PDA

View Full Version : GWS and Lachie Whitfield - Drugs Investigation

jeemak
29-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Remember, nothing has been proved and I'm sure the super sleuths at AFL House will investigate this thoroughly.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-afl-investigates-gws-giants-over-drugs-allegations-20160829-gr41b6.html

1eyedog
29-08-2016, 10:39 PM
This is so 2013.

Greystache
29-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Text messages hey? Hmmm better lose his phone, that will put an end to the investigation.

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 10:51 PM
If true then there are some real geniuses helping to run the show at the plastics.

Even if he failed the test it would have been a first strike and nobody would have known. Now all three face 2-4 year bans. How stupid can you get?

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Text messages hey? Hmmm better lose his phone, that will put an end to the investigation.

Luckily the expert in making sure mobile phones get lost, good and proper, is right there in Sydney. As a bonus he can tell him where all the best meetings are.

jeemak
29-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Luckily the expert in making sure mobile phones get lost, good and proper, is right there in Sydney. As a bonus he can tell him where all the best meetings are.

Conveniently they can consult within the next two weeks at ANZ.

jeemak
29-08-2016, 11:00 PM
You'd think the investigation is reasonably well down the track and evidence identified if third party text messages to the club are being reviewed.

I can't wait to see how the AFL covers this one up, remembering those installed within the GWS management structure are AFL approved.

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Conveniently they can consult within the next two weeks at ANZ.

There you go. Things are looking up already.

Collingwood will be happy they shafted Neil Balme for Gubby Allen now that Allen is looking at a two year ban. He must have known about this when he took the job?

Happy Days
29-08-2016, 11:52 PM
The AFL probably bought the gas for him.

If what's happened is true then everyone involved should get 2 years. But they won't.

jeemak
30-08-2016, 12:50 AM
The AFL probably bought the gas for him.

If what's happened is true then everyone involved should get 2 years. But they won't.

It's the prospect of the club hiding it that makes it so bad. I've got no issue with young folks letting it rip if doing so doesn't ruin careers and clubs. But that's the issue with professional sport, you can't have it all. As an aside, if I avoided a drug test deliberately I'd lose my job without a single strike, and I am office bound.

As a second aside.....if you all can afford me the luxury......if I have a hint of any illicit substance in my system (as a white collar worker) I'll get the sack no questions asked.

Remi Moses
30-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Overseas athlete ... Boo hiss cheat
One of ours .... Looking for carpet and a broom

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 02:29 AM
It's the prospect of the club hiding it that makes it so bad. I've got no issue with young folks letting it rip if doing so doesn't ruin careers and clubs. But that's the issue with professional sport, you can't have it all. As an aside, if I avoided a drug test deliberately I'd lose my job without a single strike, and I am office bound.

As a second aside.....if you all can afford me the luxury......if I have a hint of any illicit substance in my system (as a white collar worker) I'll get the sack no questions asked.

Me too. Avoid a drug test and you're done. No appeal, no fond farewell.

G-Mo77
30-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Ooh a suspension coming for the AFL's baby. Who am I kidding it is GWS afterall.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/devblog/data/images/20160225_nothing_to_see_here.jpg

bulldogtragic
30-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Any tribunal gets a directive to adhere to the 'AFEL comfortable satisfaction threshold'. This test exonerated doped players which WADA then had suspended. Whitfield is fine provided they make up a bullshit story that allows the AFEL to not be 'comfortably satisfied' with the vague and baseless rumours...

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Any tribunal gets a directive to adhere to the 'AFEL comfortable satisfaction threshold'. This test exonerated doped players which WADA then had suspended. Whitfield is fine provided they make up a bullshit story that allows the AFEL to not be 'comfortably satisfied' with the vague and baseless rumours...

WADA haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their unseemly haste to railroad the Essendon players. Let's wait until the appeal is finished before we celebrate anything.

Anyway Whitfield has 'fessed up, hasn't he? I don't think there will be a hearing to assess guilt, just to sort the penalty out.

Greystache
30-08-2016, 09:35 AM

I am confident the AFL will investigate this matter thoroughly before clearing Whitfield of any charges.

bornadog
30-08-2016, 09:49 AM
I am confident the AFL will investigate this matter thoroughly before clearing Whitfield of any charges.

Well GWS are in the finals, we can't stuff up there chances now can we. :D

Greystache
30-08-2016, 10:37 AM
WADA haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their unseemly haste to railroad the Essendon players. Let's wait until the appeal is finished before we celebrate anything.

Anyway Whitfield has 'fessed up, hasn't he? I don't think there will be a hearing to assess guilt, just to sort the penalty out.

But again WADA didn't find anyone guilty, an independent court (CAS) did.

The AFEL tribunal was supposed to be a panel hand selected by the AFEL to be independent. Instead they so forcefully found the players not guilty, conveniently by deciding the supply chain was broken before the need to determine whether the players had done anything wrong themselves, they forced WADA to challenge the case in a impartial court.

Following the AFEL's standard procedure of hanging an arms length a scapegoat, they managed to find Dank guilty of all charges and banned him for life using the same evidence they found wasn't satisfactory to use against the players.

I suspect in this case they'll probably ban a PA for 2-4 years for an administration screw up which led to Whitfield missing the test, meanwhile the players and officials will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

ledge
30-08-2016, 11:15 AM
It was recreational drugs though not PEDs wasn't it ? Big difference

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 11:16 AM
But again WADA didn't find anyone guilty, an independent court (CAS) did.

The AFEL tribunal was supposed to be a panel hand selected by the AFEL to be independent. Instead they so forcefully found the players not guilty, conveniently by deciding the supply chain was broken before the need to determine whether the players had done anything wrong themselves, they forced WADA to challenge the case in a impartial court.

Following the AFEL's standard procedure of hanging an arms length a scapegoat, they managed to find Dank guilty of all charges and banned him for life using the same evidence they found wasn't satisfactory to use against the players.

I suspect in this case they'll probably ban a PA for 2-4 years for an administration screw up which led to Whitfield missing the test, meanwhile the players and officials will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Absolutely correct on the last point. They are probably interviewing candidates for the scapegoat's job as we speak. "Well,what we are thinking is you come on board, we backdate some records for your commencement date and we can have your mea culpa Press Conference about lunchtime on your second day"

Greystache
30-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Absolutely correct on the last point. They are probably interviewing candidates for the scapegoat's job as we speak. "Well,what we are thinking is you come on board, we backdate some records for your commencement date and we can have your mea culpa Press Conference about lunchtime on your second day"

I understand Kyle Cheney is one of the candidates. He has experience in the field of AFEL anointed scapegoat of course. Not sure what his typing or diary management skills are like but I'm sure that would be well down the list of requirements for this particular PA role.

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 12:08 PM
I understand Kyle Cheney is one of the candidates. He has experience in the field of AFEL anointed scapegoat of course. Not sure what his typing or diary management skills are like but I'm sure that would be well down the list of requirements for this particular PA role.

Heh! He has exactly the kind of on the job experience of Being Thrown Under the Bus by the AFEL and not Complaining that the AFEL is looking for. The 2-4 year ban from sporting activities may be harder to square away for poor old Kyle but somebody has to pay a price. As long as it's not any of the guilty parties then life goes on.

I'm sure one of the nice people from the AFEL will explain it all to him. If they were allowed to talk to him that is...

Axe Man
30-08-2016, 12:11 PM
How the hell has this taken over a year to investigate? It stinks of the AFL hoping that nobody would find out.

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Was this started by an angry ex girlfriend ? Did I hear that correctly?

If so then this should be fun. I'll just make some popcorn.

Axe Man
30-08-2016, 12:13 PM
It was recreational drugs though not PEDs wasn't it ? Big difference

Irrelevant, as per the article in the OP:

A failed illicit drug test might only have drawn one strike under the illicit drug policy but in seeking to avoid a test, an athlete is also deemed to have sought to evade a performance enhancing drug test and consequently is open to a heavy penalty.

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Irrelevant, as per the article in the OP:

If he'd copped his whack in the first place it would be over now and no one would even be aware of it.

azabob
30-08-2016, 02:11 PM
If he'd copped his whack in the first place it would be over now and no one would even be aware of it.

But the irony is he or any other GWS player was not going to be tested during that period.

LostDoggy
30-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Presuming he doesn't already have a strike or two against him....

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 10:42 PM
But the irony is he or any other GWS player was not going to be tested during that period.

Oh for gods sake. What an idiot. What a pack of idiots. I would fair dinkum be over the moon if my son had to move interstate and effectively be under the charge of these brain surgeons running football clubs.

jeemak
30-08-2016, 11:32 PM
The story of a previous lover scorned is already permeating all types of media. We have our first scapegoat.

