Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the premiers Lewis.

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:36 PM
A tall forward

jeemak
25-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Eastdog's encroaching on your turf GvGjr. :)

Bulldog4life
25-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Eastdog's encroaching on your turf GvGjr. :)

Easty wants to be the big dog

G-Mo77
25-11-2016, 09:39 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/athletic-tall-lewis-young-turning-heads-after-standout-draft-combine/news-story/3c526dbd08a1eaa3420784e472ee3cce

Eastdog
Sorry GVG thought I'd get in for this one.

choconmientay
PRIDE OF SA

Name: Lewis Young

Club: Sturt

Height: 197cm

Weight: 90kg

Position: Ruckman/Forward
CLUB SAYS

“Lewis has great character and is a player who has tremendous upside. He’s still raw but he’s an excellent size, has terrific speed and agility for his height and can mark the ball well. We’ve already seen a big improvement in him this year and with time he could develop into something special.’’

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/59ab332e72478424bd09301d3d3747e3?width=1024

https://youtu.be/5WWUC2BFYy4

Extracted from HS:

IN four hours of exhilarating power and athleticism, giant Sturt teenager Lewis Young went from draft smoky to turning heads.

Having already caught the eye of a handful of AFL clubs, the 197cm, 90kg former basketballer has been one of the most scrutinised and interviewed players in recent weeks after a standout display at the SA Draft Combine.

Young, 17 and only eligible for the draft by 11 days, blew clubs away with his 2.97 second time for the 20m run — second-best of the 17 players who tested, behind only South Adelaide’s Dylan Whimpress (2.91).

He also was a standout in the vertical jump.
AFL draft prospect Lewis Young at the Double Blues Headquarters at Unley. Picture Sarah Reed

Young’s “wow’’ factor has seen 12 clubs interview him in the lead-up to the draft.

A late bloomer after focusing more on basketball — he played at under-16 State level — than football until last year, Young’s blistering speed and athleticism for his height has clubs excited by his potential.

“I was pleased with my combine, a lot of clubs seemed happy with my athletic work,’’ said Young, who played one league game for premier Sturt last season against North Adelaide in round 21.

“I’m pretty raw in football terms because I’ve only made football my priority in the past two seasons and have progressed from under-16s through to league footy pretty quickly.

“But clubs seem to be looking at my upside and thinking where I might be in three years.

“I still need to put on some weight but I think I’ve got the potential to improve a lot.’’
Lewis Young at the Double Blues Headquarters at Unley. Picture Sarah Reed

Young, who made this year’s State under-18 team under the guidance of SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips, is modelling his game on rising Melbourne star, key forward Jesse Hogan.

“Unless I keep growing I’ll probably be too small to play as a ruckman in the AFL so I’m working on my key forward work, including my goalkicking,’’ Young said.

“I think I’m pretty versatile and could also play down back or as a high half-forward.’’

As one of this year’s draft bolters and youngest players in the pool, Young is not concerned where he might fall in the drafts, as long as he finds an AFL home.

“The number doesn’t matter,’’ he said.

“Clubs tell me that once you walk in the door the pick number is insignificant and that whether you are pick one or pick 100 all players are on an even keel.

“It’s been my dream since I was a little kid to be a professional sportsman and if I do get selected it will be the best day of my life.’

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Some fantastic combine numbers. We are going big tonight.

LostDoggy
25-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the Premiers(Geez I'll never get sick of saying that) Lewy:)

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 09:49 PM
I got the stats to back you up Easty ;)

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 09:50 PM

You can do the next one Easty. Thanks

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:51 PM
You can do the next one Easty. Thanks

Cheers GVG.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-11-2016, 09:58 PM
A really intriguing skillset.. Absolutely fits a need but is going to need time. We've really gone long this draft.

G-Mo77
25-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Seems like a real long shot with this one.

Bulldog4life
25-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Seems like a real long shot with this one.

Young’s “wow’’ factor has seen 12 clubs interview him in the lead-up to the draft. According to one of the posts above.

KT31
25-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the Premiers young Lewis.

lemmon
26-11-2016, 09:46 AM
He feels like a kid that would've been extremely highly rated next year if no one took him. He's probably the true 'project' of this draft crop

soupman
26-11-2016, 09:57 AM
He feels like a kid that would've been extremely highly rated next year if no one took him. He's probably the true 'project' of this draft crop

Don't you dare pull out the Scott Clayton classic: "We think he would have been a top 10 draft pick next year" (applied to Wight, Skipper and O'Shea I believe)

The Doctor
26-11-2016, 10:29 AM
I like big guys who can take pack marks.

We have some serious marking power at the club right now with Roughie, Toyd, Cloke, Wood, Adams and this 'young' fellow!

Welcome to the dynasty Lewis

comrade
26-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Don't you dare pull out the Scott Clayton classic: "We think he would have been a top 10 draft pick next year" (applied to Wight, Skipper and O'Shea I believe)

At first glance, it's definitely the most Clayton-esque draft that Dalrymple has produced.

With Bevo at the helm, and a gun development set up with Footscray (2 unknowns getting drafted!), we're in a much better position to take these players than we were in the 2000s.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2016, 10:36 AM

And Steve Tiller.

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 10:55 AM
And Steve Tiller.

Tiller was the most talented of that group. He used to torch Chris Grant at training and not many did that.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Tiller was the most talented of that group. He used to torch Chris Grant at training and not many did that.

I was always bullish about Tiller. Shame he didn't make it.

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 11:23 AM
I was always bullish about Tiller. Shame he didn't make it.

He had a chronic lack of confidence. It's not something I understand myself.

Bulldog4life
26-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Lewis Young excited to move to AFL premier Western Bulldogs.

STURT forward Lewis Young only scraped into the national draft by 11 days and now he’s suddenly joining the AFL’s reigning premier the Western Bulldogs.

Young was one of only six SANFL players drafted on Friday night when the Bulldogs took him with pick No.49.

The 17-year-old doesn’t turn 18 until December 20 meaning he was one of the youngest players in this year’s draft pool but that didn’t deter the Dogs.

The athletic 197cm forward/ruckman spent Saturday saying goodbye to his grandparents at Goolwa before preparing to fly to Melbourne to start pre-season training.

Young played under-18s, reserves and made one league appearance for Sturt this season and impressed with his test results at the draft screening.

“I’m stoked, I couldn’t think of a better club than the Bulldogs,” he said.

“The reigning premier and they have a good young core so I’m really excited to get started.

“I just wanted to get into the AFL and when I heard the Bulldogs at pick 49 (I was hopeful) because they were a club I’d been talking to a bit.”

SANFL talent manager Brenton Phillips said Young had a lot of potential which the Bulldogs clearly liked.

“He played one national (championships) game against Vic Country and he’s a developing young man,” Phillips said.

“In terms of his football maturity and development he’s still what we classify as a baby so he’s got a fair bit of upside to him.

“He tested athletically really well at the combine so that’s what the Bulldogs saw in him, so it was a really good story, they’re the ones you like to see get across the line.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/lewis-young-excited-to-move-to-afl-premier-western-bulldogs/news-story/21766ea3475aa780f09b8770f18195f4

lemmon
26-11-2016, 09:27 PM
He might end up 200cm+. He's still very young, I reckon some growth left

bulldogtragic
26-11-2016, 09:39 PM
I think Dal on the club's website said he may play forward or back. I wonder if we think he's a swingman type or whether he needs to develop in one position.

comrade
27-11-2016, 12:26 AM
He reminds me a little of Jake Carlisle. 197+ with hands like a vice, and looks capable of playing both ends.

Let's hope he steers clear of Snapchat though.

Twodogs
27-11-2016, 12:55 AM
He reminds me a little of Jake Carlisle. 197+ with hands like a vice, and looks capable of playing both ends.

