PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

bulldogtragic
02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Lin had no shortage of offers from other clubs, for a chance to play at a bigger club, or for more selection and/or for much more money. But he turned his back on them all to stay with us and back himself in to rise another level in performance. So what are we expecting of Lin in 2017? Will Lin be become a regular senior player? Are we still focussing him on the inside midfield or are there other roles for him? It's shaping as a big year for Lin and I'm hoping he can rise to the next level that he feels he has within him.

GVGjr
02-12-2016, 07:58 PM
While I don't think he is in our best 22 it was mainly injuries that slowed him down this year and he certainly got that shoulder injury at the wrong time. Competition for midfield spots will likely come from Webb and Dale so there is incentive from Jong to make sure he's as fit as he can be and working on improving his skills.

BT, I think he's one of the harder players to get a genuine gauge on but to me he has to make a success on being that inside midfielder.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
While I don't think he is in our best 22 it was mainly injuries that slowed him down this year and he certainly got that shoulder injury at the wrong time. Competition for midfield spots will likely come from Webb and Dale so there is incentive from Jong to make sure he's as fit as he can be and working on improving his skills.

BT, I think he's one of the harder players to get a genuine gauge on but to me he has to make a success on being that inside midfielder.

100% agree on him being hard to gauge on. There seems a good tease from him followed by a lull in his progress. With Stevens & Hrovat (& Adcock to an extent) all gone and Wally out for next year (40 AFL games between them this year) there seems an opening for him to have a really good chance at making this year his breakout year. But if Clay starts to rotate through the middle with Dunkley, Webb and any kids then he's a week to week proposition. But there's less competition arguably for him next year so there's no excuses if he teases & lulls again. Perhaps we just need to change his calendar to read September for every month of the year.

always right
02-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Jong reminds me a little of Picken a few years ago. No-one had Liam in our best 22 and every pre-season many on this board suggested he would be overtaken by others on the list. It never happened.

Jong strikes me as someone who has a lot of support amongst the coaches and it wouldn't surprise me if he is in the team come round one. He generally has strong pre-seasons and hits form very early in the season. His improvement has been steady and impressive and whilst he still has shortcomings I expect him to continue his improvement in 2017 and make it difficult for others to displace him.

One of our mentally toughest players......even though he's a bit of a blubberer.

Twodogs
02-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Expect big things I say. He's backed himself in to be in our best 22 so he must have identified a spot he thinks he can be competitive for. He can take the ball and burst away from the contest with the best of them when he is playing good footy.

bornadog
02-12-2016, 09:48 PM
In order to make the the best 22 and play midfield, Jong needs to get more of the ball as well as improve his decision making skills. To often he just fires a handball nowhere, or kicks the ball forward to get rid of it. If he can improve in these two areas, he will be invaluable to the team as he doesn't lack courage and isnot afraid to put his head down.

I can't see him playing too many other roles, so he needs to make a fist of it in the midfield.

LostDoggy
03-12-2016, 01:43 AM
Jong did play 16 games last year, was top 10 in stats such as contested possessions and tackles and was one of our best players in finals week one prior to his injury. He probably would've held his spot through the finals barring the injury. If he isn't best 22, he's a lot closer than many think.

choconmientay
03-12-2016, 01:59 AM
He was also BOG in the VFL grand final ahead of the likes of Honeychurch, Webb, Stevens(gone), Williams, Lynch ... and he is backing himself in to be in next year's best 22. I am excited to see how much he can improve next season. A year back, no one would expect him to have a year he have had. He may still surprise us all over again.

Go_Dogs
03-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I see Jong holding a spot in our best 22 next year.

He's got wheels, can take an overhead mark and can do the defensive stuff. Not too sure who he displaces from our GF 22 though.

The Doctor
03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
I see Jong holding a spot in our best 22 next year.

He's got wheels, can take an overhead mark and can do the defensive stuff. Not too sure who he displaces from our GF 22 though.

well this is the great problem we have.

Aside from Jong we have Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Adams & Suckling, who have claims for a senior berth and the same would be applied to Wallis if he were fit. Let alone Jong.

So who misses out?

Remi Moses
03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
We're going to need a squad and not just top 22 .
As we saw this year injuries and keeping healthy is pretty difficult .
Best 22, I wouldn't have Lin in it, but he is more than capable

always right
03-12-2016, 05:17 PM
In order to make the the best 22 and play midfield, Jong needs to get more of the ball as well as improve his decision making skills. To often he just fires a handball nowhere, or kicks the ball forward to get rid of it. If he can improve in these two areas, he will be invaluable to the team as he doesn't lack courage and isnot afraid to put his head down.

