PDA

View Full Version : Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs

Axe Man
30-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/jason-johannisen-set-to-double-his-value-in-next-deal-with-western-bulldogs/news-story/706453bd7837cc75b0b2de8191b1d08f)
https://s29.postimg.org/wrnzyst93/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ckak6hvrn/)
NORM Smith medallist Jason Johannisen is in line for a sharp pay rise as the Western Bulldogs look to lock-in the Grand Final hero to a fresh long-term deal.

The speedster tops the club’s list of priority re-signings this year after his line-breaking run helped deliver the club a stunning premiership win last season.

But any move to delay contract talks throughout this season from Johannisen, 24, will heighten strong interest from rival clubs, especially from his home state of Western Australia.

Johannisen’s next deal is estimated to be worth more than $500,000 a year at the kennel - more than double the value of his last contract which he signed in 2014, when the former rookie had played less than 30 AFL games.

The Dogs remain confident the opportunity to enjoy more premiership success and brilliant team chemistry at Whitten Oval will significantly outweigh the temptation to earn more money elsewhere.

Dual premiership North Melbourne defender and AFL analyst David King backed the club to keep Johannisen, but said not all of its young stars could earn big dollars as the Dogs attempt to balance their books.

“They have got to find a way to try and satisfy all of them, (Marcus) Bontempelli, (Luke) Dahlhaus, (Tom) Liberatore, (Jackson) Macrae, even guys like Clay Smith got rolling last season,” King told the Herald Sun.

“But the bottom line is when you go out and recruit a guy like Tom Boyd on the money we all know he is on, and no doubt they have done it for the right reasons - to win a flag and they did it with him (Boyd) being as instrumental as he was.

“But what it does do is it raises the bar in terms of what players think they are entitled to and what they think the club can afford.”

Johannisen finished 10th in the best and fairest despite missing 10 games with a severe hamstring injury and narrowly pipped Boyd for the Norm Smith Medal, gathering 33 possessions against Sydney Swans in the decider.

Johannisen is one the few Bulldogs’ young guns who comes out of contract this year, along with fullback Marcus Adams, midfielders Caleb Daniel and Clay Smith and returning forward Stewart Crameri.

The club remains highly confident it will keep the South African-born defender as its young list targets back-to-back premierships under coach Luke Beveridge.

The club has cleverly locked away the bulk of its top-line young talents to long-term deals under premiership list boss Jason McCartney, helping protect the star youngsters from poaching raids.

Future captain Bontempelli (2019), Lachie Hunter (2019), Jake Stringer (2018), Macrae (2018), Dahlhaus (2018), Liberatore (2018) and Jordan Roughead (2018) have all inked multi-year deals.

Johannisen blossomed into one of the AFL’s most damaging running defenders during a breakout 2016 season, averaging 24 possessions a game.

The 64-gamer was ranked ninth for uncontested possessions of all general defenders in the league and was classified as an “above average” player by AFL statisticians Champion Data.

Favourite son Liam Picken, who is out of contract and a free agent at season’s end, is also expected to re-sign after another excellent season.

Veteran captain Robert Murphy is also out of contract at season’s end as he eyes a Round 1 comeback from a knee reconstruction.

KT31
30-01-2017, 01:09 PM
The $500K mark sounds about right as his run and carry is so important and rare to find, I hope they don't root and get the job done soon.
Marcus Adams will be a hard ask, midfielders Caleb Daniel, Clay Smith and returning forward Stewart Crameri all owe a bit to the club (albeit different levels) so I can't imagine them leaving to go elsewhere.

1eyedog
31-01-2017, 01:46 AM
If he asks too much or gets an offer he can't refuse I reckon a young gun by the name of Bailey Williams would turn out to be a worthy replacement.

Twodogs
31-01-2017, 02:48 AM
If he asks too much or gets an offer he can't refuse I reckon a young gun by the name of Bailey Williams would turn out to be a worthy replacement.

It would have to be a pretty good deal to get him to leave. He's already knocked back one pretty good offer from another club to stay with us. And that was before he was a first 22 regular.

1eyedog
31-01-2017, 02:55 PM
It would have to be a pretty good deal to get him to leave. He's already knocked back one pretty good offer from another club to stay with us. And that was before he was a first 22 regular.

