PDA

View Full Version : Ayce Cordy

hujsh
27-12-2007, 02:34 AM
I know it's early but after seeing some of Geelong's father son picks i've gotten a bit excited about getting this kid easily with the Father Son rule. Any information would be awesome

Mantis
27-12-2007, 08:42 AM
I know it's early but after seeing some of Geelong's father son picks i've gotten a bit excited about getting this kid easily with the Father Son rule. Any information would be awesome

He is tall and skinny.

LostDoggy
27-12-2007, 08:45 AM
He is tall and skinny.
You left out young.

Go_Dogs
27-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Apparently a tall forward too according to the recent article on the Dogs site.

The Underdog
27-12-2007, 04:35 PM
You left out young.

i'd be disappointed if he was tall, skinny and old:D

hujsh
27-12-2007, 07:10 PM
i'd be disappointed if he was tall, skinny and old:D

Very true. I think he might be eligible for the draft next year.

Topdog
28-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Very true. I think he might be eligible for the draft next year.

He is eligible. Just need to make sure he nominates

LostDoggy
28-12-2007, 12:26 PM
He is eligible. Just need to make sure he nominates

And then make sure we can nab him with a later pick now that this selection rule is in place.

Dogs 24/7
28-12-2007, 05:23 PM
And then make sure we can nab him with a later pick now that this selection rule is in place.
A mate of mine at the club reckons we will need to use a 2nd round pick. Does anyone know if he is worth it?
He needs to put on a lot of weight which isn't surprising given his age but I dont want to give up an early pick if he is just another Nick Bruton.

Harbrow_hero
28-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Is Bruton playin anywhere?Never understood why we got him

soupman
29-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Is Bruton playin anywhere?Never understood why we got him

Tall=good

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Tall=good
Clayton's record with project talls isnt great. Bruton was never going to make it as an elite footballer.

LostDoggy
29-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Clayton's record with project talls isnt great. Bruton was never going to make it as an elite footballer.

Harris?

GVGjr
29-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Harris?

Was Harris a real project play Ernie? The problem he had with his adenoids was the real reason why he slipped under the radar. I think he was more of a smokey than a project player.

hujsh
29-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Was Harris a real project play Ernie? The problem he had with his adenoids was the real reason why he slipped under the radar. I think he was more of a smokey than a project player.

Wasn't he also meant to be a forward or was that just where he played as a junior

LostDoggy
29-12-2007, 11:09 PM

They are all projects as far as I'm concern as no one is a cert especially talls taken at 50+.

GVGjr
29-12-2007, 11:37 PM
They are all projects as far as I'm concern as no one is a cert especially talls taken at 50+.
To my way of thinking Williams was a project player (albeit a strong calculated risk) and Harris was a smokey. Wells was a project player as well.
Bruton was known by a few teams but we were the only one willing to add him to a senior list on the speculation that he might make it long term.

GVGjr
30-12-2007, 12:28 AM
This from the Geelong addy. It's pretty much what was in the Bulldogs website.

Bulldogs put Cordy to test

Brad Green

29Dec07
IN what could be an indicator towards his football future, Geelong Falcon Ayce Cordy will spend a week training with the Western Bulldogs next month.

The Bulldogs' recruiting manager Scott Clayton has confirmed they are interested in possibly drafting the Ocean Grove teenager under the father-son rule next year.

Clayton and the Bulldogs' coaching staff will get a good look at Cordy in action when he spends a week at the Whitten Oval as part of the AIS/AFL Academy program, of which he is a scholarship holder next year.

``They just get involved and do the training program, so they get a bit of a feel of what its like to be at an AFL club and get some exposure to an AFL club,'' Clayton told afl.com.au of the training experience.

``We're keeping a good eye on him this year.''

His dad Brian played 124 games for the Bulldogs between 1981 and 1988 and also had four years coaching the Falcons in the TAC Cup.

The 202cm Cordy, who is also a promising basketballer, played just three games for the Falcons this season, but did enough to impress.

He will again split his time next year between playing in the TAC Cup and school football commitments with Geelong College.

However, Clayton and the Bulldogs have seen enough of the lightly-built youngster to know he looks a player in the making.

``He's a big, tall player . . . we'll see where it takes us,'' Clayton said.

``He's probably a forward at this stage. He's multi-skilled, he's also a basketballer having been in some elite basketball squads, so it's exciting.''

hujsh
30-12-2007, 01:40 AM
He'll be a fair bit taller than the average full forward

Mofra
30-12-2007, 09:12 AM
He'll be a fair bit taller than the average full forward

Nothing wrong with that. Didn't stop Paul Salmon, and I'm not sure we're in danger of becoming too top heavy in a hurry.

Go_Dogs
30-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Or Westhoff or Lade or... the list continues. Lots of talls are around that mark, and increasingly so too. I wouldn't mind having a powerful forward who stood 200cm's.

hujsh
30-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Didn't stop Paul Salmon, and I'm not sure we're in danger of becoming too top heavy in a hurry.

I'm not complaining. I reckon it's awesome, especially if he is still as quick, agile ect as say a Fevola

hujsh
30-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Or Westhoff or Lade or... the list continues. Lots of talls are around that mark, and increasingly so too. I wouldn't mind having a powerful forward who stood 200cm's.

Westhoff is a good point but Lade is really just a ruckman who sits in the forward half.

Sockeye Salmon
31-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Nothing wrong with a 202cm full forward, but he has not be a FF, not a ruckman trying to be a FF. Very few rucks are successful forwards other than short spells pinch-hitting.

With the new rules that stop defenders defending, I think we will see a trend towards taller and taller KPP's.

