn't done with yet.. When we bring that intensity, we can match anyone.

G-Mo77

Adcock's disposal was pretty solid tonight. Dropped one in very short to Boyd late which was ordinary but overall was ok tonight not one of our best but not one of our worst either.

Mantis
29-07-2016, 11:45 PM

It was much better tonight.. It was just when we were shagged that we went long.

But, yes it's a work in progress.

GVGjr
Adcock's disposal was pretty solid tonight. Dropped one in very short to Boyd late which was ordinary but overall was ok tonight not one of our best but not one of our worst either.

Agreed, he's been harshly assessed. Not too bad tonight.

merantau
We will be too good for Geelong when we get all our boys on the park. We just couldn't take a trick tonight. Every time we had a half chance we "missed it by that much" (Thanks Maxwell Smart) and the injuries just kept piling up.
That being said I do think there are a few players who will really struggle to get a game when all our troops are back so there are some big decisions that will have to be made about the future of these players.
I was really pleased with Tom Boyd's effort for four quarters. Jake Stringer was not 100% IMO. Dahl was immense, Picken played better in the second half, Dunckley continues to impress and Caleb Daniel was a good 4 quarter player. Although we lost there is a LOT we can take from this game. Totally undermanned from the off, we lost Libba, who was having a great game, in the second quarter and ended the game 2 short.
We will do North next week. Don't worry Bulldog supporters. These guys are made of the right stuff. Go Dogs!!!

merantau
29-07-2016, 11:46 PM
We will be too good for Geelong when we get all our boys on the park. We just couldn't take a trick tonight. Every time we had a half chance we "missed it by that much" (Thanks Maxwell Smart) and the injuries just kept piling up.
That being said I do think there are a few players who will really struggle to get a game when all our troops are back so there are some big decisions that will have to be made about the future of these players.
I was really pleased with Tom Boyd's effort for four quarters. Jake Stringer was not 100% IMO. Dahl was immense, Picken played better in the second half, Dunckley continues to impress and Caleb Daniel was a good 4 quarter player. Although we lost there is a LOT we can take from this game. Totally undermanned from the off, we lost Libba, who was having a great game, in the second quarter and ended the game 2 short.
We will do North next week. Don't worry Bulldog supporters. These guys are made of the right stuff. Go Dogs!!!

Rance Fan
29-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Jong competed hard all night in the midfield and kicked a goal. Thought was reasonable.
Thought Wood struggled tonight we Hamling the only guy who looked not up to it in my opinion

AndrewP6
29-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Didn't think Adcock was that bad tonight.

whythelongface
29-07-2016, 11:48 PM

Each to their own. I have irrational hate for others too, so I'm certainly not judging you.

You are right. Generally dislike or hatred for a player is irrational. There are a few players I dislike for no real reason.

Each to their own but I don't mind Bartel. Seems like he is a decent bloke.

whythelongface

agree thought he was ok. Far from our worst.

LostDoggy
Hrovat Mclean.

lemmon
29-07-2016, 11:49 PM

Harsh on Jong, he's as subtle as a sledgehammer but he played a part tonight. Was on the bottom of a lot of packs and did some real grunt work. We're gonna need that with our outs

EasternWest
29-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Yep. Thought he was fine too.

You are right. Generally dislike or hatred for a player is irrational. There are a few players I dislike for no real reason.

Agreed. I've not seen anything to dislike.

whythelongface
29-07-2016, 11:50 PM
I know it has been mentioned before but more I watch Daniel play he reminds me of Sam Mitchell. The kid is just so smart with the ball in hand. He is as good, if not better, than most top 10 draft picks.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Hrovat Mclean Webb should come in for Jong Stevens. We lack that clean skill atm. Have enough hard nut contested beasts.

Hope Libba is ok.

bornadog
29-07-2016, 11:52 PM
Harsh on Jong, he's as subtle as a sledgehammer but he played a part tonight. Was on the bottom of a lot of packs and did some real grunt work. We're gonna need that with our outs

You play in the midfield you need to get more of the ball. 15 disposals doesn't cut it at AFL level

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:52 PM

Balanced criticism is reasonable under any circumstance.

Wood was a titch frustrating for mine, when it comes to ball use. Whilst I'm becoming increasingly concerned with Biggs and JJ's fear of running at the defencive wall compared to earlier in the year. The narrow ground didn't help in the case of the latter two. Easton however, just doesn't have a feel for lowering the eyes when he should.