Let's hope he steers clear of Snapchat though.

It's what he was doing that was the problem but anyway if he's anything as good as Carlisle then we'll be happy.

KT31
27-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Keen to come to us, seems to be another great young lad with excellent character and by the sounds of it the "go home factor" won't be a problem.(he said touching wood)

GVGjr
27-11-2016, 12:02 PM
He reminds me a bit of a young Jade Rawlings so I think there is a chance he could be used more as a CHB than forward. He's quicker than Jade though but a bit hesitant once he marks the ball.

If that was to play out in a couple of years time we would have Collins, Cordy and Young as key defenders.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2016, 12:12 PM
He reminds me a bit of a young Jade Rawlings so I think there is a chance he could be used more as a CHB than forward. He's quicker than Jade though but a bit hesitant once he marks the ball.

If that was to play out in a couple of years time we would have Collins, Cordy and Young as key defenders.

Don't see Premiership CHB, Fletcher Roberts as a key defender going ahead? :D

GVGjr
27-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Don't see Premiership CHB, Fletcher Roberts as a key defender going ahead? :D

I knew that would get a quick response. Who really knows with Fletch but I think in 2 years time Collins and Cordy should be ahead of him unless he continues to improve and stay fit.

The Adelaide Connection
28-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Word on the street in A town is that Lewis will get a gig this Thursday night. He is in the extended squad released today(?) and will stay in. Looking forward to seeing some of the new blood play (and in this case where he plays).

bornadog
13-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Good luck to Lewis Young on Sunday. Probably a good match to debut with Carlton fielding a very young side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-07-2017, 09:06 PM
It will be good to get a sighter of Lewis at this level. Didn't look ready during the pre-season comp (completely understandable and expected). So will be good to see how far he has come imsince then.
Good luck young man.

Twodogs
13-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing him. Good luck Lewis.

GVGjr
14-07-2017, 12:01 AM
He's tall, quick off the mark and can take a high mark. Once he learns how to get the ball moving a bit quicker he could easily turn into a solid player for us.

macca
14-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Well Young hope you have a great game.Always good to see first year players get a game

LostDoggy
14-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Gee this kid is promising. Only slipped into the draft by 11 days and will debut as an 18 year old who is 197 cm, 88 kg. Forcing his way into the firsts this early is a great effort with that body shape. Would be huge if he can do a few useful things. Best of luck to him.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Gee this kid is promising. Only slipped into the draft by 11 days and will debut as an 18 year old who is 197 cm, 88 kg. Forcing his way into the firsts this early is a great effort with that body shape. Would be huge if he can do a few useful things. Best of luck to him.

He must be close to the youngest Ket Position player to debut for us since Chris Grant.

bornadog
14-07-2017, 04:55 PM
He must be close to the youngest Key Position player to debut for us since Chris Grant.

Chris was born on 13 December and Lewis was born 20 December except Chris debuted age 17, and of course kicking 51 goals - what a year. If Lewis is half as good, we have a star.

PS: Leon Cameron also debuted at age 17 - we had two 17 year olds playing for us in 1990 (of course you know all that, this is for the benefit of our younger posters :o )

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Chris was born on 13 December and Lewis was born 20 December except Chris debuted age 17, and of course kicking 51 goals - what a year. If Lewis is half as good, we have a star.

PS: Leon Cameron also debuted at age 17 - we had two 17 year olds playing for us in 1990 (of course you know all that, this is for the benefit of our younger posters :o )

Two weeks between Grant and Cameron's debuts. Can you remember who debuted in the game between? This player was a fair player too.

I had a quick look at any KPs that may have been younger on debut. As well as getting depressed at how few KPs we've actually had (good or bad) since 1990 I could only come up with Daniel Hargreaves's who was only 18 when he played his first game with us.

bornadog
14-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Two weeks between Grant and Cameron's debuts. Can you remember who debuted in the game between? This player was a fair player too.

I had a quick look at any KPs that may have been younger on debut. As well as getting depressed at how few KPs we've actually had (good or bad) since 1990 I could only come up with Daniel Hargreaves's who was only 18 when he played his first game with us.

I don't have a good memory on that one TD.

Yeah we haven't had many KPP over the years.

westdog54
14-07-2017, 07:49 PM

I cheated and looked up the answer.

You're right. He was a fair player.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 11:25 PM
I cheated and looked up the answer.

You're right. He was a fair player.

Yep, we went Bing, bong, bang and came up roses three times.

G-Mo77
15-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I remember Round 1 in the VFL. I watched the game and evaluated our rookies, Young looked the furthest away out of all of them. Including rookies. Fast forward half a season and the improvements in this kid were outstanding, now he's lining up to play his first game. Congrats and good luck!

hujsh
15-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Can see how slight he is in the jumper presentation video. Looks to almost have an inverted chest

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Having one of the best debut games we've seen in recent times. Give him an extra two years now.

As an aside, how good is Simon Dal doing with the last three mid range SA. Picks (Daniel, Williams, Young)

Edit: to Half Time: 11 Disposals, 5 Marks (3 of them intercept marks)

josie
16-07-2017, 05:28 PM
How good a debut is this? He is already one of my faves. Kinda like a taller Wood. Will appeal to the young ones too. Go Young!!

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Doesn't mind handing out some life advice to teamates and opponents as he goes about his duties. I like the kid.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Huuuuuuugeeeee Spekky!!!!!

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Stunning debut you young beauty. Stunning:

21 Disposals (5 contested)
9 Marks (Inc. 2 contested, 5 intercept marks, 1 spekky) (equal most marks on debut with Brad Hardie & Chris Grant in our history!!!!)!!
1 Rebound 50
1 Inside 50
1 1%'s
1 Bounce

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 06:51 PM
He's a bit proppy and hesitant when he's got space. If he improves his kicking and adds some weight he will be a nice fit for us.

chef
16-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Gun.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Club website says he's a key forward! I could live with a 197cm target like that each week.

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Club website says he's a key forward! I could live with a target like that each week.

He played mainly forward in last years carnival but after all the tall forward types we drafted last season he was the most likely one to play as a defender for us. He's certainly quick enough.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Sensational debut

FrediKanoute
16-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Very impressive. Good prospect.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 07:03 PM
He played mainly forward in last years carnival but after all the tall forward types we drafted last season he was the most likely one to play as a defender for us. He's certainly quick enough.

If he could play both ends, like Cordy & Adams can, that's a really interesting mix of talls to move around go game day. Plus Tom Boyd, Roughy & English.

But on topic, most marks on debut in our club's history with Brad Hardie & Chris Grant. That's some club.

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 07:12 PM
If he could play both ends, like Cordy & Adams can, that's a really interesting mix of talls to move around go game day. Plus Tom Boyd, Roughy & English.

But on topic, most marks on debut in our club's history with Brad Hardie & Chris Grant. That's some club.

Impressive stat. They both won Brownlows so he is in good company.

Throughandthrough
16-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Superb debut.

bornadog
16-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Lewis is so cool and calm, didn't panic and took most marks that came his way. Great to see a tall debut at 18 years old and play so well. I was very impressed.

EasternWest
16-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Lewis is so cool and calm, didn't panic and took most marks that came his way. Great to see a tall debut at 18 years old and play so well.I was very impressed.

Loved that he took them on a bit too. Didn't always work, but that's ok.

Not many debutantes have a highlight reel hanger for their wall.

Go_Dogs
16-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Enjoyed his first game, plenty to work with.

Bulldog4life
16-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Congrats once again to Dal for picking another gem out of the rough. Very impressive is young Young

Remi Moses
16-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Super start from Lewis . Poise and terrific hands .

always right
16-07-2017, 07:54 PM
What I loved is how he didn't rush his possessions, making sure he chose the right option and hitting his target. Also loved how he frees his arms to get a handball away although he's going to get pinged occasionally with that light frame.

ledge
16-07-2017, 08:03 PM
I've looked up two different football apps and both say 7 marks . I have learnt never trust the commentators, they make things up so do we have confirmation it's 9 marks ?

