PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have JMac target this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

The Doctor
10-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Sam Gibson, any interest for a rookie list spot, Adcock style?

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Absolutely not.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 04:26 PM

If we have 2 spots already taken (NMM and Lynch) I'm not sure we have room for him.

This is a deep draft and I think we could get some good prospects with our two rookie list spots

Bulldog4life
11-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Lynch in play?

Also on SEN this morning, noted former list manager Chris Pelchen claimed that Gold Coast skipper Tom Lynch is in play.
“We’ve heard the rumour and innuendo, obviously the clubs involved, whether it be with Tom Lynch or others who have got key players, they don’t want to lose them," he told the SEN breakfast show.

“Certainly I have heard discussions around two or three clubs are speaking with him right now.”

Pelchen said the situation was similar to Hawthorn's successful courting of Shaun Burgoyne, which took place over a couple of years before he finally made the move at the end of 2009

http://www.afl.com.au/news/trade/trade-talk

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Lynch in play?

Also on SEN this morning, noted former list manager Chris Pelchen claimed that Gold Coast skipper Tom Lynch is in play.
“We’ve heard the rumour and innuendo, obviously the clubs involved, whether it be with Tom Lynch or others who have got key players, they don’t want to lose them," he told the SEN breakfast show.

“Certainly I have heard discussions around two or three clubs are speaking with him right now.”

Pelchen said the situation was similar to Hawthorn's successful courting of Shaun Burgoyne, which took place over a couple of years before he finally made the move at the end of 2009

http://www.afl.com.au/news/trade/trade-talk

Throw the kitchen sink at.

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 12:24 PM
If that's true it might explain the supposed tepid interest in Schache, for the time being anyway.

mjp
11-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Gold Coast should trade Lynch for a bounty. 1+2 this year, 1 next year and a best 22 player.

Remi Moses
11-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Gold Coast should trade Lynch for a bounty. 1+2 this year, 1 next year and a best 22 player.

Should we do it ?

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Should we do it ?

So 9, 26, ~10-15 (or 18 why not) and Williams?

Geez I dunno. That's a lot.

I'd be more inclined to offer a "good" player and 9. Dahl and 9?

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 02:24 PM
So 9, 26, ~10-15 (or 18 why not) and Williams?

Geez I dunno. That's a lot.

I'd be more inclined to offer a "good" player and 9. Dahl and 9?

We couldn't run away fast enough from that one.

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 02:31 PM
We couldn't run away fast enough from that one.

True, but it's really hard to see how we can strike a balance though. If we trade this and next year's picks then that's 3 out of 4 years we've traded out of the first round. It might net Lynch but this isn't the NBA; you need a solid list profile from top to bottom to have sustained success, and the best way to do that is to draft consistently well early.

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
I'll have a crack.

Our Pick 9 in 2017
Our 2018 1st rounder or Essendon's 2017 Pick 11 (if we accept it)
1 of Dahlhaus, Dale or Dunkley
1 of Jong or Webb

for

Lynch
Their Pick 19 in 2017

I wonder then if they'd start listening.

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 02:37 PM
True, but it's really hard to see how we can strike a balance though. If we trade this and next year's picks then that's 3 out of 4 years we've traded out of the first round. It might net Lynch but this isn't the NBA; you need a solid list profile from top to bottom to have sustained success, and the best way to do that is to draft consistently well early.

Agreed, the most formidable teams are the one with fewest weak links / soft spots.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Charlie Dixon was traded for pick 10 and a future second rounder. Lynch is worth more, perhaps a best 22 player in their side (not ours) as they need players almost desperately.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 02:55 PM
It's a no from me for Lynch.

He'd cost too much - both in terms of $$ and in what we'd have to cough up.

Sounds great in theory but in practice you're putting all your eggs in one basket.

History shows you just need the best team (us, Tigers). Often the team with the champion loses (Swans/Hawks with Buddy, Geelong with Ablett Snr).

Let's focus on being a complete team.

1eyedog
11-10-2017, 05:46 PM
I'll have a crack.

