PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have JMac target this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Very funny.

I have to think about it. Could it be this years and next years first rounders, but would that do it? I am not good at this stuff.

Rhylee West is a possible/likely first rounder next year. Pick 10 & future second rounder secured Jaeger. I think Kelly is worth more, as you say a future first. But that's just creating problems next year. So we from an overall position probably need to trade out a good player this year. So if we want Kelly, then who do we put up?

So far this thread has Stringer & Dahlhaus as options.

kruder
21-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Kelly isn't coming to the Bulldogs its pretty simple.

bornadog
21-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Rhylee West is a possible/likely first rounder next year. Pick 10 & future second rounder secured Jaeger. I think Kelly is worth more, as you say a future first. But that's just creating problems next year. So we from an overall position probably need to trade out a good player this year. So if we want Kelly, then who do we put up?

More competition:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHvrvXxVoAAy9Jl.jpg

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 08:42 PM
They don't have a salary cap, so it's to be expected....

Happy Days
21-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Dahl won't be enough to get the deal done. I mentioned in another thread that Dahl might be a tradeable commodity because of his sharp regression in 2017 with regard to ball use and decision making, but after thinking about it in more detail I agree with Comrade in that he is a fabric player that would damage the culture of the club if traded away.

Kelly's worst game will be low 20's possessions, a goal and probably 3-4 tackles. Stringer's worst game has him listed as a missing person on a milk carton. Stringer at his best is dynamic, but it is an increasingly rare occurrence and his tank will always prevent him from being any more than a short burst player in the midfield. And I love Stringer - that goal in the last qtr of the GF is something that maybe 2-3 players in the comp could have kicked - but you have to be bold to get better.

I'm pretty stubborn with this to be honest. Our forward mix has been dismal this year, and trading out our far and away best forward to add a midfielder (albeit an incredible one) is not the way to fix it. I've written elsewhere that a more competent and trusted backline will do wonders for our forwards, and that little bit of extra openness will do Stringer wonders too. That, and hopefully not busting his shoulder/hamstring/knee/hamstring and getting a full year under his belt.

Dahlhaus has regressed, but not to the point that his coupling with a top-10 pick couldn't command most players. Take the point on board about heart-and-soul, but who says trading a contracted Stringer doesn't go straight to that same heart?

Bulldog Revolution
21-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Michaelangelo Rucci suggested that we were perhaps with Adelaide the front runner - we've obviously sought clarity and haven't got it as he doesn't need the distraction whilst their season is rolling

So I think others are right and we want to make sure we don't miss out on plans B, C etc

Remi Moses
21-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Brian Taylor on talking footy reckons it's not right that we are out of the running .
I'm confused , seems like some ducks and drakes being played by all concerned .

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Brian Taylor on talking footy reckons it's not right that we are out of the running .
I'm confused , seems like some ducks and drakes being played by all concerned .

I'm pretty sure BT & Lever Snr are close. If BT is saying that, that's interesting. Maybe we are taking it way to see if he misses the thought of being close to home next year on big money with a talented team. Maybe that crystallises Jakes thinking one way or another. But we can't do a 'Hurley' again, so good on JMac for being proactive.

Bulldog Revolution
21-08-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure BT & Lever Snr are close. If BT is saying that, that's interesting. Maybe we are taking it way to see if he misses the thought of being close to home next year on big money with a talented team. Maybe that crystallises Jakes thinking one way or another. But we can't do a 'Hurley' again, so good on JMac for being proactive.

I think Levers from Romsey which is where BT lives

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 09:06 PM
I think Levers from Romsey which is where BT lives

Yep, and I believe they know each other well. I had some family living around there for a long time. I'd trust BTs mail if that's what he's said tonight.

Hotdog60
21-08-2017, 09:06 PM
If I was Lever I would be saying leave me alone as I've got finals to worry about.
Isn't this like poaching in the old days when discussions were held during a season.

Pickenitup
21-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Have heard through a reliable source that if Brad Scott leaves north that Jarrad Waite won't get a contract any interest in Waite for a year?

Remi Moses
21-08-2017, 09:17 PM
To old an injury prone

azabob
21-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Herald Sun going with Suns and Pies heavily into Jason McCartney and Simon Dalrymple.

McCartney out of contract this year and Dal next year.

Happy Days
21-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Herald Sun going with Suns and Pies heavily into Jason McCartney and Simon Dalrymple.

McCartney out of contract this year and Dal next year.

In that order?

Wouldn't surprise me if McCartney left, but to that dumpster fire?

GVGjr
21-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Hypothetical. Josh Kelly tells us and St Kilda I'm happy with your offers. St Kilda offer up picks 7 & 8. We offer up pick 10 and what?

It could be pick 10 this year and next years first rounder. That would give GWS a pick this year and an extra one in a stronger draft

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 09:49 PM
It could be pick 10 this year and next years first rounder. That would give GWS a pick this year and an extra one in a stronger draft

Giving up 1,000 to 2,000 draft points next year with two hopeful candidates under FS and NGA. Seems a lot of points to give up if Dalrymple rates one or both.

GVGjr
21-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Giving up 1,000 to 2,000 draft points next year with two hopeful candidates under FS and NGA. Seems a lot of points to give up if Dalrymple rates one or both.

Agreed, it's why I don't like trading away future picks. Ideally we need to deal with things this year.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Agreed, it's why I don't like trading away future picks. Ideally we need to deal with things this year.

Yep. I know it's not popular with fans, but sometimes you need to trade. Especially if there's elite talent ready to improve the side from Round 1.

Rocket Science
21-08-2017, 10:36 PM
In that order?

Wouldn't surprise me if McCartney left, but to that dumpster fire?

If the AFEL decree and bankroll it in an attempt to put that fire out, quite possibly.

boydogs
21-08-2017, 11:11 PM

There's a few Father-Sons that may interest them but not sure whether we should go there

Mantis
22-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Mantis hack your account again? :D

Come on, give me some names. Got to give quality, to get quality.

Hey smart arse, get bent!

bulldogtragic
22-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Hey smart arse, get bent!

Okay

Axe Man
22-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Western Bulldogs list chief Jason McCartney yet to sign contract extension (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-list-chief-jason-mccartney-yet-to-sign-contract-extension/news-story/703199de61fab91bfe1f0e6977a3dc0e)

WESTERN Bulldogs are yet to lock away their premiership list chief Jason McCartney on a contract extension, leaving him vulnerable to a poaching raid.

The Herald Sun can reveal McCartney’s contract expires immediately following this year’s trade and draft periods at the end of November.

While McCartney is believed to have indicated his strong desire to stay at the kennel, clubs including Gold Coast and Collingwood are both looking to bolster their recruiting teams.

National recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple is contracted for another season with the Dogs and is also considered one of the leading talent identification experts in the country.

Dalrymple has been touted as a likely target for Gold Coast as the Suns prepare to make sweeping changes to their key football staff.

McCartney and Dalrymple and their talent spotters have excelled in recent drafts, despite having one of football’s smallest recruiting budgets.

McCartney, who joined the Dogs in 2012 and was re-signed in 2015, was lauded for his role in helping piece together the Dogs’ drought-breaking 2016 premiership team.

The former North Melbourne and Collingwood key defender secured premiership players Tom Boyd, Joel Hamling and Shane Biggs from other clubs and helped implement a retention strategy to protect their gun youngsters, such as Marcus Bontempelli, from big-money rival offers.

But the architect of the Dogs’ successful list strategy, McCartney, is still facing an uncertain future.

With only one game remaining in the regular season, there has been no movement on his situation as the Dogs prepare to enter another critical exchange period following a disappointing premiership defence.

McCartney is expected to meet with football director Chris Grant for key talks on his future immediately following the Dogs’ season.

