PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Goal of The Year 2016

bulldogtragic
25-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Hard to pick one. If there was a team goal, Daniel's GWS prelim goal would be it. For sheer awesomeness, JJ beating Sydney with the last kick of the day is hard to beat.

Tom Boyd picking up a spilled ball, takes the advantage, kicks from inside the square to win a Grand Final. As Brian Taylor said, F*CK!!

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USaPOB6iLsY

bornadog
25-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Hard to pick one. If there was a team goal, Daniel's GWS prelim goal would be it. For sheer awesomeness, JJ beating Sydney with the last kick of the day is hard to beat.

Tom Boyd picking up a spilled ball, takes the advantage, kicks from inside the square to win a Grand Final. As Brian Taylor said, F*CK!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOdcIwCreV8

Topdog
25-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Has to be Boyd, timing, importance and just the sheer emotion of it. As Cometti said "And the Western Suburbs erupts!"

chef
25-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Has to be Boyd, timing, importance and just the sheer emotion of it. As Cometti said "And the Western Suburbs erupts!"

Mine too and as BT said F##K!!!!

bornadog
25-10-2016, 02:57 PM

The moment I thought we won the premiership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZvdsDro8Ik

MrMahatma
25-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Boyd or Bont's in the pre-lim, following JJ's run.

Two goals that give me tingles (and occasionally the ol' eyes well up a bit) no matter how often I see them.

bornadog
25-10-2016, 03:10 PM

Two goals that give me tingles (and occasionally the ol' eyes well up a bit) no matter how often I see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvaaGgQinc

Topdog
25-10-2016, 03:25 PM
We give BT a lot of shit for his commentating at times but his commentary on the Bont and Boyd goals are just superb.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Bontempelli's in the prelim final - was the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed at the footy.

I think it was a combination of;

- The feeling of the team being 'on the march' in the game.
- putting us in front in a tense prelim
- where I was sitting in relation to where Bont first paddled the ball.
- seeing it all unfold at the ground - knowing what the end result was going to be, but still getting the 3-4 seconds of the Bont gathering, steadying and kicking the goal.
- it being our star who finished it off.

It would be right up there as my favourite moment, of any game, ever.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 03:29 PM
We give BT a lot of shit for his commentating at times but his commentary on the Bont and Boyd goals are just superb.

When the game itself is good enough and important enough - he does cut out the annoying stuff a fair bit, and adds a good level of excitement.

Still ain't no Anthony Hudson though....

bornadog
25-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Really love this goal as well:

here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-07/caleb-daniel-finishes-unbelievable-goal-for-the/7393578)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-10-2016, 03:42 PM
I like Stringers snap against Hawthorn he had so little room

Mantis
25-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I like Stringers snap against Hawthorn he had so little room

His goal in the GF was better.. Less than 5 players in the comp would've kicked it.

SlimPickens
25-10-2016, 04:15 PM
His goal in the GF was better.. Less than 5 players in the comp would've kicked it.

Disagree. Only one player would have kicked that goal in the comp, and he did!

chef
25-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Yep. And once again BT went nuts, I think a bit of his over antics were aimed at the Ox.

comrade
25-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Bontempelli's in the prelim final - was the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed at the footy.

- seeing it all unfold at the ground - knowing what the end result was going to be, but still getting the 3-4 seconds of the Bont gathering, steadying and kicking the goal.

Yep, had everything.

Was the best moment in a game that was full of unbelievable moments.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Yep, had everything.

Was the best moment in a game that was full of unbelievable moments.

Every non-bulldog supporter that I spoke to, that had been watching at a pub - assures me that the whole venue went absolutely berserk when Bont kicked the goal.

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 05:58 PM

Agreed. I have watched the Octocall about 15 times. The only other three moments of pure euphoria outside the Grand Final was Libba's goal in 97, Super's goal in the 92 QF to put us 5 goals up in the second quarter against Geelong and Stringer's goal in the last to put us up against the Cows in the EF last year.

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 06:22 PM
When I am even older than I am now and I start making much less sense than I do now. When people start to make a point of coming to visit me just in case. When the synopses of my brain only allow one little spark of activity then I just know that glow will be Liam Picken spiking the ball over his Swans opponent into the goal square and swooping and running into the open goal with Bruce's glorious "it's over, it's all over, the dam wall has burst" ringing in my ears. That will do me.

jazzadogs
25-10-2016, 06:24 PM

What a moment.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Is that Dahl in background with the best view in the house? Just needs some popcorn to enjoy the show.

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 06:48 PM

That Bont/JJ goal in the orelim is one of the greatest goals of all time given the context of the game never mind the history of things going wrong at moments like that for us. But the Bont is the Bont is the Bont and as soon as JJ landed the ball within 10 metres of him and he was going to kick it. JJ's kick was centimetre perfect though and Bont didn't even have to break stride. God it's a great goal.

