PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have JMac target this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Webby
01-09-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm pleased that Shoenmakers has resigned for Hawthorn. Wasn't feeling it for him.

However Martin really does seem like a good move. I've always thought he could play, he wants to come, he's the right age to give us cover for English's development, we need cover in his position and, as he simply wants to come home, he shouldn't cost us overs.

It's a good, smart, conservative bit of business.

Mantis
01-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Happy with that. He should see an expanded role. Good kid!

In what type of role?

Twodogs
01-09-2017, 09:54 AM
I don't think he's ever been anything other than an assistant coach.

Rendell was of the opinion at the time the AFL was not an appropriate environment for many young indigenous kids to thrive within. From memory he paraphrased his broader thoughts and suggested clubs might take the decision to not recruit players who are raised solely in indigenous families, and Misfud heard the comments second hand, possibly third. Rendell late said he was playing devil's advocate.

Rendell was naive to the political realities of his situation, Misfud really took the opportunity to make a name for himself through sacrificing Rendell.

Thinking it through and I think I'm conflating Matthew Primus and Matthew Rendell.

Both Matthews, both Ruckmen, both played at Fitzroy and both ended up in Adeliade at about the same time.

The Doctor
01-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Where is the Webb re-signing news from?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Where is the Webb re-signing news from?

Just rumour at the moment. Not confirmed.

G-Mo77
01-09-2017, 11:12 AM
In what type of role?

Considering Boyd and Murph retired I could see him playing some HB. They played close to 30 games between them so there is that void to fill, Williams still has yet to really wow me and IMO is just not there yet and of course there is Suckling who I think we're on the same page with.

So if Webb has signed on for a further 2 you'd think his role would increase significantly.

Mantis
01-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Considering Boyd and Murph retired I could see him playing some HB. They played close to 30 games between them so there is that void to fill, Williams still has yet to really wow me and IMO is just not there yet and of course there is Suckling who I think we're on the same page with.

So if Webb has signed on for a further 2 you'd think his role would increase significantly.

Can the kid defend?

Maybe they have trained him away from a HB role because he is no good at it?? He was quite pathetic against Brisbane when playing at HB before being omitted, 3 kicks and got badly out-pointed by Bastinac in 2 x 1-1 contests late in the game.

Suckling has serious faults, and I would prefer others if we had them, but is so far ahead of Webb in a HB role it isn't funny.

Remi Moses
01-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Thinking it through and I think I'm conflating Matthew Primus and Matthew Rendell.

Both Matthews, both Ruckmen, both played at Fitzroy and both ended up in Adeliade at about the same time.

I think Matt Rendall would have been a better coach .

always right
01-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Can the kid defend?

Maybe they have trained him away from a HB role because he is no good at it?? He was quite pathetic against Brisbane when playing at HB before being omitted, 3 kicks and got badly out-pointed by Bastinac in 2 x 1-1 contests late in the game.

Suckling has serious faults, and I would prefer others if we had them, but is so far ahead of Webb in a HB role it isn't funny.
He showed plenty off half back earlier in his career but the MC for whatever reason decided they wanted him to spend time midfield to improve his contested game.

I'm pretty confident he can return to defence and do well......in time. Not prepared to write someone off after one game against Brisbane where he was thrown into defence after Wood was injured.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Can the kid defend?

Agreed.

That game v Brisbane, Webb was pathetic - as harsh as it is to say. It was disappointing given his contributions in the week prior v Essendon, but I suppose it's worth cutting him some slack given he hasn't played half back for 2+ years.

I think it's almost safe to say that Webb cannot translate his VFL midfield game to the AFL. Will he in 1, 2, 3 years time? Hard to say, but the 2 year experiment of him playing midfield hasn't worked.

Almost at the stage where, if he stays, Webb needs to be re-trained as a half back as it's most likely his best chance at making it at AFL level. Thought he did show some solid signs in his first year across half back, and whilst we'd love to see him become a good midfielder given his consistently strong VFL performances, I think we need to pull the plug on this experiment for 2018 at least.

If Webb can nail a spot at half back it probably allows us to play JJ higher up the ground at times. Still - Lukas' lack of pace and strength could be exploited at half back. The upside is that we should be able to get the ball into his hands far more often and we know he's a beautiful kick.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2017, 01:44 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/dogs-early-frontrunners-to-lure-port-utility-home

Im ok for the right price

Happy Days
01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/dogs-early-frontrunners-to-lure-port-utility-home

I'm not. What exactly does he offer that Roughead doesn't?

Think he's a very limited footballer who is too short to ruck and too slow to defend.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Think he's a very limited footballer who is too short to ruck and too slow to defend.

He's a competent defender for one. He can play on the monster forwards. We don't have anyone who can play that role right now. Adams is injury prone and Roberts has regressed. He's also too weak.

Axe Man
01-09-2017, 02:00 PM

You rate Roughy higher than I do. For mine he's a better defender and forward than Roughy and not far off him in the ruck (although he would likely only be a relief ruck at most anyway).

Twodogs
01-09-2017, 02:02 PM

Me too. Quality, durable depth. He's not going to be a star or win games of football of his own boot. But he's the sort of player and employee every list needs.

KT31
01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Me too, he knows how to defend and can pinch hit in the ruck or forward if need be, only 26 years old so still plenty of footy left in him.

Mofra
01-09-2017, 02:15 PM
I'm liking the Trengove move. He's performed pretty well across his career, I see him more as a defender who can pinch hit forward and ruck rather than anything else.
His B&F finishes interest me, and he was in the leadership group wasn't he?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Agreed. I've been pretty vocal in my opinion of Trengove.

I guess the only 'positive' from my perspective would be that we don't have to cough anything up in terms of a trade and he provides depth to which we lack.

Topdog
01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
For me Trengove is better than Roberts and well ahead of Collins at the moment. Seems a no brainer.

I think sometimes fans get lost trying to get a perfect player and forget that you need role players who do their role well.

Hamling being a perfect example.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
For me Trengove is better than Roberts and well ahead of Collins at the moment. Seems a no brainer.

I think sometimes fans get lost trying to get a perfect player and forget that you need role players who do their role well.

Assuming we are interested in Trengove, it says to me that the club really doesn't rate Collins.

That deal of trading 11 for Dunkley and Collins isn't looking great in hindsight when you consider we could have taken Curnow.

Bulldog4life
01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Assuming we are interested in Trengove, it says to me that the club really doesn't rate Collins.

That deal of trading 11 for Dunkley and Collins isn't looking great in hindsight when you consider we could have taken Curnow.

Collins is still a teenager. Much too early to tell if he will be a good player for us. Has improved this year too.

Mantis
01-09-2017, 02:54 PM

So what role does Roberts fulfill if Trengove comes on board? Boot-studder?

The decision to re-sign Roberts mid year is seeming crazier by the day.

GVGjr
01-09-2017, 09:43 PM

I think he is a better defender and forward than Roughead and like Roughead he is a good leader around a club.

He's no star but would be very much a structure player for us hopefully meaning we could have Boyd spending more time as our key forward.

Twodogs
01-09-2017, 10:17 PM
I think he is a better defender and forward than Roughead and like Roughead he is a good leader around a club.

He's no star but would be very much a structure player for us hopefully meaning we could have Boyd spending more time as our key forward.

I think he can relieve Boyd of a lot of his tasks allowing him to spend more time forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2017, 10:31 PM
So what role does Roberts fulfill if Trengove comes on board? Boot-studder?

The decision to re-sign Roberts mid year is seeming crazier by the day.

I'm not sure of that. Depth at key positions isn't something we've been renowned for. It might make a pleasant change having both players to call on in defense, putting pressure on an otherwise quite young and inexperienced group. Adams isn't the most durable, Collins has played 1 game, Young half a dozen. Take into account form fluctuations with those guys and all of a sudden it's not so crazy having a 50 plus game Premiership defender pushing for selection.

Remi Moses
01-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Bit early to make a call on Collins. Reckon he's getting a good grounding at the lower level .
Bigs can sometimes take time , and supporters need to exude more patience.

boydogs
02-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Webb has supposedly re-signed for 2 years. Just rumour at this stage but keep a look out

Called it, well done

Bulldog4life
02-09-2017, 09:46 AM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/waldron-pies-blew-lever-chance/

GVGjr
02-09-2017, 10:02 AM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/waldron-pies-blew-lever-chance/

I think we are still behind one other club but we are in with a chance

Bulldog4life
02-09-2017, 10:05 AM

I like that the club is pro active. If we miss out we miss out. But we seem to be giving it a good hot go. That is all a supporter can wish for.

anfo27
02-09-2017, 10:08 AM
What about Scott Thompson from North. Out of contract & has been a good player for them for a long time & would fill a hole for us. Have to say though, i can't stand him.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2017, 10:33 AM
What about Scott Thompson from North. Out of contract & has been a good player for them for a long time & would fill a hole for us. Have to say though, i can't stand him.

