PDA

View Full Version : Unheralded Grand Final Moments

bulldogtragic
07-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Thought it would be good to get some views on some unheralded moments in the Grand Final. Some big plays were made all day by nearly everyone, if not evyone. But there's moments each time I watch the replay and think to myself, I'm so happy he took that moment.

So here goes. JJ kicks the winner, it gets overturned. Like Cometti said, we fear these moments. They kick a really long kick down the centre of the ground to their ruckman and start their assault, but Roughead outbodies him and takes a strong contested pack mark to stop that momentum. Stopped dead, snuffed out. These dogs don't let long down the line kicks get the opposition an easy out, nor build up a big turnaround. Ball back in our hands too. Just a brilliant moment, albeit unheralded, by a bloke who took his opportunity to impact the game when it came up. Sure it's no Zaine Cordy moment, but it's one of my favourite grand final moments.

And yours? A bump, handball, tackle, spoil, shepherd, pass, run or otherwise unhalded moment.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2016, 12:22 AM
And another. After CD's handball out to Stringer to set up the winner to Picken. When Stringer receives the ball and goes to take off, Tom Boyd puts his big body in between Stringer and the chasing Swans defender which gives Stringer an extra few seconds to sum up the moment and make the right call to hit up Picken who also had a few extra seconds to work over his man. I'm not sure if he was credited with a shepherd, but just another great small moment.

Twodogs
07-11-2016, 12:39 AM
I love that moment. Roughie's taken the mark and looks back down the ground as if to say "we got caught out like that once" Huge moment in the game and this group have become very good at controlling the big moments in games

I liked Zaine Cordy's first goal. The big tackle on the player who tried to sell him the dummy-HTB is the best free kick to get for a player. Then after having no options to go back and nail the kick from almost 50 out on the boundary in front of 99 982 people takes serious nerve from a teenage kid. Goals like that are a big sign that things are going your way and you could see the players we're really excited after he'd kicked it.

Actually I really enjoyed the whole of that little run on we got early in the second quarter. Dickson's goal was another "sign" goal too, he had no right to kick that but just wanted the ball so much more than both of his opponents and thought his way through the situation so much better than both of them. It was the only part of the game that I wasn't totally panicked.

LostDoggy
07-11-2016, 02:04 AM
And another. After CD's handball out to Stringer to set up the winner to Picken. When Stringer receives the ball and goes to take off, Tom Boyd puts his big body in between Stringer and the chasing Swans defender which gives Stringer an extra few seconds to sum up the moment and make the right call to hit up Picken who also had a few extra seconds to work over his man. I'm not sure if he was credited with a shepherd, but just another great small moment.
Boyd put a block on for both of Picken's last quarter goals.

boydogs
07-11-2016, 02:06 AM
Tom Boyd also shepherded for Picken to kick the goal on the end of the multiple efforts from Biggs, after he had his own kick smothered 20 metres away moments earlier

Scraggers
07-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Tom Boyd also shepherded for Picken to kick the goal on the end of the multiple efforts from Biggs, after he had his own kick smothered 20 metres away moments earlier

That was mine too. When the game was still in the balance; the multiple efforts from Biggs resulting in the Picken goal. He was relentless. For me, Biggs' passage of play really summed up our whole game.

Chicago1
07-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Unheralded Grand Final moments... hmmm... having a coldish meat pie with sauce and hot chips with a tonne of salt and vinegar before the game. ;)

LostDoggy
07-11-2016, 07:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpWpc5qfH4I

My favourite unheralded play was Dale Morris effort to dive and gather the ball when 4th in line. It occurred with 7.45 to go in the 3rd quarter (see from 1.44.00 on the above), Sydney had just hit the front and were going forward, but once Morris trapped that one I remember thinking we just want it more. We've got them. His play resulted in the Clay Smith goal that got us back in front.

1eyedog
07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
That was mine too. When the game was still in the balance; the multiple efforts from Biggs resulting in the Picken goal. He was relentless. For me, Biggs' passage of play really summed up our whole game.

Yeah Biggsy's smother and then one hand intercept led to the Picken goal when the Swans looked to take it out of our D50. That was one of the biggest plays in the game.

SlimPickens
07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Easton Woods hit on Kieran Jack after Jack marked it in the first quarter. Wood showed our intent and hardly any swans reminstrated with Wood. This moment for me, set the tone of the day.

bornadog
07-11-2016, 09:46 AM
So here goes. JJ kicks the winner, it gets overturned. Like Cometti said, we fear these moments. They kick a really long kick down the centre of the ground to their ruckman and start their assault, but Roughead outbodies him and takes a strong contested pack mark to stop that momentum. Stopped dead, snuffed out. These dogs don't let long down the line kicks get the opposition an easy out, nor build up a big turnaround. Ball back in our hands too. Just a brilliant moment, albeit unheralded, by a bloke who took his opportunity to impact the game when it came up. Sure it's no Zaine Cordy moment, but it's one of my favourite grand final moments.

After the Roughie mark you mention above, the ball ends up in the forward line, Swans kick the ball long, watch the big punch from behind from Wood. What follows is Franklin being tackled down and Boyd kicking the long goal. That punch from Wood kept the ball in our half of the ground at a crucial moment.

Start of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZvdsDro8Ik

1eyedog
07-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Bont's hit out and Macrae's hands which led to the Stringer goal.

bornadog
07-11-2016, 10:00 AM
The last goal of the day.

Ball in Swans forward line, Matty Boyd, (under pressue), taps the ball to Fletcher, who is pushed to the ground, but also manages a tap out to Morris, who picks it up and handballs to JJ, kicks to Dunks, then he kicks to Stringer not to his advantage, but manages to hold his opponent back - Dahl picks up, hand ball to Caleb, back to Stringer, kicks to Picken and its all over. That passage innolved alot of pressure, and alot of small things resulting in the sealer.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
While we are on Tom Boyd love for the smaller things he did. As Lingy said about his mark and goal in the second, yes he was not manned up before the mark, but in front of nearly 100,000 people a high ball is landing on his head with Grundy running back at him to hit him (in his peripheral vision). But he stuck the mark perfect despite the pressure and the finish was ice cold execution.

