PDA

View Full Version : Best player ever traded

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Shaun Burgoyne's almost the best traded in player to ever play the game in my view.

Interesting point that Jeemak makes in another thread, I edited a bit, and it leads to an interesting question and an answer that should probably have a couple of parts. Intentional trades-where you are trading an established star and lucky trades-the occassional time a steak knives type player becomes a 200 game champ.

I reckon the best player I have seen traded between clubs is Ian Stewart. Whatever possessed St Kilda to hand over their star dual Brownlow winning centre man at the peak of his powers to a premiership rival (saints were a successful club at the time) just can't be guessed at. But Stewart won another Brownlow and two more premiership medallions.

And Peter Foster for the steak knives division. He came to the club as an afterthought to a deal involving Chris Hansen he hung around on the list playing at CHF in the ressies until Malthouse showed some faith in him and played him in defense in the seniors but Peter Foster is in the top five tall defenders I have seen play the game. I never saw Dermie play a decent game at the footy because Fossie owned Dermie and pretty much every tall forward that played the game back then, Kernahan and Stoneham and all those blokes scarcely played a decent game between them when Foster was at CHB. He ended up playing quality footy at CHF after establishing himself in the team too. We really got a bargain with Peter Foster.

Dry Rot
13-01-2017, 12:54 PM
I assume the name Liam Jones won't appear in this thread.

Topdog
13-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Tough to say who was the steak knives in the Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn for draft picks 39, 46 and 70 but either of them is a fair set.

I can't remember how much West Coast pushed for Josh Kennedy in the Judd trade too.

LostDoggy
13-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Gary Ablett Snr was let go after playing a handful of games and picked up with minimal fanfare. He'd be hard to beat.

Mofra
13-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Gary Ablett Snr was let go after playing a handful of games and picked up with minimal fanfare. He'd be hard to beat.
Yep, it will take Tom Boyd a couple more years to overtake him...

Greystache
13-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Tony Lockett would have to be right up there.

In the steak knives case Luke McPharlin would be close to number 1.

bornadog
13-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Tony Libba (team of the century) was let go by Denis Pagan despite winning the B&F for under 19, and reserves.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 02:50 PM

GAS is going to be hard to top in the steak knives and GAJ would be pretty close in the Best Player Traded. Definitely the best F/S.

boydogs
13-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Judd would be up there

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Tom Boyd for bringing home the premiership. Fair to say if we hadn't traded him in we didn't win the flag last year.

Greystache
13-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Tony Libba (team of the century) was let go by Denis Pagan despite winning the B&F for under 19, and reserves.

GAS is going to be hard to top in the steak knives and GAJ would be pretty close in the Best Player Traded. Definitely the best F/S.

None of those players were traded.

GAS and Libba were released by their original club and some time later were recruited by a different club.

GAJ was a concession selection for a start up club. Effectively a free agent.

jeemak
13-01-2017, 04:28 PM
My comment about Burgoyne was on the basis of being one of the best players traded in, as part of an overall plan. Better players have moved clubs for various reasons.

Burgoyne can play all over the ground at an exceptional level, and was targeted by the Hawks for his ability to do so and his age profile (the Hawks had a gap in his bracket at the time). It was an outstanding list management decision to bring him in.

Topdog
13-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Judd would be up there

But you could argue that West Coast won that trade

Webby
13-01-2017, 05:20 PM
But you could argue that West Coast won that trade

I've got a mate that has been passionately arguing with another mate for about five years that WCE got the better of the Judd trade.
Kennedy is the best performed forward in the league for four years now, whilst Masten is very handy.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 05:46 PM
I've got a mate that has been passionately arguing with another mate for about five years that WCE got the better of the Judd trade.
Kennedy is the best performed forward in the league for four years now, whilst Masten is very handy.

Judd is long gone but won a Brownlow, played in a couple of finals series and by all accounts ( mostly Juddy's) introduced a more professional culture at Carlton right down to only having cheesy lasagne as a treat, presumably for winning Brownlows and being the captain of the team if they make the finals. Plus he had a bit of an upward spike on memberships when they first recruited him.

West Coast have had better team success a.nd Kennnedy has made a big contribution to that success. He wouldn't have had that same success at Carlton.

bulldogtragic
13-01-2017, 05:52 PM
None of those players were traded.

GAS and Libba were released by their original club and some time later were recruited by a different club.

GAJ was a concession selection for a start up club. Effectively a free agent.

Yep, and in that not a trade list, Wanganeen, Primus, Buddy, Cal Ward, and Freo giving up compo picks for Andrew McLeod & Matthew Lloyd were decent too.

For trades: Carey, Judd & Kennedy, Kennedy (& lesser McGlynn) to Sydney, hopefully Tom Boyd, Burgoyne, Brian Lake (3 time premiership player and Norm Smith on the best KPFs in 3 years), Buckley, Jolly, Colbert (c), Paul Roos, Al Lynch, Roger Merrett (?), were Barassi's moves trades?

westdog54
13-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Yep, and in that not a trade list, Wanganeen, Primus, Buddy, Cal Ward, and Freo giving up compo picks for Andrew McLeod & Matthew Lloyd were decent too.

