PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Ever Premierships

boydogs
30-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Our next flag after 1954 was always going to be significant in breaking the drought, but the 2016 win was a really special one

No-one had ever won the flag from 7th
No-one had ever won the flag winning 2 interstate finals

We took out last year's Grand Finalists at their home grounds, GWS away from 14 points down in the last quarter, and the minor prermiers in the big one with a point in it with 8 minutes to go and some epic plays in the dying minutes

Where does this rank amongst the greatest premierships of all time?

I'm thinking Essendon 2000 with the near unbeaten season, Sydney 2005 with the nailbiting finish, Adelaide 1997 (I know, I know) from outside the top 4 and behind in the PF, Geelong 2007 with the 100+ point win as others that may be up there

Twodogs
30-10-2016, 11:49 PM
collingwood in 1958 .

comrade
30-10-2016, 11:51 PM
In terms of history, romance, and the general impossibility of it all, nothing touches the 2016 flag and nothing ever will.

We just lived through an historical event that will be spoken about forever. Books, movies etc will be made. And we were lucky enough to be witness to it.

Twodogs
30-10-2016, 11:52 PM
North played 5 finals in 1977 with the drawn Grand Pfinal.

Twodogs
30-10-2016, 11:54 PM
In terms of history, romance, and the general impossibility of it all, nothing touches the 2016 flag and nothing ever will.

We just lived through an historical event that will be spoken about forever. Books, movies etc will be made. And we were lucky enough to be witness to it.

Yep we will telling our grandkids we saw Tom Boyd's goal.

And Bont's goal in the prelim.

ANd zDarling drop that mark.

And Bont rag doll the Good Bloke Luke Hodge

merantau
31-10-2016, 01:57 AM
No doubt in my mind - greatest finals campaign ever waged and don't forget - we had some horror injuries to cover. A mega effort that dare I say it - WAS GOOD FOR FOOTBALL!

hujsh
31-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Sydney in 2005 with the history and the finish comes closest but I remember wanting West Coast to win because Sydney played the game like shit all year in those boring drawn out slugfests and the last thing we all needed was followers trying to imitate them

Danny the snakeman
31-10-2016, 03:32 AM
Have to be this one as no other one counts. Hmm ok maybe one other counts but that was a very long time ago.

bornadog
31-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Ours is the greatest achieved from where we came from.

As for actual grand finals on the day, the 1970 GF between Collingwood and Carlton is hard to beat. Carlton 42 points down at halftime stormed home after Coach Barassi gave instructions to hand ball, handball handball, something not done much back then.

There were also some great performances from Jezza and Teddy Hopkins who kicked 4 second half goals and then never to be seen again. Also the biggest crowd to ever attend with 121,000 plus there.

PS: I hate Carlton with a passion.

KT31
31-10-2016, 10:23 AM

As for actual grand finals on the day, the 1970 GF between Collingwood and Carlton is hard to beat. Carlton 42 points down at halftime stormed home after Coach Barassi gave instructions to hand ball, handball handball, something not done much back then.

It was a coaching masterclass from Barassi, it changed the way footy was played.
For those Woofers a bit younger (looking at you Eastie), 42 points the way footy was played back then was a huge margin
to overcome in a H&A game let alone a Granny.

I rate our Grandfinal very highly and stand alone it is brilliant but there are others some would argue are just as great.
IMO though if you package our whole final series up, it is without question the greatest final series ever played.

1eyedog
31-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Ok, ok haven't won one in 62 years, finish in 7th place, go to the Perth and beat the form team of the end of the home and away, come back to Melbourne and beat the reigning Premiers on their home deck, go to Sydney and beat the bookies favourite for the flag on their home deck, come back to Melbourne and beat the favourite again with the majority of our side in the 20-23 year old bracket.

Is there really any competition?

I think the true unbiased test comes from the neutrals and everyone I speak to who doesn't support the dogs said it is the greatest neutral Grand Final they can remember. They point to the sheer exhilaration of everyone, and that the Dogs winning it made people appreciate the footy again and the affect it has on emotions.

As for the contest it was hard all day and the victor was only decided at the 20 minute mark of the final quarter.

Rocco Jones
31-10-2016, 11:12 AM
It really depends on how we are defining great.

In terms of romance, I have us clearly as the greatest. 62 years, Bob and the mass of injuries throughout the year, our likeability and the finals streak. Wow.

In terms of the most convincing, we aren't close as we came 7th. But that's boring. Pick one of the teams that clearly came 1st and wasn't challenged in the finals. Essendon 2000? Whatever.

bornadog
31-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I rate our Grandfinal very highly and stand alone it is brilliant but there are others some would argue are just as great.
IMO though if you package our whole final series up, it is without question the greatest final series ever played.

Yes it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsgo1fFjt_s

KT31
31-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Yes it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsgo1fFjt_s

Will Anderson mentioned on his '2 Guys 1 Cup' podcast that Mark Seymour was in the middle of the bush somewhere during the Grandfinal, seriously what was he thinking.
There has been never a more appropriate song written and better time to gate crash a post Grandfinal concert, this was Doggies supporting Marks time.:)

Twodogs
31-10-2016, 01:06 PM

There were also some great performances from Jezza and Teddy Hopkins who kicked 4 second half goals and then never to be seen again. Also the biggest crowd to ever attend with 121,000 plus there.

PS: I hate Carlton with a passion.

44 points. The handball at all costs instruction from Barassi is a bit of a myth. Barassi was really annoyed and told the Carlton players to "handball or do whatever the *!*!*!*! you want to do because you're not very good at playing football" which has morphed into Barassi being a genius and telling his players to handball their way out of trouble.
Teams have been using handball as an attacking weapon since the 1920s (Footscray handballed its way into the 1961 GF), when we won the 1924 Championship of Victoria handball was our main weapon. (so you could say that we handballed, or threw-it depends on what newspaper reports you read, our way into the VFL) Carlton were actually well on the way back before halftime after Tuddy had knocked McKenna into the middle of next week. I think McKenna had kicked 5 or 6 by halftime but just wandered about in a daze not really knowing where he was for the second half and Tuddy wasn't much better.