To be fair this has always been the knock on Jong yet it should also be acknowledged that he has improved these aspects of his game considerably each year to the point I don't believe it is anywhere near the issue some still make it out to be.

bornadog
03-12-2016, 06:07 PM
To be fair this has always been the knock on Jong yet it should also be acknowledged that he has improved these aspects of his game considerably each year to the point I don't believe it is anywhere near the issue some still make it out to be.

Agree this area has improved as has his kicking. My point is to be best 22 and with so much competition for spots, he needs to take the next step.

1eyedog
03-12-2016, 06:17 PM

I'd like to see him get more of the ball. If he's not doing that he needs to be hitting the scoreboard / hurting the opposition the other way [which he is doing]. I'm happy where he's at and think he will take another step next year and there's no question the MC feel the same given how keen we were to get him into the team late in the year. He's got the attributes to be a point of difference and at his best he's definitely best 22.

The other issue, and perhaps the biggest, is he needs to believe he can contribute each week at this level.

Bulldog4life
04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
He was one of the few who played well against Freo in the last match in the home and away before he was injured.Had 28 possessions.Continues to improve yearly. Really happy he stayed.

comrade
04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Geez, I'd love it if it all clicked for Jong. He reminds me a little of Aaron Hall from GC - big bodied, athletic mid prone to big gaps between his best and worst games. Hall had a real purple patch early in the year and dropped off big time. If Jong can reach a similar level, accumulating big numbers and being dangerous up forward and can find a way to maintain that form, he becomes a huge asset and point of difference. We lack a power athlete in the midfield, like a Dangerfield/Judd burst type. Of course, he'll never reach anywhere near those levels but we don't need him too. 4 or 5 quality moments of burst clearances that lead to scores, along with some aerial wins up forward would be more than enough per game.

Gut feel is he has a middling year and gets overtaken by the likes of Webb, Williams, Dunkley in the midfield pecking order.

Twodogs
04-12-2016, 01:17 PM
His kicking has been a bit of a worry. But he can kick because some of his long kicking on the run is really good. He needs to work on his set shot routine if he's going to rest forward.

1eyedog
04-12-2016, 06:31 PM
He was one of the few who played well against Freo in the last match in the home and away before he was injured.Had 28 possessions.Continues to improve yearly. Really happy he stayed.

Was really good against West Coke two weeks later as well prior to getting injured.

ratsmac
04-12-2016, 09:20 PM
well this is the great problem we have.

Aside from Jong we have Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Adams & Suckling, who have claims for a senior berth and the same would be applied to Wallis if he were fit. Let alone Jong.

So who misses out?

I think we need to approach the afl for a 19th team! Western-bulldogs A!

bornadog
05-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Geez, I'd love it if it all clicked for Jong. He reminds me a little of Aaron Hall from GC - big bodied, athletic mid prone to big gaps between his best and worst games. Hall had a real purple patch early in the year and dropped off big time. If Jong can reach a similar level, accumulating big numbers and being dangerous up forward and can find a way to maintain that form, he becomes a huge asset and point of difference. We lack a power athlete in the midfield, like a Dangerfield/Judd burst type. Of course, he'll never reach anywhere near those levels but we don't need him too. 4 or 5 quality moments of burst clearances that lead to scores, along with some aerial wins up forward would be more than enough per game.

Gut feel is he has a middling year and gets overtaken by the likes of Webb, Williams, Dunkley in the midfield pecking order.
Early this year Jong said he is modelling his game on Danger.

Bulldog Joe
05-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Picking best 22 is no longer applicable at the Dogs as Beveridge has changed the whole landscape.

He looks to use everyone on the list as evidenced by only Hamilton and Lynch not getting a game already.

If Jong can solidify as a regular playing 15 to 20 games he will have done very well.

He does have the ability to burst from a stoppage like Dangerfield and is very good overhead. If he gets it to come together consistently he makes us a better team.

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Picking best 22 is no longer applicable at the Dogs as Beveridge has changed the whole landscape.

He looks to use everyone on the list as evidenced by only Hamilton and Lynch not getting a game already.

If Jong can solidify as a regular playing 15 to 20 games he will have done very well.