For trades: Carey, Judd & Kennedy, Kennedy (& lesser McGlynn) to Sydney, hopefully Tom Boyd, Burgoyne, Brian Lake (3 time premiership player and Norm Smith on the best KPFs in 3 years), Buckley, Jolly, Colbert (c), Paul Roos, Al Lynch, Roger Merrett (?), were Barassi's moves trades?

Wasn't McLeod traded for Chris Groom?

Brad Ottens anyone?

bulldogtragic
13-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Wasn't McLeod traded for Chris Groom?

Brad Ottens anyone?

Not sure he's the best, but certainly the critical piece of the Geelong dynasty starting. On Geelong, was Tom Harley traded from Port or delisted?

westdog54
13-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Not sure he's the best, but certainly the critical piece of the Geelong dynasty starting. On Geelong, was Tom Harley traded from Port or delisted?

Might be another steak knives special.

Sedat
13-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Tough to say who was the steak knives in the Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn for draft picks 39, 46 and 70 but either of them is a fair set.
Hawks didn't do too badly either - they got Stratton and Suckling with these picks.

Burgoyne and Ottens were the most effective trades - both had a massive hand in securing multiple premierships for their new clubs that otherwise might now have happened, they were that important structurally. Lake as well but less than 50 games is a mark against him - his achievements in those 3 years are quite remarkable.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Hawks didn't do too badly either - they got Stratton and Suckling with these picks.

Was Suckling ever on Hawthorn's rookie list?

Sedat
13-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Was Suckling ever on Hawthorn's rookie list?

I think he was pick 70 in that trade (Stratton was pick 46), and from memory I think the pick 39 was used in part of the Josh Gibson trade with Norf.

bulldogtragic
13-01-2017, 08:04 PM
I think he was pick 70 in that trade (Stratton was pick 46), and from memory I think the pick 39 was used in part of the Josh Gibson trade with Norf.

Isaac Smith was a good kicking Hawks rookie at about that draft.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 08:54 PM

I read an article the other day that mentioned in passing that Suckling was first Rookie Listed by hawthorn. I didn't think it was right.

Greystache
13-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Suckling was a rookie. Smith was a first round draft pick.

bulldogtragic
13-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Shows my knowledge of Hawthorn players...

ledge
13-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Bernie Quinlan , Barry Round . ..Brian Wilson They were bulldog ones that we traded and did better at other clubs.
To us .. Libba , foster, wouldn't put Boyd in only had one year at GWS and that was as a kid.

Sedat
13-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Maybe Suckling was upgraded to the main list using that pick 70? I recall reading that Stratton and Suckling were part of the Kennedy/McGlynn trades.

hujsh
13-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Judd is long gone but won a Brownlow, played in a couple of finals series and by all accounts ( mostly Juddy's) introduced a more professional culture at Carlton right down to only having cheesy lasagne as a treat, presumably for winning Brownlows and being the captain of the team if they make the finals. Plus he had a bit of an upward spike on memberships when they first recruited him.

West Coast have had better team success a.nd Kennnedy has made a big contribution to that success. He wouldn't have had that same success at Carlton.
Would you trade Kennedy for Judd or vice versa (all things being equal on the team balance side of things)?

I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up Kennedy knowing what he'd become

AndrewP6
14-01-2017, 12:36 AM
This thread needs more "Andrew McDougall".

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Would you trade Kennedy for Judd or vice versa (all things being equal on the team balance side of things)?

I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up Kennedy knowing what he'd become

No is the short version.

Shit no is Ihe long version.

1eyedog
14-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Ablett jnr

KT31
14-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Bernie Quinlan , Barry Round . ..Brian Wilson They were bulldog ones that we traded and did better at other clubs.
To us .. Libba , foster, wouldn't put Boyd in only had one year at GWS and that was as a kid.

Add Dempsey to the list, if classed as a trade he was named in two 'Teams of the Centuries'.

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Add Dempsey to the list, if classed as a trade he was named in two 'Teams of the Centuries'.

Dempsey was traded for John Moylan, Mark Williams and Crazy Horse Cowton.

ledge
14-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Actually I didn't add him as I thought he played his best with us. Obviously did better than I thought at Nth though.

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Actually I didn't add him as I thought he played his best with us. Obviously did better than I thought at Nth though.

I remember Dempsey being a superstar at North So good they took Ray Huppatz off us as well to rove to him.

merantau
19-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Apparently at North one day Barassi was addressing the team and Crazy Horse wasn't paying attention.

Barass yells at him: "Cowton! Are you ignorant or just bloody apathetic?"

Cowton answers: "I don't know and, what's more, I don't care."

Twodogs
19-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Apparently at North one day Barassi was addressing the team and Crazy Horse wasn't paying attention.

Barass yells at him: "Cowton! Are you ignorant or just bloody apathetic?"

Cowton answers: "I don't know and, what's more, I don't care."

That's in that book about the 1977 season called The Coach about Barrassi.