PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have JMac target this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

bornadog
15-09-2017, 04:24 PM
However, they are running this report a bit late as issues have been resolved.

Remi Moses
15-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Gotta say the trade whisper scuttlebutt is getting worse by the year .I think the news cycle has increased tenfold from a few years ago

hujsh
15-09-2017, 05:09 PM

That's interesting. Would feel better to see one sign a contract (one in particular)

bornadog
15-09-2017, 05:24 PM
That's interesting. Would feel better to see one sign a contract (one in particular)

Dal is contracted for 2018, JMac is up for renewal.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2017, 05:51 PM

Do you know that for sure BAD? I wasn't aware there was a problem in the first place

bornadog
15-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Do you know that for sure BAD? I wasn't aware there was a problem in the first place

Was reported last week and confirmed by a couple of people.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Was reported last week and confirmed by a couple of people.

Thanks

josie
15-09-2017, 06:48 PM
I know it has been mentioned for a few years now but could Club be entertaining thoughts of Watts in RWB? I think he is contracted but recall he was dropped late in year. He can mark, beautiful kick for goal, tall and mobile. If Demons obtain Lever and with as many good young players they have surely they are close to the wind with player payments? I reckon Bevo could bring out best in Watts. What would he be worth $wise and draft pick/player swap wise?

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 07:10 PM
I know it has been mentioned for a few years now but could Club be entertaining thoughts of Watts in RWB? I think he is contracted but recall he was dropped late in year. He can mark, beautiful kick for goal, tall and mobile. If Demons obtain Lever and with as many good young players they have surely they are close to the wind with player payments? I reckon Bevo could bring out best in Watts. What would he be worth $wise and draft pick/player swap wise?

I play with this idea from time to time. Maybe he needs a fresh start, with being dropped twice this year. Someone who can kick straight is a huge advantage. Although it would come down to trade cost. What's he worth?

azabob
15-09-2017, 07:52 PM
BT, how would you package Stringer and Watts up trade wise? Straight swap or?

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 08:02 PM
BT, how would you package Stringer and Watts up trade wise? Straight swap or?

Gee that's tough. Pick 1 vs Pick 5. Both second/third talls. Both had off field issues, particularly this year. Stringers ceiling is huge but is inconsistent, Watts on the other hand is more likely to offer consistency as the second or third tall but not mercurial. Watts makes his set shots really count, Stringer does not. Stringer can win a clearance and kick a 60m goal, Watts can not.

I hate to over valuable our own, but I think Stringer is worth more. Perhaps Stringer & 39 for Watts and 27 (early 3rd rounder for mid 2nd rounder)

Dogs: 9, 26, 27 & Watts
Dee's: 11, 39, 46 & Stringer

ledge
15-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Watts to me has all the class in the world but is as soft as butter from what I've seen.
Also Bevo wants players to run back,I'm Not sure watts is up to it .

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Watts to me has all the class in the world but is as soft as butter from what I've seen.
Also Bevo wants players to run back,I'm Not sure watts is up to it .

Could Bevo reinvent him as a player in role or attack? I think he's the sort that could be better at a second club where he hasn't got the 'pick 1' stigma attached. And he's talked about his preference for a coach like Bevo. He's had a better year than Stringer. He's taller and can take a turn in the ruck too. It's an interesting question if Jake leaves and Watts is identified as talent to replace the role needed.

azabob
15-09-2017, 09:15 PM
I like Watts. Issue we'd have is Watts would struggle as the 2nd forward.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 09:23 PM
I like Watts. Issue we'd have is Watts would struggle as the 2nd forward.

Our entire forward mix is a problem. If Stringer & Crameri are gone, our only mid sized forward is Dickson. We don't have a genuine quick small forward. We used unsuccessfully this year inside mids resting or coming back from injury like Smith, Dunkley, Wallis etc. we have Boyd, Cloke (I'm assuming those retirement rumours are off) & Redders who has limitations.

Bringing in Trengove as a defender may allow Adams & Young to get games up there which may allow Watts to be more effective, but we are banking on Lipinski & Greene to be our mid sized forwards if we can recruit one. The entire make up of our forward line needs addressing from personnel to structure.

SquirrelGrip
15-09-2017, 10:44 PM
If we have to deal with Geelong for Stringer, I'd be interested in kolodjashnij and Blicavs. KK can seriously play and Blicav's athleticism would help.

lemmon
16-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing if Mabior Chol from Richmond wants a bit of opportunity. I've rated him every time I've seen him play at VFL level

Twodogs
16-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing if Mabior Chol from Richmond wants a bit of opportunity. I've rated him every time I've seen him play at VFL level

What position does he play Lem?

lemmon
16-09-2017, 06:07 PM
What position does he play Lem?

He's a bit of a swingman at VFL level but I like him as a tall defender. Good above his head, zones off well and is a lovely field kick.

doughawkinswing
16-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Was hoping we'd have a go at Darcy Lang on the cheap, but he was pretty impressive yesterday, cats may want to hold.

GVGjr
16-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Was hoping we'd have a go at Darcy Lang on the cheap, but he was pretty impressive yesterday, cats may want to hold.

It's been reported today that like Menzel Lang hasn't had a decent offer put in front of him as the Cats look to clear salary cap room for a forward line that might look like Hawkins, Dangerfield, Ablett and Stringer in 2018.

Lang seems to be a pretty good player and at 21 the former number 16 pick from the 2013 draft might attract some interest.

Where would you seem him fitting in with us?

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2017, 07:08 PM
It's been reported today that like Menzel Lang hasn't had a decent offer put in front of him as the Cats look to clear salary cap room for a forward line that might look like Hawkins, Dangerfield, Ablett and Stringer in 2018.

Lang seems to be a pretty good player and at 21 the former number 16 pick from the 2013 draft might attract some interest.

Where would you seem him fitting in with us?
Wouldn't mind him as part of a trade for Geelong. Not a straight swap though

bornadog
16-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't mind him as part of a trade for Geelong. Not a straight swap though

Something with Crameri ?

bulldogtragic
16-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Me, I'd let them lose all their fringe players whilst we negotiate on Stringer to them. Maybe Crameri for Lang/Menzel. Ask GCS to hold off on GAJ. Then in the last hour if trade week when Menzel, Lang and others have gone I'd do this:

- Out offer the GCS trade wise and GAJ comes to us, or retires.
- Tell Stringer he's staying and not getting anywhere near Geelong.

Let them *!*!*!*! themselves as they burn their 'own' for the chance at another, and block them.

kruder
16-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Me, I'd let them lose all their fringe players whilst we negotiate on Stringer to them. Maybe Crameri for Lang/Menzel. Ask GCS to hold off on GAJ. Then in the last hour if trade week when Menzel, Lang and others have gone I'd do this:

Let them *!*!*!*! themselves as they burn their 'own' for the chance at another, and block them.

Our club better play hardball with Geelong its overs or nothing with them.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Our club better play hardball with Geelong its overs or nothing with them.

Hardball with anyone would be good. I understand being cooperative on fringe trades, but Tahleeya (1 pick improvement), Hrovat (5 pick improvement) and Stevens (net loss of draft points equal to a 4th rounder) are pointless. We may as well delist them and let the players go to their destination club as a delisted free agent rather than trade really. I get why we took it in all cases, but it's a lot of resources tied up for SFA.

Hopefully with alleged quality on the table in Crameri & Stringer we aren't taking 'the best we could in the circumstances'. It's an interesting period coming up and we need every little bit we can get.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2017, 10:34 PM
WCE facing a 100+ belting, relying on Mitchell & Priddis who are going. I think they need to hit the draft, I wonder if someone like Duggan might be floated to Victorian clubs looking for a good kicking runner?

Remi Moses
16-09-2017, 10:45 PM
There was talk of Gaff being up for trade ! I'd be shocked with the depth of the mids if that were true .

Remi Moses
16-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Hardball with anyone would be good. I understand being cooperative on fringe trades, but Tahleeya (1 pick improvement), Hrovat (5 pick improvement) and Stevens (net loss of draft points equal to a 4th rounder) are pointless. We may as well delist them and let the players go to their destination club as a delisted free agent rather than trade really. I get why we took it in all cases, but it's a lot of resources tied up for SFA.

Hopefully with alleged quality on the table in Crameri & Stringer we aren't taking 'the best we could in the circumstances'. It's an interesting period coming up and we need every little bit we can get.

Talia ? Anything we got is decent

kruder
16-09-2017, 10:49 PM
WCE facing a 100+ belting, relying on Mitchell & Priddis who are going. I think they need to hit the draft, I wonder if someone like Duggan might be floated to Victorian clubs looking for a good kicking runner?

They have that sameness about them thats for sure, I don't think Simpson puts faith in the kids enough.

Remi Moses
16-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Wouldn't think we'd get a lot for Crameri, but should play hardball on Stringer .

bornadog
16-09-2017, 11:57 PM
They have that sameness about them thats for sure, I don't think Simpson puts faith in the kids enough.

He doesn't have any. WC are a mess with an ageing list and very few kids coming through.

MrMahatma
17-09-2017, 12:25 AM
He doesn't have any. WC are a mess with an ageing list and very few kids coming through.

Was having banter texts with a few mates tonight. They've got a rag tag bunch of imports from Hawks, Blues, Roos, Pies, Lions, Swans...

I think they're rooted for the next few years. Could easily be bottom 4 next year.

Twodogs
17-09-2017, 12:57 AM

I like that very much. That would be a great outcome. Ablett bursting out of the middle and hitting Stringer on the chest.

They have a few we could look at. Apart from their stars they wouldn't trade they have some very good players they may consider trading for picks. They really do need some kids.

Twodogs
18-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Kelly has signed with GWS for 2 more years.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Boooo

Rockliff then.

bornadog
18-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Looks like not all players leave for the big money. Good on him for sticking with the group.

