PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have JMac target this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Grantysghost
07-09-2017, 12:06 PM
You want to trade Jake Stringer for a shorter, weaker, worse version of Jake Stringer?

No I don't want him to leave and hope that he stays, but I rate Martin quite highly so looking for a good outcome in a position we lack (skilled players).

bornadog
07-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Jake Stringer is one of the core reasons our future is so bright. He almost single-handedly can win games and he is only 23, no where near the start of his peak. If we trade him it will bite us in the arse big time because at 25-27 he will be tearing the comp apart.

Couldn't agree more.

With the crap years of 2011 to 2014, I thought great at least we can pick up some good first round players. Stringer, Macrae, The Bont was compensation for the pathetic years under Macca.

Easy for supporters to just dismiss him, which frankly I am disappointed in, acting like Richmond supporters of the past. One bad year and people are prepared to burn him and look for another unknown first rounder.

Me, I am hating listening to the talkback and reading the crap on twitter and even the negativity on this forum. Just makes the club look bad.

Hopefully this is worked out with a positive outcome and Jake stays.

Damian you got what you wanted - dickhead

Bulldog4life
07-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Jake Stringer is one of the core reasons our future is so bright. He almost single-handedly can win games and he is only 23, no where near the start of his peak. If we trade him it will bite us in the arse big time because at 25-27 he will be tearing the comp apart.

He needs a few cuddles and a bit of support in the forward line.

He has had a lot of cuddles and now getting some home truths. I want Jake to stay too but he has to pull his finger out. Up to him now.

always right
07-09-2017, 12:17 PM
I don't want to see him traded and I have no confidence in us getting a fair deal if it does go ahead.

azabob
07-09-2017, 12:49 PM
To be honest that is massively one sided in our favour. Pick 7 alone would be enough.

Honestly i have zero confidence in McCartney getting a good deal done. Especially with him out of contract. Its not a great situation.

We should hold the cards with Stringer still contracted for 2018.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm not seeing the need for any sort of panic yet. It's very early days.

SonofScray
07-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Stringer is dealing with some tough stuff for a young bloke. Combined with injuries I am not surprised he hasn't quite met our lofty expectations in recent history. SEN / twitter etc, I can't believe the crap some of our own have dished up on the issue. No perspective at all. Goals are an important part of footy. He is our leading goal kicker, across multiple seasons.

His best is GOAT level stuff, the Bont may well be Mr Football mkII but Jake, when fit and motivated is unlike anything we've ever had in our team colours. G Ablett Snr comparisons were reasonable. That's not to say a trade is unthinkable, I can see a few scenarios where I would off load a player of his ilk, but you need to understand what you've got. Big deals like this happen in US sports all the time. Ideally you get better and limit how much better your opponents get, Stringer makes our opponents much better. The deal would have to be unprecedented.

Would rather we support him, get his head right, get him fit and playing to his strengths.

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Does appear as if the powers that be have simply reached the point where they feel the costs of letting Jake be Jake are beginning to outweigh the rewards, and have understandably made this clear to the player alongside an appeal for greater commitment.

The season we've had surely demands nothing less from the club.

He certainly wouldn't have been the only player challenged, so apart from the media's appetite for scandal, why's Jake's reaction the one being aired? I know the answer, but his handling of warranted criticism and the lack of maturity it might demonstrate - particularly in the cauldron of a young, impressionable club - suddenly seems like the issue with Jake in a nutshell.

Rather hope player and club can learn from this, mend and mutually benefit because every sausage roll he slots against us in rival colours will be positively undigestible.

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Little early to burn the joint down . Reckon it's a big wake up call for Jake to work harder ,
He's cruised the last two years

MrMahatma
07-09-2017, 02:50 PM
We also have to consider:

1. How frustrating it would be to play in our forward line with rubbish entry after rubbish entry.
2. Has Bevo made any of our forwards better?

There's a lot of negativity around Jake, but what about our forward line in general and how they're coached/treated? From the outside looking in, it's better to be a HBF at the dogs than a natural forward.

kruder
07-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Dustin Martin was very close to leaving Richmond 3 years ago when he was a naughty boy, inconsistent, lacked a tank to play in the midfield yet the tigers backed him in, supported him and look where he is now. Jake has two young kids also and lets be honest no one should have kids at his age it wouldn't be an easy position to be in. I remember going to the footy in 2015 watching him and the Bont and thinking how lucky are we, I cant remember two players with more talent at the club, two players that made me want to go to the footy so much.

Its really disappointing that its out in the media and the other huge concern is that your list manager may want out also not the best time to be dealing with one of the biggest decisions the club have faced in a decade. Jake needs to knuckle down no doubt, but I think the coaching staff and management need a good hard look at themselves also, its easy to find a scapegoat in this situation but whole collective is responsible for the step backwards this year.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 05:03 PM
He has had a lot of cuddles and now getting some home truths. I want Jake to stay too but he has to pull his finger out. Up to him now.

If we don't put our arm around him another club will pretty quickly.

This lack of fitness thing had me wondering because all we read about in the preseason was him and Lachie Hunter training together and how well Jake was going.

I'm not seeing the need for any sort of panic yet. It's very early days.

I agree. There's still a long way until trade week.

Does appear as if the powers that be have simply reached the point where they feel the costs of letting Jake be Jake are beginning to outweigh the rewards, and have understandably made this clear to the player alongside an appeal for greater commitment.

The season we've had surely demands nothing less from the club.

He certainly wouldn't have been the only player challenged, so apart from the media's appetite for scandal, why's Jake's reaction the one being aired? I know the answer, but his handling of warranted criticism and the lack of maturity it might demonstrate - particularly in the cauldron of a young, impressionable club - suddenly seems like the issue with Jake in a nutshell.

Rather hope player and club can learn from this, mend and mutually benefit because every sausage roll he slots against us in rival colours will be positively undigestible.

Me too. This is a big moment for the culture of the club.

Happy Days
07-09-2017, 06:45 PM
So North have been mentioned, and they have nothing of value except pick 4 or Ben Brown. I would sincerely hope that we do not accept a package (...) of flotsam to go with a second pick.

Can we get either of these assets? I say we walk if we can't.

1eyedog
07-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Norf have turned into that dodgy guy at the $2 peep show.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 07:26 PM

North have turned into Westdog54? :D

The undercover one there on work duty of course.

1eyedog
07-09-2017, 07:34 PM
North have turned into Westdog54? :D

The undercover one there on work duty of course.

Lol lol lol

DOG GOD
07-09-2017, 07:35 PM
For mine, I'd be devastated if Jake left.
Yes, he needs to lift his attitude and get a better tank,

And yes, he could turn into our Dusty Martin.

Cmon jake.

lemmon
07-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Shows how much value playing nice with the Hrovat trade did. We weren't going to get much but we lack any sort of hard edge at the trade table.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Dustin Martin was very close to leaving Richmond 3 years ago when he was a naughty boy, inconsistent, lacked a tank to play in the midfield yet the tigers backed him in, supported him and look where he is now. Jake has two young kids also and lets be honest no one should have kids at his age it wouldn't be an easy position to be in. I remember going to the footy in 2015 watching him and the Bont and thinking how lucky are we, I cant remember two players with more talent at the club, two players that made me want to go to the footy so much.

Its really disappointing that its out in the media and the other huge concern is that your list manager may want out also not the best time to be dealing with one of the biggest decisions the club have faced in a decade. Jake needs to knuckle down no doubt, but I think the coaching staff and management need a good hard look at themselves also, its easy to find a scapegoat in this situation but whole collective is responsible for the step backwards this year.

While I agree with a lot of what you have written there is nothing to suggest that out list manager won't do a great job for us regardless if he is staying beyond his contract or not or if Jake decides to leave.
We had a bad year and fell well below expectations and the players need to be made aware that they are in a highly professional environment that demands success.

I'm very hopeful this will be sorted out

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 07:58 PM
7 sport saying the Cats are an option

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 08:04 PM
7 sport saying the Cats are an option

With nothing to trade and no salary cap room. Ch7 not letting truth determine the news as usual.

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 08:45 PM
How on earth would Geelong be able to get Jake ?

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 08:47 PM
For mine, I'd be devastated if Jake left.
Yes, he needs to lift his attitude and get a better tank,

And yes, he could turn into our Dusty Martin.

Cmon jake.

Funny that the Tiges and Dusty nearly parted a few years ago also .

Avoid the rush
07-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Motlop and Catters first pick for Jake????