We have an issue with either one of, all of, or some of defensive set up and player responsiveness when we don't have the football. For mine we're trying to squeeze the ball into the forward half with a level of bloody mindedness that was detrimental to our overall ability to defend the ground effectively and have some space to use it going forward with clarity, particularly in the first half.

This is a massive issue for us, because it seems that when we're not playing well we amplify it. Whilst our endeavour remains, we're falling over each other time and time again, instead of scoring or looking likely to score. I'm really concerned about this aspect of our game.

always right
29-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Start spewing:D

Surprise surprise.

bornadog
29-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Surprise surprise.

What does that mean?

merantau
29-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Stevens had a poor game but with Libba likely to miss we need him. I thought Jong got better as the game went on. He did a power of heavy work, won his share of the ball and his decision making was good. He was far from our worst tonight.

jeemak
29-07-2016, 11:59 PM

Oh. OK. Well don't I look the fool.

I will retreat from my position immediately, with only a cursory reference towards the oddness of growing ones head pubes for awareness as being a little strange.

Murphy'sLore
30-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Oh I have no doubt he's a beaut bloke.

Just feeling frustrated that's all.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Apparently Libbas could be similar to Murphys from Carlton? Who has missed ten weeks and still isn't back.

Sedat
30-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Best game we've played since the Sydney game. Cannot complain at all about the effort, the match-ups, the coaching - just didn't nail our chances in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs.

Injuries suck.

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Disappointed obviously not to win but the effort from our team was great. It cannot be faulted. I thought Tom Boyd played well. Dahlhaus had a good return. Daniel and Bont very good and liked how Dunkley went tonight. Libba was very good until the injury. We just cannot get any luck at all whatsoever with injuries. Macrae another one and Roughy and JJ looked shaky but I think will be fine. Biggs was another that competed well. Dickson early very good.

Webby
30-07-2016, 12:21 AM
That application + full compliment = Flag....

Cmon footy gods.... Smile on us, FFS!

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Apparently Libbas could be similar to Murphys from Carlton? Who has missed ten weeks and still isn't back.

No!!!!! and Wally out as well for quite a while.

Hopefully not as bad.

lemmon
30-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Bevo described Jed Adcock as "outstanding tonight" in the presser

jeemak
30-07-2016, 12:28 AM

Adcock was actually OK to good. Playing across half back when your team is playing high defence is a tough gig and he held more than well many times tonight.

Mantis
30-07-2016, 12:29 AM

Not sure I would call his game outstanding, but I thought he was very serviceable.. His best game for the club.

whythelongface
30-07-2016, 12:31 AM
A lot of reference to footy gods. I don't believe there is a footy God. If there was they would not discriminate and good would rise above evil. But evil seems to be winning. Therefore there are no footy gods.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 12:31 AM

Fingers crossed. That's disappointing to hear, very.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Given the number of players missing this was a huge effort. Five changes before the game then to lose Libba and Macrae in the second half proved too much. We may well have unearthed two youngsters tonight in Dunkley and Cordy who both performed well against quality opposition. Tom Boyd played one of his better games since arriving at the club, which is pleasing. Dahlhaus showed just how much he has been missed with a gutsy effort. What a terrible loss was Liberatore who was clearly our best player until half time. Stringer didn't look fully fit after his injury and struggled to have an impact. This has been an extraordinary year for injuries to our personnel and the club has been very resilient in its efforts to remain competitive. As a Bulldogs supporter you couldn't help to be proud of their fight tonight.

merantau
30-07-2016, 12:35 AM
Not sure I would call his game outstanding, but I thought he was very serviceable.. His best game for the club.

Agreed. His best by far. He played his role and will play the next game. Hamling is not quite up to it. He's always "just nearly but not quite." I don't think he's shown enough in any of the games he's played so far.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 12:36 AM
A lot of reference to footy gods. I don't believe there is a footy God. If there was they would not discriminate and good would rise above evil. But evil seems to be winning. Therefore there are no footy gods.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

We are truly living in dark times, and the devil is having his way and making it seem there's actually something more divine governing us when in fact, he's pulling all the strings.