All these different small things add up to a win. I don't want to steal others moments, but some smothers were bloody outstanding too.

jazzadogs
07-11-2016, 12:24 PM
While we are on Tom Boyd love for the smaller things he did. As Lingy said about his mark and goal in the second, yes he was not manned up before the mark, but in front of nearly 100,000 people a high ball is landing on his head with Grundy running back at him to hit him (in his peripheral vision). But he stuck the mark perfect despite the pressure and the finish was ice cold execution.

All these different small things add up to a win. I don't want to steal others moments, but some smothers were bloody outstanding too.

My moment is definitely Dale Morris' smother on Josh Kennedy. Kennedy and Mitchell had both got goals from stoppages, and we were about to let them get another one until Moz came from behind Kennedy and completely destroyed his attempt to kick.

The more I've watched the match, the more important I've realised Dale Morris was. He is definitely in my best 5 bulldogs on the day.

1eyedog
07-11-2016, 12:26 PM
My moment is definitely Dale Morris' smother on Josh Kennedy. Kennedy and Mitchell had both got goals from stoppages, and we were about to let them get another one until Moz came from behind Kennedy and completely destroyed his attempt to kick.

The more I've watched the match, the more important I've realised Dale Morris was. He is definitely in my best 5 bulldogs on the day.

Yep easy I have

1st Boyd
2nd Picken
3rd Morris / JJ
4th Biggs
5th Bont

G-Mo77
07-11-2016, 01:57 PM

That one was sensational. When watching the replay/s that was a really gutsy passage of play from Biggs, didn't notice it on gameday but to be honest most of the last quarter was a blur.

craigsahibee
07-11-2016, 05:34 PM
All of the above are worthy. Tom Boyd's physicality on the day was huge. Contested ball situation, Southern Stand wing, Punt Rd side of centre. Tom stayed on his feet and drove his shoulder through Jack. It left Jack stunned and sore and he struggled to get to the next contest.

bornadog
07-11-2016, 06:20 PM
All of the above are worthy. Tom Boyd's physicality on the day was huge. Contested ball situation, Southern Stand wing, Punt Rd side of centre. Tom stayed on his feet and drove his shoulder through Jack. It left Jack stunned and sore and he struggled to get to the next contest.

Yes, that one was a beauty, really hit him hard.

dukedog
07-11-2016, 08:58 PM
EW diving ball get when he cannoned into hannerbury's knee. Before that he spoiled a high ball and followed it up. Great effort.

LostDoggy
07-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Zaine's crunching tackle on Hannerbry as he tried to bust through the pack.
Left Hannerbry prostate on the 'G holding his chest.
As Zaine is getting up he pushes both his hands into Hannerbry's chest as if to say "Eat that Shit-You just ran into the Z-Train"

chef
07-11-2016, 09:16 PM

My favourite unheralded play was Dale Morris effort to dive and gather the ball when 4th in line. It occurred with 7.45 to go in the 3rd quarter (see from 1.44.00 on the above), Sydney had just hit the front and were going forward, but once Morris trapped that one I remember thinking we just want it more. We've got them. His play resulted in the Clay Smith goal that got us back in front.

Mine too.

Throughandthrough
07-11-2016, 09:42 PM

Happened right in front of me. I said to the fandoms around me that we just saw "the moment"

hujsh
07-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Zaine's crunching tackle on Hannerbry as he tried to bust through the pack.
Left Hannerbry prostate on the 'G holding his chest.
As Zaine is getting up he pushes both his hands into Hannerbry's chest as if to say "Eat that Shit-You just ran into the Z-Train"
Missed a perfect rhyming opportunity there

westdog54
08-11-2016, 12:09 AM
If you go back and take a look at some of Tom Boyd's marks, you'll see that his teammates do an outstanding job of blocking out Naismith/Tippett at these contests to give Tom a free run at the footy.

We really were coached superbly right throughout the finals series.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2016, 12:19 AM
There's a moment at half back where Dunkley is put in a shit situation. I think Hannebery lines him up with a view to a turnover and the kid has to be as strong as he can and hold the ball despite the pressure and the hit he gets, or the ball gets out and they have a shot. But the kid takes everything and holds the ball in. A wonderful statement to his strenthes as a very young premiership player.

Twodogs
08-11-2016, 12:37 AM
There's a moment at half back where Dunkley is put in a shit situation. I think Hannebery lines him up with a view to a turnover and the kid has to be as strong as he can and hold the ball despite the pressure and the hit he gets, or the ball gets out and they have a shot. But the kid takes everything and holds the ball in. A wonderful statement to his strenthes as a very young premiership player.

Only the third first year draftee to play in an AFL premiership.

LostDoggy
08-11-2016, 08:38 AM

That was a beauty. In another thread I was similarly complimentary of Dunkley's ability to withstand a fierce tackle, hold his feet and dish off in the lead up to the crucial JJ/Bont goal in the last quarter of the Prelim.

For a first year player in a role not necessarily best suited to him (he'll ultimately be much more inside), his ability to get involved and stand up in huge moments is most impressive. In the massive Biggs/Picken goal in the GF, Dunkley lays off 3 handballs in the one passage.

bornadog
08-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Not an unheralded moment, but a favourite moment.

Tom Boyd kicks his long goal and :

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zpsetvzs746.jpg?t=1478469110

Also, great reaction when Stringer passes the ball to Dickson in dying moments of Prelim:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled%202_zpsrtm5iair.jpg

LostDoggy
08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Meanwhile, 12 months earlier, Jack Darling dropped a bloody chest mark in a similar situation. I know who I would prefer, and it aint Darling.