He does have the ability to burst from a stoppage like Dangerfield and is very good overhead. If he gets it to come together consistently he makes us a better team.

Agreed. It is a week by week proposition rather than a 'best' 22.

bornadog
01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Jong is slowly making progress but he still doesn't get enough of the ball, considering he is playing midfield. The last two weeks I have been disappointed in his goal kicking, especially when he had chances to score.

He is also not consistent enough throughout the four quarters. He seems to disappear in the middle of the game.

I am confident he will hold his place and get better and better.

How do others see his progress?

always right
01-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Plenty seem to think Jong will be replaced once Wallis, Dickson and Crameri return....or be overtaken by Webb or Dale. I'm not so sure.

His form has been pretty solid and he has the benefit of having some attributes the others don't. I think the MC like and rate Jongy and as long as he continues to show improvement in his weaker areas, I expect him to hold his position.

I have no question that his decision making has improved and despite some impetuous handballs, his ability to take the game on results in some of our best and most exciting transitions. His quick handballs are clearly by instruction but he needs to learn to weight them better when the situation requires it rather than automatically fire bullets. If he could finish his work better in front of goal he should average at least one goal a game.

I like how he's progressing....just needs a little more polish. His marking and courage can never be questioned.

Hotdog60
01-05-2017, 10:42 AM
I think he brings some fine attributes to our game.
That front on tackle he put in on a second effort shows what he is capable of.
But for all the good he does, he can undo his great work with a bit of sloppy play.
I too think he will only get better and he has only played 45 games and averages 15 disposals and 4.5 tackles a game.
Still only learning by games played at AFL level like a lot of our players.

merantau
01-05-2017, 09:14 PM
With a full list to pick from Lin and a few others will struggle to keep their spots. He has been good at times but too often drifts out of games. One thing people can't knock is his courage and consistentcy in the packs. When the action is swirling and whirling Lin Jong is always in the thick of it doing his bit.

always right
01-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Like others in the 16-22 range, he'll hold his spot whilst his form holds up. It's for others not in the 22 to force their way in.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Some really good signs of improvement, but still some bad habits still about. If he can continue improving, using his burst pace to real advantage and reduce the bad habits (handballing to others under more pressure etc) then he will be firmly best 22. Even Moreso if he starts nailing most of his goal scoring opportunities.

bornadog
23-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Press Conference

* Saints looking good, I imagine another big contest. We're looking to fix issues around ball & hopefully get the win

* I've had a really good pre-season, uninterrupted. Hurt of missing out does makes me that little bit hungrier

* Not really in ruck to win hit outs, but once the ball hits the ground I'm just another midfielder

* Adding different strings to my game, going in the ruck. Feel like I've been more consistent this year which is nice

* Bevo spoke about how we let it slip and how it been a theme this year, but best thing we can do is move on and prepare for this week

* There's things like skill errors and teams playing well that creates inconsistencies but we're working on it

bornadog
23-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Improving Dog happy to be a little big man

Ryan Davidson May 23, 2017 3:03 PM

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/506235-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

AS A coach, Luke Beveridge does things a little bit differently.

Whether it's quoting children's author 'Dr Seuss' in speeches, or comparing the game's rules to comedy series 'Fawlty Towers', you never quite know what to expect from the premiership mentor.

But that tendency to surprise was no more evident than recently, with Beveridge employing midfielders to regularly contest the ruck in the absence of injured big men Jordan Roughead and Tom Campbell.

Lin Jong was one of the ball winners tasked with helping Tom Boyd combat the giants of the AFL, and the athletic 23-year-old didn't mind one bit.

"I'm not there to win hit-outs, as long as I compete and once the ball lands on the ground I'm just like another midfielder," Jong told reporters on Tuesday.

"I guess it's been a pretty good transition, (the coaches) know what they want of me and I know what to do."

While he's been busy adding another string to his bow, Jong has also established himself in the Dogs' best line-up.

The former rookie, who is averaging 20 possessions and five tackles a game in 2017, adds a point of difference to the premier's on-ball division as he has explosive pace to burst away from a stoppage.

After missing out on the club's drought-breaking flag last season, Jong is keen to remain part of the premiership defence after playing just 48 games in six seasons at Whitten Oval.

"I'm just adding versatility to my game. I didn't think I'd be playing in the ruck that much in the AFL, but it's going OK," he said.

"I feel like I've been a lot more consistent, in terms of my last few years I've been a bit in and out (of the team).

