PDA

View Full Version : Early impressions: How your club's first-years are faring

Bulldog4life
26-01-2017, 06:39 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-22/draftee-and-rookie-watch

The first ruckman taken in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Tim English has made an exceptional start to his first year at the Whitten Oval. The 205cm West Australian has a slight build but his competitiveness, particularly in marking contests, has stood out in match practice, while his foot skills are also strong. Forward/midfielder Patrick Lipinski is a smart, balanced player with good endurance, who looks well suited to the Bulldogs' link-up style of play. Key-position player Lewis Young is raw but has good skills on both sides and has shown promising signs in match simulation. Forward Fergus Greene needs to spend time in the gym, but is an elite kick prepared to take risk-reward options. Athletic tall Nathan Mullenger-McHugh also needs to bulk up, but the 19-year-old flies for marks with no fear and follows up with second and third efforts when the ball goes to ground.

The standout: Clubs have become increasingly wary of taking ruckman with first-round draft picks, but English's quick adjustment to the pace of AFL play suggests he has a bright future. - Nick Bowen

GVGjr
26-01-2017, 08:59 AM
I think we all knew once these players were drafted they would very much be on a development path and given the strength of our list it's not surprising we've drafted longer term prospects. I'm going to be most interested in seeing the positions they will play for Footscray.

jazzadogs
26-01-2017, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Mullenger-McHugh who was in a moonboot at the open training last week, for a strained peroneal tendon (runs down the outside of lower leg and ankle).

comrade
26-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Loving all the noises coming out of the club about English. Think we've got an absolute jet on our hands.

GVGjr
26-01-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Mullenger-McHugh who was in a moonboot at the open training last week, for a strained peroneal tendon (runs down the outside of lower leg and ankle).

I really don't like our first year players getting injured for any length of time. It's such an important aspect of their development to have continuity with training and then playing games. Hopefully a speedy recovery for the youngster.

bulldogtragic
26-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Now even more excited to watch these pups this year.

soupman
27-01-2017, 12:52 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-22/draftee-and-rookie-watch

The first ruckman taken in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Tim English has made an exceptional start to his first year at the Whitten Oval. The 205cm West Australian has a slight build but his competitiveness, particularly in marking contests, has stood out in match practice, while his foot skills are also strong. Forward/midfielder Patrick Lipinski is a smart, balanced player with good endurance, who looks well suited to the Bulldogs' link-up style of play. Key-position player Lewis Young is raw but has good skills on both sides and has shown promising signs in match simulation. Forward Fergus Greene needs to spend time in the gym, but is an elite kick prepared to take risk-reward options. Athletic tall Nathan Mullenger-McHugh also needs to bulk up, but the 19-year-old flies for marks with no fear and follows up with second and third efforts when the ball goes to ground.

The standout: Clubs have become increasingly wary of taking ruckman with first-round draft picks, but English's quick adjustment to the pace of AFL play suggests he has a bright future. - Nick Bowen

Interesting comments considering when English was drafted he was noted as not being very strong aerially and Youngs biggest criticism was that as a fairly late convert he had poor footskills