LostDoggy
08-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Speaking of Darling, and I don't want to derail this thread, but in addition to the previous post, he also stuffed up on two occasions in the Elimination Final. One where he played on and was tackled by Suckling and caught holding the ball, instead of going back for a set shot. The other where he shit bricks when he saw Josh Dunkley coming at him so he pulled out of the contest.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-08/darling-pulls-out-after-having-a-look

Again, I know who I would prefer.

dog town
08-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Pretty much anything Macrae did on the day was unheralded. Some of his handballing and grunt work was unbelievably good. As for a moment it's been mentioned but his handball to Stringer was huge. Incredibly underrated player for some reason.

Ozza
08-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Pretty much anything Macrae did on the day was unheralded. Some of his handballing and grunt work was unbelievably good. As for a moment it's been mentioned but his handball to Stringer was huge. Incredibly underrated player for some reason.

Yep, Macrae is the definition of 'unheralded'. Only the Bont has hands like Macrae - his ability to 'one-grab' in a tight spot and shovel it out to one of his team mates is extraordinary.

LostDoggy
08-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Agree 100% on Macrae. For a player whose kicking has been maligned at times, his kicking through the finals was superb. His ability to sum up a situation (even in traffic) and find the best option, often at unusual angles, is first rate. The more I watch replays of the finals, the more I appreciate what a massive asset he is. Our midfield really is exceptionally good and will be for a long time.

The Pie Man
08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
The Biggs smother/tackle follow up is my favourite minute of the game....probably of my life...but outside of this.

The Bont sidestep in the 2nd quarter to find room to kick it to T Boyd in the GSS pocket (Nice LFS from big Tom too)
The Libba blind turn to dart away from the pack on the wing and kick it forward half way through the last.

Imagine if Stringer held that mark from the Cordy kick half way through the last (Stringer....StringAARGHH)

That Roughead mark from the Rampe kick in was soooo important - put to death an extension of the curse. Great steadying moment from a bloke who nearly didn't play, and whose spot in the side was questioned by the likes of Matty Lloyd late in the season.

dukedog
08-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Im not sure why macrae has had people attacking his kicking. He has been a player beyond his years since he has started. He works so hard off the ball with his running. One of my fave players to watch since he started. Silky smooth. Loved when he kicked the goal in the gws game. The family in law seen the other side of me that night!!!

Twodogs
08-11-2016, 06:42 PM
What I love most about Jack Macrae and Jake Stringer is we pinched them from under GWS's nose.

hujsh
08-11-2016, 07:57 PM
What I love most about Jack Macrae and Jake Stringer is we pinched them from under GWS's nose.

/They weren't smart enough to pick them before us

AndrewP6
08-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Im not sure why macrae has had people attacking his kicking. He has been a player beyond his years since he has started. He works so hard off the ball with his running. One of my fave players to watch since he started. Silky smooth. Loved when he kicked the goal in the gws game. The family in law seen the other side of me that night!!!

I've been guilty of being critical of him, but he ranked 16th for effective disposal this season, 20 per game.

Twodogs
08-11-2016, 09:00 PM
It's more the fact that for a while Jack just wouldn't kick with his opposite side and it got frustrating because he'd get into great position but not be able to kick the ball because he was on his right foot-I'm pretty sure he's a left footer. So it wasn't so much his kicking it was his lack of a right foot. Those hands cover for a problem that wasn't a problem during the finals.

Sedat
08-11-2016, 09:39 PM
The only time I'm nervous with the ball in Macrae's hand is when he is having a set shot for goal. He is a wonderful compliment to our midfield with his inside/outside game and his amazing workrate to gut run both ways. His tackling numbers are exceptional and I daresay would surprise most people.

Twodogs
08-11-2016, 10:12 PM
I'd say that I'm not confident when Jack is lining up but he went back and nailed the most important set shot any bulldog player has taken in more than 50 years.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Back on track of the thread, in the third quarter, Jack standing under a high ball knowing he was going to be crunched and didn't flinch at all. Not one bit. Shame he missed the goal, but great leadership to take his turn, as he always does.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Macrae had a massive finals series, it was a truly remarkable effort given his injury.

Thought he was in our best 3 for the finals. His handballs, poise and vision were absolutely sublime. That piece of play following Biggs' amazing efforts where Macrae was able to show poise and deliver the ball beautifully to McLean (which then fell to Picken and resulted in a goal) highlights his importance.

LostDoggy
09-11-2016, 12:37 AM
I've been guilty of being critical of him, but he ranked 16th for effective disposal this season, 20 per game.

20 effective, thats huge!

Twodogs
09-11-2016, 01:00 AM
Magic Maclean's goal just before half time. I can remember looking up at the scoreboard and thinking that us getting a goal before halftime would make things really interesting, actually my exact words was "we desperately need a goal before halftime." And Toby came through. Not only did he kick the goal, he also kicked the ball to the goalsquare in the first place. And he kicked it at exactly the right time just before the halftime siren so it gave us some momentum going into half time and the second half.

westdog54
09-11-2016, 06:31 AM

His kick to McLean that set up Picken's second goal was absolutely sublime in heavy traffic. Was perfectly weighted and McLean was unlucky not to have the shot on goal, but Picken slotting the goal on the run made for a louder reaction.

bornadog
09-11-2016, 10:18 AM
His kick to McLean that set up Picken's second goal was absolutely sublime in heavy traffic. Was perfectly weighted and McLean was unlucky not to have the shot on goal, but Picken slotting the goal on the run made for a louder reaction.

Macrae was involved in several goals. On top of the above one, he handballed to Dickson in the 3rd quarter, and Dicko kicked it, plus the handball to Stringer in the last. There are three I can think of where his disposal was one before a goal.

Topdog
09-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Macrae was involved in several goals. On top of the above one, he handballed to Dickson in the 3rd quarter, and Dicko kicked it, plus the handball to Stringer in the last. There are three I can think of where his disposal was one before a goal.

