PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog off FA list as Morris signs new deal

bornadog
04-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-04/old-dog-off-the-free-agency-list-as-dale-morris-signs-new-oneyear-deal)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2016%20-%20Galleries/Rd18%20v%20St%20Kilda/457255-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

DALE Morris will extend his AFL career into a 13th season next year after signing a new one-year deal with the Western Bulldogs.

Morris, 33, has played on a year-to-year basis in recent seasons and AFL.com.au understands the defender and the Bulldogs recently agreed to terms for him to play on in 2017.

Morris was set to become a free agent at the end of this season, but his name was missing when the AFL released an updated list of 2016's group on Thursday afternoon.

Richmond forward/ruckman Tyrone Vickery, Fremantle pair Chris Mayne and Zac Clarke, Collingwood key defender Nathan Brown and twin brother and West Coast tall Mitch Brown are among the higher-profile names still eligible to become free agents in October.

Vickery's future has been the subject of much speculation amid the Tigers' disappointing season, while Mayne is widely tipped to be on his way out of Freo, with North Melbourne considered his most likely destination.

Clarke has also attracted interest from Victorian clubs and, given Fremantle is expected to be active this trade period, his future is unlikely to become clear until later in the year.

The Brown twins will be in demand in a market in which key defenders are highly sought after, with industry sources suggesting Mitch is the most likely of the pair to be at a new home in 2017.

A host of veterans remain on the free agency list including Luke Hodge, Kade Simpson, Adelaide's Scott Thompson, Dane Swan, Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright and Sean Dempster.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson said in June he hoped Hodge, 32, played on next season, and the Hawks skipper is understood to want to continue, while Simpson, 32, has said he is in talks with Carlton about a new deal.

Enright, 34, and Dempster, 32, remain key members of their respective backlines at Geelong and St Kilda and appear well placed to play on if they wish, as does midfielder Thompson at Adelaide.

However, Swan's decision will be influenced by the progress of his rehabilitation from a badly broken leg and foot, and Bartel has triggered a contract extension for 2017 but is grappling with whether there will be a regular senior position for him at the Cats next season.

North Melbourne also faces some tough decisions on veterans Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Daniel Wells.

Wells seems almost certain to play on next season, but North could be reluctant to give the injury-prone star the two-year deal he is understood to want.

Of the other three Roos, AFL games record holder Harvey appears best placed to play on, with North's decisions on Petrie and Firrito complicated by the fact fellow veterans Jarrad Waite and Nick Dal Santo are also out of contract.

Morris played the Bulldogs' first 17 games this season before missing last Friday night's loss to Geelong with a minor hamstring injury.

The 2008 All Australian is a chance to return against North Melbourne on Saturday night and remains a key member of the Bulldogs' defence.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Has had a great season this year and deserves another year.

Grantysghost
04-08-2016, 06:14 PM
First picked in my dogs team, great news!

chef
04-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Yay.

ratsmac
04-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Great stuff Moz! I love that bloke.

Axe Man
04-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Only Boyd yet to sign on for next year from our old timers brigade (I'm assuming Minson won't be required).

I don't think anyone will mind Dale, Bob & Matt retiring at the same time after they've won the 2017 flag.;)

Throughandthrough
04-08-2016, 06:38 PM
#Barratt

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Great news. Great to have Dale's experience again for another year. So good for our upcoming young group.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm starting to think the club already has these deals signed and releases the good news when we need an upper.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Great news. Still our best defender.

Smads57
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Really pleased with this news - would love that he and Murph/Boyd get to play together in 2017 GF (2016 would be better of course!).

Jeanette54
04-08-2016, 09:07 PM
So great to see Dale (the thinking woman's footballer of choice) going around again for the Doggies.

G-Mo77
04-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Great news. Still our best defender.

Is that concerning? I'd like to think we'd be a little less reliant on him at this stage of his career. As you said he is still our best.

LostDoggy
04-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Great news :)

hujsh
04-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Is that concerning? I'd like to think we'd be a little less reliant on him at this stage of his career. As you said he is still our best.

It would be concerning if he weren't as good as ever. For pure defensive ability Morris is a rare find and most teams wouldn't have anyone as good as he's been.

So for me it's not so much that our defensive stocks are poor but that Morris is still so great.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2016, 10:32 PM

It would be concerning if he weren't as good as ever. For pure defensive ability Morris is a rare find and most teams wouldn't have anyone as good as he's been.

So for me it's not so much that our defensive stocks are poor but that Morris is still so great.

Answered it perfectly. He & Bevo think 2018 is a good chance too. The candidates to take over in Adams, Collins & Cordy (possibly Roberts, less so Hamling) all need another year or two of development so to have Morris still performing to his level is enormous for the team and these guys too (not throwing them to the wolves too soon, and them getting games on performance). Morris is just a dour gun, and to think he was slaving away at Doutta Stars before we took him as a rookie.

LostDoggy
05-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Fabulous news. An all-time great Bulldog with plenty left to offer.

From that article, also really enjoyed reading that Norf is likely destination for Chris Mayne. Way to go Roos.

ratsmac
05-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Answered it perfectly. He & Bevo think 2018 is a good chance too. The candidates to take over in Adams, Collins & Cordy (possibly Roberts, less so Hamling) all need another year or two of development so to have Morris still performing to his level is enormous for the team and these guys too (not throwing them to the wolves too soon, and them getting games on performance). Morris is just a dour gun, and to think he was slaving away at Doutta Stars before we took him as a rookie.

I thought he was playing Werribee reserves when Rocket spotted him and wanted to rookie him.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2016, 12:05 AM
I thought he was playing Werribee reserves when Rocket spotted him and wanted to rookie him.