Rocket Science
18-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Storm gathering pace that Hinkley's about to walk out on Port for the Sunshine Coast.

If it becomes official, could there be other persons of interest on top of Trengove to shake out of Alberton amidst the fallout?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 12:52 PM
So Stringer is the biggest name on the trade tables, with Lever second. If Melbourne can lock Lever up quick, Stringer will be the biggest trade available. That should help increase his trade value as clubs like North & Saints have failed all year to get the big names.

Topdog
18-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Storm gathering pace that Hinkley's about to walk out on Port for the Sunshine Coast.

If it becomes official, could there be other persons of interest on top of Trengove to shake out of Alberton amidst the fallout?

Pretty much called out by the clown Koch who thinks he is a coach so wouldn't surprise. A real Koch rant

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 12:53 PM

Wingard.

Topdog
18-09-2017, 12:55 PM
So Stringer is the biggest name on the trade tables, with Lever second. If Melbourne can lock Lever up quick, Stringer will be the biggest trade available. That should help increase his trade value as clubs like North & Saints have failed all year to get the big names.

Like.

Wingard.

Double like.

Rocket Science
18-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Wingard.

Fingers crossed he's good mates with Jackson ...

Twodogs
18-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Is that "fingers crossed, (I understand that) he's good mates with Jackson" or "(I have my) fingers crossed (that) he's good mates with Jackson (and loved Ken Hinkley but hates the idea of living on the Gold Coast but has a strange fascination for living in a freezing cold and windswept industrial suburb west of Melbourne".) ?

Happy Days
18-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Wingard rules; if we were to look at Stringer leaving as a breach of duty where the compensation required would be to put us in as close a position as we would have been had the breach not occurred, then Wingard would likely be the order issued.

(I'm in a remedies lecture at the minute but this seems fair)

azabob
18-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Looks like not all players leave for the big money. Good on him for sticking with the group.

I think he signed for 800-900K per season. Not peanuts.

Twodogs
18-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Wingard rules; if we were to look at Stringer leaving as a breach of duty where the compensation required would be to put us in as close a position as we would have been had the breach not occurred, then Wingard would likely be the order issued.

I've never really thought about it but how does anyone pay attention in lectures anymore with iPads and phones to play with?

hujsh
18-09-2017, 02:13 PM
I've never really thought about it but how does anyone pay attention in lectures anymore with iPads and phones to play with?
Record and listen at 1.5 speed

Dry Rot
18-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Impey is that.

Apparently Trengove gave a commitment to his father to look after him.

Should we try to get him?

Happy Days
18-09-2017, 02:23 PM

When you're getting stung $500 a pop then you find a way. That and a decent web-blocker.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 02:24 PM

I posted their stats recently. They are so close in almost every stat, it's almost uncanny.

bornadog
18-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Hinkley now has a 3 year extension on his contract with Port. Shows you how much the journos know

Rocket Science
18-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Hinkley now has a 3 year extension on his contract with Port. Shows you how much the journos know

Ha. Much to the chagrin of the Port faithful.

Strap in, it's gonna be a looooong month.

For entertainment value perhaps we need a thread dedicated to media bluster that fizzles in the atmosphere and burns up before hitting the deck. Though I fear we won't have the bandwidth to accomodate it.

Remi Moses
18-09-2017, 06:30 PM
The media are getting worse

Twodogs
18-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Wow. How wrong was my information, I was told he was happy to go. Hinkley must be a helluva poker player.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 06:42 PM
So we weren't linked to Martin & Fyfe. Lever is apparently Melbourne bound and Kelly has knocked back all comers, presumably including us. The only big name player is Stringer and he's outbound - put your bids in clubs. The only players we are linked to are Trengove & Crozier, who are good honest footballers.

I wonder why we can't attract or persuade really good players to the kennel?

Rocco Jones
18-09-2017, 06:49 PM
So we weren't linked to Martin & Fyfe. Lever is apparently Melbourne bound and Kelly has knocked back all comers, presumably including us. The only big name player is Stringer and he's outbound - put your bids in clubs. The only players we are linked to are Trengove & Crozier, who are good honest footballers.

I wonder why we can't attract or persuade really good players to the kennel?

Perception > reality and whatever the actual story is, we are not a destination club at the moment. Need to rely on $$, moneyball and/or start negotiations with players.

GVGjr
18-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Would Jack Watts be worth having a chat to? Melbourne are apparently willing to consider offers.
He's a good lead up forward in the role that Crameri should have been able to play plus he is a good kick for goal. His kicking into the forward line is typically pretty solid.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Would Jack Watts be worth having a chat to? Melbourne are apparently willing to consider offers.
He's a good lead up forward in the role that Crameri should have been able to play plus he is a good kick for goal. His kicking into the forward line is typically pretty solid.

Azabob and I were having this chat on the weekend some time about Watts & Stringer. I'd look at it for the price. Both Stringer & Watts had a down years, but their stats were identical or just in Watts favour. I think Watts needs a new home and a Bevo like coach to climb that rind he can't do at Melbourne. Maybe Bevo could have a new role for him?

The price is the only issue. If we could do the Tigers trade points deal for 15 & 16, then I'd be happy to offer 16. They can package 11 & 16 for Lever. So everyone's a winner.

We still have 15 & 39, Watts, Trengove and whatever for Stringer if he's out the door. Hopefully a quality midfielder.

GVGjr
18-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Azabob and I were having this chat on the weekend some time about Watts & Stringer. I'd look at it for the price. Both Stringer & Watts had a down years, but their stats were identical or just in Watts favour. I think Watts needs a new home and a Bevo like coach to climb that rind he can't do at Melbourne. Maybe Bevo could have a new role for him?

The price is the only issue. If we could do the Tigers trade points deal for 15 & 16, then I'd be happy to offer 16. They can package 11 & 16 for Lever. So everyone's a winner.

We still have 15 & 39, Watts, Trengove and whatever for Stringer if he's out the door. Hopefully a quality midfielder.

Melbourne would take pick 26 for Watts in my opinion. I don't think we would need a first pick for them. They will get Lever with a first and 2nd rounder.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Melbourne would take pick 26 for Watts in my opinion. I don't think we would need a first pick for them. They will get Lever with a first and 2nd rounder.

Pick 26 for Watts would be a no brainer. I'd do it today. Even more so if Crameri & Stringer are gone.

The Doctor
18-09-2017, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't use 26 on Watts

Go_Dogs
18-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't use 26 on Watts

Agreed, better to go the draft or use it to upgrade another deal.

I don't mind Watts as a player, but if it means we miss out on McLean or Dale or Daniel, (ie. a quality Dal selection) it would hurt us, and the draft seems like it bats fairly deep for solid contributors well into that range.

azabob
18-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Pick 26 for Watts would be a no brainer. I'd do it today. Even more so if Crameri & Stringer are gone.

I'd also do that trade. Watts has his limitations but he uses the ball extremely well and makes good decisions. Something we currently lack

boydogs
18-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Wow. How wrong was my information, I was told he was happy to go. Hinkley must be a helluva poker player.

That's not true either

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-18/hinkley-denies-power-deal-reached-just-yet/8957700

Twodogs
18-09-2017, 08:22 PM

I'm torn because there is a very good player in there somewhere. We'd have to give up a pretty precious draft pick in order to get him and I just back Dal to come up with gems around that mark because he does it so well. If we had a few dradt picks around that mark (because that would be a fair deal for Watts.) I'd be more inclined.

What about a player swap? Campbell or Crameri and a swap of third rounders maybe? Although it'd only be one or two places. Or maybe something back as well as Watts? A pick in the 40s maybe. I'd still back Dal in with that.

That's not true either

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-18/hinkley-denies-power-deal-reached-just-yet/8957700

Good one. My information might still be right.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 08:25 PM
^^^

Essendon: Crameri & 39
Dogs: 28 & 65

28 for Watts. Keeping 9 & 26 & 65 around Trengove & Watts (Stringer?)

Bullies
18-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Lets hope Dalrymple and McCartney talk before the draft as by all accounts they haven't spoken all year and one is the recruiting officer and the other the list Manager. I take it one won't be there next year.

Dry Rot
18-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I'd take a punt on Watts for a second rounder and not a massive salary. Change of scene + Bevo might be good for him. And us.

If we could get Trengove + Watts + speed (Saad? Impey?), we'd look a bit better next year.

Open to using pick #9 on another suitable trade, but not Gaff. Poor kicking.

azabob
18-09-2017, 10:34 PM
DR, I wouldn't be chasing Impey. Poor decision making and poor skills. We already have too many of those on our list.

bornadog
18-09-2017, 10:43 PM
That's not true either

So many conflicting reports

bornadog
18-09-2017, 10:44 PM
I'd also do that trade. Watts has his limitations but he uses the ball extremely well and makes good decisions. Something we currently lack

Me too, I don't think we need to many young players at the moment, we have some needs.

kruder
18-09-2017, 11:02 PM
The interesting thing about Watts he is another player that has struggled with the demands of a professional sport. He was out of the side earlier in the year because of his lack of preparation although not quite at Stringers supposed levels I'm not quite sure we are in a position to bring him in. As a player he strengths would complement us well but at a time when Bevo has made a statement to the group is Jack the type of person you want to bring in to your club?

LostDog
18-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Liam Ryan from subiaco

bornadog
18-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Western Bulldogs park contract discussions with Jason McCartney but deny rift (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-park-contract-discussions-with-jason-mccartney-but-deny-rift-20170918-gyjt2l.html)

The Western Bulldogs have revealed contract discussions with list manager Jason McCartney have been parked until after next month's trade period but insist he and recruiting chief Simon Dalrymple are working well together.

Friction between McCartney and Dalrymple has been speculated for months, particularly when the Bulldogs' premiership campaign slipped and they missed the finals.

