PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on the big day and how was it?

Webby
19-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Having gone to the GF, I was extremely privileged to have watched the game live at the venue. Also extremely privileged to have watched the replay 30 odd times and relived it, dissected it, listened to multiple commentaries etc.

In the aftermath, however, I've discussed the game with so many people who've said that they watched the game at the such and such hotel, or the such and such bar or the such and such club. Explaining to me that they've never experienced such an atmosphere at a pub in their lives. The term "it was going OFF!" Being used quite a bit.

It has me realising that, if I had a Delorean, I wouldn't go back to see Cook's landing or the Napoleonic Wars, or anything as mundane as that. I'd simply keep hitting 1:30pm, Sat Oct 1st, 2016 and just drop into a different pub, club, bar or whatever and do it again and again and again.

However, as Deloreans no longer exist - whilst time travel (to my disappointment - as with the tooth fairy) never existed, I'd like to do the next best thing and put it out there to everyone who wasn't at the ground on the day. Can you tell us where you went, how was the atmosphere, did it go mental, any crazy incidents of note etc?

I'd love to hear all versions, angles, vantage points etc. Cheers in advance!

bulldogsthru&thru
19-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Having gone to the GF, I was extremely privileged to have watched the game live at the venue. Also extremely privileged to have watched the replay 30 odd times and relived it, dissected it, listened to multiple commentaries etc.

In the aftermath, however, I've discussed the game with so many people who've said that they watched the game at the such and such hotel, or the such and such bar or the such and such club. Explaining to me that they've never experienced such an atmosphere at a pub in their lives. The term "it was going OFF!" Being used quite a bit.

It has me realising that, if I had a Delorean, I wouldn't go back to see Cook's landing or the Napoleonic Wars, or anything as mundane as that. I'd simply keep hitting 1:30pm, Sat Oct 1st, 2016 and just drop into a different pub, club, bar or whatever and do it again and again and again.

However, as Deloreans no longer exist - whilst time travel (to my disappointment - as with the tooth fairy) never existed, I'd like to do the next best thing and put it out there to everyone who wasn't at the ground on the day. Can you tell us where you went, how was the atmosphere, did it go mental, any crazy incidents of note etc?

I was at the ground as well - but i will say this - the atmosphere and noise was apparently meant to be the loudest ever heard at the ground. I just didn't get to appreciate it at the time as i was too bloody nervous!

bulldogtragic
19-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Started with a beer with Choco, Lantern, Chef & WhyTheLongFace. Sitting at the game next to WhyTheLongFace not too far from the Sydney cheer squad, including giving huge hugs and high fives to everyone around us, especially the guy and his mum in front of me. Who were, as it turned out, Peter Gordon's son and wife.

Met up with family at the MCG after party. Walked into the city afterwards to see the Art Centre spire lit up RW&B. And cheers and high fives from random strangers. Great all round. Then WO on Sunday was crazy. I've been to a few Grand Finals, but the noise and atmosphere on our Premiership Day was ludicrously louder and better than anything I've ever heard at any games of anything, played anywhere. Truly a wonderful life experience and memory.

Twodogs
19-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Great topic. I grew up wishing I had a time machine so I could go back to our glory days in the VFA and 1954 just to see and feel what a premiership felt like but now I don't have to wish anymore.

Twodogs
19-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Great topic. I grew up wishing I had a time machine so I could go back to our glory days in the VFA and 1954 just to see and feel what a premiership felt like but now I don't have to wish anymore.

stefoid
19-12-2016, 04:40 PM
I was at the WO. I asked a couple of non-doggies mates who I usually go to a pub to see the GF with, if they wanted to skip the pub and come with to the WO? They said sure.

When we met up there, the carlton one said - 'oh, hey , I didnt remember until now, but I could have got you a ticket to the GF as I am a Carlton (social/something) club member....'

such is life

Twodogs
19-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Hope you've got a good sense of humour Stef. Still the Whitten oval would have kicked ass.