"I don't feel comfortable thinking I'm a walk-up start (in the side), so I put that pressure on myself every week and I feel that's why I'm playing more consistently.

"The hurt of missing out (on the Grand Final), I guess, makes you want it that little bit more."

With the Dogs sitting eighth ahead of a massive clash against St Kilda on Saturday, Jong thinks he knows what the coach is talking about when he curiously compared the side's up and down form this season to an episode of the sci-fi television series The X Files.

"I haven't really seen the The X Files, but I'd imagine he is referring to our consistency throughout four quarters," he said.

"There are things like skill errors and sometimes the other teams are playing really well, but we haven't quite put our finger on it, so we're working to find our best form."

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Jong is slowly making progress but he still doesn't get enough of the ball, considering he is playing midfield. The last two weeks I have been disappointed in his goal kicking, especially when he had chances to score.

He is also not consistent enough throughout the four quarters. He seems to disappear in the middle of the game.

I am confident he will hold his place and get better and better.

How do others see his progress?

You have to admire his courage and was unlucky not to be part of our Premiership win. With Wallis back, together with Bontempelli and hopefully before long Liberatore, Jong does begin to give us more depth in the midfield. I see him being in our best 22.

bornadog
23-05-2017, 05:11 PM
You have to admire his courage and was unlucky not to be part of our Premiership win. With Wallis back, together with Bontempelli and hopefully before long Liberatore, Jong does begin to give us more depth in the midfield. I see him being in our best 22.

Agree, getting better every week.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2017, 05:49 PM
He'd be among the first picked recently. I'm really happy he's continued to improve, his burst pace stands out. I was of the view I'd rather sign Hrovat if the trade offer for Jong was good, but I'm happy enough that we went the other way. And happier again if he can keep improving.

Cyberdoggie
25-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Well i'm happy to claim credit Jong as I've been a fan of him since he started with the club.

Yes he has some weaknesses, but he also has strengths which we don't have a lot of (ie pace, can jump, decent mark, plays well in big games). While he still does deliver the odd hot handball, he has vastly improved the worst parts of his game. His kicking is reasonably reliable now with the odd miss kick, and sometimes his vision is actually pretty good. He is getting less handball happy and is getting the confidence back to take the game on (and gee he becomes a different player when he does), and his special awareness is improving. Lin I think tries to be a little more conservative with his disposal as he knows he's not elite in that area.
Whereas Caleb Daniel seems to be doing the opposite, he is elite but thinks he needs to hold onto the ball too long and hit the impossible too often that he is turning it over way too much.

1eyedog
25-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Well i'm happy to claim credit Jong as I've been a fan of him since he started with the club.

Yes he has some weaknesses, but he also has strengths which we don't have a lot of (ie pace, can jump, decent mark, plays well in big games). While he still does deliver the odd hot handball, he has vastly improved the worst parts of his game. His kicking is reasonably reliable now with the odd miss kick, and sometimes his vision is actually pretty good. He is getting less handball happy and is getting the confidence back to take the game on (and gee he becomes a different player when he does), and his special awareness is improving. Lin I think tries to be a little more conservative with his disposal as he knows he's not elite in that area.
Whereas Caleb Daniel seems to be doing the opposite, he is elite but thinks he needs to hold onto the ball too long and hit the impossible too often that he is turning it over way too much.

You do have to admit that Caleb has been one of our best players over the past 3-4 games. After some very indifferent early form he is back to his best and hasn't missed a target the past few weeks. I'd think Caleb has been our best performed player since the GWS game.

boydogs
25-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. It would also be good to see him break some tackles instead of awkward handballs when he runs into trouble

boydogs
25-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. A lot of his hospital handballs are where he has sprinted with the ball right up to where his team mate is so when he gets caught it's an awkward 1m handball and the same tackler is still in play

It would also be good to see him break some tackles

soupman
26-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. It would also be good to see him break some tackles instead of awkward handballs when he runs into trouble

Funny time to post this. I think the last two weeks he has made huge improvements in his ball use and disposal. The last two weeks he has typically grabbed the ball, accelerated away from the contest for 5 steps and then steadied and kicked it forward. Sure earlier this year there were multiple occasions where he handballed to stationary players in worse spots than him but he has recently seemed to have fixed that somewhat.

Mantis
26-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Is it just me or is Lin or fastest player (behind JJ) with ball in hand, but our slowest when chasing?

soupman
26-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Is it just me or is Lin or fastest player (behind JJ) with ball in hand, but our slowest when chasing?