I could never support him. In fact I'd like Cordy to punch him in the head in every pack mark situation.

anfo27
02-09-2017, 10:39 AM
I could never support him. In fact I'd like Cordy to punch him in the head in every pack mark situation.

I do feel the same BT but i felt that way about Barry Hall as well. Anyone that decks Chris Grant is not someone i ever want at my club but once he wore the tri colours i had to support him.

comrade
02-09-2017, 11:53 AM

No. No way. Not ever. No.

always right
02-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Scott Thompson is a shadow of his best from several years ago.

And he's a knob.

Twodogs
02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't take Scott Thompson because he is a shitruck and always has been.

But saying I wouldn't want such and such playing for my team because I don't like him or he upset me at some stage or he tries to hard to win for his team seems plain silly to me.

KT31
02-09-2017, 01:57 PM

And its Melbourne for @#$% sake, how can anyone find them more appealing over us ?

comrade
02-09-2017, 02:21 PM
And its Melbourne for @#$% sake, how can anyone find them more appealing over us ?

I know, seems ridiculous. They've been able to attract some good players recently (Hibberd, Lewis, Melksham to a lesser extent) while we continue to struggle. Who wouldn't want to play under Bevo?

Doc26
02-09-2017, 02:47 PM
I know, seems ridiculous. They've been able to attract some good players recently (Hibberd, Lewis, Melksham to a lesser extent) while we continue to struggle. Who wouldn't want to play under Bevo?

Maybe those that aren't a new age type. With that said I'm not sure behind closed doors what style Goodwin brings. We do know that Macca can bring a hard edge approach.

bornadog
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM

Chris Dawes :D

jeemak
02-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Melbourne are clearly about to explode after their 11 year rebuild.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2017, 04:19 PM

A player who prefers playing at the MCG rather than Etihad regularly.

Twodogs
02-09-2017, 05:05 PM
A player who prefers playing at the MCG rather than Etihad regularly.

That's a large part of it. Don't overlook how much playing in front of a huge crowd at the MCG (even Melbourne get big crowds-queens birthday, etc. out of ski season sometimes) can influence a players thinking.

Doesn't matter we will just catch and develop our own. Last year's batch of draftees look to be better prospects than 99% of players you would typically draft in anyway. Would any club in its right mind trade a prospect like Lewis Young for the pick we got him for? Or Patrick Lipenski? And we get to school them our way from year one.

kruder
02-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Trengove reportedly wanting 2.2m over 4 years,that's a massive risk for a player who finished the year in the reserves. I don't see us winning the flag next year with the demographic we have so I see no point paying massive overs unless the player is a best 22 lock. One things for sure there are many tall players in the AFL that get overs. I'd offer max 3 year deal 1.3 mill take it or leave it.

GVGjr
02-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Trengove reportedly wanting 2.2m over 4 years,that's a massive risk for a player who finished the year in the reserves. I don't see us winning the flag next year with the demographic we have so I see no point paying massive overs unless the player is a best 22 lock. One things for sure there are many tall players in the AFL that get overs. I'd offer max 3 year deal 1.3 mill take it or leave it.

It's a really interesting point you raise and one I've been leaning towards. Unless the club strongly believes it can bounce back into serious contention soon then trading for high profile players or even chasing restricted free agents too aggressively probably isn't worth it and we would be better copping our whack for another season or two.

Still 2M over 4 years isn't that much nowadays. If we chase both him and Martin it would signal to me that the club is serious about it's chances next season

Twodogs
02-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Without being delusional about it we have to believe we can bounce back. Surely if we plan and prepare to fail then we will fail.

jeemak
02-09-2017, 06:46 PM
I think $550K p.a. is probably around the mark for Trengove. Not sure about four years, but it's a sellers market out there - especially when it comes to tall players who can play a few different roles.

GVGjr
02-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Without being delusional about it we have to believe we can bounce back. Surely if we plan and prepare to fail then we will fail.

It comes down to the attitude of the playing group. If there is genuine hunger to get back to a level we are more than capable of then we should chase players to help that endeavor along. If we think there is going to be another year or two of resting on the premiership laurels then we need to be prepared to cop our whack again so chasing players probably isn't worth it.

We won two flags in 2016 and we put up a very shitty defense in 2017 and there has to be some reasons for that. If we are still comfortable enough with the 2016 flag and really don't quite have the hunger yet then we shouldn't chase players for 2018.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2017, 06:51 PM

He is currently on $600,000 a year.

boydogs
02-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Even under the new salary cap, $500k+ is silly for Trengove. Should be on Suckling wages, $1m over 3 plus 20% cap increase

kruder
02-09-2017, 08:56 PM
He is currently on $600,000 a year.

Yeah I know and is not getting a game. Its ridiculous to pay 600k for a player who may not be in your best 22 there is obviously serious question marks against him.

GVGjr
02-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Yeah I know and is not getting a game. Its ridiculous to pay 600k for a player who may not be in your best 22 there is obviously serious question marks against him.

In today's environment you pay significantly more for players without question marks

Rocket Science
03-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Speaking of question marks ...

In an alternate universe might the club entertain a pitch for Paddy McCartin?

I know. I know! But thinking out loud.

- We have an obvious need for talented natural forwards who can take a contested mark.
- His age fits our core.
- St.Kilda may be nearing wits end with him, with sapping patience and an eye on dwindling future returns. If they could flip him for something of value to them, would they listen?
- Some on our end might surmise he couldn't possibly endure more of the same wretched run he's had, surely. A new environment that diffuses the pressure of his draft position and swelling sense of disappointment might be good for him.

It'd be a breathtaking gamble of course. One I think carries far more risk than is sensible for any suitor. But would the club? And what would we be prepared to pay in return?

azabob
03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
My biggest concern with McCartin is his head knocks and ability to stay on the park.

Rocket Science
03-09-2017, 03:05 PM
My biggest concern with McCartin is his head knocks and ability to stay on the park.

No question, I'd be highly leery as well. But if the bulk of his bad luck's behind him and he can be grabbed at a reduced rate for a 1st overall pick, the potential rewards might be pretty attractive for a club like ours.

bornadog
03-09-2017, 03:26 PM
No question, I'd be highly leery as well. But if the bulk of his bad luck's behind him and he can be grabbed at a reduced rate for a 1st overall pick, the potential rewards might be pretty attractive for a club like ours.

Could he be switched to a CHB role?

Twodogs
03-09-2017, 03:57 PM

The head knocks are a big concern and I'm also concerned about his diabetes. I can't think of too many really great players who also suffered from diabetes, Dale Weightman being the only example I can think of although I'm sure there are others.

My point being diabetes is a chronic disease that can cause all sorts of allied health problems. And although we have made breakthroughs in testing and treatment and administration of insulin I'd still be wary.

PS, I don't mean to upset or demean anyone suffering from diabetes. It's a terrible illness that is rife through my own family.

Rocket Science
03-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Could he be switched to a CHB role?

That sounds just like something Bevo would do with a dedicated forward.

Interesting question. Perhaps, if he could build more aerobic capacity, but with his sticky hands, leading ability and forward craft I'd be loath to recruit a type we're crying out for only to chuck him down the other end of the park.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2017, 04:27 PM
The head knocks are a big concern and I'm also concerned about his diabetes. I can't think of too many really great players who also suffered from diabetes, Dale Weightman being the only example I can think of although I'm sure there are others.

My point being diabetes is a chronic disease that can cause all sorts of allied health problems. And although we have made breakthroughs in testing and treatment and administration of insulin I'd still be wary.

PS, I don't mean to upset or demean anyone suffering from diabetes. It's a terrible illness that is rife through my own family.

A health professional of mine had a son play all his juniors with Paddy was best friends with Paddy's parents. Now obviously she could not disclosure sensitive info, suffice to say his Diabetes is not even a remote concern for Paddy and playing football at any level. It's believed the it was started as a bad rumour at draft time to get him to slide past the first selection. But it didn't work.

