PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Tristan Tweedie

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
The Western Bulldogs 2017 playing list has been finalised with the signing of Tristan Tweedie as a Category B Rookie.

The 18-year-old Tweedie joins the Club through its Next Generation Academy.

“I’ve [already] been welcomed with open arms, Tweedle told westernbulldogs.com.au on Tuesday.

“It’s definitely an exciting opportunity to be a part of a program like this and I look forward to what the future holds.”

Tweedie played two games of football this year before injury ended his season early, but did enough to impress with his versatility and game sense.

Standing at 190cm, Tweedie kicked six goals in round one of the TAC Cup for the Eastern Ranges and has shown that he’s a natural playmaker, clean at ground level and is a reliable set shot.

What they said:

“Tristan’s just got that X-factor – a beautiful footballer who moves really well.

“He is very raw in terms of his body … is a beautiful set-shot, lovely hands on the lead, good in the air, clean below his knees, 190cm, [he’s] going to be really dangerous and hard to match up.”

- Eastern Ranges Talent Manager Len Villani

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Another benefit of the financial success of the premiership. Having the money available to grab an extra rookie. Another tall rookie too. We certainly like them tall this year.

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 04:48 PM
An interview from earlier this year:

Name: Tristan Tweedie
Team: Eastern Ranges
D/O/B: 11/06/1998
Height: 190cm
Weight: 85kg
Position: Key Forward
Barracks For: St Kilda

FP: Hi Tristan, and thanks for taking the time to have a chat with us. First off, what do you feel your main strengths as a footballer are?
TT: Definitely my athleticism, speed and the ability to lead and take a mark.

FP: What would you say then are your main focuses for improvement in 2016?
TT: I ran a 12.5 beep this year at testing, but I was coming off a few achilles niggles in the month leading up to testing which was not ideal – so that’s definitely an area I need to improve on this year. Also, I need continuity on my body and to continue to develop my weaker areas.

FP: As a forward, who influences you the most, or who do you try and model your game on?
TT: The likes of Lance Franklin and Joe Daniher are sources of inspiration – key forwards who like to run and jump at the ball.

FP: Eastern Ranges kicked off the year in style on Thursday, how did it feel bagging six goals?
TT: It was certainly good personally to start the year off well, but it was great for the team – the way the boys turned the ball over and restricted Calder to play on our terms was great. I feel we made a great first impression on the league and hopefully, we can continue to move forward as a team.

FP: That being said, do you think Eastern Ranges can go one better this year?
TT: Of course, within our camp we believe we’ve done the work to reach the ultimate goal. It’s only early though so we’ll have to keep working hard and wait and see.

FP: Apart from yourself, of course, which of your team-mates is worth keeping a close eye on this year?
TT: I wouldn’t be able to pick just one out, the side has a great core with a lot of depth.

FP: Ok, what would you say your main goals for 2016 are?
TT: To play my role in the team and make my teammates better. Hopefully, I play well enough to get invited to metro, but I know that won’t come without team success first and with that, any individual success will hopefully follow.

FP: Perhaps a silly question, but what’s your ultimate goal?
TT: To play AFL football

FP: Thanks again for your time Tristan, and all the best for 2016.

chef
06-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Why did Hawthorn not take him?

bornadog
06-12-2016, 05:20 PM
What does category B mean

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 05:24 PM

The same sort of classification as international rookies and athletes from other codes etc. Not taken through the rookie draft, but able to be added to a list without using the spots allocated for rookies via the rookie draft. Costs us salary, but that's it. It seems to be a mechanism for clubs with money to bring in extra talent above and beyond. But now we have some cash, we can afford to buy a rookie and see what happens.

Twodogs
06-12-2016, 05:29 PM

That they qualify under international zoning rules and don't count on the primary or rookie lists but can be promoted the same as any rookie. It's one of the ways us big, rich clubs get to screw the little ones over baby.

G-Mo77
06-12-2016, 05:55 PM
So we'll have 2 LTI's, for arguments sake if he's good enough to play Seniors in Round 1 he can play and follows the same rules as the other rookie listed players?