I'm not normally huge on recommending books but THE best book i have ever read regarding football is Time and Space:the tactics that shaped Australian rules and the players and coaches who mastered them. there is an entire chapter (40-50 PAGES) on the evolution of handball from the weird volleyball serve type of thing that they used in the the first ten or fifteen years of the last century through the flick pass/throw years up until now. Just the section on the politics of whether we should have clenched fist or open hand punch method of handballing and the bitch fight/proxy war it set off between Victoria and South Australia and Tasmania in order to sort out how we should handball the ball is worth the price of the book alone.

It is on Ibooks. Its the best footy book and close to the best sports book I have read. And I read a LOT of sports books.

SonofScray
01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Undoubtedly, for all the reasons you mentioned, it was the greatest month of football any team has ever put together.

Eastdog
01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Certainly the greatest premiership win in terms of the position we came from and with all our injuries.

Eastdog
01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
A few of the commentary lines I won't forget:

"I think there going to get there now" BT

"The Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final" Luke Darcy

"It means everything if you are a Bulldogs fan everything" Bruce

"Their day, their year" DC

"But they don't miss out" DC

LostDoggy
01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Ours easily by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Ours easily by the length of the Flemington Straight.

By the distance Winx won the Cox Plate.

choconmientay
01-11-2016, 04:29 PM
A month on, it's still enjoyable watching the unexpected Premierships. This video was up on AFL this morning and made my day.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-11-01/a-month-of-memories#ooid=s4Y3YyNzE6ADJKopljW92soY8DtOAIjo

bulldogtragic
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Interesting... the two nominations for greatest final, include the two major revolutionising of the handball.

Barassi's changed gameplan to handball much more, and Bevo's 'handball club' outrageous performances involving handballing over the players head to advantage all over the ground. Including Lachie Hunter's over the head handball to Picken in the forward pocket and an equally astonishing snap.

LostDoggy
01-11-2016, 08:27 PM
I am pretty sure in 1961 we revolutionised the way footy was played by introducing the handball. I am sure I have read that previously.

KT31
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
I am pretty sure in 1961 we revolutionised the way footy was played by introducing the handball. I am sure I have read that previously.

Did you mean the Whitten Flick Pass, banned mid 60's ?

The Doctor
01-11-2016, 09:33 PM

I'd like to add

"the stadium hold's its' breath" DC on the Boyd goal

"wwhhhoooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" The SEN commentary team on the Bontempelli goal in the prelim

LostDoggy
01-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Did you mean the Whitten Flick Pass, banned mid 60's ?
Perhaps.

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 10:57 PM

We used hamdball as an attacking weapon in 1924 in the state championship game against Essendon.

LostDoggy
02-11-2016, 07:46 AM

"I think there going to get there now" BT

"The Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final" Luke Darcy

"It means everything if you are a Bulldogs fan everything" Bruce

"Their day, their year" DC

"But they don't miss out" DC

Hard to go past BTs delirious: "Tom Boyd. From inside the centre square. Inside the centre square. Tom Boyd. F*!k. I can't believe that!!..."

1eyedog
02-11-2016, 09:16 AM
I'd like to add

"wwhhhoooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" The SEN commentary team on the Bontempelli goal in the prelim

Just on that goal.

'Listen to this... Listen to the fans! THIS is why we come to the football, neither side gives or takes and inch'

Rexy on AFL live starting at 3:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvaaGgQinc

Twodogs
02-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I'd like to add

Standing there watching that ball is one of the most surreal moments of my life. It really was like the stadium did hold its breath. I can remember all of us standing and watching the ball, time really did seem to stand still as it stood on its end and I will never forget the pandemonium after it went through.

always right
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Standing there watching that ball is one of the most surreal moments of my life. It really was like the stadium did hold its breath. I can remember all of us standing and watching the ball, time really did seem to stand still as it stood on its end and I will never forget the pandemonium after it went through.

The word "surreal" got a fair run over that four week period didn't it?

Twodogs
02-11-2016, 12:19 PM
The word "surreal" got a fair run over that four week period didn't it?

It did but I think I have a better handle on what it means now. A lot of the individual moments that made that period up can't be described any other way.

merantau
03-11-2016, 01:49 AM
A month on, it's still enjoyable watching the unexpected Premierships. This video was up on AFL this morning and made my day.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-11-01/a-month-of-memories#ooid=s4Y3YyNzE6ADJKopljW92soY8DtOAIjo

That is a marvellous video. The different angles presented give it a real immediacy - you really get drawn into the action. Really enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

merantau
03-11-2016, 02:04 AM
For me the most intense passage of play was the lead up to Liam Picken's second goal. I guess it was about 12 seconds of play but it involved about 10 of our players and some performed multiple acts. It was utterly absorbing, breathtaking and epic.
Caleb Daniel's goal just before 3/4 time against GWS involved 15 Bulldog players. Both would rate highly in the best team goals in the game's history.

merantau
03-11-2016, 02:12 AM
For me the most intense passage of play was the lead up to Liam Picken's second goal. I guess it was about 12 seconds of play but it involved about 10 of our players and some performed multiple acts. It was utterly absorbing, breathtaking and epic.
Caleb Daniel's goal just before 3/4 time against GWS involved 15 Bulldog players. Both would rate highly in the best team goals in the game's history.

It was actually 44 seconds of play from the time Biggs first charged down the kick to the time Liam goaled - incredible!