PDA

View Full Version : Bevo signs to 2020

bornadog
02-08-2016, 02:47 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/422485-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has signed a contract extension until the end of 2020.

The new deal will take Beveridge into a sixth season at the helm of the Dogs.
Beveridge helped take the Club to 14 wins and a sixth-place finish and oversaw its return to finals for the first time since 2010 in his first season at the helm.

He was subsequently named the AFL Coaches Association Coach of the Year –becoming only the second first-year coach to receive the accolade – which Beveridge attributes to the performance of the Club’s football department.

Beveridge has shown great faith in the emerging young talent in his playing group, blooding 12 debutants in his first 41 games.

Bulldogs Director of Football Chris Grant said the extension was another promising sign for the future of the Club.

“We are really excited to secure Luke to the end of 2020, after what we believe has been an outstanding start to his senior coaching career. “Not only has Luke achieved results on the field, we are also pleased with the way he builds relationships with our staff and players and the rate at which our playing group is growing and developing.

“We are excited and optimistic for the next four years under Luke’s leadership.”

Beveridge said he was looking forward to building on the foundations already laid at the Club.

“Our football department and playing group are on a journey and I am really proud to be able to continue that with them.

“As a group we have high expectations and I am committed to working with our staff, coaches and players to continue to progress this great Club.”

Before joining the Bulldogs, Beveridge spent time as an assistant coach at Hawthorn and Collingwood, following a successful three years coaching in the VAFA at St Bede’s/Mentone where he led them to three consecutive premierships.

hujsh
02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Yay!!!!

bornadog
02-08-2016, 02:55 PM
How many premierships can he win by then.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-08-2016, 02:56 PM

All i want is 1!!!!

Any more is a bonus

The Doctor
02-08-2016, 03:06 PM
legend

fantastic

made my day

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Good news story. I reckon other clubs would have been asking about his plans. Great to get the coach signed long term to show the club is long term in its thinking. On field anyway.

Murphy'sLore
02-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Hooray! I would follow Bevo into gunfire, I hope the players feel the same.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Great stuff.

Perfect fit for us.

dadsgirl16
02-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Now that has put a smile on the dial!!!

Bulldog4life
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Fantastic news. Very happy. Another reason why players will want to stay with us.

ledge
02-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Great news .. Looking at coaches now I wonder how many will be around in 2020 ?

Eastdog
02-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Great news.

The club is in good hands with Luke. I didn't know what to expect when we initially got him but he has turned our team completely around since he has been here. Rocket was similar in improving our side but didn't win the premiership yet did a good job but I'm hoping Bevo can take us all the way.

G-Mo77
02-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Usually I'd say "Gee, that's a bit long" not this time. Fantastic to have him locked and loaded until the next decade.

Scraggers
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm going to be a 'nay-sayer'.

I love Bevo and believe he is a perfect fit for our club. I hope he stays long enough to break Malthouse's record ... BUT ... I have a problem extending coaches when they are already contracted. We did this with McCartney and Rhode. (Two bad examples I know). At this stage, he has coached 44(ish) games of senior AFL. He is still finding his feet. I would have committed to him verbally that we would like to extend the contract, but then waited until we were half way through next year before putting pen to paper.

Remi Moses
02-08-2016, 05:45 PM
I think one of the reasons also is that some of the big boys have coaches in trouble .
Hardwick is in dire trouble, and another underachieving year will have Bucks in the poo.
We've been burnt before, but confident in Bevo

Rocco Jones
02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm going to be a 'nay-sayer'.

I love Bevo and believe he is a perfect fit for our club. I hope he stays long enough to break Malthouse's record ... BUT ... I have a problem extending coaches when they are already contracted. We did this with McCartney and Rhode. (Two bad examples I know). At this stage, he has coached 44(ish) games of senior AFL. He is still finding his feet. I would have committed to him verbally that we would like to extend the contract, but then waited until we were half way through next year before putting pen to paper.

It's not just about Beveridge, it's about showing faith to a direction/system. We are going after a couple of players and I believe Beveridge will be a massive asset in trying to secure these guys. It will help us in that aspect. It will help us when negotiating with our current players who seem to love him.

Also, he seems to be really awesome at coaching!

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Sweet,Gnarly Dudes ;)
Like Totally Awesome :cool:

bulldogtragic
02-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Apparently Hurley absolutely loves Bevo already and told the club "if you want me to join the dogs until 2020, Bevo has to too". Tick.

bornadog
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM

This ^^^

Not a bad record as well for his almost 2 seasons. Way ahead of any other coach we have had. (so far)

Year 1 - 14 wins 9 losses including a final.

Year 2 - 12 wins 6 losses with 4 games to go plus finals

Percentage wins to date: 63.4%. Win the next 4 and it jumps to 67% :)

Ghost Dog
02-08-2016, 06:46 PM
We are the Beveridge Bulldogs. Great news this. Leap of faith by the club, and Bevo but it's with the best of intentions.