Dalrymple is contracted through until the end of 2019 but McCartney will be off-contract in December.

Where several clubs have the one person in charge of list management and recruiting, the Bulldogs have split the roles, sparking speculation the pair have clashed over individual players and overall recruiting philosophy.

However, Bulldogs director of football Chris Grant told Fairfax Media the pair, while not close, had been able to work cohesively.

He said the pair had "had their disagreements and difference of opinion over the years" but were "completely fine" when working together.

"They both actually get on much better than what has been reported. They respect each other's roles. We have been able to have both of them conduct themselves to the point of actually formulating a pretty good list. It's important that everybody is aware they get on OK," he said on Monday.

"They are not best mates but they get on OK. They have worked together for the best part of six years. Simon is absolutely keen to stay, that's why we re-contracted him 18 months ago, and Jason is really keen to stay, too.

"Where his contract lies will be a discussion that we pick up post-trade period. It's a lot more positive than what the rumour and innuendo is."

McCartney's role involves pro-scouting, which is assessing potential recruits that are in the AFL system or those who have fallen out of the league. He is also involved in re-contracting players, where it's understood he raised eyebrows last year when he made his displeasure clear to one high-profile player as to why he had not re-signed.

Dalyrmple's role is more to assess under-18 talent and mature-age recruits who have not been involved with other AFL clubs.
The two men then report to the list management committee chaired by Grant, the former skipper and club great.

They are not best mates but they get on OK. They have worked together for the best part of six years. Simon is absolutely keen to stay, that's why we recontracted him 18 months ago, and Jason is really keen to stay, too.

Grant said the Bulldogs were assessing whether McCartney's role remained the same or he took on more responsibility in terms of list management, although this would not impact on Dalrymple.

The Dogs are set for a busy trade period, with the club and forwardJake Stringer expected to split and each seek the best deal possible. The Dogs told Stringer he was capable of improved and more consistent performances and that could be achieved with the Bulldogs but he needed to work out whether he wanted to remain. There is no deadline for a decision.

Geelong and Essendon have emerged as potential suitors. The Cats have also been linked with Gary Ablett, Devon Smith and Tom Rockliff.

Midfielder Tom Liberatore, contracted until the end of 2018, has also been the subject of trade speculation but Grant said that "was not even a consideration".

The hard nut midfielder had an indifferent season, averaging 17 disposals in 18 matches, and it's felt he needs to add greater versatility to his game.

The Dogs have supported Liberatore through his off-field issues and believe, at 25, he is ready to play his best football.

GVGjr
18-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Lets hope Dalrymple and McCartney talk before the draft as by all accounts they haven't spoken all year and one is the recruiting officer and the other the list Manager. I take it one won't be there next year.

Check the Age website. Speculation that they haven't spoken is so far off the mark it's funny.
Chris Grant has cleared that one up

Rocket Science
18-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Jeezus, does anyone at the club get along right now?

McCartney sounds gone. And letting him conduct our next month before walking sounds fraught to say the least.

bornadog
19-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Check the Age website. Speculation that they haven't spoken is so far off the mark it's funny.
Chris Grant has cleared that one up

I posted the article in the previous post to yours

macca
19-09-2017, 02:20 AM
Impey He fumbled a lot during the final against west coke. No outstanding traits which would attract us

Bullies
19-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Jeezus, does anyone at the club get along right now?

McCartney sounds gone. And letting him conduct our next month before walking sounds fraught to say the least. In their roles if they can't work together one has to go. They go hand in hand.

bornadog
19-09-2017, 11:30 AM
That's not true either

Hinkley now confirmed with a 3 year extension.

G-Mo77
19-09-2017, 11:35 AM
In their roles if they can't work together one has to go. They go hand in hand.

They just have to be professionals. There is nowhere that says they have to have family BBQ's together. There are people at my work I wouldn't give the time of day if I didn't work with them, I still go in and get the job done and go home.

Twodogs
19-09-2017, 11:45 AM
They just have to be professionals. There is nowhere that says they have to have family BBQ's together. There are people at my work I wouldn't give the time of day if I didn't work with them, I still go in and get the job done and go home.

Exactly. We aren't expecting them to send each other Christmas cards, just for them to work together. I have great professional relationships with people I wouldn't socialise with. In fact they are better professional relationships because there is no other aspect to them, it's because we don't waste time on niceties and great straight down to work. Im not at work to make friends.

Rocket Science
19-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Of course everybody need not be best mates but is the friction between McCartney & Dalrymple a demarcation dispute?

How the club can be comfortable with JMac entering the next super-critical month of list shaping with no apparent plans or commitments between the two beyond it?

bornadog
20-09-2017, 05:35 PM
WC - Eric Mackenzie signs new one-year deal.

MrMahatma
20-09-2017, 06:39 PM
How the club can be comfortable with JMac entering the next super-critical month of list shaping with no apparent plans or commitments between the two beyond it?

Surely given the end date of his contract, this was always likely to be the case? What's the alternative? Sack him early and pay him out, then pay someone else to do it?

Twodogs
20-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Of course everybody need not be best mates but is the friction between McCartney & Dalrymple a demarcation dispute?

You're not going to get many job offers if you have a reputation for dicking your current employer around.

Rocket Science
20-09-2017, 07:18 PM
You're not going to get many job offers if you have a reputation for dicking your current employer around.

Sure, but you'd reckon if McCartney is out the door it'd have already been all but bedded down by now, or at least the consequence of some rather strong interest.

GVGjr
20-09-2017, 07:33 PM

I don't see much of an issue with it. There is a committee that oversees the trading period and no deal gets done without acceptance. He's a very professional guy and I believe he has mapped out all the potential trade targets.

We might need to have someone with him during all discussions but he won't be half arsed.

There is a still a reasonable chance he will stay.

ratsmac
20-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I don't see much of an issue with it. There is a committee that oversees the trading period and no deal gets done without acceptance. He's a very professional guy and I believe he has mapped out all the potential trade targets.

We might need to have someone with him during all discussions but he won't be half arsed.

There is a still a reasonable chance he will stay.

Yeah I'd be having Chris Grant sitting in on every meeting he has.

ledge
20-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Report I read was he hadn't signed due to the role being changed a little and they were working through it with him.
A kind of restructure of the job, no big deal.

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Carlton are of course leading the charge for Devon Smith and 2nd year player Matthew Kennedy from GWS but I wonder if Devon Smith might be worth us having a talk to?

He's player 109 games, kicked 100 goals and he is looking for more time in playing in the middle.

Is he a player would J-Mac should have on the radar?

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Carlton are of course leading the charge for Devon Smith and 2nd year player Matthew Kennedy from GWS but I wonder if Devon Smith might be worth us having a talk to?

He's player 109 games, kicked 100 goals and he is looking for more time in playing in the middle.

Is he a player would J-Mac should have on the radar?

A few of us have mentioned him. We badly need a small forward and he's probably the best gettable one. I'm not sure we can offer him more midfield time though.

Sedat
23-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Devon Smith - runs one way, too inconsistent between games, minimal defensive pressure.

comrade
23-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Devon Smith - runs one way, too inconsistent between games, minimal defensive pressure.

Perfect replacement for Stringer then :D

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 10:38 AM

I haven't watched him closely but as a small forward he seems to apply a fair bit of defensive pressure. If he only runs one way then I agree he's not the player for us. We need mids capable of getting involved by running hard into the back line when needed.

I thought he might have been a good option to interchange with Dahlhaus

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 10:40 AM
A few of us have mentioned him. We badly need a small forward and he's probably the best gettable one. I'm not sure we can offer him more midfield time though.

I'll bow to Sedat's assessment and happily rule a line through him but I think we could have found a decent split between forward and midfield duties for him.

ledge
23-09-2017, 12:13 PM
To be fair we don't know what the coaches instructions are to Smith , he might be the one told to run forward at every opportunity.
Therefore backs his players to get the ball and when they don't or stuff it up he looks bad.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 12:39 PM
With me Sedat?

I wonder if Motlop could go to a HBF? He's stagnated a bit like Varcue did down there. But Varcoe improved by using run and carry off the HBF. I'm not sold on him as a forward, but with the game ahead being played ahead of him, can he launch off the HBF line with with JJ & Williams to add pace off that line? Moving Suckers to the wing HFF and not worry too much bout the defensive side. Is his kicking reliable enough for the role?

I'd take Cockatoo off a HFF until his body matures a bit more.

anfo27
23-09-2017, 12:46 PM
With me Sedat?

I wonder if Motlop could go to a HBF? He's stagnated a bit like Varcue did down there. But Varcoe improved by using run and carry off the HBF. I'm not sold on him as a forward, but with the game ahead being played ahead of him, can he launch off the HBF line with with JJ & Williams to add pace off that line? Moving Suckers to the wing HFF and not worry too much bout the defensive side. Is his kicking reliable enough for the role?

I'd take Cockatoo off a HFF until his body matures a bit more.

Can't see Motlop playing on someone in the back half. He would get exposed big time. He was impressive the last 2 finals & has a big tank so worth considering. The last 2 games have increased his worth by a fair margin.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Can't see Motlop playing on someone in the back half. He would get exposed big time. He was impressive the last 2 finals & has a big tank so worth considering. The last 2 games have increased his worth by a fair margin.

That's my issue with Motlop. I wouldn't take him based on his career to date, especially as a forward. I think Sedat was thinking a new role as a midfielder. But is there a new role where our club could take him on that potential, midfielder of HBF? I don't know, especially if he's wanting $600,000+

ledge
23-09-2017, 01:06 PM
That's my issue with Motlop. I wouldn't take him based on his career to date, especially as a forward. I think Sedat was thinking a new role as a midfielder. But is there a new role where our club could take him on that potential, midfielder of HBF? I don't know, especially if he's wanting $600,000+

He might want 600,000 doesn't mean he will get it.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 01:11 PM
He might want 600,000 doesn't mean he will get it.