Eastdog
19-12-2016, 06:07 PM
I was at the MCG on the day of the 2016 Grand Final and the atmosphere whole day is something that won't be forgotten. Just simply an amazing experience.

The next day at the Whitten Oval was just as amazing being there with 30,000 other diehard Western Bulldogs supporters celebrating our premiership win. The vibe getting the train into West Footscray was excellent with lots of supporters heading in from Flinders Street with even the announcer at Flinders Street station saying for all those going to the Whitten Oval to get onto this platform which at Flinders street is platform 5. Great stuff!

ReLoad
19-12-2016, 11:06 PM
I was in Seattle, at a pub function put on by the local AFL team the Seattle Grizzlies (using it as thier big fundraiser) i didnt know a soul there, but talked with all and sundry, all Aussies of course.

Met a whole team of guys who worke for Amazon web services and they knowing i was a tragic and how big this was kept me very well lubricated all night. There was one other dogs fan (she was funny as hell) and a few swannies, the whole place was going for the dogs, i won the meat tray, but re-donated the prize, the dogs got up, i cried like a a baby, strangers hugged me, bought me more beers, woke up and had no idea where i was.

The next day I ran 10km in my dogs gear - scarf and hat (the Melb Marathon was the week after - speaking of which there were quite a few in full dogs kit running it! - legends!) and one bloke yelled out Go Doggies - much to the bemusment of a large number of tourists near the space needle.

I flew home on the wednesday, and the second I got on the Qantas plane back to Melbourne adorned in my dogs gear everyone was so happy for me, pats on the back, "well done", "Go dogs" etc
Thanks to someone on youtube i had downloaded a copy of the granny on my ipad and i watched it twice on the plane, the flight attendants making sure i had everythign i needed, and i cried like a baby yet again (yeah thats a trend right!)

Even the normally dour faced customs officer at MEL was happy for me. If im ever going to feel like a rock star at an airport, this was as close as i could get!

My mum had decorated my place, left every single newspaper there for me to read, the footy record and even some merch she got the day after, so walking in the front door felt awesome too!

The real kicker for me was the following sunday running the Melbourne marathon, I hit the wall at 23km and was hurting all over, id gone too fast to early, those 18km I've never been in pain like it before, but with 18km to go all I could think about was the dogs at the 'G, Teddy's speech, the noise, the crazyness, the cup, Bevo giving bob the medal etc.

Then when I ran through the tunnel from brunton avenue in extreme agony i ran faster than ive ever ran before, that lap of the MCG I was crying in pure pleasure imagining the dogs. That 2 minutes was nothing more than a blur. The elation and endorphines totally and utterly had me higher than Pickens mark in the last quarter. When i crossed the line i felt i could run another one. (which lasted for all of about 30 seconds) as I got my marathon medal and just for a moment it felt like I was there with the boys.

It was my first marathon, something which i never thought id be able to do (especially at 43 years old), but at 23,24,25 etc Kms i thought about quitting, giving up and saying "oh well i gave it my best" but there was no way our Red, White and Blue boys would do that for Bevo, the jumper, the club, so no way I was going to either.

To top it off, I gave my GF ticket to my uncle who has been a much longer suffering supporter than I am, and he literally ahd the best day of his life, so the Karma points were off the charts, whilst i know it didnt help us win, i bloody well reckon it didnt hurt!

So thats my Grand final story, and i cant wait to tell a different story but with the same ending again in 2017.

LostDoggy
19-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Sensational Reload!

merantau
19-12-2016, 11:22 PM
That was a wonderful read. Thanks so much for sharing. This Premiership win has been a life-changing experience for me too. My world is different now. I have so much to look forward to FOR YEARS TO COME!

Twodogs
20-12-2016, 02:58 AM
Great post reload. I love how you used the GF win to push you through. Running around the MCG must have been brllint.

Webby
20-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Looks like I'll have to set the Delorean for Seattle!!
Great read!

Danny the snakeman
20-12-2016, 07:33 PM
I was to nervous to watch at pub/mates house as not sure how i would have reacted had we lost. After such a long wait and years of disappointment i went and watch with brother and nephew. While not as exciting as would have been at pub/mates just wanted to be with family who have suffered thru the years if we won (and shed some tears). Now if we reach the GF next year watch out its party time.

