PDA

View Full Version : The mix

Mantis
08-08-2016, 08:23 AM
I've been banging on for quite a while in various trade & game day threads that our 'player mix' hasn't been right in that we have been playing too many inside mids who are slow and aren't anything more than average by hand or foot.

This week we added Hrovat & Webb who whilst still very raw have a bit more to their game than just being 'hard nuts' ( not saying some others don't either)

So we need to add Macrae & Libba back in as they both have elite qualities, but as far as the 'mix' of players that we take into games going forward, well I think last weeks team looked much better.

Thoughts.

LostDoggy
08-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Good topic. We have some good developing talent in Dale, Williams and Lynch that offer a point of difference. Dale's development this year has been a little slower than hoped.

Will be an interesting trade period, we have a couple of tradeable inside mid types who may well be considered surplus to requirements, particularly given Dunkley and Webb are increasingly looking good additions to the midfield mix.

Mantis
08-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Agree PP and I guess the point to be made is to be bold and have faith in the young blokes (who have points of difference) and look at trades to either add player types we are missing or lacking to improve our draft position.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Completely agree. We are also playing an extra tall. Your whole being worth more than the sum of it's parts thinking.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Good topic. We have some good developing talent in Dale, Williams and Lynch that offer a point of difference. Dale's development this year has been a little slower than hoped.

Will be an interesting trade period, we have a couple of tradeable inside mid types who may well be considered surplus to requirements, particularly given Dunkley and Webb are increasingly looking good additions to the midfield mix.
Given the heart the players have shown in the last 6 months, it's going to be sad to see a few of them traded or leave. It's been a great season.

Mofra
08-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Macrae started quite outside and has added an inside element to his game as the years have gone by. I'd actually like to see him use his sidestep more.

Libba on the other hand started a solely inside but this year pre-injury we saw him getting released on his left leg a little more (which is elite).

Stevens out was the obvious one that changed our set up for mine - he plays like an inside midfielder that tries too much. I like him but it seems we're finding a way to win without him.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Certainly felt better without Stevens in regards the mix. His disposal is a worry for mine.
In terms of speed, interesting to note Hunter can beat Bont in a 2km time trial. Was a bit surprised.
We get Smith, Libba into the mix, with Webb, Hrovat, Dale and Jack back I think we have some decent depth.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Libba on the other hand started a solely inside but this year pre-injury we saw him getting released on his left leg a little more (which is elite).

On the run or from a set shot, Libba is close to our most reliable shot for goal.

kruder
08-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Yeah agree I actually called for Dunkley to be dropped(post GC game) after Dale had the 28 posy 4 goal game due to the so called mix your talking about. Dunkley has been solid indeed and with all the inside mids out he deserves to play but he basically brings the same attributes as others that have more experience for mine. A breakout performance of Hrovat,Webb or Dale has far more upside for the group because they provide traits that we currently don't have in the side

It's also the reason why I was critical of the coaching group against St Kilda for not pushing JJ higher up the park. JJ is absolute jet his field kicking and decision making has improved out of sight and I think we need to get more aggressive in the way that we use his strengths.

Sounds like Lynch has had a solid year at VFL level and he certainly adds traits that we currently lack. From what I have seen I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make his way onto the senior list next year.

josie
08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Great thread, watched replay on youtube of Saturday's Game and gotta say Webb and Hrovat's better delivery stood out like sore thumb.

Also I prefer Jong to Stevens, even though I love Stevens. I think Jong has a bit of X factor including speed and is still on the improve (yes he does more turnovers than say Libba or Bont, however if Saturday night is typical of the games we can expect from hereon in, then that's pretty darn good). Also Koby is perhaps more injury prone.

Also think Bailey Williams showed great delivery and composure in his handful of games to show he is a keep on list player, as is MacLean.

I also really hope we persevere with Bailey Dale as I think he really has something smooth about him, despite not winning much of his own ball in VFL/AFL and this year his improvement stalling a bit. We've been spoilt a bit by our mostly great recruiting of recent years.

These players give their all, and it will be sad to see (I'm guessing) a few of them traded and maybe one or two delists. Especially as they seem like such a tight knit group.

comrade
08-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Was pretty chuffed with that kick from Cordy to a streaming Hrovat. Good big guys who can field kick it like that (T Boyd is another) are worth their weight in gold.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Was pretty chuffed with that kick from Cordy to a streaming Hrovat. Good big guys who can field kick it like that (T Boyd is another) are worth their weight in gold.

Speaking of which, how good was Tom Boyd's little around the corner spot up kick? Whilst I like the idea of him as a permanent forward, he's actually got a really good field kick which could add a bit when he plays as the big man around the ground.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Back on topic, I think we have the right players coming through over the past couple of drafts. As these players develop other areas of their games and become more rounded, as well as build their fitness and strength, we're going to have a very well rounded playing list.

As evidenced by this season, both down back and now with our inside mids, having depth in areas is a good thing. We must have about the deepest list in the competition now with some genuine star power too.

Hopefully we can see this balance over the remaining rounds and finals.

bornadog
08-08-2016, 09:52 PM
I would love to see another mid with JJ's pace to add to the mix, who can play inside if they have to but is there to stream away from packs after the Libba's, Wallis and Bonts extract the ball

1eyedog
08-08-2016, 09:59 PM
I would love to see another mid with JJ's pace to add to the mix, who can play inside if they have to but is there to stream away from packs after the Libba's, Wallis and Bonts extract the ball

Yeah someone with wheels must be high on the list this time.

azabob
08-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Why cant JJ play midfield?

bornadog
08-08-2016, 11:31 PM

I don't see him as a midfielder, besides he is too valuable running off HBF

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 12:08 AM

Now now, don't start moving the magnets around. You will upset things :D

Mofra
09-08-2016, 10:43 AM
He could play wing. I wouldn't want him getting caught up in congestion.

Mantis
09-08-2016, 11:23 AM
He could play wing. I wouldn't want him getting caught up in congestion.

That would be ideal.. Playing the Smith or Hill role that they perform for the Hawks.

We need him getting forward of centre more so he can use his run & elite kicking skills to impact the scoreboard.

Bulldog Revolution
09-08-2016, 11:32 AM
That would be ideal.. Playing the Smith or Hill role that they perform for the Hawks.

We need him getting forward of centre more so he can use his run & elite kicking skills to impact the scoreboard.

And the more we have Biggs, suckling and Boyd all available it gives us the flexibility to do this