Retiring?

He is not sure will make a decision in next few weeks

bulldogtragic
05-10-2016, 11:04 PM
He is not sure will make a decision in next few weeks

So he's been delisted?

Throughandthrough
05-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Congrats Big fella. 14 years at the club. Mammoth effort.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2016, 11:07 PM
191 games - 28th highest games played for the club
81 goals - 69th highest goal kicker for the club

LostDoggy
05-10-2016, 11:11 PM
Yeah Will, great natured bloke, great footballer, built like the proverbial outhouse, smart and having a great social side.

EasternWest
05-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Got nothing bad to say about Will. Tried his guts out every time he played for us. Had a lot of limitations but effort wasn't one of them.

lemmon
06-10-2016, 12:23 AM
He's one who's been a bit forgotten about this week. Well done big man. One of those guys who carried a big load during the hard times and is unfortunate that times are a changing in the ruck game.

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 12:42 AM
I loved Big Will, always took the time to say hello.

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 01:20 AM
How amazing has Wills attitude been this season. Could have easily just coasted through not giving a stuff for Footscray.

Incredible man. Well done big guy.

cinder
06-10-2016, 01:24 AM
I was ready watching the video compilation they showed, then when he spoke. Great guy & I've been disappointed for him as to how the last few seasons have turned out for him. I wish him best of luck.

Bulldog Joe
06-10-2016, 01:55 AM
The tribute to Will at the B&F was special.

Well deserved and the audience lapped it up. Will spoke beautifully and received a standing ovation.

I took an opportunity to personally thank Will for his contribution to the club.

He said that he is not aware yet of any offers, but he is ready for his future life. He gets married in a few weeks.

strebla
06-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Nothing but best wishes from me really was a player who left nothing in the shed. Some would say he had a touch of white line fever but I think he was all heart and soul. Good luck for the future and many thanks for the memories.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
For such a long time servant of the club, Its a shame he was not able to maintain his AA form of 2 years ago and share first hand in the ultimate success we achieved this year.
I wish Will nothing but the best in his life. He's an intriguing character who has had a very good career.

Mofra
06-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Great guy Will, served us very well

craigsahibee
06-10-2016, 11:52 AM
I'll never forget Will's first contribution as a Western Bulldog. Ran off the bench at Princes Park into a centre square ruck duel and proceeded to put Barnaby French in hospital with possibly a punctured lung. Gave everything every time he set foot on the ground.

Never forget his clutch goal to tie the scores against the Tigers at Etihad when Brian's dodgy hammy flared up.

Thanks Will. You're a star.

Ozza
06-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Very emotional tribute to Will last night. Huge contributor to the club.

Topdog
06-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Never forget that goal against Richmond and the throwing fist pump celebration. Thanks and good luck Will

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Never forget that goal against Richmond and the throwing fist pump celebration. Thanks and good luck Will

That my memory, when Lake faked an injury and Will kicked it securing us a draw from nowhere. It was great to be in the crowd that day, it was like Will won the game for us.

chef
06-10-2016, 12:29 PM
That my memory, when Lake faked an injury and Will kicked it securing us a draw from nowhere. It was great to be in the crowd that day, it was like Will won the game for us.

And Nafan celebrated like they had won and Hargrave laughed at him.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Good times!! :D

SlimPickens
06-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Terrific fella who really appreciated all the bulldog people and staff. A true gentlemen off the field, who gave his all on it. Going to miss shouting "UP BIG WILL"!!

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Mighty Will, titan and gentleman, subject of the love of my daughter (and me). Thank you Will, you are up there with John Schultz as a ruckman of great fairness, strength and courage for the Bulldogs. You are blessed with physical characteristics that are larger than life but your character was the real giant.

Topdog
06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Been looking for a video of that goal but cant find it

bornadog
06-10-2016, 02:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7C4Tl33xDI

Rocket Science
06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
In light of new speculation about his future, I heard Cooney earlier today mention that Minson weighed up an opportunity to go elsewhere a couple of years back, but eventually declined it.

A clubman to the core.

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm a big Willy man.

Some of us SA boys referred to him as Optimus when he first came in.

I thought he copped a raw deal from Rocket.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2016, 02:59 PM
There was a form for writing a personal message to one of our players on the WB website. Mine went to Will. What a champ over a long period.