LostDoggy
06-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the Premiers T'N'T! ;)

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 05:59 PM
So we'll have 2 LTI's, for arguments sake if he's good enough to play Seniors in Round 1 he can play and follows the same rules as the other rookie listed players?

I believe so, but don't hold me to it. The American tall guys from St Kilda & Collingwood played AFL while being Category B rookies.

always right
06-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the "bird".

lemmon
06-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Poor Ash Hansen, his forward line is starting to look like the Harlem Globetrotters

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 07:25 PM

Not sure. But the wording of our media is interesting in that we secured him through our Next Generation Academy. Maybe he was re-zoned to us, or similar, if he is in our academy?

dukedog
06-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Tweedie or tweedle. I get confused because of the moron afl reportes dont do their freakin job... is the fox footy commentary team naming the players again?

hujsh
06-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Looks like a rugby player in the interview on the site. Thick neck and looks bulked up already. Possibly from having a number of lower body injuries?

bulldogtragic
06-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Looks like a rugby player in the interview on the site. Thick neck and looks bulked up already. Possibly from having a number of lower body injuries?

Fairly serious looking brace on his left lower leg too.

Twodogs
06-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Fairly serious looking brace on his left lower leg too.

Maybe that's why Hawthorn turned him up.

1eyedog
06-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Tweedie.

Build is genetic. His old man is very solid. Will provide a write up about him soonish.

Eastdog
06-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the premiers Tristan.

Twodogs
06-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Welcome aboard The Ride Tristan.

boydogs
07-12-2016, 12:30 AM

Foot problem apparently

http://puu.sh/sG2B4/0b4e9e6e0d.png

bulldogtragic
07-12-2016, 12:41 AM
I guess their medicos are working full time on Jaeger. We have the luxury of great surgeons and elite sports science services, and no rush on playing him. Another long term investment.

Dry Rot
07-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Foot problem apparently

http://puu.sh/sG2B4/0b4e9e6e0d.png

So now we have two Stringers? Excellent.

Twodogs
07-12-2016, 01:08 AM
We have access to the equipment and sports medicine experts at VU sports science department too so we are better placed than most clubs to deal with problems like poor blood flow to injured joints.

VU helped a lot getting Libba and Macrae back in time for the finals.

Sedat
07-12-2016, 01:45 AM
I guess their medicos are working full time on Jaeger. We have the luxury of great surgeons and elite sports science services, and no rush on playing him. Another long term investment.
We have ridiculous depth right now so I really like the philosophy of stockpiling talented players with an eye on the medium and longer term.

bulldogtragic
07-12-2016, 10:04 AM
We have ridiculous depth right now so I really like the philosophy of stockpiling talented players with an eye on the medium and longer term.

Great isn't it. Only equaled by the fact we also have a bucketload of salary cap banked for the option of big free agents or trades to go with our young list. How long until the AFEL essentially fund GWS to steal JMac & Dal...

KT31
07-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Great isn't it. Only equaled by the fact we also have a bucketload of salary cap banked for the option of big free agents or trades to go with our young list. How long until the AFEL essentially fund GWS to steal JMac & Dal...

Didn't they have a crack at Dal last year and he stuck with us to see the job threw ?

Mofra
07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Yes - plus from mid season teams can play a rookie without needing to have someone on the LTI list.
Our cat B rookie listed (Dion Johnstone) was taken by Melbourne in the draft otherwise we would have taken him too

Mofra
07-12-2016, 11:09 AM
We have access to the equipment and sports medicine experts at VU sports science department too so we are better placed than most clubs to deal with problems like poor blood flow to injured joints.

VU helped a lot getting Libba and Macrae back in time for the finals.
They also saved Easton Wood's career by spending a whole summer basically re-teaching him to run so he didn't destroy his hamstrings.

He's had a decent couple of seasons since that summer ;)

Twodogs
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Hasn't he just. Just think if Callan Ward had said no to GWS then their contingency plan was to throw a stupid amount of money at Easton Wood instead. Whoever was giving them information on which players on our list to go hard at knew the list intimately.

LostDoggy
07-12-2016, 10:57 PM

How good does it feel to know that if we get injuries that we have an abundnce of depth that we just kep rolling on.
Couldn't have even envisaged us being in such a healthy position list wise a couple of years ago.

