PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 Team, 2017.

Pages : 1 [2]

bornadog
15-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Cant see either playing - Campbell will need a week or two fitness you'd think

But I agree with others that Jong is in the 22 - what I don't know is who won't play

Clay out, Jong in.

jeemak
16-03-2017, 12:14 AM
If Dickson gets through a full hit out this week then he can play round one. He's contributed underdone before and can do it again in the early stages. It's not ideal, but there's nobody like him on our list who can play the vital role he does.

Mantis
16-03-2017, 09:07 AM
If Dickson gets through a full hit out this week then he can play round one. He's contributed underdone before and can do it again in the early stages. It's not ideal, but there's nobody like him on our list who can play the vital role he does.

I can't see the point in rushing him in.. Has had a severely compromised pre-season so we should give him a solid 4-6 week training block before even thinking about selecting him.

1eyedog
16-03-2017, 09:20 AM

I reckon Crameri can play a very similar role for us and he will cover for Dicko for a week or two.

always right
16-03-2017, 11:53 AM
No way Jong misses. We need his pace and ability to run with Treloar if he gets off the chain. His JLT form was outstanding whereas Dunkley and Smith really struggled. I also think Bevo rates Jong and would have been very close to naming him in our GF team last year.

dukedog
17-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Clay out, Jong in.

With respect to you fine sir. I cannot see how you could swap clay for jong. Clays finals series was incredible.

bornadog
17-03-2017, 05:46 PM
With respect to you fine sir. I cannot see how you could swap clay for jong. Clays finals series was incredible.

Yes it was.

I am going by pre-season form and at the moment Clay needs to do more.

dukedog
17-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Fair call. Very difficult for the MC. Jong does deserve a fair crack at it. Could easily rotate a handful of players in and out and see who wants the spot more. Bring on round one. Crameri is a must in. He is too dangerous to leave out.

merantau
19-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Bevo will ensure that the team is picked on form. For some that means they will be dropped from the Grand Final side. Tough, but what's good for the team is the ONLY consideration. And that’s ok because I'm sure all the players understand that, accept it and, if on the receiving end of a selection decision, will take it on the chin and then re-double their efforts to win back their spot. At least, I hope that's what the state of affairs is!
We are the hunted now and I think we have to be very hard-nosed in the way we go about it. We have a lot of good players now. Competition for a spot will be red hot.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2017, 09:54 PM
So pumped to see our 22 named. There's going to be some hard luck stories that have to force their way in, but also some opportunities to get into the team and stay there on form. Setting the tone for the year ahead, I'm happy it's not my job to pick the team each week to defend our second premiership.

The Pie Man
23-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Despite Campbell being declared fit, I'm not convinced they'll play him first up.

Changes from the GF side.

In: Murphy, Crameri, Jong, Suckling, Cloke
Out: Hamling, Dickson, Smith, Dunkley, Roughead

If Tom C plays, one of Cordy or Roberts may miss. Smith looked the most vulnerable from the GC game. Tough calls.

Mantis
23-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Despite Campbell being declared fit, I'm not convinced they'll play him first up.

Bevo just had a press conference (key comments on twitter) and mentoned that Cloke will be pinch hitting in the ruck which suggests that Boyd plays as no.1 ruck and Clokey fills in.

The Pie Man
23-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Bevo just had a press conference (key comments on twitter) and mentoned that Cloke will be pinch hitting in the ruck which suggests that Boyd plays as no.1 ruck and Clokey fills in.

I don't mind it - have a suspicion Tom B's best footy will be in the ruck. No idea how Cloke will fare as the 2nd ruck on the otherhand, perhaps it'll be another find.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2017, 12:58 PM
No way Jong misses. We need his pace and ability to run with Treloar if he gets off the chain. His JLT form was outstanding whereas Dunkley and Smith really struggled. I also think Bevo rates Jong and would have been very close to naming him in our GF team last year.

Jong is also very much a confidence player. His form can fluctuate more than anyone else in the side. Injuries and the frustration of being on the fringe/getting picked/dropped definitely has an impact in his confidence.

Two seasons ago he started the year full of confidence and was one of our bests in our early resurgence under Bevo, then got injured and wasn't the same for some time.

Right now he's taking marks, kicking goals and getting active around the contests. He still needs to carry the ball more and use his pace to break lines but he's still a very good asset when in form and should be in the team.

Dunks is only in his second year and had a dream run last year. He can afford to have a little reminder that it doesn't always come easy I feel.

Clay Smith reminds me of Cameron's Dad's Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day off. You know how awesome this thing can be at full tilt, but is it worth taking it out for a little stroll when it can get damaged so easily. You are scared to take it for a drive often but it's worth the risk for that special occasion.

Axe Man
23-03-2017, 01:05 PM
BULLDOGS SELECTION NEWS (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia/news-story/08095339c3cf8f630db33dd03235d63c)

AS many as four Western Bulldogs premiership players will be left out of the club's season-opening clash with a Collingwood. Coach Luke Beveridge said Travis Cloke would be among a potential quartet of fresh faces to take on the Pies.

Returning captain Robert Murphy, Matt Suckling and Stewart Crameri are also poised to play.