Not sure. Chris Mayne & Ty Vickery got $500,000 last year, and with the CBA rising 20%, that's $600,000. Is he worth about what Mayne & Vickery got? I can see someone paying it, or close to it. But unless there's a new string to his bow, I hope it's not us.

bulldogsman
23-09-2017, 01:15 PM
I haven't watched him closely but as a small forward he seems to apply a fair bit of defensive pressure. If he only runs one way then I agree he's not the player for us. We need mids capable of getting involved by running hard into the back line when needed.

I thought he might have been a good option to interchange with Dahlhaus

I'm with you. I think he puts on a good amount of pressure from what I've seen and would consider him. He averages over 4.5 tackles a game across his career, that's quite a high number for a small forward/mid.

kruder
23-09-2017, 01:17 PM

The other issue for mine about Devon is that he continuously burns players in better positions when going inside 50, like a lot of players at GWS lacks that team element.

macca
23-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Someone mentioned jack lonie, his just re-signed with the saints.
Devon smith wants more midfield time. I have concerns with his defensive abilities , so he could be a liability in he midfield . Could he be used as the outside player ? His very quick and a good Long kick

Sedat
23-09-2017, 01:27 PM
I just like his tank and his pace - we are in short supply of both in the midfield. Age profile is good as well.

He gets very harshly marked with he tries to be too creative with a dinky little kick and turns it over. But he runs incredibly hard both ways and is lightning quick. He is also very neat by foot when he keeps it simple. I see him as a Tom Scully clone on the wing. He has his faults but I reckon the positives outweigh them, and his positives are what we lack.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Agree on Motlop - hope we are interested, so long as he's committed.

I like Dev Smith but I'd be weary about his body, having spoken to him a while ago he's had ongoing knee issues for quite a while now.

macca
24-09-2017, 02:42 AM
What has happened to Reece conca? He would find it hard now to break into the tigers team. A good kick and high draft pick.

Vlaustin and Ellis have taken the rebounding half back roles .

bulldogtragic
24-09-2017, 02:53 AM
What has happened to Reece conca? He would find it hard now to break into the tigers team. A good kick and high draft pick.

Talent, yes. Body capable of playing afl, no. He's somewhere near Tom Williams in terms of injuries and fragility unfortunately for him, and Richmond.

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 04:43 AM

Vlaustin would suit us. I know that's not why you named him but seeing his name reminds me how good he'd look in the tricolour.

G-Mo77
24-09-2017, 09:35 AM
If we're after someone from Richmond who could probably be pryed away I'd be looking at Llyod.

Remi Moses
24-09-2017, 11:21 AM
No defensive pressure, hence why he doesn't get a game

lemmon
24-09-2017, 12:23 PM
If we're after someone from Richmond who could probably be pryed away I'd be looking at Llyod.

Yep, I rate him. Reminds me a bit of Higgins

G-Mo77
24-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Still has a ton of positives to his game and actually knows where the goals are.

Doc26
24-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Due largely to his lack of speed. We don't need another slow mid sized forward.

GVGjr
24-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Lloyd has started the game well. In fact a few of the Richmond boys have stood out. Go Dogs was interested in Shai Bolton last year and he adds a bit of spark close to goal

Remi Moses
24-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Gee the tiges are stacked with small quick forwards . Just digressing, that was an epic win from port

W W Biscuit
25-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Anyone know why Anthony Anastasio has never been given a go at AFL level? I know he is Caleb Daniel small, but he's got some zip and some smarts. I like him as a player.

GVGjr
25-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Anyone know why Anthony Anastasio has never been given a go at AFL level? I know he is Caleb Daniel small, but he's got some zip and some smarts. I like him as a player.

Not to my knowledge

Dry Rot
25-09-2017, 03:36 PM
FWIW, If I was the boss of the suns and assuming Ablett is leaving...

They have a good spine IIRC, need good mids now. Don't think they have time to do a rebuild, club will fold.

They have lots of second round picks and a good first round pick this year. I'd therefore be trying to pry a few good mids, mid twenties year old, from clubs, even if I had to pay overs in picks and salaries to entice them up there.

Say from us, I'd be trying to get one or two of Dahl, Libba or Wallis (not saying that we should do that), or like players from other clubs.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Sometimes teams trade for guys who play well against them

On that logic - Andrew Gaff has polled 6 out of a max 6 votes against us in 2017 - he's rumoured to be potentially on the move - could we be in the market?

I'd spew if we went for Smith - seems to want the game on his own terms and doesn't work back the other way

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 12:11 AM
FWIW, If I was the boss of the suns and assuming Ablett is leaving...

They have a good spine IIRC, need good mids now. Don't think they have time to do a rebuild, club will fold.

They have lots of second round picks and a good first round pick this year. I'd therefore be trying to pry a few good mids, mid twenties year old, from clubs, even if I had to pay overs in picks and salaries to entice them up there.

Say from us, I'd be trying to get one or two of Dahl, Libba or Wallis (not saying that we should do that), or like players from other clubs.

That's exactly the sort of player they should be targeting. Players who get their hands on the ball first at the contest.

Sedat
26-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Sometimes teams trade for guys who play well against them
AKA the Daniel Bandy rule.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 07:58 AM
We've put forward a good offer to Trengove and given he helps us out in a couple of positions I think it's a solid move.
That being said, even with Stringer looking like being a departure, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth chasing other big names or just focusing more on the draft and looking for a low key trade or two instead.

With the likes of Motlop, Menzel, Devon Smith, Watts and Lang all having limited appeal and Rockcliff looking very unlikely I don't think there is necessarily a quick fix for us. Is there is some merit in just adding some depth in a couple of positions but leaning more towards focusing on the draft?

We got English, Lipinski, Young and Greene via the draft last year so there is plenty of upside there but they will need another year. Dunkley, Collins, Adams and Williams from the previous year are very close to the mark so with an emerging list we might as well go to the draft in the strongest possible position.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on if we should go hard at trading for players or if it should be more about the draft and topping up in a couple of positions?

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 08:10 AM
I know this probably won't be a popular comment but I wouldn't be against having Ryan Griffen back at the club at the right price.
I hate the thought of him being used as a sweetener for the Blues which is being reported.

If we think we could get him fit we could run him off a half back flank.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2017, 08:49 AM
I know this probably won't be a popular comment but I wouldn't be against having Ryan Griffen back at the club at the right price.
I hate the thought of him being used as a sweetener for the Blues which is being reported.

Had the same thought yesterday when I saw he might be on the move. It's a risk and may not get a lot out of him, but if he can stay fit and play a role he could free up some other players and add some experience down back where we are very light on.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2017, 08:52 AM
We've put forward a good offer to Trengove and given he helps us out in a couple of positions I think it's a solid move.
That being said, even with Stringer looking like being a departure, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth chasing other big names or just focusing more on the draft and looking for a low key trade or two instead.

With the likes of Motlop, Menzel, Devon Smith, Watts and Lang all having limited appeal and Rockcliff looking very unlikely I don't think there is necessarily a quick fix for us. Is there is some merit in just adding some depth in a couple of positions but leaning more towards focusing on the draft?

We got English, Lipinski, Young and Greene via the draft last year so there is plenty of upside there but they will need another year. Dunkley, Collins, Adams and Williams from the previous year are very close to the mark so with an emerging list we might as well go to the draft in the strongest possible position.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on if we should go hard at trading for players or if it should be more about the draft and topping up in a couple of positions?

If the players we want (or types) aren't available then we should definitely go in via the draft. I'd be happy with the approach you outlined and if we can pick up another good pick for this year or next, that will give us a very solid platform to add another 2-4 top end players via the draft who will be able to have an impact as some of our younger stars now enter their prime.

No point trading if it doesn't significantly improve the list over the next 1-3 years and while we struggled this year, on balance our list is strong with a high ceiling so we can continue to take a longer term view.

The Doctor
26-09-2017, 09:29 AM

It's better for us and the comp if Griffen and his salary stay at the Giants. That will force out another young gun or two.

I was filthy with Carlton taking on Rhys Palmer last year to help them.

I doubt Griffen would be welcomed back after the manner in which he left anyhow

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2017, 09:54 AM
It's better for us and the comp if Griffen and his salary stay at the Giants. That will force out another young gun or two.

The only reason Carlton get the gws assets so cheaply is that they were prepared to take on salary to help the giants out

Comparatively they haven't traded much to get Marchbank et al

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 09:55 AM

I would expect that GWS would need to pay a significant chunk of Griffen salary so I don't see that as an issue however, if by taking the full contract I wonder if we could be part of and sweetener on offer.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2017, 10:00 AM
I would expect that GWS would need to pay a significant chunk of Griffen salary so I don't see that as an issue however, if by taking the full contract I wonder if we could be part of and sweetener on offer.

For me it has to be part of another deal - either buying an early pick because gws don't want or need it this year or a player we value

I don't want Devon Smith but it could put us in a three or four team swap involving him

I've never thought Griff was a bad guy and I'm also not opposed to him coming back at the right price - Bevo could plug him into the Marty Boyd role

Topdog
26-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Staggered that people could want a deserting captain to come back

Mofra
26-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Ditto, mentioned something similar yesterday. He'd be a direct replacement for Matty Boyd subject to his back holding up (still not convinced).

Mofra
26-09-2017, 10:22 AM
I blame B-Mac's treatment of him more than anything else. Griff's not the brightest bear in the forest and his move got us Bevo & Tom Boyd so I'll cut him a little slack.

Rocket Science
26-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Even setting emotion aside, the bloke can't even get on the park and is so debilitated and broken down he's got one foot in the footballing grave. Let alone his own emotional and motivational state, which we've some familiarity with.