1eyedog
16-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Spoke to his old man today. Tristan has moved in with Bob at Bob's new house in Northcote for the duration of the pre-season. Speaks volumes of Bob having a grown teenager in his family home to assist him as best he can on his trajectory.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Spoke to his old man today. Tristan has moved in with Bob at Bob's new house in Northcote for the duration of the pre-season. Speaks volumes of Bob having a grown teenager in his family home to assist him as best he can on his trajectory.

That's wonderful to hear. I'm sure every new recruit would've killed for this opportunity, as would I. Hopefully Tristan sees it as a vote of confidence that the spiritual leader of the entire planet wants him in his home.

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 01:15 AM
That's wonderful to hear. I'm sure every new recruit would've killed for this opportunity, as would I. Hopefully Tristan sees it as a vote of confidence that the spiritual leader of the entire planet wants him in his home.

I don't think the offer of accomodation over preseason extends to supporters.

bulldogtragic
17-12-2016, 10:47 AM
I don't think the offer of accomodation over preseason extends to supporters.

Fair enough, but I'm a member. To paraphrase what dickheads said to me in a former working life, 'I pay his wage'. :D

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Fair enough, but I'm a member. To paraphrase what dickheads said to me in a former working life, 'I pay his wage'. :D

Maybe a quick tour of the house then.

bulldogtragic
17-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Maybe a quick tour of the house then.

That's much better. And I want a meal. And soup doesn't count.

GVGjr
17-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Listen Bania, soup and a sandwich does. That is a meal.

bulldogtragic
17-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Listen Bania, soup and a sandwich does. That is a meal.

Soup's not a meal. I pay my membership so Bob can buy a nice new house and he won't even buy me a meal.

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Not according to the Dead Kennedys. And I've pretty much tried to live my life by the DK ethos.

1eyedog
17-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Not according to the Dead Kennedys. And I've pretty much tried to live my life by the DK ethos.

Really? I'm never too drunk!

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Really? I'm never too drunk!

I was thinking more a Soup is Good Food way.

1eyedog
22-02-2017, 11:23 PM
Spoke to Tristan at his old man's house in Healesville this week and to his old man on the phone tonight. Here's a summary;

Very happy at the Bulldogs, very happy. Said it doesn't matter if you're pick 100 or pick 1 as soon as you walk in the door you are one of them, all on the same page, all equal. I assume this is a Bob thing because in the past there has been strict hierarchies in footy clubs, ours included.

Stayed at Bob's house first up for two weeks in Northcote right after Bob moved in. Tristan felt awkward about moving in with Bob and his family but Bob wouldn't have a bar of no apparently. Justine welcomed him warmly. I was told Bob took him to all the right breakfast eateries a few times to help him mix with the boys and now he goes on his own. What a champ Bob is - super leader. Spent a week at Lachie Hunter's house and is now with an adoption family in Altona. word out of that house is he is a model citizen. Does not go out, does not smoke / drink / swear anything always cleans up = good human. Lives footy all week and when he comes home to Healesville on weekends doesn't talk about it just to clear his head.

No idea why he didn't get to the Hawks. After his leg injury he turned up at the Hawks at 190.6cm and 97kg and they said he was too fat, apparently were very upfront with him he said he would work hard etc. but they lost interest and took (I think) the Sudanese rookie with their Rookie B selection.

Dogs were always going to take him. Made him do numerous bone density scans on his leg, fat tests, Dal went out to meet the family a few times and the family were confident he would get to the dogs. Has lost 5kg since preseason training so is at 92kg and has grown a bit over a cm to 192cm as of last week. Dad thinks he is still growing and that's what the dogs suspected.

Great mark, plays back and forward and super-aerobic. Is indigenous and has a turn of speed for a man his size. Has a good head on his shoulders and is going to give it every chance.

Looking to play VFL late in the season. Club says no rush, he's cheap to maintain and has upside. Says preseason nearly killed him but it's his first one.

A potential player of the future.

I am a major client of his old man and he is going to sort me out a change room pass for a game this year = pumped.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Great news all round! Thanks 1ED.

westdog54
23-02-2017, 09:30 AM
VFL late season. Do they have a plan for him to get some footy into him during the year? Can he play VFL development somewhere?