They need to defeat Hawthorn on Friday night and rely on other teams ahead of them on the ladder losing to surpass them inside the eight.

bornadog
22-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Okay

it's ok, I knew it was just a bit of fun. ;)

bornadog
22-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Anyone interested in Mason Cox? Out of contract and fielding a few offers from Hawks and Richmond.

Axe Man
22-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Anyone interested in Mason Cox? Out of contract and fielding a few offers from Hawks and Richmond.

Not unless we need a new goal post down at Whitten Oval.

Mofra
22-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Is ok as a ruck, not so much as a key forward.
We have Tim English as our developing ruck, I'd rather a cheap ruck in their late 20s as a stop-gap until English is ready.

Mantis
22-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Box Hill's ruck/forward combo of Vickery & Cox will send shivers across the entire VFL competition.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Is ok as a ruck, not so much as a key forward.
We have Tim English as our developing ruck, I'd rather a cheap ruck in their late 20s as a stop-gap until English is ready.

I tend to disregard anything that come out of David King's mouth so against my better judgement I'll raise his endorsement of Jake Spencer as an 'ideal mature age, ready made option for a team needing help in the ruck'.

The Doctor
22-08-2017, 11:19 AM

I'd rather Lurch

bulldogtragic
22-08-2017, 01:40 PM
If Lever is out of the frame, how do we feel about sounding out Eric McKenzie?

Mantis
22-08-2017, 03:06 PM
If Lever is out of the frame, how do we feel about sounding out Eric McKenzie?

Isn't he just what we hope Collins or Roberts could be?

If we chase a defender he needs to be something we don't have on the list, a tall attacking type.

Mofra
22-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Isn't he just what we hope Collins or Roberts could be?
Better one on one (was highly regarded by WCE at one, point and best 22), not good at all as part of Simpson's zone defence.
Given we play a similar defensive style I don't think he'd be a good fit for us.

Happy Days
22-08-2017, 03:26 PM
McKenzie is so cooked and is lucky to play in the same side as McGovern and Brad Sheppard. Was playing two's for most of the year, and just happened to play his best game for the year against us. He makes so many awful errors and I don't think my heart could take it.

Ozza
22-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I have a feeling Jackson Trengove might be one that we target.

Out of contract. Can play in all 3 main areas of the ground, which we know is important to Bevo. Currently 26 years old - so is probably a 4 years (or more) investment.

Remi Moses
22-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Don't think Mckenzie's been the same player since the knee injury .
Tends to make loads of mistakes also

Remi Moses
22-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Out of contract. Can play in all 3 main areas of the ground, which we know is important to Bevo. Currently 26 years old - so is probably a 4 years (or more) investment.

I like Trengove's versatility, but he butchers the ball .

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Twodogs, you were never sold on adding Lever to the side, what do you think we have dodged?

Lever is a quality player but I'm concerned about areas of the ground we are neglecting while we out stumping up big money for a tall defender when appear to have plenty developing already. I don't think Lever will leave Adelaide anyway and i don't want the same debacle that happened with Hurley last year.

And promise not to boo them at their home ground again!

Nah it would have to be a player I'd say. One of ours or a 3 way. The problem is what do they need? It's like trying the buy a gift for someone who has everything.

We could respectfully clap as they ran into the ground for the next five ye, four, three maybe years.

No *!*!*!*! it I couldn't promise not to do it,

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 04:17 PM

He should fit in just fine then.

Bulldog4life
22-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Last week he was dropped from Port's side.

The Doctor
22-08-2017, 04:45 PM

This article mentions we are interested.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-22/free-agent-to-resign-and-stay-with-power

macca
22-08-2017, 05:06 PM
What about Kyle Cheney ? His battling away in sanfl,knows Bevo and has an attacking in element in his game. Age 27 has mature age profile, and has been at 3 clubs ( melb ,hawks, crows) He probably has Bevo Phone number and seems to be one who does not lose his mobile.

bornadog
22-08-2017, 05:21 PM
What about Kyle Cheney ? His battling away in sanfl,knows Bevo and has an attacking in element in his game. Age 27 has mature age profile, and has been at 3 clubs ( melb ,hawks, crows) He probably has Bevo Phone number and seems to be one who does not lose his mobile.

Kyle is 186cm.

Personally, I think we need a fullback around 198cm plus who can play on the gorilla forwards and is mobile and attacking as well.

Happy Days
22-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Please no. I'd rather Chris Cheney.

GVGjr
22-08-2017, 06:12 PM

He's not a great player but as you have highlighted can play in a variety of positions and I would regard him as a structure player.
I'm led to believe he is a very good club man as well.

Ticks a few boxes for what we need. Certainly worth having a chat to him but doubtful we will.

Remi Moses
22-08-2017, 06:37 PM
We're starting to scrape the bottom of the proverbial barrel .

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 06:55 PM
We're starting to scrape the bottom of the proverbial barrel .

Leigh Brown was a vital player in a premiership team after being dropped off North's list.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Would he just re-sign himself?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Have said it before - Trengove is so incredibly vanilla. I'd be disappointed if we went for him.

Horrible skills, not good enough as a key defender (but it's probably his best position), not good enough as a ruck and a terrible forward.

Next.

Dry Rot
22-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Anyone know anything about tall forward Harry Dear from the Crows? Can't get a game behind all their tall forwards.

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/harry-dear

GVGjr
22-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Anyone know anything about tall forward Harry Dear from the Crows? Can't get a game behind all their tall forwards.

He's had a very poor year in the SANFL. He's even been tried in defense but hasn't performed this season

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Would he just re-sign himself?

I was wondering who did do the negotiations with Jmac that Jmac would normally carry out with anyone else at the club? Chris Grant maybe? El presidente Gordon?

He's had a very poor year in the SANFL. He's even been tried in defense but hasn't performed this season

Is he Greg Dear's son? was he highly touted as a junior?

GVGjr
22-08-2017, 10:58 PM
I

Is he Greg Dear's son? was he highly touted as a junior?

I think he is Paul Dears son. Decent junior that was always going to take a couple of years to develop. He just hasn't had a good season

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 02:46 AM
I think he is Paul Dears son. Decent junior that was always going to take a couple of years to develop. He just hasn't had a good season

I still haven't forgiven Dear for what he did to Peter Foster in 1992.

KT31
23-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Fit right in then.

G-Mo77
23-08-2017, 01:50 PM
I still haven't forgiven Dear for what he did to Peter Foster in 1992.

I'd forgotten who did it but still feel pissy about it. If that is his son he is not welcome :)

Happy Days
23-08-2017, 03:05 PM
One outside of the box; Jack Lonie from St Kilda?

Isn't in their 22 at the minute and don't think he'd cost a heap, but fills a role that we're in sore need of (small forward) and is a fantastic tackler and pressure act player at his best. Has some tricks too. He's a tiny dude, but I don't think it would be a bad fit for team balance, as we aren't going to see him and Daniel (and to a lesser extent Dahlhaus) on the same line.

I'd prefer him to Matera. Not sure of his contract status though.

Mofra
23-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Dan Menzel from Geelong?

No contract offer at this stage, potential UFA so no trade required.

bornadog
23-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Dan Menzel from Geelong?

No contract offer at this stage, potential UFA so no trade required.

Provides Zero forward pressure.

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 03:23 PM
I'd forgotten who did it but still feel pissy about it. If that is his son he is not welcome :)

It says right there in the bible that the sins of the fathers will be revisited upon the sons.:D

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Yeah, not real keen either.

jeemak
23-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Isn't in their 22 at the minute and don't think he'd cost a heap, but fills a role that we're in sore need of (small forward) and is a fantastic tackler and pressure act player at his best. Has some tricks too. He's a tiny dude, but I don't think it would be a bad fit for team balance, as we aren't going to see him and Daniel (and to a lesser extent Dahlhaus) on the same line.