Tbf I think Tom Boyd is our slowest chaser but I don't think it's from lack of effort. Although on recent examples maybe it's Bailey Williams.

It's an interesting point, I think it's more because Lin doesn't get the ball much in open play but rather in a contest which he can accelerate out of. It's hard to accelerate out of a contest and follow someone, and generally around the field he seems to be stuck to a player so doesn't need to chase.

always right
27-05-2017, 11:45 AM

I'm a bit with you on this one. With ball in hand he is explosive but he appears to just lope along when chasing. Reminds my of Johnno when he played.....ran like a man possessed when he had the ball but really laboured when chasing. I don't think he ever caught a player in his whole career. The general rule is that the more a player throws his head around, the least effort he is making to chase. I know this because it applied to me when I played.

Avoid the rush
27-05-2017, 05:42 PM
If Jong could kick like Suckling, and Suckling had Jong's pace and courage, we would have two of the best ever Afl/Vfl players in history. Unfortunately this will never eventuate, therefore we have two players with flaws that I cannot see them overcoming. I hope and pray that I am wrong
!!!!

always right
27-05-2017, 09:42 PM
If Jong could kick like Suckling, and Suckling had Jong's pace and courage, we would have two of the best ever Afl/Vfl players in history. Unfortunately this will never eventuate, therefore we have two players with flaws that I cannot see them overcoming. I hope and pray that I am wrong
!!!!
Reckon he took a step back tonight with some of his execution however there has been significant improvement in his kicking and decision making over the last month.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Reckon he took a step back tonight with some of his execution however there has been significant improvement in his kicking and decision making over the last month.

Yep. 10 rounds so far:

Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back.

Jong is still 5 steps ahead of his AFL form last year. That's the take home message. He's progressively getting better.

bornadog
27-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Yep. 10 rounds so far:

Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back.

Jong is still 5 steps ahead of his AFL form last year. That's the take home message. He's progressively getting better.

He went missing again for awhile, only had 3 touches in the last quarter, but I still maintain he is overall on the up.

merantau
27-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Yep, definitely on an upward curve for mine.

Ozza
28-05-2017, 01:49 AM
Thought it was our inside mids that turned the tide in our favour in the second quarter, and Jongy was one of the key contributors. BAD raised a valid point, that he tends to fade out of the game late. But I thought overall, he was a good player again for us.

josie
28-05-2017, 01:57 AM
Looking forward to him backing himself to kick a goal rather than dish off when close to goal. Presuming it is a confidence issue.

bornadog
28-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Thought it was our inside mids that turned the tide in our favour in the second quarter, and Jongy was one of the key contributors. BAD raised a valid point, that he tends to fade out of the game late. But I thought overall, he was a good player again for us.

I thought his inside work was very good, did a lot of little things that people don't notice.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Fingers crossed its not his ACL.

I'm sick of the regular major injuries our lads keep getting.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2017, 08:38 PM
He was in tears in the rooms.

Our shocking run of injuries continues.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2017, 08:42 PM

What's our recent ACL run: C. Smith, C. Smith, Redders, Libba, R. Smith, C. Smith, Bob, Prudden, Redders, R. Smith, Jong (Wally broken leg)

That's insane for one club over 5 or 6 years.

bornadog
18-06-2017, 09:45 PM

one word Barlow

westdog54
18-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Was it 2006 that we had 5 ACL's?

hujsh
18-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Was it 2006 that we had 5 ACL's?

2005. Murph, Darcy, Hahn, Morgan and the other escapes me assuming the number is correct. Walsh?

Eastdog
18-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Yeah he has been very good for us this year so sucks that this has happened. Just so frustrating also on the injury front. When will we ever have a full team to choose from.

Twodogs
19-06-2017, 01:37 PM
2005. Murph, Darcy, Hahn, Morgan and the other escapes me assuming the number is correct. Walsh?

Yep, pretty sure it was Walsh.

westdog54
19-06-2017, 06:54 PM
It was.

Plus another player had a broken leg that year IIRC

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Terrible luck to Jongy just as he seemed to really be solidifying his spot at AFL level.
Sure he'll come back strong. Best of luck with his rehab.

GVGjr
19-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Terrible luck to Jongy just as he seemed to really be solidifying his spot at AFL level.
Sure he'll come back strong. Best of luck with his rehab.