Twodogs
20-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Looks like I'll have to set the Delorean for Seattle!!
Great read!

Can we stop in the late '80s and go and see some Mudhoney gigs?

Webby
16-02-2017, 10:01 AM
It’s not the GF Day, but there’s a great clip of the prelim final night as seen in several Footscray pubs here:

http://int.search.myway.com/search/video.jhtml?n=782b6cbf&p2=%5EBA5%5Exdm483%5ES17547%5Eau&pg=video&pn=1&ptb=5D20293B-D082-4575-AC94-B689FA425DB2&qs=&searchfor=footscray+pubs+prelim+final&si=CIGs-rPUsNACFVgmvQod-YMG3w&ss=sub&st=tab&tpr=sbt&trs=wtt

Thought it worth posting..

bornadog
16-02-2017, 10:51 AM
It’s not the GF Day, but there’s a great clip of the prelim final night as seen in several Footscray pubs here:

http://int.search.myway.com/search/video.jhtml?n=782b6cbf&p2=%5EBA5%5Exdm483%5ES17547%5Eau&pg=video&pn=1&ptb=5D20293B-D082-4575-AC94-B689FA425DB2&qs=&searchfor=footscray+pubs+prelim+final&si=CIGs-rPUsNACFVgmvQod-YMG3w&ss=sub&st=tab&tpr=sbt&trs=wtt

Thought it worth posting..

Thanks Webby, really enjoyed watching that and the reaction from the patrons.

Webby
16-02-2017, 11:09 AM
I attended the ‘G’ on Grand Final Day – as I’m sure did 99% of WOOF members. However thought I’d provide an overview of my experiences post-game.

Hugs all round at the final siren. We didn’t want to wait around for the AFL-run post-game celebrations. We felt a magnetic pull for Footscray – so we headed through an ecstatic sea of people, riding a euphoric wave to Richmond Station.

En route, I couldn’t help but quickly stop by Punt Rd Oval and the Richmond FC Administrative office front door to knock on it and scream “Did you see that Tigers?!” The effects of a few therapeutic-cum-celebratory beers during and after the game!

Onto a train for the one stop to Flinders Street, then onto the first of the Footscray bound trains (Werribee Williamstown) from there. The thing was packed with euphoric Dogs fans and about nine renditions of “Sons of the West” ensued.

Funnily enough, our train stopped on approach to North Melbourne Station. I couldn’t help but yell out at the top of my voice “Hey, Shaun Higgins has thrown himself on the tracks!” I got a huge laugh from all in the carriage. I felt like Robin Williams for a fleeting moment – but, hey, easy crowd!

Funnily enough, I was in the front carriage and the driver had heard what I’d said. He got into the fun by saying “Ladies and gentlemen, apologies for the delay… There’s a body on the track!” That got another round of laughter – with interest. (Not sur how often those particular words coming from a train driver would ever get a laugh like that - before or after!)

With the laughter drug having heightened the mood, we cleared North Melbourne & South Kensington stations. Emboldened, I yelled out “Next stop – Heaven!” – that got a mixture of cheers, laughs, as well as a few chuckles and murmurs of “Yeah right!” So I followed up with “You can get whatever you want in Heaven!” More laughs and we were on a role!

Approaching Footscray Station, I decided to start a countdown. TEN, NINE, EIGHT…. Once we pulled up at the Footscray platform, there was a huge cheer and 200-300 or so fans spilled out of the train. All ecstatic!

My mate and I headed straight for the Dancing Dog. The streets were full of R,W & B clad supporters. A result of the function at WO, I guessed. We got to the Dancing Dog and it was full of people in Dogs jumpers & scarves. The mood was unbelievable. A lot of childish games. One I recall was a couple of groups continually lowering and erecting the café umbrellas in the beer garden – complete with the Mexican wave type sound effects. All good fun, but the one or two hipsters at the venue looked a bit incredulous!