He and I are members at the same golf club. I've played with him once, he seems like a good young fella who is realistic about his game and progress as an AFL player to date.

From what I've seen we could certainly use his pace, not sure of his finishing skills and polish.

bornadog
23-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Is anyone keen on Mark Blicavs as a second ruck/forward? ( Apologies if he has been mentioned previously. )

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Is anyone keen on Mark Blicavs as a second ruck/forward? ( Apologies if he has been mentioned previously. )

GVGjr very keen

Axe Man
23-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Not a bad suggestion for a possible bargain basement pickup. I would suggest Matera would be fair bit more talented though but would cost more accordingly. Lonie is uncontracted and probably a potential delisting candidate.

Someone like him or a Papley type from a state league for a rookie or final list spot could be worth considering.

Axe Man
23-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Can he play forward though? Has kicked 34 goals in 106 games.

He was most effective as a tall midfielder that could go third man up, but that party is over.

GVGjr
23-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Just a bit of trivia, I think many thought we were going to draft Jayden Foster but then it was reported that we were interested in Harry Dear. The footy world can be quite small

GVGjr
23-08-2017, 06:01 PM

GVGjr very keen

Yes, I think he can play as a midfielder and as a ruckman. Perhaps he could also be used as a tall defender.

always right
23-08-2017, 06:52 PM

One of a handful of players I can't stand and don't rate. Right up there with Baguely from Essendon. Likes to niggle but at his size it is laughable. No from me.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Anyone who suffered through my top 20 post in his draft year would recall I rated him highly. Has a few tricks and could be a good option for us with more class than we hold in that position. Would probably mean the end of HC.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Anyone who suffered through my top 20 post in his draft year would recall I rated him highly. Has a few tricks and could be a good option for us with more class than we hold in that position. Would probably mean the end of HC.

Highly? You had him at 1 didn't you... :D

Every time I see him play, I think of you. I haven't heard that much love for a player since that bloke on here who was talking up Jarrad Grant all the time.

bornadog
23-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Every time I see him play, I think of you. I haven't heard that a much love since that bloke on here talking up Jarrad Grant.

https://pics.me.me/what-you-talkin-bout-willis-memegeneraterne-4325969.png

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 07:37 PM
https://pics.me.me/what-you-talkin-bout-willis-memegeneraterne-4325969.png

I'm still learning how to put words together. Thank you for correcting my English. Merry New Year.

bornadog
23-08-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm still learning how to put words together. Thank you for correcting my English. Merry New Year.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pKEufUXBqsLi8/giphy.gif

Go_Dogs
23-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Every time I see him play, I think of you. I haven't heard that much love for a player since that bloke on here who was talking up Jarrad Grant all the time.

Haha, not quite. He caught my eye more than Cordy did throughout the finals, so shows how little I know - in fact, I've probably just talked myself out of it...!

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Haha, not quite. He caught my eye more than Cordy did throughout the finals, so shows how little I know - in fact, I've probably just talked myself out of it...!

There's a few at St Kilda. I like Hugh Goddard a fair bit.

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Can he play forward though? Has kicked 34 goals in 106 games.

He was most effective as a tall midfielder that could go third man up, but that party is over.

It was a great party though.

Just a bit of trivia, I think many thought we were going to draft Jayden Foster but then it was reported that we were interested in Harry Dear. The footy world can be quite small

You're right! Very small.

azabob
23-08-2017, 08:56 PM

Menzel is a yes from me.

40 goals is 40 goals

Sedat
23-08-2017, 09:13 PM
There's a few at St Kilda. I like Hugh Goddard a fair bit.
Doesn't finger-point anywhere near enough for a Goddard

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Doesn't finger-point anywhere near enough for a Goddard

That's exactly why I like him.

The Doctor
24-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Dogs into Schoenmakers according to this report

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorns-ryan-schoenmakers-tipped-to-join-exodus-to-bulldogs/news-story/1ba5d40660e947d23b0812949d1c4d0d

comrade
24-08-2017, 07:27 AM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/media-watch-western-bulldogs-interested-in-ryan-schoenmakers-geelong-targeting-trio/news-story/05d86073247bf6bc87277dd636a0da42

Yay!

The Pie Man
24-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Schoenmakers?

Clearly plan B, but I reckon there's more pros than cons (flexibility, familiar with Bevo structures)

We were keen in his draft year IIRC

KT31
24-08-2017, 09:14 AM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorns-ryan-schoenmakers-tipped-to-join-exodus-to-bulldogs/news-story/1ba5d40660e947d23b0812949d1c4d0d

Rather take a kid in the Draft.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Rather take a kid in the Draft.

Yeah, he certainly hasn't impressed. He has his moments, but he is very inconsistent.

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 09:38 AM
God no

Sedat
24-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Yay!
I'd rather coax Spangher out of retirement :D

SlimPickens
24-08-2017, 09:44 AM

free agent so wouldn't cost a pick. Has some merit

Ozza
24-08-2017, 09:49 AM
free agent so wouldn't cost a pick. Has some merit

Prefer we steer clear of any more players that Bevo has coached in his previous life!!!

SlimPickens
24-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Prefer we steer clear of any more players that Bevo has coached in his previous life!!!

what would that make it and grand total of 3?

Ozza
24-08-2017, 09:54 AM
what would that make it and grand total of 3?

Having a bit of fun Slim. The two he has brought over haven't been my all time favourites to have on the list. And Schoey is another who stinks of 'pulling your hair out'.

Axe Man
24-08-2017, 09:55 AM
I reckon Suckling would be all for recruiting Schoenmakers to take some of the whipping boy heat off himself!

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 10:02 AM
I get him bring a free agent is good from a cost perspective. But from a talent and consistency of form perspective, this isn't going to make the best 22 stronger. Which for me is the question I ask myself about trade rumours. When Rocco starts the Round 1 2018 team thread, I'm confident most if not all of us would not have Schoenmakers in it.

Ozza
24-08-2017, 10:11 AM
I get him bring a free agent is good from a cost perspective. But from a talent and consistency of form perspective, this isn't going to make the best 22 stronger. Which for me is the question I ask myself about trade rumours. When Rocco starts the Round 1 2018 team thread, I'm confident most if not all of us would not have Schoenmakers in it.

I agree. It is all good and well to theoretically have 'depth' - but I think we already have good depth players, so I would now be more inclined to say that if they don't make the best 22 better, then head to the draft.

Ozza

I agree. It is all good and well to theoretically have 'depth' - but I think we already have good depth players, so I would now be more inclined to say that if they don't make the best 22 better, then head to the draft.

bornadog

Apparently, he has a contract in front of him from the Hawks for 1 year but is looking for a longer period.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Greg Denham reporting Dogs heavily into Mason Cox.

Schoenmakers & Cox.

I may as well find a new sport to follow if this is true.

Topdog
24-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Thankfully Greg Denom is rarely correct

chef
24-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Schoenmakers & Cox.

Haha. From Kelly and Lever to Cox and Shoenmakers. FML.

Twodogs
24-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Yep.

Happy Days
24-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Greg Denham

Can stop reading here. Another sad pathetic loser trotted out by SEN to read Big Footy over the airwaves.

Axe Man
24-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Schoenmakers & Cox.

Maybe we can coax Zac Dawson out of retirement as well?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Can stop reading here. Another sad pathetic loser trotted out by SEN to read Big Footy over the airwaves.

How he even has a job is astounding.

Twodogs
24-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Maybe we can coax Zac Dawson out of retirement as well?

That's quite a scary thought when you stop laughing.

Bulldog4life
24-08-2017, 12:35 PM
All media speculation. Take it with a grain of salt

comrade
24-08-2017, 01:36 PM

Agreed!