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-09-2017, 08:55 PM

I would be very upset if that's what we considered the right price to jettison a 23 year old who was All Australian but 2 years ago.
Its either got to be a trade proposal that puts a significant down payment on securing Lever or Kelly, maybe Shache or else we say nope.

always right
07-09-2017, 09:10 PM
If we offload Jake for any one of Motlop, Schache or Goldstein.....I'll be livid.

Webby
07-09-2017, 09:13 PM
If we offload Jake for any one of Motlop, Schache or Goldstein.....I'll be livid.

That simply won't happen.

LongWait
07-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Motlop is a free agent.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Goldstein maybe ruck situation until English is ready.

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Ditto for me . I hope the club are thinking big

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Goldstein maybe ruck situation until English is ready.

He's to slow for what Bevo likes

dog town
07-09-2017, 09:38 PM
I would be very upset if that's what we considered the right price to jettison a 23 year old who was All Australian but 2 years ago.
Its either got to be a trade proposal that puts a significant down payment on securing Lever or Kelly, maybe Shache or else we say nope. Would anyone pay more than something like that for him? The last two seasons have been horrendous from him. He has 2-3 major flaws in his game that show no sign of improvement. I just don't see any club giving us anything of massive value. Better off holding on to him and trying to get more out of him.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 09:38 PM
He's to slow for what Bevo likes

A good ruckman from somewhere would be good to get. It is an area we are deficient in.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Motlop is a free agent.

Hello LW, long time no post

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
J Mac doesn't fill me with confidence.

I really hope Stringer stays. He needs a mentor til he gets himself right. His best will come.

G-Mo77
07-09-2017, 10:14 PM
J Mac doesn't fill me with confidence.

I really hope Stringer stays. He needs a mentor til he gets himself right. His best will come.

I don't think he gets enough credit to be honest. We've paid pretty big salaries in the last year or two and he's managed to keep our TPP at a level where we can still acquire a player. We've kept a strong list together when everyone was supposed to go elsewhete. We also lost Hurley in the 11th hour for the 2017 season so we've managed our money very well which is a huge part of his job. Trades we've made I'm not that rapt about though but again it's not like we've been in great positions to get more.

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
I don't think he gets enough credit to be honest. We've paid pretty big salaries in the last year or two and he's managed to keep our TPP at a level where we can still acquire a player. We've kept a strong list together when everyone was supposed to go elsewhete. We also lost Hurley in the 11th hour for the 2017 season so we've managed our money very well which is a huge part of his job. Trades we've made I'm not that rapt about though but again it's not like we've been in great positions to get more.

I agree his retention policy has been excellent. Credit is certainly deserved there with a caveat on the players we let go last year.

It is his skill at negotiating with other clubs that has me concerned. I think he gets pushed around. We received a very poor return for the players we traded out last year. Stevens trade was ordinary. Had Norf finished above us we would have paid them to take Hrovat. More should have been done to retain Hamling especially when you consider the $$ we were prepared to pay Hurley. I fear we would get unders for a player every club would love to have. We/he should take note of that.

1eyedog
07-09-2017, 10:36 PM
How can we turn Jake Stringer into Josh Kelly?

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:45 PM

Something like North's 4 & 21 (and a player we want, an achievable trade like a Goldstein which saves us trading for Martin) > for Our 9 & Stringer > Picks 4 & 21 for Kelly (GWS get a high first and second rounder despite the Whitfield affair which sickens me).

Essentially Pick 9 & Stringer for Kelly & Goldstein* (* for example)

Murphy'sLore
07-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Could we trade out JMac for bulldogtragic? Now that's a deal I could get behind!

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:49 PM
If the finals continue this way for the Giant Wankers from Shitsville then Kelly will be glad to get out of there me thinks

G-Mo77
07-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Yeah fair assessment Doc. The Hurley deal really got us on the back foot IMO. If Stringer does decide he wants out he is contracted so we have hand, we'll get something out of it. Personally I think nothing will happen and he'll stay next season and beyond

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Could we trade out JMac for bulldogtragic? Now that's a deal I could get behind!

bulldogtragic and Mofra both are pretty good I reckon in this area.

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Yeah fair assessment Doc. The Hurley deal really got us on the back foot IMO. If Stringer does decide he wants out he is contracted so we have hand, we'll get something out of it. Personally I think nothing will happen and he'll stay next season and beyond

I hope you're right G-Mo

He is arguably and potentially as good as anyone on the list. We have to find a way to manage that.

1eyedog
07-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Something like North's 4 & 21 (and a player we want, an achievable trade like a Goldstein which saves us trading for Martin) > for Our 9 & Stringer > Picks 4 & 21 for Kelly (GWS get a high first and second rounder despite the Whitfield affair)

Essentially Pick 9 & Stringer for Kelly & Goldstein* (* for example)

Kelly is really one of the only scenarios I'd consider for Jake.

ratsmac
07-09-2017, 11:01 PM
I agree his retention policy has been excellent. Credit is certainly deserved there with a caveat on the players we let go last year.

It is his skill at negotiating with other clubs that has me concerned. I think he gets pushed around. We received a very poor return for the players we traded out last year. Stevens trade was ordinary. Had Norf finished above us we would have paid them to take Hrovat. More should have been done to retain Hamling especially when you consider the $$ we were prepared to pay Hurley. I fear we would get unders for a player every club would love to have. We/he should take note of that.
Totally agree. J Mac lacks the salesman craft. If Stringer is on the table we need a salesman who could sell ice (the frozen water type) to an Eskimo to make sure we don't cop a you know what up the you know where

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Kelly is really one of the only scenarios I'd consider for Jake.

I agree whole heartedly. The Stringer situation has two end games to me, or that I'd only accept:

1. Josh Kelly, which probably comes through North
2. Jake Stringer stays and knuckles down to become the player he should be

Either sounds ok from what we've heard in the media in the past 24 hours.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 11:45 PM

He's worth more than that. If that's the type of offer we are getting then he stays. If we give a contracted Jake Stringer away for that type of compensation I give up.

That's the question.

always right
07-09-2017, 11:53 PM
For those who want Jake to stay (I'm one of them) some good news is that none of the interstate clubs will be of interest to him. Although I guess that also reduces the pool of players we could get for him. It would take some creative trading.

kruder
08-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Stevo going with that he will be traded and Geelong leading the race. I just cant see how Geelong gets it done.

Sedat
08-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Stevo going with that he will be traded and Geelong leading the race. I just cant see how Geelong gets it done.
Credit where it's due, Geelong gets things done in trade week. If they are desperate to get him, they'll find a way.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 12:18 AM

He has lost the plot like many journos hungry for any old gossip.

kruder
08-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Credit where it's due, Geelong gets things done in trade week. If they are desperate to get him, they'll find a way.

If he goes to Geelong I'll spew up.

Rocket Science
08-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Want him they may, but what've the Handbaggers got of comparable calibre that'd be of remote interest to us?

Forget it.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2017, 01:20 AM

Baffling. They need serious cap space, I'm not sure where enough will come from. We'd want players and/or picks they don't have. There just doesn't seem to be anything supporting this idea. Maybe Bulldogs Stevo is throwing out disinformation to Kangaroos Damian Barrett. That's the best defence of it I've got, but It just doesn't make sense.

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this trade? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this trade! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a woofer defending baseless trade talk, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

KT31
08-09-2017, 01:37 AM

I agree, he used to be quite reliable but now you barely gets a rumour right.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 06:31 AM
Baffling. They need serious cap space, I'm not sure where enough will come from. We'd want players and/or picks they don't have. There just doesn't seem to be anything supporting this idea. Maybe Bulldogs Stevo is throwing out disinformation to Kangaroos Damian Barrett. That's the best defence of it I've got, but It just doesn't make sense.

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this trade? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this trade! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a woofer defending baseless trade talk, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Is that going to be a new sig? I like it.

ratsmac
08-09-2017, 08:13 AM

I don't know what just happened!

comrade
08-09-2017, 08:57 AM
If Jake digs his heels in and demands a trade (while under contract) to a destination club of his choice, and that club can't satisfy us with an extremely fair deal, I say screw him and his manager. Make him play out next year with us or he can sit out AFL footy entirely.

ratsmac
08-09-2017, 10:06 AM
If Jake digs his heels in and demands a trade (while under contract) to a destination club of his choice, and that club can't satisfy us with an extremely fair deal, I say screw him and his manager. Make him play out next year with us or he can sit out AFL footy entirely.

