PDA

View Full Version : Supporters premiership hangover..

LostDoggy
03-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Am I the only one who just doesn't really give a stuff about the 2017 season yet?

Previous seasons pre and post Christmas I would be browsing various websites and information sources trying to get any bit of information about how our players are tracking for the up and coming season.

I'm just not doing it this year. I don't miss footy yet and I'm certainty not counting down the days to the new season like I previously would.

I'm more than content watching the replays of our finals series over and over. I'm sure this will change once Round 1 gets closer, but I find it interesting the effects a premiership can have even as a supporter. Can see how players could easily get caught up with it and have a slow start to the next season.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Am I the only one who just doesn't really give a stuff about the 2017 season yet?

Previous seasons pre and post Christmas I would be browsing various websites and information sources trying to get any bit of information about how our players are tracking for the up and coming season.

I'm just not doing it this year. I don't miss footy yet and I'm certainty not counting down the days to the new season like I previously would.

I'm more than content watching the replays of our finals series over and over. I'm sure this will change once Round 1 gets closer, but I find it interesting the effects a premiership can have even as a supporter. Can see how players could easily get caught up with it and have a slow start to the next season.

Yep. Same here. We've reached the elusive pinnacle. It's not that i don't care anymore. Once the season kicks off i'll be 100% back into it. It's just that my interest during the offseason has always stemmed from wanting to know how much have we improved? how are we getting better? We won the flag in 2016. We are the best :)

I hope the players aren't thinking like that :)

Mofra
03-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Certain highlights from the prelim & GF have been subject to repeated viewing so I haven't; spent much time worrying about 2017.

It will take the pre-season comp before I get on board.

Eastdog
03-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Yes I know what you mean Jaytee. Once the footy for 2017 gets underway I'll be right into it seeing if we can replicate our 2016 success.

I have that image after the grand final where I'm up in the stands watching as the players do a lap with the premiership cup.

Will never forget it.

merantau
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
I'm hanging out for 2017 to begin. Why? Because we've been in this position only once before and we all know what happened - didn't make the finals. There will be a lot of people expecting us to fall over. The bookies already have GWS as flag favourites. That's fine by me. Barring a more severe run of injuries than we had in '16 I am expecting us to go b-t-b - nothing less. Can't wait to meet GWS in the finals. Heath Shaw's finger pointing/arm waving routine alone is worth the price of a ticket.

Twodogs
03-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Yep. Same here. We've reached the elusive pinnacle. It's not that i don't care anymore. Once the season kicks off i'll be 100% back into it. It's just that my interest during the offseason has always stemmed from wanting to know how much have we improved? how are we getting better? We won the flag in 2016. We are the best :)

I'm really interested in seeing how much our first loss hurts me.

I'm really looking forward to this season. I remember when Cloke was playing his first few games and saying he was the type of player that I'd give anything to see him play for us. We haven't exactly got him at his peak but he's not quite a washed up hack either and I'm really keen to see him play good footy for us. If opposition defenders have to double team Cloke in marking contests that means Dickson or Stringer or McLean don't have an opponent if the ball hits the deck.

Im looking forward to seeing Murph lead the boys out again hopefully in time for the unveiling of the flag.

And mostly I'm looking forward to the football media and public turning against us. Because we keep pummelling teams and Tom Boyd kicks 100 goals and ties for the Brownlow with Marcus Bontempelli and the unstoppable machine that is the western bulldogs rolls onto another flag.

I've had a taste of success and I want more and I want it this year. Bark to Bark '17 Bring. It. On.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-01-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how much our first loss hurts me.

I'm really looking forward to this season. I remember when Cloke was playing his first few games and saying he was the type of player that I'd give anything to see him play for us. We haven't exactly got him at his peak but he's not quite a washed up hack either and I'm really keen to see him play good footy for us. If opposition defenders have to double team Cloke in marking contests that means Dickson or Stringer or McLean don't have an opponent if the ball hits the deck.

Im looking forward to seeing Murph lead the boys out again hopefully in time for the unveiling of the flag.

And mostly I'm looking forward to the football media and public turning against us. Because we keep pummelling teams and Tom Boyd kicks 100 goals and ties for the Brownlow with Marcus Bontempelli and the unstoppable machine that is the western bulldogs rolls onto another flag.

I've had a taste of success and I want more and I want it this year. Bark to Bark '17 Bring. It. On.

If the players are switched on, and barring another crap run with injuries, there should be no reason we can't go back to back. We will be so much stronger with Murph, Crameri, Cloke and Adams coming back into the side, plus another year of development into the kids - those same kids that won a flag. Not to mention the confidence they will have after proving to themselves what they are capable of - no more questioning what can be done - they will be even more ruthless! Bring it on!