The fact the AFL has had this under investigation for over 12 months and hasn't been in any sense transparent over the matter (implications to the Collingwood and Brisbane football clubs and their hiring of two senior people with heavy influenc involved) points to the current administration being incompetent and unwilling to change after the EFC debacle. As it's now in the public domain it has been referred to ASADA, ain't it funny how these things are timed..........

Seriously, the AFL is FIFA on a smaller scale. It is taking the piss out of impassioned fans on a daily basis, knowing they are captive and not willing to turn off because of their emotional connections to the tribal origins of their clubs. It is a non-transparent and corrupt corporate fat cat that operates with football as a means to its administrative and controlling end. It is basically a professional services firm that uses Australian Rules Football to justify its own existence, or in lay terms, a leech.

LostDoggy
31-08-2016, 06:40 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lachie-whitfield-case-afl-probe-into-gws-giants-raises-disturbing-questions-20160830-gr4tji.html

Caroline Wilson covers the state of play well in this article. The inferences that those involved in a power struggle at Collingwood may be involved in promoting this issue are intriguing, she would unlikely chuck that in unless she has heard more than she can write about.

This may be harder for the AFEL to sweep under the carpet than they would like.

Sedat
31-08-2016, 07:59 AM
The story of a previous lover scorned is already permeating all types of media. We have our first scapegoat.
Bit like that woman who was outed as a Ch 7 employee (despite confidentiality needing to be adhered to as it was a police investigation) that 'overplayed' the Dustin Martin chopstick incident. I wonder if she backed down from the charges because she might have been 'paid a visit' from one of Dusty's old man's mates because they knew who she was ;)

I enjoy seeing AFL House squirm when such stories come to light - pity that most of the general population are blissfully ignorant of their duplicitous actions in protecting the brand at all costs.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 08:17 AM
I love that 'AFEL' has caught on as an acronym. :D

jeemak
31-08-2016, 09:45 AM

What's its meaning?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 09:50 AM
What's its meaning?

Australian Football Entertainment League. Or that's what I coined it.

Derived from WWE's name. Both run by a very well paid dictator, with completely contrived fixtures and favourable results for their favourites, and not about real competition or pure sport, but only about growing and protecting it's brand and all about tv rights and money.

Axe Man
31-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Gubby Allen with the ignore it and it might go away maneuver. Surely he needs to be sanctioned for his inaction even if there's no substance to the allegations?

ASADA tipped off about Lachie Whitfield drugs case after inaction by GWS Giants (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/asada-tipped-off-about-lachie-whitfield-drugs-case-after-inaction-by-gws-giants/news-story/1c21ef18cb6a9894cfb727646e6952e4)

THE whistleblower in the Lachie Whitfield drugs case tipped off the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority after two months of inaction by Greater Western Sydney football boss Graeme “Gubby” Allan.

ASADA confirmed it passed the woman’s allegations to the AFL, which announced on Tuesday it had completed a secret 13-month investigation.

Whitfield’s former girlfriend first made contact with Allan in May last year but did not hear back from the veteran administrator, who is now at Collingwood.

The Melbourne woman went back to Allan in July 2015 but this time also notified ASADA of her claims.

Allan then told GWS chief executive Dave Matthews, who immediately alerted the AFL.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Australian Football Entertainment League. Or that's what I coined it.

Derived from WWE's name. Both run by a very well paid dictator, with completely contrived fixtures and favourable results for their favourites, and not about real competition or pure sport, but only about growing and protecting it's brand and all about tv rights and money.

I thought you took it from the way Gerard Whately pronounces AFL.

Drunken Bum
31-08-2016, 02:37 PM

i am proud to have played my little part in this, have been using it for a few years now, is pleasing to see more and more people calling out the AFEL for what they truly are, my little black heart skips a beat every time i see it used <3

Go_Dogs
31-08-2016, 07:15 PM
i am proud to have played my little part in this, have been using it for a few years now, is pleasing to see more and more people calling out the AFEL for what they truly are, my little black heart skips a beat every time i see it used <3

I wish we could bring back Anderson Ball and those simpler times...

Twodogs
31-08-2016, 07:50 PM
I wish we could bring back Anderson Ball and those simpler times...

I can remember when the entire administration was Allen Alyett and Jack Hamilton and they did everything.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 10:29 PM
I can remember when the entire administration was Allen Alyett and Jack Hamilton and they did everything.
600 people now work in AFEL house

Twodogs
31-08-2016, 10:42 PM
600 people now work in AFEL house

They worked out of that little terrace house they converted into VFL House. They must have had maybe a staff of ten.

merantau
01-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Congratulations to all posters on this thread; it makes for very entertaining reading. Sharp, witty, ascerbic, comments that expose the AFEL for what it is. I was thinking the "E" was for "excuse". "Entertainment" makes more sense.

bornadog
01-09-2016, 09:14 AM
They worked out of that little terrace house they converted into VFL House. They must have had maybe a staff of ten.

Life was simple then, now the AFEL have TV rights in excess of $2billion and massive revenues from sponsorships, gate takings etc. In 1971, ABC paid $200,000 per year for TV rights.:) Boy have times changed.

Topdog
01-09-2016, 10:02 AM

This is probably where they shot themselves in the foot the most. How could Dank have done something so bad to receive a lifetime ban yet the players he was in charge of had nothing done to them?

Greystache
01-09-2016, 01:06 PM
This is probably where they shot themselves in the foot the most. How could Dank have done something so bad to receive a lifetime ban yet the players he was in charge of had nothing done to them?

They had to come up with some finding to show it wasn't a kangaroo court set up for a home team decision. Unfortunately like most AFEL contrived events these days they made a hash of it and produced an outcome that all but the most simple minded wouldn't buy. The days of people blindly believing whatever the AFEL throws out are long gone and they're the only ones that don't realise it. They absolutely shot themselves in the foot.

Without looking up the findings, I remember that they were comfortably satisfied that Dank successfully secured TB-4 from his network, and he injected it into players under his care as sports scientist, but only in roles that didn't involve AFEL players. Hence he's guilty and so is everyone else accept for our guys.

Sedat
01-09-2016, 01:21 PM
One thing you don't want to do is make an enemy of City Hall - I suspect that Grubby Allen did so with his handling of the Treloar trade and this is the AFEL's way of payback. They are frantically trying to concoct an outcome that completely exonerates Whitfield, slaps Lambert with a wet lettuce leaf and kicks Allen out of the competition for life (or a few years at least).

AFEL Makey Uppey at its finest.

bornadog
01-09-2016, 01:23 PM
One thing you don't want to do is make an enemy of City Hall - I suspect that Grubby Allen did so with his handling of the Treloar trade and this is the AFEL's way of payback. They are frantically trying to concoct an outcome that completely exonerates Whitfield, slaps Lambert with a wet lettuce leaf and kicks Allen out of the competition for life (or a few years at least).

AFEL Makey Uppey at its finest.

Penalty is 4 years for avoiding a drug test.

1eyedog
01-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Sleeping with the enemy. Problem for Lachie is she knows everything, it's the perfect ASADA witness really.

Doc26
01-09-2016, 02:22 PM

I truly thought it had become a humorous reference to the Australian Football and Essendon league, as if the AFL and Essendon had become a single entity.

Sedat
01-09-2016, 02:54 PM
AFEL will try and downgrade it or call it something else to get Whitfield off. But they'll hit Grubby with a ton of bricks - he is the Dank of this episode, and every episode needs a villain. They already have the scapegoat with the ex. girlfriend plastered all over the papers as some sort of scorned lover.

Twodogs
01-09-2016, 03:02 PM

2-4 years I thought. If true then this would be about as 4 years a case as you could see. Ham fisted cowboy antics right through to outright dishonesty. No self respecting tribunal could hand down anything less.

I wonder what the AFEL will come up with?

bornadog
01-09-2016, 03:56 PM
I wonder what the AFEL will come up with?

They will say it was a misunderstanding, and a vindictive girlfriend got it wrong. All in the AFL will be warned and end of story.

Remi Moses
01-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Don't stress, everything will come out in the coverup

comrade
01-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Vince will be hoping ASADA botch this up as badly as they did the Essendon case, and will be praying that WADA keeps their nose out of it.

westdog54
01-09-2016, 09:45 PM
They will say it was a misunderstanding, and a vindictive girlfriend got it wrong. All in the AFL will be warned and end of story.

Also Kyle Cheney will have to retract his statement, even though he hasn't made one in this matter. They'll find a way to bring him into it.

comrade
01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Also Kyle Cheney will have to retract his statement, even though he hasn't made one in this matter. They'll find a way to bring him into it.