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 12:42 AM
Well said NBP

Bulldog4life
30-07-2016, 12:44 AM

I agree. Far from being a wanker.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 12:46 AM
In the era when Geelong were just dominating, Bartel was probably one of the more humble blokes. I like him but not when he is kicking goals against us.

merantau
30-07-2016, 12:49 AM
I am forever the optimist but the reality is 2016 has seen the cruel hand of fate put us to the sword and then tie us to the rack before the drawing and quartering. We have the best group of players we've had since 1954. We have the greatest depth we've ever had and we've covered injuries superbly with team oriented defence and supreme effort. But you can only go to the well so many times. Our defensive stocks are running dangerously low. We may have to call on Big Will so Roughie can play back. I fear that if we meet Geelong it the finals the result will be the same unless we can a) put more pressure on the kicker whose booting the ball inside 50 which will be difficult to do as we were very good at doing that tonight and b) have an extra big bloke down there filling up a hole.
Big game against North. Their talls are very good. We need to bring our A game.

merantau
30-07-2016, 12:50 AM
I am forever the optimist but the reality is 2016 has seen the cruel hand of fate put us to the sword and then tie us to the rack before the drawing and quartering. We have the best group of players we've had since 1954. We have the greatest depth we've ever had and we've covered injuries superbly with team oriented defence and supreme effort. But you can only go to the well so many times. Our defensive stocks are running dangerously low. We may have to call on Big Will so Roughie can play back. I fear that if we meet Geelong it the finals the result will be the same unless we can a) put more pressure on the kicker whose booting the ball inside 50 which will be difficult to do as we were very good at doing that tonight and b) have an extra big bloke down there filling up a hole.
Big game against North. Their talls are very good. We need to bring our A game.

LostDoggy
30-07-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I honestly think Geelong get a huge home ground advantage in the AFL and its effiing bullshit. They should have to play in Melbourne like every other VIC club.

I live in Geelong and the amount of Geelong AFL propaganda sh*t that is shoved in my/ everyones faces by the official city of Geelong is ridiculous.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 12:55 AM
I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I honestly think Geelong get a huge home ground advantage in the AFL and its effiing bullshit. They should have to play in Melbourne like every other VIC club.

I live in Geelong and the amount of Geelong AFL propaganda sh*t that is shoved in my/ everyones faces by the official city of Geelong is ridiculous.

Check out my post on page three of this thread.

It's crap we have to play them at Simonds Stadium. Completely unfair.

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Check out my post on page three of this thread.

It's crap we have to play them at Simonds Stadium. Completely unfair.

The only team to still have a big advantage playing still at their spiritual home. All the other VIC clubs do not get the same benefit as we all have moved away from the spiritual homes and only use them for training/VFL.

FrediKanoute
30-07-2016, 01:37 AM
Given the number of players missing this was a huge effort. Five changes before the game then to lose Libba and Macrae in the second half proved too much. We may well have unearthed two youngsters tonight in Dunkley and Cordy who both performed well against quality opposition. Tom Boyd played one of his better games since arriving at the club, which is pleasing. Dahlhaus showed just how much he has been missed with a gutsy effort. What a terrible loss was Liberatore who was clearly our best player until half time. Stringer didn't look fully fit after his injury and struggled to have an impact. This has been an extraordinary year for injuries to our personnel and the club has been very resilient in its efforts to remain competitive. As a Bulldogs supporter you couldn't help to be proud of their fight tonight.

Completely agree. I like Dunkley - good user of the footy who has gotten better and better as the year has progressed.

I like the look of Cordy - long arms, mobile, rangy - Shaggy Mark II

T Boyd - great game - 3 goals, some good marks, most of all though he was involved in the play

merantau
30-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Murphy, Morris, M. Boyd, Wallis, Redpath, Suckling, Liberatore, Macrae, Adams, Crameri, McLean, - that's ELEVEN players, most of whom are either walk up starts best 22, or have strong claims to being best 22, who are unavailable, or potentially unavailable for the game against North. Beating them in these circumstances will go down in our Club's history as one of "their finest hours" victories. Come on boys - let's do it. Go Dogs!

Go_Dogs
30-07-2016, 06:07 AM
Notwithstanding the cruel joke which is our current run with injuries, the tide has just about turned to the point where we're capable of beating up on every team in the competition. The fact we started the game last night as we did is testament to that.

