Leaders:

Western Bulldogs: $4.50
GWS Giants: $4.50

bulldogtragic
21-10-2016, 12:36 AM
After the trade period:

1. GWS in from $4.50 to $4
2. Dogs out from $4.50 to $6

The punters thinking Deledio is that much of a difference? Some good value for Bark2Bark flags.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 01:11 AM
After the trade period:

The punters thinking Deledio is that much of a difference? Some good value for Bark2Bark flags.

Someone posted the best GWS side and it was an awesome line-up. They deserve their position.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2016, 01:20 AM
Someone posted the best GWS side and it was an awesome line-up. They deserve their position.

Yeah, I vaguely remember seeing that too. Thursday night before the Preliminary Final I think it was... :D

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 02:05 AM

Im still not sold on them. They have a touch of the track bullies about them for mine. Got themselves into a winning position in that final in the last quarter but melted away when we stepped it up a notch. If it had been the other way round it would have been "same old bulldogs, can't hack the pressure."

Danny the snakeman
21-10-2016, 04:02 AM
Don't care about the odds, just want the season to start, the wait is killing me.

BulldogBelle
21-10-2016, 08:09 AM
l like being the underdogs. Worked a treat this year!

LostDoggy
21-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Looking at the trade period, Hawthorn lost their B&F 1 and 2, Sydney lost a plank of their strength due to salary cap pessures (Mitchell from midfield), Adelaide failed to get their main man and generally did nothing and Geelong lost more than they gained for mine.

All feel like clubs that are struggng to retain their positions rather than clubs surging forwards.

Things can change quickly, but it does appear that GWS and us look clear 1 and 2 favourites at this stage. We should have quite the rivalry in coming years.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Looking at the trade period, Hawthorn lost their B&F 1 and 2, Sydney lost a plank of their strength due to salary cap pessures (Mitchell from midfield), Adelaide failed to get their main man and generally did nothing and Geelong lost more than they gained for mine.

All feel like clubs that are struggng to retain their positions rather than clubs surging forwards.

Things can change quickly, but it does appear that GWS and us look clear 1 and 2 favourites at this stage. We should have quite the rivalry in coming years.

It certainly appears that some of our rivals are resetting their lists mainly due to salary cap reasons but in the case of the Hawks I think this is due to a realisation that they had milked everything the could out of their ageing list. The Hawks are putting a lot of faith in getting JOM knee right and if that doesn't quite work for them they could struggle although a fit Roughead would make a lot of difference.

I'd rate the teams as GWS, WB and then Adelaide, Geelong and Swans as the teams to beat but WC could surprise.

comrade
21-10-2016, 08:39 AM
They won't win the flag but my bolter is St Kilda. Improved their midfield depth, have Carlisle coming in, plenty of natural development across the list and a playing style that gives us trouble.

They'll make the 8.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 08:43 AM
They won't win the flag but my bolter is St Kilda. Improved their midfield depth, have Carlisle coming in, plenty of natural development across the list and a playing style that gives us trouble.

They'll make the 8.

I agree. They've been close to the mark this year and going to get better next season with the additions you've mentioned. They've been methodical and patient since Richardson arrived.
Melbourne could be a significant improver as well because they have a great blend of mids and KPP.

westdog54
21-10-2016, 09:15 AM

They'll make the 8.

Should make the 8. If they finish outside the top 4 they're good enough on paper to win in week 1.

McCartin is only going to get better and Carlisle is instant improvement. He was a massive, massive loss for them this year.

Sedat
21-10-2016, 09:22 AM
After the trade period:

Maybe they have come in short because Palmer has been shipped out of the joint ;)

1eyedog
21-10-2016, 09:25 AM
St. Kilda need to learn to play outside of Etihad.

If we can make the Grand Final again we'll beat GWS. They are completely unproven in a final at the MCG, they're actually still shaky away from home. If we get two Melbourne finals we should be favourites.

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Should make the 8. If they finish outside the top 4 they're good enough on paper to win in week 1.

McCartin is only going to get better and Carlisle is instant improvement. He was a massive, massive loss for them this year.

Dunno about that. It's not the lay down misere that it should be be. I worry about his diabetes. I can only think of Dale Weightman as a player who overcame full on diabetes to have a good career as a footballer.

Topdog
21-10-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm not at all convinced about Adelaide. Think their gameplan could come unstuck quite easily and to be honest they have some average players that had big years due to a gameplan that teams weren't ready for.

Once a bit of pressure was applied guys like Jenkins absolutely fell apart and he is on big money now. They have lost midfield depth when they didnt have a lot and they still rely on Thompson in the middle which they shouldn't still be doing.

Saints will finish top 8. Pretty much all of the top 8 got weaker this off season and I include GWS in that, improved first 22 but lost depth.

comrade
21-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Dunno about that. It's not the lay down misere that it should be be. I worry about his diabetes. I can only think of Dale Weightman as a player who overcame full on diabetes to have a good career as a footballer.

His penchant for getting his head caved in is also a concern.

Bulldog4life
21-10-2016, 10:03 AM
As we proved during the prelim final against GWS a champion team beats a team of champions. Back to back for me.

Ozza
21-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Although I think St.Kilda have had a good trade period, and a lot of their younger players should improve, I still worry that they are still quite reliant on their much older players.

Next year Riewoldt will be 34, Fisher turning 35, Montagna & Dempster 33, Gilbert 31.

They will probably be quite a good team this season, but things can change pretty quickly with the older players, and they do have a bit gulf in leadership between the older players - and the rest.

Topdog
21-10-2016, 10:49 AM
As we proved during the prelim final against GWS a champion team beats a team of champions. Back to back for me.

