PDA

View Full Version : Travis Cloke - What role will he play in our team?

Eastdog
20-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the Kennel Travis.

What role do we see him playing in our side?

Will he play somewhere else other than the forward line which currently is decently stocked or will we try and incorporate him somewhere in the forward line?

AndrewP6
20-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Saviour.

Before the Forum explodes, that was a joke. I think he'll play forward. Having lots of options up there is a good thing.

Remi Moses
20-10-2016, 02:31 PM
I've got a feeling Bevo will get more out of him than Buckley did .
Remember the old man having a great last season after being discarded by Collingwood .
Crameri and Cloke in means we can play Zaine in the back half

Axe Man
20-10-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say key position forward?

Seriously I would like to see him play mostly as a lead up centre half forward, using his engine to roam far and wide to help provide a target as we come out of defence.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say key position forward?

Seriously I would like to see him play mostly as a lead up centre half forward, using his engine to roam far and wide to help provide a target as we come out of defence.

Yep. His aerobic capacity his huge, as his size. A Matthew Richardson (end of career), Nick Riewoldt (this year) large body covering the entire ground who can also get back for 1 to 2 goals a games.

Ozza
20-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Yep. His aerobic capacity his huge, as his size. A Matthew Richardson (end of career), Nick Riewoldt (this year) large body covering the entire ground who can also get back for 1 to 2 goals a games.

If Cloke was capable of this - he wouldn't have been let go for pick 76.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 02:47 PM

Did Buckley ever try this?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-10-2016, 03:07 PM
It cost us nothing pick wise.. so it's not going to hurt us from that perspective.. But I really don't see how he improves us.. Hope he doesn't crack the sads when he spends time with Footscray at times over the journey.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2016, 03:33 PM
It cost us nothing pick wise.. so it's not going to hurt us from that perspective.. But I really don't see how he improves us.. Hope he doesn't crack the sads when he spends time with Footscray at times over the journey.

Bevo must think so. That is good enough for me.

dukedog
20-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Cordy to go back in hamlings spot. Cloke at chf. Buckley is a sh1t coach. Cloke will take the best defender. Crameri, stringer and boyd left to run amok. Cloke didnt have any help from his team mates.

bornadog
20-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Cordy to go back in hamlings spot. Cloke at chf. Buckley is a sh1t coach. Cloke will take the best defender. Crameri, stringer and boyd left to run amok. Cloke didnt have any help from his team mates.

At Collingwood he was expected to kick 5 to 6 per week or he was a failure, so pressure was on.

Bevo will have a different role for him and if he kicks a couple we will be happy and no pressure from fans, media and coach in the same manner as Buckley.

craigsahibee
20-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Bevo must think so. That is good enough for me.

Yep. I'll put my trust in the guys that made the right decisions that won us a Grand Final. Good enough for me.

Mofra
20-10-2016, 03:54 PM
That's where he played his best football and he says he's been at the same weight for 5 years (102 kgs).

High forward one side, Crameri high forward the other, we don't have to hesitate when bringing the ball out of defence, our ball movement actually gets quicker and we never have to worry about the second tall defender chopping in front of Boyd again.

Stringer gets the 3rd / 4th defender, I like that.

KT31
20-10-2016, 04:42 PM
That's where he played his best football and he says he's been at the same weight for 5 years (102 kgs).

High forward one side, Crameri high forward the other, we don't have to hesitate when bringing the ball out of defence, our ball movement actually gets quicker and we never have to worry about the second tall defender chopping in front of Boyd again.

This is what I love, back it in now Stringer for All Australian.

1eyedog
20-10-2016, 04:56 PM
He's Redpath's replacement so he'll play Redpath's role.

Raw Toast
20-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Apart from the first two finals, our forward line functioned best this year when Redpath was roaming far and wide, as well as straightening us up with a target at the top of the 50.

Cloke's got a fair bit to prove to the Pies, and I'd expect him to be able to do the Redpath role at a minimum. The upside is significantly higher - his engine has been very good, he's been an elite contested mark, and should also be able to help out in the ruck a bit, and opponents won't want to be in between him and the ball.

We've got him for nothing basically, and at worst he can be useful depth that helps limit the amount that the young bodies of Cordy and Boyd are smashed. At best he could be a forward version of Brian Lake who looked relatively cooked at the end of his time with us but was clearly rejuvenated with the move. I think Cloke will enjoy being at a club where he's not under a heap of pressure, and an environment that is both committed to excellence and also to enjoying that excellence.