The way the rules are, if you're shorter than your opponent there is bugger all you can do to stop him, it's the main reason Ryan Hargrave gives away so many frees. If today's rules were in place 30 years ago Francis Bourke and Bruce Doull would have never been able to switch to FB & CHB later in their careers.

GVGjr
31-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Nothing wrong with a 202cm full forward, but he has not be a FF, not a ruckman trying to be a FF. Very few rucks are successful forwards other than short spells pinch-hitting.

Exactly. It's taken Brad Ottens until recently to learn how to be effective as both a ruckman and/or a forward

Bulldog Revolution
31-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Exactly. It's taken Brad Ottens until recently to learn how to be effective as both a ruckman and/or a forward

I completely agree with what you are saying, and even though he isn't as good up forward as he used to be, he still is a good target

hujsh
31-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Yep. And it was about the end of Darcy's career that he looked like he could play forward (then he got injured)

Drunken Bum
26-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Just a query on the bidding system for F/S, didnt want to open up another thread and not sure where else to put it. I understand the bidding system pretty well it has been explained more than enough times, but there is one thing i havent seen covered in the process. Ok it goes reverse order asking each club what they would bid for him correct? Now my question is do the clubs know what the previous club has bid or not? i would think in all fairness they shouldnt be aware of what everyone else has bid because that would lesson the chances of a club making a dummy bid just to make us use our first rounder and although still unlikely apparently, it would increase the chances of him falling though to the 2nd round. Knowing the AFL though i doubt that this is how it works.
Does anyone know whether this is the case or not and agree or disagree with my analysis?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 07:39 PM
While we are on Ayve, can those educated in juniors and seen a fair bit of him, can you please tell me what he has done to have all this hype. Why looking at the top 13 (that includes Sidebottom around 8 or so, still in play for Richmond etc) would they want to bid for him, risking not getting others?

The Coon Dog
26-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Now my question is do the clubs know what the previous club has bid or not? i would think in all fairness they shouldnt be aware of what everyone else has bid because that would lesson the chances of a club making a dummy bid just to make us use our first rounder and although still unlikely apparently, it would increase the chances of him falling though to the 2nd round. Knowing the AFL though i doubt that this is how it works.
Does anyone know whether this is the case or not and agree or disagree with my analysis?
Not too sure I understand you here DB. Can you try to explain that part another way?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Not too sure I understand you here DB. Can you try to explain that part another way?
Baz,

I think he is asking if the other clubs know who is bidding???

I.e. - Will Sydney know if Richmond has bid and vice versa??

Drunken Bum
26-09-2008, 08:24 PM

well during the bidding process are all the clubs in the same room when they go from one to the next and ask what they bid, or are they asked seperately so they do not know whether the previous club has bid a first round or a third round pick.

i am of the opinion that they shouldnt be aware of what other clubs have bid as you would get closer to market value that way, rather than getting to the club in the position before us realising that no one else has bid a first rounder and then thinking well we know the dogs will take it and we dont want him to drop to the 2nd round for them, even if they hadn't been planning to bid that pick because they had a different need.

The Coon Dog
26-09-2008, 09:02 PM
well during the bidding process are all the clubs in the same room when they go from one to the next and ask what they bid, or are they asked seperately so they do not know whether the previous club has bid a first round or a third round pick.

i am of the opinion that they shouldnt be aware of what other clubs have bid as you would get closer to market value that way, rather than getting to the club in the position before us realising that no one else has bid a first rounder and then thinking well we know the dogs will take it and we dont want him to drop to the 2nd round for them, even if they hadn't been planning to bid that pick because they had a different need.

I am not too sure how the actual mechanics work.

At the end of the day clubs will collude one way or the other. I reckon before they enter the room they'll all know which club, if any, will bid.

My guess is Richmond.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I am not too sure how the actual mechanics work.

At the end of the day clubs will collude one way or the other. I reckon before they enter the room they'll all know which club, if any, will bid.

My guess is Richmond.
Richmond could get young Sidebottom with pick 8.

Big call to pass on that opportunity for Ayce.

Happy Days
26-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Won't clubs just nominate for Ayce, knowing full well we are taking him?

The Coon Dog
26-09-2008, 10:37 PM

I reckon those with the first 6 picks will not nominate, they would have earmarked who they want & would be committed to that selection.

I reckon it's from pick 7-13 we have to worry about.

Twodogs
27-09-2008, 11:46 AM

Yep. I've said it from the moment this system was announced. The system is open to manipulation and it'll be us who cops it the worse because as soon as it happens to say a Collingwood or an interstate club, or even if one of those clubs decide they no longer like it, the whole system will be reviewed.

We will miss out big time with this stupid, stupid rule.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep. I've said it from the moment this system was announced. The system is open to manipulation and it'll be us who cops it the worse because as soon as it happens to say a Collingwood or an interstate club, or even if one of those clubs decide they no longer like it, the whole system will be reviewed.

We will miss out big time with this stupid, stupid rule.

The Saints have been frustrated by trying to recruit ruckman over a number of years and might look at Cordy as a nice solution to their problems in a couple of seasons time. There isn't a lot of downside risk for them to nominate him knowing at the very least we would feel obliged to use the next pick. If for some reason we didn't take that option it's not like the Saints would be screwed at all but at the very least they have made sure we don't pay silver and receive gold by getting him in the 2nd round.

I agree it's not a good rule and they need to come up with a better solution.

Desipura
27-09-2008, 11:59 AM
The Saints have been frustrated by trying to recruit ruckman over a number of years and might look at Cordy as a nice solution to their problems in a couple of seasons time. There isn't a lot of downside risk for them to nominate him knowing at the very least we would feel obliged to use the next pick. If for some reason we didn't take that option it's not like the Saints would be screwed at all but at the very least they have made sure we don't pay silver and receive gold by getting him in the 2nd round.