We left the Dog and headed up towards Barkly Street. High fives with random strangers, knocking on the barber shop window to give and get the thumbs up and big smiles all round. The atmosphere was incredible. The police had closed off Barkly Street between French Street and Geelong Road. People were literally dancing on Barkly Street. Someone had even brought a drum with them. We learned that the landlord of the Littlefoot Bar had actually ceased to serve alcohol upon discussion with the police. We soaked up the atmosphere for a few moments and moved onto our home pub – Harts Hotel (aka “The Vic” – depending on your chosen vernacular.)

Cars were doing laps of Footscray with people hanging out of them, sitting on their horns, yelling out, waving and fist pumping. There was plenty of love going around.

Harts was heaving. I bumped into old friends, our wives joined us, we got talking to strangers. One bloke and his group of mates were congratulating me on my “Eastcoast” jumper, whilst producing their mate who was wearing his long sleeve “Pyrox” sponsored jumper. This kind of thing doesn’t happen often! As soon as you’d stood still to reflect for three or so minutes, you’d get a slap on the back from out of the blue, turn around and there was another mate who’d just arrived to give the screaming bear hug!

The actor William McGuinness was in the pub, as were the Channel 7 and 10 cameras at a couple of points. My claim to fame is that the back & side of my head is in one of the shots! The big time! The plan was to party all night, but then the wall was hit! I ended up going back to a mate’s place in Errol Street to watch the replay. I woke up on his couch in the wee hours and got a taxi home. The taxi driver – an African guy – told me he’d been a Dogs fan for 20 years and was the most pleased he’d ever been. I went to bed and couldn’t wait to see the kids in the morning! Best day ever!

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Great post Webby I reckon i was about a step behind you mate. I have a lot of the same recollections

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 04:58 PM
One of the best posts I have read on woof Webby. Reading that I felt like I was there in the celebrations. So glad I went the next day to WO lapping all up with 30,000 of my fellow Bulldog supporters.

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 05:58 PM
One of the best posts I have read on woof Webby. Reading that I felt like I was there in the celebrations. So glad I went the next day to WO lapping all up with 30,000 of my fellow Bulldog supporters.

That celebration the next day at Whitten Oval was completely insane. All those supporters and that sea of red, white and blue is the greatest thing I have ever seen. The grand final was the most intense experience of my life followed by pure unalloyed relief and joy, the siren was the greatest moment of my life. But the next day, Sunday. So joyous seeing all those supporters, all that colour, all the generations coming together in one huge mass hug-that's the best thing I have ever seen. When they held the cup up and the crowd roared. That was the moment I'd been waiting for and it was exactly like I'd always hoped it would be like when I blew the candles out on my birthday cake when I was a kid and wished my annual wish for a bulldog premiership.

The wait was well worth it. The next one better be quicker arriving though. I got a taste for them now.

bornadog
16-02-2017, 06:07 PM
That celebration the next day at Whitten Oval was completely insane. All those supporters and that sea of red, white and blue is the greatest thing I have ever seen. The grand final was the most intense experience of my life followed by pure unalloyed relief and joy, the siren was the greatest moment of my life. But the next day, Sunday. So joyous seeing all those supporters, all that colour, all the generations coming together in one huge mass hug-that's the best thing I have ever seen. When they held the cup up and the crowd roared. That was the moment I'd been waiting for.

The wait was well worth it. The next one better be quicker arriving. I got a taste for them now.

http://indaily.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/20161002001285014900-original-850x455.jpg

bornadog
16-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Just a couple of people there:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7896264-3x2-700x467.jpg

LostDoggy
16-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Just a couple of people there:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7896264-3x2-700x467.jpg

Was there with the good wife and our 2 girls in front of the big screen on the right.
Insane how many people were there.

bornadog
16-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Was there with the good wife and our 2 girls in front of the big screen on the right.

I was around the middle back from the screens with my wife. Ran into my cousins as well as several ex-woofers (they were banned a few years ago (where is the amnesty :)) )

Big crowd, and still run into people.