If we're remotely open to pondering a return we've got much bigger problems that we think.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 10:27 AM

I get that sentiment but Griffen showed all the signs of someone not coping with the pressure of being a leader at a club where players were expecting him to stand up and be counted. He was never a great choice as being a captain.
I think we might be able to find a home for someone who played great footy for us. He would just have to be someone who follows the leaders not be a leader.

bornadog
26-09-2017, 10:33 AM

A big no from me as well.

bornadog
26-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Unless we can get an A grader, perhaps we just hit the draft and stick to getting some young players in and build for the future.

I would also look at a rookie spot for another ruckman from either the VFL/SANL/WAFL.

G-Mo77
26-09-2017, 11:29 AM
I get that sentiment but Griffen showed all the signs of someone not coping with the pressure of being a leader at a club where players were expecting him to stand up and be counted. He was never a great choice as being a captain.
I think we might be able to find a home for someone who played great footy for us. He would just have to be someone who follows the leaders not be a leader.

No. Not welcome. They say time heels wounds, he's got a long time to go before most supporters say all is good. People still hate Nathan Brown and he just asked for a trade the right way.

anfo27
26-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Nobody would know better than our medical team how cooked Ryan's body is. Part of the reason he left was because we knew his body was shot. I'm not one who has a disliking for Ryan & he did give us good service but its a reality his body is finished.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 11:32 AM
No. Not welcome. They say time heels wounds, he's got a long time to go before most supporters say all is good. People still hate Nathan Brown and he just asked for a trade the right way.

Actually no, all year Brown said he would stay if Darcy did but he was never going to do that. Very different but I get it's not a popular suggestion.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-09-2017, 11:36 AM
The manner in which Griffen left the Club after being our best player and Captain was extremely disappointing. His form has fallen away at GWS. A renewed Griffen would however add some urgently needed support to Bont in the midfield and experience at the same time without Murphy and Matthew Boyd.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-09-2017, 11:44 AM

As suggested we have done very well with our recruitment over the past two years and you would want to make this approach a priority again. There is however an urgent need for a quality forward particularly with the prospect of Stringer going and doubts on whether Crameri and Dickson are going to improve. Similarly there has developed a lack of support for Bontempelli in the midfield with players like Liberatore Dunkley and Jong needing a big lift for us to regain our competitive edge.

DOG GOD
26-09-2017, 11:47 AM
For mine, griffen has "Deledio" written all over him. Just about stuffed and will be lucky to play 8 games next year...with Morris still down back that "needed" experience is still there...and ofcourse we are all unsure what another year will do to Morris...Boyd had a massive decline...can't see the point of carrying Griffen on the list if Morris struggles too.

DOG GOD
26-09-2017, 11:49 AM
The forward line for me is the problematic area we are facing. Too slow ATM, and with stringer/Crameri pretty much gone, it needs a massive overhaul. Good kicks a must and pacey. JJ and a Motlop on the HFF is the type of thing required, with a pacey forward pocket to keep the ball inside 50. Can't have the Wallis/smith/Dunkley types festering the fwd 50, especially if redpath/Cloke/Boyd are in there as well.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 12:05 PM
As suggested we have done very well with our recruitment over the past two years and you would want to make this approach a priority again. There is however an urgent need for a quality forward particularly with the prospect of Stringer going and doubts on whether Crameri and Dickson are going to improve. Similarly there has developed a lack of support for Bontempelli in the midfield with players like Liberatore Dunkley and Jong needing a big lift for us to regain our competitive edge.

The players being suggested as available at the moment aren't necessarily going to address our needs in the forward line. Motlop and Menzel kick some goals but would we better on biting the bullet and going for a new set-up that maybe has Boyd and Cordy as the key targets?

I agree that the midfield also needs some work

We had midfield depth in 2016 but 12 months later it's lacking a bit of quality there.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 12:06 PM
For mine, griffen has "Deledio" written all over him. Just about stuffed and will be lucky to play 8 games next year...with Morris still down back that "needed" experience is still there...and ofcourse we are all unsure what another year will do to Morris...Boyd had a massive decline...can't see the point of carrying Griffen on the list if Morris struggles too.

We would need to do an assessment on him but I think it's still worth looking at. If he doesn't measure up then lets look elsewhere.

Sedat
26-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Motlop holds appeal for me for his pace, elite tank, creativity and age profile and the fact that he comes as a FA - he has attributes that we currently lack. Stefan Martin for a late pick is also an appealing proposition while English continues to develop without the need to rush him. Otherwise I'm very happy to go to the draft with a strong hand in the next 2 years and not waste time on some of the other players mentioned. I'd explore trading out Honeychurch, Campbell and Crameri in addition to Stringer, even if 1-2 of these players are only for pick upgrades.

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Put me in the 'for' camp too. I have no problem with Ryan so long as he can get on the park and play good footy or even just absorb hits that are intended for Marcus Bontompelli. The plastics paying part of his salary appeals to me perverse nature as well.

Actually no, all year Brown said he would stay if Darcy did but he was never going to do that. Very different but I get it's not a popular suggestion.

Correct. By the last game at Etihad it was apparant that Brown wasn't staying even though Darce had recommitted. I remember he did a little lap of honour that was punctuated by a fair bit of booing and advice of a personal nature.

Happy Days
26-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Griffen is so cooked, he's been terrible for 3 years now and couldn't even get on the park this year. Forget everything extrinsic, it's a terrible idea from a list management perspective.

I *would* consider however it if it meant getting a similar deal to Carlton got with Palmer, as extra consideration for a want-away young player. Although perusing their contract statuses, only Kennedy (who is okay), Smith (going to Carlton) and De Boer (lol) seem to be coming out of contract, so it's probably not worth pursuing.

bornadog
26-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Correct. By the last game at Etihad it was apparent that Brown wasn't staying even though Darce had recommitted. I remember he did a little lap of honour that was punctuated by a fair bit of booing and advice of a personal nature.

It was apparent half way during the season Brown wasn't staying. He bought a pub in Richmond with Wayne Campbell and he was hovering over the top of the Morning Peninsula in a helicopter with the Richmond President. He was showing him which bit of land would be is if he joined the Tigers.

Grantysghost
26-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Ablett has requested a trade to Geelong (what a shock). Be hard to get both he and Stringer you would assume.

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm happy to go with a few holes that need covering . Pace and ball use going forward . Motlop would be ideal, as would a mobile ruck like Martin . The forward half is a problem, in particular if we lose Stringer . Gaff would also fit a need , but not sure who to look for in the forward 50

AndrewP6
26-09-2017, 04:06 PM
I assume by all the replies it was a serious question. 'No' in the strongest possible terms from me. Walked out on us as captain, showed utter disdain for the club and members. That, and the fact he's broken down. We complain every week about being slow, he's not going to help that. Oh, and he walked out on the club whilst captain. No bloody way.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Ablett has requested a trade to Geelong (what a shock). Be hard to get both he and Stringer you would assume.

It could open doors as well. We don't want pick 20 so it has to be their first rounder next year plus a sweetener. I mentioned Rory Thompson in the Stringer thread.

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 07:26 PM
It could open doors as well. We don't want pick 20 so it has to be their first rounder next year plus a sweetener. I mentioned Rory Thompson in the Stringer thread.

Yeah I tend to think that it opens more doors than it closes. It should mean that Gold Coasts playing and draft sticks are open for our inspection if Geelong are serious about getting Ablett.

It'd be a mega trade.

josie
26-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Hi GVGjr, tell us more about Rory Thompson. Just looked at this page: http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/player-profile/rory-thompson

He is 200 cm and appears to be a backman. Could help with the big forwards we do so badly against? Quick for his size? Can he ruck? Is he a reliable mark?

He is red-headed so that's something different !!

Dear BT (and our other knowledgeable posters):
Put your fantastic Trading Manager's Cap(s) on - what wouldbe some fair 3 way deals with Geelong & GC?

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Hi GVGjr, tell us more about Rory Thompson. Just looked at this page: http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/player-profile/rory-thompson

He is 200 cm and appears to be a backman. Could help with the big forwards we do so badly against? Quick for his size? Can he ruck? Is he a reliable mark?

Put your fantastic Trading Manager's Cap(s) on - what wouldbe some fair 3 way deals with Geelong & GC?

Thompson has had some injury troubles over the last couple of years and the Gold Coast but when fit he's a solid defender. I think it would be worth having a talk to him and the Suns.

boydogs
26-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Remember both Stringer and Ablett would be going to Geelong, it's not like Ablett is going from Geelong to GC for GC to send us a player to make a 3 way deal. Geelong needs to give something to both clubs which makes a Stringer trade less likely

ratsmac
26-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Hang on a minute. Did I fall off a ladder at work and hit my head? Why are we talking about trading back Griffen? Not only did he walk out on us as the captain he is a shadow of his best form and that's when he can even get back on the park.

So it's a hell no from me.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 09:06 PM

I wish I could but as boydogs states below, I'm struggling with the logic on how it works. Also, if we have Trengrove and all our other tall defenders, maybe Lever if we change his mind. Adding in another tall defender seems a bit too much.

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Getting Trengove would rule out Thompson for me . I'd rather Peter Griffin from Family guy than the other Griffin.

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Sam Lansberger has a story on Bomber president Campbell meeting Stringer .

Dry Rot
26-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Sam Lansberger has a story on Bomber president Campbell meeting Stringer .

Which says?

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 09:21 PM
It's behind a paywall , but I guess you could glean Essendon are still in the game .

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Which says?

He's taking over from Dodoro, and offering pick 11 & Fantasia, and we will push Jake there over Geelong.

Rocket Science
26-09-2017, 09:39 PM
JAKE Stringer has met with Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell as the Bombers ramp up their pursuit of the gamebreaking Western Bulldogs star.

Essendon confirmed to the Herald Sun that Campbell caught up with Stringer face-to-face last Wednesday.