With Riewoldt gone, surely he backs himself in to take that spot surely?

ledge
03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
A health professional of mine had a son play all his juniors with Paddy was best friends with Paddy's parents. Now obviously she could not disclosure sensitive info, suffice to say his Diabetes is not even a remote concern for Paddy and playing football at any level. It's believed the it was started as a bad rumour at draft time to get him to slide past the first selection. But it didn't work.

Sounds like he is extremely lazy then. Apart from the head knocks.

Avoid the rush
03-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Can't believe I am saying this let alone writing it but ........I have a real liking for big Cox! Yes that's right I reckon Mason Cox would be a great get for our club. (NO I did not mispell it) Imagine getting first use of the ball in the middle. Ah yes halcyon days indeed. Wynd Dempsey etc. (MEMORIES) Roughie could float around on big blokes, Toyd could play in the FORWARD line and when Cox was resting forward, imagine Tory Zarsoff, Bonty, Del, String at the drop. He has such a big upside as well and since 3rd man up was removed we have lacked badly in this department. Amongst my colleauges I am a man alone, but what do you guys think????

GVGjr
03-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Can't believe I am saying this let alone writing it but ........I have a real liking for big Cox! Yes that's right I reckon Mason Cox would be a great get for our club. (NO I did not mispell it) Imagine getting first use of the ball in the middle. Ah yes halcyon days indeed. Wynd Dempsey etc. (MEMORIES) Roughie could float around on big blokes, Toyd could play in the FORWARD line and when Cox was resting forward, imagine Tory Zarsoff, Bonty, Del, String at the drop. He has such a big upside as well and since 3rd man up was removed we have lacked badly in this department. Amongst my colleauges I am a man alone, but what do you guys think????

I think he might be someone we have an interest in. He's a bit better up forward than most ruckman but won't get the time he needs as a ruckman behind Grundy. He could possible form a decent combination with Boyd.

I'd need a little bit of convincing but it has some merit if we can't get Martin.

Topdog
03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
If Cox was Australian no one would know who he is. Rubbish.

always right
03-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Cox has just about the worst hands in the VFL.

Remi Moses
03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Cox is shocking when the ball hits the ground as well .

bulldogtragic
03-09-2017, 08:22 PM
If Cox was Australian no one would know who he is. Rubbish.

Cox has just about the worst hands in the VFL.

Cox is horrible when he doesn't have the ball too.

Twodogs
03-09-2017, 10:40 PM

I'm pleased to hear his diabetes isn't impacting on his game. For a lot of sportspeople it saps their energy with their sugar levels affected.

Yes, with velvet trousers gone there a spot to develop in.

Happy Days
04-09-2017, 12:53 AM
I reckon we get nickels on the dollar for Aaron Francis. Throw up a second pick and see what they say. There's not enough bust-trading in the AFL.

Twodogs
04-09-2017, 01:10 AM
Remind me, who's Aaron Francis play for?

Happy Days
04-09-2017, 02:10 AM
Remind me, who's Aaron Francis play for?

The Drug Cheats

Happy Days
04-09-2017, 02:13 AM
We have no TV at my new flat, so we're only watching DVDs; I'm complaining about a lack of big bodies inside the midfield, but this dude in the #46 in our elimination final looks pretty promising.

hujsh
04-09-2017, 02:32 AM
I reckon we get nickels on the dollar for Aaron Francis. Throw up a second pick and see what they say. There's not enough bust-trading in the AFL.

What makes a top 10 pick from 2 years ago so cheap? Is he that bad in the VFL? Seems a bit early for the cheats to be looking to cash out on a tall(ish?) player

kruder
04-09-2017, 10:54 AM
What makes a top 10 pick from 2 years ago so cheap? Is he that bad in the VFL? Seems a bit early for the cheats to be looking to cash out on a tall(ish?) player

Has a similar tank to Liam jones, is a natural footballer though.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Good suggestion - a real natural forward. Looks a genuine talent, but his tank must be pretty ordinary given the few games at senior level that he's played.

Seems unlikely that Essendope would trade him but we should be in his ear - particularly if he's uncontracted.

Mofra
04-09-2017, 11:58 AM
No tank, would blow up at AFL level.
Veszpremi syndrome.

kruder
04-09-2017, 12:14 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-04/home-time-for-schache-as-he-misses-gf

JOSH Schache will finish his season a week early after the Brisbane Lions granted him permission to skip Saturday's NEAFL Grand Final against the Sydney Swans.

Schache, 20, missed Saturday's preliminary final victory and then asked the club for the early finish to his year after a mentally draining season.

He will drive back to his home in Seymour in country Victoria early this week.

The Lions have been mindful of Schache's struggles this year, allowing him to return home mid-season during the height of speculation surrounding his future.

The young key forward returned to Brisbane and recommitted for a further two years and is happy with the club.

There is no suggestion he wants to leave.

After a strong first season, Schache has battled with form in 2017, playing 10 games and kicking nine goals at senior level, and being dropped to the reserves twice.

The Lions will play the Swans in the NEAFL decider at the SCG as a curtain-closer to the Swans-Bombers elimination final.

Strange for mine...

bornadog
04-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Strange for mine...

Some house keeping, you need to show the link to your quote. Cheers

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2017, 01:24 PM
JOSH Schache will finish his season a week early after the Brisbane Lions granted him permission to skip Saturday's NEAFL Grand Final against the Sydney Swans.

Schache, 20, missed Saturday's preliminary final victory and then asked the club for the early finish to his year after a mentally draining season.

He will drive back to his home in Seymour in country Victoria early this week.

The Lions have been mindful of Schache's struggles this year, allowing him to return home mid-season during the height of speculation surrounding his future.

The young key forward returned to Brisbane and recommitted for a further two years and is happy with the club.

There is no suggestion he wants to leave.

After a strong first season, Schache has battled with form in 2017, playing 10 games and kicking nine goals at senior level, and being dropped to the reserves twice.

The Lions will play the Swans in the NEAFL decider at the SCG as a curtain-closer to the Swans-Bombers elimination final.

Strange for mine...

It's interesting. I know its Brian Waldron but he did mention us and Schache last week. Brett Anderson (normally reliable and doesn't make up stuff) also said there's still a bit to play out with Schache. Probably nothing in it but we can always hope :D

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2017, 01:45 PM
It's interesting. I know its Brian Waldron but he did mention us and Schache last week. Brett Anderson (normally reliable and doesn't make up stuff) also said there's still a bit to play out with Schache. Probably nothing in it but we can always hope :D

Not to stir things up but did we cool on Lever because we got Schache to commit?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Not to stir things up but did we cool on Lever because we got Schache to commit?

Could be interesting going on the various/numerous rumour mills...

Dogs: Schache, Martin & Rockliff (FA), Pick 18 & 41
Lions: Pick 2 (FA), Pick 9 & 26 & 39, plus Crameri (plus any extra draft points we can acquire, or we'd lose the Pick 41)

Lions: Picks 1, 2, 9, 14, 26, 39 with Callenden an academy pick, plus Crameri (Honey or Hamilton if they wanted them)
Dogs: KPF, Ruck, classy midfielder - Pick 18 getting a solid defender or mid. Pick 41 then no picks inside 80 though. Rookie upgrades?

Trade period over.

kruder
04-09-2017, 01:59 PM

He is contracted the big question is what is he worth? Can he handle the pressure of a big move to a Melbourne club and the expectations that come with it?

kruder
04-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Could be interesting going on the rumour mills...

Dogs: Schache, Martin & Rockliff (FA), Pick 18 & 36.
Lions: Pick 2 (FA), Pick 9 & 26 & 39, plus Crameri

Lions: Pick 2, 9, 14, 26, 39 with Callenden an academy pick, plus Crameri (Honey or Hamilton if they wanted them)
Dogs: KPF, Ruck, classy midfielder - Pick 18 getting a solid defender or mid. Pick 36 then no picks inside 80 though.

Trade period over.

I need to digest that fair effort! Richmond were the front runners last year can they afford him now? The other thought I just had would be imagine the irony of Rockliff and Schache moving to the same club considering how outspoken Rockliff was against players wanting to go home. ha!

azabob
04-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Not a bad effort BT. You know my thoughts on trading early picks - I much prefer to hit the draft. But if we got pick in the top 20 in return that would be a good outcome.
Do you rate Schache?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Not a bad effort BT. You know my thoughts on trading early picks - I much prefer to hit the draft. But if we got pick in the top 20 in return that would be a good outcome.
Do you rate Schache?

