PDA

View Full Version : Game Day AFL Finals Week 2 Semi Final - Hawthorn V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

The bulldog tragician
07-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Rumour has it that in the half time brawl some of our mouthiest players told the Three-Peaters they were "finished." Then proceeded to demonstrate that it was true. One of the joys of that game was seeing the Hawks look suddenly out of ideas. They couldn't even get 'unsociable' because we now have players everywhere who just won't cop that crap any more and have the size, bodies, confidence and attitude not to be one bit intimidated.

I'm not so sure the Breust miss was vital though I'm glad we didn't have to find out. We absolutely blitzed them when we got going. The thing this group taught us time and time again is they could never ever be written off. I think we would have come at them again even if Breust had nailed it.

I agree that watching each of these finals again puts forward something rich to appreciate. There's always a new detail to savour. Again. and again...

Go_Dogs
08-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Dominated the first 5 minutes and Dicko missed two sitters before Hawks put the foot down, we were 86% in the forward half early, we will rue these wasted opportunities. Woody Got a goal back a Maclean had one disallowed. Not looking good. I've taken the dog down the beach before q2 starts..

That Wood goal was huge.

That goal they missed in the second when they could've gone up by 29 was a huge moment, but like TBT said, it mightn't have mattered.

jazzadogs
10-01-2017, 12:59 AM
When Breust took that mark in front, I was ready to stick a fork in us.

I was in Galway for that one, and after that mark my family we so convinced we were done that they all silently got up and left the house. Then the magic happened.

They couldn't believe the change in atmosphere when they got back!

Sedat
10-01-2017, 07:55 AM
I wasn't happy or that optimistic, but just before the piece of play to get him that shot I had commented that we were still right in it - the Hawks just seemed to be labouring and they reacted to their own good pieces of play with something like relief rather than joy. We were fluffling chances, but it still felt to me that we were only a goal away from seriously threatening them.

Very glad of course, to have been correct in this instance. Smith's set shot was super important, we couldn't do any wrong for a period of time after that.
Was eerily similar to the Round 3 game - they were 5 goals up in the first half, we hung in during the 2nd qtr and we then blitzed them in the 3rd. Only difference was that they came back hard in the last qtr of Round 3 because they still had the mystique about them and other clubs gave them too much respect, whereas we toyed with them in the SF because that mystique was finished.

bornadog
10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Was eerily similar to the Round 3 game - they were 5 goals up in the first half, we hung in during the 2nd qtr and we then blitzed them in the 3rd. Only difference was that they came back hard in the last qtr of Round 3 because they still had the mystique about them and other clubs gave them too much respect, whereas we toyed with them in the SF because that mystique was finished.

We learnt alot from that round 3 match, especially in close games.

LostDoggy
10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Yeah we crapped ourselves in round 3 and were so unlucky with 90 seconds to go. Could imagine Bevo after the game 'Dont believe the hype, you boys are better than that lot'.

LostDoggy
10-01-2017, 11:29 AM
I still remind my work colleague who is a very passionate Hawks fan about this game every day.

The day of our final against West Coast I ask "Are we a chance tonight?" he's reply was, Well no... But I think the Cats will roll us tomorrow night so I'll be cheering on you blokes as I would much rather play the Dogs next week.

Careful what you wish for!

Loved that we out-numbered them in the crowd with our noise. Hawks threw everything at us early, by half time it was pretty much even and that scuffle was so symbolic. I'm as sceptic as it comes when I'm at the footy, it drives my wife and friends insane. But at half time it was so obvious (even to me) that we had their measure and would run all over them.

jeemak
10-01-2017, 01:13 PM
It was clear the good ol' boys of the Hawks (Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli and Lewis) sent Duryea in at us at half time so they could come over the top and try and assert some authority. Just like every other team that's tried to rough us up it didn't pan out well for them.

Mofra
10-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I just loved the one on one Bonti had against Hodge.
You could almost see the baton being passed as Hodge's on-field invincibility became Bonti's.

Loved that after the Bont took the mark Tom Boyd came through to give Hodge a bump too - very unsociable.

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 04:18 PM
It was clear the good ol' boys of the Hawks (Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli and Lewis) sent Duryea in at us at half time so they could come over the top and try and assert some authority. Just like every other team that's tried to rough us up it didn't pan out well for them.

The umpire had to save them. That was funny.

I just loved the one on one Bonti had against Hodge.
You could almost see the baton being passed as Hodge's on-field invincibility became Bonti's.

Loved that after the Bont took the mark Tom Boyd came through to give Hodge a bump too - very unsociable.

Hodge had tried to bolo punch him as he stood up. Tom was concerned for his safety so the sensible thing to do was sit him back on his arse.