If (and it is a significant if) he can do the right things defensively and keep his work-rate up with that, he might end up making us look back very fondly to this trade period. He'll know how hard we expect our forwards to work at pressuring the opposition and keeping the ball locked in (and I presume Malthouse was pretty uncompromising with that).

I wouldn't mind him being isolated a bit at the top of the goal-square either :)

craigsahibee
20-10-2016, 05:27 PM

He will be more important structurally than what can be defined by statistics.

Smads57
20-10-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm certainly not expecting Cloke to play the role that he was designated to perform at Coll. and hence expecting him to 'add' to our fwd line mix especially with Crammers coming back. I'm happy with this selection and if he take out .backmen like Rance, Hurley, Davis, Frawley etc, then our second string fwd line players (who led us to a premiership) will have easier days at the office in 2017/18

LostDoggy
20-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Excuse my ignorance but did we sign Clokey for 2 or 3 years?
Oh yeah and welcome to the Kennel Big Fella :)

Flamethrower
20-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Scapegoat when the forward line misfires.

Saviour when it clicks.

comrade
20-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Scapegoat when the forward line misfires.

Saviour when it clicks.

Tom Boyd and Jake Stringer just breathed a sigh of relief.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Trav also mentioned that he thought people were way too harsh on Tom Boyd and he wanted to work with him in a few areas.

1. On media pressure, and living and working through it.
2. On his forward craft. Where to run, when to lead and how to use his frame to maximum advantage.

I can see Trav being a good off-field and on-field buddy for Tom. Say what you want about him, having that attitude to want to help a young bloke out (was before his GF breakout game) in how to live with huge expectations and more importantly how to impact games and improve his forward craft says a fair bit to me. If he can accelerate Tom's forward craft, and nudge his development a bit quicker up forward that's another great intangible that his stat sheet won't show up.

craigsahibee
21-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Trav also mentioned that he thought people were way too harsh on Tom Boyd and he wanted to work with him in a few areas.

1. On media pressure, and living and working through it.
2. On his forward craft. Where to run, when to lead and how to use his frame to maximum advantage.

I can see Trav being a good off-field and on-field buddy for Tom. Say what you want about him, having that attitude to want to help a young bloke out (was before his GF breakout game) in how to live with huge expectations and more importantly how to impact games and improve his forward craft says a fair bit to me. If he can accelerate Tom's forward craft, and nudge his development a bit quicker up forward that's another great intangible that his stat sheet won't show up.

They may have a bit more in common too. Having grown up only a few km's from each other.

westdog54
22-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Excuse my ignorance but did we sign Clokey for 2 or 3 years?
Oh yeah and welcome to the Kennel Big Fella :)

Two.

GVGjr
22-10-2016, 10:29 AM
We don't need Cloke to come in and do anything too special but if he shows up fit and willing to work hard, which doesn't appear to be a problem, then providing he can work well the other forwards it should cause match up problems with other teams. The chemistry with the other forwards is the key and not easily gained.

As a side note, the Cloke inclusion means that Boyd is now the Kurt Tippett of our team and while many last year wanted him to be a stay at home forward, his finals exploits this year should win them over now for him to do a lot of ruck work when needed.

I think it's now up to Bevo and the coaches to get his confidence levels up and the rest should fall into place.

lemmon
22-10-2016, 10:47 AM
He just has to compete. After the premiership and finals, it's very easy to forget that for the most part our forward line functioned extremely poorly this year.

I hope he straightens us up and hits some bodies when Boyd isn't around. I just want him at contests and halving them for our crumbers, if he wins a few than even better.

One thing I don't think we can overlook is his kicking. Even with all the emphasis we're putting on his fitness, I hope he's doing a power of work on set shots. Misses from 20 metres arent acceptable in big games...ask Luke Breust.

KT31
22-10-2016, 11:29 AM
We don't need Cloke to come in and do anything too special but if he shows up fit and willing to work hard, which doesn't appear to be a problem, then providing he can work well the other forwards it should cause match up problems with other teams. The chemistry with the other forwards is the key and not easily gained.

As a side note, the Cloke inclusion means that Boyd is now the Kurt Tippett of our team and while many last year wanted him to be a stay at home forward, his finals exploits this year should win them over now for him to do a lot of ruck work when needed.