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 06:52 PM

I was almost exactly on the centre circle with my son, good mate and his partner.

I was around the middle back from the screens with my wife. Ran into my cousins as well as several ex-woofers (they were banned a few years ago (where is the amnesty :)) )

Big crowd, and still run into people.

Thanks for those photos BAD. Like I said, the best thing I've ever seen. Better than seeing aurora borealis or a whale that's not at Sea Worls.

Probably.

dadsgirl16
16-02-2017, 08:23 PM
My sister and I are right at the back in between those 2 marquees...I am sure I can spot us !!

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 09:16 PM
My sister and I are right at the back in between those 2 marquees...I am sure I can spot us !!

Are you wearing red, white and blue? It's going to be impossible to pick you out otherwise.

LostDoggy
16-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Being at the family day it was like time stood still.
For the first hour i don't think i said a word.To see a sea of red,white and blue and the massive gathering of supporters where we have all suffered the pain of finals past,to be able to rejoice in a manner in which i thought i would never be able to experience is something that will stay with me forever.
It might sound lame or soft but i kept thinking of all the close family bulldogs friends and relatives that had i had lost and the eyes started to well up as i wished that they could have been with us to experience the Premiership Glory.

merantau
16-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Only Bulldog supporters have experienced joy as deep as the Mariana's Trench. I was at the game. The experience is welded to my memory. I re-live it frequently and it sustains me when I need a boost. In quiet times I close my eyes and the show begins: freestyle, I allow random images to occupy my mind's eye - Easton Wood's crucial intercept to bring the ball to ground allowing Lachie Hunter to sweep it up and hit Dicko on the chest. Dicko nonchalently caresses the ball and then unerringly boots the goal from just on 50. Next it might be Zaine's crunching tackle on Hannebury or Liam Picken and Lachie Hunter combining to conjure goal out of thin air.
But my favourite image is Dale Morris willing himself to the contest and providing the opportunity for Tom Boyd to kick a goal that will never be forgotten.
How good is it to barrack for the Dogs? It's seriously f#$%×*g good, that's what it is. For me it was 55 years between Grand Finals and 60 years since I saw my first game at the Western Oval. You only serve about 15 for murder these days.
I'm not religious but when happy clappy types talk about being "born again" I know that they have experienced something that is about 1% as emotionally intense as what I experienced when the siren blew and our cup runneth over. Go Dogs!

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Being at the family day it was like time stood still.
For the first hour i don't think i said a word.To see a sea of red,white and blue and the massive gathering of supporters where we have all suffered the pain of finals past,to be able to rejoice in a manner in which i thought i would never be able to experience is something that will stay with me forever.
It might sound lame or soft but i kept thinking of all the close family bulldogs friends and relatives that had i had lost and the eyes started to well up as i wished that they could have been with us to experience the Premiership Glory.

It's not soft mate. It's natural that you think of the ancestors at a time when you see something as amazing as that and want them there with you and experience it too. After all it was probably them who stood over your cot and told you who you'd be barracking for so without all the oldies and auntys you wouldn't be here.

Only Bulldog supporters have experienced joy as deep as the Mariana's Trench. I was at the game. The experience is welded to my memory. I re-live it frequently and it sustains me when I need a boost. In quiet times I close my eyes and the show begins: freestyle, I allow random images to occupy my mind's eye - Easton Wood's crucial intercept to bring the ball to ground allowing Lachie Hunter to sweep it up and hit Dicko on the chest. Dicko nonchalently caresses the ball and then unerringly boots the goal from just on 50. Next it might be Zaine's crunching tackle on Hannebury or Liam Picken and Lachie Hunter combining to conjure goal out of thin air.
But my favourite image is Dale Morris willing himself to the contest and providing the opportunity for Tom Boyd to kick a goal that will never be forgotten.
How good is it to barrack for the Dogs? It's seriously f#$%×*g good, that's what it is. For me it was 55 years between Grand Finals and 60 years since I saw my first game at the Western Oval. You only serve about 15 for murder these days.
I'm not religious but when happy clappy types talk about being "born again" I know that they have experienced something that is about 1% as emotionally intense as what I experienced when the siren blew and our cup runneth over. Go Dogs!