Not too sure about that, they invested in McEvoy last year and cannot see them going another ruckman with their first pick again.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Not too sure about that, they invested in McEvoy last year and cannot see them going another ruckman with their first pick again.

My response was more towards answering what Twodogs said than being based on anything concrete. It should show that we or anyone else could be manipulated though.
But in response to your post:

McEvoy plays more as a key forward than he does as a ruckman in the VFL but will switch between the two positions. Given the form and age of Gardiner and King I think they would could be tempted to add another ruckman anyway. The point I was making is that there isn't a lot of downside in a team like the Saints nominating Cordy and putting the acid test on us to take him in the first round.

anthj
28-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Why would a club want to screw us by nominating him so we have to use pick #14 on him. The clubs know we will get him no matter what, so what's the point! How awesome it would be if we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round!

MrMahatma
28-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Why would a club want to screw us by nominating him so we have to use pick #14 on him. The clubs know we will get him no matter what, so what's the point! How awesome it would be if we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round!
So you'd be OK with us letting Collingwood or any other team take a F/S rated a potential top 5 pick, with their 2nd or 3rd rounder, so they could nab another good young kid with their first rounder?

It's a 'competition'... not a love in.

Born & Bred
28-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Would be nice to see him play as he hardly pulled on the boots for Geelong Falcons this year.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Would be nice to see him play as he hardly pulled on the boots for Geelong Falcons this year.
This is my point. I have asked repeatedly on threads, and will do so again, apart from his height and agility and potential (bearing in mind Livingston was the next Silvagni and we had the next Macleod), what hs he done to mandate going first round.

What comps has he dominated, how many games won off his own boot, what games has everyone watches in awe of him. Please WOOF watchers, tell me what he actually done to get my rate rate up about drafting, and dont say only potential because everyone has potential.

GVGjr
28-09-2008, 06:54 PM
This is my point. I have asked repeatedly on threads, and will do so again, apart from his height and agility and potential (bearing in mind Livingston was the next Silvagni and we had the next Macleod), what hs he done to mandate going first round.

What comps has he dominated, how many games won off his own boot, what games has everyone watches in awe of him. Please WOOF watchers, tell me what he actually done to get my rate rate up about drafting, and dont say only potential because everyone has potential.

We keep having to go back to the P word I'm afraid. Between his school footy last season and the occasional game for the Falcons and then a couple for Vic Country most of us haven't seen anywhere near enough to make a strong call. I do know that Chris Grant thought he was a talent and the Bulldog recruiters were talking about him last year as well as a terrific talent and they haven't changed their views this season. Given his height and build you can only select him as a long term project and there will be no return for a couple of seasons. I'd love to be able to tell you he is a can't miss prospect but I have some reservations mainly about how long it will take for him to fill out.
Draft camp might provide some more answers.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2008, 06:57 PM
We keep having to go back to the P word I'm afraid. Between his school footy last season and the occasional game for the Falcons and then a couple for Vic Country most of us haven't seen anywhere near enough to make a strong call. I do know that Chris Grant thought he was a talent and the Bulldog recruiters were talking about him last year as well as a terrific talent and they haven't changed their views this season. Given his height and build you can only select him as a long term project and there will be no return for a couple of seasons. I'd love to be able to tell you he is a can't miss prospect but I have some reservations mainly about how long it will take for him to fill out.
Draft camp might provide some more answers.
Thanks Gaz, i thought that would be the case. But if Chris is talking him up, i would have thought he would know an average KPP forward as we provided him with plenty in the forward line over his career. Any wonder he went to CHB.

I should say i'm not against getting him, just why he is a top 14 pick.

Now to draft camp as you say.

Sockeye Salmon
28-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks Gaz, i thought that would be the case. But if Chris is talking him up, i would have thought he would know an average KPP forward as we provided him with plenty in the forward line over his career. Any wonder he went to CHB.

I should say i'm not against getting him, just why he is a top 14 pick.

Now to draft camp as you say.

I'd like to see us offer pick 14 to St. Kilda for Kossie well before draft time.

Just to put some doubt in the minds of a few recruiters.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd like to see us offer pick 14 to St. Kilda for Kossie well before draft time.

SS,

That could be a good move. If we traded Ray out West for an exchange of second and third rounders, if no-one wanted Ayce inside the top 20 we could snap him up pick 19 or so.

Interesting move.

I like your thinking.

GVGjr
28-09-2008, 07:08 PM

I know what you mean but doesn't the FS selections have to be finalised before the trade period discussions? We would just need someone from the media to float the idea that the deal was as good as done and likely to go through on day one of the trade period.

Mantis
28-09-2008, 07:09 PM

The selections for F/S take place before trade week.

Scorlibo
28-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Good plan SS.

42-C-3, Father-son bidding is before trade week so we wouldn't be able to get another draft pick to use on Cordy.

Sockeye Salmon
28-09-2008, 07:14 PM
SS,

That could be a good move. If we traded Ray out West for an exchange of second and third rounders, if no-one wanted Ayce inside the top 20 we could snap him up pick 19 or so.

Interesting move.

I like your thinking.

F/S is done before trade time, that's my point.

Let it be known that we really want an established, decent forward and we're prepared to pay for him.

Now, who's really ready to risk a first rounder on a stick who's already had a busted shoulder?

Of course there's nothing to make us go through with it and actually trade our first rounder, is there?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2008, 07:27 PM
F/S is done before trade time, that's my point.

Let it be known that we really want an established, decent forward and we're prepared to pay for him.

Now, who's really ready to risk a first rounder on a stick who's already had a busted shoulder?

Of course there's nothing to make us go through with it and actually trade our first rounder, is there?
Don't know what I was thinking...

