PDA

View Full Version : Father, son. Who was better

Twodogs
27-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Looking back over the years we have had more than our share of successful and not so successful F/S recruits. I guess they fall into three categories, good player but not as good as dad (Ted Whitten Jr), just plain not as good as dad (David Round) and better than dad (Lachie Hunter-dad was no slouch but Lachie is a jet)

So who is on what list?

bulldogtragic
27-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Tick - Luke Darcy
Cross - Ayce Cordy
Watch out for - Rhylee West

bornadog
27-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Tom Libba is better than his father.

LostDoggy
27-01-2017, 11:41 PM

Massive call but i agree on talent a this stage, Tom needs to continue for a few years yet.

Twodogs
28-01-2017, 04:03 AM

Big call. Certainly at Tom's age Tony was kicking around in the twos most weeks but Tony Liberatore ended up in my best five ever bulldog players. Tom is a rare talent though. He has the potential to be better than his dad.

Bulldog4life
28-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Tick - Luke Darcy
Cross - Ayce Cordy
Watch out for - Rhylee West

You would have to say Luke was a better player than father David but not by a huge amount. David played well over a 100 games and represented Victoria a number of times. He was our fullback after starting out as a forward and his beautiful long drop kicks were a feature of his game.

KT31
28-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Agree he has his Dad's endeavour and tenacity to win the ball with a better skill set.

bornadog
28-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Agree he has his Dad's endeavour and tenacity to win the ball with a better skill set.

I see a lot of Tony in Tom, but as you say, Tom's skills are far superior. It is hard to compare different eras. Tony is a brownlow medalist and in the team of the century, so hard to beat. I just see the skills as the big differential between the two.

BulldogBelle
28-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Here is my go at some of the players that I have seen. Some of the older ones is a guess as I never saw their fathers play.

Steve Wallis - Mitch - Steve
Tony Liberatore - Tom - Tony
Mark Hunter - Lachie - Lachie
Brian Cordy - Zaine - Zaine

Peter Foster - Jayden - TBA but Jayden has big shoes to fill.
Scott West - Rhylee - TBA Jayden also has big shoes to fill but looks very promising.

Brian Cordy - Ayce - Graham
Dave Darcy - Luke - Dave
Barry Round - David - Barry
Ted Whitten - Ted jnr - Ted

Steve Hargrave - Ryan - Shaggy Ryan
Jack Welsh - Peter - Peter
Angus Abbey - Ross - Ross
Bob Spargo snr - Bob - Bob
Ray Baxter - Darren - Ray
Arthur Edwards - Allan - Arthur
Alex snr Gardiner - Alex - Alex

Simon Beasley - ?
Matt Hannebery - Dan - lost
Murray Rance - Alex - lost

Didn't Jordan Roughead's father play for Footscray Reserves?

LostDoggy
28-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I think Ayce and Zaine are Brian Cordy's boys aren't they? Brian was a very good backman in his day.

GVGjr
28-01-2017, 08:52 PM
I think Ayce and Zaine are Brian Cordy's boys aren't they? Brian was a very good backman in his day.

Yep, Zaine has a bit of work in front of him to get ahead of Brian.

Twodogs
28-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Brian Cordy is the first really attacking half back flanker I can remember. Before him HBFers were better known for their mad stares and shirt fronts than their kicking skills. I'm not saying he invented the modern method of rebounding defenders but he was among the first with the courage to leave his man and create an option when he saw a teamate compete for the ball. Defenders usually stood shoulder to shoulder with their opponents but I think Malthouse encouraged Cordy to leave his man and create play or add numbers to a contest.

He did his knee in the final v North in 1985 from memory and was a huge loss in 1986.

Twodogs
28-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Yep, Zaine has a bit of work in front of him to get ahead of Brian.

He's one premiership ahead already!

Seriously it must have been pretty special for the fathers who had sons play in the premiership team*, **, the Libbas and Hunters and Cordy's and Rougheads (not a F/S but his dad played for the twos). Even Billy Picken after so many tries at Grand Finals with Collingwood and Andrew Dunkley with it being against his od club would been more invested than you'd think at first.

* Steve Wallis this year

** Peter Foster next year.

GVGjr
28-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Here is my go at some of the players that I have seen. Some of the older ones is a guess as I never saw their fathers play.

Graham Cordy - Zaine - Zaine

Scott West - Rhylee - TBA Jayden also has big shoes to fill but looks very promising.

Graham Cordy - Ayce - Graham
Dave Darcy - Luke - Dave

Simon Beasley - ?