In a funny way it reminds me so much of Micky Thomas goal for Arsenal at Anfield in 1989 that won the title for Arsenal in the 90th minute of the final game of the season. When Thomas rounded Bruce Grobellar it was almost like time stood still as he couldn't help but score and you think "oh my god Thomas is going to score" and then he does score and the world is never quite the same again. You get that split second when everything seems to stop like that as you think "oh my god Bontempelli is going to score" and he does and the world changed completely.

I love with less than a minute to go he is trying to get Darce to call the Bulldogs home but from the sound of things Darce seems to be hiding under a desk or in a cupboard because he doesn't make any sense at all for about a nanosecond before pretty much giving it the old Mal Meninga "I'm buggered, I'm stuffed, I just can't do this" line and going back to hoklding his breath and covering his eyes like the rest of us.

I'm struggling to think if five players I've seen in my life who could have kicked that goal. Ablett, Bruce Lidner, Richard Osborne, maybe Peter Daicos.

josie
25-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Love all the nominations thus far.

The Bont goal in the prelim after JJ's run was just dazzling. Never heard a relatively small crowd erupt like that ever - 20k sounded like 100k.

For gob smacking amazement at team skills the goal against Crows which Daniel kicked.

For sheer tenacity either the one in the prelim that Daniel also kicked or the one in the grand final where Bigg's multiple efforts led to Picken goal.

For skill of a single player Stringer's goal in grand final - amazing what he can do in a nanosecond.

For importance given the pressure of the moment Zaine Cordy's goal when we really needed one in grand final - bloody difficult shot too. Also Boyd's 1st goal from sharp angle.

Perhaps also (given that it made us 2 nil vs Swans in home & away in 2 seasons and gave us confidence we could beat the Swans) JJ's goal earlier this season and of course Macrae's goal in prelim.

Loved Boyd's 60 metre (with Morry's tackle a pearler) and for jubiliation Picken's last sealer goal in grand final.

Webby
25-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Mine was the Bont's against Port at Adelaide Oval early in the year. I was sitting amongst the Port members and Bont tapped the ball ahead of him, glided away from his opponent, broke left straight towards where I was sitting and goaled.

I stood up and screamed champion with the overhead hand clap applause thing you do. I braced for some flak, but even the most feral Port fans (and they're actually not that bad, btw - nothing on Pies or Dons) simply rolled their bottom lips and nodded.

I was beaming with pride - and I was just a plonker in a Dogs scarf. That's what champions do. They give you pride, swagger and cred!
We won a tight one by under a goal. It was a great feeling.

That's the one that stood out for me.

chef
25-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Stringers tap to Daniel in the goal square was pretty awesome. So many efforts from Jake to keep it going.

Mantis
25-10-2016, 08:35 PM
I'm struggling to think if five players I've seen in my life who could have kicked that goal. Ablett, Bruce Lidner, Richard Osborne, maybe Peter Daicos.

I'm thinking Stringer, Betts, GAJnr, Hodge and the Bont... Stringer's ability to gather in the left hand, transfer to the right and then kick accurately in about 0.5 of a second is *!*!*!*!ing hard... He is a talent.

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm thinking Stringer, Betts, GAJnr, Hodge and the Bont... Stringer's ability to gather in the left hand, transfer to the right and then kick accurately in about 0.5 of a second is *!*!*!*!ing hard... He is a talent.

Betts is true, he's a freak. Gaj and Hodge are either disinterested or past it now.

Bernie Quinlan would have kicked it off either foot. Stringer is a bit like Quinlan. Malcolm Bligjt would have kicked it and Barassi would have dragged him for being selfish.

boydogs
26-10-2016, 12:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvaaGgQinc

Great thread. My vote is for Picken's goal in the GF which was preceded by 4 efforts from Biggs and about 5 smothered kicks before Macrae managed to centre it. There were better individual goals, such as Stringer's v Brisbane, but when the whips were cracking in the final quarter of the GF this goal showed the persistence and desperation that won us the flag. Daniel's goal in the prelim was along the same lines

Still can't believe though the roar of the crowd after Bont's goal in the video I've quoted. It must have been something to be away from home in Sydney taking over another team's stadium and cheering us to victory

merantau
26-10-2016, 01:08 AM
I agree with all goals mentioned above but would like to add a couple more: Tory Dickson's effort to get to his feet and snag a goal while his chumpish opponents looked on helplessly was pretty satisfying and his one-handed mark against Heath Shaw was a super effort.

"Heath looked around for someone to blame
But alas poor Heath your quest is in vain
Cos it's your ugly mug that's filling the frame."

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-10-2016, 04:35 PM
I agree with all goals mentioned above but would like to add a couple more: Tory Dickson's effort to get to his feet and snag a goal while his chumpish opponents looked on helplessly was pretty satisfying and his one-handed mark against Heath Shaw was a super effort.

"Heath looked around for someone to blame
But alas poor Heath your quest is in vain
Cos it's your ugly mug that's filling the frame."