Official stats have him with 2 goal assists and 10 score involvements which is just huge

merantau
09-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Picken's 2nd goal ended one of the longest stanzas of intense pressure ever seen at the "G". From the time Biggs charged down the kick to the time the ball went through the big sticks 45 seconds elapsed and multiple desperate acts occurred. Shane Biggs' efforts will never be forgotten.

Twodogs
09-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Picken's 2nd goal ended one of the longest stanzas of intense pressure ever seen at the "G". From the time Biggs charged down the kick to the time the ball went through the big sticks 45 seconds elapsed and multiple desperate acts occurred. Shane Biggs' efforts will never be forgotten.

Just the sort of thing that becomes legend. Already is legend

BornInDroopSt'54
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Unheralded Grand Final moments... hmmm... having a coldish meat pie with sauce and hot chips with a tonne of salt and vinegar before the game. ;)

It's great that you managed to get there!

Bulldog4life
10-11-2016, 04:59 PM
That was a beauty. In another thread I was similarly complimentary of Dunkley's ability to withstand a fierce tackle, hold his feet and dish off in the lead up to the crucial JJ/Bont goal in the last quarter of the Prelim.

For a first year player in a role not necessarily best suited to him (he'll ultimately be much more inside), his ability to get involved and stand up in huge moments is most impressive. In the massive Biggs/Picken goal in the GF, Dunkley lays off 3 handballs in the one passage.

Dunkley's tackle rate for the season was superb too. He came 5th overall for amount of tackles for the season. A remarkable effort for a first year player.

The Doctor
10-11-2016, 05:48 PM
I agree with everyone about the Wall of Biggs. Especially the 2nd smother because if you look closely at it his opponent from the 1st contest Papley is still on the ground from that contest. So Biggs recovery and urgency to get back on his feet and get to the next contest was outstanding. This was the sort of difference between the teams in the last 1/4. Biggs deserves so much credit. This all happened right in front of me as well. I was going bonkers.

Also loved Clay Smith's charge in the last. It didn't come to anything but it was the take em on at all costs approach that typified his and our whole final series.

Also loved seeing on the replay the 3/4 time huddle as Bevo is delivering the message. It was just how tight the huddle was and they all looked so eagerly at him. The eye of the tiger was there and you could see they would run through brick walls for him. That was awesome to see.

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 10:32 PM
I agree with everyone about the Wall of Biggs. Especially the 2nd smother because if you look closely at it his opponent from the 1st contest Papley is still on the ground from that contest. So Biggs recovery and urgency to get back on his feet and get to the next contest was outstanding. This was the sort of difference between the teams in the last 1/4. Biggs deserves so much credit. This all happened right in front of me as well. I was going bonkers.

Also loved Clay Smith's charge in the last. It didn't come to anything but it was the take em on at all costs approach that typified his and our whole final series.

Also loved seeing on the replay the 3/4 time huddle as Bevo is delivering the message. It was just how tight the huddle was and they all looked so eagerly at him. The eye of the tiger was there and you could see they would run through brick walls for him. That was awesome to see.

I haven't seen that replay. It's probably on YouTube.

The Swans players will watch the replay of Biggs mega effort in their review too. The coaches will want figure out why five of them couldn't get it past one bulldog player even though they each had a go at trying. The fact he is an ex teammate is going to really grate.

It's the sort of effort you see and think "That deserves a goal" and it got one. A big one.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Wood won the toss. Gave us an early cheer.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2016, 11:06 PM
... Can we re-live the whole day again?

From beer #1 at Transport Bar around 10am, it was the perfect day and night.

merantau
11-11-2016, 05:32 AM

"The Wall of Biggs." Brilliant.

merantau
11-11-2016, 05:32 AM

"The Wall of Biggs." Brilliant.

bornadog
11-11-2016, 09:57 AM
2nd quarter, ball in forward pocket, on boundary line 40 metres out. Libba dives on the ball, and gives a brilliant handball to The Bont, who finds Tom Boyd on the boundary, 1 metre from point post. 90,0000 Bulldogs fans thinking, he won't kick that, but Tommy kicks a left foot beauty.

*Libba - Great handball in traffic.

*The Bont - Great 40 metre pass to TBoyd in heavy traffic

*Tom Boyd - Great mark and great left foot goal on the tightest of angles.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 05:54 PM
1st quarter, ball in forward pocket, on boundary line 40 metres out. Libba dives on the ball, and gives a brilliant handball to The Bont, who finds Tom Boyd on the boundary, 1 metre from point post. 90,0000 Bulldogs fans thinking, he won't kick that, but Tommy kicks a left foot beauty.

*Libba - Great handball in traffic.

*The Bont - Great 40 metre pass to TBoyd in heavy traffic

*Tom Boyd - Great mark and great left foot goal on the tightest of angles.

That pass from the Bont to Boyd was

Topdog
11-11-2016, 06:46 PM
In the second quarter wasn't it

Flamethrower
11-11-2016, 08:27 PM
The Zaine Cordy tackle of Callum Mills in the 1st quarter set the tone for the afternoon. It confirmed that Sydney had fallen for the trap of playing underdone players in big finals (Mills looked like a deer in the headlights out there), and that the Dogs were not going to allow the Swans to blow the game apart by quarter time.

All week we heard the same - can the Dogs stay within a couple of goals in the 1st quarter - we did better than that - we were in front at quarter time. We didn't win the game in the 1st quarter, but we didn't lose it either, and all those know-alls saying the occasion would be too big for us, and we had played our Grand Final at Spotless the week before WERE WRONG.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 08:47 PM

Yep. Right at the start. I was still getting back to my seat. Saw the pass and replays on a screen and then the goal standing at the back of the seats. Might have even been still on our first play.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 08:54 PM
The Zaine Cordy tackle of Callum Mills in the 1st quarter set the tone for the afternoon. It confirmed that Sydney had fallen for the trap of playing underdone players in big finals (Mills looked like a deer in the headlights out there), and that the Dogs were not going to allow the Swans to blow the game apart by quarter time.