I think it's now up to Bevo and the coaches to get his confidence levels up and the rest should fall into place.

I was one of those who advocated Tom only play forward and after his brilliant finals campaign I have admit I am now happy for him to play a Tippett like role (only Tom does it heaps better).
I am still in the camp of Campbell coming into the side for most ruck duties to be backed up by Roughie playing down back and Tom up forward.
I think this gives us heaps of options and flexibility when needed.

Rocket Science
22-10-2016, 12:12 PM
As a side note, the Cloke inclusion means that Boyd is now the Kurt Tippett of our team ...

Must you be so unkind?

azabob
22-10-2016, 12:13 PM
I was one of those who advocated Tom only play forward and after his brilliant finals campaign I have admit I am now happy for him to play a Tippett like role (only Tom does it heaps better).
I am still in the camp of Campbell coming into the side for most ruck duties to be backed up by Roughie playing down back and Tom up forward.
I think this gives us heaps of options and flexibility when needed.

Do you see Cloke as best 22?

KT31
24-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Do you see Cloke as best 22?

I have Campbell ahead at this stage and not sure he is a automatic inclusion, although he is saying the right thing and is very keen for a big preseason I think he will have to do some work to break into the side.
First round against the Pies might see him get over the line on sentiment but I've given up long ago thinking I had any idea about our selection.
Could it be possible if Cloke plays at CHF there may be the chance we have all four tall's play in the same side ?

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 03:49 PM
With the acquisition of Schache, I'm now even happier about having Trav around. JMac talked about Trengove having great leadership which is important. Similarly between Shaq & Trav. Shaq sees himself best playing the the role that Trav has played for over a decade. That is, a huge big left footed player, using elite endurance and work rate to get up the ground, present and then work hard back to open himself up as a target inside 50. Trav understands forward craft, including leading and body work. Additionally, Trav understands the head space of not feeling right at a club and then moving forward at a new club.

Hopefully, they're paired up ASAP. For what Shaq (and the club) want to do, I can't think of anyone better suited to actually impart the knowledge and experience than Trav.

Twodogs
24-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Is Shaq a left footer? I didn't know that, I love the molly dookers!

ledge
25-10-2017, 10:42 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/travis-cloke-set-to-announce-retirement-from-afl/news-story/72b8e84f3941ed49391116ee854cd993

Axe Man
25-10-2017, 10:46 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/travis-cloke-set-to-announce-retirement-from-afl/news-story/72b8e84f3941ed49391116ee854cd993

Harsh but probably a good move by the club, thanks for your efforts Trav. If he's being paid anyway maybe he can still hang around and tutor our young key forwards?

For those that can't get past the paywall:

Travis Cloke set to announce retirement from AFL

TRAVIS CLOKE seems destined to retire in coming days after being painted a bleak picture of his senior prospects next year.

The Herald Sun understands Cloke is taking several days to consider his future before the club’s next list lodgement deadline.

Cloke would be paid out next year on the final year of a modest two-season deal.

But with Tom Campbell not being offered a new home during the trade period, Cloke is behind Tom Boyd, Jack Redpath and new recruit Josh Schache.

Cloke has been one of the AFL’s best contested marking players over the years but, as a poor set-shot kick, he has also been a maligned player.

Cloke is understood to be leaning toward retiring, given he would almost certainly be playing VFL football all year.

The former Pies premiership player battled mental health issues but returned to football this season.

Cloke, 30, booted 452 goals from 256 matches but often struggled for accuracy.

The big man fell out of favour with Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley in 2016 and was dropped for Anzac Day.

He was traded to the Western Bulldogs last October, but his struggles continued.

Cloke managed 10 games for the Dogs, kicking 11.9.

Bulldog forwards Mitch Honeychurch and Stewart Crameri are without contracts with their futures in limbo, but Cloke’s departure could win a reprieve for at least one of them.

Bulldog4life
25-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
More
It is over for Cloke, written statement coming. A realist, limited opportunity .. still had fire but finishing up

G-Mo77
25-10-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing Crameri gets a deal now. Not upset by this, in hindsight a bad move and this frees up a list spot in 2018.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
More
It is over for Cloke, written statement coming. A realist, limited opportunity .. still had fire but finishing up

Well, if we are paying him then I'd like him to mentor Schache as per my thoughts above. We must think Schache is a good chance of playing a fir bit of senior footy next year.