But still, i like your thinking.

The Coon Dog
28-09-2008, 08:36 PM

I suppose if you lead someome to think you will deal with them & subsequently renege on that deal, you would soon get a name as someone not to deal with in future.

Scorlibo
29-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I suppose if you lead someome to think you will deal with them & subsequently renege on that deal, you would soon get a name as someone not to deal with in future.

That's why Clayton's moving up North next year :D

bulldogtragic
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I wonder how many clubs interviewed Ayce today?

Mofra
01-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Ayce at draft camp

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aycecordyzk8.jpg

(Stupid link works elsewhere)

Check them out here. Michael Martin looks a bit like one Brian Lake:

http://www.gspimages.com.au/photography/results/?q=collection:AFL%202008%20Media%20-%20%202008%20NAB%20AFL%20Draft%20Camp&sub_code=all&page=1

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Which one is Ayce?

This one I suppose
http://www.gspimages.com.au/image/?image_id=161103

GVGjr
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Which one is Ayce?

This one I suppose
http://www.gspimages.com.au/image/?image_id=161103

Yes that's him. Nick Bruton thin.

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes that's him. Nick Bruton thin.
I wish you had of used another example there.
Hope thats the only time those two people are associated.

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Christ, another wafer thin tall. He is right up Scott Claytons recruiting alley.

If he cant find any lightly framed mid fielders then his next best option is a tall player that is skinny as hell.

Ayce wouldnt be able to play on a windy day as they would need to fetch him out of Port Phillip Bay at the end of each quarter!

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/saints-to-push-dogs-for-cordy/2008/10/01/1222651172055.html

Looks like he will have to go with our first pick

GVGjr
02-10-2008, 05:45 AM

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/saints-to-push-dogs-for-cordy/2008/10/01/1222651172055.html

Looks like he will have to go with our first pick

I know my prediction was more around a club that would be looking for a ruckman and how that might upset the applecart for us around getting Cordy in the 2nd round and SS idea wasn't a bad one however, at the very least, it now looks like they are prepared to call our bluff.

Whats everyone's thoughts on selecting a project player with the first pick?

The Doctor
02-10-2008, 08:30 AM
It was mentioned on SEN this morning that Cordy was considered by one recruiter as being better than Natanui and Vickery.

Well we need a tall forward. We need a ruckman. Here's a kid who can probably do both. Makes it a no brainer for our first pick.

The Coon Dog
02-10-2008, 08:34 AM
It was mentioned on SEN this morning that Cordy was considered by one recruiter as being better than Natanui and Vickery.

Well we need a tall forward. We need a ruckman. Here's a kid who can probably do both. Makes it a no brainer for our first pick.

Funny how you hear all sorts of wraps on the draftees at this time of year. I hope this is true. I guess we'll know in about 7 years time.

'He's the next Andrew McLeod' is one that springs to mind.

The Doctor
02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Funny how you hear all sorts of wraps on the draftees at this time of year. I hope this is true. I guess we'll know in about 7 years time.

'He's the next Andrew McLeod' is one that springs to mind.

I remember that call at the time and I thought it was just an outright stupid call.

Bulldog Revolution
02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Projecting key position players success at the AFL level is obviously much harder to project from the U18's but I dont think we can argue with Clayton for getting an athletic tall ruck forward combination on to the list with pick #14.

Clayton has always erred on the side of long range project players anyway but I think he showed last year with a few picks that he's adding some tougher almost ready types to the list also (Ward, OKeefe & Reid).

I still do not think that this new father/son selection process is in keeping with the spirit of what a father/son system should be about. I strongly believe that a father son system should never compromise a clubs first round draft pick, regardless of how good the kid involved is. However I know there are others that disagree with me

GVGjr
02-10-2008, 09:23 AM

Makes you wonder though if we had pick 6 this year and were a chance to get Vickery if we would still be as bullish at getting Cordy?

Cordy will take a lot of time to develop and I'd question if the majority of our supporters have the patience to wait before turning the blowtorch on him. Half way through the season when Grant went down with OP I started to hear that we wasted that pick and I'd imagine any sort of delay in Cordy's progress will be heavily scrutinized.

There is little doubt that he will land with us but we need to have plenty of patience.

The Doctor
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Makes you wonder though if we had pick 6 this year and were a chance to get Vickery if we would still be as bullish at getting Cordy?

Cordy will take a lot of time to develop and I'd question if the majority of our supporters have the patience to wait before turning the blowtorch on him. Half way through the season when Grant went down with OP I started to hear that we wasted that pick and I'd imagine any sort of delay in Cordy's progress will be heavily scrutinized.

There is little doubt that he will land with us but we need to have plenty of patience.

You and I have both been around long enough to know that the opinions of 17 year old footy tragics or the plain uninformed matters little. Because a Rhys Palmer comes out and plays well in his first season and our guy doesn't these people post all kinds of rubbish about how we stuffed up. Yet these would be the same people that had we not chosen a KP with our first pick in the draft would have said the same thing.

Unless they are a freak (ie Judd) it always takes time for a 17 year old to develop. Some will show a bit more earlier than others but generally a draftee is more for the mid to long term anyhow. If they play well immediately then that is a bonus and sometimes that can be because the team was very weak in that position and had limited option (re:Freo and Palmer, how many hames would Palmer have got with the Dogs this year? 5 or 6?).

bulldogtragic
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Obviously someone will, but (including myself) can someone please post if draft camp results ASAP.

I would love to see how he rates if all this hullabaloo says he's top 5 material with a year out, a bung shoulder and no frame to speak of.

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd question if the majority of our supporters have the patience to wait before turning the blowtorch on him. Half way through the season when Grant went down with OP I started to hear that we wasted that pick and I'd imagine any sort of delay in Cordy's progress will be heavily scrutinized.