1eyedog
23-02-2017, 09:32 AM
VFL late season. Do they have a plan for him to get some footy into him during the year? Can he play VFL development somewhere?

Not sure mate will follow up on that one. He's definitely back into full training with the main group now so is right to go.

1eyedog
23-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Righto just sent him a text. He's not playing elsewhere this year they will just get him 100% right in terms of his injury, his body and his head space and he'll go straight into the VFL when he is ready. He'll continue to train with the main group until then.

Mofra
23-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Righto just sent him a text. He's not playing elsewhere this year they will just get him 100% right in terms of his injury, his body and his head space and he'll go straight into the VFL when he is ready. He'll continue to train with the main group until then.
Sounds like we're playing the long game with him which is fine for a 192cm kid who has already shed weight and is quick for his size.

Thanks for the info

bornadog
23-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the updates, really appreciated. I have my fingers crossed that he will be a good player and apply himself. What a great opportunity for a young kid to play at the highest level and the money ain't too bad either.

Twodogs
23-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the updates, really appreciated. I have my fingers crossed that he will be a good player and apply himself. What a great opportunity for a young kid to play at the highest level and the money ain't too bad either.

It's brilliant money to do high intensity workouts and watch football!

Dry Rot
23-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Dogs were always going to take him. Made him do numerous bone density scans on his leg, fat tests, Dal went out to meet the family a few times and the family were confident he would get to the dogs. Has lost 5kg since preseason training so is at 92kg and has grown a bit over a cm to 192cm as of last week. Dad thinks he is still growing and that's what the dogs suspected.

Another 4 or 5 cm would be useful.

Dry Rot
23-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Great mark, plays back and forward and super-aerobic. Is indigenous and has a turn of speed for a man his size. Has a good head on his shoulders and is going to give it every chance.

In time, Crameri's replacement?

westdog54
24-02-2017, 07:19 AM

If he had the mental discipline to handle training non stop with no immediate prospect of even a VFL game, he'll have a big tick from me before he even gets handed a Guernsey.

Not every footballer would take to a plan like that.

1eyedog
24-02-2017, 08:28 AM
If he had the mental discipline to handle training non stop with no immediate prospect of even a VFL game, he'll have a big tick from me before he even gets handed a Guernsey.

Not every footballer would take to a plan like that.

Could you imagine being paid well for a kid and getting to run around with Bob Murphy all year doing what you love?

Not sure on the Crameri replacement. Because he moves well across the ground and is a strong mark he's modelling his game on N. Riewoldt purely because he wants to be able to make as many contests as he can this year in the VFL. Wants to build his tank and will spend the year at training doing that.

Need to remember he's a speculative pick and wasn't an elite kid in anyway. He'll work hard to earn a spot though and we have an excellent track record of turning rookies into v. good players.

KT31
24-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks a the updates 1eye, sounds like he's doing all that is asked, committed at having good crack at it, good luck to him and lets hope we get one up on the Hawks.
I know its a risk with any young kid, but I was thinking if this kid is as talented as we hope and there is little cost in his development how lazy and pig-headed it is from the Hawks to turn him away because of a few extra kilo's.
Hopefully they will look back and rue the decision in the not to distant future.

1eyedog
24-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks a the updates 1eye, sounds like he's doing all that is asked, committed at having good crack at it, good luck to him and lets hope we get one up on the Hawks.
I know its a risk with any young kid, but I was thinking if this kid is as talented as we hope and there is little cost in his development how lazy and pig-headed it is from the Hawks to turn him away because of a few extra kilo's.
Hopefully they will look back and rue the decision in the not to distant future.

Has to be more than that, but perhaps they were worried about application. He came back a bit overweight because he couldn't run but either way the Hawks seemed interested and then dropped him and never provided a follow up. They probably just became more interested in the Sudanese rookie they took.

Mofra
24-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Has to be more than that, but perhaps they were worried about application. He came back a bit overweight because he couldn't run but either way the Hawks seemed interested and then dropped him and never provided a follow up. They probably just became more interested in the Sudanese rookie they took.
At the time they said they had enough mid-sized marking options on the list. Sicily comes to mind who is a real talent.