Throughandthrough
03-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Coincidentally I posted this on my Facebook today

"So hopefully this year, after waiting all my life, the Western Bulldogs will win back to back premierships"

LostDoggy
03-01-2017, 03:06 PM
I think I have read every possible article available with the word foot and dog in it, some of those Japanese sites are weird...

I am super keen for 2017 but in a relaxed way.. oxymoronic I know but this is a great bulldog team for results and a joy to watch, I like Bevos face too. The difference for 2017 is I can finally bloody enjoy it without the weight of compounded pain and disappointment since prelim 97.

Twodogs
03-01-2017, 03:14 PM
That's the greatest quote I have seen. You win the Internet.

Greystache
03-01-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm sure I'll be up and about by the nab cup. Till then I'll just continue to bask in premiership glory.

LostDoggy
03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
I am glad it only took one post for this to be mentioned. They were my thoughts as soon as I read the thread title.

hujsh
03-01-2017, 08:21 PM
The job isn't over.

It's not even half over.

Last I checked we still need at least 15 more of those big cup things and another 40,000 members

MrMahatma
04-01-2017, 12:21 AM
There's a desire in me to see this year proven as the beginning of a journey, not a fluke.

I bloody want to beat Geelong for once, too.

Another flag and we're debt free and the Western corridor is ours for at lest the next generation.

Plenty at stake. Bring it on!

1eyedog
04-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Shop early avoid the rush. More cups now.

Remi Moses
04-01-2017, 09:55 AM
I think I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what the supporters think, it's the players attitude that's important .
I think around Pre-season comp time I'll get interested

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 09:57 AM
I find myself as keen as ever, desperate to see how the new recruits, draftees and returning players are fitting in. This is a massive year in our history. So many in the wider AFL community expect a club like ours to not handle our extraordinary 2016 finals efforts and to hover mid table or slide pretty quickly. We know different and I can't wait for us to prove it.

After the glories of last year, the big test this year is to handle the pressure of being the hunted, deliver consistently and win in a dominant manner. If we do so to our potential, this year will be even more satisfying than last, in the way that a dominating, convincing victory against strong opposition is thrilling in a different way to an against the odds, come from behind victory.

There is plenty to be done and much to prove.

Can. Not. Wait.

comrade
04-01-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm excited for the new season but the edge has been taken off, for sure.

2016 was the culmination of 25+ years of fandom, and particularly the last 10 years, my obsession with the Dogs has pretty much been the driving force in my life. I plan my week around footy, my mood is determined by the weekend's results. I was desperate to see us win a flag and saw every match as a small stepping stone in the journey towards the ultimate goal.

Now it has happened, I can just enjoy watching the team. I'm sure I'll get down when (if?) we lose but I doubt it'll have the same sort of impact as previously.

We're so blessed to be following the Dogs right now, in this moment in time. I was speaking to a fellow fan last night and we marvelled at how it's all turned out. Like me, he wouldn't follow footy if the Dogs didn't exist. This is a team that is just different. It's always been like that and with the flag, we've been given the greatest gift possible.

I'm completely content to just enjoy the journey now.

That being said, 2017 has plenty to capture our interest; how will we perform as the hunted, how will Bob rise again, Cloke, Crameri's revenge, does Footscray continue to be a development juggernaut, how does our women's team perform.

Mofra
04-01-2017, 10:39 AM
I think I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what the supporters think, it's the players attitude that's important.
Guys like Morris and Matty Boyd are animals, no issue there.
I imagine Bob Murphy, Stew Crameri, Matty Suckling, Marcus Adams, Tom Campbell, Travis Cloke et el certainly won't be satisfied with just watching teammates win a flag.

Picken mentioned in an interview the club has already moved on, Hawks didn't stay satisfied after winning one. I think the motivation will be there - and there seems to be a genuine hatred for the team to beat this year.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 10:49 AM
I find myself as keen as ever, desperate to see how the new recruits, draftees and returning players are fitting in. This is a massive year in our history. So many in the wider AFL community expect a club like ours to not handle our extraordinary 2016 finals efforts and to hover mid table or slide pretty quickly. We know different and I can't wait for us to prove it.

After the glories of last year, the big test this year is to handle the pressure of being the hunted, deliver consistently and win in a dominant manner. If we do so to our potential, this year will be even more satisfying than last, in the way that a dominating, convincing victory against strong opposition is thrilling in a different way to an against the odds, come from behind victory.

There is plenty to be done and much to prove.

Can. Not. Wait.

I hear you. Watching the Eagles final is very satisfying, we put the foot on the throat of a very in form team at their fortress from early in the game and did not let up, we just squeezed tighter. A few of those early on in the season will send a message to the rest of the competition. Second favourite team my ass.