Rocket Science
24-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Well if nothing else that clearly confirms Jason McCartney's already vacated his position.

Let's avoid barrel-scrapers please in favour of the draft.

anfo27
24-08-2017, 05:11 PM

If Bevo wants him then its good enough for me. Even if Bevo thought it was a good idea to dig up EJ and get him on the field Weekend At Bernie's style, i'd still back bevo in. Been a tough year no doubt but i haven't lost faith in our genius coach.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2017, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't completely be against Schoenmakers.

No star - obviously - but he could fill a role given we have very few genuine forwards on our entire list and there's a strong chance both Crameri and Cloke will be gone.

always right
24-08-2017, 06:47 PM

No star - obviously - but he could fill a role given we have very few genuine forwards on our entire list and there's a strong chance both Crameri and Cloke will be gone.
He's not even a genuine forward Hawthorn. What makes you think he will be different at WB?

GVGjr
24-08-2017, 06:57 PM

He's no sure thing but my biggest knock on him is that he can't quite time his contested marks attempts. Just seems to lose things when the ball is in the air. I don't quite see the attraction.

I also hope we keep both Crameri and Cloke

kruder
24-08-2017, 08:15 PM
So could be no Redpath, Cloke and Crameri next year, our list is seriously lacking forward options thats for sure. Been finding it amusing people considering getting rid of Stringer I guess thats why people call it the silly season.

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 08:37 PM
My god replace Cloke and Crameri with Schoenmakers ( came up schmackos on my spellcheck) I'd rather a packet of schmackos in the forward line

G-Mo77
24-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Nathan Brown would have been a perfect fit in 2017 and most scoffed at his name in the off season. We need KPP depth, we'll have list spots available. Why not?

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 09:34 PM
You have to have a specific match up for Brown as he's running on train tracks these days .

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 09:35 PM
So could be no Redpath, Cloke and Crameri next year, our list is seriously lacking forward options thats for sure. Been finding it amusing people considering getting rid of Stringer I guess thats why people call it the silly season.

There's no way know Stringer will get traded. I think Cloke and Crameri are gone, and just got a feeling Travis might retire .

Twodogs
24-08-2017, 11:29 PM

Let's hope we don't go too silly.

aker39
25-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Cloke is contracted for 2018.

Twodogs
25-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Cloke is contracted for 2018.

There is talk of retirement. I don't know that I've heard Trav say it though.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2017, 09:34 AM
He's no sure thing but my biggest knock on him is that he can't quite time his contested marks attempts. Just seems to lose things when the ball is in the air. I don't quite see the attraction.

I also hope we keep both Crameri and Cloke

Agreed - he occasionally plucks some strong marks but he's probably similar to Stringer and Crameri in that regard.

I think he's more of a leading forward who plays closer to goal.

The reality is we wouldn't be getting him with an intention of getting 40 goals out of him. We have a severe lack of depth, particularly in the forward half and it's been proven you need role players. We forget he is a Premiership player, meaning that he was able to fulfil a role for one of the best sides of the modern era.

He does have some flexibility in that he can go down back - not the greatest defender, but he would have got plenty of games with us this season given our injuries.

IIRC he's a free agent so we wouldn't need to cough up anything. He's 26 with good skills, there's definitely merit in entertaining the idea.

As for Cloke, I think he should retire. Played well v Port but not in the way a key forward should/typically does and he's not going to have many games where he's roving packs to kick goals. He's barely taken a mark all year.

Crameri is an interesting one. Originally I was surprised at the talk of letting him go, but 2 years out of the game is a long time and there have been questions over his application.

Ozza
25-08-2017, 09:45 AM
If Bevo wants him then its good enough for me. Even if Bevo thought it was a good idea to dig up EJ and get him on the field Weekend At Bernie's style, i'd still back bevo in. Been a tough year no doubt but i haven't lost faith in our genius coach.

Who said anything about losing faith in the coach?

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Nathan Brown would have been a perfect fit in 2017 and most scoffed at his name in the off season. We need KPP depth, we'll have list spots available. Why not?

Nathan Brown would not have been a perfect fit in 2017, unless we were actually planning on coming 9-12th. He's one of the least versatile talls in the game today; look at his "defence" on Stringer in the game we shredded them in.

Schoenmakers is terrible and has been terrible for nearly a decade. WHY ARE WE STILL DOING THIS TO OURSELVES.

Remi Moses
25-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Dylan Roberton out of contract at St comedy club , any interest?

G-Mo77
25-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Nathan Brown would not have been a perfect fit in 2017, unless we were actually planning on coming 9-12th. He's one of the least versatile talls in the game today; look at his "defence" on Stringer in the game we shredded them in.

Schoenmakers is terrible and has been terrible for nearly a decade. WHY ARE WE STILL DOING THIS TO OURSELVES.

Why play him on Stringer in the first place? That's on their coach if that happened.

9th or 12th? We're there now so I don't get your point.

I would have loved to have a big bodied defender on Patton and Dixon in the last couple of weeks. Brown would have fit in nicely because of our injuries and probably played more than Cloke did for us.

Schoenmakers is not going to bullet us back into the top 8 but he'll add some much needed depth. We drafted far to raw last season instead of bolstering what we already had. We lost our depth in the process and lost our way. He'll come for free and is cheap, at the expense of who? If it doesn't work out then we throw him back in the pond.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Let's remember Brown is only 195cm tall. He wouldn't be able to go with the big key forwards such as Daniher and Dixon for height anyway.

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Why play him on Stringer in the first place? That's on their coach if that happened.

I would have loved to have a big bodied defender on Patton and Dixon in the last couple of weeks. Brown would have fit in nicely because of our injuries and probably played more than Cloke did for us.

Schoenmakers is not going to bullet us back into the top 8 but he'll add some much needed depth. We drafted far to raw last season instead of bolstering what we already had. We lost our depth in the process and lost our way. He'll come for free and is cheap, at the expense of who? If it doesn't work out then we throw him back in the pond.

My point is I don't rate these guys and we shouldn't pick them up, because it's just stocking the list with guys who at best can get us to where we finish when we perform far below expectations. It's pretty much our list management strategy from 1955-2014 and it has long proven to get you nowhere.

Is Schoenmakers any different to Roberts? Is Brown? It's a waste of time, and if this is what we've allegedly abandoned pursuit of Lever for then it's bitterly disappointing.

G-Mo77
25-08-2017, 02:18 PM
C'mon. You seriously think we're saying no to Lever because Scoenmakers is available?

G-Mo77
25-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Let's remember Brown is only 195cm tall. He wouldn't be able to go with the big key forwards such as Daniher and Dixon for height anyway.

Strong as a bull though.

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 02:32 PM
C'mon. You seriously think we're saying no to Lever because Scoenmakers is available?

No; we've said that we've pulled our offer to Lever because it was delaying our list management strategy. If this is the list management strategy then it's dumbfounding.

jeemak
25-08-2017, 02:47 PM
No; we've said that we've pulled our offer to Lever because it was delaying our list management strategy. If this is the list management strategy then it's dumbfounding.

Did we confirm we've pulled out of the Lever race?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Media said so, that we pulled our offer. Later that day, Brian Taylor (known family for a long time) said he didn't believe that the dogs were out of it. .???.?.

bornadog
25-08-2017, 03:03 PM

The media did, so it must be right. :D

G-Mo77
25-08-2017, 03:26 PM

OK so we wait for Lever until the 11th hr and watch him go somewhere else leaving us with tally whacker in hand. That worked out great for us last year.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2017, 03:30 PM

It's a supporters myth that you can only trade for high end talent.

As you pointed out, we need depth - we lost much of it last season.

Was Minson, Hamling, Hrovat or Stevens the difference between a flag and missing finals? Obviously not - but all fulfilled crucial roles at different times due to form of others and injuries around them. When we were battered in the last quarter of the season, Hrovat had a decent contribution.