Plot twist...Kyle Cheney is the girlfriend.

bornadog
01-09-2016, 10:32 PM

I laughed out loud when I read this.:D

Maybe his sister.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 10:36 PM

But he was joking! :D

Twodogs
01-09-2016, 11:57 PM

They could offer to let him out from under the bus for a bit. Long enough to make and retract a statement.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Now if Whitfield wins The Rising Star......:rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
02-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Now if Whitfield wins The Rising Star......:rolleyes:

Sorry mixed him up with Sydney dude for a second

GVGjr
24-10-2016, 08:15 PM
The excuses grown men come up with, a more cynical person would say concocted, highlights that honesty is a lost art in today's society.

Have a read of this article Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/giant-lachie-whitfield-claims-drug-texts-a-ruse-as-afl-antidoping-charges-loom-20161024-gs9k94.html)

I can't believe that a footy GM and two player welfare officers along with the player concerned would come up with an elaborate story to help Whitfield get out of a relationship that was going sour by confirming to the young lady who raised this with then the suspicions she had. Certainly a lack of welfare extended to her but I can't believe 3 experienced men and one immature player would allow a story to gain momentum. All concerned seem to have deleted the relevant text messages pertaining to the allegations.

Allan has hired a legal assassin to get him off but I hope they all cop the maximum penalty.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Appears they have all taken 'story' advice from Michael Talia, as he's a proven genius who 'beat' AFEL sanctions.

Greystache
24-10-2016, 09:14 PM
The AFL will accept deleted text messages as a dead end to investigating further, but ASADA won't. They AFEL will be fighting like hell to keep this in house or Whitefield could be in trouble. That difficult relationship coinciding with a migraine story would be laughed at anywhere outside of an AFEL tribunal.

comrade
24-10-2016, 09:19 PM
So he lied about hiding from drug testers because he wanted out of a relationship, but also had a migraine.

OK.

Where Kyle Cheney when you need him?

Remi Moses
24-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Honestly, you couldn't put this in a movie script .

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Honestly, you couldn't put this in a movie script .

Yep, the audience that watch Sharknado 4 won't even sit through or come close to belieng the shit that dribbles out of their mouths. Funnily enough, the AFEL will cover it up. Which is a kin in my metaphor to someone watching Sharknado 4 and trying to Convince their friends it was a real & true documentary.

Rocket Science
24-10-2016, 10:11 PM
"Whitfield's former partner Nowland had contacted the club fearing for Whitfield's welfare. She emailed player welfare official Brett Hand expressing concern about Whitfield's behaviour, possible drug use and hiding from drug testers. As reported last month by Fairfax Media, Allan instructed Hand to delete the email and told Hand that Nowland was erratic and difficult and that he had taken care of the issue."

Good lord, the stench from this is putrid.

By "erratic" and "difficult" and "issue" what they clearly mean is if she can't be ignored or discredited they're all right royally f*cked.

Twodogs
24-10-2016, 11:08 PM
I hope we are bulletproof because the flak is going to fly in all directions and stick to everyone it hits.

It's just dumb with a capital D. Was there even drug tests or testers on the horizon? Or was it a big paranoid drama that Whitfield managed to snare two grown men in?

hujsh
25-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Don't listen to her she's a crazy lady. We just made up a story about him maybe cheating a drug test because it was the only way to get away from her. Honest.

CASE CLOSED

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 12:25 AM
Don't listen to her she's a crazy lady. We just made up a story about him maybe cheating a drug test because it was the only way to get away from her. Honest.

CASE CLOSED

I don't want to say anything just in case I say something but do you reckon she might have been the one on drugs and it's all just been a misunderstanding.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 07:56 AM
I just read Caro's article today and to make matters worse even if you want to believe the whole story was concocted to throw off Whitfields girlfriend his story that he was saying at Craig Lamberts place to avoid potential tests it now loses a lot given the girlfriend was overseas at the time. There was no need to co-ordinate this story between the 3 of them.

This from Caro

It is difficult to imagine why a footballer attempting to handle or finish a turbulent relationship with a so-called unpredictable and erratic partner would tell her that he feared he could test positive to performance-enhancing drugs after taking illicit substances. Further, that even though she was overseas at the time, he would make up the fact via text message that he was moving into Lambert's home to avoid a potential drug test - when instead he had a migraine.

So the 3 stooges argument is that the relationship was going sour and that she was an erratic partner which begs the question of if you really believe that she was erratic why would you present her with a concocted story that would only cause her more angst?

Gubby Allan is an experienced GM of Football and if he signed off on this story Collingwood should be looking for his replacement now.
Why it's taken the AFL so long for this to be reported is highly questionable and you would also have to ask GWS why those concerned only received warnings.

jeemak
25-10-2016, 09:31 AM
The AFEL's corporate partners need to intervene and force the sport to be more transparent and diligent in its governance. Smart businesses are realising that associating their brands with Mickey Mouse Small Town Hick organisations creates an undesirable exposure to them. A threat to withdraw sponsorship dollars will be the only thing that can turn the culture of the AFEL around, because they sure as anything don't care about how they're perceived by reasonable punters.

That this could take a year and a half to come to light is unbelievably embarrassing in itself, but blaming Whitfield's girlfriend's erratic nature to be the only defence for hiding Whitfield at Lambert's house takes the cake - especially given she was overseas at the time. That these dickheads are apparently elite operators within the sport...........

Topdog
25-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Its all just staggering. I really cant put this into words.

Happy Days
25-10-2016, 10:24 AM

CASE CLOSED

Just had to know the "bitches be crazy" story was coming eventually. The AFEL has spent pretty much their entire existence leading their supporter base to accept that it is never, ever the fault of the players if a woman can be implicated.

Women's round though.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Just had to know the "bitches be crazy" story was coming eventually. The AFEL has spent pretty much their entire existence leading their supporter base to accept that it is never, ever the fault of the players if a woman can be implicated.

Women's round though.

It's an interesting angle they are very likely to aggressively pursue but she took it upon herself to contact the club because she had concerns about his welfare. Allan, Lambert and Whitfield have all come up with the same story which is now supposedly an act of deception and one that used a very serious admission that threatens all their careers. Could the stooges not have come up with another fabricated story that didn't put all their careers in jeopardy?

Topdog
25-10-2016, 10:49 AM
It's an interesting angle they are very likely to aggressively pursue but she took it upon herself to contact the club because she had concerns about his welfare. Allan, Lambert and Whitfield have all come up with the same story which is now supposedly an act of deception and one that used a very serious admission that threatens all their careers. Could the stooges not have come up with another fabricated story that didn't put all their careers in jeopardy?

but if the girl was actually overseas at the time doesn't it just shoot the whole story down before it even starts.

It honestly feels like a dog ate my homework style of excuse.

comrade
25-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Good point. We made a story up about hiding from drug testers but we're not making up a story that we made up a story.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 11:13 AM
but if the girl was actually overseas at the time doesn't it just shoot the whole story down before it even starts.

It honestly feels like a dog ate my homework style of excuse.

Two experienced football people plus a young player are running with the 'it was a fabricated story because of her' story. If she wasn't in the country at the time as Caro suggests it just means it was a dumb story by the 3 Stooges.

I don't know if this legal assassin that Allan has hired will attack her credibility but she was worried enough to contact the club about Whitfields welfare which should be enough to say she had some genuine concerns.

I'm a little sick of grown men in a professional environment pointing the blame elsewhere and lying to cover up the truths. The fact that Allan asked for an email to be deleted because he had 'fixed it' should mean there is another trail of how the matter was dealt with. The fact that all stooges have deleted their relevant text messages highlights it was a co-ordinated effort to rid some of the evidence. GWS also placed some sanctions as well meaning they weren't happy with the process Allan oversaw and the AFL sat on the story and only got involved when the journo's raised it.

Another blight on the AFL industry.

Topdog
25-10-2016, 11:16 AM
I don't know if this legal assassin that Allan has hired will attack her credibility

I have absolutely no doubt that he will. In fact the story has been heading down the path of a woman with no credibility from day 1.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 11:21 AM
I have absolutely no doubt that he will. In fact the story has been heading down the path of a woman with no credibility from day 1.

Day 1? Oh you mean once the AFL were made aware by the journos that the issue was indeed important enough to escalate. How long after the incident was that?

Chucking a young lady under the bus because the GM of footy at GWS signed off on a fabricated story. Proud day for all concerned.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Two experienced football people plus a young player are running with the 'it was a fabricated story because of her' story. If she wasn't in the country at the time as Caro suggests it just means it was a dumb story by the 3 Stooges.

I don't know if this legal assassin that Allan has hired will attack her credibility but she was worried enough to contact the club about Whitfields welfare which should be enough to say she had some genuine concerns.

I'm a little sick of grown men in a professional environment pointing the blame elsewhere and lying to cover up the truths. The fact that Allan asked for an email to be deleted because he had 'fixed it' should mean there is another trail of how the matter was dealt with. The fact that all stooges have deleted their relevant text messages highlights it was a co-ordinated effort to rid some of the evidence. GWS also placed some sanctions as well meaning they weren't happy with the process Allan oversaw and the AFL sat on the story and only got involved when the journo's raised it.