My best guess is that he will come good. A politician's answer I know. From a far it looks a bit like the Cam McCarthy situation. So maybe near home and family, he can get back to doing what he's good at. I'd love to see him team with Tom Boyd, and even a year training/playing with a proven gun like Cloke might do wonders from him and his development.

Interesting that so many rumours so far involve Brisbane players.

Sedat
04-09-2017, 04:05 PM
My best guess is that he will come good. A politician's answer I know. From a far it looks a bit like the Cam McCarthy situation. So maybe near home and family, he can get back to doing what he's good at. I'd love to see him team with Tom Boyd, and even a year training/playing with a proven gun like Cloke might do wonders from him and his development.

Interesting that so many rumours so far involve Brisbane players.
If we do go after Schache, where does that leave Red? Or Tom Boyd? Let alone Cloke and Crameri. What about Adams and Roberts? Where does Roughy end up if we get Martin?

I'm worried that we are trading too tall and not focusing on an area of our list that is a little overrated and lacking depth in quality, namely our midfield.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2017, 04:08 PM
If we do go after Schache, where does that leave Red? Or Tom Boyd? Let alone Cloke and Crameri. What about Adams and Roberts? Where does Roughy end up if we get Martin?

I'm worried that we are trading too tall and not focusing on an area of our list that is a little overrated and lacking depth in quality, namely our midfield.

How do we get Josh Kelly?

I'd prefer to hit the draft with pick 9 so long as we are confident we can get what we want with that pick. I feel Stephenson, who is the type we need, will be gone by our pick.

LostDoggy
04-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Could explain why we haven't offered Crameri a contract as yet and Cloke speculation about retiring a year early.

Rockcliff at 800k a year just doesn't interest me in the slightest to be honest.

bornadog
04-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Rockcliff at 800k a year just doesn't interest me in the slightest to be honest.

I agree, we need some real pace in the midfield, some outside run, someone that can kick the ball.

Twodogs
04-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Could be interesting going on the various/numerous rumour mills...

Dogs: Schache, Martin & Rockliff (FA), Pick 18 & 41
Lions: Pick 2 (FA), Pick 9 & 26 & 39, plus Crameri (plus any extra draft points we can acquire, or we'd lose the Pick 41)

Lions: Picks 1, 2, 9, 14, 26, 39 with Callenden an academy pick, plus Crameri (Honey or Hamilton if they wanted them)
Dogs: KPF, Ruck, classy midfielder - Pick 18 getting a solid defender or mid. Pick 41 then no picks inside 80 though. Rookie upgrades?

Trade period over.

What out of that are we giving them? 9/26 and Crameri for Martin and Schashe and pick 18?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2017, 05:15 PM
What out of that are we giving them? 9/26 and Crameri for Martin and Schashe and pick 18?

I merged the rumours into a trade.

Crameri - Martin (through Collingwood with Cox) - A little under, but FA compo helps
Pick 9 - Schache - Same, a little under, but FA compo helps
Picks 26 & 39 - Pick 18 (good draft points trade for them with the kid Callenden)
(FA) Rockliff offered a deal to ensure they get pick 2 - Rockliff

Just put the rumours in a bowl, mixed, and tried to see what it looked like. We'd have pick 18 in this scenario still, so we could add that to a player or future second rounder and go for a midfielder.

Sedat, good point. Maybe it's time for some talls to go.

Cyberdoggie
04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
What about JMac himself being out of contract, I think that would be the number 1 signing now.

chef
04-09-2017, 06:16 PM
I think it's pretty obvious JMac is leaving.

always right
04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Don't get the fascination with Schache. Soft with zero aggression. If he wasn't a high draft pick no-one would ever raise his name.

GVGjr
04-09-2017, 07:11 PM

In my opinion we can't go for both Martin and Schache it has to be one or the other. We have other needs
I'd also think the AFL will be watching the Rockliff departure/destination closely and if there are any other trades with the Lions and the club Rockliff goes to that seems to have factored in the compensation pick then I think they could easily rule a line through it.

As much as they want Brisbane to become viable the won't stump up overly generous compensation picks if they think clubs are diddling it.

Avoid the rush
04-09-2017, 08:46 PM

So is Goldstein. So is Jacobs.

Remi Moses
04-09-2017, 08:51 PM

I'd think Goldstein and Jacobs have him covered

Twodogs
04-09-2017, 10:33 PM
I merged the rumours into a trade.

Crameri - Martin (through Collingwood with Cox) - A little under, but FA compo helps
Pick 9 - Schache - Same, a little under, but FA compo helps
Picks 26 & 39 - Pick 18 (good draft points trade for them with the kid Callenden)
(FA) Rockliff offered a deal to ensure they get pick 2 - Rockliff

Just put the rumours in a bowl, mixed, and tried to see what it looked like. We'd have pick 18 in this scenario still, so we could add that to a player or future second rounder and go for a midfielder.

Sedat, good point. Maybe it's time for some talls to go.

I don't think we should be assuming FA compo into a trade. Brisbane wouldn't be in it anyway. They'd be silly if they did. Rockliff will have to be a completely separately negotiated trade with no seeming nods or winks.

They might be interested in Crameri for Martin. That might work. I think we'd be doing well to get anything for Crammers but I constantly misread the trade market. I'm still a bit speechless that after having virtually no key defenders develop over the past 20 years we watch our premiership fullback go to another club and only got a third round pick in return. I know he's not David Dench but he's not Josh Thurgood either.

kruder
04-09-2017, 11:59 PM
I don't think we should be assuming FA compo into a trade. Brisbane wouldn't be in it anyway. They'd be silly if they did. Rockliff will have to be a completely separately negotiated trade with no seeming nods or winks.

They might be interested in Crameri for Martin. That might work. I think we'd be doing well to get anything for Crammers but I constantly misread the trade market. I'm still a bit speechless that after having virtually no key defenders develop over the past 20 years we watch our premiership fullback go to another club and only got a third round pick in return. I know he's not David Dench but he's not Josh Thurgood either.

Particularly if we are in for Trengove at 2.2 over 4!

LostDoggy
05-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Stevo mentioned on Talking Footy that Gaff may be gettable at seasons end.

Now that is someone I would be happy to spend some coin on. He fills a big need. Pace, endurance and skill.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Particularly if we are in for Trengove at 2.2 over 4!

Yeah, good point. I hadn't even taken the fact that it would effectively remove our ability to take a FA.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 08:50 AM

So is Ben Brown!

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 08:52 AM
So is Ben Brown!

How would we know? He never drops a mark.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 08:55 AM
How would we know? He never drops a mark.

He'd never get near it playing for us with our putrid delivery.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 10:43 AM
He'd never get near it playing for us with our putrid delivery.

So true.

The first time I saw Tom Boyd at training Libba and Wally were practising kicking the ball to him. After they had missed him by about 25 metres for the tenth time with a simple pass and Boyd yelled out "oh for *!*!*!*!'s sake." I remember thinking "he's going to earn those millions"

G-Mo77
05-09-2017, 10:59 AM
So true.

The first time I saw Tom Boyd at training Libba and Wally were practising kicking the ball to him. After they had missed him by about 25 metres for the tenth time with a simple pass and Boyd yelled out "oh for *!*!*!*!'s sake." I remember thinking "he's going to earn those millions"

I find Libba pretty precise with his kicking, not a spearing or penetrating kick but usually hits targets. Seems pretty reliable in front of goal as well.

The Underdog
05-09-2017, 12:25 PM
So true.

Or not

Mofra
05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Don't get the fascination with Schache. Soft with zero aggression. If he wasn't a high draft pick no-one would ever raise his name.
I'm not sold on Schache, but mostly because Dad Collins has him covered for pace and he seems more of a goalsquare player and we have those.
I'd rather a quicker leading player who can roam HF if need be.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm not sold on Schache, but mostly because Dad Collins has him covered for pace and he seems more of a goalsquare player and we have those.

Stew Crameri fits that bill

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Stew Crameri fits that bill

Why i'm confused why we haven't offered him a new deal. He seems to be what we need. Of course i don't know all the details but i'm still a little confused by it.

The Underdog
05-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I've seen nothing out of Schache at this point that would make me want to trade for him. Hipwood looks a thousand times better so far.

Axe Man
05-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Melbourne based clubs believe Josh Schache could request a trade out of Brisbane this year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/josh-schache-calls-early-end-to-brisbane-lions-season-skipping-neafl-grand-final/news-story/ec4f18cc1364b5a0360980fef7fa84d9)

MELBOURNE clubs believe Josh Schache is still gettable — despite the Brisbane Lion re-signing for two years just 12 weeks ago.