Throughandthrough
25-10-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm guessing Crameri gets a deal now. Not upset by this, in hindsight a bad move and this frees up a list spot in 2018.

according to Twitter he's gone as well. the Cloke decision doesn't change anything

LostDoggy
25-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Phew! Best outcome for everyone.

Ozza
25-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Phew! Best outcome for everyone.

Tend to agree.
Thanks for being a realist Clokey, and all the best.

Mantis
25-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Prefer Cloke to Redpath.

bornadog
25-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Prefer Cloke to Redpath.
Can’t see Redpath getting too many games.

Axe Man
25-10-2017, 12:48 PM
It's official:

Cloke calls time on career (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-25/cloke-calls-time-on-career)

Western Bulldogs forward Travis Cloke has announced his retirement after 13 seasons at the highest level.

Cloke, who spent 12 seasons at Collingwood before switching to the Bulldogs at the end of the 2016 season, finished with 256 games and 452 goals to his credit.

He won a Collingwood Best and Fairest in 2007, played in the Magpies’ 2010 premiership and was twice an All-Australian.

“The list management committee has had a number of discussions since the completion of the free agency and trade period about the profile of our playing list for the 2018 season,” said Bulldogs’ List Manager Jason McCartney.

“We had a discussion with Travis and his management about the opportunities for him to play senior football in 2018, based on the make-up of the list and the players we have brought into the football club since the end of the season.

“A mutual decision was made based on those discussions, that Travis would retire from the game.

“We’d like to congratulate Travis on an outstanding career, for his contribution to the Western Bulldogs in 2017, and wish him and his family the best for the future.”

Cloke played 10 games in 2017 for the Bulldogs, and kicked 11 goals.

“It’s important to acknowledge the career Travis has had in the game. To finish as a premiership player and notch over 250 games is a fantastic career, and he should be very proud of everything he has achieved,” said Bulldogs’ Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“We thoroughly enjoyed having him at the Club in the last 12 months, and we wish him well."

Cloke said: “The fire was still there to play on, but I appreciate the Club being honest about my prospects of playing senior football next year.”

bulldogtragic
25-10-2017, 12:51 PM
So Cloke is a delisted free agent? Fire in the belly still. Fremantle?

G-Mo77
25-10-2017, 12:54 PM
according to Twitter he's gone as well. the Cloke decision doesn't change anything

Yep, read that not long after I posted it T&T. Maybe a DFA? (Not Dylan Addison BTW)

Bulldog4life
25-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Can’t see Redpath getting too many games.

Hope he does. Underated by a lot on Woof. Personally I am a fan.

always right
25-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Would like to see Crameri retained.....we don't have many natural forwards.

macca
25-10-2017, 03:37 PM
If he is fit and mentally fired up to play , it would be crazy not to pick Him up as a DFA. Carlton , GCS or Fremantle would be crying out for someone with his attributes.

I have him ahead of Redpath. HE is more mobile, better contested mark, better tank , kick and can play further up the ground

Real shame that he is going, as I Believe he had a lot more to offer.

All the best Cloke and have loved watching every game you have played with us. I Guess were are expecting Schache to play more games next year.

S Coast Simon
25-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Good luck Trav hope someone picks you up or we have you mentoring our young pups. I too have him ahead of Redpath but all good they know what they are doing.

Axe Man
25-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Gutless keyboard warriors have a lot to answer for.

Travis Cloke announces retirement from AFL (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/travis-cloke-set-to-announce-retirement-from-afl/news-story/72b8e84f3941ed49391116ee854cd993)

TRAVIS Cloke has laid bare the savage toll persistent social media attacks took on his mental health in recent years.

As revealed this morning by the Herald Sun, Cloke has been forced into retirement after honest conversations with Dogs coach Luke Beveridge in recent days.

Cloke would have been forced to play VFL all next year but instead will consider playing with his brothers Jason and Cameron, and will be paid out by the Dogs.

Cloke took time away from the club this year to deal with a mental health battle that in part was brought on by persistent social media abuse.

He said today those dark days left him broken, as he attempted to work through his issues.

Cloke paid tribute to retiring former Dogs captain Matthew Boyd, who he said was one of the best people he had met in football.