Another blight on the AFL industry.

I completely agree. But it's the AFELs own making. When they clear Essendon drug cheats, because paperwork is missing despite the dishonesty. When they clear the brothers because text messages are deleted, despite the dishonesty. Anyone in this industry, like these guys, are simply following the proven path to exoneration from serious allegations & consequences. After the AFELs recent disgraceful manipulation of serious allegations, it's no wonder everyone is going to pull this. And when bugger all happens in this case, the next issue to go the same way.

jeemak
25-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Day 1? Oh you mean once the AFL were made aware by the journos that the issue was indeed important enough to escalate. How long after the incident was that?

Chucking a young lady under the bus because the GM of footy at GWS signed off on a fabricated story. Proud day for all concerned.

How the AFEL employed Dave Matthews can possibly survive this if that's what happened is beyond my comprehension.

Sedat
25-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Grubby Allan certainly doing justice to his nickname.

What a shambles, but as others have pointed out it is no more or less shambolic than Talia-gate or tanking or Essendon doping, etc.. The good news out of this for the Bulldogs is that this issue at the very least will destabilize a fellow contender in 2017, or at worst Whitfield, a very good young footballer, might even miss out on a chunk of next season.

As for the AFEL, they will be wearing their pink ribbons for women's round next year so all will be good :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Topdog
25-10-2016, 01:11 PM
LOL Caros article headline today sums it up nicely.

Lachie Whitfield drugs saga: When in doubt, blame a woman

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 01:15 PM
LOL Caros article headline today sums it up nicely.

Lachie Whitfield drugs saga: When in doubt, blame a woman

It's not an escape clause anymore.

MrMahatma
25-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Hopefully a few of the mum's at GWS get upset with the welfare of their sons and tell them all to move back to Melbourne.

GWS losing another 4 or 5 players next year would be good for the game.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Had Whitfield copped to taking drugs and been prepared to be tested it's very likely it never would have seen the light of day or at worst just a minor sanction imposed.

jeemak
25-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Had Whitfield copped to taking drugs and been prepared to be tested it's very likely it never would have seen the light of day or at worst just a minor sanction imposed.

It's part of the entitlement culture that permeates everything to do with GWS. They've as players - especially the high draft picks of the group - have had sunshine blown up their arses since they've been part of the game. Why would they think they'd need to play to the same rules as everyone else when GWS as a club has not had to be affected by the same rules as everyone else?

It goes back to the way their list was set up and their first drafting and trading periods. Instead of trading in experience for the low draft picks they had at their disposal (which was a cornerstone condition for the existing clubs allowing the concessions in the first place) they stockpiled elite junior talent over multiple years, with the AFL claiming they had no oversight or control over their decision to do so.

Their playing group plays as if it's Hawthorn. Unsociable and arrogant, without having achieved anything other than an arm chair ride into finals contention because of the leg-up they've been given by the competition's governing body.

At what stage could we expect their players and management to be humble enough to take the hard road instead of the easy one?

dukedog
31-10-2016, 08:19 PM
What i dont understand about all these deleted messages BS. Records are kept on data storage for at least 2 years. I dont know whether the afl are allowed access to these copies. But they are stored. Fact.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2016, 08:51 PM
What i dont understand about all these deleted messages BS. Records are kept on data storage for at least 2 years. I dont know whether the afl are allowed access to these copies. But they are stored. Fact.

Nah. Conspiracy theory BS. I watched a US Government counter documentary to the Edward Snowden one, and it clearly said that metadata isn't even a thing and there's never any records of calls, texts or emails. Especially if deleted. I believe a government that Trump could lead and the AFEL thank you very much.

dukedog
31-10-2016, 09:03 PM
"*!I watched a US Government counter documentary*!".....a mates brother got done by the cops. They used 2 years of texts from the servers to convict him. And thats in little old new zealand.

jazzadogs
31-10-2016, 09:43 PM
"*!I watched a US Government counter documentary*!".....a mates brother got done by the cops. They used 2 years of texts from the servers to convict him. And thats in little old new zealand.

Given he ended with "I believe a government that Trump could lead" and no sane person would say such a thing, im confident he BT was joking.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Well there's only two mobile phones over there, so if the police got a hold of one of them then it's pretty easy for them. :D

If you get a chance to watch Citizen 4, the Snowden doco, if you're like me you'll shit yourself about degree to which everything is stored, including this post for mentioning Snowden. With metadata laws and the government money the league gets, the government should be demanding integrity for their money and handing the texts over. In fact, whoever promises this as an election platform gets my vote.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Given he ended with "I believe a government that Trump could lead" and no sane person would say such a thing, im confident he BT was joking.

Joking, crying in fear, either or. Potato/end of the world.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2016, 10:03 PM
I just read Caro's article today and to make matters worse even if you want to believe the whole story was concocted to throw off Whitfields girlfriend his story that he was saying at Craig Lamberts place to avoid potential tests it now loses a lot given the girlfriend was overseas at the time. There was no need to co-ordinate this story between the 3 of them.

This from Caro

It is difficult to imagine why a footballer attempting to handle or finish a turbulent relationship with a so-called unpredictable and erratic partner would tell her that he feared he could test positive to performance-enhancing drugs after taking illicit substances. Further, that even though she was overseas at the time, he would make up the fact via text message that he was moving into Lambert's home to avoid a potential drug test - when instead he had a migraine.

So the 3 stooges argument is that the relationship was going sour and that she was an erratic partner which begs the question of if you really believe that she was erratic why would you present her with a concocted story that would only cause her more angst?

Gubby Allan is an experienced GM of Football and if he signed off on this story Collingwood should be looking for his replacement now.
Why it's taken the AFL so long for this to be reported is highly questionable and you would also have to ask GWS why those concerned only received warnings.

You know what would be the top of my list of things not to do if I had a 'highly erratic' partner, give her the ammunition needed to sink my career because I wanted to end the relationship.

The story simply doesn't stack up when looked at through the eyes of a reasonable/rational person.

There's no way in hell a professional organisation would come up with this kind of ruse and expect to get away with it. The fact they're trying to do so now is laughable.

If this doesn't end with long bans, I'll go hee.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Chucking a young lady under the bus

Ricky Nixon, Dustin Martin ...

Twodogs
31-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Nah. Conspiracy theory BS. I watched a US Government counter documentary to the Edward Snowden one, and it clearly said that metadata isn't even a thing and there's never any records of calls, texts or emails. Especially if deleted. I believe a government that Trump could lead and the AFEL thank you very much.

That's why the government fought so hard to pass that Meta Data Retention act a few years ago. Just so ASIO could find some more stuff for the office Christmas party video. ;)

Twodogs
31-10-2016, 11:05 PM
What a bunch of clowns. Taking drugs and then hiding from the pretend drug tester is a stupid thing for Whitfield to do in the first place. But he's a kid and kids are young and can often do stupid things that just don't make any sense.

When grown ups (like Allen and Lambert are supposed to be) get involved it's their job to stop the fantasy world and face the consequences of the real world. Not help take the fantasy further. Whitfield deserves a kick up the arse and a suspension that doesn't ruin his career but Guby and Craig should be out of footy all together.

GVGjr
31-10-2016, 11:17 PM
What a bunch of clowns. Taking drugs and then hiding from the pretend drug tester is a stupid thing for Whitfield to do in the first place. But he's a kid and kids are young and can often do stupid things that just don't make any sense.

When grown ups (like Allen and Lambert are supposed to be) get involved it's their job to stop the fantasy world and face the consequences of the real world. Not help take the fantasy further. Whitfield deserves a kick up the arse and a suspension that doesn't ruin his career but Guby and Craig should be out of footy all together.

The only thing that offers him some leniency is that being a young player and seeking advice from the welfare department on a difficult relationship he was in is that the advice provided from a senior football man in Allan has ultimately put him in this predicament.
All young players should expect better advice than the story we are asked to believe.

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 12:12 AM
The only thing that offers him some leniency is that being a young player and seeking advice from the welfare department on a difficult relationship he was in is that the advice provided from a senior football man in Allan has ultimately put him in this predicament.
All young players should expect better advice than the story we are asked to believe.

Being asked to believe the story can take some doing when it comes down to it. Who knows what the actual truth is if the story the GWS brains trust concocted for public consumption is anything to go by. God knows what they were really doing.

dukedog
01-11-2016, 08:36 AM

Ha!!!! Was near on 12am last night when i posted. Sorry BT ... didn't pick up on it. ....the actual story doesn't even make sense. These are supposedly smart men. I would be leaning towards the story was made up by none other than Damien Barrett.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Ha!!!! Was near on 12am last night when i posted. Sorry BT ... didn't pick up on it. ....the actual story doesn't even make sense. These are supposedly smart men. I would be leaning towards the story was made up by none other than Damien Barrett.