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I've looked up two different football apps and both say 7 marks . I have learnt never trust the commentators, they make things up so do we have confirmation it's 9 marks ?

Ch7 say 9
Afl.com.au say 9
Footywire say 9

Not sure where you're getting your info.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 08:12 PM
As an aside, Young's AFL Fantasy Points Score (73) is higher than Fletcher Roberts highest ever score (64).

lemmon
16-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Excellent debut. Really assured young lad and we havent had a key position player with hands that sticky in a while.

ledge
16-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Backed himself excellently today , you would think he would have punched all day and still been a great game.
The kid has balls ! He summed up the Carlton forward line and his player and worked out he could back himself to beat him in the air one on one.

ratsmac
16-07-2017, 08:44 PM
I like him, I like him a lot!

A tall with great hands at the bulldogs , who knew?

Great debut Lewis, well done.

LostDoggy
16-07-2017, 08:51 PM
That was seriously impressive. Loved hs attitude too. When he fills out a bit, looks like a very, very good player.

bornadog
16-07-2017, 09:00 PM
What I loved is how he didn't rush his possessions, making sure he chose the right option and hitting his target. Also loved how he frees his arms to get a handball away although he's going to get pinged occasionally with that light frame.

Bevo said on Saturday morning, Lewis knows how to play the Bulldog defensive game and he was confident he would do well.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 09:04 PM
He's a bit proppy and hesitant when he's got space. If he improves his kicking and adds some weight he will be a nice fit for us.

You'd hope there's a lot, lot more of upside still. I found this grab in a SA paper last year, to support what we all know:

"A late bloomer after focusing more on basketball — he played at under-16 State level — than football until last year, Young’s blistering speed and athleticism for his height has clubs excited by his potential."

So he's focussed on footy solely for just 18 months. The mind boggles about what 2-3-4 years of AFL development will do. I mean if you curve charted him from switching focus to basketball, to getting a champs game, to combine, to draftee, to VFL to his debut the chart is going sharply upwards. Very much the 'Dalrymple Patent' of going for guys curving upwards later.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Bevo said on Saturday morning, Lewis knows how to play the Bulldog defensive game and he was confident he would do well.

I now want to see him forward, where he played as a junior. With moves and hands like that, in a 197cm athletic freak, I could live with him forward. Maybe Lever can go in defence next year, and Young up forward...

Hotdog60
16-07-2017, 09:07 PM
I now want to see him forward, where he played as a junior. With moves and hands like that, in a 197cm athletic freak, I could live with him forward. Maybe Lever can go in defence next year, and Young up forward...

With Wood to come back in and Stringer out that may well happen.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2017, 09:09 PM
One of the knocks on Lewis in his pre draft bio was his kicking. He was great today in the air and looked ok in general play by foot. Have VFL watchers out there any insight into his improvement in this area?

westdog54
16-07-2017, 09:17 PM
That's a great debut. I loved watching him get in Casboult's face after he missed that gimme in the last.

kruder
16-07-2017, 09:19 PM

Let the kid settle in a position first surely?

The bulldog tragician
16-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Wow!! So impressive. Really loved the way he set himself for the specky too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2017, 09:30 PM
We already know the Rising Star award is a crock....if Young doesn't win a nomination this week...we can seal that adjudication in A grade cow manure.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Let the kid settle in a position first surely?

I didn't say this week, but I'd like to with his playing history. But as far as I can read about him, the only time he's played in defence was in VFL games this year. He seems to have always been a forward and was recruited as one. So he's not learning a new craft if he was thrown forward. That he might be able to play multiple KPP roles is exciting to me.

SquirrelGrip
16-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Loved the long sleeve jumper....

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Loved the long sleeve jumper....

Me too. Luke Hodge said he especially loved that he was wearing two jumpers (either above or under), so the kid could sell them for twice as much. Hodge mentioned he put a new jumper on in each quarter in his 300th so he's got 4 worn 300th game jumpers to sell. Modern players certainly know how to work the system.

boydogs
16-07-2017, 10:21 PM
He conceded a few goals early but I love how quickly he settled in and backed himself. Very composed with ball in hand, evasive and gets the handball off when tackled. Very sticky hands

EasternWest
16-07-2017, 10:33 PM
He conceded a few goals early but I love how quickly he settled in and backed himself. Very composed with ball in hand, evasive and gets the handball off when tackled. Very sticky hands

I liked the way his errors didn't seem to weigh on him. Very mature.

bornadog
16-07-2017, 10:34 PM

Sorry BT, we are crying out for a good solid backman that can play. I would like to see him stay back at this stage and get used to defending.

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Having a quick look at the replay, he made sure that he got around and congratulated every one of goals kickers as well.

KT31
16-07-2017, 10:51 PM
We already know the Rising Star award is a crock....if Young doesn't win a nomination this week...we can seal that adjudication in A grade cow manure.

Alex Witherden has been pretty impressive for the Lions four weeks in a row now, he is due for a nod over Young.

SonofScray
16-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Terrific debut added some much needed excitement and joy to my trip to the footy. He really grew into the game and the big grab he took late near the MCC pavilion was a good a moment we've had in 2017. Impressive stuff.

jeemak
16-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Excellent debut.

Once he settled he really struck me as a player who is able to get on the bigger ground and understand the way the senior level is played.

I was really impressed by his awareness of when to go and when not to.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Koby Stevens pick netted us Young

angelopetraglia
17-07-2017, 12:04 AM
For a key marking defender his poise with the ball in hand for a first game was sensational. Didn't panic. Looked at home. Great debut.

whythelongface
17-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Fantastic debut. Well done Lewis. Look forward to seeing you play for many years.

Eastdog
17-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Great debut Lewis and great mark!

Topdog
17-07-2017, 08:59 AM
He reads the play brilliantly as a defender! Just got to where the ball was going all the time. It wasn't just intercept marks, he was getting interceptions from bouncing balls too and as Always Right said the way he took on tackles and lifted his arms up to handball out was great too.

Hodge couldn't stop praising him.

Smads57
17-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Congrats Lewy, a natural continuation of your form from last week in the VFL

westdog54
17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
He reads the play brilliantly as a defender! Just got to where the ball was going all the time. It wasn't just intercept marks, he was getting interceptions from bouncing balls too and as Always Right said the way he took on tackles and lifted his arms up to handball out was great too.

Hodge couldn't stop praising him.
That's high praise in itself.

Webby
17-07-2017, 12:54 PM
My favourite part of yesterday was watching Young OWN one of Carlton's great white young hopes, Jack Silvagni, in a marking contest.

Suddenly, rather than aspiring for Jake Lever at $850k, I'm pretty confident we've found one who could be just as good for nothing!

The other observation was that, approaching the game I was cringing at the galling prospect of watching Liam Jones tear it up in defence - so it was a really great surprise to see one of the very best debut performances from a pup.

Now with Wood, Young and Cordy, we seem decently poised to cover ourselves with defensive stocks. Particularly if Adams comes back and Collins can come on. Top up with one more and suddenly we're in pretty good shape.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 01:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE16FUgUwAMFJMu.jpg

EasternWest
17-07-2017, 03:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE16FUgUwAMFJMu.jpg

What a ripper!

1eyedog
17-07-2017, 03:14 PM
He's been ok over the past two matches but I'm glad someone finally gave Suckers a swift kick up the backside.

Avoid the rush
17-07-2017, 03:23 PM
I know it's a big call.........but gee Young reminded me of a young Kelvin Templeton...