All week we heard the same - can the Dogs stay within a couple of goals in the 1st quarter - we did better than that - we were in front at quarter time. We didn't win the game in the 1st quarter, but we didn't lose it either, and all those know-alls saying the occasion would be too big for us, and we had played our Grand Final at Spotless the week before WERE WRONG.

I kept an eye out for Mills and McVeigh to see how they pulled up after contests and Mills was struggling already. That tackle almost finished him for the afternoon. Zaine has that happy knack of enjoying hurting people, it's a priceless trait in a player

bornadog
11-11-2016, 11:57 PM

Yes it was not sure why I typed 1st. Fixed now

bulldogtragic
12-11-2016, 03:19 AM
I kept an eye out for Mills and McVeigh to see how they pulled up after contests and Mills was struggling already. That tackle almost finished him for the afternoon. Zaine has that happy knack of enjoying hurting people, it's a priceless trait in a player

Zaine then gave a forceful double fisted shove into the chest as he got up from the ground after the first bone crunching tackle. I liked that nearly just as much as the huge tackle.

bornadog
12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Zaine then gave a forceful double fisted shove into the chest as he got up from the ground after the first bone crunching tackle. I liked that nearly just as much as the huge tackle.

Love his aggressiveness for such a young bloke too.

Twodogs
12-11-2016, 07:20 PM
We've gotten some tough kids onboard the last few years. Zaine Cordy, Josh Dunkley looks like he'd rather have a fight than a feed(he even sounds scary-just ask Jack darling,) I wouldn't want to find myself between the footy and Clay Smirh. Or Mitch Wallis come to that. Even Jack Redpath.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2016, 09:22 PM
We've gotten some tough kids onboard the last few years. Zaine Cordy, Josh Dunkley looks like he'd rather have a fight than a feed(he even sounds scary-just ask Jack darling,) I wouldn't want to find myself between the footy and Clay Smirh. Or Mitch Wallis come to that. Even Jack Redpath.

Ok, run in a straight line at Tom Boyd & Tom Liberatore then. Good luck with that. When you get out of your coma, come back down to WO and run at Keiran Collins. If you're still alive, come back for a crack at Picken and run back into Travis Cloke. Then it's all easy from there, just running into hard nuts like Macrae, Jong, Stringer, Matt Boyd & Dale Morris who all never shirk a contest. What I love is we are genuinely tough, as hard as you get at the contest. Not snipers or faux tough men throwing elbows around.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
How dirty are GWS going up with boots and elbows out

Twodogs
13-11-2016, 12:05 AM
Ok, run in a straight line at Tom Boyd & Tom Liberatore then. Good luck with that. When you get out of your coma, come back down to WO and run at Keiran Collins. If you're still alive, come back for a crack at Picken and run back into Travis Cloke. Then it's all easy from there, just running into hard nuts like Macrae, Jong, Stringer, Matt Boyd & Dale Morris who all never shirk a contest. What I love is we are genuinely tough, as hard as you get at the contest. Not snipers or faux tough men throwing elbows around.

I wears watching the grand final this morning and in one piece of play Libba applies 4 or 5 bone crunching tackles in a row. It's quite funny because he keeps running out of shot, probably to man up, then flying oiUt of nowhere to tackle a Swans player

Ghost Dog
13-11-2016, 09:05 AM
How dirty are GWS going up with boots and elbows out

Well, they probably say the same about us. Callan Ward a case in point.

AndrewP6
13-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Well, they probably say the same about us. Callan Ward a case in point.

Knocked out in accidental contact during a marking contest. Nothing wrong with that.

1eyedog
13-11-2016, 12:03 PM

It's funny isn't it. On the neutral side of the white line Josh would be the quietest, politest most mild-mannered young man I've ever met. Clearly has a severe case of white line fever.

Torpedo
14-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
"His kick to McLean that set up Picken's second goal was absolutely sublime in heavy traffic. Was perfectly weighted and McLean was unlucky not to have the shot on goal, but Picken slotting the goal on the run made for a louder reaction".

Made even better by the fact that he took his time to size up the options knowing he was going to be crunched by an oncoming Swan defender. As Mclean goes for the mark you can see Jack lying on the ground. Bought the time, took the hit, set up a great goal.

S Coast Simon
15-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Poor Jack Darling will be having nightmares. Didn't he shirk the issue in last years grand final exactly the same. Not filling your coach with confidence you will have your turn. Can't imagine any of our kids doing that little lone a senior player

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Poor Jack Darling will be having nightmares. Didn't he shirk the issue in last years grand final exactly the same. Not filling your coach with confidence you will have your turn. Can't imagine any of our kids doing that little lone a senior player

Everybody does it. Just not so obviously nor in worse times and places.

And first year kids don't normally scare grown men.

choconmientay
15-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Magic Maclean's goal just before half time. I can remember looking up at the scoreboard and thinking that us getting a goal before halftime would make things really interesting, actually my exact words was "we desperately need a goal before halftime." And Toby came through. Not only did he kick the goal, he also kicked the ball to the goalsquare in the first place. And he kicked it at exactly the right time just before the halftime siren so it gave us some momentum going into half time and the second half.