I agree. Just like Bryce Gibbs last season when Adelaide couldn't satisfy Carlton with a respectable enough trade for a gun player. We have to hold our nerve with this one and not blink first.

Jake has skills few possess and I want to see him explode in Bulldogs colours but if that isn't the case we MUST be the winners in the trade.

1eyedog
08-09-2017, 10:13 AM

They'll prey on Bevo's love affair with tall, athletic almost ruckman and they have 3 that I know.

1eyedog
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Want him they may, but what've the Handbaggers got of comparable calibre that'd be of remote interest to us?

Forget it.

Blicavs

jazzadogs
08-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Blicavs

If Blicavs, Stanley, Menzel, Motlop or Zac Smith (or anyone else on their list) are not paired with a first round pick, I don't want to hear their names spoken of again.

We cannot underrate Stringer.

(I'm not completely delirious, we would have to give a later pick back)

bulldogsthru&thru
08-09-2017, 11:04 AM
If Blicavs, Stanley, Menzel, Motlop or Zac Smith (or anyone else on their list) are not paired with a first round pick, I don't want to hear their names spoken of again.

We cannot underrate Stringer.

(I'm not completely delirious, we would have to give a later pick back)

I don't even want any of that with a first round pick. Still unders

G-Mo77
08-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Yeah noticing a lot of silly stuff tweeting from Stevo. Knows a lot about the Dogs and most times he is spot on but if you could find a suitor who it is almost impossible to get a deal done with it would be Geelong. Who are they going to offer Motlop? Menzel? They have no picks to throw in with them. I'd be prepared to just squash this tripe straight off the bat.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Yeah noticing a lot of silly stuff tweeting from Stevo. Knows a lot about the Dogs and most times he is spot on but if you could find a suitor who it is almost impossible to get a deal done with it would be Geelong. Who are they going to offer Motlop? Menzel? They have no picks to throw in with them. I'd be prepared to just squash this tripe straight off the bat.

I quite like Stevo but he gets bulldog rumours spectacularly wrong. A couple of years ago at the B&F I convinced him that Ben Reid had committed to us under FA and he wrote it up in the H/S the next day. He obviously doesn't check his sources very well.

G-Mo77
08-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I quite like Stevo but he gets bulldog rumours spectacularly wrong. A couple of years ago at the B&F I convinced him that Ben Reid had committed to us under FA and he wrote it up in the H/S the next day. He obviously doesn't check his sources very well.

Injuries, Ins and Outs. yeah he gets them right most of the time. Player movement his strike rate is just like every other reporter out there. The sky isn't falling or gold has fallen in our lap because someone with a "source" says so. We don't have Trengrove, we haven't lost Stringer. There is still nothing to see here.

Sedat
08-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Whilst I agree with the above, who has Geelong failed to deliver in the last few years that they have targeted in the off-season? They nail just about everyone they chase.

I can't see how they can appease us with a suitable trade but stranger things have happened.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Whilst I agree with the above, who has Geelong failed to deliver in the last few years that they have targeted in the off-season? They nail just about everyone they chase.

I can't see how they can appease us with a suitable trade but stranger things have happened.

How are they fixed for future draft picks? They've given a few up over the last couple of years to get ready made players, are they out of that cycle after this year?

Happy Days
08-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Ablett?

Mofra
08-09-2017, 02:00 PM
A few journos going with Kelly signs with the Giants for 2 years if they don't win the flag, leaves if they do.

Might be hard to get Kelly this year based on last night's performance.

Shoot me, but if Stringer goes I'd be going at Geelong's FAs (Motlop & Menzel) and seeing what shakes loose. Menzel is Stringer-levels infuriating and Motlop's propensity to go missing in big games is a worry, but we didn't get to play big games this year and Motlop's best is outstanding.

We get something for Stringer, get a player or two that helps soothe the loss, Trengove to shore up the back half and hit the draft where we have traditionally done far, far better than the trade table anyway.

Topdog
08-09-2017, 04:12 PM
A few journos going with Kelly signs with the Giants for 2 years if they don't win the flag, leaves if they do.

I'd be going the other way as a player

always right
08-09-2017, 11:21 PM

Might be hard to get Kelly this year based on last night's performance.

Shoot me, but if Stringer goes I'd be going at Geelong's FAs (Motlop & Menzel) and seeing what shakes loose. Menzel is Stringer-levels infuriating and Motlop's propensity to go missing in big games is a worry, but we didn't get to play big games this year and Motlop's best is outstanding.

We get something for Stringer, get a player or two that helps soothe the loss, Trengove to shore up the back half and hit the draft where we have traditionally done far, far better than the trade table anyway.
After watching Motlop tonight, would you still want him? And Menzel couldn't even get a game. Pass on both thanks.

Remi Moses
08-09-2017, 11:46 PM
No to Motlop .

bornadog
09-09-2017, 12:07 AM
After watching Motlop tonight, would you still want him? And Menzel couldn't even get a game. Pass on both thanks.

Agree.

Stevo reporting tonight Menzel has a one year contract in front of him and less pay

1eyedog
09-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Menzel is ok but he's no Jake Stringer. Footscray cannot continue to be a dumping ground for Geelong rejects.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Jack Lonie confirms looking for a new home. Pretty sure someone mentioned they would be interested.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 12:58 AM
Jack Lonie confirms looking for a new home. Pretty sure someone mentioned they would be interested.

A certain moderator of ours will be petitioning the club.

dog town
09-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Not sure if Lonie is the answer but we could do with some like him.

Watching the tigers last night only confirmed to me further that we lost our style this year. Pick a style of play and own it. We could certainly do with some pace and tackling to get back to our brand.

We need to stop flooding the list with mediocre talls. We went away from our brand this year trying to be something we are not. Lonie might not be the man but we need guys with leg speed who can close space quickly to defend and spread quickly to attack.

KT31
09-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Agree.

Stevo reporting tonight Menzel has a one year contract in front of him and less pay

If I was him, soon as the siren sounded I would have ran straight of the ground and signed it before Geelong woke-up to themselves.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 10:46 AM
After watching Motlop tonight, would you still want him?
Here is a list of spuds who played worse than Motlop last night - Kolo, Stewart, Parsons, Smith, Bews, Taylor, Mackie, Z Guthrie, C Guthrie, Menegola, Blicavs, Murdoch, S Selwood. I'm being kind to a few others. Mackie and Taylor obviously aren't career spuds but the rest of this list are.

I get amused by the amount of flack that Motlop gets as a player - he has obvious flaws but there are many players at Geelong in 2017 who are barely VFL standard.

Topdog
09-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Here is a list of spuds who played worse than Motlop last night - Kolo, Stewart, Parsons, Smith, Bews, Taylor, Mackie, Z Guthrie, C Guthrie, Menegola, Blicavs, Murdoch, S Selwood. I'm being kind to a few others. Mackie and Taylor obviously aren't career spuds but the rest of this list are.

I get amused by the amount of flack that Motlop gets as a player - he has obvious flaws but there are many players at Geelong in 2017 who are barely VFL standard.

No one is suggesting to recruit any of the other. How much do you think it will cost to recruit Motlop and whose position in the team will he take?

Sedat
09-09-2017, 11:03 AM
No one is suggesting to recruit any of the other. How much do you think it will cost to recruit Motlop and whose position in the team will he take?
I'm not advocating we get him, just highlighting the fact that he is judged much more harshly as a player than others that are clearly worse. I can see why other clubs might be interested in him - young enough, great turn of pace, wins plenty of the ball, elite tank. But as has been rightly pointed out he has some telling flaws in his game - inconsistency, goes missing in big games, tries to do too much, takes low percentage options too often.

always right
09-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Agree but no one was suggesting we trade for any of those. Getting Motlop would end up being another Justin Sherman type outcome.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Motlop's (and his ilk) a classic example of why forwards of small to medium size really struggle in big and tight games when those up the ground get found out for grit and class.

In the AFL there's not a lot of jobs easier than defending his type of flanker or pocket when your ground set up and team defence is working well. It's why forward pocket and forward flank are the hardest positions to play in the modern game.

Happy Days
09-09-2017, 02:56 PM

That was me. Really like him as a player and we'd have to be interested.

Lonie and 8 for Stringer? Would still be awful but I could swallow it.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Motlop's (and his ilk) a classic example of why forwards of small to medium size really struggle in big and tight games when those up the ground get found out for grit and class.

In the AFL there's not a lot of jobs easier than defending his type of flanker or pocket when your ground set up and team defence is working well. It's why forward pocket and forward flank are the hardest positions to play in the modern game.