Well said, how touching was it to see his mother give him a hug yesterday? He's got a great support team around him

Remi Moses
19-06-2017, 07:54 PM
He'll be back and I'm tipping earlier than expected .

Remi Moses
19-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Well said, how touching was it to see his mother give him a hug yesterday? He's got a great support team around him

Spoke to his mum at a Footscray game . Lovely person

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Kind of side issue. On the coverage Brad Johnson pretty much said no one player (ex. maybe Bailey Dale) had improved upon their 2016 form. I think Jong is a clear improver and was disappointed that Johno wouldn't or didn't pay Jong that compliment.

Johno gets a 'anchor' for that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2017, 08:04 PM

It was very nice to see that even in the big boy macho football world there is still room for the comfort and solace of a mother's embrace.
Its one of the features i really admire about our group in general.
The no dickheads policy that was in vogue even before Bevo took over creates a very familial atmosphere around the club. At times it can produce negative outcomes on the field -like when we gave up a 55 point lead against the Saints back in 2015 following Clay's reinjuring of his knee. However its thatsame genuine feeling for each that i think played a big part in our success in September last year.
I hope the lads can use that again to overcome their current malaise. Because they are only going to come out the other side if they rekindle that spirit of togetherness.

macca
19-06-2017, 11:18 PM
BEst wishes to JOng for a speedy recovery . HIs in good hands with our experIciend staff and great supportive people who know all about recos.
NOthing more humble and comforting than mums big hug , well maybe if you got 40 mates around you and the whole club.

I am a big fan of Jong and wants him to achieve his potential

Agree anchor on Johnno for missng improvement in our list especially for Lin. Williams has one who has improved.

Twodogs
20-06-2017, 08:39 AM
It was very nice to see that even in the big boy macho football world there is still room for the comfort and solace of a mother's embrace.
Its one of the features i really admire about our group in general.
The no dickheads policy that was in vogue even before Bevo took over creates a very familial atmosphere around the club. At times it can produce negative outcomes on the field -like when we gave up a 55 point lead against the Saints back in 2015 following Clay's reinjuring of his knee. However its thatsame genuine feeling for each that i think played a big part in our success in September last year.
I hope the lads can use that again to overcome their current malaise. Because they are only going to come out the other side if they rekindle that spirit of togetherness.

Lin Jong is a westy and us westy boys all love our mums. Nine times out of ten our mum is the only one we listen to and the only one who can talk any sense into us big tough blokes. Wetern suburban boys and their mums are inseparable. I can remember telling my dad what I'd *!*!*!*!ing do to him if he kept talking about my mum like that when he was whinging about the old dear one day. He looked quite shocked.

soupman
20-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Lin Jong is a westy and us westy boys all love our mums. Nine times out of ten our mum is the only one we listen to and the only one who can talk any sense into us big tough blokes. Wetern suburban boys and their mums are inseparable. I can remember telling my dad what I'd *!*!*!*!ing do to him if he kept talking about my mum like that when he was whinging about the old dear one day. He looked quite shocked.

He's actually from Glen Waverley which I believe is firmly in the East unless we are using a reference point that is not Melbourne.

Twodogs
20-06-2017, 10:19 AM
He's actually from Glen Waverley which I believe is firmly in the East unless we are using a reference point that is not Melbourne.

There you go. I thought Lin was from St Albans.

bornadog
20-06-2017, 12:15 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DClWpfdUAAACB1M.jpg

Twodogs
20-06-2017, 10:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DClWpfdUAAACB1M.jpg

Hmm. I wonder what number she has on her jumper? I can see a six sticking out. Lukey D's #6 maybe? Or she might be a Magic Maclean devotee, or Declan Hamilton or Brad Lynch?

josie
21-06-2017, 12:05 AM
So sad for Jongy. Was enjoying his continual improvement, speed and bravery. Looking forward to his return early next year.

westdog54
22-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Hmm. I wonder what number she has on her jumper? I can see a six sticking out. Lukey D's #6 maybe? Or she might be a Magic Maclean devotee, or Declan Hamilton or Brad Lynch?

Cheeky.

Remember that video of Lin's mum jumping up and down in the loungeroom after the win in Sydney 2 years ago?

https://twitter.com/LinJong46/status/594668314523086850

bornadog
22-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Cheeky.

Remember that video of Lin's mum jumping up and down in the loungeroom after the win in Sydney 2 years ago?

https://twitter.com/LinJong46/status/594668314523086850

Great Passion