Yeah it would have to be an offer he couldn't refuse and we'd be unlikely to pay.

bornadog
31-01-2017, 04:17 PM
I just want him signed up earlier rather than later, the vultures are probably already lining up.

bornadog
31-01-2017, 04:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3eLvSuUYAA9lWg.jpg

bulldogsthru&thru
31-01-2017, 04:40 PM
I just want him signed up earlier rather than later, the vultures are probably already lining up.

I'm sure both Freo and WC are wooing him back home

Twodogs
31-01-2017, 05:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3eLvSuUYAA9lWg.jpg

Seeing JJ's name makes "2013 B. Lake Hawthorn" a little bit easier to take.

whythelongface
31-01-2017, 10:00 PM
He is a must keep player and vital for our team over the next 5 or so years. Whilst Williams may be a replacement (in a few years) we will also lose Murphy and Boyd over the course of the next few years (maybe even this year). Hence even more important to sign JJ up.

Twodogs
31-01-2017, 10:20 PM
He is a must keep player and vital for our team over the next 5 or so years. Whilst Williams may be a replacement (in a few years) we will also lose Murphy and Boyd over the course of the next few years (maybe even this year). Hence even more important to sign JJ up.

Sometimes the gameplan seems to be "get the ball into JJ's hands and then make room for him"

MrMahatma
01-02-2017, 10:16 AM
I think having guys like Rhovat and Hamling leave could work in our favour. Let's assume there really is a "special bond" between players and coaches at the dogs, we should then assume it's different to other clubs. If that's the case then word will get back to the guys weighing up other offers and they'll have another reason to stay.

bornadog
01-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Seeing JJ's name makes "2013 B. Lake Hawthorn" a little bit easier to take.

Who??? :D

Twodogs
01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Who??? :D

You know, that guy from Hawthorn. Blake somebody. He's related to that Brian Harris guy that played at full back for us

ledge
01-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Pretty sure he mentioned he loved the club and wouldn't leave.
We nurtured him when no one else would he owes us.
Seems a loyal guy to a decent wage I would imagine.
Besides I can't see either WA teams going anywhere, Lyon seems to have had his run and looking at Simpson in the elimination final he looked lost for any fight or ideas in the heat of the game once they were pressured.

bornadog
08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
DOGS LOOK TO LOCK IN NORM

Western Bulldogs Defender Jason Johannisen will begin contract talks with Western Bulldogs as soon as possible to remain at the club for the long term.
Speaking on SEN this morning alongside Robert Murphy. Jason plans to sit down with the Western Bulldogs about an extension were imminent.
The 24 year old Norm Smith Medalist is a hot target for Western Australian Clubs but Jason reinforced that he's here for the long run with Captain Bob Murphy also suggesting that the players may give up some future pay to keep Jason.

bornadog
08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Dogs will 'pass the hat around' to keep JJ (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-08/dogs-will-pass-the-hat-around-to-keep-jj?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

THE Western Bulldogs will "pass the hat around" to ensure Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen remains at the club next season.

The dynamic running defender would command big money on the open market after his best on ground performance in last year's Grand Final victory against Sydney.

Johannisen – who is out of contract at the end of this year – said talks with the Bulldogs about an extension were imminent.

"Hopefully a deal gets done soon," Johannisen told SEN on Wednesday morning.
Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy was confident that Johannisen wouldn't be going anywhere.

"He's a star and if that means we have to pass the hat around for loose change to keep him, that's how we'll do it," Murphy said.
Johannisen has played 64 games for the Bulldogs after being taken with the 105th overall pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.

Opposition teams are sure to put more effort into finding ways to negate Johannisen's influence off half-back.

But the speedy Dog himself believes that would be a dangerous tactic with other players capable of filling the role.

"The way our team plays, we're going to have a lot of players that will give us drive," Johannisen said.
"If someone gives me a bit of tension we'll have Bob (Murphy) or Shane Biggs or Matthew Boyd running ragged.

"So if it comes, it comes, but I think we can deal with it."