This year - those four are gone and they've been replaced with kids (English, Lipinski now) or more out of form players (How many times has Smith been in and out this year? Sadly we haven't had many other options).

We are desperate for some more depth and Shoenmakers would provide that whilst costing us nothing in terms of a trade. These are exactly the types of list changes we need to look at.

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 03:34 PM
OK so we wait for Lever until the 11th hr and watch him go somewhere else leaving us with tally whacker in hand. That worked out great for us last year.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that these players are not worth pulling out for, and we should look elsewhere.

Depth is only relevant if the depth is any good.

jeemak
25-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Media said so, that we pulled our offer. Later that day, Brian Taylor (known family for a long time) said he didn't believe that the dogs were out of it. .???.?.

The media did, so it must be right. :D

I thought we were told we were out of the running, with BT later that day denying that's the case.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 09:41 PM
A mature Key Position Defender of some quality please.

As well as a first ruck. A couple of polished mids. A genuine quick small forward.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Most likely pick 8, 26 & 40.

Trade hard JMac. There's gaps to fill and we need quality.

LostDoggy
25-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Tally whacker?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that these players are not worth pulling out for, and we should look elsewhere.
Depth is only relevant if the depth is any good.
These players arent worth pulling out for?

Hmmmm

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Most likely pick 8, 26 & 40.

Trade hard JMac. There's gaps to fill and we need quality.

Short of Kelly or Lever, I really hope we don't trade pick 8. That's a hell of a piece to piss away.

Twodogs
25-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Tally whacker?

His manhood I think.

chef
26-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Short of Kelly or Lever, I really hope we don't trade pick 8. That's a hell of a piece to piss away.

With the way we draft hope we keep all our picks. 3 in the top 40 is a great position.

ledge
26-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Can someone jog my memory and tell me one player who has lived up to his expectation that we have traded from another club?
Boyd hasn't yet, Cloke hasn't, Crameri didn't, maybe Biggs.
We haven't been good at getting a big name player and he performed for us.
Our own drafting has been exceptional.
Maybe we should just go with that unless we can get Lever.
Let's face it our age demographic means we are after players in their prime that clubs won't let go. Especially the standard we are chasing.

comrade
26-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Can someone jog my memory and tell me one player who has lived up to his expectation that we have traded from another club?
Let's face it our age demographic means we are after players in their prime that clubs won't let go. Especially the standard we are chasing.

Biggs definitely has, given we got him for peanuts and he was an important premiership player.

If we're being positive, Suckling has probably met expectations (not mine but others would argue the point).

But overall, our trading over the past 3-4 years has been pretty average - in terms of who we've brought in and who we've lost (and the ridiculously low value we've received in return).

JMac in general deserves credit for locking in our list but his wheeling and dealing with other clubs has left a lot to be desired, IMO.

ledge
26-08-2017, 11:13 AM
No good recruiting players if the player coming in isn't better than the one going out.
Retirement excluded in this years case ..
Be an interesting off season, usually clubs turf players in the next week.

kruder
26-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Just judging by Bevos comments I reckon Cloke will retire.

azabob
26-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Apparently Shoenmakers has signed a 1 year deal with Hawthorn.

GVGjr
26-08-2017, 03:17 PM

I was hoping we wouldn't get him

comrade
26-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Awesome.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Great news. Maybe he saw our ball movement and went, 'nah Box Hill is better than that'.

Remi Moses
26-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Thank god for that

bornadog
26-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Where was that reported Aza? I know he has had a 1 year contract in front of him. If he has put pen to paper that is good news for us.

Rocket Science
26-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Ain't going to happen but I'd cough up some primo assets if we could coax Ben Brown across from Norf.

Maybe he's gutful of losing.

GVGjr
26-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Where was that reported Aza? I know he has had a 1 year contract in front of him. If he has put pen to paper that is good news for us.

It's in todays Hun

bornadog
26-08-2017, 06:22 PM
It's in todays Hun

ok, thanks

bornadog
26-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Ain't going to happen but I'd cough up some primo assets if we could coax Ben Brown across from Norf.

Contracted till end of 2018

always right
26-08-2017, 06:47 PM
We finally catch a break. Mind you, I am concerned if it is true we were interested in him. I don't get it.

Happy Days
26-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Think it would be hard to pry Brown from North. No other club gives him the chance to get home 3 times a year.

Sedat
26-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Think it would be hard to pry Brown from North. No other club gives him the chance to get home 3 times a year.

Might not be as hard if all their salary cap is sucked into Martin. I'd be making more than polite enquiries to Brown's management if Martin chooses Norf.

hujsh
26-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Yes he did. Then he was suspended and injured

ledge
26-08-2017, 08:40 PM

To a certain extent yes but for the reasons you just mentioned he hasn't been able to get on the park for us for two years.
I feel for him and he might not even get a gig for us next year.
The bombers have finished off a lot of careers early, it disgusts me.

Topdog
26-08-2017, 09:29 PM

In a 4 year contract he has performed for 1 year. Thats a failure of a trade

Twodogs
26-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Hamling was a material part of the flag win and most of the finals run. He has been a real loss, he would have been more than handy this year.

hujsh
27-08-2017, 01:10 AM

He performed 14 and 15.16 was the result of the gamble we took knowing his history with the bombers and a year long injury is just bad luck. When he's played he's been good.

The only real part of the trade you'd question is trading for a player dealing with the drug scandal at Essendon. However I'd still say he met expectations as we knew he'd likely miss time though suspension.

Remi Moses
27-08-2017, 09:17 AM

You'd have to concede there's been extenuating circumstances though . Pretty good in 15 under Bevo.

SlimPickens
27-08-2017, 09:26 AM
You'd have to concede there's been extenuating circumstances though . Pretty good in 15 under Bevo.

Agree his first 2 years at the club were fine. The last 2 have been ruined, I hope we keep Crameri. Guys who can kick a goal are exactly what we need.

GVGjr
27-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Agree his first 2 years at the club were fine. The last 2 have been ruined, I hope we keep Crameri. Guys who can kick a goal are exactly what we need.

If he is somewhat flexible with his financial requirements I think we should keep him.

ledge
27-08-2017, 10:54 AM
If he is somewhat flexible with his financial requirements I think we should keep him.

In my opinion he hasn't got much to bargain with, nearly 2 years out of football.
I think he will have to settle with just getting another contract in AFL football, don't think any teams will be after him.

azabob
27-08-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure he'd have much leverage in the way of length & $$.

I hope he can get his body back into the condition which allows him to be the link between deep forward and wing.

bornadog
27-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Kicked 37 goals and 32 goals in first two years, I think we did well with getting him to the club.

He needs a big preseason to get his body back into shape and he will be dangerous up forward. For mine keep.

hujsh
27-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Kicked 37 goals and 32 goals in first two years, I think we did well with getting him to the club.

He needs a big preseason to get his body back into shape and he will be dangerous up forward. For mine keep.

Yeah 37 in a poor team and 32 after missing the start of the year were good results IMO.

Dry Rot
27-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Was at the SCG yesterday. Buddy show was huge, highlighting Liam Jones' exquisite skills.

But I was watching Cazboult, who may be leaving Carlton.

He is shit - immobile, no second efforts, useless in the ruck. Do not want.

always right
27-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Considering we don't look like attracting anyone significant in the trade, I reckon we keep Crameri. It's not as if we have lots of great forward options.

Sedat
27-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Was But I was watching Cazboult, who may be leaving Carlton.

Yep, his only trick is contested marking. Too many holes in the rest of his game.

chef
27-08-2017, 07:50 PM
If only Tom Boyd had Casboults hands.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2017, 07:50 PM
So picks 9, 27 & 40

Looking at Richmond, they did really well last year by being brave with trading. Bringing in Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis to address needs, and letting a long club servant go to make it happen (Lids) and Vickery..