1eyedog
24-02-2017, 03:12 PM
At the time they said they had enough mid-sized marking options on the list. Sicily comes to mind who is a real talent.

Yeah he stood out in the 2014 VFL Grand Final. Beautiful field kick too.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Being lazy right now, but does anyone know how long we can keep a Cat-B rookie as a Cat-B? That is if we want to keep him can we leave him as a B next year, or if we wanted to keep him does he need to be elevated into a fully fledged rookie listed player?

bornadog
24-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Being lazy right now, but does anyone know how long we can keep a Cat-B rookie as a Cat-B? That is if we want to keep him can we leave him as a B next year, or if we wanted to keep him does he need to be elevated into a fully fledged rookie listed player?

AFEL are looking at changing the whole rookie system, even getting rid of it.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2017, 03:25 PM
AFEL are looking at changing the whole rookie system, even getting rid of it.

Yep, but I'm curious as to how long we can keep him as Cat-B or otherwise not taking a formal spot. Even if they abolish the rookie list, the point of Cat-B is to bring in others who wouldn't ordinarily get drafted. Making a Cat-B count in an expanded list wouldn't be good as clubs wouldn't do it anymore. So I'm assuming it's 2 or 3 years that we could leave Tweedie in this category not impacting the main and/or rookie list before he gets cut, expires any time limit or can walk?.?.

bornadog
24-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Yep, but I'm curious as to how long we can keep him as Cat-B or otherwise not taking a formal spot. Even if they abolish the rookie list, the point of Cat-B is to bring in others who wouldn't ordinarily get drafted. Making a Cat-B count in an expanded list wouldn't be good as clubs wouldn't do it anymore. So I'm assuming it's 2 or 3 years that we could leave Tweedie in this category not impacting the main and/or rookie list before he gets cut, expires any time limit or can walk?.?.

I guess with the uncertainty of the rookie list, I am saying who knows.

Assuming the current rules stay in place then:

Category B rookies[edit]

Each club is permitted to recruit up to three "Category B" rookies. Category B rookies are recruited directly rather than drafted, and represent players from non-traditional recruiting backgrounds. Players who may be recruited as Category B rookies include:[1]

International players, who are neither Australian citizens nor residents
Players from the New South Wales scholarship program
Players from the International scholarship program
Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT
Zone selections by Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast from Queensland
Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years

In the specific case of Irish international rookies, a club may have no more than one Irish Category B rookie at a time; but, the club is permitted to recruit other Irish players as Category A rookies, and may still recruit them directly without putting them up for draft.

List maintenance[edit]

Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible Category A rookies and three Category B rookies. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season,[2] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:

At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection.
These players are known as nominated rookies.
If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

There are usually plenty of opportunities to enact one of these rules, so rookie-listed players who are playing well enough for senior selection are seldom deprived of the opportunity by list management constraints.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2017, 03:50 PM
They'll have to tweak the category B then if they simply expand the main roster by four rookie list spots. Either way, it seems the Cat-B still have the same time limits of 2/3 years before a decision must be made. With the composition of our current rookie roster, that's not an issue either way. It's vote of confidence in the kid to use a rookie spot and take on the wage for maybe a handful of VFL games in 2017.

Twodogs
24-02-2017, 06:30 PM
They'll have to tweak the category B then if they simply expand the main roster by four rookie list spots. Either way, it seems the Cat-B still have the same time limits of 2/3 years before a decision must be made. With the composition of our current rookie roster, that's not an issue either way. It's vote of confidence in the kid to use a rookie spot and take on the wage for maybe a handful of VFL games in 2017.

I don't think we do technically. Cat-B rookies are extras to the list I think.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I don't think we do technically. Cat-B rookies are extras to the list I think.

English inelegant. Vote of confidence in Tweedie and his potential to use any mechanism to recruit him and also pay/take on his wages for just a handful of VFL games in 2017 at best.

Twodogs
25-02-2017, 12:14 AM
English inelegant. Vote of confidence in Tweedie and his potential to use any mechanism to recruit him and also pay/take on his wages for just a handful of VFL games in 2017 at best.

Inelegant Englih? That's unpossible.

bornadog
25-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Inelegant Englih? That's unpossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyCi1BFATA