Cool. Yep, sometimes it's better to say nothing publicly then push a version of a story that everyone knows is false. It may force ASADA and the AFELs hand. Whatever Whitfield gets should be matched for Grubby & Craig.

Bulldog4life
01-11-2016, 09:51 AM
You know what would be the top of my list of things not to do if I had a 'highly erratic' partner, give her the ammunition needed to sink my career because I wanted to end the relationship.

The story simply doesn't stack up when looked at through the eyes of a reasonable/rational person.

There's no way in hell a professional organisation would come up with this kind of ruse and expect to get away with it. The fact they're trying to do so now is laughable.

If this doesn't end with long bans, I'll go hee.

I haven't played that for ages. Should be fun.

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 10:48 AM
I haven't played that for ages. Should be fun.

I can remember BOTH my grandmothers saying "I'll go hee" when I was a kid on the same day but not getting caught out the second time because after the first time dad explained to me that Nanna didn't actually mean she was going to play chasey when she said that and I had to come back inside again.

It's funny the things you remember. I wonder if I'm going senile?

Bulldog4life
01-11-2016, 11:28 AM
I can remember BOTH my grandmothers saying "I'll go hee" when I was a kid on the same day but not getting caught out the second time because after the first time dad explained to me that Nanna didn't actually mean she was going to play chasey when she said that and I had to come back inside again.

It's funny the things you remember. I wonder if I'm going senile?

Yes it can mean both TD. I am sure a number of footy followers would have said "If the dogs win the premiership I'll go hee":)

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Yes it can mean both TD. I am sure a number of footy followers would have said "If the dogs win the premiership I'll go hee":)

There was mayhem outside the ground after the presentation and before the after party started, some of them could have been playing chasey.

hujsh
01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
What the hell does going hee mean?

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 02:17 PM
What the hell does going hee mean?

It's the person who chases everyone in a game of chasey. It's like going "It"

1eyedog
01-11-2016, 02:21 PM
It's the person who chases everyone in a game of chasey. It's like going "It"

Just spelt he

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 02:26 PM
With two E's I think. Hee.

I really wish that they'd run this bloody race.

Topdog
02-11-2016, 11:33 AM
So when is something expected in this case?

jeemak
02-11-2016, 12:05 PM

I honestly thought they'd put something half arsed out there yesterday to get things smothered by the Cup to some extent.

KT31
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Most likely during he draft so it gets buried in the paper.

Twodogs
02-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Most likely during he draft so it gets buried in the paper.

Christmas Eve maybe?

GVGjr
02-11-2016, 06:32 PM

I'd be surprised if the announcement is not soon because they won't want anything to distract from the draft. There are 3 careers on the line here and the AFL will want to give the clubs concerned time challenge the findings if that is the process.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's within a week.

Topdog
02-11-2016, 09:13 PM
I'd be surprised if the announcement is not soon because they won't want anything to distract from the draft. There are 3 careers on the line here and the AFL will want to give the clubs concerned time challenge the findings if that is the process.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's within a week.

Gil said that the Jobe decision was on Nov 14 IIRC. Not sure they would want 2 bad news items in 2 weeks.

bornadog
03-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Gil said that the Jobe decision was on Nov 14 IIRC. Not sure they would want 2 bad news items in 2 weeks.

Another bloody joke. The AFL wishing it just goes away, instead of making the tough decisions.

Bulldog Joe
03-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Another bloody joke. The AFL wishing it just goes away, instead of making the tough decisions.

It is not actually a tough decision. Jobe MUST have the brownlow taken off him.

Unfortunately it is an unpleasant thing for Gil to do. Just bloody make the call and move on.

Topdog
03-11-2016, 09:25 AM
It is not actually a tough decision. Jobe MUST have the brownlow taken off him.

Unfortunately it is an unpleasant thing for Gil to do. Just bloody make the call and move on.

To be fair to Gil that is the way he has been wording it. It's a tough decision that no one wants to make and at our next meeting on Nov 14 Jobe will come and plead his case and a decision will be made.

Jobe shouldnt get to plead anything but other than that it seems fair.

S Coast Simon
03-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I really like Jobe but the reality is he won it during the years he was just suspended for. He won it whilst a banned substance was in his system. Pretty cut a dried sadly. He has to have it taken away

dukedog
08-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Wow. Afl is holding the investigation up.... this wreaks of coverup. I feel bad for whitfield. He should have had the right support.

Twodogs
08-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Wow. Afl is holding the investigation up.... this wreaks of coverup. I feel bad for whitfield. He should have had the right support.

Indeed. What he got instead were a couple of enablers.

Topdog
08-11-2016, 06:15 PM

I havent heard anything. Do you mean in general terms or was there a story that they are holding it up?

hujsh
08-11-2016, 06:59 PM
I havent heard anything. Do you mean in general terms or was there a story that they are holding it up?

ASADA is waiting for the official AFL report.

It apparently takes much more than a year to sufficently cover it up.

Rocket Science
09-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Seven Clubs Fined For Antidoping Code Breach (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-09/seven-clubs-fined-for-antidoping-code-breach)

Released by the AFEL at precisely 3:45pm EST today in order it receives the coverage and scrutiny they'd like it to receive ...

One of those breaches are ours for what it's worth.

GVGjr
09-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Seven Clubs Fined For Antidoping Code Breach (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-09/seven-clubs-fined-for-antidoping-code-breach)

Released by the AFEL at precisely 3:45pm EST today in order it receives the coverage and scrutiny they'd like it to receive ...

One of those breaches are ours for what it's worth.

Not good news. I hope the club gets on the front foot and explains why there has been a breach.

Twodogs
09-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Yeah it's not a good look. We must be speaking to potential sponsors at the moment too so it wouldn't be ideal on several fronts.

comrade
09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
No one has tested positively. The AFL has confirmed none of the teams were actively hiding information ala GWS.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2016, 09:43 PM
No one has tested positively. The AFL has confirmed none of the teams were actively hiding information ala GWS.

Yep. An honest single minor administrative error in an entire year reported to ASADA & AFEL for a minor mandatory fine. Meh.

1eyedog
13-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Looks like Whitfield negotiating a 6 month ban from the club which will allow him to play round 9 onwards next year. Allan and Lambert negotiating a one year ban.

This on the proviso that the case is not escalated to an anti-doping ban by ASADA / WADA, of which ASADA have agreed.

Famous last words re. ASADA? We know WADA don't play by the ASADA rules and WADA ban for anti-doping is obviously 4 years... Walking a fine line since when does the accused get to call the shots?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/gws-face-loss-of-draft-picks-over-lachie-whitfield-affair-20161111-gsn45r.html

comrade
13-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Draft picks need to be taken away because I hate GWS.

Greystache
13-11-2016, 05:27 PM
It's a pretty soft sentence but I can kind of see why ASADA would do the deal. If they try to prosecute it fully the AFEL will make the investigation difficult, then they'll select a tribunal panel that will clear Whitfield, then WADA will have to take the case to a proper court where there'll be an actual hearing. That will take 12-24 months and cost millions. ASADA won't want to wear the costs or have another drawn out public battle, and the AFEL know this.

6 months and 9 games is very light, but then again if the AFEL were in charge of the anti-doping program Whitfield wouldn't even get 6 days.

GVGjr
13-11-2016, 05:33 PM

I think that is in the mix of outcomes. Even one 1st round selection being taken off them is a big penalty.

Twodogs
13-11-2016, 05:41 PM

This.

1eyedog
13-11-2016, 07:43 PM

15 will be the earliest they lose.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Hopefully they'll lose pick 15. Surely there needs to be some public deterant, but I'm not going to put a brass razo on it though.

macca
14-11-2016, 12:37 AM
if they lose 15 does that mean our pick 18 moves up one ?

GVGjr
14-11-2016, 12:46 AM
if they lose 15 does that mean our pick 18 moves up one ?

Yes,

LostDoggy
14-11-2016, 07:16 AM
15 will be the earliest they lose.

Why wouldn't they lose pick 2 and 15?

1eyedog
14-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Why wouldn't they lose pick 2 and 15?

I have no idea why pick 2 wasn't mentioned.

Topdog
14-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I have no idea why pick 2 wasn't mentioned.

Cant punish them too much, its GWS after all

Would be an extremely light sentence if that is what gets handed down for both club and player.

Actually and both admin staff too.

1eyedog
14-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Cant punish them too much, its GWS after all

Would be an extremely light sentence if that is what gets handed down for both club and player.

Actually and both admin staff too.

I can see WADA coming over the top. If the Essendon fiasco is anything to go by ASADA and WADA seem to be reading from different pages.

