PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Wight

Dogs 24/7
28-12-2007, 05:13 PM
From all accounts he has added some weight and muscle while still remaining very mobile.
2008 will be a big season for him so do you see him holding a spot in the senior side or is he just destined to be a handy back up player?
Id like to played as a forward pocket or even as the centre half forward during the pre season games.
He appears to be one of those fringe players and I dont know why but I just want to see him succeed.

wb_age
28-12-2007, 06:47 PM
He has definitely put on some size, i saw him at Highpoint and was notably bigger.

LostDoggy
28-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Eade mentioned him as a possibility to line up at chf along with others on a radio interview about a month or so back.

LostDoggy
28-12-2007, 07:06 PM
He think Cameron will develop into a good player. I watched him train a few years back, the way he moved with confidence and class was very impressive. Its only a matter of time before he takes that onto the footy field. Maybe some extra bulk will help.

hujsh
28-12-2007, 07:36 PM
He has definitely put on some size, i saw him at Highpoint and was notably bigger.

He was at a clinic for my school and he was the skinniest footballer i had ever seen. So i would hope he has gained some weight

The Bulldogs Bite
28-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Wight's added muscle, his upper body is actually in good shape now. But still, he's got skinny legs. If you're going to be a KPP then you need far bigger hamstrings because that's where the strength comes from. Until he can find a way to rectify this, he's unlikely to hold down any KP.

Just to note; his turning circle needs drastic improvement too. He's mobile but when he has to twist and turn, he can look incredibly slow. He takes a huge arc when he's made change direction.

I don't think he's useless, but he's behind a number of other players atm. Body strength has always been his main problem; it's pleasing to hear he's got bigger, but his legs are still the same. Players like McDougall already have the body, it's just a matter of educating them, so Wight will probably find it tough to cement a position in our side IMO.

Harbrow_hero
28-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Allover? he has very skinny legs.

hujsh
28-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Wight's added muscle, his upper body is actually in good shape now. But still, he's got skinny legs.

So he'll be stronger if he needs to punch someone but when he needs to hold his ground he will still be weak

Bulldog Revolution
30-12-2007, 12:05 AM
So he'll be stronger if he needs to punch someone but when he needs to hold his ground he will still be weak

Size is not always an indicator of strength - I just dont think Cam Wight will ever have big legs, but he can still have strong ones.

I've liked the look of Cam Wight since seeing him train as a recruit, he just seemed to be light on his feet and looked a fine kick. If you add to that he has a big engine and is a reasonable spoiler he seems to be a good prospect.

Physically the main area he needs to address is his leg strength. Skillwise its his hands - he just has to be cleaner AND gamewise its probably his body on body work. Do others agree?

GVGjr
30-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Physically the main area he needs to address is his leg strength. Skillwise its his hands - he just has to be cleaner AND gamewise its probably his body on body work. Do others agree?

I'm not too concerned about his weight and size now. He will either get there or he won't but his size shouldn't matter now. Decision making and skills are his main areas that he to improve on.

Bulldog Revolution
30-12-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm not too concerned about his weight and size now. He will either get there or he won't but his size shouldn't matter now. Decision making and skills are his main areas that he to improve on.

I agree with the decision making comment. I think hes got reasonable skills by foot, but perhaps his hands are not as clean as they could be with the footy, but for me its probably more decision making that holds him back.

Mofra
30-12-2007, 09:09 AM
His decision making isn't always helped by being thrown around the paddock.
I have no idea where they will play him next year, considering he's played FB & CHB at Werribee, rucked at AFL level, played on a flank, has been mentioned as a "tall winger", tried forward & recently mentioned as a fill in CHF.

John Holmes had less positions in his career...

The Underdog
30-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I have no idea where they will play him next year, considering he's played FB & CHB at Werribee, rucked at AFL level, played on a flank, has been mentioned as a "tall winger", tried forward & recently mentioned as a fill in CHF.

John Holmes, was he that full forward in the helmet who played for the Bears ?(double entendre unintentional) Or was he John Hutton?

One thing we saw from Wight in the last game is that he isn't a ruckman's big toe. No idea how to play the position and at least 5th on the depth chart for the ruck.
I like the idea of him at CHB. I think he spoils well and runs well. I'm still not convinced about his decision making either and don't think he's a strong enough mark to play CHF.

Mofra
30-12-2007, 01:41 PM
John Holmes, was he that full forward in the helmet who played for the Bears ?(double entendre unintentional) Or was he John Hutton?

I was talking about John Holmes the (ahem) "adult entertainer"

I like the idea of him at CHB.
He has done ok in the past (and especially at VFL level) however Franklin mauled him for a quarter at the start of the year and is sapped his confidence. As others have said, he is quite quick for his height however for CHB both Williams & McDougall have overtaken him.
Other competition is Everitt playing the tall HBF role, with Hargrave able to do it as well.

Sockeye Salmon
31-12-2007, 11:13 AM

I don't agree at all.

Wight has almost exclusively been used as a tall defender whether he's been at Werribee or in the AFL side.

He's played one quarter at CHF (v WCE) and had an occassional run in the ruck.

How can 'being mentioned as a tall winger' possibly count?

LostDoggy
02-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Watching Cam Wight last year - he seemed to be able to get himself in the right positions, but not quite able to hang onto his marks. If he can get his hands cleaner, then he will be a very, very useful asset for us. 200cm and very mobile!

GVGjr
02-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Watching Cam Wight last year - he seemed to be able to get himself in the right positions, but not quite able to hang onto his marks. If he can get his hands cleaner, then he will be a very, very useful asset for us. 200cm and very mobile!

I'd like to see him make it and yes he needs to improve his marking as well.

Dogs 24/7
05-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Just to note; his turning circle needs drastic improvement too. He's mobile but when he has to twist and turn, he can look incredibly slow. He takes a huge arc when he's made change direction.

I tend to agree but I wonder if that is something that can be rectified ?

LostDoggy
05-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I think hes going to find it hard next year, especially if Doog's cements a spot in the backline. I would like to see him succeed in the ruck, but thats only because we have a lack of them.

How do you rate his rucking?

southerncross
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I think hes going to find it hard next year, especially if Doog's cements a spot in the backline. I would like to see him succeed in the ruck, but thats only because we have a lack of them.

How do you rate his rucking?

You might be onto something there with it potentially being a shootout between Wight and McDougall.

For what its worth I don't really rate Wights rucking that much. He might be OK as a ruckman if he is played as a forward and just contests in the forward 50mtrs.

Sockeye Salmon
06-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Wight's rucking is abysmal.

They are going to try him at CHF at Willi to start with.

LostDoggy
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
how has mcdougall overtaken wights spot at chb when mcdougall has played 2 games in defence at afl level?

hujsh
08-01-2008, 02:09 AM
how has mcdougall overtaken wights spot at chb when mcdougall has played 2 games in defence at afl level?

McDougall played better. He is stronger and got more possessions. Wight could be better in the future but not at the moment