Twodogs
17-07-2017, 03:37 PM
I know it's a big call.........but gee Young reminded me of a young Kelvin Templeton...

The long sleeves and the sure hands.

comrade
17-07-2017, 03:55 PM

No pressure on the kid ;)

divvydan
17-07-2017, 04:00 PM
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/anatomy-of-a-debut-lewis-young/

Column from Lewis on his debut.

Cyberdoggie
17-07-2017, 04:07 PM
One of the best first games for our club that I can remember. Still got a long way to go physically but his ability to read the ball and intercept brings him into the game. Between Young, Wood and Cordy there is something special there.

Bevo said after the Adelaide game that we were never going to match then for sheer size, so we needed to play to our strengths and play the game on our terms, and make their big blokes look slow etc. But of course we didn't take the game on and kept kicking the ball to them.

Enter Young and for the first time in many weeks we looked to have some stability and confidence in defence. Of course it was a much better effort in the middle but we looked comfortable back there.

There will be times no doubt when he gets out bodied easily but if he keeps trusting his instincts and reading the play he'll go a long way.

Mantis
17-07-2017, 04:15 PM

He's an impressive young bloke.

Jeanette54
17-07-2017, 04:17 PM
My memory goes back a long way, including the notable first games of Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan (on the same day). And I can't remember a Bulldog player with more composure in his first senior game. The way he prepares to mark reminds me of Gary Dempsey, and long may his hands remain as sure as Garry's were.

LostDoggy
17-07-2017, 05:29 PM
My memory goes back a long way, including the notable first games of Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan (on the same day). And I can't remember a Bulldog player with more composure in his first senior game. The way he prepares to mark reminds me of Gary Dempsey, and long may his hands remain as sure as Garry's were.

Let's not forget Jason Tutt for notable first games...:)

1eyedog
17-07-2017, 06:15 PM

He said it - I was waiting.

ledge
17-07-2017, 06:24 PM

I actually thought Chris Grant . But Yeah reminds me of Kelvin as well.

Go_Dogs
17-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Got a good laugh out of the Suckling Insta post.

Seems like a switched on and mature young man.

GVGjr
17-07-2017, 10:52 PM
I was trying to work out yesterday who Young reminded me of and I worked it out today.
When he was first drafted by the Hawks as a key forward, Luke McPharlin started off as a tall defender. In his 2nd season he played a few games where his marking ability and athleticism really stood out.

McPharlin only played 12 games for the Hawks but had an impressive career at Freo. Here's hoping Young can forge out a good career with us.

jeemak
17-07-2017, 11:50 PM
I was trying to work out yesterday who Young reminded me of and I worked it out today.
When he was first drafted by the Hawks as a key forward, Luke McPharlin started off as a tall defender. In his 2nd season he played a few games where his marking ability and athleticism really stood out.

McPharlin only played 12 games for the Hawks but had an impressive career at Freo. Here's hoping Young can forge out a good career with us.

Bingo. I have been thinking who he reminded of and had a Fremantle jumper in my mind. Good get.

jeemak
17-07-2017, 11:52 PM
He didn't win the Rising Start this week.

Fair enough given the performances Witherdon has put together the last month.

Get a load of the gushing, cheesey, and fairly over the top praise in this article:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-17/the-next-goddard-witherden-sinks-teeth-into-rising-star

choconmientay
18-07-2017, 01:52 PM
SEN - BULLDOG PUP HAS SHADES OF LEVER: WATSON (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/17/bulldog-pup-has-shades-of-lever-watson/)

https://images.contentful.com/u8w3l566ay8a/68Cvjz8lRmEeIe4uki0c4e/783c6e683f61ee23bb20188cf365641f/lewis-young.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Western Bulldog Lachie Hunter says that the debut performance of defender Lewis Young was one of the best he has seen, but took him slightly by surprise.

Young, who was previously a forward as a junior with Sturt and spent time at both ends in the VFL this season, took nine marks on debut – including six intercept – to be among the Bulldogs best in their win over Carlton yesterday.

Hunter told SEN Breakfast that the South Australian looked as if he had played 100 league games in defence.

“I know he’s been playing really well, and a lot of the boys said that he’s been playing exactly like that in the VFL, but as you all know often it doesn’t really translate exactly into AFL,” he said.

“But it pretty much seemed like he knew exactly how the game was going and he didn’t struggle with the speed of the game and read the ball well and came off and took a lot of marks, which is what we wanted him to do.”

Hunter said that he enjoyed seeing the first-gamer provide Carlton’s Levi Casboult with some feedback after the big Blue missed a simple goal in the final term.

“I thought it was pretty good, you don’t often see that some a first-gamer. It normally takes a couple of years to start to get into the opposition.”

Former Essendon great Tim Watson likened Young’s debut to that of in-demand Adelaide young gun Jake Lever.

“The first time I saw Jake Lever player for the Adelaide Crows, I looked at him and thought this bloke is going to be around for 200 games,” Watson said.

“This kid is exactly the same. He has time he has composure, he as awareness and he has a little bit of confidence as well. He just looked like he was made to play the game.”

Young was selected by the Dogs at pick 49 in last year’s national draft and has shown steady progression in the reserves before getting his chance.

“(He’s) a 197cm tall forward who comes from a basketball background so is still learning the game and is actually a baby of the draft because he’s a late December birth,” Sturt high performance manager Chris Trapp told Inside Football in November 2016.

“(He has) good athletic ability but will need to improve his kicking. Out of all our guys he has the most upside and could play back if that’s what a club wanted.”

bulldogsthru&thru
18-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Almost wish we didn't debut the kid. If Lever nominates us the crows will probably demand him as part of the trade!

Les Abbott Cheer Squad
18-07-2017, 11:07 PM
I found this to be an interesting article.

Honourable Mention 2: Lewis Young
It was a remarkably assured debut from the young Bulldogs, the youngest listed player in the AFL in 2017, who deputised for Premiership captain Easton Wood on Sunday. Refusing to be overawed by the situation he helped himself to 22-disposals and six intercept marks in a performance that belied his age and debutant status.

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/aussie-rules/afl-round-17-learned-liked-and-disliked/

Twodogs
19-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks Len. I can't remember a debut that's been as picked apart as Lewis Youngs since back when Ronny James played his first game. I'm enjoying reading all the positive assessments more than the actual win.

ledge
19-07-2017, 12:48 PM
He had a chronic lack of confidence. It's not something I understand myself.

I lived with him he didn't lack confidence , although he wasn't big headed , in my eyes he had two problems 1 he never got a good long run and 2 he kept getting injured.

Twodogs
19-07-2017, 02:47 PM
I lived with him he didn't lack confidence , although he wasn't big headed , in my eyes he had two problems 1 he never got a good long run and 2 he kept getting injured.

Saw him turn Chris Grant inside out in a marking contest a couple of times in an intra club and always thought he showed a bit. He was always the first dropped though for some reason.

jeemak
19-07-2017, 02:55 PM
I always thought we could more out of Tiller. He was in the side around the time Eade was his least inventive from a development perspective. I often wonder what the player culture was like at that time as well, and whether it was ideal for developing players.

ledge
19-07-2017, 05:02 PM
I always thought we could more out of Tiller. He was in the side around the time Eade was his least inventive from a development perspective. I often wonder what the player culture was like at that time as well, and whether it was ideal for developing players.

Jesse Wells and him were polar opposites , Jesse would sit and talk about how good he was all day but Stephen didn't talk unless you talked to him, don't get me wrong Jesse was a good kid but Stephen was quiet and a lot more mature.
Might be a similarity with Lewis, SA boy and quiet good head on his shoulders .
I felt sorry for Stephen because I believe he could play and was good enough.