Makes Eddie Bett's effort on Thursday night seem even better. GWS were a rabble down back for large parts of the game though. Maybe not so much down back but defensively. The ball was coming in quickly to a largely empty forward Adelaide forward 50 a lot of the time is my point.

always right
09-09-2017, 04:23 PM
That was me. Really like him as a player and we'd have to be interested.

Lonie and 8 for Stringer? Would still be awful but I could swallow it.

No thank you. Do...not...rate. Not sure I could survive seeing us lose Stringer and then get the little spud as part of the deal.

I would prefer to see us make a play for Short at Richmond. Quick and a penetrating kick. Anyone know his contract status?

Sedat
09-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Trade Whsiperer on Twitter suggesting that Armitage might be heading our way as part of a Stringer trade. Not exactly thrilled by this idea, even though our midfield stocks need bolstering.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Trade Whsiperer on Twitter suggesting that Armitage might be heading our way as part of a Stringer trade. Not exactly thrilled by this idea, even though our midfield stocks need bolstering.

I want more. I hope there's an all out bidding war if he wants out. All. Out.

chef
09-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately bidding wars dont happen. He'll chose a club and we'll negotiate with them.

kruder
09-09-2017, 07:04 PM
I want more. I hope there's an all out bidding war if he wants out. All. Out.

You would hope so the dude is 30 next year and I'm not sure out list requires another inside mid.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Robert Z'Dar playing for the Bulldogs eh?

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately bidding wars dont happen. He'll chose a club and we'll negotiate with them.

Ordinarily, but he's under contract. So this time we hold the cards for a change. I think he's after huge coin, so if that's the case and there's a few similar offers at the pointy end from a few clubs, maybe we might jump get adequate compo.

Or he stays, knuckles down, finds some form and looks at his contract status next year. Him staying is a fine worst case scenario.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 07:13 PM
You would hope so the dude is 30 next year and I'm not sure out list requires another inside mid.

They'd (if it's St Kilda) have to offer up guys picked at a similar point in the draft, such as Billings, McCartin, Longer etc. with or without adding picks into the trade depending on the player.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 07:38 PM
They'd (if it's St Kilda) have to offer up guys picked at a similar point in the draft, such as Billings, McCartin, Longer etc. with or without adding picks into the trade depending on the player.

Would we go for 7&8 as a trade? They probably wouldn't but I'd start there

jeemak
09-09-2017, 07:47 PM
I like the idea of bolstering our midfield, but not a guy with a dud set of adductors who might be likely to slide further in terms of output.

The 'aints first pick in the draft plus their second rounder and someone like Lonie would probably get it done.

GVGjr
09-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Would we go for 7&8 as a trade? They probably wouldn't but I'd start there

I can't see us getting a top 10 pick straight up for Stringer but there are a few other ways to a deal done if it actually comes to that.
We might throw in our 2nd round pick or we might be able to do a deal with the likes of Richmond who could be looking for draft value index points to make sure they get their father son pick.

ratsmac
09-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Billings and pick 8 or piss off saints. Otherwise we force him stay for another year and recommence trade negotiations next year.

always right
09-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Am I the only one who hopes this might be the trigger to turn Stringer's career around.....at our club?

chef
09-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Ordinarily, but he's under contract. So this time we hold the cards for a change. I think he's after huge coin, so if that's the case and there's a few similar offers at the pointy end from a few clubs, maybe we might jump get adequate compo.

Or he stays, knuckles down, finds some form and looks at his contract status next year. Him staying is a fine worst case scenario.

For me him staying is best case scenario.

The player always holds the whip to me, they pick which club they want to go to and then the clubs negotiate.

Twodogs
Am I the only one who hopes this might be the trigger to turn Stringer's career around.....at our club?

We all hope that. Hopefully he has a look from the edge and doesn't like what he sees.

Remi Moses
I agree what was said about Jake not reading the situation . How does he think it was going to be perceived by rocking up late to training and tardy with his rehab ?

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Heard this one from my cousin a keen doggie supporter.
Armitage from St Kilda and our first pick to GC, we'd get Peter Wright and Saints would get Stringer.

chef
09-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Heard this one from my cousin a keen doggie supporter.
Armitage from St Kilda and our first pick to GC, we'd get Peter Wright and Saints would get Stringer.

Stringer and 9 for Wright?

We are getting reamed.

Saints getting Stringer for Armitage. Yeah, nah.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 08:20 PM

We are getting reamed.
Has to be St Kilda's pick 7 or 8. Can't possibly be our pick.

chef
09-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Has to be St Kilda's pick 7 or 8. Can't possibly be our pick.

Wright for Stringer would be a decent trade.

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 08:22 PM

We are getting reamed.

Saints getting Stringer for Armitage. Yeah, nah.

Yeah I get your point. I'll disregard it ha ha

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Wright for Stringer would be a decent trade.

Agree

chef
09-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Yeah I get your point. I'll disregard it ha ha

Yeah, as Sedat said it'd have to be Ainters tossing in a pick.

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Yeah, as Sedat said it'd have to be Ainters tossing in a pick.

Yep. If we got Wright it would be a good trade for us.

ratsmac
09-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Yep. If we got Wright it would be a good trade for us.

Yeah that making the best of a bad situation for sure. We would be in desperate need of a medium sized forward without Stringer though.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Yeah that making the best of a bad situation for sure. We would be in desperate need of a medium sized forward without Stringer though.

Get them to throw in Branden Matera to help out with the small forward thing too. Blood Lipinski as the mid sized forward unless one pops up.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Certainly not a medium forward as mercurial as Skinner but I'd be happy with Wright. We'd have to sweeten the deal surely? Wright is a high draft pick who has barely put a foot wrong since he came into GC's side.

mitch0418
11-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Stringer has the potential to be the next Dusty. He is 23 and has so much talent but just needs to get his head right and support around him. Dusty wasn't exactly turning heads his first few years. If we trade him and I see him in a few years time demolishing us with the fend off and racking up 30 possessions then I'll spew. He was AA a couple of years ago. I think we need to keep him next year and put him in the midfield and let the Bont be a tall option up forward (we just need to find someone that can teach everyone to kick straight).

WBFC4FFC
11-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Stringer has the potential to be the next Dusty. He is 23 and has so much talent but just needs to get his head right and support around him. Dusty wasn't exactly turning heads his first few years. If we trade him and I see him in a few years time demolishing us with the fend off and racking up 30 possessions then I'll spew. He was AA a couple of years ago. I think we need to keep him next year and put him in the midfield and let the Bont be a tall option up forward (we just need to find someone that can teach everyone to kick straight).

How about the Half-Back line instead of the Midfield?

FrediKanoute
11-09-2017, 05:06 PM
How about the Half-Back line instead of the Midfield?

It worked with a certain C Grant back in the 90's after he seemed to lose his way a little for a year or two.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2017, 05:49 PM
So there are reports Schache is gone from Brisbane.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 05:52 PM

When you say gone, has he broken his contract, has Brisbane confirmed they want to trade him?

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 05:52 PM

If Kelly is staying, and if Lever is going to Melbourne. Would Schache be adequate compo if Stringer leaves? (3 way trade)

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 05:53 PM
When you say gone, has he broken his contract, has Brisbane confirmed they want to trade him?

I guess trade him or Cam McCarthy him are the options.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2017, 05:56 PM

No not confirmed but there are reports he's left nothing behind in Brisbane and some players believe he isn't coming back

I wouldn't want him in a trade with Stringer directly. I don't like the sound of his professionalism. So yes similar to Stringer but string has runs on the board

always right
11-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Just what we need.....another passive key forward.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 06:18 PM
http://www.starweekly.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/stringer1.jpg

bornadog
11-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Mark Stevens is reporting that Collingwood big man Mason Cox has re-signed with the Pies.

Stevens has tweeted that he has been locked in on a 3-year deal.

Remi Moses
11-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Thank Christ for that

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Mark Stevens is reporting that Collingwood big man Mason Cox has re-signed with the Pies.

Stevens has tweeted that he has been locked in on a 3-year deal.

Just goes to show all The reports he is gone were crap, we won't get any reporters announcing they were wrong though.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Schaches manager has just come out saying Schache is happy at the lions. So fox sports report is off the mark

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Schaches manager has just come out saying Schache is happy at the lions. So fox sports report is off the mark

Doesn't matter it was wrong it got fox sports veiwers and attention. That's all the media is about now .. Which story can we make up so veiwers / readers will listen or buy our papers. They just put alleged or one word that covers their arse it they are wrong and run the story.

always right
11-09-2017, 07:26 PM
We appear to be dodging bullets left, right and centre.