Here you go:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JUrl-u_tzCTTCWMruGR4BTDuiWhfusDrRVjDTREKr5Ka-50L61UMuQ9RIfRqfutlXHaWxDnu6DZtbz9LXtN9i_orlsvBL9WJC3k5Q85pK zhsMAfLn2NX50zpTGLoYcejxipetNWI6cPx5GJOaO5szLR1Ta1bpMV88wSAQ z1WwI7crZQX80hj8GT9xB-xcnn8GIDPQtUPVvhILn6yMrLtqOc_jKn_EHoUV6qHX0Zzh_l5TC0k-HBMX9PZNspDlwC4o7mz4bCF0yasB3uR2nJWJtrmWsUjzYzP0uMwYFSCuCNx2 A8TWDp9UG8v01RwC6HhFaqRrX2KYWawg-1XfeFNSVWi9RuRr7M4T38oqT-sljtyUgKr1MHoJIvaA_5u3lnM3Y0xfTMucigb18dqwR7UFNTe6p0ngl74yGj aSj1nTxTsREgXeBZ_tQcJJYsVIBrdIR9PKXG3NiPOxmF65TKhqtkeCWd-bhNn2UHBDTsCe0wIjHFpzJzx1Xcw0vpZfinwlj1ZF3zefvFVvAMecmlu_BVZ Z_r0wLlk5kSpi3Jd0zRO7fK6O0mCfKKQQFexphyJNPLAu6vBkgdx2izE24cX cW8sxYMI9eG8LR3_Rpo7QXVmz95_=w512-h288-no

choconmientay
15-11-2016, 02:09 PM

Here it is:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2N5nQhEfllA6LuJWojbw_39QAsXM_Gs1ggQnJkH7vnjkxDWkrhKJqBosv-NBnFCYUcUKimvEBC9RvAHXE3DCjLQG8_9XYqAcSqW1jIZ6JbvgFE1YmhO58J 8ado3dy9IY9j0EjYtpPLUiDKw7ztBgpx8tnyh5PGNNeGuCWbHt_OwFYH2TAK skZpCruGxiYR0S80ZgOsQ2Bz0tE64BxNmd-lHxg7ELL9ORSp48OP4qzmeCgTJmgFvHlCiXws73f7KjQrjCiRKc_BCPC04Gc FPbAk6_DL2B4QquUFWbGIxmfOF3EtyXz2CMVbmPEHD8iHRJ6GKoiifbNq7Ms 9fgXqGQIgVAvh_C5lxWTklDd-r8Y4gzmX8YdmBFaWaKXISnYhLRJMTVXD0H5jllGB5WaqIeGn_udCZntvGLv1 3f-I3xuAFye78E2sMvqB52hvta95c1UZG_1vhdt2TtHuadRAdyHQBEQR7rERjhx W0YrtUYFOWamaDXj1efvdQ8bW79CiQJsy44-o8gn67GkgUP44tMKP1dAx_sbZEMM_aUm8gKr_TwIL5LqB5gRWNrx27NpNypV xkoIpR3Xs0NFTv8F_AQGg9RxMAX-5sVqIrUMQPhQveQ3tQV=w486-h273-no

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Here you go:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JUrl-u_tzCTTCWMruGR4BTDuiWhfusDrRVjDTREKr5Ka-50L61UMuQ9RIfRqfutlXHaWxDnu6DZtbz9LXtN9i_orlsvBL9WJC3k5Q85pK zhsMAfLn2NX50zpTGLoYcejxipetNWI6cPx5GJOaO5szLR1Ta1bpMV88wSAQ z1WwI7crZQX80hj8GT9xB-xcnn8GIDPQtUPVvhILn6yMrLtqOc_jKn_EHoUV6qHX0Zzh_l5TC0k-HBMX9PZNspDlwC4o7mz4bCF0yasB3uR2nJWJtrmWsUjzYzP0uMwYFSCuCNx2 A8TWDp9UG8v01RwC6HhFaqRrX2KYWawg-1XfeFNSVWi9RuRr7M4T38oqT-sljtyUgKr1MHoJIvaA_5u3lnM3Y0xfTMucigb18dqwR7UFNTe6p0ngl74yGj aSj1nTxTsREgXeBZ_tQcJJYsVIBrdIR9PKXG3NiPOxmF65TKhqtkeCWd-bhNn2UHBDTsCe0wIjHFpzJzx1Xcw0vpZfinwlj1ZF3zefvFVvAMecmlu_BVZ Z_r0wLlk5kSpi3Jd0zRO7fK6O0mCfKKQQFexphyJNPLAu6vBkgdx2izE24cX cW8sxYMI9eG8LR3_Rpo7QXVmz95_=w512-h288-no

How does he have time to get goal side of the ball when he kicked it up there in the first place. I could understand if he was on the same side that the kick came from but that's a lot of running he does at the back end of a half of footy.

Here it is:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2N5nQhEfllA6LuJWojbw_39QAsXM_Gs1ggQnJkH7vnjkxDWkrhKJqBosv-NBnFCYUcUKimvEBC9RvAHXE3DCjLQG8_9XYqAcSqW1jIZ6JbvgFE1YmhO58J 8ado3dy9IY9j0EjYtpPLUiDKw7ztBgpx8tnyh5PGNNeGuCWbHt_OwFYH2TAK skZpCruGxiYR0S80ZgOsQ2Bz0tE64BxNmd-lHxg7ELL9ORSp48OP4qzmeCgTJmgFvHlCiXws73f7KjQrjCiRKc_BCPC04Gc FPbAk6_DL2B4QquUFWbGIxmfOF3EtyXz2CMVbmPEHD8iHRJ6GKoiifbNq7Ms 9fgXqGQIgVAvh_C5lxWTklDd-r8Y4gzmX8YdmBFaWaKXISnYhLRJMTVXD0H5jllGB5WaqIeGn_udCZntvGLv1 3f-I3xuAFye78E2sMvqB52hvta95c1UZG_1vhdt2TtHuadRAdyHQBEQR7rERjhx W0YrtUYFOWamaDXj1efvdQ8bW79CiQJsy44-o8gn67GkgUP44tMKP1dAx_sbZEMM_aUm8gKr_TwIL5LqB5gRWNrx27NpNypV xkoIpR3Xs0NFTv8F_AQGg9RxMAX-5sVqIrUMQPhQveQ3tQV=w486-h273-no

Hunter had the tackle arms out too and tackles the ball carrier when the ball stays in the zone as well.

choconmientay
15-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Fittingly this abc article describe some of the 'unheralded' moments which some of us already highlighted in this thread.