Remi Moses
06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Been a real warrior for the club .
Gave his heart and soul , and wish nothing but the best for Will

G-Mo77
06-10-2016, 06:59 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Wil and sad that he's finishing up with us. Selfishly I'd like him to retire as I don't want to see him in opposition colours. I would be happy for him if he chose to play on and found a new home. Good luck which ever road you take big fella and thanks for your many years of service.

westbulldog
06-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Best of luck for the future Will. You have been an outstanding Bulldog, go well.

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 10:16 PM
You gave your all Big Fella for this great club.
So much Heart,Determination and Spirit.
All the best for the future.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Go Well Big Willy

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Always gave his best efforts and always ready to have a chat with supporters. You will be missed by many Will.

merantau
07-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Will Minson = total class. Thanks Will, you gave 100% every time you put the jumper on. You played some terrific footy for us and you will always be remembered and loved by Bulldog supporters. Thank you Big Will. Best wishes for the future and congrats on your up-coming wedding.

KT31
07-10-2016, 10:24 AM
All the best Big Will your heart is as big as his stature, loved it when he smashed the pack or laid the big tackle.

josie
07-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Best wishes Big Will including for upcoming wedding. Your heart and efforts for the club are matched by your stature. Based upon speeches on Charles Sutton night you are also well respected and loved by your peers as well as a great mentor. Gonna miss ya big fella.

choconmientay
07-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks Will for all the good times with us.
He's a good character.

... takes a bow to thank fans during the VFL Grand Final match between Footscray Bulldogs and Casey Scorpions
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Will+Minson+Yvxg1kBo6cNm.jpg

Good luck for the future.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2016%20-%20Galleries/VFL%20Grand%20Final/473806-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Graceful exit

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-10-05/murphys-tribute-to-will-minson#ooid=hka3M5NjE6-bGUigx5ke3E85jcz9yI6F

azabob
07-10-2016, 10:15 PM
On Saturday as the game ended Will came down aslie 35 /36 at the Ponsford end and jumped the fence to get on the ground. Of course everyone cheered Will and he turned around gave a thumbs up, a slight wave and then he was offf.

Great career and certainly got the most out of himself.

AndrewP6
07-10-2016, 10:21 PM
That video on the club's site... brilliant.

The very best to you, big Minno. Loved your work in Dogs colours.

SonofScray
09-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Surpassed Super for games played in number 27.

Will has been a great clubman across his career and for patches an elite contributor, never giving below his best and always doing what the Club needed from him. I will always love Will for his aggressive and physical style of footy, he wasn't dirty but was prepared to put everything on line, his reputation included, to get the job done. The Pearce and Cornes sledges were brilliant, viscious barbs that served their purpose and we didn't look after him very well in the backlash. Despite being hung out to dry he just kept giving his best and showing our jumper the utmost respect.

Eastdog
09-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks Will. He has been a very good servant for our club. I wish him well for his future endeavours.

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Wil Minson was one of the reasons I was happy we won the VFL premiership. If anyone deserved to go out with a flag it was Wil. His play was one of the reasons we won it.He was one of the driving forces in the team when he just could have ran around at half pace avoiding the bumps that hurt but Wil threw himself into his game and never shirked an issue. He was always available in the best possible condition despite playing at Footscray.

Thanks Wil.

Eastdog
09-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Wil Minson was one of the reasons I was happy we won the VFL premiership. If anyone deserved to go out with a flag it was Wil. His play was one of the reasons we won it.He was one of the driving forces in the team when he just could have ran around at half pace avoiding the bumps that hurt but Wil threw himself into his game and never shirked an issue. He was always available in the best possible condition despite playing at Footscray.

Thanks Wil.

He was very good in the VFL Grand Final for sure. He has had some tough times competing with Ben Hudson for a number of years but then when Huddo left he really stepped up.

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
He was very good in the VFL Grand Final for sure. He has had some tough times competing with Ben Hudson for a number of years but then when Huddo left he really stepped up.

It's often the way with Ruckmen they really relish the number one role. They can eke away at a club for years until the star leaves or is injured or retires or explodes or something and when they become othe number one ruckman they improve. We had Ian Hampshire for years until Gary Dempsey left for North and Hampshire gets the main job and all of a sudden he's a star.