Rocket Science
11-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Really hoping there isn't a Goldstein-sized grenade incoming ...

Topdog
11-09-2017, 08:31 PM

Or we were never even interested in them...

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 09:24 PM

Hah! From that distance they couldn't hit an eleph...

macca
11-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Kicking coaches: gilbee, ben Dixon , sav rocca. Anyone else available ?

Bulldog4life
11-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Kicking coaches: gilbee, ben Dixon , sav rocca. Anyone else available ?

Twodogs?

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Twodogs?

I've always said give me the worst kick for half an hour and I will improve him, or her. It's not like I'm going to make their action any worse.

Bulldog4life
11-09-2017, 11:10 PM
I've always said give me the worst kick for half an hour and I will improve him, or her. It's not like I'm going to make their action any worse.

Yep I remember. I am voting for you Twodogs as kicking coach and BT as list manager.

Sedat
11-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Lol at Matty Lloyd on Footy Classified trying to dumb down Stringer's trade worth because Essendon are keen on him.

Happy Days
11-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Look on the bright side; if Stringer goes to the Bombers, then it's finally time to collect on all that precious equity we drummed up in the Crameri trade. I'm sure Dodoro would be more than happy to return that favour.

Twodogs
12-09-2017, 12:31 AM
Yep I remember. I am voting for you Twodogs as kicking coach and BT as list manager.

I was watching the Port/West Coast with twopups on the weekend and during the third quarter after Port had missed another set shot he came out with "*!*!*!*! me dead. How hard is it to run in a straight line and not lean back when you kick a football?"

I dunno whether I've done a good job or whether I've been banging on about it far too much. To be fair he and I watch a lot of footy together so he hears every critique I make.

comrade
12-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Lol at Matty Lloyd on Footy Classified trying to dumb down Stringer's trade worth because Essendon are keen on him.

What does good old 'Lordo' think Jake is worth?

bulldogsthru&thru
12-09-2017, 09:27 AM
What does good old 'Lordo' think Jake is worth?

Both him and Watson think a late first or early second. That's rubbish but I take the point that IF we are instigating the trade we lose currency. In that case we have to hope for a bidding war. Hopefully saints and north get involved

Topdog
12-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Both him and Watson think a late first or early second. That's rubbish but I take the point that IF we are instigating the trade we lose currency. In that case we have to hope for a bidding war. Hopefully saints and north get involved

We lose currency only if we are willing to lose currency. He has a year left on his contract and if he wants a good contract he will need to play well next year. If he does we can decide again if we want to keep him but free agency compensation will almost certainly be a good first round pick especially if he plays well next year.

Mantis
12-09-2017, 01:02 PM
We lose currency only if we are willing to lose currency. He has a year left on his contract and if he wants a good contract he will need to play well next year. If he does we can decide again if we want to keep him but free agency compensation will almost certainly be a good first round pick especially if he plays well next year.

It's tied into where we finish isn't it?

Axe Man
12-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Stringer will not be a free agent next year though.

Topdog
12-09-2017, 01:22 PM
It's tied into where we finish isn't it?

I believe it is. So if he stays and helps us win a premiership I'm happy to receive pick 18.

If he helps us to improve to get 4th we would end up with pick 14 which is the same or better (early second) than Lloyd and Watson seem to suggest.

Essendon currently have pick 11 this season. For a drop of ~3/4 spots after pick 10 I'd rather keep him for another season.

We absolutely shouldn't be accepting less than a top 10 pick.

comrade
12-09-2017, 01:49 PM

An early second? If that's the case, Jake can rot in the VFL for a year.

The Doctor
12-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Lloyd & Watson are spruiking for their club and hoping to condition us to accept a lesser deal. much like real estate agents do.

stringer is contracted. we hold the aces and shouldn't let him go unless we are getting well compensated.

Sedat
12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
He's under contract in 2018 and there are at least 5 Vic based clubs publicly interested in him in light of the rumours that Stringer had coffee with SOS this morning. It has overs written all over it for the successful bidder.

anfo27
12-09-2017, 02:37 PM

He isn'e eligible for free agency next year TD.

I feel sick in the guts at the thought of Jake going. Whoever gets him will be getting the bargain of a lifetime. We love giving out bargains! Hrovat & Stevens are best 22 players for their new teams & we got nothing for them. Let me guess that all the teams we have a good trading relationship with will be sniffing around for another bargain. Who wouldn't want to trade with us? I thought we were in the business of making our club better not others.

All the talk would have us believe that we are going to embark on a fire sale this trade period. Gee, i can't wait for trade week!

anfo27
12-09-2017, 02:43 PM
He's under contract in 2018 and there are at least 5 Vic based clubs publicly interested in him in light of the rumours that Stringer had coffee with SOS this morning. It has overs written all over it for the successful bidder.

You're dreaming Sedat if you think whoever gets Jake will be paying overs. Yep he's had a crap year & a half but there is nobody in the comp who can do what Jake does. Who can make goals out of nothing inside forward 50, then go into a centre bounce, win a clearance with lightning speed & kick a goal from 55-60m? There are players who can do one or the other, not both!

He will get it together eventually & if he goes he'll probably get it together earlier. He will tear the comp apart & everyone will be saying 'what did the doggies get for Jake again?'.

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 02:51 PM
He isn'e eligible for free agency next year TD.

I feel sick in the guts at the thought of Jake going. Whoever gets him will be getting the bargain of a lifetime. We love giving out bargains! Hrovat & Stevens are best 22 players for their new teams & we got nothing for them. Let me guess that all the teams we have a good trading relationship with will be sniffing around for another bargain. Who wouldn't want to trade with us? I thought we were in the business of making our club better not others.

All the talk would have us believe that we are going to embark on a fire sale this trade period. Gee, i can't wait for trade week!

Disagree, Hrovat's getting a game in a crap side ( big deal) and Stevens is what we have in spades . Fringe players getting a gig at another club . What were you expecting ? Hamling wants to go home ( out of contract, and an ill family member) Sydney are a team who also have the same motto, I give you Shane Biggs . I think supporters should stop drinking the copious amounts of media kool aid and just wait for the actual trade period .

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 02:52 PM
You're dreaming Sedat if you think whoever gets Jake will be paying overs. Yep he's had a crap year & a half but there is nobody in the comp who can do what Jake does. Who can make goals out of nothing inside forward 50, then go into a centre bounce, win a clearance with lightning speed & kick a goal from 55-60m? There are players who can do one or the other, not both!

He will get it together eventually & if he goes he'll probably get it together earlier. He will tear the comp apart & everyone will be saying 'what did the doggies get for Jake again?'.

Little bit presumptuous there

anfo27
12-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Disagree, Hrovat's getting a game in a crap side ( big deal) and Stevens is what we have in spades . Fringe players getting a gig at another club . What were you expecting ? Hamling wants to go home ( out of contract, and an ill family member) Sydney are a team who also have the same motto, I give you Shane Biggs . I think supporters should stop drinking the copious amounts of media kool aid and just wait for the actual trade period .

Crap or not both are best 22 players. Fact! What did i expect? Wasn't expecting much but we got nothing! Biggs would have been delisted & 16 other clubs didn't even know who Biggs was.

I personally think we are very ordinary at the trade table & teams rub their hands together when they know they are dealing with us.

anfo27
12-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Little bit presumptuous there

So is thinking we'll be the winners in trading Jake.

Sedat
12-09-2017, 03:02 PM

He can do all those things but he can also go completely missing for 60 minutes in a game. We're talking about someone who has been in the system for 5 years now, not a rookie. Will he ever get better and will he do it on a consistent basis? He's been average to poor for 2 years now.

Whether he stays or goes he will always be a premiership hero to me.

anfo27
12-09-2017, 03:13 PM
He can do all those things but he can also go completely missing for 60 minutes in a game. We're talking about someone who has been in the system for 5 years now, not a rookie. Will he ever get better and will he do it on a consistent basis? He's been average to poor for 2 years now.

Whether he stays or goes he will always be a premiership hero to me.

Two years is an exaggeration. He was good for the first half of last year but things went south once his relationship with his ex was over. He is only 23 & a father of 2 who doesn't get to see his kids everyday, if that was me i'd be a broken man. He needs to mature & have a settled family life but once that happens we've seen what he can do.

bornadog
12-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Crap or not both are best 22 players. Fact! What did i expect? Wasn't expecting much but we got nothing! Biggs would have been delisted & 16 other clubs didn't even know who Biggs was.