Twodogs
19-07-2017, 08:03 PM

I understand that there were senior players and junior players and sometimes it got to the silly stage where the senior players were waxing with the ball. They would rather kick it to Bubba even though he was in a 2 on 1 than to the kid all by himself.

Jesse Wells and him were polar opposites , Jesse would sit and talk about how good he was all day but Stephen didn't talk unless you talked to him, don't get me wrong Jesse was a good kid but Stephen was quiet and a lot more mature.
Might be a similarity with Lewis, SA boy and quiet good head on his shoulders .
I felt sorry for Stephen because I believe he could play and was good enough.

Sounds like a lack of confidence to me.

You've boarded a few players haven't you? Are thy like typical teenagers?

always right
19-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Is there anything better than seeing a young bloke come out of the blue to make such an impressive debut? I guess it's even more exciting when the season has been so disappointing.

We're all realistic enough to know that at such a young age it's likely that there will be ups and downs and he may end up playing more games for Footscray than the WB over the next two years......but picking up such an obvious talent with such a late draft pick is something that can help the club market itself to members. We're going to need good news stories like this if we are to maintain our membership numbers next year.

Will watch next week with interest and hope he can back up with a solid game....that is all I expect.

ledge
19-07-2017, 11:15 PM
I understand that there were senior players and junior players and sometimes it got to the silly stage where the senior players were waxing with the ball. They would rather kick it to Bubba even though he was in a 2 on 1 than to the kid all by himself

Sounds like a lack of confidence to me.

You've boarded a few players haven't you? Are thy like typical teenagers?

Well my parents and in laws did going back to the early 80s , I was a teenager as well back then and yes back then they were , we got drunk and partied etc but as for the Tiller years no they were very well behaved and a lot more professional.
Mick Malthouse was coach when we started boarding and it wasn't a full on profession back then, they all had fulltime jobs as well but Mick was well ahead of his time as far as player management was concerned . He would ring every Friday night to see where they were and if they weren't home he would ask where they were and chase them up.
All in all they have all been kids with good heads on their shoulders, but then again we were supposed to get the Macpherson Boys now that would have been an experience . I was never real close to them as I was playing footy too at local level and they didn't spend much time at home, but God they could eat , mum always complained about the fish fingers and ice cream we all went through. I have great memories Some I saw for the first time in 30 years at the GF.

jeemak
20-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Ledge, for context, are you able to elaborate on your role/you family role with these younger fellows?

ledge
20-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Ledge, for context, are you able to elaborate on your role/you family role with these younger fellows?

Basically I have two older brothers and we lived in a small concrete commission home in braybrook, as we got older my parents built two extra bed rooms onto The home so we all had our own rooms , well about a year after being built both my brothers got married and moved out, my mother rang the football club inquiring about taking players in who were from interstate or the country.
The club always puts players in a family environment so they feel at home and are looked after , usually it's only about a year and they move on , it's up to the players really they leave when they want. Most players move in with other players after that

1eyedog
20-07-2017, 09:43 AM
We still do it. Tristan stayed with Bob for 2 weeks waiting to be placed. He's now with a family in Altona during the week and heads up to his parents in Healesville every weekend.

Mofra
20-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Basically I have two older brothers and we lived in a small concrete commission home in braybrook, as we got older my parents built two extra bed rooms onto The home so we all had our own rooms , well about a year after being built both my brothers got married and moved out, my mother rang the football club inquiring about taking players in who were from interstate or the country.
The club always puts players in a family environment so they feel at home and are looked after , usually it's only about a year and they move on , it's up to the players really they leave when they want. Most players move in with other players after that
I remember asking Gia about Cooney in his first year as Cooney was living with Gia's parents at the time. The response was "he knows how good he is"

ledge
20-07-2017, 05:48 PM
I remember asking Gia about Cooney in his first year as Cooney was living with Gia's parents at the time. The response was "he knows how good he is"

Difference is he was good .. Jesse .. Well that's another story.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 09:48 PM
First Two Games: 37 disposals (8 contested), 19 marks (10 intercept, 3 contested), a handful or two of tackles, rebounds, 1 %'s, inside 50's.

I'm trying to think of a recent teenage KPP of ours with a start like this. Rendering the current premiership captain to the forward pocket while you keep his spot and opponent quiet.

LostDoggy
22-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Since the 90s, the only 2 KPP size players I can rememer to start this brightly for us at such a young age would be Chris Grant (who was spectacular as a 17 year old, the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season) and Matthew Croft (who I remember getting a heap of possessions and a goal in his first or 2nd game as an 18 year old).

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Since the 90s, the only 2 KPP size players I can rememer to start this brightly for us at such a young age would be Chris Grant (who was spectacular as a 17 year old, the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season) and Matthew Croft (who I remember getting a heap of possessions and a goal in his first or 2nd game as an 18 year old).

They're the ones that my memory stretches back to, and great company to be in as they're both club greats. We might not have had a heap of exciting talls come in and make a statement in the last 15 or so years, but even Lake, Morris, Shaggy or Roughy (daylight J. Grant, Jones) didn't do it from game 1. Then back it up equally in game 2.

May our SA boys 33, 34 & 35 play many, many games together.

bornadog
22-07-2017, 11:02 PM
I can't believe how composed he is when the ball is in the backline.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 11:07 PM
I can't believe how composed he is when the ball is in the backline.

You follow the RS nominations. Two weeks resulting in the stats above, does that put him in the mix?

To be overlooked. :D

bornadog
22-07-2017, 11:13 PM
You follow the RS nominations. Two weeks resulting in the stars above, does that put him in the mix?

To be overlooked. :D

Bailey Williams in the mix too.

macca
22-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Young was impressive today, he seems to have so much time and knows where to run to in the right spots. He was involved with a few link ups i the second quarter very impressive. Well done on another good game .

Twodogs
23-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Promising KPPs have been thin on the ground since back then. Ben Sexton, Keenan Reynolds, Adrian Campbell, Jon Ballantyne, Ijlia Grgic and Zayne Cordy are really the only promising types who showed a bit early are the only young KPP types we have recruited in the last 25 years. It's almost as if once we lost our zones which provided us with KPPs whether we wanted them or not because the best players just came through we became incapable of IDing and recruiting suitable tall players.

Remi Moses
23-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Very steady game . Big big positive

Go_Dogs
23-07-2017, 09:23 AM
He reads the play well and covers the ground for a big bloke. A few times yesterday when the ball hit the deck I thought he might be out of the contest, but he was able to influence the space within the surrounding 5-10 metres with leg speed.

He's going to take some absolutely cracking marks over this career.

ledge
23-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Extremely clean and seems to float and be in slow motion when taking marks. That's a very rare gift. , lands on his feet as well .
Does he need to put on kilos ?
Might be one of those rare types who is like Bob Murphy no need to bang on the kilos as he seems to glide past tackles, evade and swoop in that split second of time and space.

LostDoggy
24-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Extremely clean and seems to float and be in slow motion when taking marks. That's a very rare gift. , lands on his feet as well .
Does he need to put on kilos ?
Might be one of those rare types who is like Bob Murphy no need to bang on the kilos as he seems to glide past tackles, evade and swoop in that split second of time and space.

Good point. Another good comparison may be Dustin Fletcher. Always looked skinny by AFL standards but was tough and wiry. Young will no doubt put on some kilos but may naturally just always carry a lean frame.

dog town
24-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Hard to get a gauge on just how promising he is yet. Due to the way we play and position our defenders we haven't actually had to see him defend much yet. He hasn't had to lock arms with a bigger opponent, be led to the ball or be turned around yet. Unbelievable effort for his age so far but we need to see how all these things develop in the next few seasons before making big calls. The promising part is he has shown he has all of the tools.

ledge
24-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Hard to get a gauge on just how promising he is yet. Due to the way we play and position our defenders we haven't actually had to see him defend much yet. He hasn't had to lock arms with a bigger opponent, be led to the ball or be turned around yet. Unbelievable effort for his age so far but we need to see how all these things develop in the next few seasons before making big calls. The promising part is he has shown he has all of the tools.