It's privilige to be a Bulldog supporter. It always has been, deep down it didn't matter if we won a flag or not, I was always stay a bulldog supporter. But geez wining a flag has confirmed it. What a great time to be a bulldog supporter. Now that we've won an AFeL premiership and have some serious bling to show off we are going to be huge.

My favorite moments are Tom Boyds goal and "it's over, it's all over. The dam wall has burst.

Webby
16-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Thanks Webby, really enjoyed watching that and the reaction from the patrons.

If you look carefully you can see Barry Round sitting at Harts in his Sydney colours from the 5:30 to 5:50 mark. It would be disingenuous to say that I'm sorry we ended up spoiling his week..!

Good to see him out and about in Footscray, though.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 10:06 AM

If you look carefully you can see Barry Round sitting at Harts in his Sydney colours from the 5:30 to 5:50 mark. It would be disingenuous to say that I'm sorry we ended up spoiling his week..!

Good to see him out and about in Footscray, though.

Thanks, good pickup

A real shame, Barry had to end up at the Swans all those years ago. Unfortunately we had the great Garry Dempsey, and he was never going to take over from him as the number one ruck.

I remember one day after he had left us, we won a game at Western Oval and as kids we use to get into the rooms after the game. This time here was Barry visiting the boys and congratulating them. You rarely see a former player, still playing for another team, do that. I think his heart was still at Footscray.

1eyedog
17-02-2017, 10:11 AM
I was almost exactly on the centre circle with my son, good mate and his partner.

Thanks for those photos BAD. Like I said, the best thing I've ever seen. Better than seeing aurora borealis or a whale that's not at Sea Worls.

Probably.

That's a big get though... It doesn't beat my first experience of seeing Saturn and its rings though the eyepiece of a telescope. But that in turn doesn't beat what I witnessed at that pub down the road from Spotless after our Prelim win :D

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 11:08 AM
That's a big get though... It doesn't beat my first experience of seeing Saturn and its rings though the eyepiece of a telescope. But that in turn doesn't beat what I witnessed at that pub down the road from Spotless after our Prelim win :D

That Nick Cave song on the new album-Rings of Saturn-is a beauty.

Or maybe I'm just too tongue-tied to drink it up and swallow back the pain

Webby
17-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks, good pickup

A real shame, Barry had to end up at the Swans all those years ago. Unfortunately we had the great Garry Dempsey, and he was never going to take over from him as the number one ruck.

I remember one day after he had left us, we won a game at Western Oval and as kids we use to get into the rooms after the game. This time here was Barry visiting the boys and congratulating them. You rarely see a former player, still playing for another team, do that. I think his heart was still at Footscray.

Barry was my uncle's apprentice. Liked by everyone. Consider this about him:

1. He played more VFL games than the great EJ.
2. After retiring from the VFL, he then went on to play 110 VFA games
3. He did it all the while whilst being a full time plumber!

Incredible durability! I wouldn't bet against him living to 110!

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Barry was my uncle's apprentice. Liked by everyone. Consider this about him:

1. He played more VFL games than the great EJ.
2. After retiring from the VFL, he then went on to play 110 VFA games
3. He did it all the while whilst being a full time plumber!

Incredible durability! I wouldn't bet against him living to 110!

That's unbelievable! More than 100 senior games at three clubs-us, South and Willy.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 04:21 PM
That's unbelievable! More than 100 senior games at three clubs-us, South and Willy.

Years
Club
Games (Goals)

1968–75
Footscray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Bulldogs)
135 (136)

1976–1985
Sydney (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Swans)
193 (157)

1986–91
Williamstown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamstown_Seagulls)
110 (103)

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Not just barely 100 games at each club either. It's not like he just hung around eking his way out to a 100 games at any of the clubs. He was just getting warmed up with his 135 games with us because he then follows up with 193 AFL games with Sydney before an extended Lap of Honour with Willy of 110 senior games.