The Bulldogs came from nowhere to claim the flag last season, winning three finals on the road before upsetting the Swans to end a 62-year premiership drought.
Johannisen said the Bulldogs had discussed how they would handle the increased expectations as the reigning premiers.

"We spoke about it, but the power of this group is that 2016 is behind us and it's going to be a fresh new season," he said.

"All we can concentrate on each session is trying to get better."

Mofra
08-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Johannisen has played 64 games for the Bulldogs after being taken with the 105th overall pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.
Not even the best 105th pick in our history :cool:

Bulldog Joe
08-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Another example of lazy journalism.
JJ was actually taken at pick 39 in the 2010 rookie draft. The 2012 draft was just the rookie upgrade.

Twodogs
08-02-2017, 09:59 PM
JJ was actually taken at pick 39 in the 2010 rookie draft. The 2012 draft was just the rookie upgrade.

Thanks. I thought he was one of our super rookie brigade. For a club that couldn't even afford a full compliment of rookies for a few years in a row we have done spectacularly well with the players we actually did get.

bornadog
09-02-2017, 12:00 AM

Upgraded with pick 105. ;)

Mofra
09-02-2017, 09:44 AM
2010 was a terrible terrible draft - yet we picked up Wallis & Libba in the draft then Dahlhaus and JJ in the rookie draft.

If there was ever a year I'd point to as the catalyst for building a premiership list, 2010 is it. Nobody got close to us, worst draft in living memory.

Happy Days
10-02-2017, 01:08 AM
2010 was a terrible terrible draft - yet we picked up Wallis & Libba in the draft then Dahlhaus and JJ in the rookie draft.

If there was ever a year I'd point to as the catalyst for building a premiership list, 2010 is it. Nobody got close to us, worst draft in living memory.

We got 2 of the best 5 players in the draft in the rookie draft. Talk about doing more with less.

soupman
10-02-2017, 02:18 AM

Not sure about that. From that draft year you can make the following side, which seems fairly competent:

FB: M. Hibberd, T. McDonald, J. McGovern
HB: J. Johannisen, S. Day, B. Smith
C: A. Gaff, D. Heppell, C. Guthrie
HF: L. Dahlhaus, J. Darling, I. Smith
FF: J. Jenkins, T. Lynch, P. Puopolo
R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, T. Liberatore

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Prestia

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, D. Swallow

And that still leaves J. Cripps, J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips

Bulldog Joe
10-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Not sure about that. From that draft year you can make the following side, which seems fairly competent:

R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, D. Prestia

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Swallow

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, J. Cripps

And that still leaves J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips

You seem to be missing a pretty good player in that side.

A certain T Liberatore would surely think "What about me?"

soupman
10-02-2017, 08:50 AM
You seem to be missing a pretty good player in that side.

A certain T Liberatore would surely think "What about me?"

Fixed. He was on my list, just got lost between the centre line and the ruckline. In my defence it was late.

Mofra
10-02-2017, 11:06 AM

R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, T. Liberatore

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Prestia

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, D. Swallow

And that still leaves J. Cripps, J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips
So many of those kids were later picks or late developers - and I'd put up almost any draft against them.

The top 10 reads like this:

1 David Swallow East Fremantle WAFL Gold Coast
2 Harley Bennell Peel Thunder WAFL Gold Coast
3 Sam Day Sturt SANFL Gold Coast
4 Andrew Gaff Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup West Coast
5 Jared Polec Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Brisbane Lions
6 Reece Conca Perth WAFL Richmond
7 Josh Caddy Northern Knights TAC Cup Gold Coast
8 Dyson Heppell Gippsland Power TAC Cup Essendon
9 Dion Prestia Calder Cannons TAC Cup Gold Coast
10 Daniel Gorringe Norwood SANFL Gold Coast

I deliberately left off the players selected 11-20 as apart from Tom Lynch (gun) the rest are failures or disappointments. Only Atley (pre-season legend like Higgins with less ability and output) Smith and Jacobs (re-emerged as a decent tagger and you con find better ones on any rookie list) are still around.