Stringer, 23, has also spoken to Essendon coach John Worsfold and list manager Adrian Dodoro.

It is not the first time Campbell has arranged to meet a prospective Essendon player. Last year he sat in on the club’s final meeting with No.1 pick contender Hugh McCluggage.

Stringer appears almost certain to play for either Geelong or Essendon next season after he was placed on the trade table by Dogs coach Luke Beveridge.

He has also met with at least one other Victorian club, but will not be pursued by Collingwood.

The Bombers hold pick 11 in this year’s draft, while Geelong’s first selection is No.20.

Industry sources indicated Stringer was probably worth somewhere in between those selections and that the Bombers would be reluctant to release their first pick without receiving a later one in return.

Essendon can offer Stringer better financial terms, while the Cats’ stronger player leadership appeals.

The Bombers would likely offer Stringer around $600,000 per season, which could be close to $150,000 more than Geelong.

The inflated pay packet is Essendon’s ace in its hunt for Stringer, where he would join a potent attack alongside Joe Daniher, Cale Hooker and Orazio Fantasia.

Stringer’s ability to play midfield bursts would also aid a weakness at Essendon.

The Bombers declined to elaborate on the meeting.

It is understood Stringer and Campbell both walked away happy and the Dons are still heavily courting the 2015 All-Australian and 2016 premiership star.

Despite last using a first-round selection in 2014, the AFL has confirmed the Cats will again be allowed to trade away their future first-rounder.

But there are likely to be minimal early 2018 picks traded next month, given how bullish recruiters are about next year’s talent pool.

The Cats could also receive compensation selections as well as free up salary cap space should free agents Daniel Menzel and Steven Motlop depart.

Motlop has long been linked to Port Adelaide, while Menzel has only been tabled a one-year contract and was left out of the qualifying final side.

Stringer is expected to be one of several players to move clubs under contract when trade period begins on Monday, October 9.

The young father-of-two won the Bulldogs’ goalkicking award for the third consecutive season, sharing this year’s gong with veteran Liam Picken.

Last week Stringer said he was blindsided by Beveridge’s wish to cut ties.

“I’d be lying if I sat here and said I’d done everything right,” the No.5 draft pick said.

“But I took a phone call from (my manager) that let me know the club was putting me up for trade and I was in shock.

“I love the boys and I love the club”.

While Stringer has had unprofessional tendencies, he remains a much-loved figure to many at Whitten Oval and a favourite with supporters.

Beveridge said this month that the Dogs would only trade Stringer for the right price, but he appears to have almost certainly played his last game for the club.

---

A lot about what an attractive proposition Stringer is for any suitors.

Bugger all about a commensurate return for his current club.

If Menzel or Motlop are the centrepiece of anything coming back I'll spew up.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Hang on a minute. Did I fall off a ladder at work and hit my head? Why are we talking about trading back Griffen? Not only did he walk out on us as the captain he is a shadow of his best form and that's when he can even get back on the park.

So it's a hell no from me.

It's interesting, GAJ is wanted by his former supporters, Griffen is just about being spat on by his former supporters

Says a bit without saying anything

ledge
26-09-2017, 10:27 PM
It's interesting, GAJ is wanted by his former supporters, Griffen is just about being spat on by his former supporters

GAJ won premierships and a brownlow at Geelong and wasn't trouble, also had a legend old man at the club.
That's the difference.

anfo27
26-09-2017, 10:30 PM
I like Rory Thompson but surely with Trengove all but signed you'd think he wouldn't suit us anymore.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 10:30 PM
GAJ won premierships and a brownlow at Geelong and wasn't trouble, also had a legend old man at the club.
That's the difference.

One left at the end of a playing contract for trillions.
One quit the club, as the captain also, whilst being under contract.

Not like for like.

KT31
26-09-2017, 10:37 PM

I think he is cooked and will struggle even more to get on the park, rather go to the draft.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 10:42 PM
That's the difference.

Griffen played more games for us than GAJ did for Geelong. Ablett left for money and plenty of it but their supporters seem to have accepted the lure of the expansion clubs. Griffen on the other hand essentially had a falling out with the coach.

Dry Rot
26-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Yes, but most Suns fans would like to do a lot more than spit on Ablett. Basically they think he can GAGF.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Griffen played more games for us than GAJ did for Geelong. Ablett left for money and plenty of it but their supporters seem to have accepted the lure of the expansion clubs. Griffen on the other hand essentially had a falling out with the coach.

At the risk of sounding like I'm singing lines of Grease, tell me more, tell me more, tell me more, did he put up a fight?

(Which always really bothered me in that song. It's kind of illegal)

Doc26
26-09-2017, 10:48 PM

Firstly I haven't heard Ryan requesting that he wants to return to the Bulldogs to finish his career where it began.

Gary has been spruiking his desire to return to Geelong to do so for the best part of 18+ months.

Ryan also hasn't just won his Club's B&F nor been his Club's dominant player since his arrival.

And I also know of a number of Geelong supporters who aren't at all keen on GAJ's return, with one family I know having written to the Club with the old chestnut of "we will not renew our membership" if the Ablett pursuit continues.

I'm not sure where the interest in Ryan has come from. For me he looks like he's sitting somewhere between Deledio and StevieJ on the 'I'm done' scale.

And none of this touches on the damage his action inflicted on the Club and the load that it placed on those left standing at the Club through this tumultuous, but as time would tell, watershed moment for the Club.

ledge
26-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Firstly I haven't heard Ryan requesting that he wants to return to the Bulldogs to finish his career where it began.

Gary has been spruiking his desire to return to Geelong to do so for the best part of 18+ months.

Ryan also hasn't just won his Club's B&F nor been his Club's dominant player since his arrival.

And I also know of a number of Geelong supporters who aren't at all keen on GAJ's return, with one family I know having written to the Club with the old chestnut of "we will not renew our membership" if the Ablett pursuit continues.

I'm not sure where the interest in Ryan has come from. For me he looks like he's sitting somewhere between Deledio and StevieJ on the 'I'm done' scale.

I tend to agree I think his career is well and truely over.

Hotdog60
26-09-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm also a no but I'm over what ever he did with the club and don't really care anymore.
What I do see is a 31 year old with trouble staying on the park.
So on that I would rather target someone with a bit more to give. Who that is I have no idea but surely we can find someone in better condition that Ryan.

kruder
26-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Anyone one else think we should use a player like Dunkley to gain more speed and skill into the the side? I just think linpinski is a similar type with more polish and we are seriously long inside mids.

josie
26-09-2017, 11:31 PM
I agree with you Kruder. I think we have too many players with poor disposal. Dunkley was good for us last year however we may need to trade out more than what’s been envisaged to date. If we only had crystal balls to see what our list make up will be by end of year....

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 11:45 PM

The coach that was gone within days?

I don't remember Ablett saying he would go away and consider things before getting back to the club and then announcing to the press in the middle of trade week that he was quitting the club and then disappearing. Ive got no problem with Griffen coming back if his body isn't shot he'd be ideal for us. But let's not sugar coat his departure.

Dry Rot
26-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Anyone one else think we should use a player like Dunkley to gain more speed and skill into the the side? I just think linpinski is a similar type with more polish and we are seriously long inside mids.

Willing to shoot Bambi/trade Dahl?

Rocket Science
27-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Willing to shoot Bambi/trade Dahl?

If we can address a need with quality, that's a yes from me.

jeemak
27-09-2017, 12:55 AM

I think you're simplifying things by saying Griffen had a falling out with the coach, essentially. Cameron was into Griffen well before the season ended and the Giants took advantage of a weak captain who couldn't control a dissident bunch of prima donna players and a coach with man management issues.

Griffen stated he was ready to take on the role of captain, and ultimately didn't have the balls to actually say he wasn't when he did so. At the first real test, he failed miserably and let his "mates" almost pull the club down on his watch, it was a weak effort. He was taken full advantage of as a leader.

He has no place anywhere near our football club. Irrespective of his personality type he cut and run when things were too tough for him, I couldn't trust him not to do it again should things become difficult in the future.

As captain and a senior player of integrity he had an opportunity to stand up and be counted. He won't be counted.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Michael Warner has reported that Melbourne have offered Lever a 5 year deal at 900K a season

I've heard the Crows want 2 first rounders for Lever but I think they will settle on the Dee's first round pick and will eventually compromise and accept a 2nd round pick to be added with it. Melbourne have pick 27 in the 2nd round

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 09:30 AM

OK, lets have a look at the challenge Josie has suggested. I still can't put together a reasonable 3 way trade but I thought I should list what those clubs have and what they are after

Gold Coast
Notable players requesting a trade
Ablett to Geelong, Matera to Fremantle
Currency
Have pick 2 in the first round and picks 19, 22, 24 and 33 in the 2nd round
Needs/Strengths
The need a bit of everything but the have a good spine and some emerging talls. They want experienced players with a focus on the midfield

Geelong
None
Currency
Pick 20 and 34 this year and their first round pick for next year but they also seem to have put Motlop and Menzel on offer and might pick up some compensation there. Darcy Lang is on the trade table
Needs/Strengths
They seem to have targeted Ablett, Stringer and Devon Smith, they believe they will still be competitive in 2018. Their list is lopsided with top end talent.

Western Bulldogs
Jake Stringer is on the trade table currently indicating Geelong as his preferred destination. Crameri and Honeychurch in limbo
Currency
Picks, 9, 26 and 39. Crameri and maybe someone like Campbell
Needs/Strengths
With Trengove likely to be arriving the focus for the Dogs is more around midfielders and forwards. The Dogs simply need to maximize the return for Stringer and play it from there.

bornadog
27-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Richmond General Manager of Football Talent Dan Richardson says the Tigers have lowered their interest in Brisbane youngster Josh Schache.