Schache, 20, will on Tuesday pack up his car and begin motoring from Brisbane to Seymour while his teammates prepare for the NEAFL grand final against Sydney’s reserves.

The No.2 draft pick was “rested” from Saturday’s preliminary final victory at the Gabba and he will not play in the premiership decider, to be contested at the SCG after Saturday’s AFL elimination final.

A host of Victorian clubs are on the hunt for key forwards like Schache.

Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs want more firepower while Hawthorn still needs a target after Ty Vickery’s disappointing season.

Richmond was the frontrunner for Schache before he recommitted to the Gabba as the Tigers search for a Jack Riewoldt co-pilot.

Carlton was also interested in Schache and with North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite a chance to retire, Schache could fit in at the cashed-up Kangas.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Melbourne based clubs believe Josh Schache could request a trade out of Brisbane this year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/josh-schache-calls-early-end-to-brisbane-lions-season-skipping-neafl-grand-final/news-story/ec4f18cc1364b5a0360980fef7fa84d9)

MELBOURNE clubs believe Josh Schache is still gettable — despite the Brisbane Lion re-signing for two years just 12 weeks ago.

Schache, 20, will on Tuesday pack up his car and begin motoring from Brisbane to Seymour while his teammates prepare for the NEAFL grand final against Sydney’s reserves.

The No.2 draft pick was “rested” from Saturday’s preliminary final victory at the Gabba and he will not play in the premiership decider, to be contested at the SCG after Saturday’s AFL elimination final.

A host of Victorian clubs are on the hunt for key forwards like Schache.

Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs want more firepower while Hawthorn still needs a target after Ty Vickery’s disappointing season.

Richmond was the frontrunner for Schache before he recommitted to the Gabba as the Tigers search for a Jack Riewoldt co-pilot.

Carlton was also interested in Schache and with North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite a chance to retire, Schache could fit in at the cashed-up Kangas.

More journalists reading forums

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 02:12 PM
More journalists reading forums

... "Hawthorn need a target". With what? Their first pick, pick 35?

Cyberdoggie
05-09-2017, 02:32 PM
... "Hawthorn need a target". With what? Their first pick, pick 35?

What's wrong with Ty Vickery? .....:)

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 02:37 PM

I'm not sure the website could handle all the data required to answer that question! :D

bornadog
05-09-2017, 03:10 PM

He is suspended again and will miss the VFL prelim

Remi Moses
05-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Not sold on Schache either, but you do wonder how much the go home factor affected his form .

Remi Moses
05-09-2017, 03:21 PM

I thought hawthorn get everything right ?

Remi Moses
05-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Gaff's an interesting one . You'd take him on games against us, but he does tend to go missing as well .
Be on big coin as well

Topdog
05-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Gaff's an interesting one . You'd take him on games against us, but he does tend to go missing as well .
Be on big coin as well

Averaged 30 a game this season and only dipped under 20 in 2 games.

My query on him is he supposed to be very good going into the F50 but even with Kennedy gets 0.6 goal assist a game which puts him outside the top 100 in the league.

Remi Moses
05-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Averaged 30 a game this season and only dipped under 20 in 2 games.

My query on him is he supposed to be very good going into the F50 but even with Kennedy gets 0.6 goal assist a game which puts him outside the top 100 in the league.

Gone missing when tagged . ( not alone there)

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 05:45 PM

So Bonts wouldn't get the best tagger. That's a net benefit to a acquiring a good midfielder.

Mofra
05-09-2017, 05:46 PM
How often would Gaff get tagged in our side though?

Bonti first, JJ copped a tag too and Macrae's been tagged at times as well.

Doc26
05-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Any update on where Jason McCartney's contract status is at?

This must be deemed a priority for the Club before we have him engaged in trade negotiations with other Clubs and managers at this pointy end.

Whilst I hope that we can re-contract him on favourable terms for us, if he is looking to move on we cannot have him overseeing or inputting into player movements or draft considerations.

Regardless of how he conducts himself professionally, the potential conflict is too significant.

ratsmac
05-09-2017, 08:00 PM
What about making a play for Jack Watts? He fell out of favour with the MC and played at Casey at times during the season. He does have a habit of going missing during games I know but I think he has plenty of upside. He has a good set of hands and he's a beautiful kick, something we could use more of. I'm purely spit balling here.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Not sold on Schache either, but you do wonder how much the go home factor affected his form .

He has terrific potential and I think we are once again writing off young tall forwards because they aren't plucking marks and kicking bags of goals in their first few years.

Rocket Science
05-09-2017, 08:09 PM
According to Mark Stevens we've all but agreed to terms with Jackson Trengove.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2017, 08:12 PM

Don't mind that.

Solid, mature player who can hold down a key defensive post for us.

Along with Boyd, Adams, Cordy, Young it will give us some flexibility, along with a more consistent structure and presence in the air at both ends.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 08:14 PM

If that is correct, it's helps us a bit with versatility.
Based on what I've read on here I'm not sure that will go down that well with most but I still think he's the right type for our group.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2017, 08:16 PM

If true it probably puts to rest the continuing rumours that we're not out of the race for Lever.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 08:19 PM
If true it probably puts to rest the continuing rumours that we're not out of the race for Lever.

I'm not so sure, we can't be 100% out of it.

Rocket Science
05-09-2017, 08:20 PM

It'd seem that way.

If true about Trengove I'd also hazard to guess that just about stamps Campbell's papers, and makes Roughy one nervous cat heading into 2018.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 08:24 PM
It'd seem that way.

If true about Trengove I'd also hazard to guess that just about stamps Campbell's papers, and makes Roughy one nervous cat heading into 2018.

And imagine if we land Stefan Martin which is also being touted as a possibility?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 08:30 PM
It'd seem that way.

Yep. Yep. &. Yep.

If Roughy had a team chasing him, I'd listen to offers.

Rocket Science
05-09-2017, 08:32 PM
And imagine if we land Stefan Martin which is also being touted as a possibility?

If Trengove's over the line though you'd reckon that's the end of entertaining Stef Martin though surely?

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 08:38 PM
If Trengove's over the line though you'd reckon that's the end of entertaining Stef Martin though surely?

At the moment if we assume Stevo is right I think Trengove will be seen as a defender first who might take a few turns in the ruck if injuries get in the way. I don't think he is a better ruckman than Roughead but there is still a question mark if we think Roughead can perform at a high enough level for next season.

Trengove coming in might help Roughead but if we also landed Stef Martin then Roughy might struggle to get a game

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2017, 08:42 PM
At the moment if we assume Stevo is right I think Trengove will be seen as a defender first who might take a few turns in the ruck if injuries get in the way. I don't think he is a better ruckman than Roughead but there is still a question mark if we think Roughead can perform at a high enough level for next season.

Trengove coming in might help Roughead but if we also landed Stef Martin then Roughy might struggle to get a game

So assuming all that what makes you think that Trengove's signing would not necessarily rule Lever's acquisition out?
Would not having Trengove, Morris, Adams, Cordy, Young, Fletcher and Collins see us adequately stocked down back?

ratsmac
05-09-2017, 08:43 PM

It might take a Roughead trade to actually land Stefan Martin.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 08:45 PM
So assuming all that what makes you think that Trengove's signing would not necessarily rule Lever's acquisition out?
Would not having Trengove, Morris, Adams, Cordy, Young, Fletcher and Collins see us adequately stocked down back?

Maybe Bevo is taking this '18 man defence' thing too far? Just 9 more to off if we include Roughy in it.

ledge
05-09-2017, 08:52 PM
I wonder what we are giving away or offering Trengrove ?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Free Agency money. Apparently he's on about $600,000 currently.

Doc26
05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Free Agency money. Apparently he's on about $600,000 currently.

Is Trengove unrestricted?

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I find Libba pretty precise with his kicking, not a spearing or penetrating kick but usually hits targets. Seems pretty reliable in front of goal as well.

Libba's really good but not this day and it's not like they were kicking it a long distance but they just missed time after time.

Where do you want me to start?

4 years.

ledge
05-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Libba's really good but not this day and it's not like they were kicking it a long distance but they just missed time after time.

Where do you want me to start?

4 years.

You seem to have a lot of info .. So we have offered 4 years (seems a bit long to me ) and the money is ? Do we need to give them a pick or player also ?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 09:24 PM
You seem to have a lot of info .. So we have offered 4 years (seems a bit long to me ) and the money is ? Do we need to give them a pick or player also ?