Two young good users and a good first ruck. I could live with that this year, with a KPD.

ratsmac
27-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Do you think the reason Crameri hasn't been offered a contract yet is because he came back from his suspension in ordinary shape and with a hip problem? Did he know he had a dodgy hip that could of been sorted out while suspended? I just find it a bit strange that he hasn't even been offered at least 1 year at this point of time.

macca
27-08-2017, 08:25 PM
So picks 9, 27 & 40

Looking at Richmond, they did really well last year by being brave with trading. Bringing in Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis to address needs, and letting a long club servant go to make it happen (Lids) and Vickery..

Two young good users and a good first ruck. I could live with that this year, with a KPD.They also picked up Townsend who kicked 5 today and 6 last week. Incredible pick up

Twodogs
27-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Was at the SCG yesterday. Buddy show was huge, highlighting Liam Jones' exquisite skills.

But I was watching Cazboult, who may be leaving Carlton.

With you on all of that. Except being at the SCG.

The Buddy show must have been a highlight for a neutral. I loved the inadvertent goal off the back of the foot while he was facing away from goal. The ball bounced on its end, tapped the back of Buddy's and rolled through all without Buddy realising. You know you're having a day out when that happens.

boydogs
27-08-2017, 10:41 PM
I could live with that this year, with a KPD.

How many KPD's and how many KPF's would you say we have on the list?

Dry Rot
27-08-2017, 11:41 PM
With you on all of that. Except being at the SCG.

The Buddy show must have been a highlight for a neutral. I loved the inadvertent goal off the back of the foot while he was facing away from goal. The ball bounced on its end, tapped the back of Buddy's and rolled through all without Buddy realising. You know you're having a day out when that happens.

Yeah, the Buddy show was excellent, especially that goal. Buddy was pissing himself.

I've seen a lot of Buddy up here, and Jones's efforts on him were the worst I have ever seen. Interesting that they kept Weitering away from him.

It was odd seeing Gibbs in the jumper #4 with a Bont style man bun - looked like a poor man's dwarf Bont.

Remi Moses
28-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Just shows that champion data shouldn't be noticed sometimes . They had Jones as the best defender in the comp last week !
Laughable

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Just shows that champion data shouldn't be noticed sometimes . They had Jones as the best defender in the comp last week !
Laughable

Jones will never be able to shutdown big defenders. As we knew all too well he's just too weak. Especially in the core. He might be making a decent 2nd defender up for himself but otherwise he's being severely overrated.

Dry Rot
28-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Most of Jones's problems with Buddy were not strength related - more positioning and reading the play. Mostly he was nowhere near Buddy.

Sedat
28-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Most of Jones's problems with Buddy were not strength related - more positioning and reading the play. Mostly he was nowhere near Buddy.
Reckon Bolton was already in 2018 mode with Jones by not protecting him at all with any 3rd man up double teaming to see how he would fare one-out against Buddy. It didn't end well but I think the idea was right by Bolton - you need your defenders to be able to defend one-on-one at times and not rely on team defence and zoning all the time.

Twodogs
28-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Was that more Buddy's talent than Jone's lack of talent do you reckon? Would Buddy have kicked goals on anyone on the weekend I guess is my question.

Dry Rot
29-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Was that more Buddy's talent than Jone's lack of talent do you reckon? Would Buddy have kicked goals on anyone on the weekend I guess is my question.

No doubt Buddy was on and got good delivery, but Jones always seemed to be a few steps behind him and there was rarely a genuine contest.

Happy Days
29-08-2017, 12:59 PM
It was pointed out several times on the telecast that Jones was too content to play from in front; works if you're trying to primarily intercept, but when tasked with stopping someone (especially Buddy) it's probably more suitable to play like a traditional one-on-one defender. When Buddy had about 6 goals and Jones started doing this, he was badly shown up.

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 02:58 PM
No doubt Buddy was on and got good delivery, but Jones always seemed to be a few steps behind him and there was rarely a genuine contest.

It was pointed out several times on the telecast that Jones was too content to play from in front; works if you're trying to primarily intercept, but when tasked with stopping someone (especially Buddy) it's probably more suitable to play like a traditional one-on-one defender. When Buddy had about 6 goals and Jones started doing this, he was badly shown up.

I think you need a defender who can stand shoulder to shoulder with Buddy and keep an arm across him in marking contests. You can't start from behind him because he will just run faster than you to the contest and you can't start from in front of him because you can't see him and if you can't see Buddy then you're in trouble.

G-Mo77
29-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Ok so who will be the first reporter to say we're linked to Lachie Hansen.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 03:51 PM

What's his vibe been, poor form or injury?

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Annual tradition. We get linked to lachie every year.

Axe Man
29-08-2017, 04:31 PM

If no other options materialise could he be an upgrade on Roberts and a stop gap defender to take the gorillas until Collins and Young are ready? Will come for free.

Rebuild forces big Roo out after 11 years (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/rebuild-forces-big-roo-out-after-11-years)

NORTH Melbourne's list rebuild has claimed another senior player with Lachlan Hansen told he won't be offered a contract for 2018.

Hansen, who turned 29 two weeks ago, has fallen from favour over the past two seasons after establishing himself as one of the AFL's best intercept marks from 2013-15.

And with the Kangaroos keen to continue the development of young key defenders Daniel Nielson, Sam Durdin and Ben McKay, the club announced on Tuesday Hansen's career at Arden St was over.

Hansen's exit follows the departures of Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Daniel Wells at the end of last season.

Fellow veterans Jarrad Waite, Scott Thompson (restricted free agent) and Sam Gibson are also set to come out of contract at the end of October, with their futures yet to be determined.

The No.3 pick in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, Hansen played the best football of his career after settling in defence early in 2013.

At 197cm, Hansen was given a licence to fly for his marks and used it to full effect, frequently zoning off his man to short-circuit opposition attacks.

In 2013, Hansen averaged 7.8 marks a game (fifth in the AFL among players who played more than one game) and was equal 15th in the competition for total contested marks (33), as he recorded his sole top-10 finish (eighth) in North's best and fairest award.

He was equal fourth in the AFL for average marks in 2014 (7.3 a game), while he was third at North for contested marks (21) that year and fifth in 2015 (21).

Hansen played most of his junior football defence, but was thrown from one end of the ground in the first half of his career.

The former Gippsland Power player was highly effective in attack, particularly in the second half of 2010 when Drew Petrie was injured and as part of a three-pronged attack with Petrie and Robbie Tarrant in 2012 that helped carry North into the finals for the first time in four years.

North coach Brad Scott lauded Hansen's contribution to the club over 11 seasons and 151 games.

"Lachy quickly forged a reputation as an excellent intercept mark in the AFL and formed a solid backline alongside the likes of Robbie Tarrant, Michael Firrito and Scott Thompson," Scott said on Tuesday.

"Lachy has been a delight to coach and has been one of the most dynamic, versatile players in the league. His ability to play forward or back for us was a tremendous asset to the team.

"He'll be sorely missed around the club and was one of those unique characters. His ability to keep morale up, during this year in particular, was first class."

Ahead of his 150th game in round 13 this year, Hansen said the six finals he played were the highlights of his career, particularly the 2015 elimination final win over Richmond.

"At the start of that game, they (the Tiger fans) were so loud doing their theme song," Hansen said.

"Then they kicked the first couple and I thought, ‘Oh, no', but then we got composed and after half-time it was so fun.

"The feeling after that game was unbelievable because I didn't get to play in the year before against Essendon and Geelong."

A run of niggling injuries and concussions, and indifferent form, limited Hansen to just five senior games last season.