Shall we be looking at him?

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:21 AM

At the right price.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Michael Warner has reported that Melbourne have offered Level a 5 year deal at 900K a season

I've heard the Crows want 2 first rounders for Lever but I think they will settle on the Dee's first round pick and will eventually compromise and accept a 2nd round pick to be added with it. Melbourne have pick 27 in the 2nd round

I don't think we can compete with this, even if we are still interested, so let them work through that.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:27 AM

At the right price.

Even at the right price there has to be some concerns about how important football is to him

Wouldn't he provide us with some great balance though? Boyd at CHF, Schache at FF and both players could help out in the ruck.

I think a mid 1st round pick would interest Brisbane

I think Schache could be a good news story for our supporters though

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:29 AM
I don't think we can compete with this, even if we are still interested, so let them work through that.

I think we can scratch Lever off the to do list. Melbourne are in a great position to get the deal done

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Even at the right price there has to be some concerns about how important football is to him

Wouldn't he provide us with some great balance though? Boyd at CHF, Schache at FF and both players could help out in the ruck.

If he passes multiple interviews and a medical, that's good. He's got the talent. He could be a long term twin tower, and English soon enough. That gives us a longer term solution to Stringer going.

Say we ended up with pick 11. That's about right, but maybe we could ask to trade Martin for Campbell as part of it to try to get a little extra out of it.

Twodogs
27-09-2017, 10:41 AM

I think Schache could be a good news story for our supporters though

Geez I'm looking forward to the day when we just expect players to just play one position and learn to play it properly rather than just being OK at a position and adequate in a few others. The game looks crap when it's played this way with everyone around the ball.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:43 AM
If he passes multiple interviews and a medical, that's good. He's got the talent. He could be a long term twin tower, and English soon enough. That gives us a longer term solution to Stringer going.

Say we ended up with pick 11. That's about right, but maybe we could ask to trade Martin for Campbell as part of it to try to get a little extra out of it.

I think we could get him with something a bit later but given we don't have it what about picks 11 and 26 for Schache and their pick 19?

I think they might push back on Campbell for Martin unless we added something else.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:50 AM
I think we could get him with something a bit later but given we don't have it what about picks 11 and 26 for Schache and their pick 19?

I think they might push back on Campbell for Martin unless we added something else.

19 for 26 is fine. I guess it depends what we want above pick 11. Either the upgrade of picks, or if we want Martin involving him in the trade so it's Martin, Schache for pick 11 (& Campbell if they want him). I guess that comes back to trading for now, or refreshing the list.

bornadog
27-09-2017, 04:59 PM
I know nothing about him:

Hawthorn has told Kurt Heatherley he could be traded

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 05:00 PM

That's the New Zealand bloke I think.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 05:04 PM

He's only played 4 or 5 senior games. 193cm 23yo defender.

Twodogs
27-09-2017, 05:11 PM
He's only played 4 or 5 senior games. 193cm 23yo defender.

Has he been on their list very long.

Axe Man
27-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Even with Gibson and Frawley missing large chunks of the year only got a handful of games, no thanks.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 05:17 PM

4 years. He was always a project player for them

Axe Man
27-09-2017, 05:19 PM

4 years on the list although he has been in their system even longer with the hawks bringing him over from NZ and putting through school before he was old enough to draft.

Twodogs
27-09-2017, 05:20 PM
4 years. He was always a project player for them

4 years on the list although he has been in their system even longer with the hawks bringing him over from NZ and putting through school before he was old enough to draft.

Thanks guys. The NZ thing sounds familiar.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 05:23 PM
We've been linked to to Hayden Crozier - @AFLTrade on twitter suggests he is a genuine chance of making his way to the Western Bulldogs.

Thoughts?

He's played nearly 70 senior games but struggles for consistency. Can kick a goal or two

Happy Days
27-09-2017, 05:32 PM
We've been linked to to Hayden Crozier - @AFLTrade on twitter suggests he is a genuine chance of making his way to the Western Bulldogs.

Thoughts?

He's played nearly 70 senior games but struggles for consistency. Can kick a goal or two

He's like the player Hunter was before Hunter became good, only older.

ledge
27-09-2017, 05:38 PM
The clay Smith / Crozier conundrum . We might end up with both.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Thoughts?

Mitch Cleary was strong on this. We know Dalrymple really rates him. Depends on price and how we are going to use him that will make him better than we've seen to date.

Sedat
28-09-2017, 12:50 AM

Thoughts?

I like him as a good moneyball selection. Kicks it like a mule and has neat skills. Worth a 3rd rounder or maybe a 2nd round downgrade.

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 01:13 AM
I like him as a good moneyball selection. Kicks it like a mule and has neat skills. Worth a 3rd rounder or maybe a 2nd round downgrade.

Maybe Freo will try and establish good karma with the player or try and realign the planets or whatever it is we call it when we give players capable of playing senior football away for nothing and give him to us for free and upgrade our first round selection to theirs at the same time. :rolleyes:

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Could potentially landing Josh Schache be the good news story the club needs?

Regardless if Stringer stays or goes I think we need something else up forward and Schache has some appeal

This is normally BT's domain but could we trade our picks 9 and 26 to Brisbane for their picks 14 and 18? This gives Brisbane two top 10 picks which is a good selling point for them and pick 26 could be used to acquire a senior footballer which they probably need. They will also receive compensation for Rockcliff.

With picks 14 and 18 we could then offer pick 18 back to Brisbane for Schache. I'd also like to see us acquire pick 41 from Brisbane and maybe they would have an interest Tom Campbell.

This would give us picks 14, 38 and 41 and whatever we get for Stringer plus we also have tall bookends in Trengove and Schache.
For some reason I think getting rid of pick 26 might straighten Essendon up for any trade with Stringer. They won't be able to try for pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Regardless if Stringer stays or goes I think we need something else up forward and Schache has some appeal

This is normally BT's domain but could we trade our picks 9 and 26 to Brisbane for their picks 14 and 18? This gives Brisbane two top 10 picks which is a good selling point for them and pick 26 could be used to acquire a senior footballer which they probably need. They will also receive compensation for Rockcliff.

With picks 14 and 18 we could then offer pick 18 back to Brisbane for Schache. I'd also like to see us acquire pick 41 from Brisbane and maybe they would have an interest Tom Campbell.

This would give us picks 14, 38 and 41 and whatever we get for Stringer plus we also have tall bookends in Trengove and Schache.
For some reason I think getting rid of pick 26 might straighten Essendon up for any trade with Stringer. They won't be able to try for pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26.

It could be, but is there any substance to the rumours of Schache seeking a trade home and us being interested? After much expectation earlier in the year on him seeking a trade, Schache re-signed. Why would he re-sign if he was hell bent on leaving Brisbane?

That aside, I would look at trading Stringer for Pick 11 (and possibly something else - ie. Langford/Laverde/Francis) and trade Pick 11 & 26 to Brisbane for Schache & Pick 18.

Brisbane move up 7 spots in the draft & gain Pick 26 for Schache.

Go_Dogs
28-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm not convinced on Schache.

On paper yes it would be a great get and story to sell to our members, his displayed form is a concern though.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Is Schache on the market?

I think a bigger trade could be a win-win, especially if we after a second player like Martin. We need to consider them landing academy kid Ballennden. He seems to be sliding. Like GWS did last year, Brisbane may want pick 9 to get in before a Callenden nomination comes in. They'd probably need to keep 41 if Callenden slides further. On the above gives them possibly 1, 2, 9, 18 & 26 plus Callenden.

From our end we have Schache, pick 14, 38, 80 (Roarke Smith?). So essentially a 5 pick downgrade & 26 for Schache. That's not miles off the Carlisle trade (9 pick upgrade and 24) so it's possible. If we think we are giving up overs or wanting Martin, then that's when we could request Martin be included for Campbell and/or downgrades to help them on points such as 14 for 18, 38 for 41. (Then it's a 9 pick upgrade and 26, a later 3 pick upgrade, virtually identical to the Carlisle deal). I see that Twomey today has Ballenden at 20. So they may be generous with Martin if they have 14 as opposed to 18.

Then it's (Trengove), Martin, Schache, (11 if Stringer goes), 18, 41, 80 (Smith) and anything for Crameri, Honey etc.

kruder
28-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Im concerned he is too similar to Boyd I think he carries significant risk. Can he cope with the rigours of AFL footy? He couldn't get a game at Brisbane? Is he physical enough? Fair effort on the trade though.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Im concerned he is too similar to Boyd I think he carries significant risk. Can he cope with the rigours of AFL footy? He couldn't get a game at Brisbane? Is he physical enough? Fair effort on the trade though.

Think Cam McCarthy like home sickness. McCarthy signed an extension too. I think he needs a fresh start, with family and friends near by. He's dripping with talent, so if we can get him somewhat cheap, I'd be supportive of the club.

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Good post. I like bookends onfield and Schacse and Boyd will provide that for a decade. It also provides Dal with some good picks to go to the draft with

Just on the pick 26 thing. Should we be running our trade/draft strategy off the back of what another club might do? I don't mind playing ducks and drakes but in that circumstance where they ask for 26 we just say no and it's not on the table.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Good post. I like bookends onfield and Schacse and Boyd will provide that for a decade. It also provides Dal with some good picks to go to the draft with

Just on the pick 26 thing. Should we be running our trade/draft strategy off the back of what another club might do? I don't mind playing ducks and drakes but in that circumstance where they ask for 26 we just say no and it's not on the table.

Schache is a bit of a risk, as BT said though it might be worth it if we could get him for a late first rounder.

My comments on pick 26 is just a view that after the proposed trade with Brisbane we have also removed a potential for Essendon to try and exploit it. 9 and 26 for 14 and 18 is a reasonable outcome for both teams especially then for Brisbane if pick 18 is heading back to them for Schache.