I guess the questioning has come from recent past history with the disappointments from our drafting of tall players GVG.

Tim Walsh was a first round selection and we all waited patiently for zip. Tom Williams is another top ten draftee who hasn't been able to get going because of constant injury (at least we know he can play though .... albeit injury prone). Whilst Wight wasnt first round, he is another player who hasn't developed.

Maybe we fear that we are being forced to use a first round pick for a F/S and that Ayce may not be the best available option.

Dont some tall players actually have some bulk on them? Surely Roughhead, Franklin Kruezer, Pavlich weren't skinny like the ones that Clayton drafts!!!

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I remember that call at the time and I thought it was just an outright stupid call.

True, up there with the next Dermie. :confused:

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 12:06 PM

Disagree. We have waited 54yrs. Fans love coming to the game to see a glimpse of something special from a 19-21yr old and day dreaming what he could be like in 5yrs.

The thing that destroys football clubs is 'topping up' lists with expierenced players like Freo and St kilda. Dont get sucked into that 'Premiership window' BS.

Bulldog Revolution
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Disagree. We have waited 54yrs. Fans love coming to the game to see a glimpse of something special from a 19-21yr old and day dreaming what he could be like in 5yrs.

The thing that destroys football clubs is 'topping up' lists with expierenced players like Freo and St kilda. Dont get sucked into that 'Premiership window' BS.

Jerry - call it Bulldog intuition but I struggle to believe that you are over 54 years old

However I agree topping up with fringe players is perhaps not the way for us to attempt ito win a flag. However, there are instances in which they can be very handy. So there is really no hard and fast rule. We could definitely use another ready made key position option on the list, but whoever that is wont neccessarily be a 200 game player for the club.

The reality iis f we are to win a flag over the next 2-3 years then the core group of players who will do it are probably already at the club.

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Dont forget we got SPANKED by Hawthorn. They were far too big,strong,quick,skillful,hard, tall etc etc. A couple of older players into our list isnt going to make a difference. We need to develop some quality kids. I dont think we have a realistic chance at a flag for another 3yrs.

bornadog
02-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Extract from article on AFL Website, by Katrina Gill, 2/10/08 (see full article in Dogs Day)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/A_Cordy_draft_a.jpg

Dogfight brewing for Ayce in the pack

The Western Bulldogs should prepare to sacrifice an early pick in the November 29 draft if the club is keen to secure the services of 202cm ruckman Ayce Cordy at the father-son selection meeting on Monday. Cordy, 18, attracted plenty of attention from rival clubs on Wednesday which, courtesy of the revamped father-son bidding system, means the Doggies will more than likely have to give up a second or even first-round pick to claim the talented big man.

The Underdog
03-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Of course if we had pick 6 then it'd be unlikely that any of the teams above us would bid for Cordy and then we'd have a clear shot at someone else and Cordy in round 2, but hey them's the breaks.

I agree that he's going to be under huge scrutiny and expectation from supporters. We need to realise that he's not going to be the answer to our current problems. They are the results of recruiting mistakes 5 years ago and guys like Grant and Cordy probably aren't going to be regular senior players until a 2-4 years down the track.
They're is a huge amount of impatience amongst our supporters, unfortunately a lot of that is being turned into unrealistic expectations of players.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Draft Camp Results:

Ayce is THE tallest at 201.7 cm

5th Best for the agility run - Impressive

However, didn't fiish top 10 for the leaps and no top 10 finishes for sprints/time trials...

gohardorgohome
03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Christ, another wafer thin tall. He is right up Scott Claytons recruiting alley.

If he cant find any lightly framed mid fielders then his next best option is a tall player that is skinny as hell.

Ayce wouldnt be able to play on a windy day as they would need to fetch him out of Port Phillip Bay at the end of each quarter!

Brian Cordy was a fairly strongly built guy. Hopefully he'll fill out.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Hopefully Cordy fills out.

Otherwise, he'll be a mirror image of Wight. 200cms, agile, but unable to put the muscle on. Hopefully he doesn't have the same problems as Cam.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Hopefully Cordy fills out.

Otherwise, he'll be a mirror image of Wight. 200cms, agile, but unable to put the muscle on. Hopefully he doesn't have the same problems as Cam.
I think Cam's main problem is a lack of talent.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I think Cam's main problem is a lack of talent.

I think most would agree with that, but he still hasn't been able to add to his frame since he first came to the club. His lack of strength makes his game that much worse. Thus, I worry Cordy - being as skinny as he is - will have the same dilemma.

Hopefully not, though.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I think most would agree with that, but he still hasn't been able to add to his frame since he first came to the club. His lack of strength makes his game that much worse. Thus, I worry Cordy - being as skinny as he is - will have the same dilemma.

Hopefully not, though.
I tahe your point and agree, but I'm hoping Ayce can ruck or play forward.

Something Cam can not do.

It's time to cut Cam, how many more preseasons will he be given 'to bulk up'. We've tried him in every position on the ground and he hasn't done anything. Also we were crying out for a tall backman and yet he couldn't get a game. Time to cut him, and say 'hello Ace'.

Sockeye Salmon
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I tahe your point and agree, but I'm hoping Ayce can ruck or play forward.

Something Cam can not do.

It's time to cut Cam, how many more preseasons will he be given 'to bulk up'. We've tried him in every position on the ground and he hasn't done anything. Also we were crying out for a tall backman and yet he couldn't get a game. Time to cut him, and say 'hello Ace'.