I don't know about all of you, but I've got a memory like an elephant and I hope all the boys do, too.

IIRC there was some reference to our boys going through the tough losses together back in the dark days of 2012-2014 and that those losses would stick in our minds. When our time came, we'd enjoy dolling out savage beatings on those opponents who'd beaten up on us. Last night is another one to keep in the memory banks.

All is not lost, we have a large number of players who will be back before our season ends, and we have a real chance to shake it up in the finals. The additional weak off will be huge for us, whilst it no longer matters who we play and where we play them, we can beat any side, any where.

A couple of highlights from last night:

Liberatore was outstanding in the second before his injury. His work around the contest, his beautiful short kick to a leading Boyd *which sadly many others failed to replicate over the balance of the evening, and his grit was first class.

Bontempelli is starting to get a bit of an aggressive streak which I love, he's sick of teams giving it to us, he's ready to start being an enforcer and beating up on smaller, weaker opponents (which is basically the entire competition, for him).

Tom Boyd finally getting a bit of luck with a few calls, but also showing his marking ability with a few great grabs and finishing with some strong kicking. Well done young man.

Cordy, took a huge mark in the backline and showed a lot tonight. Best game I've seen him play at senior level and he looks like he's ready to step in and play a role for us now.

Dunkley has quite a few areas to improve in, but he is going to be a good player for our club for a long time. He's got a bit of mongrel in him and he develops his skills and strength he's going to be a versatile player who does a lot of damage.

All the best to Liberatore and Macrae.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 06:12 AM

Laughed at this. Yes I lived in Geelong for a few years and it's pretty over the top. The financial gains they get from playing at their home ground all the time is huge.

whythelongface
30-07-2016, 08:23 AM

You are right. It is like the AFL looks upon Geelong as this geographically isolated land mass that is provided with special privileges, just because it is over a certain distance from the epicentre (of AFL).

Geelong is not dissimilar to West Berlin, where a city was divided by a governing body and those that found themselves within a certain geographical location were provided special privileges in comparison to the rest of the population. Now I am not saying that the AFL is comparable to a communist regime but..........

Throughandthrough
30-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Sorry Sophie, but that makes no sense at all. Should the Crows be forced to play their home games in Melbourne as well?

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 10:07 AM
I think Sophie is just venting a bit because it's a fortress down there, and they get such a huge financial bonus for it. Also their fans can be a bit much for a tender Bulldogs soul.
For me, that only seems unfair not because of Geelong, but our raw deal at Etihad. Jealous Frankly!

Bulldog4life
30-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Notwithstanding the cruel joke which is our current run with injuries, the tide has just about turned to the point where we're capable of beating up on every team in the competition. The fact we started the game last night as we did is testament to that.

I don't know about all of you, but I've got a memory like an elephant and I hope all the boys do, too.

IIRC there was some reference to our boys going through the tough losses together back in the dark days of 2012-2014 and that those losses would stick in our minds. When our time came, we'd enjoy dolling out savage beatings on those opponents who'd beaten up on us. Last night is another one to keep in the memory banks.

All is not lost, we have a large number of players who will be back before our season ends, and we have a real chance to shake it up in the finals. The additional weak off will be huge for us, whilst it no longer matters who we play and where we play them, we can beat any side, any where.

A couple of highlights from last night:

Liberatore was outstanding in the second before his injury. His work around the contest, his beautiful short kick to a leading Boyd *which sadly many others failed to replicate over the balance of the evening, and his grit was first class.

Bontempelli is starting to get a bit of an aggressive streak which I love, he's sick of teams giving it to us, he's ready to start being an enforcer and beating up on smaller, weaker opponents (which is basically the entire competition, for him).

Tom Boyd finally getting a bit of luck with a few calls, but also showing his marking ability with a few great grabs and finishing with some strong kicking. Well done young man.

Cordy, took a huge mark in the backline and showed a lot tonight. Best game I've seen him play at senior level and he looks like he's ready to step in and play a role for us now.

Dunkley has quite a few areas to improve in, but he is going to be a good player for our club for a long time. He's got a bit of mongrel in him and he develops his skills and strength he's going to be a versatile player who does a lot of damage.

All the best to Liberatore and Macrae.