Western Bulldogs' moments of magic that decided the 2016 premiership (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-01/the-moments-that-won-the-western-bulldogs-the-2016-grand-final/7895642)

The other moment from Easton Wood in the first quarter hasn't got any mention but the author described it quite nicely ...

Easton Wood wins his 50-50

It was early days and a goal apiece in the first quarter, when a squaring kick hung at half-forward for the Bulldogs. Isaac Heeney was in pole position.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zHwKjiMk-8Nei25aqyWAVaxaWhu12LYaz_4FYLxCkKeUBeOWpQMf4e_zTmIrC1BgNhxGz iscxa_1hbBS5TsAv2i-OdS5DWPKhX3V0F1jDxMwu7QA7zv4574nynSpqIwj9NcLqQf8JKiafUlQYKir _V6DZhQcpB_S7fAHiwbPm0778IlETvrC8DafCexQHZFDfoLwcfKLKuFnQbRB f15NSq1-SCHCwYuPzbwKr9h1p8c9CE1FDHlBo_-VylLoCYZSxVKQrRiZL7Bl-n81d4uIJBSOp9X9VO50Hk2v_N5nWbpCHOWR5EvdVryuKtQh0C4aYQkSbdIOb OCIAJt_1XTcwIj7GXUS1pqnvWo1pfElDpvYuogRs0WtMyV5LwUshtxMuBNYU bxZRG1rca89GyWMLMcdfzPDgBQEFWKOZ0Exfz1FUYwpZCFEEARoBzk08uFzT EPLGNiR-TqhBGLrVrZUQ5Q4oyIbmMOL7X4yMbjWmbKS2wblg5d0aj0zJoI7yAsMdNzed e17nJozICny-9bh4TFG_GpKJTU64bzJU326Unv_yaWobwjItHdijmOUAdHv5g9qmo9JuTavd aZO-pdhgxvEYTeUYALUGB8smIaiYEdyzJkp=w391-h220-no
Easton Wood spoils Isaac Heeney gif

You can bet Easton Wood knew his team-mates were looking at him for leadership in this moment, and so he unflinchingly committed to the cause.

He did not take the mark, but he won the ball. Lachie Hunter profited on Wood's commitment and spotted up Tory Dickson, who made no mistake.

Wood stood up time and again during the game, but the skipper made his biggest mark earliest and the Bulldogs never looked back.

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 03:46 PM
His whole grand final from winning the toss to lifting the cup was a bloody good captain's knock from Easton Wood. In that one for instance he really puts his body on the line and to retain enough presence of mind to tap it to Hunter is such smart and courageous footy. He kept getting little things like that right all day.

choconmientay
15-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Hunter had the tackle arms out too and tackles the ball carrier when the ball stays in the zone as well.

Hunter efforts were great ...

... the pinpoint kick to Dickson resulted in a goal.

... he's also not bad with the overhead handball in this play ...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Fq2s6FYCCxm8F_g5SIwpRdxmwkkKo7CQlcKUb35FTyLeklhD1m_6TA53dttS jK6AfENYM6-ngw94Q5VHnE3-EAU6dvq7fCI4ngVQsjuz6J2e1rchVIbn_SIDwo_fNN9YC1tvMP3NosqvmhkM jE12sgKaixY3NqwtdyP42eKP-A562fFM4KMRn6JaYzZfQdmlQTDoVb9KeIGgb46NfzTIPKBjydKRyrvBpycdW SWPd6Sf-V40Z__wmHVx8Y3zMbG0xrVVPZsYfGnb3q2_EhV_7kMdFlj26KwwpuwStnW-smbdAhhSTHvl4Ob-n-oTdLBwV9gsEiC9yzTiaThpFaiZyqZxlTAP05h-piBbmYw196qAdztc9Etwm47ZyGqq8tVaEH-eSoNbWvZdSqps-4HrXVGyQsqtmc9pk6El_e5Y16ulzh2X5TVKl-DUkYvLNP2C_AfjXmxzE0CG9a05O6pP5nSyO4hTCo2p-tZaizZllxl-nE9TH9iwtfXnlVNFmjlloPfMlBl9MtfUtRxALgblq02dij1S1EaoX5sII8dH w-QRIHKVxrCeab2BVBwe1WQ_k2y_EbF6fGNnWTsOtVsktxdVImPot24mosc3Ar sNm2l83o6R=w486-h273-no

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 05:15 PM
That handball was great. Not one Sydney player cried throw incidentally. It can't be easy to pull off that skill while you're being dragged to the ground.

1eyedog
15-11-2016, 10:52 PM
That handball was great. Not one Sydney player cried throw incidentally. It can't be easy to pull off that skill while you're being dragged to the ground.

That handball to Macrae that set up Stringer was dodgy as. Certainly more dodgy than the overhead one.

Twodogs
15-11-2016, 10:55 PM
That handball to Macrae that set up Stringer was dodgy as. Certainly more dodgy than the overhead one.

They were facing each other surrounded by Sydney players yeah? I remember the goal from that play but I'm trying to think back before it.

The Doctor
16-11-2016, 12:21 AM
What about the 3 early set shots we nailed by Cordy, Dickson and Boyd. None of them easy. Miss those and we're 0.3.3

Our early accuracy was massive.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2016, 03:09 PM
What about the 3 early set shots we nailed by Cordy, Dickson and Boyd. None of them easy. Miss those and we're 0.3.3

Our early accuracy was massive.