From the team above McGovern is on the outer do to his inability to stick to zone positioning, Guthrie is horribly overrated by Geelong, Darling goes missing every finals campaign, Parker is a B grader talked up to A grade level, Lycett is ok but average, Howe plays 3 good minutes every game and that's it, Atley is Gav Urqhardt mk 2, Swallow a plodder, Bennell a headcase and I don't think I'd take any player off the "still leaves" list for free if we were offered them.

We picked the eyes out of that draft, no doubt about it.

Greystache
10-02-2017, 11:22 AM
So many of those kids were later picks or late developers - and I'd put up almost any draft against them.

The top 10 reads like this:

1 David Swallow East Fremantle WAFL Gold Coast
2 Harley Bennell Peel Thunder WAFL Gold Coast
3 Sam Day Sturt SANFL Gold Coast
4 Andrew Gaff Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup West Coast
5 Jared Polec Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Brisbane Lions
6 Reece Conca Perth WAFL Richmond
7 Josh Caddy Northern Knights TAC Cup Gold Coast
8 Dyson Heppell Gippsland Power TAC Cup Essendon
9 Dion Prestia Calder Cannons TAC Cup Gold Coast
10 Daniel Gorringe Norwood SANFL Gold Coast

I deliberately left off the players selected 11-20 as apart from Tom Lynch (gun) the rest are failures or disappointments. Only Atley (pre-season legend like Higgins with less ability and output) Smith and Jacobs (re-emerged as a decent tagger and you con find better ones on any rookie list) are still around.

From the team above McGovern is on the outer do to his inability to stick to zone positioning, Guthrie is horribly overrated by Geelong, Darling goes missing every finals campaign, Parker is a B grader talked up to A grade level, Lycett is ok but average, Howe plays 3 good minutes every game and that's it, Atley is Gav Urqhardt mk 2, Swallow a plodder, Bennell a headcase and I don't think I'd take any player off the "still leaves" list for free if we were offered them.

We picked the eyes out of that draft, no doubt about it.

McGovern was All Australian this year, hardly on the outer. He also finished 6th in their B&F.

Twodogs
15-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Fixed. He was on my list, just got lost between the centre line and the ruckline. In my defence it was late.

It's that haircut. It doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME"

Go_Dogs
15-02-2017, 07:38 PM
McGovern was All Australian this year, hardly on the outer. He also finished 6th in their B&F.

I think he's been confused with McKenzie.

On balance, it looks like a pretty handy team from the 2010 draft - that we've got 4 high quality players is a huge result.

bornadog
27-02-2017, 03:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9PKmUeO38&t=8s

bulldogtragic
27-02-2017, 04:10 PM
"Dog for life". "Deal soon".

You beauty!! That Tom Boyd contract is killing us... Tools!! :D

LostDoggy
27-02-2017, 05:23 PM
That BLOODY Tom Boyd contract will be the death of this club mark my words.
#Flogs :D

GVGjr
27-02-2017, 07:12 PM
He has genuine love for the club and his team mates. It will be great to have him on a long deal.

He's a very exciting player to watch and hopefully there is still a bit of improvement in him

Bulldog Revolution
27-02-2017, 10:53 PM
He has genuine love for the club and his team mates. It will be great to have him on a long deal.

He's a very exciting player to watch and hopefully there is still a bit of improvement in him

Re-watching the prelim and granny he was super impressive in both, and off what can't have been ideal preparation missing such a block of time

I believe there is still upside in JJ

1eyedog
28-02-2017, 01:02 AM
Saying all the right things but need that line inked.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 08:11 PM
West Coke confirm they are a suitor

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 08:12 PM
West Coke confirm they are a suitor

They are a concern.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 08:25 PM
They are a concern.

From Fox Footy

WEST Coast has been confirmed as a suitor for Norm Smith medallist Jason Johanissen.

Club sources and Johannisen’s management have confirmed that the Eagles have registered their interest in the speedy running defender, who is likely to delay a decision until the end of the season.

Johannisen fits West Coast’s profile on two fronts. One, he is a West Australian, and second, the Eagles recognise they could sorely do with more outside run from either behind the ball or in the midfield — where the Giants successfully exploited them on Sunday.

Johannisen’s manager Tim Galic confirmed to Foxfooty.com.au that the Eagles were an interested party. “West Coast has registered an interest in the player,” Galic said.