He returned to play this season's first 12 matches, but was dropped after an error-strewn performance in his 150th game, against St Kilda in round 13, and did not return until last Saturday's win over the Brisbane Lions.

The Pie Man
29-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Knew this would already be here. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Hansen wouldn't be a bad/cheap stop gap for 2 years.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Knew this would already be here. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Hansen wouldn't be a bad/cheap stop gap for 2 years.

He's only played 151 games, he's probably capable of a few years but you wouldn't offer more than two - if you were to offer him anything at all.

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 05:30 PM
He's just a warm body in defense really isn't he? Not great, not terrible is my impression.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Already have Roberts.

Pass.

Happy Days
29-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Can't sign him to a contract if he can't legibly sign his own name. Pass.

lemmon
29-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Doesn't he play the spare man role? We need someone to lock down on the bigger guys, don't think he's that.

Remi Moses
29-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Hansen is injury prone and slow .

always right
30-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Stefan Martin rumoured to want a return to Melbourne. We've been interested previously. Do we still want him and what would you give up? Reckon we wouldn't be the only club interested.

Grantysghost
30-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Stefan Martin rumoured to want a return to Melbourne. We've been interested previously. Do we still want him and what would you give up? Reckon we wouldn't be the only club interested. At 31 could be risky, but he's still performing so I'd certainly take him on for a couple of years whilst English is finding his feet.

Twodogs
30-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Stefan Martin rumoured to want a return to Melbourne. We've been interested previously. Do we still want him and what would you give up? Reckon we wouldn't be the only club interested.

A latish draft pick maybe. Would Brisbane even be retaining him if he weren't contracted? A ruckman who can take overhead marks would be a novel experiment for us.

Rocket Science
30-08-2017, 05:27 PM
If they're open to Honeychurch or Campbell with a swap of minor picks I'd grab Martin for a couple of years if for no other reason than to spare Bont & Jongy risking life and limb in the ruck.

Martin's a late bloomer who played minimal footy earlier in his career so you'd suggest durability in his favour.

Happy Days
30-08-2017, 05:31 PM
He regressed a bit this year, but he's still miles better than what we have. He seems like the sort of ruckman that Bevo would really value, and he's a massive body to have around the ball. No way he doesn't make us better.

If we could get him for HC that's an enormous win.

Grantysghost
30-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Re Stef Martin, not going to improve our goal kicking directly. 1 this season, 39 career. Not why we'd get him though obviously.

LostDoggy
30-08-2017, 06:02 PM
I like the Stefan Martin talk. Played all 22 games last year and 62 of a possible 66 the past 3 years. We could so use a durable Ruckman. Although he is 30, he played sparingly in his early years so could have a Ben Hudson like career. 2-3 good years from him while English develops would be spot on.

Would come a lot cheaper these days. Talk seems to be around Pies interest in Crameri and Lions interest in Mason Cox so a 3 way trade with some latish picks exchanged could be a possibility.

Topdog
30-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Like Martin a lot would be very happy to get him in

GVGjr
30-08-2017, 06:35 PM
If they're open to Honeychurch or Campbell with a swap of minor picks I'd grab Martin for a couple of years if for no other reason than to spare Bont & Jongy risking life and limb in the ruck.

Martin's a late bloomer who played minimal footy earlier in his career so you'd suggest durability in his favour.

What role would Roughead play in we were to land Martin?

Happy Days
30-08-2017, 06:41 PM

If I'm being honest, twos ruckman. Roughy was extremely lucky to survive the axe at several stages this year, and it had to be at least in part due to there being no one capable of taking his place.

1eyedog
30-08-2017, 06:52 PM

CHF for Footscray

bulldogtragic
30-08-2017, 06:56 PM
If I'm being honest, twos ruckman. Roughy was extremely lucky to survive the axe at several stages this year, and it had to be at least in part due to there being no one capable of taking his place.

Roughies like a few. His best is best 22. But if he's off just say 5% from his very best, he's not a great ruck, a great defender or great forward. You'd hope if a Martin or Kruezer came in and took the first ruck spot, maybe the pressure of competition might push Roughie into being 100% as much as his body lets him be.

But as years of our posts in The Ruck Me thread attest, no ones had a *!*!*!*!ing clue what we've doing or where we've been looking to address it. A good mature ruck might be the long overdue attention to the position we've been wanting, and not a pick 11 for Lobbe from type deal...

boydogs
30-08-2017, 07:06 PM
I would trade Roughead for Martin

Rocket Science
30-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Have an enormous soft spot for Roughie and his best (a la 2016) is eminently good enough but he's another (and we have a few in this boat) who's been persisted with while underperforming because competition's so thin for his role and we currently have so few alternatives.

Factor in concerns relating to durability, how him going down disrupts us structurally and lack of positional flexibility and he's got a truckload of work to do (again, not alone) expecting the selectors to maintain the faith.

He's heart and soul but like anyone else has to earn his spot, demonstrate consistency and make us better.

josie
30-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Well said Rocket.

kruder
30-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Mckenna from the dons is out of contract I see, we sure could use his speed and kicking ability. Anyone got a feel for his defensive ability?

ledge
31-08-2017, 04:05 AM
We might have to change this post heading soon .. Apparently Jmac is being pursued by the pies as we are in dispute about his contract renewal.

1eyedog
31-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Why is it that we still bleed talent yet sweet FA come back the other way.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Why is it that we still bleed talent yet sweet FA come back the other way.

I was thinking the exact thing yesterday. Winning a premiership hasn't even helped.

bornadog
31-08-2017, 09:05 AM
We might have to change this post heading soon .. Apparently Jmac is being pursued by the pies as we are in dispute about his contract renewal.

The trouble is they will throw big dollars to entice him.

Webby
31-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I was thinking the exact thing yesterday. Winning a premiership hasn't even helped.

If clubs with pockets as deep as Collingwood want one of our admin staff, they'll get them. That's just the way it is.

We just have to have continual succession plans and keep on working at being cleverer than the rest. If I had a choice of losing either of Dalrymple or McCartney, I'd be focused squarely on keeping Dalrymple.

And, btw, is our list really that well managed? Our drafting has been extremely good and our coaching has been great despite structural deficiencies. However how well have we really traded for, traded out, and retained key players??

Is our list management honestly our differentiating strength??

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2017, 10:05 AM
If class bs with pockets as deep as Collingwood want one of our admin staff, they'll get them. That's just the way it is.

We just have to have continual succession plans and keep on working at being cleverer than the rest. If I had a choice of losing either of Dalrymple or McCartney, I'd be focused squarely on keeping Dalrymple.

And, btw, is our list really that well managed? Our drafting has been extremely good and our coaching has been great despite structural deficiencies. However how well have we really traded for, traded out, and retained key players??

Is our life st management honestly our differentiating strength??

I would say retention has been good thus far. The rest hasn't been any better than average though

comrade
31-08-2017, 10:26 AM
JMac has been solid at locking guys in, which deserves credit.

He seems to lack some creativity when trading out fringe guys like Stevens and Hrovat, which have basically ended up as net losses or at best break evens when future picks are taking into considering vs the output they will provide the new club.

He also hasn't been able to entice any big name player, which may mean we've over paid our current players leaving too little for big recruiting deals.

Mofra
31-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Chasing Lobbe for pick 11 suggests we aren't better than average traders.

Crameri for pick 26 (Zac Merrett).
The Biggs trade was rolled gold a downgrade from pick 37 to 39.
Hamling as a DFA was great.
We overpaid for Boyd but it worked in our favour last year, he may not hit those heights again.
Cloke cost little so it's just a pass.

We've missed out on a few too (Hurley the big one) and I don't think we'll land Lever.
I'd be happy if we somehow get Stef Martin for not much (sweetener after we lose Crameri) and take our remaining picks to the draft.
There doesn't seem to be that much unsigned talent available this year, Dusty and Kelly aside (I'm guessing they both stay).