Twodogs
14-11-2016, 11:47 AM
I can see WADA coming over the top. If the Essendon fiasco is anything to go by ASADA and WADA seem to be reading from different pages.

WADA have a lot of problems in their lap all of a sudden. Countries are starting to ask what happens to the money they pour into it and why there are still so many drug cheats around. WADA were supposed to fix the problem or at least make a dent on it.

WADA are taking us all for fools.

Topdog
14-11-2016, 11:59 AM
WADA have a lot of problems in their lap all of a sudden. Countries are starting to ask what happens to the money they pour into it and why there are still so many drug cheats around. WADA were supposed to fix the problem or at least make a dent on it.

Link for that?

Greystache
14-11-2016, 12:27 PM

I don't think that's the case, I'd say WADA and it's local affiliates are all very much on the same page. There's only so many cases WADA can escalate to an independent environment. Resourcing and funding just doesn't allow it to prosecute every case its local affiliates would like, so it has to prioritize the cases that hold the most value from a ROI perspective. 34 players from one club in a systemic doping program yes, 1 player avoiding tests because he suspects he's taken something illegal no. It's just the economics of things.

When local sporting competitions have a clear cut strategy of brand protection at all costs, and have little regard for the perception of integrity, a local body such as ASADA is always going to be up against it. They have to either catch the player red handed with a positive test so the league can't cover it up, or uncover something large enough to warrant WADA taking it to a proper hearing, otherwise organisation like the AFEL will go to extremes to clear their player or at the minimum negotiate heavily reduced sentences like we see in this case.

It's far from ideal, but it's infinitely better than the local sporting competitions controlling it themselves, which would see large scale doping being the norm with the organisation itself helping to keep it all under the rug to protect its brand.

Twodogs
14-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Link for that?

http://www.dw.com/en/these-anti-doping-efforts-are-not-to-be-taken-seriously/a-36187028

Topdog
14-11-2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.dw.com/en/these-anti-doping-efforts-are-not-to-be-taken-seriously/a-36187028

Yeah thats IOC, an organisation that has been thought to be corrupt for a long time now. WADA blasted their program

Greystache
14-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Yeah thats IOC, an organisation that has been thought to be corrupt for a long time now. WADA blasted their program

Imagine the testing standards of a competition like the NFL where there's no independent body overseeing it. A player's urine sample could be fluorescent green and the tester would drop it in the sink and go oops but don't worry it looked clean to me. Fortunately for the league no one outside their control will ever be involved in the process. Athletes just need to avoid getting caught out by a paper trail that makes its way to the public like the shambles that was BALCO.

dukedog
14-11-2016, 06:08 PM
It's a pretty soft sentence but I can kind of see why ASADA would do the deal. If they try to prosecute it fully the AFEL will make the investigation difficult, then they'll select a tribunal panel that will clear Whitfield, then WADA will have to take the case to a proper court where there'll be an actual hearing. That will take 12-24 months and cost millions. ASADA won't want to wear the costs or have another drawn out public battle, and the AFEL know this.

6 months and 9 games is very light, but then again if the AFEL were in charge of the anti-doping program Whitfield wouldn't even get 6 days.

Hit the nail on the head mate. Very very soft. Just glad the kid isnt copping it all. Those two should be ashamed of themselves.

GVGjr
14-11-2016, 06:22 PM
There is some speculation that Allan is brokering a 12 month ban for himself and I gather Lambert would have to be regarded as the same. I don't like these brokered deals but 12 months is a reasonable ban.

Not comfortable with the speculation that Whitfield could be back by round 9.

As for GWS, they have to lose at least 1 pick hopefully 2 at the National Draft

Twodogs
14-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Everyone cops a whack, I can live with it. Whether it is a big enough whack is a different matter.

westdog54
14-11-2016, 09:05 PM
As much as I hate the 'negotiated outcome', I don't want to see another long, drawn-out shitfight between the AFL and ASADA.

Glad Lambert and Allen have copped longer bans than Whitfield.

Looks like Gubby may be cut loose by Collingwood as a result: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/whitfield-affair-collingwood-set-to-cut-ties-with-banned-graeme-allan-20161114-gsp57o.html

While I'd love to see draft penalties, I don't think Pick 2 should be factored into that equation. They gave up something of value to acquire a pick that early, I can see the argument for it being left alone.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 10:01 AM
8 rounds of footy next season is an insufficient ban imo. Who knows what the hell they were up to, nothing good that's for sure. I'm pretty sure a large number of Essendon players didn't actually know what the hell they were getting themselves into, but Whitfield did, and he deliberately avoided the drug testers because of it. He knowingly had something inside his body that was banned, and they all knew it.

Asides from resourcing, funding et al. WADA do not dance to the same tune as the AFL / ASADA and I hope they go all Connor McGregor over the top of the both of them.

In the words of Ellen Ripley to Carter J Burke 'I hope they nail them right to the wall'.

bornadog
15-11-2016, 03:03 PM
8 rounds of footy next season is an insufficient ban imo.

Isn't it a 6 month ban that starts from now?

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Yep but how does between now and round 1 really matter? Should be out for the year.

bornadog
15-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Yep but how does between now and round 1 really matter? Should be out for the year.

The negotiation process is ridiculous. Either he gets the full ban or not, none of this BS of 6 months which doesn't really effect his playing - like you said just 8 matches. Should have got at least a year so he doesn't play till 2018.

choconmientay
15-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Confirmed:
Lachie Whitfield will receive a six-month suspension and Graeme Allan and Craig Lambert will be banned for the entire 2017 season.
No word on draft pick penalties.

I wonder if the afl is testing the water and want to see how the fans receiving the news and adjust the draft pick penalties accordingly if any.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 06:24 PM
The negotiation process is ridiculous. Either he gets the full ban or not, none of this BS of 6 months which doesn't really effect his playing - like you said just 8 matches. Should have got at least a year so he doesn't play till 2018.

Agreed. So in order to avoid a 2 year / 4 year ban you just guzzle banned substances and then play hide and seek for a while and if you're caught hiding then cop your 6 months, which you negotiate. Absolute joke.

Remi Moses
15-11-2016, 06:27 PM
So how on earth does Dave Matthews think they shouldn't cop a draft sanction?
Those two were on your books Dave :rolleyes:

GVGjr
15-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Is Whitfield banned from the club during that period or can he train with them?

There has to be a decision on the draft picks soon.

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 07:31 PM

Before Friday would be good.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 07:37 PM

Banned from the club for the next 4 months so coveniently gets back to training in round 1.

Topdog
15-11-2016, 08:54 PM
So to get this straight.

Investigation took ~ 18 months.
Whitfield played an entire season while under investigation.
Whitfield played finals and had the opportunity to shape a prelim final.
6 weeks after finals series and ~18 months of investigation he gets a 6 month ban (max available was 4 years)
6 month ban only suspends him from the club for 4 months (happens to be round 1)
officials involved get 12 month bans.

Yeah that sounds like an AFEL investigation if ever I've seen one.

G-Mo77
15-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned from the club for the next 4 months so coveniently gets back to training in round 1.

Isn't that a terrific outcome for him and the club. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 08:57 PM
So to get this straight.

6 weeks after finals series and ~18 months of investigation he gets a 6 month ban (max available was 4 years)
6 month ban only suspends him from the club for 4 months (happens to be round 1)

No. That's outrageous even by AFEL standards when you set it out like that.

GVGjr
15-11-2016, 09:37 PM

Seems very lenient to me. I wouldn't have allowed him back until a couple of weeks before the ban ends.

GVGjr
15-11-2016, 09:39 PM
So to get this straight.

He won't have learned too much from this experience.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Seems very lenient to me. I wouldn't have allowed him back until a couple of weeks before the ban ends.

Any chance of WADA stepping in? Perhaps it was sorted that they wouldn't prior to the announcement.

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 10:08 PM
He won't have learned too much from this experience.

He will have learned plenty. He's learned that he can flout the drug code and get away with it virtually Scott free for a start.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 10:12 PM
He will have learned plenty. He's learned that he can flout the drug code and get away with it virtually Scott free for a start.

Well the positive for us is that a team of first round picks potentially all juiced up on gear couldn't get the job done :p

Greystache
16-11-2016, 12:31 PM
So to get this straight.

You left out;

It wouldn't have made it to the public if a 3rd party didn't escalate it to ASADA.

Greystache
16-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Any chance of WADA stepping in? Perhaps it was sorted that they wouldn't prior to the announcement.

You can be pretty confident WADA would've been approached by ASADA to see if they'd step in, and that the answer was no. Hence the highly favourable deal the AFEL was able to strike with ASADA.

Bulldog Revolution
16-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Incredibly soft penalty for Whitfield - anything less than a full season ban is too lenient

1eyedog
16-11-2016, 01:42 PM
You can be pretty confident WADA would've been approached by ASADA to see if they'd step in, and that the answer was no. Hence the highly favourable deal the AFEL was able to strike with ASADA.