I personally think we are very ordinary at the trade table & teams rub their hands together when they know they are dealing with us.

Hrovat and Stevens are ordinary players that averaged under 20 disposals per game this year. Remi is right, we have plenty of those type of players.

We (supporters) tend to over rate our players.

Mantis
12-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Two years is an exaggeration. He was good for the first half of last year but things went south once his relationship with his ex was over. He is only 23 & a father of 2 who doesn't get to see his kids everyday, if that was me i'd be a broken man. He needs to mature & have a settled family life but once that happens we've seen what he can do.

How long do we give him to sort that side of his life out? If he isn't being a positive influence around the club at some point you have to cut your ties.

anfo27
12-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Hrovat and Stevens are ordinary players that averaged under 20 disposals per game this year. Remi is right, we have plenty of those type of players.

We (supporters) tend to over rate our players.

Yeah & we over rate the bloke doing the trading as well.

anfo27
12-09-2017, 03:27 PM
How long do we give him to sort that side of his life out? If he isn't being a positive influence around the club at some point you have to cut your ties.

How can you answer that? unless you're in the club you don't know if he is a positive influence on his team mates or a disruptive influence. I'd like to think we would exhaust all our options before we let go of someone of the ability of Jake & letting him go at 23 makes me think we aren't prepared to do that.

Mantis
12-09-2017, 03:44 PM
How can you answer that? unless you're in the club you don't know if he is a positive influence on his team mates or a disruptive influence. I'd like to think we would exhaust all our options before we let go of someone of the ability of Jake & letting him go at 23 makes me think we aren't prepared to do that.

I go on things I hear and the message coming out Jake's end of season review (which he reportedly walked out on) was that he doesn't train hard enough, is often late to training & rehab appointments, and with his output well below we think he can reach means he probably isn't being the positive influence we hope he would be... There are also countless other rumours about his lifestyle choices, many which I take with a grain of salt, but if you hear the same thing often enough... and from different sources, then there must be some truth in it.

I'm a lot older than Jake and possibly more mature, but I'm in the same situation that he's in with his family life and it isn't easy... but you have a responsibility to both your employer to perform your duties and to provide and support for your family and to just be a good dad... If Jake has a look in the mirror and ask those questions of himself I'm not sure he would be comfortable with the answer.

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 04:01 PM
So is thinking we'll be the winners in trading Jake.

I'm sort of waiting how it pans out .

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 04:04 PM

So you'd agree that we did well out of the Biggs deal ? Hamling was a delisted f/a( nobody wanted)
Out of interest what was a good trade for Stevens and Hrovat ? Taking into account neither were getting senior games at the time .

ledge
12-09-2017, 04:48 PM
I go on things I hear and the message coming out Jake's end of season review (which he reportedly walked out on) was that he doesn't train hard enough, is often late to training & rehab appointments, and with his output well below we think he can reach means he probably isn't being the positive influence we hope he would be... There are also countless other rumours about his lifestyle choices, many which I take with a grain of salt, but if you hear the same thing often enough... and from different sources, then there must be some truth in it.

I'm a lot older than Jake and possibly more mature, but I'm in the same situation that he's in with his family life and it isn't easy... but you have a responsibility to both your employer to perform your duties and to provide and support for your family and to just be a good dad... If Jake has a look in the mirror and ask those questions of himself I'm not sure he would be comfortable with the answer.

I went through a separation and my kids were 5 and 10 at the time .. Certainly made me more responsible and to grow up. Yes separation is hard and hurts to the core but you take a look inside yourself and do the right thing.
Has Jake ? It seems not.

LostDoggy
12-09-2017, 05:54 PM
I get the leeway given to him about his separation but that was long ago now and he had 6 months to mentally prepare for it before it was made public so as far as I'm concerned that'll do pig.

He is a professional AFL player and it's about time he acted like it. From what I'm told if true he well and truly needs a good kick up the arse.

I say we keep him, but be much tougher on him. I backing him to come good.

bornadog
12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
I get the leeway given to him about his separation but that was long ago now and he had 6 months to mentally prepare for it before it was made public so as far as I'm concerned that'll do pig.

He is a professional AFL player and it's about time he acted like it. From what I'm told if true he well and truly needs a good kick up the arse.

I say we keep him, but be much tougher on him. I backing him to come good.

What happens if he doesn't come good? How long do we give him? Or do we try and get a really good draft pick now that we can.

LostDoggy
12-09-2017, 06:11 PM
If he doesn't come good then it's because he doesn't want to. He is worth the punt to see his last year out and If he rates money highly then he definitely won't want another bad year on his resume.

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 07:22 PM
I went through a separation and my kids were 5 and 10 at the time .. Certainly made me more responsible and to grow up. Yes separation is hard and hurts to the core but you take a look inside yourself and do the right thing.
Has Jake ? It seems not.

Same here, and I've got two who were 9 and 12 at the time . It's tough,but kids are the priority. Jakes a lot younger than us,but he has a duty to his mates and club to do the right thing .

always right
12-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Regardless of where the fault lies my greatest concern is that we simply won't get a fair trade for someone who has enormous upside. Would much prefer our club to back itself to get the most out of Jake.....like Geelong did with Stevie J.

ratsmac
12-09-2017, 08:04 PM
I'm sort of waiting how it pans out .

I'm with you. No point in listening to he said she said baseless rumours.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Spencer delisted from Melbourne is a surprise to me and I would definitely like us to take a look, providing he checks out physically and in terms of his character - didn't he get suspended this year because of a misdemeanour?

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 08:51 PM
No thanks .

bulldogsthru&thru
12-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Article on the herald sun saying Libba and Dahl no chance in leaving. Libba assured the club he'll return to preseason 2 weeks early and in elite condition. Club apparently happy with where it sits. Stringer still gone.

Link is behind paywall but easy to find. Who knew Tom Williams was managing Libba? Couldn't be in better hands surely?

Bullies
12-09-2017, 09:05 PM
3AW just saying Jake and the club have agreed to part ways and to do the best deal possible. Won't get anywhere near what we should as clubs know it us trying to move him on.

1eyedog
12-09-2017, 09:07 PM
3AW just saying Jake and the club have agreed to part ways and to do the best deal possible. Won't get anywhere near what we should as clubs know it us trying to move him on.

Well Jake can always sit the year out in the VFL or do a Cam McCarthy if we don't like what we see. Need to hold our ground he's got value.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Well Jake can always sit the year out in the VFL or do a Cam McCarthy if we don't like what we see. Need to hold our ground he's got value.

Exactly. He's under contract and he has many suitors. There's pressure on the Saints & North that could land 'The Package', so if they blow the chance for their members to rejoice and potentially get a membership spike. It's one thing to have your media mates like Lloyd & Watson talk his value down, but there's another thing the piss away a real opportunity to get a marque player.

LostDoggy
Same here, and I've got two who were 9 and 12 at the time . It's tough,but kids are the priority. Jakes a lot younger than us,but he has a duty to his mates and club to do the right thing .

Yeah me too, if you go into it positively then the time you have with the kids can be dedicated and special.

Bullies
Well Jake can always sit the year out in the VFL or do a Cam McCarthy if we don't like what we see. Need to hold our ground he's got value. they won't retain him. If it is a fire sale they will take it. they don't want him there. it appears there are problems on the player front and the administration. the club now needs to say something.

LostDoggy
12-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Exactly. He's under contract and he has many suitors. There's pressure on the Saints & North that could land 'The Package', so if they blow the chance for their members to rejoice and potentially get a membership spike. It's one thing to have your media mates like Lloyd & Watson talk his value down, but there's another thing the piss away a real opportunity to get a marque player.

Has the report been confirmed anywhere?

bulldogtragic
12-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Has the report been confirmed anywhere?

Not sure officially. But I think the silence on this for two weeks has been enough for me to conclude that we are happy for the media to be talking his trade up. So let's a get a good deal and move on.

Topdog
12-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Not sure officially. But I think the silence on this for two weeks has been enough for me to conclude that we are happy for the media to be talking his trade up. So let's a get a good deal and move on.

When was the last time we came out in the media and said anything

bulldogtragic
12-09-2017, 09:20 PM
When was the last time we came out in the media and said anything

We could squash this with a press release. It's time to call the MFB there's so much smoke, that there has to be a fire.

