PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd’s mega deal could come to bite the club, former Western Bulldog Nathan Brown says

Eastdog
08-08-2016, 02:29 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/tom-boyds-mega-deal-could-come-to-bite-the-club-former-western-bulldog-nathan-brown-says/news-story/2702f57a23f5716f6a69a88aabaa6a7b

Tom Boyd’s mega deal could come to bite the club, former Western Bulldog Nathan Brown says

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
August 6, 2016 7:13pm

FORMER Western Bulldog star Nathan Brown says the club would not pay spearhead Tom Boyd $1 million a year if it had its time over again.

The club has strongly backed Boyd in the wake of claims the young full forward should take a pay cut.

Geelong great Cameron Mooney said a pay cut would help take some of the searing pressure off the 20-year-old.

Boyd played his best game for the club against Geelong last weekend but Brown said the deal may yet “hurt” the Dogs’ list build.

“Do you reckon (Bulldogs’ president) Peter Gordon ... If he was able to rewind it 18 months and know where they are right now I guarantee you they (Dogs) wouldn’t do that (Tom Boyd) deal,” Brown said on 3AW.

“There’s no way Tom Boyd would be at the Bulldogs and it might hurt them down the track.

“One million bucks a year is a fair chunk of change. He would be the highest-paid player at the football club.

“I hope it works out for him but on face value, for where they (Dogs) are right now ... they would not want that deal right now.

“If they had the choice again they would not want that deal.”

The Dogs have locked away all their priority young stars such as Marcus Bontempelli and Jake Stringer to long-term deals.

But fringe midfielder Lin Jong is unsigned for next season and is being courted by Collingwood.

Gordon was adamant the club would not entertain slashing Boyd’s $6 million pay cheque.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge this week confirmed the club was chasing banned Bombers’ prized big man Michael Hurley.

Essendon remains confident Hurley, 26, will stay at Tullamarine. He is contracted at Essendon for one more season.

Brown said Hurley was worth a seven-figure salary at a new club next season.

St Kilda is also chasing Hurley.

“I would be paying one million (dollars), maybe even more for Michael Hurley to be at my footy club,” Brown said.

Eastdog
08-08-2016, 02:30 PM
They are still going on about this!

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 02:32 PM
“Do you reckon (Bulldogs’ president) Peter Gordon ... If he was able to rewind it 18 months and know where they are right now I guarantee you they (Dogs) wouldn’t do that (Tom Boyd) deal,” Brown said on 3AW.

What rubbish. Peter would do it again, and any Bulldog fan I know would back him. We can see the player he is becoming, his support is getting better and so will he. He's done nothing but improve, bar one hiccup he owned up to.

Eastdog
08-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Tom has taken great strides this year. He will get there.

Remi Moses
08-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I can't be arsed responding

Bulldog4life
08-08-2016, 02:50 PM
I can't be arsed responding

You just did:)

The Doctor
08-08-2016, 03:10 PM
I don't think I've disliked a former Dogs player more than Nafan Brown. What a tosser.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2016, 03:23 PM
I don't think I've disliked a former Dogs player more than Nafan Brown. What a tosser.

Yes and his ego is even bigger now than when he played with us. Hard to believe.

bornadog
08-08-2016, 03:35 PM
I heard Nafen on 3AW on Saturday on the way to the game, and they carried on how Hurley would be going to the Saints and we can't afford him due to Boyd.

I would love to get Hurley and stick it up all these journos.

ledge
08-08-2016, 03:43 PM
He obviously didn't listen how we banked our salary cap and can afford him !
If your going to make comments, do your homework first !

Dancin' Douggy
08-08-2016, 04:06 PM
I totally agree.
If we get Hurley they can all shut up about the Boyd deal.

I heard somewhere that Hurley doesn't like Carlisle......... hope that's true.

ledge
08-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Then Barrett will Jump on the "we paid to much for Hurley" train or jump off the EJ bridge.

ledge
08-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I totally agree.
If we get Hurley they can all shut up about the Boyd deal.

I heard somewhere that Hurley doesn't like Carlisle......... hope that's true.

Well I hope he doesn't,wasn't Carlisle the one sniffing lines?

Twodogs
08-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Well I hope he doesn't,wasn't Carlisle the one sniffing lines?

Yep.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Then Barrett will Jump on the "we paid to much for Hurley" train or jump off the EJ bridge.

Jump. Pushed. Either works for me.

There's a photo on Nafan at the front desk of the Whitten Oval with 'do not let this idiot back in ever'. How he speaks for us is incredulous...

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Jump. Pushed. Either works for me.

There's a photo on Nafan at the front desk of the Whitten Oval with 'do not let this idiot back in ever'. How he speaks for us is incredulous...

I heard Nathan Brown on the radio say that in 2008-10 he watched the prelims hoping we would lose. He had come to realise that he had made a mistake leaving us and going to Richmond and thought that he wouldn't be able to stand it if we'd gone on to win a flag and he had walked out on the chance to play in a premiership. He also said that he thought he could have been the difference in a couple of the prelims and if he'd stayed maybe we would have won a flag.

Flog. I'd never really minded him until then.