That kick by Libba to Boyd should be shown over and over again to the team. To the forwards to the onballers even the defenders. That is how we want our forays into the forward line to work. Not bombing it in all the time. Occasionally yes but look for a team mate first. Big Tom is good on the lead too. Over to you Gia.

Twodogs
30-07-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm so angry this morning.

I'm used to fate or kismet or whatever kicking us in the face and the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune constantly going against us. But now it's picking our players off? That's just not playing fair at all.

Usually after an injury I think "oh well get 22 fit players and have another go at the opposition next week" but this morning I'm thinking "what's the point"

jeemak
30-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Sorry Sophie, but that makes no sense at all. Should the Crows be forced to play their home games in Melbourne as well?

I think Geelong should be forced to play co-tenants of Etihad at Etihad, until they no longer play home games there. Why should they receive such a huge home ground advantage over other Victorian teams?

Twodogs
30-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I've always said the Victorian clubs were silly to move away from their home grounds. Only a lunatic would sell their house so they could rent a house from their boss. No matter how crappy the house it's still your house and it's your main asset.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 10:24 AM
I've always said the Victorian clubs were silly to move away from their home grounds. Only a lunatic would sell their house so they could rent a house from their boss. No matter how crappy the house it's still your house and it's your main asset.

Was there ever a real choice in the matter?

cinder
30-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Was there ever a real choice in the matter?

Not for a cash strapped team like ours.

LostDoggy
30-07-2016, 09:11 PM
No, it's obviously different with interstate teams.

You surely couldn't disagree it's a massive advantage for them though? One that generally isn't afforded to the other VIC clubs? It's rigged to their complete benefit too- a very minimal number of game day tickets can be obtained by non (Cats) club members which in a small ground like Geelong is ridiculous. They seem to profit very, very well from it.

LostDoggy
30-07-2016, 09:13 PM
I think Sophie is just venting a bit because it's a fortress down there, and they get such a huge financial bonus for it. Also their fans can be a bit much for a tender Bulldogs soul.
For me, that only seems unfair not because of Geelong, but our raw deal at Etihad. Jealous Frankly!

THIS.

Also I live there so the struggle is real.

chef
30-07-2016, 09:17 PM
No, it's obviously different with interstate teams.

You surely couldn't disagree it's a massive advantage for them though? One that generally isn't afforded to the other VIC clubs? It's rigged to their complete benefit too- a very minimal number of game day tickets can be obtained by non (Cats) club members which in a small ground like Geelong is ridiculous. They seem to profit very, very well from it.

They are from Geelong not melbourne so they should be able to play every home game they want there.

Im jealous of their set up.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 09:34 PM
They are from Geelong not melbourne so they should be able to play every home game they want there.

Im jealous of their set up.

Disagree entirely . They are based an hour from Melbourne, and even closer for a fair portion of our fan base.
Fans in Europe get more access to away games than we do here. Until the stadium can fill to 40 thousand they should be playing Melbourne sides either at the G or Etihad .

chef
30-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Disagree entirely . They are based an hour from Melbourne, and even closer for a fair portion of our fan base.
Fans in Europe get more access to away games than we do here. Until the stadium can fill to 40 thousand they should be playing Melbourne sides either at the G or Etihad .
Not for me, it's their home game and their fans (and club) should come first.

comrade
30-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Laughed at this. Yes I lived in Geelong for a few years and it's pretty over the top. The financial gains they get from playing at their home ground all the time is huge.

I lived in Geelong for 12 months. It was the year Nick Davis knocked them out of the finals with that last second kick.

It was awesome.

Mantis
30-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Not for me, it's their home game and their fans (and club) should come first.

How many of their fans?

Without knowing I'm thinking they have 50k + members yet play in a stadium that holds less than half that number.. If I was a member i'd be disappointed that I couldn't see my team play unless I had a reserved seat and even then I'd assume they'd be sold out.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 09:50 PM
THIS.

Also I live there so the struggle is real.

Sophie, if it's any consolation, lots of love for our game on the WB FB page from Cat's fans.
While absolutely rusted on, perhaps Cats fans have felt enough pain in the 90's to feel some empathy with our club.
One day I hope they hate us! haha.
Anyway, t's entertainment, and in no interest to opposition fans if you serve up a weak effort. We put on a show last night.
Formerly of Norlane, (where no sane person would live, worked there ) actually, found there to be a very high percentage of Collingwood supporters!