No. He's a free agent. Just money and years.

ledge
05-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Ok thanks

hujsh
05-09-2017, 10:00 PM

He's 26 IIRC so 4 is not bad if you're confident you won't want to delist him after 2 ala Jones. Is that where you're concern is? Whether he'll remain worth the list spot?

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Quick question apropos of nothing but has Trengrove ever been appointed Port's captain? As in for the season not just as a fill in for the injured skipper.

ledge
05-09-2017, 10:28 PM
He's 26 IIRC so 4 is not bad if you're confident you won't want to delist him after 2 ala Jones. Is that where you're concern is? Whether he'll remain worth the list spot?

Yeah 4 years seems a risk when he is playing reserves at port at 26 when he should be in his prime.

Doc26
05-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Quick question apropos of nothing but has Trengrove ever been appointed Port's captain? As in for the season not just as a fill in for the injured skipper.

No I don't believe so although has been on their Leadership Group for quite a number of years.

Whilst he's not an A grader he will offer KP flexibility, particularly in defence and in the ruck.
He should also bring some solid leadership and sounds like a solid citizen.

If it doesn't break the bank I don't mind it.

Rocket Science
05-09-2017, 10:31 PM

He's won a B&F with Port but never been skipper.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 10:40 PM
If memory serves me well, JMac was caught on TV watching a Port Adelaide game early this year. I wonder if that was this, and we've been into him for a long while this season.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 10:59 PM
If memory serves me well, JMac was caught on TV watching a Port Adelaide game early this year. I wonder if that was this, and we've been into him for a long while this season.

Yeah I think it was the port v hawks game. Which means this doesn't affect Lever

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 11:26 PM

If Trengove is all but signed then I think it's as a key back and yes it looks like we have enough but if Lever somehow puts us back into the mix we could play one of Adams, Young or Cordy forward.

It's interesting, 12 months back we potentially had Hurley (all but signed) Hamling, Adams, Cordy, Morris, Roberts and Collins emerging plus Wood who plays tall.

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 11:28 PM
No I don't believe so although has been on their Leadership Group for quite a number of years.

Whilst he's not an A grader he will offer KP flexibility, particularly in defence and in the ruck.

That's how I see him.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2017, 12:15 AM
I am happy with Trengrove too. Over the years he has played some very good games for Port. At only 26 years old he is in the right age bracket. I believe he is a restricted free agent so Port can match our offer if they want to

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 12:28 AM

He's won a B&F with Port but never been skipper.

Thanks boys.

KT31
06-09-2017, 12:30 AM
I am happy with Trengrove too. Over the years he has played some very good games for Port. At only 26 years old he is in the right age bracket. I believe he is a restricted free agent so Port can match our offer if they want to
Would seem unlikely as it looks like he is on the outer at Port.

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Port won't match 4 years.

Doc26
06-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Would seem unlikely as it looks like he is on the outer at Port.

Further word via Warren Tredrea this afternoon on the Trengove speculation to us.
This came before Mark Stevens sport segment on 7News tonight.

Triple M Adelaide (@TripleMAdelaide)
5/9/17, 5:06 pm
TREDREA: "It's fair to say, I don't think Jackson Trengove is here next year... The @westernbulldogs have tabled a massive deal" #RushHour

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 12:39 AM
What will Port get for compo? They might not want to match the offer.

ledge
06-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Further word via Warren Tredrea this afternoon on the Trengove speculation to us.

Massive ? Did he elaborate on the massive bit or was it just media blowing a story up as usual ?

Doc26
06-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Massive ? Did he elaborate on the massive bit or was it just media blowing a story up as usual ?

Ledge, I only received the Triple M Adelaide Tweet reference, so I've got no other details.

I'm assuming with Tredrea's long history at Port that he might have good intel there, so it's sounding on the money when cross referenced with Stevo.

Doc26
06-09-2017, 01:00 AM

It's a non disclosed AFL formula supposedly based on the new contract offer with the player's age.

It's supposedly not disclosed to avoid Club's rorting the offers.

With that said, Club's no doubt make a judgement call on the likely compensation band in determining whether to match the offer.

For Port I'd be guessing it's around an end of 2nd round selection (compo not offered above 3rd round I believe) but the assessment does not seem well defined (deliberately).

GVGjr
06-09-2017, 03:20 AM

2nd round pick I'd say.
Clubs don't normally match offers

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 05:13 AM
2nd round pick I'd say.
Clubs don't normally match offers

That's true. I'm having trouble thinking of the last matched offer.

Remi Moses
06-09-2017, 07:24 AM
He has terrific potential and I think we are once again writing off young tall forwards because they aren't plucking marks and kicking bags of goals in their first few years.

More about intent for me . Just haven't seen it yet, but it's early days

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Yeah i don't like the word massive. But we know how the media like to spin things out of proportion. I'm guessing it's in the 4 year 550-600k range

Ozza
06-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Yeah i don't like the word massive. But we know how the media like to spin things out of proportion. I'm guessing it's in the 4 year 550-600k range

Former players always add the superlatives when discussing contracts. Seems a natural reaction to playing in a previous era when the salaries were lower (and a top player at a club was around the 500-600 p.a mark).

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Former players always add the superlatives when discussing contracts. Seems a natural reaction to playing in a previous era when the salaries were lower (and a top player at a club was around the 500-600 p.a mark).

There's plenty of money in the footy pie for everyone. I'm sure that Tredrea is making a lot more money from footy right now than ex players made in his playing days.

Mofra
06-09-2017, 11:00 AM
That's true. I'm having trouble thinking of the last matched offer.
Crows would have matched the offer for Dangerfield which is why Geelong traded for him rather than just signed him - he was a RFA.

ledge
06-09-2017, 11:06 AM

It's all the media, even the dusty Money was exaggerated by 200,000 a year.
Barrett and Robbo are great at it to make the story sound bigger than it is.
Actually watch any news and they add a little cream to each story. Funniest one I ever heard was when a shark bit a man and they reported an "angry " shark attacked a swimmer . Seriously ? It was angry was it ? Did it grit it's teeth and say I'm angry ? All media is out of control with its reporting now.

Axe Man
06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Crows would have matched the offer for Dangerfield which is why Geelong traded for him rather than just signed him - he was a RFA.

There is the possibility that Port may want to bring in a free agent themselves, potentially Motlop or Rockliff, which would mean they would get no compensation for Trengove. Therefore they could match the offer and force us to trade.

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 02:56 PM
It's all the media, even the dusty Money was exaggerated by 200,000 a year.
Barrett and Robbo are great at it to make the story sound bigger than it is.
Actually watch any news and they add a little cream to each story. Funniest one I ever heard was when a shark bit a man and they reported an "angry " shark attacked a swimmer . Seriously ? It was angry was it ? Did it grit it's teeth and say I'm angry ? All media is out of control with its reporting now.

Heh! One of my favourites is "knowingly" being a member of a terrorist organisation. Really? Those blokes with the beards and AK-47s aren't actually the local Boy Scouts?

Happy Days
06-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Bartel said in the paper today that we should look at Jackson Thurlow.

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse with regard to Jacksons. Would be down to recruit ALL the Jacksons just for the Jackson 5 references, or to recruit a guy called Jackson to play full forward (so we could go "down to Jackson").

But seriously Thurlow sucks and we can't do this right?

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse with regard to Jacksons. Would be down to recruit ALL the Jacksons just for the Jackson 5 references, or to recruit a guy called Jackson to play full forward (so we could go "down to Jackson").

It's Goin' down ta Jackson, HD. Go ahead and wreck yourself! Go play your hand ya big talkin man.

Don't get me started on Lee Hazelwood. I love the man.

Jackson, Jackson, Jackson, yeah, yeah we go to Jackson.

ledge
06-09-2017, 05:21 PM

A retired player who has no allegiance to either team makes a statement like people do on Facebook and fans think it will happen or we are looking at it .. That's why the media loves having ex players making statements or get them to Say them, doesn't mean we are or have any interest in it at all.
What the media calls an opinion piece to cover their arse .

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 05:25 PM

I haven't seen much of him but Geelong rated him highly internally before he did his knee.

soupman
06-09-2017, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen much of him but Geelong rated him highly internally before he did his knee.

Yeah and we rated Prudden.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Unfair on Prudden with his injuries.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2017, 06:53 PM

So did Scotty Wynd. Wretched run with injuries for Josh.

soupman
06-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Unfair on Prudden with his injuries.