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2017, 10:30 AM
JMac has been solid at locking guys in, which deserves credit.

He seems to lack some creativity when trading out fringe guys like Stevens and Hrovat, which have basically ended up as net losses or at best break evens when future picks are taking into considering vs the output they will provide the new club.

He also hasn't been able to entice any big name player, which may mean we've over paid our current players leaving too little for big recruiting deals.

The last point is the unknown. The offers being thrown around for Kelly and Martin are starting to make Boyd's deal look average, which we all expected. However we're going to have to offer Bont a similar amount to Kelly Martin type deals. We have a lot of talent on our list and if it gets back to the 2016 intensity levels we won't have too much need for big name recruits but more solid B graders to fill the holes. It all depends on if you apply a 2017 or 2016 lens to our current list. 2018 might provide the answer.

bornadog
31-08-2017, 11:04 AM
I And, btw, is our list really that well managed? Our drafting has been extremely good and our coaching has been great despite structural deficiencies. However how well have we really traded for, traded out, and retained key players??

JMac has been fantastic at managing our list and has done very well in retaining the important players.

We haven't lost any guns and were unlucky with losing Hamling. Hamling with his indigenous background and ties wanted to go back to WA to be with his father and family and made that known half way during the season. As for Stevens and Hrovat, we got what they were worth in the market. Both have been average at best this year and are not a loss at all.

Who else have we lost that is a key player???

Trading in, well that is a difficult area and you have to give up something pretty good to get someone good. How many teams trade and get absolute guns without throwing a million plus for them (per year). We sneered the number one draft pick off GWS and he helped us win a premiership and he is still only 22 years old and 200cm plus - can play. We gave a few others a red hot go and it didn't work, but at least we went for them.

I think some posters are underselling JMac and I believe he is a must keep.

Topdog
31-08-2017, 11:08 AM
JMac has been fantastic at managing our list and has done very well in retaining the important players.

We haven't lost any guns

I honestly dont think we can say that yet. I think we will have to judge that in 2 years when our guns are actually guns and not just young, extremely promising players.

Sedat
31-08-2017, 11:59 AM
If JMac goes, I'd love us to look at Matt Rendell as a potential replacement for list manager. Not sure of his contract status but he has a long body of quality work in the recruitment/list management space.

bornadog
31-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I honestly dont think we can say that yet. I think we will have to judge that in 2 years when our guns are actually guns and not just young, extremely promising players.

Either way, we have not lost any key players that are potential guns.:D

chef
31-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Either way, we have not lost any key players that are potential guns.:D

Hamling?

bornadog
31-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Hamling?

You didn't read my previous post.

Remi Moses
31-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I don't quite know what posters thought we'd get for fringe players like Hrovat and Stevens .
The days of bending teams over and having a deal weighed in your teams favour, are long gone .
It's better to have good relations with clubs in case you do have a potential go home factor in our favour .
Sydney are a prime example, is in they gladly trade a player for opportunity at another club.

GVGjr
31-08-2017, 03:15 PM
If JMac goes, I'd love us to look at Matt Rendell as a potential replacement for list manager. Not sure of his contract status but he has a long body of quality work in the recruitment/list management space.

I had a chat to him on Saturday at the TAC game (Dragons vs Stringrays) and I concur he would be a great addition to the club. I also think he could be a huge benefit in areas other than just list management.

Twodogs
31-08-2017, 03:23 PM

I had a chat to him on Saturday at the TAC game (Dragons vs Stringrays) and I concur he would be a great addition to the club. I also think he could be a huge benefit in areas other than just list management.

Is/has Rendell been working in the football industry recently? He left Port under a cloud after making some ill advised comments he'd probably like to take back I remember but I'm not sure what he's done since.

Axe Man
31-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Is/has Rendell been working in the football industry recently? He left Port under a cloud after making some ill advised comments he'd probably like to take back I remember but I'm not sure what he's done since.

Rendell has a recruiting role at Collingwood and it was the Crows that he left after some controversy.

Topdog
31-08-2017, 03:51 PM

Honestly that was the biggest witch hunt. He was absolutely thrown under the bus for no reason by Mifsud.

ledge
31-08-2017, 03:54 PM
If Jmac is having contract issues with us , who's doing his job while this is happening ?

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-08-2017, 04:14 PM

We haven't lost any guns and were unlucky with losing Hamling. Hamling with his indigenous background and ties wanted to go back to WA to be with his father and family and made that known half way during the season. As for Stevens and Hrovat, we got what they were worth in the market. Both have been average at best this year and are not a loss at all.

Who else have we lost that is a key player???

Trading in, well that is a difficult area and you have to give up something pretty good to get someone good. How many teams trade and get absolute guns without throwing a million plus for them (per year). We sneered the number one draft pick off GWS and he helped us win a premiership and he is still only 22 years old and 200cm plus - can play. We gave a few others a red hot go and it didn't work, but at least we went for them.

I think some posters are underselling JMac and I believe he is a must keep.

We are very fortunate to have both JMac and Dalyrmple in key football roles.

Axe Man
31-08-2017, 04:21 PM
If Jmac is having contract issues with us , who's doing his job while this is happening ?

He's contracted until the end of November so I would expect he is doing his own job whether he ends up leaving or not.

bornadog
31-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Rendell has a recruiting role at Collingwood and it was the Crows that he left after some controversy.

According to Grant Thomas he was spruiking Rendell and saying someone should pick him up in an assistant coaching role.

Note: just looked up Collingwood's site (washed hands afterwards :D )

Matthew Rendell - Senior National Recruiting Assistant

kruder
31-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Could see this one coming I'd be concern if anyone at the bulldogs couldn't.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Webb has supposedly re-signed for 2 years. Just rumour at this stage but keep a look out

Twodogs
31-08-2017, 07:34 PM

That's right, he coached Port didn't he?

Honestly that was the biggest witch hunt. He was absolutely thrown under the bus for no reason by Mifsud.

Mifsud was new to his job and was looking to assert himself probably. The politics they practice at the AFL are brutal.

G-Mo77
31-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Webb has supposedly re-signed for 2 years. Just rumour at this stage but keep a look out

Happy with that. He should see an expanded role. Good kid!

jeemak
31-08-2017, 08:42 PM
That's right, he coached Port didn't he?

Mifsud was new to his job and was looking to assert himself probably. The politics they practice at the AFL are brutal.

I don't think he's ever been anything other than an assistant coach.

Rendell was of the opinion at the time the AFL was not an appropriate environment for many young indigenous kids to thrive within. From memory he paraphrased his broader thoughts and suggested clubs might take the decision to not recruit players who are raised solely in indigenous families, and Misfud heard the comments second hand, possibly third. Rendell late said he was playing devil's advocate.

Rendell was naive to the political realities of his situation, Misfud really took the opportunity to make a name for himself through sacrificing Rendell.

LostDoggy
31-08-2017, 09:23 PM

Pass!

Twodogs
31-08-2017, 09:27 PM
I don't think he's ever been anything other than an assistant coach.

Rendell was of the opinion at the time the AFL was not an appropriate environment for many young indigenous kids to thrive within. From memory he paraphrased his broader thoughts and suggested clubs might take the decision to not recruit players who are raised solely in indigenous families, and Misfud heard the comments second hand, possibly third. Rendell late said he was playing devil's advocate.

Rendell was naive to the political realities of his situation, Misfud really took the opportunity to make a name for himself through sacrificing Rendell.

That's how I read it too. I was sure that Matt Rendell stood in as an AFL coach after a mid season resignation but there's nothing on his Wikipedia page.

Remi Moses
31-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Pass!

Why ?

KT31
31-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Pass!

I for one think he has something to offer.