I thought he was playing at Doutta Stars with Minton Connell originally.

bornadog
05-08-2016, 12:08 AM
I thought he was playing at Doutta Stars with Minton Connell originally.
According to his Bio, he was recruited via Werribee, which is what I remember

bulldogtragic
05-08-2016, 12:15 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/douttas-give-dale-morris-lifeline/story-fn53klea-1226029506920

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2016, 08:31 AM
I am going to be so sad when Moz finally hangs his boots up. I don't think I've ever seen a player who from game 1 just slotted in and looked immediately like a seasoned AFL footballer. He has traits that every parent would be proud to see exhibited by their children beyond the sporting arena; determination, resilience, resoluteness, application, dedication, unassuming, team focused, calmness under pressure, empathetic, genuine and honest in nature.

Too often we say 'so and so was an amazing footballer.. but geez what a crap person'. Moz clearly is a good footballer, an amazing teammate and a sincerely good person.
If ever there was a footballer I wish could play forever and keep father time in perpetual abeyance its Moz.

Twodogs
05-08-2016, 09:27 AM
I am going to be so sad when Moz finally hangs his boots up. I don't think I've ever seen a player who from game 1 just slotted in and looked immediately like a seasoned AFL footballer. He has traits that every parent would be proud to see exhibited by their children beyond the sporting arena; determination, resilience, resoluteness, application, dedication, unassuming, team focused, calmness under pressure, empathetic, genuine and honest in nature.

Too often we say 'so and so was an amazing footballer.. but geez what a crap person'. Moz clearly is a good footballer, an amazing teammate and a sincerely good person.
If ever there was a footballer I wish could play forever and keep father time in perpetual abeyance its Moz.

Absolutely.

Mofra
05-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Good news - his ability to play tall or short helps us no end. Hopefully our taller kids develop and he doesn't have to take the no 1 forward next year.

The Doctor
05-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Morris is one of the very best players I've ever seen represent our club. I'm also thrilled this unassuming champion is continuing his career with us.

aker39
05-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Morris is one of the very best players I've ever seen represent our club. I'm also thrilled this unassuming champion is continuing his career with us.

This was summed up best by the fact that the only way the media found out that he had re-signed was when they looked at the out of contract free agent list and his name wasn't on it. He would have been happy to go on without any announcement being made.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Absolutely.

I think that was exemplified by the mutual respect and back patting he and Nick Riewoldt were giving each other, last time we played. Incredible given the battles they have had over the journey. Was good to see.

westdog54
05-08-2016, 09:06 PM
I think that was exemplified by the mutual respect and back patting he and Nick Riewoldt were giving each other, last time we played. Incredible given the battles they have had over the journey. Was good to see.

I'd genuinely love our final round match next year to be against the Saints, just so they both get one last crack at each other before they retire.

KT31
06-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Great news, hopefully he can sustain his form for another couple of seasons.

Remi Moses
06-08-2016, 05:52 PM
An absolute gem of a player and bloke .

Bulldog Revolution
06-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Brilliant news, love the way he goes about, love the way he represents the club - he's the epitome of what it means to be a bulldog

strebla
07-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Along with Bob just the two most genuine players we have had go Moz .

Ghost Dog
07-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Let's himself down very rarely, seldom beaten in the air, despite giving away height. Reads the play fantastically. Kicking is a bit limited but makes up for it by giving every inch of his being. Looking really fit and hope he can keep going for a Fletcher-like career.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 08:08 PM
How good was his smoother at the top of goal square in the last quarter? Just brilliant. You can probably count on one hand how many times he's been well beaten.

Ozza
07-08-2016, 11:54 PM
It's probably a good thing that I'm not the list manager.....I'd have given him 5 years.

Just an absolute star defender. I don't usually get into the All Australian discussions, but Morris should seriously be considered this year - just an amazing player.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Dale on the footy show. 23:44
https://youtu.be/g8epURgribs

Props to Fletch.
Talks about Mitch with Nathan Brown. Obvious connection there. Mitch has had a plate put on his tibia.

bornadog
09-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Dale on the footy show. 23:44
https://youtu.be/g8epURgribs

Props to Fletch.
Talks about Mitch with Nathan Brown. Obvious connection there. Mitch has had a plate put on his tibia.

Thanks for that. Gee the members on that panel are a bunch of wankers.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks for that. Gee the members on that panel are a bunch of wankers.

I must admit, I did laugh at the segment where they show Dal Santo predicting Hawthorn will not lose any of their remaining games this season. The president of North then turns to him and reminds him " You do know they play North Melbourne."

bornadog
09-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Official Now (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-09/morris-signs-on-for-2017)

Veteran Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris will play on in 2017 after signing a one year contract extension with the Club.
The 32-year-old Morris has made a name for himself as a tough, versatile defender over his 225-game career, earning All-Australian honours in 2008, and has continued his good form into the 2016 season, averaging career highs in disposals and marks per game.

Morris welcomed the opportunity to extend his career into a 13th season at Whitten Oval.
“I’m really happy to be given the opportunity to go around again for this great Club,” he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“To be part of this journey alongside my teammates means the world to me,” he said.
Western Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney said Morris’ form was at career-best levels and that the defender also played an important role educating a young, developing group.

“Dale has been a really strong contributor for this club for a long period of time, and this year he has gone to another level again.”
“He’s a popular member of our group, and our young players learn a great amount from him.”

Morris made his debut in round five, 2005 against the Adelaide Crows after being taken at pick No.19 in the 2004 Rookie Draft following four years with Werribee in the VFL.