Beveridge said Cloke, playing his old side in his debut appearance as a Bulldog, had been a bit jittery.

"I'd imagine he's pretty nervous. I've been there a couple of times myself where you come up against your old team, but he's determined to do well, Beveridge said.

"I'm sure the (Collingwood) players and supporters still have a huge soft spot for Clokey. He's a decorated player ... and I'm sure they all remember that ... but I'm sure they'll definitely let him know he's playing for the opposition."

Forward Tory Dickson will play VFL tomorrow to build fitness while Jordan Roughead is still a fair way off resuming from a pre-season knee injury.

Josh Dunkley's spot is also uncertain

"All coaches have a sense of loyalty and a pretty vivid memory of the recent past," Beveridge said

"There's going to be one or two players miss out who played in last year's premiership side so that's a difficult conversation to have."

Beveridge said it was a "huge honour" to be made a professor at Victoria University.

The premiership coach will be an adjunct professor, working on a number of activities related to the University’s sport science, coach, and management courses.

Murphy'sLore
23-03-2017, 03:50 PM
The Not-So-Nutty Professor!

bornadog
23-03-2017, 07:33 PM
B Dale Morris, Fletcher Roberts, Jason Johannisen

HB Shane Biggs, Easton Wood, Robert Murphy

C Lachie Hunter, Luke Dahlhaus, Matthew Boyd

HF Tom Liberatore, Zaine Cordy, Jake Stringer

F Toby McLean, Travis Cloke, Liam Picken

FOL Tom Boyd, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

I/C Matthew Suckling, Stewart Crameri, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong

EMG Clay Smith, Tom Campbell, Josh Dunkley

dukedog
23-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Yes it was.

I am going by pre-season form and at the moment Clay needs to do more.

The master. I shall not doubt again.

GVGjr
23-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Who's the luckiest player to be selected for us in terms for form?

bulldogsthru&thru
23-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Clay Smith and Dunkley the unlucky ones. Surprising for Smith given he was one of our best in the finals

dukedog
23-03-2017, 07:47 PM
luke beveridge:cool:

chef
23-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Jong over Smith the only surprise.

Good side.

Bulldog4life
23-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Cordy started in defence or on the bench

G-Mo77
23-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Just realised how late the VFL starts this season. It'll be Round 3 in the AFL. (Edit: It will actually be Round 4 for us)

What happens to the players not playing? How many pre season games do the VFL have?

Can I do the traditional what are they thinking post?

Look surprised no Campbell, doesn't seem ideal to have Tom as our #1 ruck but this is what we've been dealt.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Clay Smith and Dunkley the unlucky ones. Surprising for Smith given he was one of our best in the finals

Smith's toughness will be missed. He was inspirational last year during the finals series.Pleased for Jong but would have preferred Smith.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2017, 08:10 PM
I feel we are a better side with a fit and firing Clay Smith in it, especially in high pressure games.

Obviously would prefer a recognised ruck (Rough or Campbell) to partner Boyd.

All in all, obviously a very good side, but I am a little surprised not to see Clay feature.

Mantis
23-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Who's the luckiest player to be selected for us in terms for form?

Not taking into account performances of 2016 I would think that's the best team we could select from players available. Jong out performed Smith and has earnt first crack at it.

As we know it's a long season so the likes of Suckling, Jong, McLean, Cordy, etc.. all need to perform as we have plenty of very capable players awaiting a chance.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Strong side on paper, the backline is stacked with players who will take the game on and we will again bat deep in the midfield rotations.

lemmon
24-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Even without a genuine ruck it's probably one of the taller sides Bevo has sent out. Morris and Roberts up one end, Cloke and Crameri up the other with Zaine floating between them and Boyd rucking. It's still not land of the giants but there should be enough bigs that we arent dumping the footy on Stringer's head

always right
24-03-2017, 10:58 AM
No surprises in this team selection......side picked on form as it should be. Clay Smith's performances in the finals were amazing but it counts for nothing if his JLT form was poor.....as it certainly was. Jong deserves his spot...now it's up to him to keep it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Murphy Crameri and Cloke were obvious inclusions. Still to be convinced that Suckling is in our best 22. Going with one genuine ruck man in Boyd is still a bit of a risk and perhaps Campbell is a little unlucky as a replacement for Roughead. Clay Smith very unlucky also given his terrific 2016 finals campaign.

Eastdog
24-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Murphy Crameri and Cloke were obvious inclusions. Still to be convinced that Suckling is in our best 22. Going with one genuine ruck man in Boyd is still a bit of a risk and perhaps Campbell is a little unlucky as a replacement for Roughead. Clay Smith very unlucky also given his terrific 2016 finals campaign.

A healthy injection in the forward line hopefully that translates to a lot of goals. Really hope Stringer now can seize this opportunity. How many will Cloke kick for us NBP?

bornadog
24-03-2017, 03:54 PM

As Bevo said -2016 is 2016 and now we are in 2017 and players must come in on merit. Clay needs to fine form and work his way back in.

Campbell unlucky with ankle issue.

always right
24-03-2017, 08:27 PM

Suckling may not end up best 22 but his JLT series absolutely justifies his selection. Would you have simply stuck with our premiership side (excluding Roughy)?