Spot on mate and they are still largely unproven away from home. Only played 1 game at the G this year and that was a loss against Melbourne in round 1. Still think they may be flat track bullies a little bit.

KT31
21-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Spot on mate and they are still largely unproven away from home. Only played 1 game at the G this year and that was a loss against Melbourne in round 1. Still think they may be flat track bullies a little bit.

Where as proven in our final series with our game plan we are capable of winning games at any ground, we are the 'All Track Bullies'.

azabob
21-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Nathan Basset from the Crows also is another player.

1eyedog
21-10-2016, 12:55 PM

If McCartin gets knocked out again that's the end for him.

Axe Man
21-10-2016, 01:43 PM
https://s13.postimg.org/vndvkndjr/Capture.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ldbgleno3/)

Sedat
21-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Biggest problem for GWS is that they now have the same list size as everyone else so will be very susceptible to a run of injuries (which they avoided last year) as they now don't have the depth to cover them. Our incremental improvement from key players missing last year should off-set their improvement in gaining Deledio and off-loading list cloggers like Palmer.

They should be in it up to their eyeballs next season but they are miles from over the line.

Remi Moses
21-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Who really cares about the odds ?
Sounding like Norf fans crying on SEN about not being faves last season;)
I think our side and GWS are the two best sides in it

Remi Moses
21-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Biggest problem for GWS is that they now have the same list size as everyone else so will be very susceptible to a run of injuries (which they avoided last year) as they now don't have the depth to cover them. Our incremental improvement from key players missing last year should off-set their improvement in gaining Deledio and off-loading list cloggers like Palmer.

They should be in it up to their eyeballs next season but they are miles from over the line.

Agree sedat. They had a decent run at it this season, and it was interesting 12 months before that they fell apart with a few injuries .

strebla
21-10-2016, 04:25 PM

If I was the Saints I would make this boy wear a helmet he is a cracker but I do fear for his safety,

S Coast Simon
21-10-2016, 05:13 PM
If I was the Saints I would make this boy wear a helmet he is a cracker but I do fear for his safety,
I am amazed that more players don't wear helmets. His career could be over with another big head injury.

Mofra
21-10-2016, 05:21 PM
His penchant for getting his head caved in is also a concern.
Harry O missed most of the year with concussion concerns, McCartin had three last year.
Not good signs for the kid.

Axe Man
21-10-2016, 05:36 PM

I am amazed that more players don't wear helmets. His career could be over with another big head injury.

I'm fairly sure that doctors say that helmets in football do little to prevent concussion. I'm no medical expert but I guess it makes sense - the brain is still going to get bounced around in the skull from a heavy hit. A helmet might prevent you from getting a fractured skull I guess.

Webby
21-10-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm fairly sure that doctors say that helmets in football do little to prevent concussion. I'm no medical expert but I guess it makes sense - the brain is still going to get bounced around in the skull from a heavy hit. A helmet might prevent you from getting a fractured skull I guess.

They certainly don't do any harm, however!

I realise that compacted foam rubber has limitations and a forceful hit to the head is likely to impact in any case. However helmets can knock some of the edge off a blow. Particularly with the back of the head hitting the ground. If it takes even a single percent off an impact, surely it's worth it.

I wore a helmet in my younger days. It definitely helped to take the edge of surface impact. I stopped wearing it because it was so bloody hot and uncomfortable, and, if I'm honest, because none of the "cool kids" wore them...

I know in US football, they suffer numerous concussions despite wearing full motorcycle equivalent helmets. However this is in large part because the helmet's very existence has led to players throwing themselves into the play with greater abandon. That is due to the perceived protection from copping a split cheek or fractured skull. They even got to the stage where players were leading with the bloody things and using them as a virtual weapon (they've since brought in rule changes to combat this.)

However the brain is sitting inside the skull, suspended in fluid, so they have constant mild concussions as a result. Additionally, they hit harder and are bigger due to the game not being aerobic like Aussie Rules or rugby.

In rugby, helmets' or "head gear" are reasonably popular as they help to mitigate those horrible cauliflower ears and scratches to the head that they get.

In Aussie Rules, a full speed hip to the head or a Dipierdomenico elbow above the ear is likely to concus - helmet or no helmet. However the Ted Richards-type whiplash back of the head to the ground is certainly helped by the AFL helmet.

On that factor alone, I'd have McCartin in a helmet in a second! Every little bit helps!

Axe Man
21-10-2016, 07:17 PM
I understand your points, I was just pointing out that they don't provide the protection against concussion that most people would probably assume they do.

You have also raised the other argument against helmets - players can tend to put their head in more dangerous positions due to a possibly ill-conceived sense of protection. It's an interesting argument for junior sport in particular, with no established answer.

That said, if I was McCartin I would probably wear a helmet. I'm Caleb Daniel sized and have played footy for almost 30 years without a helmet or a concussion, so I've been lucky.

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Nathan Basset from the Crows also is another player.

I didn't know that. I just remembered Dirk Welham is a diabetic also but I may have made that one up. It sounds right,

azabob
21-10-2016, 09:39 PM
I didn't know that. I just remembered Dirk Welham is a diabetic also but I may have made that one up. It sounds right,

Oh, from memory you like Jack Fitzpatrick from the Hawks? Maybe not the best case study but "full on" diabetic also.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Being diabetic is like being pregnant - you either are, or you're not.

Type 1 diabetic is the insulin dependant type that is usually diagnosed when you're very young.
Type 2 is usually caused by lifestyle (weight/diet) and is non-insulin dependant and highly unlikely to occur in a professional sportsperson.

I think by 'full on' diabetic - ppl are referring to 'Type 1'.