Eastdog
09-10-2016, 05:44 PM
It's often the way with Ruckmen they really relish the number one role. They can eke away at a club for years until the star leaves or is injured or retires or explodes or something and when they become othe number one ruckman they improve. We had Ian Hampshire for years until Gary Dempsey left for North and Hampshire gets the main job and all of a sudden he's a star.

Mino certainly relished the role when he became the number one ruck man after Ben left who served us very well. We have Roughead and Campbell battling it out for the number one spot now and T Boyd certainly can ruck and do more than play full forward. How do you see the ruck position playing out in 2017?

Daughter of the West
10-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I think the thread title says it all. I teared up at the video from the B&F.

All the best in your future endeavors big Wil (selfishly, I hope it's not in another club's colours)!

1eyedog
10-10-2016, 03:47 PM

Well maybe not a star but certainly a more sought after footy card.

LostDoggy
11-10-2016, 05:50 AM
No doubt Will has been a great Bulldog. Always gave every ounce on the field and did a stack of promotional and community work for the club - tremendous clubman. 14 years worth of service and 191 games is a great record.

I'm a little surprised at how often his name is getting mentioned in trade rumours. If he feels he has something left to offer at AFL level and we can get a little swap of picks upgrade, I hope someone else does give him another shot. He deserves to go out on his terms. Either way, best wishes to him.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2016, 10:33 AM

Most Ruckmen do an important job without having the superstar status of a forward. Very few make it to AA level but Will can claim that honour. I think he still has a few years left in him and can make a difference to a younger club, like Crossy.
When Roughy or Tom would get injured, Will would come back into the side and kill it. Nothing like a Wilbur goal celebration either. All the best mate.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2016, 09:37 PM
One of my fondest Minson memories is the 2006 Elimination final against the pies

It was a fine day out for us as Bulldogs and my fading memory is that Minson played well

Perhaps I'd better brush up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-YtENsPpk

bulldogtragic
12-10-2016, 09:44 PM
No doubt Will has been a great Bulldog. Always gave every ounce on the field and did a stack of promotional and community work for the club - tremendous clubman. 14 years worth of service and 191 games is a great record.

I'm a little surprised at how often his name is getting mentioned in trade rumours. If he feels he has something left to offer at AFL level and we can get a little swap of picks upgrade, I hope someone else does give him another shot. He deserves to go out on his terms. Either way, best wishes to him.

With WCE dredging the barrel of rucks, Lobbe, Vardy (always injured) & Petrie, I think it says a bit about even Desperados not wanting his style of ruck. He's an unrestricted free agent too, so he costs nothing. I dare say he won't be playing AFL in 2017.

Templeton31
12-10-2016, 10:02 PM
With WCE dredging the barrel of rucks, Lobbe, Vardy (always injured) & Petrie, I think it says a bit about even Desperados not wanting his style of ruck. He's an unrestricted free agent too, so he costs nothing. I dare say he won't be playing AFL in 2017.

Yes I tend to agree with this. If WC considering all those and still no mention of Will.... Has been a great Bulldog and great clubman. As others mentioned played his heart out at Footscray all year. Also no mention of disquiet or disgruntled. Thanks Will - seems like only yesterday we were saying who the hell is this man mountain they've plucked from Adelaide for Pick 20 or so.

Go Well Will.

Throughandthrough
12-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Will Minson = total class

Is it too early to remind punters that big Wil hasn't always been "total class"?

I may have just shot Bambi.

Definitely gave 100% to the Dogs.

EasternWest
13-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Is it too early to remind punters that big Wil hasn't always been "total class"?

I may have just shot Bambi.

Definitely gave 100% to the Dogs.

I honestly think hos sledging is a storm in a teacup. As if that, and worse doesn't go on every game. I instantly discredit any wah wah I hear from Kane Cornes. I like him, but he always gave as good as he got. Let's not pretend he was a paragon of virtue.

As a player to his club and supporters Will has always been exemplary.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Well, WCE finally got around to having a chat with him. He may have a lifeline if the cards fall his way.

EasternWest
16-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Well, WCE finally got around to having a chat with him. He may have a lifeline if the cards fall his way.

Hope so for his sake.

Bulldog4life
06-11-2016, 05:26 PM
A great loss on and off the field Big Will. I wonder who will take over The Will Minson’s Big Man’s Eating Club now?

comrade
06-11-2016, 05:34 PM
A great loss on and off the field Big Will. I wonder who will take over The Will Minson’s Big Man’s Eating Club now?

I vote for Caleb Daniel.