The Bulldogs are understood to have made Johannisen an offer in the $500,000 plus per season range and there is no suggestion he is seeking a return home to Perth. Victorian clubs, not just the sides from Johannisen’s home state, are also interested in him.

Galic confirmed that the Bulldogs have been a regular dialogue with him and that it was “likely” a decision would be made at the end of the season as Johannisen concentrates on his on-field performance.

The Bulldogs value Johannisen highly but they are also committed to their player payments regime which sees an even spread in their top 15 players, with the obvious exception of ruck/forward Tom Boyd.

Players of Johannisen’s type have increased currency in the 2017 marketplace as clubs place a premium on linebreaking players who can take the game on.

Johannisen’s stocks rose throughout the 2016 season, polling 10 Brownlow votes and seeing him win the Norm Smith medal as best on ground in the Bulldogs' Grand Final victory.

Originally born in South Africa, Johannisen moved to Perth when he was eight years old. The 24-year-old has played 74 career matches since being selected with Pick 39 in the 2011 Rookie Draft. Link (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles-confirmed-as-suitor-for-western-bulldogs-norm-smith-medallist-jason-johannisen/news-story/4bc5738060980a2f71cb46b30f647362)

always right
29-05-2017, 08:30 PM
His manager saying a decision is likely to be made at the end of the season worries me and contradicts recent reports that talks are back on. I'm concerned. I know many will say no-one is irreplaceable but JJ is one of a handful on our list that is intrinsic to our success. Whilst we move the ball wellwe have little pace in our side. JJ is critical to us breaking defensive lines.

ratsmac
29-05-2017, 08:52 PM
His manager saying a decision is likely to be made at the end of the season worries me and contradicts recent reports that talks are back on. I'm concerned. I know many will say no-one is irreplaceable but JJ is one of a handful on our list that is intrinsic to our success. Whilst we move the ball wellwe have little pace in our side. JJ is critical to us breaking defensive lines.

Totally agree. I remember when we lost Harbrow who played the same role for us. We eventually found a replacement for him though.... JJ

hujsh
29-05-2017, 09:38 PM
500,000 plus sounds more fair than what we were 'supposedly' offering him initially. IIRC it was 400,000 a year.

Is JJ worth much more than 550K a season? After accounting for the inflation in the salary cap he probably is but holding that stable it's hard to say.

I'd be more confident about sinking more cash into him if he wasn't missing so many shots at goal.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2017, 09:38 PM
His manager sounds a long way out of his depth.

Topdog
29-05-2017, 09:43 PM
yeah his manager sounds like he thinks he is very important

Remi Moses
29-05-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm confident the club won't overpay on JJ , and for me he's a between 500 to 600 grand player .
If he gets 800 then good luck

Ozza
29-05-2017, 10:37 PM
He is one of our very best players, with a unique set of skills and is becoming more and more influential in games.
We need to get him locked away.
Clubs are quite possibly only just beginning to get their heads around what they are capable of doing with their new salary cap, the evolving world of free agency and the current unsigned players. The longer this goes on, the more probable that another club gets their ducks in a row and offers JJ $4m over 5 years - if they haven't already.

Daughter of the West
30-05-2017, 09:53 AM
From Fox Footy

Did you see the first comment under this article on Facebook?

One Jack Redpath practicing his comedy...

Gives me hope that it's not as bad as it seems.

Axe Man
30-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Did you see the first comment under this article on Facebook?

One Jack Redpath practicing his comedy...

Gives me hope that it's not as bad as it seems.

https://s1.postimg.org/79qbdwb0v/Capture1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/biv1g2ea3/)

WBFC4FFC
08-06-2017, 05:27 PM
https://s1.postimg.org/79qbdwb0v/Capture1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/biv1g2ea3/)

Given M Boyd and Murphy are on their last-legs, the side can't afford to let JJ go.

Topdog
08-06-2017, 10:45 PM
He certainly didnt get an increase tonight

bulldogtragic
08-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Some question, even small ones for other clubs, about whether he should be a $700,000 player.

KT31
08-06-2017, 10:51 PM
He certainly didnt get an increase tonight

I would say a fair decrease in value.