GVGjr
02-08-2016, 06:58 PM

Two, happy with one but want two

Rocket Science
02-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Tremendous news.

Now watch him do a knee.

Throughandthrough
02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
I was gonna type "he's no McCartney", in an attempt to be funny, but after about a minute I still cant remember the first name of our last Coach. I don't know if that says more about me or him.

ledge
02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
We had to sign him, a few clubs looking for a coach shortly , he would have been on the radar big time.

ratsmac
02-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Super news!

I remember when Plough was coaching us and I had faith that he would get the most out of the players. I feel the same with Beveridge if not more so. I very pleased that the club and Luke have agreed to extend his tenure. The club love him, the players love him, the fans love him, Barrett hates him, it's a match made in heaven.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Super news!

I remember when Plough was coaching us and I had faith that he would get the most out of the players. I feel the same with Beveridge if not more so. I very pleased that the club and Luke have agreed to extend his tenure. The club love him, the players love him, the fans love him, Barrett hates him, it's a match made in heaven.

And we all nothing Barrett.

hujsh
02-08-2016, 07:39 PM
I was gonna type "he's no McCartney", in an attempt to be funny, but after about a minute I still cant remember the first name of our last Coach. I don't know if that says more about me or him.

Paul? Jason? Ah it'll come to us later

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 07:40 PM
So excited. I know Bevo will be the coach to bring us that illusive flag

comrade
02-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Brisbane and Richmond could be sniffing around for a coach by year's end. I can absolutely see the AFL helping Brisbane to secure a top line coach with a stack of cash ala Melbourne and Paul Roos.

Extending him now locks him away, gives him the security to keep working on his long term plan and also gives a player like Hurley a sense of stability.

Makes sense all round.

whythelongface
02-08-2016, 08:25 PM
It's not just about Beveridge, it's about showing faith to a direction/system. We are going after a couple of players and I believe Beveridge will be a massive asset in trying to secure these guys. It will help us in that aspect. It will help us when negotiating with our current players who seem to love him.

too right Rocco. By signing him up for a long period of time we are saying that we have faith in the coach and the system that he has brought in. This will provide stability to not only the current team but also to those who are thinking to join a club that will peak in the short to medium term.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Great news to give us some momentum after a tough couple of weeks.

westdog54
02-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Titus O'Reilly:

Luke Beveridge has signed an extension until the end of the 2020 season. They should be getting a few players back from injury by then.

Come on, that's funny.

Oh yeah, great news BTW.

strebla
02-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Like many happy to keep him away from other clubs but I doubt he would leave this list who in their right mind would. Well done by the club now let's shop early and smash the Roos .

jeemak
02-08-2016, 11:02 PM
I personally think an extension of this length is too much and not required. Jumping in the deep end early is jumping in the deep end early, the longer you commit the greater the risk profile and while I'd be happy with an extension of some sort - or options to extend based on performance - four years (from now) is a long time in coaching.

This is a coach who is yet to actually have to deal with expectation of the levels that will be presented to him after this year (internally and externally), and whilst that's not to diminish what he's already achieved it's still very early days in his career and he's still an unknown in that respect.

We're also a team that is great in two thirds of the ground, but seemingly in all sorts of difficulty in the remaining third. It could be a personnel issue, it could be a systems issue, it could be an existing player development and experience issue, it could be a line coaching issue, it could be a senior coaching issue or it could be a mixture of all of these factors. My concern is we won't know what it is until we get the personnel back, experience into the team or have a change in line coaches (forward and midfield - they are complementary positions, afterall) , and even after then there's a significant chance that none of it will make a difference and we'll find out Bev is limited like a number of very good coaches are.

With these concerns set aside, I'm extremely happy and proud to see the club become what it has in such a short time since Shoctober, and Bev has been the biggest part of that in a group of large contributors. If going hard on his contract is another act of boldness that will make or break the club and designed to quash the status quo, then perhaps this is a risk we need to take.

ledge
03-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Our forward issue has been a problem since Hall left, but I do remember our previous coach saying the forward line would be the last to progress.
With great talent but just young on our list, in that department I do believe it will be a very good forward line once Boyd, stringer and a couple of other experienced heads come in , Crameri being one and maybe another experienced one we get in the trade period. Get the delivery right and this side had the makings of a generation of success

KT31
03-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Good news, normally would be apprehensive about an extension with a Coach so early into his contract but with the vultures circling and Bevo seeming to be the right fit for us I'm pretty happy.

Throughandthrough
03-08-2016, 01:15 PM
definitely a good idea in my opinion. Hos price would be high. he's basically done nothing wrong since he started and his stocks are high. Richmond, etc etc would love to grab him if they had a chance.