But he feels for younger players coming into the game who struggle to stay off social media.

“The last couple of years have been tough. Footy has changed a lot, social media has brought a whole new element of pressure,’’ he said.

“The social media scrutiny will be different (in retirement). I don’t have to wake up on a weekend and see the hate and abuse you do get that way.

“But I have learnt to filter my use of the phone, I have learnt to talk to people instead of reading what some Joe Blow behind a keyboard has got to say.

“I feel sorry for the kids coming through now. It’s part of the industry, we are here now because the media drives it.

“You can pick up your phone and they are amazing devices but they are bloody shit for what they can do.

“Hopefully the footy club has pretty good systems to educate young fellas on what is right and wrong. I wish that was around five years ago.”

Cloke returned to football after a break to work through his issues, but says for a time he hit rock bottom.

“It is 24 hours I mull over in my head many times. Not many people know or saw the state I got in. Mentally and physically I was a wreck.

“It was a shock for my family and (wife) Becky to see me, having stood up to a lot of stuff and be quite robust, to break down and show my true colours.”

Cloke says he and former coach Nathan Buckley do not need to mend fences despite the perception they fell out in his last year at the Pies.

“I don’t think there is anything to mend. Bucks and I are fine. I received numerous texts from Bucks during the year,’’ he said.

“Obviously even palying Round 1 against the Pies I received a text and the same from Ed (Eddie McGuire).

“My relationships with the two of them is fantastic.

“We as mates never had an issue, as player and coach we butted heads a few times and I guess that’s the industry.”

Bulldogs’ list manager Jason McCartney said the retirement decision was mutual between club and player.

“The list management committee has had a number of discussions since the completion of the free agency and trade period about the profile of our playing list for the 2018 season,” McCartney said.

“We had a discussion with Travis and his management about the opportunities for him to play senior football in 2018, based on the make-up of the list and the players we have brought into the football club since the end of the season.

“A mutual decision was made based on those discussions, that Travis would retire from the game.

“We’d like to congratulate Travis on an outstanding career, for his contribution to the Western Bulldogs in 2017, and wish him and his family the best for the future.”

Cloke has been one of the AFL’s best contested marking players but, as a poor set-shot kick, he has also been a maligned player.

The 30-year-old booted 452 goals from 256 matches but often struggled for accuracy.

The big man fell out of favour with Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley in 2016 and was dropped for Anzac Day.

He was traded to the Western Bulldogs last October, but his struggles continued.

Cloke managed 10 games for the Dogs, kicking 11.9.

Bulldog forwards Mitch Honeychurch and Stewart Crameri are without contracts with their futures in limbo.

KT31
25-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Do we stil have to pay for Cloke next season ?

bornadog
25-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks Travis and all the best - who can forget your opening game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyFxvpQzW8

Axe Man
25-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Do we stil have to pay for Cloke next season ?

As per the article we will be paying him. Had he retired of his own volition I assume we wouldn't have had to but this was a mutual decision. If we didn't offer to pay him out he would have been within his rights to stay, play VFL and collect his money anyway.

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks Travis - the unfortunate injury sustained when Ziebell cannoned into you didnt help you get up and running with us

bulldogsthru&thru
25-10-2017, 05:57 PM
I'm actually a bit saddened by Cloke having to hang them up. Despite what a lot of people out there have said about his role with us, I thought he was doing really well up until Ziebells illegal hit on him. He played his role perfectly. Not sure why people were expecting him to kick bags each week. He was there to provide a contested target up the ground and he did that well. But for Ziebells hit and our shocking form I think he could have played a big part in season. Shame it didn't work out but I wish him all the best

AndrewP6
25-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Cloke and Crameri gone. Great shame IMO. Would have liked Cloke to finish on his own terms, and personally would have kept Crammers and let HC go.

Best of luck to both.

Mantis
26-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Hope he does. Underated by a lot on Woof. Personally I am a fan.

What do you see that others, including me miss?

I see him as an extremely limited player who has no tricks in his bag. Lead, mark and occasionally kick straight.. In a time when versatility is required, he offers little.

Twodogs
26-10-2017, 12:41 PM

I see him as an extremely limited player who has no tricks in his bag. Lead, mark and occasionally kick straight.. In a time when versatility is required, he offers little.

Agreed. It was great that he came to the club and all that but it plainly wasn't working and the hit from Ziebull left Cloke a limited player.