That was hilarious

Twodogs
26-10-2016, 04:44 PM
That was hilarious

Almost as funny as that time Goddard had the player cam thing attached to him and was showing off and said to David Zacharakis "Zaka, where's your man?" and Zaka just looked at Goddard and said "where's yours?"

Sedat
26-10-2016, 11:28 PM
His hands were elite, especially the initial gather low down on the left hand, and the finish under extreme pressure was magnificent.

The whole passage was amazing - Bont 3rd man up, Macrae super quick hands and Stringer did the rest. Swans did absolutely nothing wrong in that passage but our brilliant hands found a way to extract an inch of free space to turn into a goal.

bornadog
27-10-2016, 12:01 AM
His hands were elite, especially the initial gather low down on the left hand, and the finish under extreme pressure was magnificent.

The whole passage was amazing - Bont 3rd man up, Macrae super quick hands and Stringer did the rest. Swans did absolutely nothing wrong in that passage but our brilliant hands found a way to extract an inch of free space to turn into a goal.

Macrae was instrumental in at least three goals that I can remember. The one you describe above, the Picken one after the super effort from Biggs and in the 3rd when he handballed to Dicko who snapped truly.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Stringers tap to Daniel in the goal square was pretty awesome. So many efforts from Jake to keep it going.

That is by far my favourite team goal of the year.

Sedat
29-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Been watching some of the H&A games on Foxtel the last couple of nights and there were a couple of fantastic goals in the Port game at Adelaide Oval. In the 3rd qtr, Libba on a tight angle on the wrong side for a left footer from about 45m out after a perfect gather off the ground and a couple of steps. And early in the last qtr Stringer gathered a ground ball on the wing and put the jets on, streaming through the centre square to hammer home a massive goal from 60m out.

There are quite a few contenders but this is probably my favourite H&A match from this season - cracking game from start to finish.

comrade
29-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Been watching some of the H&A games on Foxtel the last couple of nights and there were a couple of fantastic goals in the Port game at Adelaide Oval. In the 3rd qtr, Libba on a tight angle on the wrong side for a left footer from about 45m out after a perfect gather off the ground and a couple of steps. And early in the last qtr Stringer gathered a ground ball on the wing and put the jets on, streaming through the centre square to hammer home a massive goal from 60m out.

There are quite a few contenders but this is probably my favourite H&A match from this season - cracking game from start to finish.

Yep, watched it at the Railway Hotel amongst Doggies fans and it was a ripper. Bont & Stringer just wouldn't let us lose.

merantau
30-10-2016, 01:06 PM
That Bont/JJ goal in the orelim is one of the greatest goals of all time given the context of the game never mind the history of things going wrong at moments like that for us. But the Bont is the Bont is the Bont and as soon as JJ landed the ball within 10 metres of him and he was going to kick it. JJ's kick was centimetre perfect though and Bont didn't even have to break stride. God it's a great goal.

In a funny way it reminds me so much of Micky Thomas goal for Arsenal at Anfield in 1989 that won the title for Arsenal in the 90th minute of the final game of the season. When Thomas rounded Bruce Grobellar it was almost like time stood still as he couldn't help but score and you think "oh my god Thomas is going to score" and then he does score and the world is never quite the same again. You get that split second when everything seems to stop like that as you think "oh my god Bontempelli is going to score" and he does and the world changed completely.

I love with less than a minute to go he is trying to get Darce to call the Bulldogs home but from the sound of things Darce seems to be hiding under a desk or in a cupboard because he doesn't make any sense at all for about a nanosecond before pretty much giving it the old Mal Meninga "I'm buggered, I'm stuffed, I just can't do this" line and going back to hoklding his breath and covering his eyes like the rest of us.

Those smug, sneering types who look down on football are beyond my understanding. Even if you had no interest in either of the competing teams it seems to me, that given the state of the game, and the overall context in which it was taking place, you would have to be brain dead not to be stirred by Bont's goal. The battle for possession that preceeded it was epic; Matty Boyd's intercept of the handball inspired. And then JJ arriving at speed, doling out a shimmy, igniting the after burners and busting into space - a blur across the turf - prior to delivering the perfect kick to allow the Bont to run on to it, execute the perfect paddle take control of the ball accelerate away, strighten up a tad and then, with copy book kicking style send the Sherrin over the umpy's head bisecting the goal posts. And all the while 20 odd thousand people are locked in anticipation's ruthless embrace. Something big is enfolding before their eyes. They are a nanno second away from experiencing total elation or total despair. And when the Bont delivers the roar is deafening, the joy is torrential.
The test of greatness, for me anyway, is how many times you could watch the replay of an event before tiring of it. If the answer is "NEVER!" then you know it's great. I get goosebumps just reading about people's reactions to this goal. How I wish I'd been at the game. I absolutely envy and applaud those supporters who made the trip. I was in a bar 000s of km away watching with 6 Aussies, none of whom were Bulldogs supporters but all were barracking hard for us and all were on their feet when the Bont goaled. It was an EPIC moment among the many epic moments our team delivered during the finals. The AFL owes us because we have given football a boost like never before. GO DOGS!