7.1 in the first half, and the behind was rushed as it was going to bounce through from a goal from Libba. I'm pretty sure that's our most accurate first half for the year. Great snaps from Dicko & McLean too in the second. Good time to pull it out!

bulldogtragic
05-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Thought it would be good to get some views on some unheralded moments in the Grand Final. Some big plays were made all day by nearly everyone, if not evyone. But there's moments each time I watch the replay and think to myself, I'm so happy he took that moment.

And yours? A bump, handball, tackle, spoil, shepherd, pass, run or otherwise unhalded moment.

Finally got around to watching the Mike Sheahan special. So happy that Bevo rated the Roughy mark as critical too. Such an important contested mark in the scheme of the win. Cometti was 100% right, we fear these things (the illegimate JJ goal reversal), but thanks to that Roughy contested Mark, we don't fear them anymore.

Twodogs
05-04-2017, 10:11 PM
7.1 in the first half, and the behind was rushed as it was going to bounce through from a goal from Libba. I'm pretty sure that's our most accurate first half for the year. Great snaps from Dicko & McLean too in the second. Good time to pull it out!

I hate inaccurate kicking for goal and complain about it a lot. But I remember looking up at the score board at halftime and thinking "what a great day to pull a scoreline like that out" we kicked 6.10 after halftime. I'd have been bloody annoyed if we were 6.10 at halftime in the GF.

1eyedog
05-04-2017, 10:30 PM
What Prelim was it where we couldn't hit the side of a barn? Against Geelong? I remember it being the sole reason we didn't play in the Grand Final cause we had them drawn and quartered for the entire last quarter.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2017, 10:48 PM
What Prelim was it where we couldn't hit the side of a barn? Against Geelong? I remember it being the sole reason we didn't play in the Grand Final cause we had them drawn and quartered for the entire last quarter.

2008. Eagleton, Minson & Gilbee I think we're the main bad misses. I think Eagleton failed to make the distance from 40m.

1eyedog
05-04-2017, 11:42 PM
2008. Eagleton, Minson & Gilbee I think we're the main bad misses. I think Eagleton failed to make the distance from 40m.
I remember Minson missing a pretty straight forward one and just knowing it wasn't going to end well.

westdog54
06-04-2017, 12:02 AM

I have a vague recollection of TCD starting a thread entitled "Kick a *!*!*!*!ing goal!" a day or two later.

westdog54
06-04-2017, 12:06 AM

Watching the DVD, there's a passage of play in the first quarter where Morris flies for a mark, gets pushed in mid air y Gary Rohan, and lands square in the middle of his back.

Looking back now, how agonizingly painful most that have been for Moz?

The Doctor
06-04-2017, 12:23 AM
I want to go to last year's grand final again

Twodogs
06-04-2017, 12:42 AM
That 2008 was pretty bad. Eagleton missed an easy goal in each quarter.

comrade
06-04-2017, 07:53 AM
That 2008 was pretty bad. Eagleton missed an easy goal in each quarter.

I'm surprised Mantis survived that game :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-04-2017, 08:14 AM

I think Higgins missed an easy one too.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2017, 09:31 AM
I think Higgins missed an easy one too.

Probably. I've tried to erase it from my memory, we had them on the ground, foot on their throat, and we choked badly. But we are reigning premiers, so I'm now like, whatever never mind.

The Pie Man
06-04-2017, 10:49 AM
I remember Minson missing a pretty straight forward one and just knowing it wasn't going to end well.

Minson's miss from roughly 30 out in the 3rd was very deflating - the crowd was up and about after he marked on the lead, and he'd normally been a pretty reliable shot at goal up to that point.

I remember M Boyd slicing a set shot of the side of his boot at the start of the last quarter when were a chance to narrow it to 2 goals. Wind sucked right out of us.

Such a frustrating night.

Thank .... for 2016

bulldogtragic
06-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Watching the DVD, there's a passage of play in the first quarter where Morris flies for a mark, gets pushed in mid air y Gary Rohan, and lands square in the middle of his back.

Looking back now, how agonizingly painful most that have been for Moz?

Yep. Watching him talk to Mike Sheahan about playing in immense pain, and how he 'goes until he can't go anymore, and then keep going', I was thinking if he wasn't a footballer he'd be an elite SAS soldier. I don't know how he did it, other than he's Dale Morris and that's the stuff that Dale Morris does.

LostDoggy
06-04-2017, 12:00 PM
That '08 Prelim hurts. When I think back, the number one thing that stands out for me are also the missed opportunities at goal. I can recall all those missed goals that have been mentioned in the past few posts.

I don't think we would have come close to the Hawks, though.

In 2009, different story. I reckon we would have been a good chance to beat Geelong.

Twodogs
06-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Yep. Watching him talk to Mike Sheahan about playing in immense pain, and how he 'goes until he can't go anymore, and then keep going', I was thinking if he wasn't a footballer he'd be an elite SAS soldier. I don't know how he did it, other than he's Dale Morris and that's the stuff that Dale Morris does.

I reckon if you did know how he did it then it would make it all the more amazing. Ex footballers must watch it and think all sorts of things.

That '08 Prelim hurts. When I think back, the number one thing that stands out for me are also the missed opportunities at goal. I can recall all those missed goals that have been mentioned in the past few posts.

I don't think we would have come close to the Hawks, though.

In 2009, different story. I reckon we would have been a good chance to beat Geelong.

A lot of the pain of all those prelims has washed away for me. I'm still a bit annoyed about 1997 because it was just so spectacularly stupid and idiotic and we were a fair chance against the Crows the next week.

KT31
06-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I reckon if you did know how he did it then it would make it all the more amazing. Ex footballers must watch it and think all sorts of things.

A lot of the pain of all those prelims has washed away for me. I'm still a bit annoyed about 1997 because it was just so spectacularly stupid and idiotic and we were a fair chance against the Crows the next week.

We would have smashed the Saints.

Twodogs
06-04-2017, 03:25 PM
We would have smashed the Saints.

That's how traumatic it was. I wanted to play the bastards again. Next week!