You also have Lachlan and Mark Hunter plus if you count fathers from other sides you have Billy and Liam Picken, Glenn and Tory Dickson and of course Andrew and Josh Dunkley

GVGjr
28-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Brian Cordy is the first really attacking half back flanker I can remember. Before him HBFers were better known for their mad stares and shirt fronts than their kicking skills. I'm not saying he invented the modern method of rebounding defenders but he was among the first with the courage to leave his man and create an option when he saw a teamate compete for the ball. Defenders usually stood shoulder to shoulder with their opponents but I think Malthouse encouraged Cordy to leave his man and create play or add numbers to a contest.

He did his knee in the final v North in 1985 from memory and was a huge loss in 1986.

Fitzroy used to burn him big time. Conlan, Barwick and I think Murphy caused him all sorts of problems

Twodogs
28-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Fitzroy used to burn him big time. Conlan, Barwick and I think Murphy caused him all sorts of problems

Did Conlan kick 7 against us in a quarter (second quarter I think) on Brian Cordy at the junction oval? He had a rough couple of years at the start of his career before he blossomed.

Twodogs
28-01-2017, 11:19 PM

Graham Cordy - Zaine - Zaine

Graham Cordy - Ayce - Graham
Dave Darcy - Luke - Dave

Simon Beasley - ?

Bruce Reid Sr and John and Bruce Junior and Ben Reid at Coloingwood and Sam Reid at Sydney too.

Terry and Cam Wight.

Bob and Liam Jones

Leon (?) and Shaun Higgins

David and Travis Cloke

Peter and Paul Hudson

Frank (Richmond) and Paul Dimmitina

Frank Sr and Frank Jr Aked

Chidda and Harvey Stevens

Ian and Wayne Foreman

Steve and Darcy MacPherson

There that's all I can remember and find online.

bornadog
29-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Bruce Reid Sr and John and Bruce Junior and Ben Reid at Collingwood and Sam Reid at Sydney too.

Terry and Cam Wight.

Bob and Liam Jones

Leon (?) and Shaun Higgins

David and Travis Cloke

Peter and Paul Hudson

Frank (Richmond) and Paul Dimmitina

Frank Sr and Frank Jr Aked

Chidda and Harvey Stevens

Ian and Wayne Foreman

Steve and Darcy MacPherson

There that's all I can remember and find online.

Hannebery,

Twodogs
29-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Hannebery,

Brian and Ryan o' Keefe. I can remember Ryan's dad. A big ruckman who came from Fitzroy and played one game in 1980. I'm sure his name was Brian o' Keefe.

LostDoggy
29-01-2017, 10:32 AM
I think the dunks are going to end up very similar. Glad we have him.

LostDoggy
29-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Love Mitch Wallis, I'm hoping we haven't yet seen his best. 2018/19?

Twodogs
29-01-2017, 11:42 AM
I think the dunks are going to end up very similar. Glad we have him.

I wondered why we drafted him, I really did. Surely we had enough hard nosed one paced mids with questionable kicking skills?

The first time I saw him at preseason training I had a brand new favorite player. He doesn't give up, he doesn't do anything silly with the ball, he is as good overhead as any mid I've seen and he kicks goals. I think since the draft came in Dunks is only the third first year draftee to play in a premiership, Cyril Rioli and Joel Selwood are the others. That's pretty good company.

LostDoggy
29-01-2017, 12:35 PM
I wondered why we drafted him, I really did. Surely we had enough hard nosed one paced mids with questionable kicking skills?

The first time I saw him at preseason training I had a brand new favorite player. He doesn't give up, he doesn't do anything silly with the ball, he is as good overhead as any mid I've seen and he kicks goals. I think since the draft came in Dunks is only the third first year draftee to play in a premiership, Cyril Rioli and Joel Selwood are the others. That's pretty good company.

Haha yeah, I thought the same thing. Actually most of the last several years drafting has seen me question the decisions. Too small, too tall, too many of the same type and need some pace and kicking skills.

I was wrong :)

Josh has a clear head, a footy brain, good skills and the guts of a front line soldier. Bulldogs premiership player. He better improve if he wants to stay in the team. Seems like these sentences together are incorrect but that's the state of the list.

Twodogs
29-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Was it Andrew Dunkley who punched his dislocated kneecap back into place out in the middle of a game?

KT31
29-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Was it Andrew Dunkley who punched his dislocated kneecap back into place out in the middle of a game?

From my poor memory it was Daryn Cresswell.

KT31
29-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Just googled it and I surprise myself sometimes, it was Cresswell.
Don't press play if you have a weak stomach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQURPifOnE

Twodogs
29-01-2017, 01:52 PM
From my poor memory it was Daryn Cresswell.