We gave it a go, it didn't work out let's move on.

Mantis
26-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Agreed. It was great that he came to the club and all that but it plainly wasn't working and the hit from Ziebull left Cloke a limited player.

We gave it a go, it didn't work out let's move on.

I'm talking about Redpath.

Twodogs
26-10-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm talking about Redpath.

So was I... :cool:

Redpath Cloke. Very well known around town.

boydogs
26-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Lead, mark and occasionally kick straight is pretty important

There's a point where flexibility isn't as valuable if you have a lot of other flexible players - the coach has a lot of other options to change things up. I don't mind Redpath as a 2nd ruck though, he competes OK if needed

bornadog
27-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Lead, mark and occasionally kick straight is pretty important

There's a point where flexibility isn't as valuable if you have a lot of other flexible players - the coach has a lot of other options to change things up. I don't mind Redpath as a 2nd ruck though, he competes OK if needed

How about Forward pressure? In today's game, most attacks happen from the backline, and if the forwards can't put the pressure on, then your backline up the other end is constantly under attack.

hujsh
27-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Yeah if Redpath could count one or two of contested marking, forward pressure, endurance, good delivery/score assists as notable traits it'd be a different story. I'm not sure he offers any of the above.

Is there any other trait or skill he has I'm missing

Eastdog
27-10-2017, 12:12 AM
How about Forward pressure? In today's game, most attacks happen from the backline, and if the forwards can't put the pressure on, then your backline up the other end is constantly under attack.

Certainly happened a lot with us this season.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2017, 10:19 AM

I see what apparently our club sees by giving him a 2 year contract. A player who is a natural forward and contributes to at least kick a couple of goals most weeks. I thought he got up the ground a lot more this year too which was a big plus. His ability to crash packs and hurt the opposition is a good trait for a forward to have too. As we all know big guys take longer to be more consistent too and Red only started with us as a 21 year old so I, as the club must also think, believe his best footy is yet to come. Plus I have a habit of supporting all the boys once the pull on the red white and blue jumper. :)

bulldogtragic
27-10-2017, 10:30 AM
I still have a bad taste in my mouth, like him as a player or not, like what he did last season or not. We cry that we can't get big name players and that were not a destination club. So we convince one to tear up a lucrative contract to come to us for two years, forgoing hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then we convince him to leave on the eve of preseason. Hard to sell us as a destination club even more I'd guess. Hard for other players to think that next year they might be leant on to kill their career too if we sit them down after trade period. This is not how to do business, nor how to look after contracted players and rebuild player culture. Then we at least owed him a proper send off press conference, not an interview on the side of the street. I really, really don't like this be it Cloke or any other player in the example.

josie
27-10-2017, 07:43 PM
I thought Cloke looked good in pt adel game and earlier in year. Also think he was good an imparting knowledge to our young tall forwards in vfl. Sad to see him go when I reckon he had another year left on contract. And he could hold more marks and provide a contest high balls better than most of rest of team. In Bevo we trust. I do hope they bring in some they bring in some fresh coaching faces incl a goal kicking coach.

jeemak
27-10-2017, 08:12 PM
He was only going to play twos at Collingwood, and was told of a similar situation next year with us. He knew what he was getting into.

On the plus side, we shouldn’t be hearing anything from David Cloke anymore.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2017, 09:02 PM
He was only going to play twos at Collingwood, and was told of a similar situation next year with us. He knew what he was getting into.

On the plus side, we shouldn’t be hearing anything from David Cloke anymore.

He knew he was getting a two year deal. But no more DC is a sweetener.

bornadog
28-10-2017, 12:58 AM
Travis Cloke: "There were stories of infighting at the Bulldogs. I never saw that. They're a great, young group"

Ghost Dog
28-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Never a big fan of this pick and we move onto a new era. Experiment over, hope he enjoyed his time.

Remi Moses
28-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Free throw at the stumps to be honest . Bit unlucky with that gutless hit from Ziebel, but I think the pace of the game got him

jeemak
28-10-2017, 12:15 PM
He knew he was getting a two year deal. But no more DC is a sweetener.

Yes, one with a modest severance payout. That tells me he wanted to get away from Collingwood in hope of more senior opportunity whilst being realistic about his second year prospects with us.

ledge
28-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Give him credit on the radio , putting bullshit rumours to bed.