Wight's problem is that he can't kick or catch

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
affl.com.au

Ayce a step closer
By Jason Phelan
5:30 PM Fri 03 October, 2008

Ayce Cordy is destined for the Western Bulldogs

AYCE Cordy is one step closer to officially becoming a Western Bulldog after the club lodged his name with the AFL before Friday's 2 pm (AEST) deadline for father-son nominations.

The 202cm ruck / key position prospect was the only player to be nominated under the scheme and now all that remains to be determined is how much the former Geelong Falcon will cost the Dogs.

Under the bidding system introduced last year in an effort to make the rule more equitable, rival clubs have the opportunity to bid for a nominated player with the nominating club then compelled to use its next highest draft pick to claim him.

In this scenario it appears almost certain that the Bulldogs will have to use their first-round pick (No.14 overall) as a few clubs, including St Kilda which has pick 13, are reported to be interested in making a bid for Cordy.

Prior to 2007 Cordy could have been claimed with just a third-round pick, but the club's general manager of football, James Fantasia, was unfazed at the prospect of expending a precious first-rounder on the highly-talented junior.

"The paperwork has been lodged and that was lodged a few weeks ago and now we've got to wait until Monday for the pre-father/son bidding," Fantasia said of the meeting where it will be determined which draft pick the club must use on Cordy.

"Realistically we are expecting clubs to bid on Ayce and our first three picks are 14, 32 and 48, so we're expecting him to go with one of those picks. But Monday will come around and we'll get it all done and dusted.

"No matter what happens, we'll be taking him as a father/son [selection] and we're delighted about it."

The son of Brian Cordy, who played 124 matches for the club from 1981-88, has been touted as a possible top-five pick in an open market despite missing most of his last season of junior football after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction back in June.

The lanky Ocean Grove teenager joined the Bulldogs for a short spell of pre-season training in January this year and also toured South Africa as a member of the elite AIS-AFL Academy.

He impressed at the recent NAB AFL Draft Camp where he finished fifth in the agility test despite his imposing height.

This year's single father-son nomination is down on the 2007 intake which saw three players drafted under the unique scheme.

Darcy Daniher, son of Anthony, was snapped up by Essendon with the 39th overall pick, while Geelong Falcons teammates Jaxson Barham and Adam O'Donohue went to Collingwood and the Cats respectively with both clubs using their final round selections after no rival clubs expressed interest in the pair.

GVGjr
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2008/10/02/draft__1__gallery__598x400.jpg

Looks like he is a picture of concentration.

Topdog
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
He really looks like a basketballer.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
He really looks like a basketballer.

He looks like a coathanger

Bulldogs_6
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Or Napoleon Dynamite without the curly hair and glasses.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I found this article was on the Wsetern Bulldogs Website about Ayce Cordy. Good to see he has put on some weight.

The full link is:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/75453/default.aspx

THE DAY father-son acquisition Ayce Cordy makes his debut for the Western Bulldogs will be a time to remember for all the club's supporters.

But fans shouldn't get too excited just yet. The 18-year-old beanpole is the first to admit he's a long way from putting his hand up for senior consideration.

"I've struggled a bit early," the young ruckman told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"I'm getting a game in Williamstown firsts, which is a positive."

"But I'm lacking a bit of confidence and it's always going to take awhile to take that step up into senior footy.

"I'm working hard, I'm putting my head down and I'm getting to it and trying to work on all the deficiencies I've got, but I've got a lot of work to do just to keep my spot in Willy firsts."

The highly-touted No.14 draft pick from last season had a shoulder reconstruction last year and arrived at the club with a light 202cm/77kg frame.

He believes the combination of the injury with the fact he's suddenly playing against men that are often 20kg heavier have contributed to his lull in self-belief.

"I hadn't played for six months before this season, so I was always going to be a bit rusty, and with rustiness comes poor performances so I'll just have to be patient," he said.

"I'm not gloving the ball as well as I should. I'm attacking it but then I'm missing things at the crucial times and not quite timing my leads right.

"I've got to be patient and just keep working on what I'm doing. Hopefully it will soon fall into place for me and I'll start putting some games together.

"As of yet, I'm just steady. It's been good fun though and I'm enjoying life down at Williamstown."

Cordy is working with Bulldogs' development coach Chris Maple and Williamstown coach Brad Gotch to overcome his issues, as well as improve his leading and timing.

He has also put on eight kilos since his arrival, although admits he still feels like the "skinny kid" when among his heavier teammates.

Weight-gain aside, the best part about the level-headed youngster's situation is he knows exactly where he needs to improve before he can push for senior selection.

"It's mainly just on game day. I need to start jumping through the ball and getting back to putting my arms up above my head and going for it with a lot of confidence," he said.

"I'm not terrible but I know I have some stuff to work on.

"I'd like to play a senior game, even if it's late in the year.

"I've been told not to worry about it too much, and I haven't been. It doesn't matter what game of footy I play, as long as I go out there and give it my best shot, things will start falling into place."

On Easter Saturday, Cordy played in Williamstown's practice hit-out against the AIS-AFL Academy, from which he was a graduate last year.

He said while it felt strange to be on the "other side" to the emerging squad he was once part of, it gave him a chance to measure just how much he has matured in 12 months.

"It was a little bit weird. As I was running out onto the ground and lining up on my opponent, I noticed he was wearing the same number I wore last year at the AIS," he said.

"It was just another game of footy, but there was déjÃ* vu. It let me see how far I have come, which was good."

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Good article, guy will be a gun.

lemmon
25-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Good article, guy will be a gun.

Speaks well for a youngster doesnt he.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Just noticed that nearly every player taken before him in the draft, has debuted this season.

Only 3 other players haven't been able to get a game this season, for there respective clubs.

A bit of a nothing stat, i suppose :)

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
His body shape is like a beanpole.