Twodogs
07-11-2016, 01:20 AM
I vote for Caleb Daniel.

Yep, Caleb has my vote too. I'm not entirely sure what this club is and pretty sure that I don't get a vote on any issue that impacts on it in any way but Caleb Daniel should be in charge.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2016, 11:14 AM
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/afl/news/2016/11/rookie-draft-prospect-officially-retires/

Triple M's Jay Clark has reported that former Western Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson has officially retired on the eve of the Rookie Draft.

Minson was considered a likely chance to be collected by Collingwood in a mentor role.

He finishes his career having played 191 games and as a 2013 All-Australian.

Follow
Jay Clark ✔ @ClarkyHeraldSun
Will Minson has retired. Won't continue on as rookie at Collingwood. Ready to go travelling and do other things.
3:36 PM - 28 Nov 2016

bornadog
29-11-2016, 06:44 PM
He finishes his career having played 191 games and as a 2013 All-Australian.

And a dedicated one club player that took it on the chin when his days were numbered.

Good Luck Will.

Twodogs
29-11-2016, 07:03 PM
And a dedicated one club player that took it on the chin when his days were numbered.

Good Luck Will.

A class act. He must have known last year was his last but did he cruise through it? No way he put his head down and his arse up and drove Footscray to a VFL premiership.

It would have been simple for him to meander through the year and hold his hand out for his pay.

Rocco Jones
29-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Will clearly didn't fit into Bevo's ruck plans but the way he dealt with playing in the VFL for two years was brilliant.

At times he was forced to spend most of his time forward to allow others development time in the ruck and he worked his guts out. He was protective of the younger kids, what an amazing security guard he was. The way he stood up for Jong in the VFL GF was evidence of this.

All class Will.

westdog54
30-11-2016, 09:27 AM
My kids got to meet Will and have photos with him at the Moorabool Literacy Trail this year. He's attended the last few years and been very generous with his time.

'Big Will' instantly became their favourite player. They were devastated when I told them he wouldn't be playing for the Bulldogs anymore.

I had trouble explaining to them the concept of why there was a Footscray Team as well as the Western Bulldogs. Initially I told them that it was for the players who weren't quite ready to play for the Bulldogs, and had to do some more learning.

I had to qualify that a bit with Will. I told them that he was getting a bit old to play for the Bulldogs, but he was helping the young players learn to play so that they could play for the Bulldogs one day too. They seemed to accept that.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Towards the end of a preseason training session, Will ran around a witches hat to my clapping and turned his face to give me a puffed, labouring yet bemused acknowledgement before soldiering on. Big news for no-body but me. I felt like I could see into his considerable soul.

AndrewP6
01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Went to a game back in that 08-10 run we had. Will wasn't playing. I got in the lift, and there he was, suited up, acting very much like a lift attendant! Had a brief chat, and asked him when he'd be back in action, he diplomatically replied "When the coach says so".

Bulldog Revolution
01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks to Wil - worked hard, got the best out of himself and was a good team man

Was a beast in his All-Aus year - set the tone in the centre bounces

Twodogs
01-12-2016, 01:24 PM
My kids got to meet Will and have photos with him at the Moorabool Literacy Trail this year. He's attended the last few years and been very generous with his time.

'Big Will' instantly became their favourite player. They were devastated when I told them he wouldn't be playing for the Bulldogs anymore.

I had trouble explaining to them the concept of why there was a Footscray Team as well as the Western Bulldogs. Initially I told them that it was for the players who weren't quite ready to play for the Bulldogs, and had to do some more learning.

I had to qualify that a bit with Will. I told them that he was getting a bit old to play for the Bulldogs, but he was helping the young players learn to play so that they could play for the Bulldogs one day too. They seemed to accept that.

It's kind of like Kinder I guess, or cubs.

At the start of the preseason 2014-15 the players were having a kick and the ball went over the fence and onto the terraces at the Geelong road end. Anyway will goes to get it and instead of climbing over the fence (safely) like a normal person would he did a handstand from the grass and vaulted over the fence and landed on his feet on the gravel of the terrace while we clapped like lunatics.

It was an impressive if fairly reckless feat.

1eyedog
01-12-2016, 01:40 PM
I spoke to Will during finals training this year. Characteristically said he won't be at the club next year because the money they're paying Boydy and the Bont means they can't afford him anymore.