That was my initial thought too.

Greystache
16-11-2016, 02:03 PM
That was my initial thought too.

The AFEL have ASADA over a barrel and both parties know it. It's a broken system when an organisation such as the AFEL, with its track record of highly questionable outcomes from investigations it conducts, chooses a panel to find guilt or innocence of it's own employees. A decision that stands as final unless the world anti-doping body chooses to escalate it to a neutral environment which is a long and incredibly expensive process.

More often than not a home grown kangaroo court decision would be final, so ASADA is forced to take what they can get. Organisations like the AFL should have no involvement in the decision making process, but due to costs isn't likely to change.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Saad looks really hard done by now. He should've requested a trade to a club the AFEL goes out of its way to protect.

Greystache
16-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Saad looks really hard done by now. He should've requested a trade to a club the AFEL goes out of its way to protect.

Nah he tested positive to an ASADA test. Can't lose your mobile phone and have the investigation closed in that situation. Anything other than a positive test however...

Topdog
16-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Nah he tested positive to an ASADA test. Can't lose your mobile phone and have the investigation closed in that situation. Anything other than a positive test however...

I keep mixing people up but I thought he just imported something in?

bornadog
16-11-2016, 05:30 PM

That was a different bloke:

AN AFL aspirant has been banned from all sport for 18 months for importing performance-enhancing drugs.
VFL star Wade Lees yesterday said he would not abandon his AFL dream despite being slugged with the ban by AFL Victoria.
Lees, 24, read his sanction in an email at Casey Scorpions training on Wednesday night - more than two years after he bought the fat-burning product online from the US.

Lees was then charged with "attempted use of a prohibited substance violation" and banned by AFL Victoria after Round 7 this season.

He hadn't even used the stuff

boydogs
16-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Saad's ban was for a positive test due to an unmarked ingredient in a protein supplement

Twodogs
16-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Wasn't it a supplement a friend made? He'd actually been warned not to take it but he did so he was doubly stupid is how I remember it. I tend to fantasise about things sometimes though.

jeemak
16-11-2016, 10:33 PM
The AFEL have ASADA over a barrel and both parties know it. It's a broken system when an organisation such as the AFEL, with its track record of highly questionable outcomes from investigations it conducts, chooses a panel to find guilt or innocence of it's own employees. A decision that stands as final unless the world anti-doping body chooses to escalate it to a neutral environment which is a long and incredibly expensive process.

More often than not a home grown kangaroo court decision would be final, so ASADA is forced to take what they can get. Organisations like the AFL should have no involvement in the decision making process, but due to costs isn't likely to change.

I wonder what the WADA and ASADA signatory compliance fees are. Probably low enough to not be a deterrent I suppose.

boydogs
16-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Wasn't it a supplement a friend made? He'd actually been warned not to take it but he did so he was doubly stupid is how I remember it. I tend to fantasise about things sometimes though.

Just checked, the ingredient was on there but he didn't check if it was banned. Sorry for the misinformation

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ahmed-saad-devastated-over-drug-ban-but-vows-to-return-20131203-2yo7s.html

bulldogtragic
16-11-2016, 10:59 PM

It was in the shake product of one of his personal sponsors. Claims he didn't read the fine print from memory.

Twodogs
16-11-2016, 11:45 PM
It was in the shake product of one of his personal sponsors. Claims he didn't read the fine print from memory.

I remember now. At first the story was is he had been warned by the club or someone at the club that the drink contained a problematic ingredient when the club knew he was using it, warned him that it had an ingredient on the banned list but Saade said that this mentor or friend more or less overruled the club and said he should keep using it. Then the story changed 36 hours or so later.

Greystache
17-11-2016, 10:54 AM
I remember now. At first the story was is he had been warned by the club or someone at the club that the drink contained a problematic ingredient when the club knew he was using it, warned him that it had an ingredient on the banned list but Saade said that this mentor or friend more or less overruled the club and said he should keep using it. Then the story changed 36 hours or so later.

From memory it had an ingredient that was banned on match day but not during recovery. It was basically a stimulant ingredient. He was told he could drink it but not on match day, he kept doing it anyway, then got tested after a game and turned in a positive result.

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 11:06 AM
From memory it had an ingredient that was banned on match day but not during recovery. It was basically a stimulant ingredient. He was told he could drink it but not on match day, he kept doing it anyway, then got tested after a game and turned in a positive result.

That's it! I thought I'd read somewhere that he had been warned about this particular ingredient and told that the "energy drink" he was using was one of the substances that was illegal on match day but went ahead and did it anyway.

Doubly stupid. Maybe triplely?

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 11:06 AM

That's it! I thought I'd read somewhere that he had been warned about this particular ingredient and told that the "energy drink" he was using was one of the substances that was illegal on match day but went ahead and did it anyway.

boydogs
17-11-2016, 02:32 PM

Quadruply, maybe hexatruply :D

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

bornadog
22-11-2016, 02:37 AM
ASADA confirms it will not pursue further action in Whitfield affair.

Full story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-confirms-it-will-not-pursue-further-action-in-whitfield-affair-20161121-gsu9rx.html)

1eyedog
22-11-2016, 05:52 AM
ASADA confirms it will not pursue further action in Whitfield affair.

Full story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-confirms-it-will-not-pursue-further-action-in-whitfield-affair-20161121-gsu9rx.html)

Snippet from the article;

"I note the investigation revealed no use or intended use of performance-enhancing drugs. Given the circumstances, I do not believe pursuit of additional action under the AFL anti-doping rules is warranted."

Well you can't find that out if you can't catch him I suppose.

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Snippet from the article;

Well you can't find that out if you can't catch him I suppose.

Sets a nice precedent. I wonder how many players will be on an alleged bender when they should be available for testing.

NOTE to ALL Players

If you find that you have ingested any substance that may be on a banned list, inadvertently or other wise, please find alternative accommodation until it has cleared your body. It will also be of assistance if you do not officially inform your club as this will also avoid the possibility of others being found complicit.

comrade
22-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Sets a nice precedent. I wonder how many players will be on an alleged bender when they should be available for testing.

NOTE to ALL Players

If you find that you have ingested any substance that may be on a banned list, inadvertently or other wise, please find alternative accommodation until it has cleared your body. It will also be of assistance if you do not officially inform your club as this will also avoid the possibility of others being found complicit.

Take a cycle of PEDs and hide for a few weeks, then blame it on some weird mix of girlfriend troubles and party drugs.

Even better, do it prior to a finals series, help your team win a flag and at worst you'll get a 6 month ban...18 months later.

Twodogs
22-11-2016, 09:41 AM

NOTE to ALL Players

But only if you play for GWS. Don't expect that sort of consideration if you are silly enough not to play for one of the AFL's golden children.

GVGjr
22-11-2016, 07:01 PM
It doesn't sound like they will lose the picks.

LostDoggy
22-11-2016, 08:09 PM
It doesn't sound like they will lose the picks.

What an absolute disgrace!!!!:mad:

hujsh
23-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Official they won't lose any this year.

It was decided that it wouldn't be fair since there's no time for them to argue their case against the decision.

Who was it that dragged the whole thing out this long again? I wouldn't be the people who don't want to penalize them in the first place would it?

They can still lose picks in 2017 (when they will have no first round pick)

bornadog
24-11-2016, 02:15 AM
They can still lose picks in 2017 (when they will have no first round pick)

and it will be all but forgotten and therefore not happen.

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Are we stupid or do hey just think we are that stupid or does it not really matter because they got away with it?

choconmientay
24-11-2016, 05:54 PM
GWS intend to fight the charges ...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gws-giants-to-contest-charge-handed-down-by-afl-over-lachie-whitfield-affair/news-story/4e2d653ed2d013036b4ff8fe3d36adac?from=public_rss

League chief executive Gillon McLachlan earlier in the day said there had been “amicable discussions” between the Giants and the AFL.

The AFL tried to do deal under the table but GWS with arrogance ignore the request to deal with them.

The club regards any potential sanction stemming from this charge as unwarranted and inappropriate given the admissions by the former staff members that they acted outside their authority.

“As a result, the Giants intend to contest this charge at a hearing with the AFL Commission on December 13.

If my kids are breaking the law and I am refusing vehemently to have any responsibility for them I would be publicly shamed and charged �� but since this is the love child of the AFL, they can get away with everything and anything.

Greystache
24-11-2016, 06:19 PM
What's the chances the end result after a "lengthy and at times hostile hearing" is a substantial fine is issued against GWS, say in the order of $2mil. Then in unrelated news the AFL increase their funding to GWS by $2mil.