Needs time to get his body right..during pre-season..debut him in Nab Cup 2010.

LostDog
11-08-2009, 01:24 PM
No different to NicNat or Vickory
We waste to much time with the Development word

I for one think that Watts is going to be a better footballer for the chance to play this year , he has something to prove now, has had the taste so to speak

Reiwolt was the same !!!!

LostDoggy
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
No different to NicNat or Vickory
We waste to much time with the Development word

Thats totally incorrect. Cordy is taller, younger and lighter then those 2. Most important is the difference in weight is 12kg on Vickery and 19kg on NicNat. No difference my backside.

G-Mo77
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Thats totally incorrect. Cordy is taller, younger and lighter then those 2. Most important is the difference in weight is 12kg on Vickery and 19kg on NicNat. No difference my backside.

Don't let facts get in the way of a "well thought out" rant Ernie. :D

gohardorgohome
11-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Be patient. He has not developed yet....He'd get killed if he played now. They run straight into him...jump straight into his back and tackle him head first into the ground.

He'd be lucky to get 4 games in 2010, about 12 games in 2011 and then be a regular in 2012, then be a good afl player in 2013.

Natanui has broad shoulders and thick legs....he'll be huge in a few yrs time......Ayce will be lucky to end up weighing as much as Cameron Wight who is now about 25 and only got this size a year or two back....

Wont play as a regular ruck for at least 5 years ...I think he'll be a forward...Tall Robert Murphy type....

I'm sure he'll be a much better player than Wight though

Remi Moses
11-08-2009, 04:05 PM
This is getting more and more like Big Footy on here :mad::mad:Ease up the kid could still f****** bathe in a test tube he's that skinny. Patience and perspective pleeeeeeease

mighty_west
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Be patient. He has not developed yet....He'd get killed if he played now. They run straight into him...jump straight into his back and tackle him head first into the ground.

He'd be lucky to get 4 games in 2010, about 12 games in 2011 and then be a regular in 2012, then be a good afl player in 2013.

Natanui has broad shoulders and thick legs....he'll be huge in a few yrs time......Ayce will be lucky to end up weighing as much as Cameron Wight who is now about 25 and only got this size a year or two back....

Wont play as a regular ruck for at least 5 years ...I think he'll be a forward...Tall Robert Murphy type....

I'm sure he'll be a much better player than Wight though

You'd expect Grant to take just as long, might be a regular by 2012, although i'd expect Roughead to come on alot quicker giving his size.

LostDoggy
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
What about Jones? How far would he be off?

Mofra
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
He's put on close to 10kgs this year hasn't he? 77kg to 87kg?

That's a fair bit of development in a year - perhaps more than any of us should have expected so I hope nobody is disappointed with him. Although he'd want another 10-15kgs before pushing for regular senior selection, a solid pre-season should see him promoted from flyweight to blowflyweight and put him in contention to debut.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
What about Jones? How far would he be off?
With so much APS footy, you would expect him to aim for Willy 1sts for the second half of the year. He has some raw skill which excites me very much, much like the Bou to Comrade. But next year will be his first year of solid footy against men. Don't expect too much, too soon.

Before I Die
06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
He's put on close to 10kgs this year hasn't he? 77kg to 87kg?

Was listed as 90kg on the Bulldogs site a few weeks ago, now back to 77kg ???

Is this sloppy editing, planned subterfuge or were earlier reports of gained weight exaggerated ?

I suspect it is the former, which I find disappointing as the official site should be a source of accurate information about the players and the club.

LostDoggy
06-04-2010, 08:05 PM
According to footywire, Ayce is still registered as 77kg & it's the same on the Herald Sun website.

Before I Die
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
According to footywire, Ayce is still registered as 77kg & it's the same on the Herald Sun website.

It is 90kg in the current edition of the Footy Record (ie Round 2 edition) and it was 90kg on the Western Bulldogs official site up until a week or so ago.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2010, 10:16 PM

You could see how much weight he'd put on last year by just looking at him.

From memory, someone on here spoke with him and he told them he'd put on about 14kg.

Dazza
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
With so much APS footy, you would expect him to aim for Willy 1sts for the second half of the year. He has some raw skill which excites me very much, much like the Bou to Comrade. But next year will be his first year of solid footy against men. Don't expect too much, too soon.

You don't think he'd get a gig at Willy 1sts for most of the year?

ken whiffen
07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Ayce was always going to take a little time....and especially so after missing virtually all of 2008 before he was drafted. Don't give up on him. He's going to be fine.

bornadog
07-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Ayce was always going to take a little time....and especially so after missing virtually all of 2008 before he was drafted. Don't give up on him. He's going to be fine.

Welcome aboard KW and no one has given up on him. Looking forward to his debut.

azabob
06-06-2014, 03:10 PM
So it appears Hawthorn also has their very own Ayce Cordy - Luke Lowden. Been on the list for six years and now is making his debut this round.

Twodogs
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
So it appears Hawthorn also has their very own Ayce Cordy - Luke Lowden. Been on the list for six years and now is making his debut this round.

More proof maybe that tall players tend to take more time to develop.

Remi Moses
06-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Unbelievable. It just shows the big kids do take time to develop.
Calls for Cordy to be given the Rasberry and Sarse won't be happening

azabob
06-06-2014, 03:42 PM
More proof maybe that tall players tend to take more time to develop.

There is a video segment with Ayce on the website (inside the pack) and he speaks confidently about his progress this year. Not sure if he really believes it, or is trying to sell it...

He has another season and a half to convince us all either way...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-05/cordy-gains-confidence-from-continuity

bulldogtragic
06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
I hope he proves me and many others wrong. I've been really hoping this for a while though, nothing would make me happier.