I rate this draft and I'm not that keen to hand any pick under 30 to another club unless it's a win for us.

1eyedog
28-09-2017, 02:09 PM
I think you're simplifying things by saying Griffen had a falling out with the coach, essentially. Cameron was into Griffen well before the season ended and the Giants took advantage of a weak captain who couldn't control a dissident bunch of prima donna players and a coach with man management issues.

Griffen stated he was ready to take on the role of captain, and ultimately didn't have the balls to actually say he wasn't when he did so. At the first real test, he failed miserably and let his "mates" almost pull the club down on his watch, it was a weak effort. He was taken full advantage of as a leader.

He has no place anywhere near our football club. Irrespective of his personality type he cut and run when things were too tough for him, I couldn't trust him not to do it again should things become difficult in the future.

As captain and a senior player of integrity he had an opportunity to stand up and be counted. He won't be counted.

I like a lot about your post but remember the captaincy was pushed on Griffen by Macca who thought our best player should be captain. Griffen never really wanted it.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Is Schache on the market?

There is a lot of talk he is heading home.

I think a bigger trade could be a win-win, especially if we after a second player like Martin. We need to consider them landing academy kid Ballennden. He seems to be sliding. Like GWS did last year, Brisbane may want pick 9 to get in before a Callenden nomination comes in. They'd probably need to keep 41 if Callenden slides further. On the above gives them possibly 1, 2, 9, 18 & 26 plus Callenden.

From our end we have Schache, pick 14, 38, 80 (Roarke Smith?). So essentially a 5 pick downgrade & 26 for Schache. That's not miles off the Carlisle trade (9 pick upgrade and 24) so it's possible. If we think we are giving up overs or wanting Martin, then that's when we could request Martin be included for Campbell and/or downgrades to help them on points such as 14 for 18, 38 for 41. (Then it's a 9 pick upgrade and 26, a later 3 pick upgrade, virtually identical to the Carlisle deal). I see that Twomey today has Ballenden at 20. So they may be generous with Martin if they have 14 as opposed to 18.

Then it's (Trengove), Martin, Schache, (11 if Stringer goes), 18, 41, 80 (Smith) and anything for Crameri, Honey etc.

Not bad BT, What would we do with Roughead if we landed Martin?

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 02:14 PM

It's a reasonable call. Vigorous assessment required but he is a talented youngster

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 02:20 PM
There is a lot of talk he is heading home.

Not bad BT, What would we do with Roughead if we landed Martin?

So that scenario has Campbell going, and Martin as first ruck. The first question is can Schache, Boyd & Trengove (English in the wings) cover the second ruck role for the next year or two. If the answer is yes, and we are full of tall defenders, then I'd offer him up to see if we get a solid price. He's a wonderful human, but thats not what the trade period is about.

Mofra
28-09-2017, 02:33 PM

A contracted pick 2 from two years ago?
I think Brisbane would want more - much more.

kruder
28-09-2017, 02:55 PM
It's a reasonable call. Vigorous assessment required but he is a talented youngster

For mine pick 18 is just about bang on, I mean if Stringer is worth lets just say 11 an AA talent, Josh has upside but in reality wasn't good enough to play AFL this year. O'Rourke a pick 2 was in a similar situation(wasn't contracted though) at GWS an unproven talent couldn't crack it in the seniors and Hawthorn traded pick 19 for him and a 3 pick downgrade in the third round, there seems to be some precedent there.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Schache would lock our down our spine for a decade:

Cordy/Collins (early 2nd rounder)
Adams (2nd rounder)/Young
Bonts (pick 4)
Boyd (pick 1)
Schache (pick 2)
(R) English (1st rounder)

Then it's a matter of constantly building around that with good mids, flankers, wingers & pockets. And finding good trades and free gents to boost the list.

ledge
28-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm not sold on Schache, love that Hipwood kid though.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 03:19 PM
A contracted pick 2 from two years ago?
I think Brisbane would want more - much more.

They might want more but if they're not confident he will overcome his home sickness they might consider cutting their losses.
Tend to agree the would probably want more.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 03:21 PM
So that scenario has Campbell going, and Martin as first ruck. The first question is can Schache, Boyd & Trengove (English in the wings) cover the second ruck role for the next year or two. If the answer is yes, and we are full of tall defenders, then I'd offer him up to see if we get a solid price. He's a wonderful human, but thats not what the trade period is about.

I think we would need at least one of the two and Campbell might make more sense in your scenario.
Roughy is such a good guy, I can't see us trading him

1eyedog
28-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I don't think we'd get enough for Roughie vs the potential fall out amongst the group. He's very well liked by playing group and officials.

I've not seen anything firm out of the Schache camp that he's leaving, actually his manager came out 3 weeks ago and stated emphatically he'll be at the Lions next year. I hope we're not hedging our bets that we can pry him loose. An EOI to his manager is fine, but I'm not convinced he'll leave Brisbane at all, and it shouldn't be our focus. Martin is more attractive to me in the short term.

I would rather use our first rounder on a player like Gaff. Wants out and suits our need, hard running mid who is nice by foot.

It seems Geelong are out of the Stringer race - good couldn't handle him going there I'd lose my shite - and Essendon's 1st rounder is off the table. I'm hoping we beat Dodoro at the staring contest this time cause we don't have that much to lose.

chef
28-09-2017, 04:00 PM
According to my source Shaq will be playing at the Lions again next season. At least thats what he told my daughter at the local footy the other day.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 04:52 PM
According to my source Shaq will be playing at the Lions again next season. At least thats what he told my daughter at the local footy the other day.

Good enough for me

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Horse's mouth is the best source.

Remi Moses
28-09-2017, 05:19 PM
schache's intensity has been questioned by a few scribes , but haven't seen enough of him.

ledge
28-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Horse's mouth is the best source.

My mates horse (Mr Ed) told me Stringer has no idea what he is doing in his life and his manager is his guide.

bornadog
28-09-2017, 06:11 PM

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Jon Ralph has confirmed the view that Hayden Crozier could be on his way to the Kennel.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Jon Ralph has confirmed the view that Hayden Crozier could be on his way to the Kennel.

A three day trade. GWS have Wilson likely heading to Freo. Freo, maybe Crozier to us. Us ? Maybe interest in Dev Smith or Kennedy additionally. Then more from us.

Dry Rot
29-09-2017, 12:05 AM
FWIW some rumours Haynes wants out of the Giants.

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Devon Smith is a decent kick for goal and there is a spot waiting for him on our forward line. He would solve a few problems is only 24 and played a hundred games.

I'm all for it.

Happy Days
29-09-2017, 12:49 AM
FWIW some rumours Haynes wants out of the Giants.

Shit yeah get it done. He's a breathtaking footballer, all of the best parts of Easton Wood and Ryan Hargrave in one with Lindsay Gilbee's kicking.

Do they want Stringer?

bornadog
29-09-2017, 12:51 AM
Shit yeah get it done. He's a breathtaking footballer, all of the best parts of Easton Wood and Ryan Hargrave in one with Lindsay Gilbee's kicking.

Do they want Stringer?

I would take Haynes anytime.

jazzadogs
29-09-2017, 01:36 AM
Stringer to Bombers
Haynes to Dogs
??? to GWS - they'd want plenty - I wonder if Bombers first next year would satisfy them?

Haynes would be a great get but I don't see it happening.

On Crozier, I'll be very happy if we pick him up in a Stevens/Hrovat style third round swap. If we do elevate Roarke and we get 11 for Stringer, then 9+11 would be our only two live picks at the draft - don't need the rest. If we could work it into a Crozier and our third this year for their fourth next year or something that could be worth a look? I've liked the look of him when I've watched them - if we could turn Hunter into the elite wingman he was last year then I'll back us in with Crozier too.

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Would pick 26 being the centerpiece to get a deal done with Gold Coast for Adam Saad be worth considering? There would probably be some other considerations.
There is something about having two speedsters like JJ and Saad that appeals to me. It might even allow for JJ to play forward or on a wing in certain games.

Could we squeeze Saad into a list that already has a number of half back flanker types albeit on one other with his type of leg speed

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Would pick 26 being the centerpiece to get a deal done with Gold Coast for Adam Saad be worth considering? There would probably be some other considerations.
There is something about having two speedsters like JJ and Saad that appeals to me. It might even allow for JJ to play forward or on a wing in certain games.

Could we squeeze Saad into a list that already has a number of half back flanker types albeit on one other with his type of leg speed

I think so, because there's so flexibility in the players. JJ at times this year looked good forward, or high half forward. We need to un clog poor skill execution in our 22, so good kickers wing to forward help. Saad back there could release Suckling into a more attacking role and not have to deal with as much one on one defending which isn't his main strength. A talented, quick, ready made player would be great at the right price. I'd prefer Kolo if he's one of the allegedly 10 players on the table.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 01:38 PM
With possibly Stringer & Crameri out, I'd like us to be linked to a decent tall forward. Not sure there's any out there though.

Rocco Jones
29-09-2017, 02:51 PM
With possibly Stringer & Crameri out, I'd like us to be linked to a decent tall forward. Not sure there's any out there though.

I think the game has really changed. I don't see either as tall. If you are not going to be a tall these days, be manic with your pressure. I want forwards with some explosive speed and an appetite/ability to tackle.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 04:18 PM
I think the game has really changed. I don't see either as tall. If you are not going to be a tall these days, be manic with your pressure. I want forwards with some explosive speed and an appetite/ability to tackle.

They seem just as hard to get, of good quality.

bornadog
30-09-2017, 12:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK5PDfvVoAANEig.jpg

Happy Days
30-09-2017, 12:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK5PDfvVoAANEig.jpg

Who's the third guy?

Also good on Bont for getting a big pot. Was starting to think he was a robot.

1eyedog
30-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Is that Trengove and Bont?