If it's body on body he will struggle of course at the moment, but if he plays the intercept marking type like Rance( a couple of years ago) and Wood, and Collins/Cordy do the body work he won't have much of the body on body work.

ledge
24-07-2017, 07:35 AM
For all we know this might be him learning the backman trade before he becomes a forward , definitley being very young and skinny starting back is a better option than playing forward and getting smashed by other large opposition backs every week.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2017, 10:41 AM
For all we know this might be him learning the backman trade before he becomes a forward , definitley being very young and skinny starting back is a better option than playing forward and getting smashed by other large opposition backs every week.

Good observation. He's played forward all his life up until a couple on months ago. The work that Cloke and now Redpath have had to do is taxing and would've smashed him as you say. So he's in a good role, and kept it over Wood. So he must be going ok to have Wood shoved into a forward pocket. With his history as a forward, his height, agility, athleticism, composure, leap and sticky hands I have no problem with him developing at either end or as a swing man. Those attributes make a good forward though.

SonofScray
24-07-2017, 02:07 PM
As good an entry into the seniors I can recall. Composed, reading the play well, got some swagger and really wants the footy. We've battled in the air all year so his marking has been a highlight. Has an unusual, choppy handball style which needs to be cleaned up.

LostDoggy
24-07-2017, 03:53 PM
The conventional wisdom has been that we have an exciting crop of young mids but big ??? on the talls. Our young spine is starting to look sound when you consider Lewis (18), English (19), Cordy (20), Boyd (21) and Adams (24) are all tracking very nicely to add to our existing mid 20s talls (Roughead, Campbell, Redpath, Roberts). With Collins (19) and NMM (20) also showing promising signs. If we could add Jake Lever (21) to that mix, we'd be looking at a really exciting crop of yong talls.

Twodogs
24-07-2017, 05:28 PM
The conventional wisdom has been that we have an exciting crop of young mids but big ??? on the talls. Our young spine is starting to look sound when you consider Lewis (18), English (19), Cordy (20), Boyd (21) and Adams (24) are all tracking very nicely to add to our existing mid 20s talls (Roughead, Campbell, Redpath, Roberts). With Collins (19) and NMM (20) also showing promising signs. If we could add Jake Lever (21) to that mix, we'd be looking at a really exciting crop of yong talls.

I'm getting convinced that it looks ok even without Lever. If we don't get him it's not going to be the end of the world.

boydogs
24-07-2017, 08:48 PM
So he's in a good role, and kept it over Wood. So he must be going ok to have Wood shoved into a forward pocket

Wood played down the end the wind was blowing to all 4 quarters - 2 as a forward, 2 as a defender

LostDoggy
24-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm getting convinced that it looks ok even without Lever. If we don't get him it's not going to be the end of the world.
I agree, but if we do get him, our position is looking seriously powerful.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2017, 09:10 PM
I agree, but if we do get him, our position is looking seriously powerful.

Yep, our talls could all play in different positions. Bevo would love during games, to have the option change up all the big guys around to create mismatch after mismatch, or have multiple options if a big forward needs shutting down. The age profile of the talls supports a longer crack at a dynasty. I'm not convinced about targeting a forward if our entries don't improve. Another top midfielder would be nice, Rockliff ideally.

But as to Young, he and Adams were forwards as juniors I'm pretty sure. Having too many mobile talls who can mark is a great problem to work out where their best footy is played.

LostDoggy
24-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Yep, our talls could all play in different positions. Bevo would love during games, to have the option change up all the big guys around to create mismatch after mismatch, or have multiple options if a big forward needs shutting down. The age profile of the talls supports a longer crack at a dynasty. I'm not convinced about targeting a forward if our entries don't improve. Another top midfielder would be nice, Rockliff ideally.

But as to Young, he and Adams were forwards as juniors I'm pretty sure. Having too many mobile talls who can mark is a great problem to work out where their best footy is played.

Zaine Cordy is also a premiership CHF who repeatedly kicked key goals in finals. You've got to stop ignoring him BT.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Zaine Cordy is also a premiership CHF who repeatedly kicked key goals in finals. You've got to stop ignoring him BT.

Me, ignore? My process to adopt Zaine as my son is going well I will let you know. I've said it for about 4.5 years, his best spot is a tall rebounding, dashing defender. Everyone seems happy with him so far as defender and forward in the finals, but he has the potential to be a hybrid of Hargrave & Bobby, but even taller. When he reaches the level in the role I know he has in him, he will be almost first picked. I wouldn't play him forward unless it's a match up thing. Give him a couple of really good defenders around him (Lever, Adams, Young, Wood, Morris?, Collins?, Roberts?) to give him confidence to run, and a system to cover his man if there's a bad turnover and wait for the magic.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Wood played down the end the wind was blowing to all 4 quarters - 2 as a forward, 2 as a defender

Sorry but Wood started forward into the wind.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Very happy with young Lewie and once again for Dal and his team for recognizing a latent talent. Listening to Hunter speak about him the other day he said something like this " 8 weeks ago you would not have given him a chance of playing seniors". Just shows the growth in him.

Twodogs
25-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Adams has done well when he been sent forward at times this year. Didn't he kick 2 or 3 in a game earlier in the year?

Yeah come on BT. It's time you started to rate the kid like me and whatsisname. That poster who has been banging on about him since he was in the TAC cup. BulldogMagic or something.

ledge
25-07-2017, 07:58 PM
When you look at Adams size and the way he Marks it would be mad not to push him forward occasionally especially with how the opposition backs seem to out mark us all the time.
I love the way Bevo sees it , even Wood should be pushed forward, his leap would be very dangerous and was proved so on the weekend.

boydogs
25-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Sorry but Wood started forward into the wind.

Maybe he moved around a bit. He was on the mark for Peter Wright's goal and behind the ball for Picken's 2nd though (0:29, 1:05)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-07-22/match-highlights-bulldogs-v-gold-coast-rd18

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Youngs inside 50 kick to Dickson in the 1st half was as good of a kick as any from our players this year. I think he added composure in disposal today, but learned a lot about how big and strong the big and strong players are. I also did like him giving it to Hooker after a miss proving that the Casboult one wasn't an isolated incident. He jumped into the wrestle at the end too. Cordy is teaching him well.

comrade
30-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Youngs inside 50 kick to Dickson in the 1st half was as good of a kick as any from our players this year. I think he added composure in disposal today, but learned a lot about how big and strong the big and strong players are. I also did like him giving it to Hooker after a miss proving that the Casboult one wasn't an isolated incident. He jumped into the wrestle at the end too. Cordy is teaching him well.

It was on his non-preferred left too if I recall?

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 08:44 PM

I can't honestly recall. But if that's his non preferred, he can move into the midfield if he can kick both sides like that. It was a stunning kick. Audacious as it was perfect. I think it was Hurley who was in front of the leading Dickson, and I reckon everyone including Hurley thought it was going to him... But the weight and penetration to get the exact height and pace to get to a quick moving Dickson it was a thing of art.

I shouldn't be as happy as I am over one kick, but in a season when we've showed a huge weakness in this area, something like this from a third gamer just stands out. I reckon the degree of difficulty would be harder than the wheelie bin from 40m.

The bulldog tragician
30-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Wasn't the doubt about him his kicking?? His efficiency must be right up there. He doesn't panic at all.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 08:46 PM
I can't honestly recall. But if that's his non preferred, he can move into the midfield if he can kick both sides like that. It was a stunning kick. Audacious as it was perfect. I think it was Hurley who was in front of the leading Dickson, and I reckon everyone including Hurley thought it was going to him... But the weight and penetration to get the exact height and pace to get to a quick moving Dickson it was a thing of art.