Ozza
08-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Heard from those at the game today, that Ayce was probably best on ground. Good to hear.

chef
08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Heard from those at the game today, that Ayce was probably best on ground. Good to hear.

Did he play as a ruck or forward or both?

SlimPickens
08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Did he play as a ruck or forward or both?

Played both. Mainly forward with some time in the ruck. It was the best game I've seen Ayce play. Would love to think he could do it at AFL level.

anfo27
08-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Played both. Mainly forward with some time in the ruck. It was the best game I've seen Ayce play. Would love to think he could do it at AFL level.

Does that performance change your opinion of him slim? Just about everyone has said he has no future at AFL level so it would be great if Ayce could prove us wrong.

ratsmac
08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Great to see Ayce playing well. He has had a rough start to his career with injuries and high expectations from everyone to deal with. It was good to see Lowden from Hawthorn debut with 3 goals with him being on their list for 6 years or something. It gives me hope for our Ayce that the horse may not have bolted just yet.

KT31
08-06-2014, 01:34 PM
From reports he has been good the last couple of weeks, he needs to come in this week to give Will a chop out.

F'scary
08-06-2014, 04:06 PM
From reports he has been good the last couple of weeks...

That's what they said about Howard.

Scorlibo
08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
17 possessions, 4 marks, 18 hitouts and 3.1

F'scary
08-06-2014, 08:51 PM
17 possessions, 4 marks, 18 hitouts and 3.1

Ok, ok. Play him and get it over with.

Ozza
10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Encouraging that a couple of Ayce's goals came from second efforts after competing in the air (remembering it was very wet at Frankston on the weekend).

I know we have been down this path many times before :eek: ! And I can't believe I'm suggesting it. But I'm keen to see him in the AFL side again soon. Either Campbell or Cordy should come in to the side. At 23 and 22 years of age respectively...I'd like to see both given opportunities throughout the second half of the year.

azabob
10-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Encouraging that a couple of Ayce's goals came from second efforts after competing in the air (remembering it was very wet at Frankston on the weekend).

I know we have been down this path many times before :eek: ! And I can't believe I'm suggesting it. But I'm keen to see him in the AFL side again soon. Either Campbell or Cordy should come in to the side. At 23 and 22 years of age respectively...I'd like to see both given opportunities throughout the second half of the year.

Should they be tried as the sole number one ruckman or as Key Forward / 2nd ruck?

Ozza
11-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I would say key forward/2nd ruck. Particularly Ayce.

Wouldn't mind seeing both come in for Minson for a stint. But Will probably has the runs on the board, despite being poor last week in a match he should have been dominant in.

Scraggers
11-06-2014, 05:12 PM
I wondered if we are using Ayce to get to Zaine, the same way Collingwood used the Cloke brothers (all three brothers were drafted to keep Travis).

Axe Man
11-06-2014, 05:37 PM
I wondered if we are using Ayce to get to Zaine, the same way Collingwood used the Cloke brothers (all three brothers were drafted to keep Travis).

Not quite the same. Travis could always have gone to Richmond under the father son rule had the family fallen out with Collingwood, Zaine doesn't qualify for another club. I also wouldn't have thought he is good enough to be knocking back an offer from us because we cut his brother, whereas Travis Cloke would have been a guaranteed high draft pick even without the father son rule.

Scraggers
11-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Not quite the same. Travis could always have gone to Richmond under the father son rule had the family fallen out with Collingwood, Zaine doesn't qualify for another club. I also wouldn't have thought he is good enough to be knocking back an offer from us because we cut his brother, whereas Travis Cloke would have been a guaranteed high draft pick even without the father son rule.

I disagree, I think Zaine would go first round draft pick this year if was not F/S with us.

Just a (conspiracy) theory ...

Scorlibo
11-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I disagree, I think Zaine would go first round draft pick this year if was not F/S with us.

Have you seen him play?

bulldogtragic
11-06-2014, 06:25 PM

I think the other potential Father/Sons have much more interest in conspiracy theories than Zaine. But Zaine is coming to us, i'm confident of that.

LostDoggy
11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Got to be kidding Scraggers. He'd have to have a 'MacRae-like' rest of the season to get into the first round, and us using our first round would mean that one of the likely two teams below us nominate him.

Scraggers
12-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Have you seen him play?

Only on video ... YouTube and AFL snippets. (But living in Perth, I've only seen Ayce's via video as well). Zaine is clean with the ball and can take a grab. His highlight video compared to Ayce's is a heck of a lot better.

Scraggers
12-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Got to be kidding Scraggers. He'd have to have a 'MacRae-like' rest of the season to get into the first round, and us using our first round would mean that one of the likely two teams below us nominate him.

It is just a conspiracy theory.

St.Kilda were all over Ayce's based on his U/18 games, making us use our next draft pick to take him. I think it will be the same this year for Zaine (maybe not St.Kilda).

Scorlibo
12-06-2014, 02:53 AM
It is just a conspiracy theory.

St.Kilda were all over Ayce's based on his U/18 games, making us use our next draft pick to take him. I think it will be the same this year for Zaine (maybe not St.Kilda).

Yes but 200cm forwards with good mobility are in high demand, whereas 191cm undersized key defenders are not.

Happy Days
12-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Alan McConnell at the AIS had Ayce going first (!), well ahead of Naitanui (!!)

bornadog
12-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Looking Good

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-06-11/vfl-ayce-snags-three

bulldogtragic
12-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes but 200cm forwards with good mobility are in high demand, whereas 191cm undersized key defenders are not.

To be fair, he is not anything like a key defender in the AFL or even VFL. But the theory that Zaine is essentially going top 20 involves a few clubs stumping up a pick that high for him. I agree that's not going to happen, but a top 40 pick, more realistic for sure.