Thanks KT. It's grisly but compelling footage. That must have hurt a lot.

I wonder if #8 is the tough guy number at the Swans like it is with us.

BulldogBelle
29-01-2017, 11:13 PM

Yes, its Brian Cordy. I have fixed up my post.
He was an attacking half back and he played alongside Ross Abbey.
I see him at the football every now and then.
I didn't rate him too highly.
Was just a standard footballer in my eyes.
Zaine, I reckon will be better.

merantau
30-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Did Conlan kick 7 against us in a quarter (second quarter I think) on Brian Cordy at the junction oval? He had a rough couple of years at the start of his career before he blossomed.

Conlon kicked 12 that day. I was there. Nightmare.

Twodogs
30-01-2017, 07:50 AM
Yes, its Brian Cordy. I have fixed up my post.
He was an attacking half back and he played alongside Ross Abbey.
I see him at the football every now and then.
I didn't rate him too highly.
Was just a standard footballer in my eyes.
Zaine, I reckon will be better.

Brian was a good player until he did his knee and lost a bit of pace. But Zaine will be a ripper.

LostDoggy
02-02-2017, 02:44 AM

That incident was from the same day that Chris Grant striked Nick Holland that eventually cost him the Brownlow. The same day Jason Dunstall kicked his 1200th career goal. That match was less famous for the 45-point win to the Bulldogs being their largest victory of the 1997 season. I am not sure how many teams have made a PF and their greatest winning margin is as small as 45 points. We were actually behind by three points during the final quarter.

Topdog
02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Big call. Certainly at Tom's age Tony was kicking around in the twos most weeks but Tony Liberatore ended up in my best five ever bulldog players. Tom is a rare talent though. He has the potential to be better than his dad.

Premiership hero Tom IMO injury and keeping his head screwed on permitting will end up being a much better player than Tony and Tony was one of my favs. Tom is a rare talent and his ability to extract the ball is second to none.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM

Great kid too great head on his shoulders.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Premiership hero Tom IMO injury and keeping his head screwed on permitting will end up being a much better player than Tony and Tony was one of my favs. Tom is a rare talent and his ability to extract the ball is second to none.

Mitch Wallis knows exactly what he's going to do too. He's been playing with Tom sincce schooldays. He knows when to hover next to a pack and when to keep going just by checking where Tom is. If he's going for the ball Mitch stops and calls out "Tom, Tom" until the ball comes flying towards him. It's great to watch.

Topdog
02-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Mitch Wallis knows exactly what he's going to do too. He's been playing with Tom sincce schooldays. He knows when to hover next to a pack and when to keep going just by checking where Tom is. If he's going for the ball Mitch stops and calls out "Tom, Tom" until the ball comes flying towards him. It's great to watch.

I watched the Hawks game last night again and that pickup and handball to Bont for the "You know who it is" goal was fantastic play by Tom

bornadog
02-02-2017, 02:37 PM
I watched the Hawks game last night again and that pickup and handball to Bont for the "You know who it is" goal was fantastic play by Tom

Tom's finals series was amazing. The amount of times he did handballs like that from bottom of packs and look away ones over his head, was no fluke. Remembering he was coming back not only from a knee reco, but an injury that looked like his season was over.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Tom's finals series was amazing. The amount of times he did handballs like that from bottom of packs and look away ones over his head, was no fluke. Remembering he was coming back not only from a knee reco, but an injury that looked like his season was over.

The Tom Libba chucks the ball is offensive I reckon. His hands are so quick that sometimes you don't see the movement until the slow mo replay but it's always a proper handball as defined by the rules-the ball is is one hand and its punched by the other. But I worry that, especially early in the season, Tom is going to be singled put under the tighter interpretation and fair handballs of his will be called throws.

Topdog
02-02-2017, 10:39 PM
The Tom Libba chucks the ball is offensive I reckon. His hands are so quick that sometimes you don't see the movement until the slow mo replay but it's always a proper handball as defined by the rules-the ball is is one hand and its punched by the other. But I worry that, especially early in the season, Tom is going to be singled put under the tighter interpretation and fair handballs of his will be called throws.

He probably will be but as with most bullshit interpretation changes from season to season I can see the handball one not being called after Round 9

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 10:53 PM
He probably will be but as with most bullshit interpretation changes from season to season I can see the handball one not being called after Round 9

Like last season. Toby McLean kept getting head high tackles paid to him (mostly correctly) but then for a month or six weeks after the meeja made a fuss mid season they stopped paying him frees until later in the season and over the finals doing a complete 360 degrees back to paying him the same frees they were at the start of the season.