I'm saying that just like Thurlow, Prudden was rated highly internally before copping his knee injury that set him back. Hence why I quoted it.

Happy Days
06-09-2017, 07:46 PM

They must have rated him highly, they spent a first rounder on him. But his comeback from his injury has been wholly uninspiring, and he seemed to have lost the confidence (or maybe the ability) to make sound decisions on field. Geelong were crying out for a Corey Enright replacement, which he theoretically was, but his total lack of form has forced them into a paradigm shift, and being content with a David Johnson replacement in Bews (which says a whole lot).

Perfectly happy for him to be someone else's reclamation project.

Doc26
06-09-2017, 08:34 PM
A retired player who has no allegiance to either team makes a statement like people do on Facebook and fans think it will happen or we are looking at it .. That's why the media loves having ex players making statements or get them to Say them, doesn't mean we are or have any interest in it at all.
What the media calls an opinion piece to cover their arse .

That's assuming that it's even Bartel's opinion and not that of Jon Pierik who writes/copy edits his pieces.

Four straight wins would follow but the margin for error was too thin, and three losses to end the season would ensue.
There are words and phrases in that article that would never come out of Bartel's vocab.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Footy show reporting a bulldog is set to leave the kennel. Will be in soon. Any ideas? Libba? Stringer? Cloke? I hope it's just a beat up

ratsmac
06-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Footy show reporting a bulldog is set to leave the kennel. Will be in soon. Any ideas? Libba? Stringer? Cloke? I hope it's just a beat up
I hope it's Cloke if it has to be anyone

chef
06-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Sounds like stringer

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Stevens has confirmed it's Stringer.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Don't like this:

Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL)Following

Murmurs turning into thunder tonight re Jake Stringer leaving the Bulldogs in trade period. Big currency, big chance

chef
06-09-2017, 11:47 PM
What a stupid move by the club if true.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 11:48 PM
What a stupid move by the club if true.

Let's hope it's not true

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Have said it before but I'd be happy to listen to offers for Jake.

Special talent but he's overrated. If this is the kick in the ass he needs, good. If we get something of value for him, I can live with that too.

ratsmac
06-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Oh no not Jakey

cinder
06-09-2017, 11:52 PM
If he wants to go though that makes it hard. Frustrating tho since he has a year left in his contract :/

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 11:52 PM
If he wants to go though that makes it hard. Frustrating tho since he has a year left in his contract :/

Disagree - being contracted makes it easier to push for the best deal possible.

chef
06-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Let's hope it's not true

Yep. If not we'll be screwed over once again in a trade and he'll rip it up elsewhere

cinder
06-09-2017, 11:54 PM
I meant makes it hard for the club to try to retain him.

Doc26
06-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Not ideal but given he's contracted for another year is at least some consolation to work a better deal for him.

Problem is, it sounds as though the McCartney issue might still to be raging.

Crameri re-signing now becomes a greater priority.

But where are all these leaks coming from within the Club as Barrett was reeling them off tonight.

Happy Days
06-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Holy hell this is a disaster if true. Stringer is AWESOME generational talent and if he goes I'll be devastated. There's no spin here, he just has to stay.

comrade
06-09-2017, 11:57 PM
No surprise he'll chase big money elsewhere, given he gets financial advice from Adam Cooney.

ratsmac
06-09-2017, 11:57 PM
What could of happened to get his nose out of joint I wonder

ratsmac
07-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Star player wants out, in fighting, another CEO leaving, premiership hangover, what the he'll is going on down there??:mad:

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2017, 12:00 AM
What shits me is that less than 12 months after we win a Premiership, we head straight back to our old ways with on field and off field issues surfacing.

LostDoggy
07-09-2017, 12:01 AM
If he is not happy I am ok to see what we can get for him as he has had 2 crap years so se loose nothing.

What should we be looking to get for him?

Player or draft pick?

bornadog
07-09-2017, 12:01 AM
But where are all these leaks coming from within the Club as Barrett was reeling them off tonight.

Barrett reads too many forums like BF. I don't believe a word. He latches on to any rumour involving the cub.

ratsmac
07-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Barrett reads too many forums like BF. I don't believe a word.
I hope your right but I have a sick feeling in my gut that Barrett is on the money this time.

Sedat
07-09-2017, 12:09 AM
In many ways Stringer is an ideal trade-out candidate. Inconsistent but mercurial and brilliant at his best, young enough to be seen as having 'upside' by other clubs, on a high wage with 1 year to go on his current contract. If it's a trade that is on our terms and advantages us, I'm happy to hear the offers. Stringer has too many 5-8 possession zero impact games for someone on the upper echelon pay scale for us. Also can he ever be more than a pinch hitter in midfield with his tank?

The reality is that if he has another middling year in 2018, that's 3 years in a row and his trade value plummets in 12 months' time.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2017, 12:12 AM
In many ways Stringer is an ideal trade-out candidate. Inconsistent but mercurial and brilliant at his best, young enough to be seen as having 'upside' by other clubs, on a high wage with 1 year to go on his current contract. if it's a trade that is on our terms and advantages us, I'm happy to hear the offers.

The reality is that if he has another middling year in 2018, that's 3 years in a row and his trade value plummets in 12 months' time.

Yep - too often clubs and supporters alike get sucked into what a player can do, and not what they consistently do.

How many times has Jake played well in a big game? I can only think of one - v Hawthorn in the SF. On just about every other occasion in big games against good opposition in finals and H&A, he's been ineffective.

Any chance we can lure Kelly?

bornadog
07-09-2017, 12:14 AM
In many ways Stringer is an ideal trade-out candidate. Inconsistent but mercurial and brilliant at his best, young enough to be seen as having 'upside' by other clubs, on a high wage with 1 year to go on his current contract. If it's a trade that is on our terms and advantages us, I'm happy to hear the offers. Stringer has too many 5-8 possession zero impact games for someone on the upper echelon pay scale for us. Also can he ever be more than a pinch hitter in midfield with his tank?

Kicked over 40 goals last year - so your 3 is actually 2. He had a bad year this year and so did many others.

Doc26
07-09-2017, 12:17 AM
Yep - too often clubs and supporters alike get sucked into what a player can do, and not what they consistently do.

How many times has Jake played well in a big game? I can only think of one - v Hawthorn in the SF. On just about every other occasion in big games against good opposition in finals and H&A, he's been ineffective.

I was just thinking that. With StevieJ finishing up, and a likelihood of of losing Kelly, Smith, Whitfield, the lure of a flashy mercurial type like Jake to market on, GWS might play.

Sedat
07-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Kicked over 40 goals last year - so your 3 is actually 2. He had a bad year this year and so did many others.
He wasn't great in 2016 - 40 goals flattered him, with big bags against the lower ranked teams.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:37 AM
In answer to another guy on twitter 14 mins ago re Stringer Stevo tweets "will go"

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:38 AM
In answer to another guy on twitter 14 mins ago re Stringer Stevo tweets "will go"

Mentions the Bummers would be very keen on him.....no doubt every other team too

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:40 AM

Sorry said "will happen"

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:45 AM
AFL Trade Shouter
AFL Trade Shouter @TradeShouter
·
34m
The blow up happened today in what is assumed to be his exit interview for the year.

Few home truths told and jake threw toys out the cot

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 12:46 AM
https://image.ibb.co/c5s6Mv/IMG_6058.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Crameri & Stringer going? Dickson a long way off this year.

We'd need to find a forward too, JMac.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:50 AM
Crameri & Stringer going? Dickson a long way off this year.

We'd need to find a forward too, JMac.

As I said at the start of the year Dickson was still partying when the season started. Not with alcohol either.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 12:54 AM
As I said at the start of the year Dickson was still partying when the season started. Not with alcohol either.

Well a club statement or lack there of will be telling.

The Crameri & Stringer families are tight. I wonder if our ongoing talks with Crameri are behind some of this innuendo (at this point).

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 01:03 AM

That would be worth considering.

AFL Trade Shouter
AFL Trade Shouter @TradeShouter
·
34m
The blow up happened today in what is assumed to be his exit interview for the year.

Few home truths told and jake threw toys out the cot

Is that all it is? I was worried it might be something serious. Its less than 12 hours after the event and tempers are hot. Let's wait until trade period and see what happens then.

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 01:38 AM
What shits me is that less than 12 months after we win a Premiership, we head straight back to our old ways with on field and off field issues surfacing.