LostDoggy
12-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Im usually glass half full but my inner pessimist sees two ironically funny options..

1. We trade jake for a donkey and two coconuts. Jake tears the competition up and destroys us with goals and swagger every time we play against him
2. We keep Jake. He plays 10 games per year between hammy and knee injuries as well as getting in a fight with Libba during the 2018 prelim against GWS that we lose by 2 points after stringer misses a set show 30m out on a slight angle on the siren.

Conclusion: We are still premiers.

Bullies
12-09-2017, 09:31 PM
When was the last time we came out in the media and said anything they probably do want to say something but the Pres might not let them. He has the final say.

bulldogsman
12-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Spencer delisted from Melbourne is a surprise to me and I would definitely like us to take a look, providing he checks out physically and in terms of his character - didn't he get suspended this year because of a misdemeanour?

Please no, he's a list clogger. He's 28 years old and has played 38 games across his career. He played just the two AFL games this year. He's worse then our current rucks.

comrade
12-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Does it matter if it's the club moving him on if there are 4-5 others willing to take him?

Remi Moses
12-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Brian Waldron said on SEN yesterday that Chris Maple has moved on . Clubs gone pretty quiet

Bullies
12-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Brian Waldron said on SEN yesterday that Chris Maple has moved on . Clubs gone pretty quiet Not looking good. There are a lot of rumblings in the football world about our football department/administration and how everyone is either ready to walk or doesn't get on. Stay tuned.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Brian Waldron said on SEN yesterday that Chris Maple has moved on . Clubs gone pretty quiet

Heard this too.

You or I might be in line for a playing and/or administrative position at this rate!

azabob
12-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Chris Maple has been a real Mr.Fix it. Would be disappointed if he has left.

comrade
12-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Chris Maple has been a real Mr.Fix it. Would be disappointed if he has left.

Given his promotion coincided with the year from hell, maybe he should have stuck to purely coaching.

Sedat
12-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Carlisle nabs pick 5, Yarran nabs pick 13. And Stringer is not worth a top 10 pick? He's younger, better, more versatile and actually successful with a flag in his back pocket.

So far we have 5 Vic clubs keen on him (a few who have a war chest to spend) and he's under contract with us in 2018. Pretty good hand of poker for us if you ask me.

EDIT - now Richmond and Collingwood have expressed interest. Easier to mention the Vic based clubs who aren't interested in him.

azabob
12-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Given his promotion coincided with the year from hell, maybe he should have stuck to purely coaching.

Did he have a choice in the change? He seemed to change his role at the club Year in year out.

If he has been asked to leave I think he is a scape goat considering his success as a VFL coach and development coach.

Bulldog4life
12-09-2017, 10:36 PM

Might have had a bad exit meeting.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Might have had a bad exit meeting.

Did anyone have a good exit meeting? How was the barista at the pound cafe this year?

Bulldog4life
12-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Did anyone have a good exit meeting? How was the barista at the pound cafe this year?

Only had one coffee there this year and it was a goodie. No problems there.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Only had one coffee there this year and it was a goodie. No problems there.

Take that Barrett. "Dogs lock in TPC barista for 2018 after breakout season"

bornadog
12-09-2017, 11:52 PM

I think there should be a change over of assistants. We need some new blood. These guys have been there for 5 years.

kruder
13-09-2017, 01:34 AM
The CEO is out the door too?

kruder
13-09-2017, 01:49 AM
If Jake is traded there is a massive hole in the TPP going forward as you would assume they would have left ~800K free for him. With the instability at the club this year I doubt we could come in late in the Josh Kelly race but there would be room to land a so called big fish thats for sure. In 2018 the likes of Lynch, Sloane, Gaff, McGovern, Gawn, McDonald and Brodie Smith are potentially up for grabs. Interesting times, but first we need to get our house in order thats for sure. Its a big trade period and season coming up for Bevo and Gordon the premiership feels long ago indeed.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 01:54 AM
I think there should be a change over of assistants. We need some new blood. These guys have been there for 5 years.

For only 1 flag!

azabob
13-09-2017, 06:41 AM

I agree BAD but Maple was footy manager not an assistant.

ledge
13-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Seems Bevo has bought in a few mates from his amatuer days over time , are they up to AFL standard and Have experience of the pressure involved?
I wasn't keen on us changing things after the premiership , the old saying don't change what isn't broken.
Does anyone know why Montgomery went?
He was very solid for us for years in all his roles.
We also had Stephenson moved on.
Garlick went suddenly.
Whats happening with Dalrymple and JMac?
If you actually look at our past three years there has been an issue ever year with someone .

Mofra
13-09-2017, 09:53 AM
If Jake is traded there is a massive hole in the TPP going forward as you would assume they would have left ~800K free for him. With the instability at the club this year I doubt we could come in late in the Josh Kelly race but there would be room to land a so called big fish thats for sure. In 2018 the likes of Lynch, Sloane, Gaff, McGovern, Gawn, McDonald and Brodie Smith are potentially up for grabs. Interesting times, but first we need to get our house in order thats for sure. Its a big trade period and season coming up for Bevo and Gordon the premiership feels long ago indeed.
Crameri is on $450k pa, although some of that may have been front-loaded.
We have cap space.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:00 AM
The CEO is out the door too?

I have read this a few times but where has it been reported?

BTW, he is not out the door, that sounds like a sacking. It is acknowledged at the club, Gary has done a fantastic job to stabilise the role. Gary was a board member who stepped into the role after a couple of disasters.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:01 AM
I agree BAD but Maple was footy manager not an assistant.

But has he left?

BTW, Chris Maple is coaching performance Manager

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Seems Bevo has bought in a few mates from his amatuer days over time , are they up to AFL standard and Have experience of the pressure involved?
I wasn't keen on us changing things after the premiership , the old saying don't change what isn't broken.
Does anyone know why Montgomery went?
He was very solid for us for years in all his roles.
We also had Stephenson moved on.
Garlick went suddenly.
Whats happening with Dalrymple and JMac?
If you actually look at our past three years there has been an issue ever year with someone .

* The only person I believe Bevo brought over was the women's coach.

* At the time it was reported Montgomery was chasing a senior coaching position, but who knows.

There are issues at every club with personnel, just like any wrk place. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

ledge
13-09-2017, 10:17 AM
* The only person I believe Bevo brought over was the women's coach.

* At the time it was reported Montgomery was chasing a senior coaching position, but who knows.

There are issues at every club with personnel, just like any wrk place. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Wasnt the VFL coach one of his old mates and I believe he bought in one of the boys from the amatuer team that plays in a band to some role as well.

ledge
13-09-2017, 10:19 AM

BTW, he is not out the door, that sounds like a sacking. It is acknowledged at the club, Gary has done a fantastic job to stabilise the role. Gary was a board member who stepped into the role after a couple of disasters.

Well looks like we have another disaster on our hands so it hasn't stabilised long term. And now he is leaving ?

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Wasnt the VFL coach one of his old mates and I believe he bought in one of the boys from the amatuer team that plays in a band to some role as well.

The VFL coach came from Collingwood and was previously with Freo.

STEVE GRACE - SENIOR VFL COACHSteve Grace joined the Western Bulldogs at the conclusion of the 2016 season, recruited to take on the role of Senior VFL Coach for the 2017 season.

Arriving from the Collingwood Football Club, Grace previously filled a number of development coaching positions at Fremantle Football Club from 2011 to 2013 before moving to the Holden Centre in 2014 as Defence Development Coach, and then Assistant Coach – Forwards in 2015 and 2016.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Well looks like we have another disaster on our hands so it hasn't stabilised long term. And now he is leaving ?

What disaster Ledge? One player asked to change his ways or leave?

ledge
13-09-2017, 10:37 AM
What disaster Ledge? One player asked to change his ways or leave?

Not if you go by other rumours. And there is a lot out there and they include players and staff.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Not if you go by other rumours. And there is a lot out there and they include players and staff.

Well best not to believe all the rumours it will drive you crazy.:D

Bullies
13-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Simon Lethlean for CEO is the mail. Not many last long though working with the Prez.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Simon Lethlean for CEO is the mail. Not many last long though working with the Prez.

Do you have a link to where Gary is stepping down?

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 10:51 AM

The easy solution is to stop listening to rumours. Discipline is important in what you choose to believe ledge.

The sky won't fall in. We'll be fine.

He'd be a good get. Just keep him away from the girls.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Libba and Dahl aren't going anywhere.