And the AFL announces this penalty shows how tough they on teams flirting with the rules around performance enhancing drugs.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2016, 07:21 PM
What's the chances the end result after a "lengthy and at times hostile hearing" is a substantial fine is issued against GWS, say in the order of $2mil. Then in unrelated news the AFL increase their funding to GWS by $2mil.

And the AFL announces this penalty shows how tough they on teams flirting with the rules around performance enhancing drugs.

If you ever want to waste years of your life, I think you can do a Ph.D. on AFEL (mis) management & (dis) honesty.

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 04:14 PM
I quite like what Grant Thomas has to say about Gil ...

“Don’t hide behind deals and the stuff you do with your former AFL staffer Dave Matthews at GWS. It’s just pathetic.

“They treat us like imbeciles. Tell the truth, it doesn’t hurt. If you’ve made a slight error in judgment, people forgive very quickly. We don’t care. But don’t pee down our back and tell us it’s raining. It drives me insane, why do we put up with that?”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/grant-thomas-has-accused-afl-chief-executive-gillon-mclachlan-of-treating-public-like-imbeciles/news-story/ed8cec94c33aecbe916e1743e1bd78d9?from=public_rss

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 08:50 PM
4 picks inside 20 & Brett Deledio. The AFEL must be thrilled it did nothing.

G-Mo77
25-11-2016, 08:53 PM

Yeah worked out well for GWS. Glad they weren't disadvantaged. :D

LostDoggy
25-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Yeah worked out well for GWS. Glad they weren't disadvantaged. :D

Can't have them disadvantaged as they're doing great things for the AFEL in the ever burgeoning Western Sydney Suburbs AFL support base.

Greystache
25-11-2016, 09:44 PM

And 3 of them have already had their cars stolen.

Welcome to the Great Waste landS

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 10:11 PM
And 3 of them have already had their cars stolen.

Welcome to the Great Waste landS

Great Waste State?

jeemak
25-11-2016, 10:39 PM
It's extremely important that our club and one or two others have really strong periods over the coming two or three years keeping GWS from winning a premiership. The AFL won't be able to keep throwing them a bone, once they're on the way down we alongside other clubs will be able to take their players after the inevitable exodus.

The posturing of Matthews and head office over taking away draft picks from GWS is laughable. Head office has no intention of punishing GWS to any serious extent and softening their position as a competitive 'club'. The commercial conflict is clear for everyone to see, but these backwater hacks actually think those who are mildly educated can't see that, or understand any serious action is detrimental to the AFL brand.

If the AFL actually had to show the level of governance and transparency corporations of similar public interests had to, they'd be broke. The risk profile on integrity would be too much for the market to stomach and the arse end would fall out of the organisation as quickly as you could say....."here's tonight's weather forecast.......well, almost".

Remi Moses
25-11-2016, 10:39 PM
It just stinks like a dead cat on the side of the road .
It's just atrocious

Twodogs
25-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Can't have them disadvantaged as they're doing great things for the AFEL in the ever burgeoning Western Sydney Suburbs AFL support base.

Come in its easy to be negative. They packed out their home ground for that final.

Great Waste State?

Great Waste of Space. And time, and money. Draft picks.

Sympathy. A waste of the blatant favouratsm shown to them by the AFL in awarding them a final at their home ground.

It's extremely important that our club and one or two others have really strong periods over the coming two or three years keeping GWS from winning a premiership. The AFL won't be able to keep throwing them a bone, once they're on the way down we alongside other clubs will be able to take their players after the inevitable exodus.

The posturing of Matthews and head office over taking away draft picks from GWS is laughable. Head office has no intention of punishing GWS to any serious extent and softening their position as a competitive 'club'. The commercial conflict is clear for everyone to see, but these backwater hacks actually think those who are mildly educated can't see that, or understand any serious action is detrimental to the AFL brand.

If the AFL actually had to show the level of governance and transparency corporations of similar public interests had to, they'd be broke. The risk profile on integrity would be too much for the market to stomach and the arse end would fall out of the organisation as quickly as you could say....."here's tonight's weather forecast.......well, almost".

the AFeL might make me actually hope another Victorian team wins. That's a fair acheivment.

I guess GWS is a handy place to warehouse players until they can get to a proper club.

KT31
26-11-2016, 08:08 AM
It just stinks like a dead cat on the side of the road .
It's just atrocious

Agree with the sentiment, but curious Remi do dead cats smell worse on the side of the road than dead cats elsewhere ?:)

Happy Days
28-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Remember the last time a team got 4 picks inside 20 and Deledio?

Hope it goes just as well this time.

1eyedog
28-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Agree with the sentiment, but curious Remi do dead cats smell worse on the side of the road than dead cats elsewhere ?:)

Sure I'd love another premiership, but I'm done with this caper. Renewed my membership with social club this year but won't be going to a game. I've got my premiership before I die so I'm happy to keep supporting the club but the AFEL can get stuffed.

Axe Man
22-12-2016, 05:10 PM
GWS Giants fined $100,000, docked 1000 draft points over role in Lachie Whitfield affair (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/gws-giants-fined-100000-docked-1000-draft-points-over-role-in-lachie-whitfield-affair/news-story/5242d23c9e2524722568ad086882cd2f)

THE GWS Giants have been fined $100,000 and stripped of draft points after being found guilty by the AFL over the club’s role in the Lachie Whitfield affair.

The Giants have not lost specific picks in the draft but instead docked 1000 draft points — the equivalent of about pick 17.

That result is much better for the Giants than the possible loss of picks 15 and 37 that was mooted before this year’s draft.

AFL lawyer Jeff Gleeson presented the league’s case today to an AFL sub-committee headed by commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick. The sub-committee was convinced a penalty should be imposed.

The Giants expressed bemusement that the saga had dragged on for more than 530 days. Whitfield was hidden at the home of GWS welfare manager Craig Lambert in May 2015.

While the AFL expressed sympathy for the Giants’ position it felt it was left no option but to punish the club.

The Giants were charged last month with conduct unbecoming and the league ruled on the case today, deciding the club was partly responsible for staff members Lambert and Graeme Allan’s bad advice to the former No.1 draft pick.

The pair arranged for Whitfield to stay at Lambert’s house last year to avoid a possible illicit drug test. Allan and Lambert were each banned in November for 12 months and Allan subsequently quit his new job at Collingwood. Whitfield was banned for six months.

The AFL released its verdict this afternoon, finding the club “responsible for the actions of senior employees”.

It also applauded the Giants for their “prompt action” once it became aware of the complaint and noted that the sub-committee found the Giants board, chief executive and chief operating officer “had no knowledge of the offending conduct and the club’s governance in relation to this matter could not be criticised”.

GVGjr
22-12-2016, 05:42 PM
I don't get it, they have been applauded by the AFL for the way they handled it and the AFL believe Lambert and Allan went rogue.
So why exactly have the club lost points now rather than before the 2016 draft?

It's smells like another brokered deal and that the real information is being kept in house.

Axe Man
22-12-2016, 05:51 PM
I don't get it, they have been applauded by the AFL for the way they handled it and the AFL believe Lambert and Allan went rogue.
So why exactly have the club lost points now rather than before the 2016 draft?

It's smells like another brokered deal and that the real information is being kept in house.

The AFL had to be seen to be doing something so they fined themselves $100,000 and gave GWS a draft penalty that won't hurt them in the slightest after they trade out more players excess to requirements for high draft picks again next year.

jazzadogs
22-12-2016, 05:52 PM
"AFEL fines itself $100,000" - edited for accuracy

bulldogtragic
22-12-2016, 06:31 PM
They're sitting out the first round next year. That's fine by me.

Axe Man
22-12-2016, 06:38 PM
They're sitting out the first round next year. That's fine by me.

Very unlikely, they will trade their way back in.

bulldogtragic
22-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Very unlikely, they will trade their way back in.

They can trade with us, because we are great people. Cameron & Kelly for pick 18.

Twodogs
22-12-2016, 06:51 PM
They can trade with us, because we are great people. Cameron & Kelly for pick 18.

So long as we get some salary covered, it'll cost a motza to pay those two.

And they release a press release saying what nice blokes we are.

hujsh
22-12-2016, 08:53 PM
https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKcAAAAJDAwZGZkZjM2LTRlMDktNDNmMi1hNmE0LWY4ZWMz MWRlMmNiNw.jpg

Now don't do it again.

jeemak
23-12-2016, 12:31 AM
In other news, the Ministry of Plenty has extended food rations to the fourth and fifth quadrant, whilst the Ministry of Peace suggests that with three more solid efforts from our fine soldiers Eurasia is close to breaking.

hujsh
23-12-2016, 03:10 AM
In other news, the Ministry of Plenty has extended food rations to the fourth and fifth quadrant, whilst the Ministry of Peace suggests that with three more solid efforts from our fine soldiers Eurasia is close to breaking.

We're at war with Eastasia. We've always been at war with Eastasia