I shouldn't be as happy as I am over one kick, but in a season when we've showed a huge weakness in this area, something like this from a third gamer just stands out. I reckon the degree of difficulty would be harder than the wheelie bin from 40m.

Kicked it with his left foot.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Kicked it with his left foot.

Well, time to make a midfielder out of him! :D

Name the other players on our list who could make that on their non-preferred foot?

Bonts, Bob, Bailey Dale maybe,

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Wasn't the doubt about him his kicking?? His efficiency must be right up there. He doesn't panic at all.

Average on his 3 games: 15 disposals at 78%, 7.7 marks, 1.3 tackles, 1.3 rebound 50's, 2.7 1%'s (88.7 time on ground)

ledge
30-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Apparently got a knock on the knee late in the game, not sure how bad it is.

boydogs
30-07-2017, 09:12 PM
He's the perfect modern day tall and perfect for our setup. Athletic and a good user. Has that extra height that Cordy & Adams don't

Has already overachieved in his first year, but I would question whether he should remain in the side for the rest of the year - we've been playing him as the loose man and letting him run and jump at the ball, but even that today was beyond him at times as bigger, stronger, more experienced forwards pushed or held him off the ball

Remi Moses
30-07-2017, 09:15 PM
I had to rewind to actually realise he kicked it with his left .

Raw Toast
30-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Young has been fantastic - so much better than anyone could have reasonably expected. But I hope that he spends a heap of time working on his hand-passing in between seasons.

Sometimes the pace of the game is too quick for him and he doesn't dispose of it quickly enough, which is fair enough (Cordy used to drive me a bit crazy with that), but vital in today's footy to turn hand-passing into a weapon and at the moment with him it's a bit of a liability. Young's obviously got a heap of things going for him, hopefully he's also one of those players who will work diligently to keep improving the less superb parts of his game.

macca
31-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Good pickup , He got caught once holding the ball in the last quarter but it not help that his team mates did not come to him for options. He will learning , and get better. Ther is massive massive upside with him , an exciting prospect. We are crying out for a Jeremy McGovern role to take those intercept marks

Bulldog Joe
31-07-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm still trying to work what his preferred is. He moves with the poise of a traditional left footer but mostly uses the right.

dadsgirl16
31-07-2017, 03:26 PM
That kick was right in front of where I sit...the guy beside me was having a hissy fit until he realised it was a perfect pass to Tory
Young Lewis has certainly shown a lot of poise

Happy Days
31-07-2017, 03:28 PM
That kick was right in front of where I sit...the guy beside me was having a hissy fit until he realised it was a perfect pass to Tory
Young Lewis has certainly shown a lot of poise

That might have been me!

Eastdog
31-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Average on his 3 games: 15 disposals at 78%, 7.7 marks, 1.3 tackles, 1.3 rebound 50's, 2.7 1%'s (88.7 time on ground)

Fair effort for player who has only just started at the top level. Well done Lewis.

Axe Man
11-01-2018, 12:52 PM
'Old' Young aims to turn over a new leaf (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-11/old-young-aims-to-turn-over-a-new-leaf)

LEWIS Young is no longer the baby of the AFL and says his wide-ranging fortunes in his seven-game maiden season will hold him in good stead for this year.

Most importantly, Young says, his confidence is high after staying in the Western Bulldogs' line-up from the time he made his highly-acclaimed debut in round 17.

That could easily not have been the case, given how the recently-turned 19-year-old's form trailed off after a spectacular start.

Young, the youngest player on an AFL list in 2017, took 19 marks in his first two matches, and retired triple premiership star Tim Watson compared him to arguably the game's best young defender, Jake Lever.

But the Sturt product, who was the No.49 pick in 2016 after qualifying for the draft by only 11 days, soon saw the other side of life at the elite level.

Young coughed up five turnovers – three of them resulting in Greater Western Sydney goals – and had a disposal efficiency rating of just 18 per cent in a big round 21 defeat.

Further harsh lessons followed in the final two rounds of the season.

"Credit to the coaches for leaving me in there, because that did give me a lot of confidence coming into this year," Young told RSN927.

"I'm working a bit on my disposals – so my kicking and handballing – (and) I'm also working on my positioning.

"Just learning the game-plan is always an ongoing thing, so learning that over and over again never hurts."

Young arrived at the Kennel 14 months ago as a 197cm key forward, but the Dogs transformed him into an intercepting defender.

He showed such promise that he scored a jumper upgrade in December from No.33 to No.2, which was worn in all bar three of retired club great Bob Murphy's 312 games.

"I am very humbled to be offered the jumper by Bevo (coach Luke Beveridge) and very excited to wear the number this year," Young said.

"But, at the end of the day, it is just a number and I do play for the red, white and blue on the front of the guernsey.

"I spoke to (Murphy) the day I got it … and he said, 'Congratulations, look forward to watching you' and then Bevo gave me a little rundown about it."

Twodogs
11-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Brian Royal was a fair player too, he wore 33.

Mofra
11-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Brian Royal was a fair player too, he wore 33.
One of my favourites Choco.
Stranded on 199 games, 299 goals. I still remember him on crutches waving goodbye to the EJ Whitten stand.

Axe Man
11-01-2018, 02:55 PM
One of my favourites Choco.
Stranded on 199 games, 299 goals. I still remember him on crutches waving goodbye to the EJ Whitten stand.

Was the farewell to the Whitten stand at a later game, because I remember going to his final game when he was injured and it was at the MCG.

Foxtel have been having a history month and played the 1986 state of origin game v Western Australia the other night. Choco absolutely dominated - kicked 5 goals and had a heap of touches. When resting in the forward pocket Brad Hardie occasionally went near him on his way to a best on for WA. Rick Kennedy also played in defence for the Vics. Many regard this game as the best State of Origin game of all time.

bornadog
11-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Was the farewell to the Whitten stand at a later game, because I remember going to his final game when he was injured and it was at the MCG.

Foxtel have been having a history month and played the 1986 state of origin game v Western Australia the other night. Choco absolutely dominated - kicked 5 goals and had a heap of touches. When resting in the forward pocket Brad Hardie occasionally went near him on his way to a best on for WA. Rick Kennedy also played in defence for the Vics. Many regard this game as the best State of Origin game of all time.

Yes played his last game v Essendon at the G.

I love the Interstate match, it was a ripper.

Twodogs
11-01-2018, 06:34 PM

Classic Brad Hardie. 30 touches running out of defence while his opponent gets 35 and kicks 5. Three votes, Footscray B. Hardie..

I hope he's OK. He's one of us. A bulldog through and through.

GVGjr
03-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Talked to a mate who believes Young is going very well in his 2nd pre-season. He's added some weight and been training well.

Exciting prospect if he can take another step forward. I wonder if he is just training with the defensive group of a bit of a mixture forward and back?

bornadog
04-02-2018, 12:47 AM
Just turned 19 years old, he is as old as some of the first year draftees starting this year. Give him a few years before expecting too much.

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 02:15 AM
Just turned 19 years old, he is as old as some of the first year draftees starting this year. Give him a few years before expecting too much.

No. I expect him to win the Rising Star.

Seriously I expect him to get the chance to play a lot of senior footy this year and I think he will do well.

Go_Dogs
04-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Talked to a mate who believes Young is going very well in his 2nd pre-season. He's added some weight and been training well.

Exciting prospect if he can take another step forward. I wonder if he is just training with the defensive group of a bit of a mixture forward and back?

He can run and jump at the ball, so hope he gets some opportunity to swing forward throughout the year.

Thanks for the info, he had some very impressive moments in his first season, so great to hear he's building on that and attacking his training.