Twodogs
01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
I spoke to Will during finals training this year. Characteristically said he won't be at the club next year because the money they're paying Boydy and the Bont means they can't afford him anymore.

Don't tell Damien Barrett.

KT31
02-12-2016, 06:26 PM

I think he was having a lend of you.

KT31
02-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Highlight package of the big fella from from Als Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XAKt9JuUCE

comrade
02-12-2016, 07:47 PM
It was nice being able to send him off in style during the VFL GF presentations. His bow to the crowd was very well received.

His farewell video at the B&F choked me up a tad, too. We had a good one with big Will.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2016, 08:23 PM
A very intelligent guy with high intellect, a great education, elite sports and AFLPA experience and money behind him. I think he's got a very promising future for himself and family after he enjoys the freedom of retirement. He's worked hard for it, put up with a fair bit a long the way and always protected his teammates and especially the last two years held himself with a quiet dignity that many in the same boat don't display. A nearly 200 game, one club, player who reached All Australian status is a wonderful achievement. Whilst we will all have different memories, my favourite memory was his long range goal to draw against Richmond after Lake faked an injury to go off. More recently, in our clincher against Sydney in Sydney he kicked another vital long range goal after a 50m penalty. A goal crucial to us beating Sydney in Sydney. Who knows, maybe that win gave us that extra bit of confidence heading into the Grand Final and in his own way contributed to this marvellous premiership. The greatest accolade is on my nans wall she at the top has a photo of EJ. Under that, a signed Hawk photo. On the fridge, a photo with her and Wilbur. That's rare company Wilbur, and you've earned it.

EasternWest
04-12-2016, 02:34 PM

That's champagne stuff from the big guy.

bornadog
04-12-2016, 07:21 PM
AL's highlights has a new video dedicated to Will. I can't post it at the moment as I am on mobile.

choconmientay
04-12-2016, 07:37 PM
AL's highlights has a new video dedicated to Will. I can't post it at the moment as I am on mobile.
Is this one BAD?

https://youtu.be/1XAKt9JuUCE

bornadog
04-12-2016, 08:57 PM
Cheers Choco. Great highlights package, loved watching that. Will was a tough competitor.

KT31
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Highlight package of the big fella from from Als Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XAKt9JuUCE

Is it this one BAD ?;)

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 11:56 AM
That's champagne stuff from the big guy.

He was always like that. full of one liners. My 8 year old son asked him if Bont was training inside and Will said he'll be in there if you saw a brand new Mercedes in the car park.

bornadog
06-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Is it this one BAD ?;)

Thanks mate, just got back from Overseas, so didn't see your post, either did ChocoMT ;)

merantau
06-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Just looked at Al's Will Minson highlight package. He played some damn good games for us. Will always be remembered fondly and held in the highest esteem for the way he put the Club first.

jeemak
08-02-2017, 03:36 PM
I am doing a spot of skiing in Aspen (I can't afford Aspen mind, just happened to have a friend who needed to offload a package deal they won cheaply) and thought I might be in line to do a bit of celebrity spotting, because, that's just the type of guy I am.

Yesterday I saw (well at least I thought I did) Billy Bob Thornton walking his dog, though when I searched "Billy Bob Thornton Aspen" later in the evening online the first article I perused informed me there's a Billy Bob Thornton dead ringer who is an Aspen local, apparently he sounds like him too.

Anyway, on my second trip to the local grocery store within an hour I happened to bump into Big Will. If we were in Melbourne or anywhere in Australia for that matter it would be unlikely for me to approach him. Considering we were abroad however, I thought I'd say hi.

As others have reported over time, he was a good guy to talk to. I thanked him for and congratulated him on his career with us, we talked a little skiing shop (he boards, I won't hold it against him), he's here on his honeymoon so I congratulated him for that as well and gave him my best wishes. A few minutes later he bumped into me again and assisted me in a fruitless search for vegetable stock. I appreciated the effort, though still had to ask for store assistance to locate it (it was hidden with the soups if you're interested).

So, even if I don't end up spotting someone Hollywood in Aspen I still managed to spot a Bulldogs legend. Good on you Will.

bornadog
08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
So, even if I don't end up spotting someone Hollywood in Aspen I still managed to spot a Bulldogs legend. Good on you Will.

The world is a small place that is for sure. I would prefer to bump into a Bulldog legend than a Hollywood one anytime. ;)