I think we are missing Graeme Lowe

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 05:46 AM

The Saints are apparently now out of the running. Perhaps there is another suitor but I doubt it is us.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 05:53 AM

You can't afford to take the foot off the accelerator like we did because much like a cruise liner coming to a stop momentum is so hard to get going again. It's got all the signs that we allowed some people at the club a bit too much latitude.
Like in any business if you don't address errant behavior by some it quickly spreads.

The Pie Man
07-09-2017, 06:56 AM
You can't afford to take the foot off the accelerator like we did because much like a cruise liner coming to a stop momentum is so hard to get going again. It's got all the signs that we allowed some people at the club a bit too much latitude.
Like in any business if you don't address errant behavior by some it quickly spreads.

Bevo mentioned earlier this year that he 'doesn't sweat the small stuff' on On the Couch.

Perhaps he should have.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Bevo mentioned earlier this year that he 'doesn't sweat the small stuff' on On the Couch.

Perhaps he should have.

Turning a blind eye to issues or allowing some players a bit more latitude than they should can be very difficult to reign in when it's needed.

It's going to be a real test for our footy department to deliver forthright assessments of players and keeping them focused and positive.

jazzadogs
07-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Turning a blind eye to issues or allowing some players a bit more latitude than they should can be very difficult to reign in when it's needed.

It's going to be a real test for our footy department to deliver forthright assessments of players and keeping them focused and positive.

It sounds like a forthright assessment has been part of the cause of the Stringer mess today (allowing for germ Barrett's version of affairs to be accurate). Although Jake's reaction is disappointing in that scenario, I'm glad that it suggests there is a lot of honest feedback in the exit interviews. The key will be exactly how the feedback is delivered, and how the players react to the honesty of it.

Topdog
07-09-2017, 08:14 AM
0 or 1 goals in 18 of his last 24 games. I'm surprised he thought the exit interview might go OK

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Why can't we ever have nice things?

I thought the flag would be a turning point but straight back to our old ways

chef
07-09-2017, 08:48 AM
I was just thinking that. With StevieJ finishing up, and a likelihood of of losing Kelly, Smith, Whitfield, the lure of a flashy mercurial type like Jake to market on, GWS might play.

He's not moving interstate away from his kids.

Hope we are happy with our pick in the 20's for him.

KT31
07-09-2017, 09:05 AM
First round pick and Stringer for Kelly, they give us a second rounder ?

MrMahatma
07-09-2017, 09:09 AM
That would be worth considering.

Is that all it is? I was worried it might be something serious. Its less than 12 hours after the event and tempers are hot. Let's wait until trade period and see what happens then.

Surely the interviews don't contain a whole bunch of new news and just cover all the things they've been working on with the coaches every week. No point saving that stuff up.

aker39
07-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Some interesting comments from Mitch Wallis re Jake.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=131246

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Sam Maclure on SEN actually said Stringer doesn't want to leave. It was the dogs who said they will explore options. This upset him and he was then open to the idea. But seems he wants to stay. It depends if the relationship between club and player is repairable.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Sam Maclure on SEN actually said Stringer doesn't want to leave. It was the dogs who said they will explore options. This upset him and he was then open to the idea. But seems he wants to stay. It depends if the relationship between club and player is repairable.

So many conflicting reports

azabob
07-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Billings and Saints pick 7.
Saints pick 7&8.

Saints have the most to deal with.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Billings and Saints pick 7.
Saints pick 7&8.

Saints have the most to deal with.

To be honest that is massively one sided in our favour. Pick 7 alone would be enough.

Honestly i have zero confidence in McCartney getting a good deal done. Especially with him out of contract. Its not a great situation.

Ozza
07-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Just on Josh Kelly, there's been pretty strong mail around that Kelly to Carlton will get done, with a bit of Judd-like 'outside business interest' involved in the deal. Which is obviously disappointing.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Probably another thread on its own. But how can a premiership club not attract good talent in the trade period straight after, and then the following year with a hopeful bright future. And with a heap of salary cap to lure them? (But then get virtually nothing for Hrovat, go backwards with Stevens and not a lot for Hamling simultaneously - yes player values dropped. But we are losing talent that way and through retirement, and not bringing in talent to replace it seems if Lever & Kelly have decided we are not their destination club).

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 10:23 AM
There's all sorts of scuttlebutt going around to be honest and we've seen players over the years not performing to their ability been thrown around as trade bait . Invariably the player doesn't get traded, but gets a significant wake up call . Jake doesn't work hard enough , and sounds like he was told so . I don't think he'll be traded but if we get a decent deal it might happened .

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Probably another thread on its own. But how can a premiership club not attract good talent in the trade period straight after, and then the following year with a hopeful bright future. And with a heap of salary cap to lure them? (But then get virtually nothing for Hrovat, go backwards with Stevens and not a lot for Hamling simultaneously - yes player values dropped. But we are losing talent that way and through retirement, and not bringing in talent to replace it seems if Lever & Kelly have decided we are not their destination club).

Gotta to be taken into account that Hrovat and Stevens wanted more opportunity and being fringe players don't get much currency .
Hamling's a loss, but the clubs hands were tied by Joel wanting to go home for family reasons .

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Gotta to be taken into account that Hrovat and Stevens wanted more opportunity and being fringe players don't get much currency .
Hamling's a loss, but the clubs hands were tied by Joel wanting to go home for family reasons .

That was more of a side issue. The main issue is elite players were traded last year and likely this year, and it seems none of them are interested in us despite having serious money to spend. It seems winning the premiership has had no impact in making us a destination club.

LostDoggy
07-09-2017, 11:14 AM
No surprise he'll chase big money elsewhere, given he gets financial advice from Adam Cooney.

Thumbs down Comrade.

Happy Days
07-09-2017, 11:15 AM
With a good night's sleep, I think I've calmed down a bit. I still don't want him gone, and think that a clearly prodigiously talented young player whose reputation and form/market value sit so far apart is the sort of player you look to trade in, but that exit interview story, if true, is really disappointing.

Hypothetically, if Stringer was on another side, and this came out, would we not be interested? Him at his best is the exact sort of player we need. I'd only look at offers greater than pick 8, or a pretty serious player.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Yeah i'm trying to work out where i sit with all this. Stringer on potential is just a DO NOT TRADE. But his form lately and attitude issues which COULD be toxic to the club offset that.

It would have to be a mega deal for me if we were to trade him. Think Kelly like deal or draft pick better than ours this year or next year. To be honest i'm not interested, particularly this year, in draft picks unless we can use them further in a trade for a Kelly like deal. The thought of Stringer at another club tearing us up gives me shivers. He's the player we've always craved. We cannot afford to let him go cheaply.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Stringer this year and last year in our premiership year has been dissapointing but as woofers have said when he pops up in those big moments in games he can be a match winner. Jake needs to find more consistency throughout the games and once he can do that he will be a very good and opposition players will start to fear him on field.

It doesn't help when our forward line structure has been all over the shop and delivery in there very poor so that needs addressing so it is not all on Jake but agree would have to be for something very good if we were to consider to trade him out.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Some interesting comments from Mitch Wallis re Jake.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=131246

Perhaps Jake hasnt been committed to being a professional footballer for some time. A prodigous talent but needs Matty Boyd's work ethic

Grantysghost
07-09-2017, 11:53 AM
As far as I understand he (Jake) had considered leaving before we won the Grand Final so I am not surprised by this development, although I thought he was happy to stay now. Trade to Gold Coast for Jack Martin, doubt he would go interstate thought due to his children. Maybe he just needs a fresh start. I guess the issue for the club is they would like to know asap.

Happy Days
07-09-2017, 11:54 AM
As far as I understand he (Jake) had considered leaving before we won the Grand Final so I am not surprised by this development, although I thought he was happy to stay now. Trade to Gold Coast for Jack Martin, doubt he would go interstate thought due to his children. Maybe he just needs a fresh start. I guess the issue for the club is they would like to know asap.

You want to trade Jake Stringer for a shorter, weaker, worse version of Jake Stringer?

1eyedog
07-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Jake Stringer is one of the core reasons our future is so bright. He almost single-handedly can win games and he is only 23, no where near the start of his peak. If we trade him it will bite us in the arse big time because at 25-27 he will be tearing the comp apart.

He needs a few cuddles and a bit of support in the forward line.

Dancin' Douggy
07-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Jake Stringer has within him, the potential to be the BEST player in the comp.........(well maybe second best).

I would hate to see that potential explode at another club. He is a one in a million athletic beast.