Good work Sophie, hope to see more women on the boards by the way.

chef
30-07-2016, 09:55 PM
How many of their fans?

Without knowing I'm thinking they have 50k + members yet play in a stadium that holds less than half that number.. If I was a member i'd be disappointed that I couldn't see my team play unless I had a reserved seat and even then I'd assume they'd be sold out.

I guess it's no different to Adelaide, Freo and WCE supporters.

To me its their home ground so they should be able to play what ever home game they like there.

westdog54
31-07-2016, 08:37 PM
I guess it's no different to Adelaide, Freo and WCE supporters.

To me its their home ground so they should be able to play what ever home game they like there.

It's s great deal different, actually.

Adelaide, Freo and West Coast don't have strong followings in melbourne for away games that negate the home ground advantage they enjoy.

Adelaide Freo and West Coast have grounds that cater sufficiently for travelling supporters. If they didn't, the Showdown/Derby would have entirely one sided crowds.

Adelaide, Freo and West Coast gave stadiums that cater for their membership. The same cannot be said for Geelong.

chef
31-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Yeah, each to their own i guess. To me Its Geelongs home game and they can do with it what they want.

bornadog
31-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Yeah, each to their own i guess. To me Its Geelongs home game and they can do with it what they want.

I agree Chef, they are not a Melbourne team, however, The Collingwoods, Carltons and Hawks of the world should be made to play there as well. Why should we and other smaller clubs be the only ones at a disadvantage.

Mantis
01-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Including deny the right for opposing fans to travel 45min to attend? Or if they want to go charge them big $$.

If the Geelong stadium was at full capacity then they can play other Melb teams down there, but they shouldn't whilst it's still being redeveloped.

chef
01-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Including deny the right for opposing fans to travel 45min to attend? Or if they want to go charge them big $$.

If the Geelong stadium was at full capacity then they can play other Melb teams down there, but they shouldn't whilst it's still being redeveloped.

I get why others are annoyed, but to me it's their game to do what they like with it. Could be worse I guess and have to go interstate to play another Vic side like Carlton just had to do.

Were you happy about being forced to play at the G last season against the Crows just so more of their fans could go?

westdog54
01-08-2016, 09:01 PM
It's their game and they can do what they want with it, you say?

So if we were to tell the AFL, "For our next have against Geelong, we're closing level 3 at Etihad, prioritising our members for entry, and we'll charge their fans a premium for terrible seats", that'd be ok?

chef
01-08-2016, 09:04 PM
It's their game and they can do what they want with it, you say?

So if we were to tell the AFL, "For our next have against Geelong, we're closing level 3 at Etihad, prioritising our members for entry, and we'll charge their fans a premium for terrible seats", that'd be ok?

Not sure that scenario is really the same, but i can see we aren't going to agree. Each to their own i guess.

bornadog
02-08-2016, 05:17 PM
According to coaches, The Bont now in top 4

AFLCA Votes
Round 19 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs
10 – Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
7 – Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
4 – Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3 – Corey Enright (GEEL)
2 – Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
2 – Andrew Mackie (GEEL)
1 – Luke Dahlhaus (WB)
1 – Liam Picken (WB)

AFLCA Award Overall Leaderboard
(as at the end of Round 19)
95 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
88 - Rory Sloane (ADEL)
79 - Dustin Martin (RICH)
73 - Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
73 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
66 - Luke Shuey (WCE)
63 – Dan Hannebery (SYD)
62 – Robbie Gray (PA)
62 - Luke Parker (SYD)
60 – Tom Lynch (GCS)
60 - Jack Steven (STK)

comrade
02-08-2016, 08:07 PM
AFLCA Award Overall Leaderboard
(as at the end of Round 19)
95 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
88 - Rory Sloane (ADEL)
79 - Dustin Martin (RICH)
73 - Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
73 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
66 - Luke Shuey (WCE)
63 – Dan Hannebery (SYD)
62 – Robbie Gray (PA)
62 - Luke Parker (SYD)
60 – Tom Lynch (GCS)
60 - Jack Steven (STK)

Youngest bloke on that list by about 3 years.

westdog54
03-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Parker and Lynch are both 3 years older.

That's ridiculous.

If Danger and Dusty hadn't had such ridiculous seasons he'd be talked up as a legitimate Brownlow chance.