GVGjr
12-01-2019, 11:03 AM
Impressive first season but he certainly stalled in 2018 and even with the departure of Adams and perhaps Trengove playing in the ruck there might not be a regular position the back half for Young.

Could Young be groomed for a role up forward or perhaps even for a part time ruckman?

Bulldog Joe
12-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Impressive first season but he certainly stalled in 2018 and even with the departure of Adams and perhaps Trengove playing in the ruck there might not be a regular position the back half for Young.

Could Young be groomed for a role up forward or perhaps even for a part time ruckman?

I think we are showing concern for Young prematurely.

He has just had his 20th birthday and is a tall athletic player with good hands. Let him develop and find his way.

GVGjr
12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
I think we are showing concern for Young prematurely.

He has just had his 20th birthday and is a tall athletic player with good hands. Let him develop and find his way.

I might not have represented Young correctly in my previous post because I'm actually confident he will develop into a fine player for us. I'm just wondering if we will try him in other positions this year

Testekill
12-01-2019, 12:48 PM
He was recruited as a tall forward so it's always an option but he showed some great signs in his debut season and just developed in the VFL in his second. Patience mon frere

Happy Days
12-01-2019, 01:22 PM
He would seriously need to improve his footy IQ, which of course comes with experience but his body position and general nous are way behind where he should be.

He's clearly got some ability but I'm not sold on him making it.

boydogs
12-01-2019, 09:02 PM
He would seriously need to improve his footy IQ, which of course comes with experience but his body position and general nous are way behind where he should be.

He's clearly got some ability but I'm not sold on him making it.

He's had trouble with our system for sure. He and Roughead were always out of position far too often as defenders

Go_Dogs
12-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Young is a key defender in my eyes. He can become a very good one. I'm quietly confident that he'll play 12+ games this year but suspect he's one more year off being a fixture in the side.

BulldogBelle
13-01-2019, 12:53 AM
I am very impressed with Lewis Young. Can be anything. Can take a big mark, can spoil well, can run and bounce, is agile, has pace, can kick long and accurately. Needs experience.

GVGjr
13-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I am very impressed with Lewis Young. Can be anything. Can take a big mark, can spoil well, can run and bounce, is agile, has pace, can kick long and accurately. Needs experience.

JC you were talking him up most of last season so do you think he's best value woukd be as a defender or could he be tried as a forward?

Axe Man
11-06-2020, 05:03 PM
If we are persisting with Young forward, what does that mean for Schache?

Lewis looking forward (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/704201/lewis-looking-forward)

Having spent most of his AFL career as a defender, Lewis Young talks about his move forward at the start of 2020.

The bright signs continued once the 197cm defender inherited Bob Murphy's No.2 guernsey at the end of his first year, but the VFL beckoned in Young's third season as competition for spots increased.

"Going back to the VFL at times was a good thing, but at times it was a little bit tough," Young told AFL.com.au.

The mindset for the 21-year-old was not to knock down the door every week, but to hold his form and wait for his chance.

The opportunity finally came in round 22 when ruckman Tim English fell ill; 20 weeks after Young was first omitted.

"Just trying to keep myself relevant in the selection frame throughout the year was really important," Young said.

"I got a bit lucky with Tim (English) being sick in a way, it was lucky for me because I got a spot."

Young proved his worth and held on to his spot in the backline for the final three weeks of the Bulldogs 2019 season, but another challenge came his way in 2020.

With the recruitment of Josh Bruce and solid returns from Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache in 2019, it may have raised a few eyebrows to see Young swung forward at the start of the season.

"I spent a lot of time this pre-season even as a backman, but it's with Bevo's (Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge) philosophy of playing in dual positions and having everyone on the field being able to switch around," Young said.

Despite playing as a forward in junior football, the move hasn't been seamless for Young.

The swingman is a student of the game and has spent plenty of time soaking up as much knowledge as he can from forwards coach Ash Hansen.

"I'm trying to be more creative and have a bit more craft in my forward game," Young said.

The transition between positions has required Young to play with "natural instinct".

"Trying to keep the game simple and not trying to do much with or without the ball is really, especially as a key forward if you try and think too much you can get in your own head and play yourself out of the game," Young said.

He's also shaking old habits and making a conscious effort to keep his eyes on the football at all times.

"Playing as a defender you spend half your time looking at your opponent and half the time at the ball," Young said.

"Moving from that mindset is important to me."

Positioning has also been a major growth area that Young has put time into.

"I'm trying to stay in line with the ball and not drifting into positions where I'm not relevant to where the ball is going to be," Young said.

"Just trying to stay in the line of the goals so I can use my strengths which is to run and jump at the ball and bring the ball to ground or clunk a couple of marks."

That special awareness is crucial when he's playing alongside Naughton and Bruce – two players he's still building a rapport with.

"We're trying to get that chemistry for when one of us is going for the ball, one of us needs to pull out and go back towards the goals."

"That chemistry is something that grows with time, but we're trying to rush ourselves to have that chemistry more through training and through just hanging out and doing edits, but that stuff comes with time."

The disruption to the season might have put a dent in the connection building period for the Bulldogs, but this forward trio has the athleticism, strength and smarts to really do damage in the finals if everything clicks.

soupman
11-06-2020, 06:33 PM
If we are actually persisting with this I'll be pretty pissed off.

We simply do not need another key forward, at all. Maybe if we swing Naughton back again, which we have shown no sign of doing and is something i am not in favour of, but to add Young to an already very tall forwardline is idiotic, especially when Young has shown good signs in defence and is debatably better than Cordy anyway.

bornadog
11-06-2020, 11:28 PM
If we are actually persisting with this I'll be pretty pissed off.

We simply do not need another key forward, at all. Maybe if we swing Naughton back again, which we have shown no sign of doing and is something i am not in favour of, but to add Young to an already very tall forwardline is idiotic, especially when Young has shown good signs in defence and is debatably better than Cordy anyway.

Totally agree, I really don't know the thinking here.

Mofra
12-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Lewis has shown real spark as an intercepting defender, I still think he has a lot of work to do one on one... but isn't that where Alex Keath is at too?

It might be a "go forward to go back" thing as I'm sure I saw him last year when he played ruck/forward at Williamstown at their home ground and played well.
With Trengove on the outer and Cordy undersized I would have thought that's his best chance of long term success, because he sure as shit isn't pushing Marra out of the team in 2-3 years time.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Lewis has shown real spark as an intercepting defender, I still think he has a lot of work to do one on one... but isn't that where Alex Keath is at too?

It might be a "go forward to go back" thing as I'm sure I saw him last year when he played ruck/forward at Williamstown at their home ground and played well.
With Trengove on the outer and Cordy undersized I would have thought that's his best chance of long term success, because he sure as shit isn't pushing Marra out of the team in 2-3 years time.

It's an odd one.

MC appear to only want to fast track/develop certain players (i.e. Naughton and English - but Naughty has been great from day dot). Others have been thrown around/dropped regularly (Young top of the list, Schache to a lesser degree) while others have been cast aside (Trengove now, Roberts previously - despite signing a 2 year deal).

Others (Cordy) have been ordinary for a long time yet are entrenched whilst some are given multiple chances despite being well beaten (Gardner and again, English).

There are some explanations for the above, but Young is the most baffling. We've played him back and he's looked impressive despite having obvious flaws (1-v-1 defending), he's rucked and he's played forward ... yet we drop him in favour of Gardner who hasn't shown anything close to Young in any position on the ground.

I've been critical of our MC for a long, long time. It should be no surprise that the first time in 3-4 years that we consolidated a sensible lineup, we actually started - y'know - winning? Unfortunately we revoked that in the EF last year and it has continued on for R1 & R2.

Our club's in an interesting position, so time will tell.