PDA

View Full Version : Murph has given Bevo's medal back ... Did it Sunday morning

bornadog
05-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Bob gave Bevo his medal back on Sunday morning. He thanked him but said he couldn't keep it. It's going to live in the club museum

from AFL.com.au

PREMIERSHIP coach Luke Beveridge has revealed that Western Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy returned the Jock McHale Medal to him on Sunday morning.

The Bulldogs coach won universal praise for his incredible gesture on Grand Final day when he called the injured Murphy to the premiership dais following the Bulldogs' historic win and handed him the medal, saying: "This is yours mate, you deserve it more than anyone."

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said on Monday that the club would request the AFL strike another medal to present to Beveridge.

But Beveridge revealed during his speech at the Bulldogs' best and fairest awards on Wednesday night that Murphy had already returned the medal.

"I put him in a difficult situation, but he had to have recognition," Beveridge said.

"He returned the Jock McHale Medal. He gave it back to me on Sunday morning. He said he couldn't keep it. But he thanked me for the gesture.

"The medal will go in the Western Bulldogs museum as a symbol of the camaraderie and respect that Bob has fostered over the course of his career at the Western Bulldogs."

Beveridge once again paid tribute to Murphy for his leadership role throughout the season while working through his rehabilitation from his season-ending knee injury.

Beveridge received a standing ovation from the 1500-strong crowd and exited the stage to "Bevo" chants.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Bob gave Bevo his medal back on Sunday morning. He thanked him but said he couldn't keep it. It's going to live in the club museum

A beautiful part of club history immortalised at the museum. I love that all round.

bornadog
05-10-2016, 11:56 PM
A beautiful part of club history immortalised at the museum. I love that all round.

Right thing to do.

Twodogs
06-10-2016, 12:10 AM
We are going to have to make the museum bigger.

Is the premiership cup going to go in there I wonder?

cinder
06-10-2016, 01:28 AM
I was just looking at the AFL, VFL & Womens' Cup on stage tonight, & we must have come close to doubling our current silverware? lol. Made me emotional thinking about it but anything makes me emotional (Bulldog related) currently

azabob
06-10-2016, 10:33 PM
We are going to have to make the museum bigger.

Is the premiership cup going to go in there I wonder?

Of course it is, where else would it go?

always right
07-10-2016, 01:31 AM
I'm pleased. Reckon the club requesting Bevo receive a replacement medal was rediculous......would have taken away all the meaning of Bevo's gesture.

Twodogs
07-10-2016, 01:34 AM
Of course it is, where else would it go?

It'd look good in my pool room.

Webby
07-10-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm pleased. Reckon the club requesting Bevo receive a replacement medal was rediculous......would have taken away all the meaning of Bevo's gesture.

I agree. I cringed when I heard that the club had called for an extra. Seemed a touch entitled to me. A step too far.