Webby
17-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Not just barely 100 games at each club either. It's not like he just hung around eking his way out to a 100 games at any of the clubs. He was just getting warmed up with his 135 games with us because he then follows up with 193 AFL games with Sydney before an extended Lap of Honour with Willy of 110 senior games.

I believe Bernie Quinlan played well in excess of 150 (closer to 200, I think) with both the Dogs and Fitzroy. Obviously we've discussed Round, but Gary Dempsey also played 300+ league games and more than 100 with both is and Norf.

Geez we blew a potential dynasty in the 1970's. We had all that quality, durable cattle on our list and couldn't hold onto them...

(Anyway, I've fallen into the trap of turning the ultimate feel good thread into a negative! I'll stop, now!

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 08:48 PM
I believe Bernie Quinlan played well in excess of 150 (closer to 200, I think) with both the Dogs and Fitzroy. Obviously we've discussed Round, but Gary Dempsey also played 300+ league games and more than 100 with both is and Norf.

Geez we blew a potential dynasty in the 1970's. We had all that quality, durable cattle on our list and couldn't hold onto them...

(Anyway, I've fallen into the trap of turning the ultimate feel good thread into a negative! I'll stop, now!

Yeah. Shut up Webby. You're bringing us down man. Being a stress head!

But you're dead right. We were given untold playing riches and pissed them all up against the wall with infighting and outright stupidity. I got used to ex Footscray players winning the Brownlow or our blokes winning medals with us and then leaving but when two ex Footscray players tied for the bloody thing one year I just about gave up.

That used to be the additional "up yours" us Footscray supporters used to get every year in grand final week in the early eighties. Not only was our, frankly, comedic football team not ever going to play in a grand final but they'd give the Brownlow to one of our ex players just to rub it in. Then when they thought we'd had enough they gave it to two of ours in one year.

Ozza
20-02-2017, 02:56 PM

Bernie played 177 for us, 189 for the Roys.

craigsahibee
20-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Yeah. Shut up Webby. You're bringing us down man. Being a stress head!

But you're dead right. We were given untold playing riches and pissed them all up against the wall with infighting and outright stupidity. I got used to ex Footscray players winning the Brownlow or our blokes winning medals with us and then leaving but when two ex Footscray players tied for the bloody thing one year I just about gave up.

That used to be the additional "up yours" us Footscray supporters used to get every year in grand final week in the early eighties. Not only was our, frankly, comedic football team not ever going to play in a grand final but they'd give the Brownlow to one of our ex players just to rub it in. Then when they thought we'd had enough they gave it to two of ours in one year.

And then by the end of the eighties they said "hand back the keys and you're not getting your bond back".

Is there any wonder there was 275,000 people out at the Whitten Oval celebrating on Sunday 2nd October?

It took a while, but we "Stuck it right up 'em. That's what we did. We stuck it right up 'em"

Twodogs
20-02-2017, 05:26 PM
And then by the end of the eighties they said "hand back the keys and you're not getting your bond back".

Is there any wonder there was 275,000 people out at the Whitten Oval celebrating on Sunday 2nd October?

It took a while, but we "Stuck it right up 'em. That's what we did. We stuck it right up 'em"

I'll bet Ross Oakley wasn't at the Whiten Oval on the day. Turd.

I wonder what old Ross the boss thought as he watched the presentation?

One thing I'll give him though. Back in the day when we had selectors' table on Thursday nights one night Peter Gordon turned up and announce he had a special guest and in walks Ross Oakley. He stood up in front of everybody and answered questions and took abuse for about an hour or so. I almost admired the old bastard, I've got some front, but I wouldn't have stood in front of 250 rabid Footscray supporters (with access to cutlery) as the bloke who signed the club's death certificate and explain things from my POV. And more importantly he listened to and respected to our POV. It was cathartic for all of us.

Although it would have been more cathartic if PG had let us tar and feather him afterwards like I'd wanted to.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-02-2017, 07:12 PM
I'd rather tar and feather Ian Collins