Neither Stringer nor the club has publicly said anything. I agree that the sheer amount of noise on him indicates its probably true but could be a ploy from his manager to get more money. Perhaps we low-balled him during the year due to his performance.

Don't know what is happening between Jmac and Dalrymple.

CEO was always in a transition role.

The rest is rumour and speculation at best.

ledge
13-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Well best not to believe all the rumours it will drive you crazy.:D

I don't believe them all but it's not good , I'm not even on Facebook and it's getting through and most come from this forum !
We all tend to believe the Stringer one though and he hasn't said a word!
nothings actually come out of the horses mouth or the club except to say stringer needs to be more committed.

Axe Man
13-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Article on the herald sun saying Libba and Dahl no chance in leaving. Libba assured the club he'll return to preseason 2 weeks early and in elite condition. Club apparently happy with where it sits. Stringer still gone.

Link is behind paywall but easy to find. Who knew Tom Williams was managing Libba? Couldn't be in better hands surely?

For anyone who hasn't seen it:

Western Bulldog Jake Stringer may be on the move but Tom Liberatore plans to return to 2016 form (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/western-bulldog-jake-stringer-may-be-on-the-move-but-tom-liberatore-plans-to-return-to-2016-form/news-story/b8bd5aa2707da78d2430112f4e23ecb6)

TOM Liberatore will return from a European holiday to start his pre-season early, adamant his long-term future lies at the Western Bulldogs.

Liberatore had an indifferent season where he was dropped at one stage. There is speculation about his future given the club’s determination to trade Jake Stringer.

After the side’s Round 23 loss coach Luke Beveridge said Liberatore had to work harder to maximise his undoubted talent.

But while the Dogs’ premiership hangover will see Stringer as collateral damage, Liberatore will stay put.

His manager Tom Williams told the Herald Sun he is determined to return to form next year, with the club on the same page about his future.

“Tom is happy at the Dogs,” said player manager Williams, a former key position player at the club.

“It might be people connecting dots but from our end we have got no issues. We haven’t requested anything from them.

“It was a tough year and he said (in his exit interview) he was looking forward to a break and he is going to come back two weeks early to get fit for pre-season.”

Liberatore and Luke Dahlhaus are both free agents next year but despite midyear discussions will park negotiations until they return to form.

Both parties are happy with that arrangement but it seems certain they will embark upon massive pre-seasons keen to rediscover their 2016 momentum.

Liberatore is overseas on holidays but has committed to returning to the first day of the pre-season in elite shape.

The Dogs have also made it clear to the Liberatore camp they have no plans to put him on the trade table.

Stringer, 23, has kicked 122 goals in the last three years, the 15th most in the league despite his ups and downs.

Beveridge has seemingly given up hope that he could lift his standards of professionalism.

The Dogs want as high a draft pick as possible with Essendon, St Kilda, Geelong and Collingwood all expressing some interest.

Essendon coach John Worsfold has spoken about Stringer.

“There’s not a big list out there, we’ll sift through those and say one do they fit into what we’re trying to build (and) are they possibly available for us,’’ he said.

“If Stringer is on that list, obviously, an All-Australian player we’ll have to seriously consider what he might offer us if he’s available.”

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson also said the club would have to consider him given his immense talent.

Teammate Mitch Wallis said last week of his future that “it’s still up in the air and he still has to really commit to the club”.

But the move to trade him has come from the club, with Stringer coming around to the fact he will have to look for a new home.

azabob
13-09-2017, 11:13 AM
But has he left?

BTW, Chris Maple is coaching performance Manager

I don't know If he has left. Didn't he replace Loewe after he left in mid January?

ledge
13-09-2017, 11:28 AM
I don't know If he has left. Didn't he replace Loewe after he left in mid January?

Didn't he replace Stephenson ?

bornadog
13-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Not sure Aza, I checked the website and they haven't updated everything, which is pretty poor. Loewe still on the website. You are right about Maple and his role is General Manager Football, not what is listed. I don't believe Maple has gone, but who knows.

Didn't he replace Stephenson ?

Stephenson was CEO, we were talking about Maple.

kruder
13-09-2017, 12:20 PM

I must say I really liked lethlean as operations manager killed Evans in his short time in the job. I think he stenghthens the club off field no doubt.

kruder
13-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Ive heard it on the radio a few times, I was asking the question I thought I may have been late to the party on this one.

Murphy'sLore
13-09-2017, 12:23 PM
It would break my heart if Dahlhaus left, after that hoarse, tearful speech on the field after premiership about how much he loves the club. Unless it was just the endorphins talking!

1eyedog
13-09-2017, 12:27 PM
There is nothing substantial about Dahl leaving from what I've read / heard?

bornadog
13-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Ive heard it on the radio a few times, I was asking the question I thought I may have been late to the party on this one.

I am surprised, as he didn't saying anything at a private business function I attended last week. I also spoke to his wife the week before, at the CBD Lunch, and she was so proud of all his achievements. Not saying it's not true, but don't read anything into it, as he was originally a caretaker CEO.

on Lethlean, he would be good.

ledge
13-09-2017, 12:40 PM
I am surprised, as he didn't saying anything at a private business function I attended last week. I also spoke to his wife the week before, at the CBD Lunch, and she was so proud of all his achievements. Not saying it's not true, but don't read anything into it, as he was originally a caretaker CEO.

on Lethlean, he would be good.

So he might just be going back onto the board as we have found a permanent CEO.
That's cool.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 12:41 PM
It would break my heart if Dahlhaus left, after that hoarse, tearful speech on the field after premiership about how much he loves the club. Unless it was just the endorphins talking!

Dahl won't be going anywhere

ledge
13-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Not sure Aza, I checked the website and they haven't updated everything, which is pretty poor. Loewe still on the website. You are right about Maple and his role is General Manager Football, not what is listed. I don't believe Maple has gone, but who knows.

Stephenson was CEO, we were talking about Maple.

Oops got confused sorry , Maple has an amazing record and had a great repore with this group.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Lachie Whitfield has signed to 2020.

Operation get Kelly, come on Jmac you can do it. Join his buddy The Bont, straight swap for Stringer. :)

azabob
13-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Is there a stat to determine Kelly's efficiency foot for longer kicks 30+ meters? For some reason I have in my head he isn't that flash over longer distances.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Is there a stat to determine Kelly's efficiency foot for longer kicks 30+ meters? For some reason I have in my head he isn't that flash over longer distances.

Not sure, but he is a beautiful kick of the ball.

DOG GOD
13-09-2017, 05:46 PM
And you know with Kelly he is going to use it well 95% of the time. Just what we need going into our fwd 50

kruder
13-09-2017, 05:58 PM
And you know with Kelly he is going to use it well 95% of the time. Just what we need going into our fwd 50

The problem is that you need some forwards to kick it to. In 15 I reckon we had one of the best forward lines in the comp, going into next year I'd suggest easily the lowest ranked. It's a question of, if we do have cap space where do we spend it? I'd back our midfield to regain their hunger get a skilled midfielder in the draft and spend the money on a forward to two. Forwards don't grow on trees though...

kruder
13-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Jake is on the table Bevo confirmed on the Herald Sun just now

ratsmac
13-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Well that just sucks :(

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Cool, now we have the currency to shake up trade weeks.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Cool, now we have the currency to shake up trade weeks.

Assuming someone watches over McCartney. I'm not confident we'll get a top 10 pick

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Assuming someone watches over McCartney. I'm not confident we'll get a top 10 pick

It might be pick 12 or better though. We've got some currency.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Forget Kelly, he's re-signed

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Booo

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Booo

Yep. Onto Peter Wright?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Yep. Onto Peter Wright?

Why not? all aboard!

Doc26
13-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Yep. Onto Peter Wright?

Is Wright unsigned?

ledge
13-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Would love to see Peter Wright and our boy Young up forward, Young might be playing back at the moment but I think the reasons for that are
1 he won't get smashed body wise playing forward, because his body isn't ready for it yet.
2 he is learning how a backman will counteract a forward and see how hard he has to work as a forward.
The kid has great hands long arms and seems to float and take the ball in one grab , extremely neat and clean.
Reads the play very well.

bornadog
14-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Not yet, he has delayed his signature, so can we work on him in the meantime. Some reports suggestion he will hang off till next week. Maybe will wait to see how the club fares on the weekend.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 12:38 PM
I can see where Gerard Whately expresses his opinion that Kelly will resign with GWS but nothing that says he has.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 04:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJukEZlUQAEV4C_.jpg