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 04:22 PM
That round three game was like copping the one in the one out of ten unlikely outcomes. Nine other times a team relying on a Hail Mary off the half back line with 30 seconds left to go and the opposition player in the marking contest's knee to somehow spontaneously combust underneath him would lose.

In other words our luck held up as per usual that day.

Mantis
11-01-2017, 10:26 AM
That round three game was like copping the one in the one out of ten unlikely outcomes. Nine other times a team relying on a Hail Mary off the half back line with 30 seconds left to go and the opposition player in the marking contest's knee to somehow spontaneously combust underneath him would lose.

In other words our luck held up as per usual that day.

It might be 1 in 10 for other teams, but for us it's more like 6 or 7 out of 10.. We had been shit at closing out games in the past.

LostDoggy
11-01-2017, 11:47 AM
It might be 1 in 10 for other teams, but for us it's more like 6 or 7 out of 10.. We had been shit at closing out games in the past.

We sure have turned that around since, the Sydney H/A game, the wins over Crows, Pies and North (was it Richmond as well?), then of course the Prelim and Granny. plenty of historical references the other way that I don't want to name..

Mofra
11-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Excellent this year though - Hawks H&A game aside we tend to win the close ones under Bevo.

Twodogs
11-01-2017, 02:56 PM
It's more the manner of the loss. We may be efficient at grinding out close wins but if there's a tragic or notable way to lose a game that's bound to end up as a trivia question then the answer is usually going to be us.

LostDoggy
11-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Probably one of my favourite moments of the finals, loved it :cool:

jeemak
13-01-2017, 02:12 AM
As an aside, Shaun Burgoyn's kick forward under pressure at the 12:30 mark of the first quarter symbolises how bloody good he is as an all round midfielder. It went sixty five metres without a heap of effort and was perfect.

He's almost the best traded in player to ever play the game in my view. I know a couple of Hawks supporters who are eating words over him just as hard as I am over Liam Picken these days.

LostDoggy
13-01-2017, 05:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jcDDWDL_Q

This game is so much fun to watch, I must've done it 20 times. The period I love best is the 6 minutes to half time, where we win 10 inside 50s to 1 and convert a 23 point deficit to a 1 point deficit. We went in trailling at half time but I was so confident they were cooked and we had them, just watching the body language of those closing first half minutes.

Given it was the biggest crowd this group had ever played in front of, and our opponents were 3 time reigning champs, our ability to turn things around in those few minutes is beautiful to watch and sums up that great month.

If I could isolate 1 passage, it would be from 6.48 on the above, where Hawthorn repeatedly look to have time and space, but our intensity and well drilled systems wear them down, resulting in a JJ tackle and ultimately a Clay Smith goal, but the whole period from 5.25 to 11.00 is footballing poetry.

Topdog
13-01-2017, 09:36 AM
As an aside, Shaun Burgoyn's kick forward under pressure at the 12:30 mark of the first quarter symbolises how bloody good he is as an all round midfielder. It went sixty five metres without a heap of effort and was perfect.

He's almost the best traded in player to ever play the game in my view. I know a couple of Hawks supporters who are eating words over him just as hard as I am over Liam Picken these days.

My favourite Hawk without a doubt and severely underrated in that team.

LostDoggy
13-01-2017, 10:02 AM

This game is so much fun to watch, I must've done it 20 times. The period I love best is the 6 minutes to half time, where we win 10 inside 50s to 1 and convert a 23 point deficit to a 1 point deficit. We went in trailling at half time but I was so confident they were cooked and we had them, just watching the body language of those closing first half minutes.

Given it was the biggest crowd this group had ever played in front of, and our opponents were 3 time reigning champs, our ability to turn things around in those few minutes is beautiful to watch and sums up that great month.

If I could isolate 1 passage, it would be from 6.48 on the above, where Hawthorn repeatedly look to have time and space, but our intensity and well drilled systems wear them down, resulting in a JJ tackle and ultimately a Clay Smith goal, but the whole period from 5.25 to 11.00 is footballing poetry.

Couldn't agree more, what a testament to the fortitude of this team to not wilt under the pressure and stigma, then demoralize the previous champions.

No opposition coaches address at a break in any game next year will be saying 'we have this game won'.

bornadog
13-01-2017, 10:03 AM

How good was Dunkley in that quarter, could have had three goals and racked up the possessions.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 10:05 AM

My favourite Hawk without a doubt and severely underrated in that team.

He's the bastard that went with the long Hail Mary kick out of their backline in R3 too.

Bloody good player.

Best player ever traded, huh? That deserves a thread.