Our Pick 9 in 2017
Our 2018 1st rounder or Essendon's 2017 Pick 11 (if we accept it)
1 of Dahlhaus, Dale or Dunkley
1 of Jong or Webb

for

Lynch
Their Pick 19 in 2017

I wonder then if they'd start listening.

No I'm not prepared to offer up any player with 'Dale' as part of their name.

Mofra
11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
No I'm not prepared to offer up any player with 'Dale' as part of their name.
I'd offer Dale Honeychurch and Dale Campbell for trade

comrade
11-10-2017, 06:54 PM
We should trade pick 26 away for something or someone, just so it takes the option of including it in the Stringer deal off the table and backs Dodo further into the corner.

EasternWest
11-10-2017, 07:27 PM
We should trade pick 26 away for something or someone, just so it takes the option of including it in the Stringer deal off the table and backs Dodo further into the corner.

Good call. To GWS for Ward please.

Mofra
12-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Trade it down the order to try and get a later 2017 second and a 2018 third rounder back.

G-Mo77
12-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Realistically what would we get if we moved Campbell? I think 3rd, maybe a late 2nd. Unders? Overs?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Realistically what would we get if we moved Campbell? I think 3rd, maybe a late 2nd. Unders? Overs?

Probably more of an upgrade but the 3rd round would be around the mark

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Mitch Cleary has tweeted that Stef Martin being linked to us won't go away.

How does that place Roughead if we were to trade for him? I can't see how we could play both.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 05:59 PM

How does that place Roughead if we were to trade for him? I can't see how we could play both.

Bad for Roughy. We have better defenders and better forwards. We won't play two rucks. I dare say Roughy will be spending the year with Tim English, which is maybe a good thing.

Bundled into the Schache deal is he?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Bad for Roughy. We have better defenders and better forwards. We won't play two rucks. I dare say Roughy will be spending the year with Tim English, which is maybe a good thing.

Bundled into the Schache deal is he?

I don't think so but you never know

Happy Days
12-10-2017, 06:26 PM

In the twos. Not a bad thing either.

soupman
12-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Stuff all.

Why would anyone give up anything of value for a ruckman that can't get a game ahead of Roughead? Zac Clarke is better credentialed and he is free.

Campbell will be worth something in the realm of an 8 pick upgrade in the 40's.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Stuff all.

Why would anyone give up anything of value for a ruckman that can't get a game ahead of Roughead? Zac Clarke is better credentialed and he is free.

Campbell will be worth something in the realm of an 8 pick upgrade in the 40's.

Sold!

On his own. Could be OK steak knives though.

Doc26
12-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Interesting given David Noble's interview this morning, who was surprised of any talk of Stef Martin leaving the Club.
He said it was news to him.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Interesting given David Noble's interview this morning, who was surprised of any talk of Stef Martin leaving the Club.
He said it was news to him.

He said that on Monday as well. Conflicting information. FWIW, I can't see us trading for Martin.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I wonder why we haven't stitched up the Crozier trade? Are we working on something else as well?

boydogs
12-10-2017, 10:55 PM
I wonder why we haven't stitched up the Crozier trade? Are we working on something else as well?

Guessing we'll be part of the Wilson trade

The Pie Man
13-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Do they want a 2nd round pick? Guessing we're thinking 3rd round (all speculation - probably waiting to see what we can shake loose from Essendon)

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 09:43 AM

I suspect it's been agreed to in principal but we are both working on other things more pressing and we will reconvene to see where our position is later next week as to the finer details

Topdog
13-10-2017, 10:36 AM
I believe they asked for our 3rd round for Crozier

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Deal, we should take it.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:50 AM

AS BT said, it sounds like a reasonable deal. There must be something else bubbling away for it not to have happened yet

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Essendon are stuffing around, so any reason we cant try to get Saad with our second rounder?

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Essendon are stuffing around, so any reason we cant try to get Saad with our second rounder?

GC still want players more than picks. There is no reason why we couldn't put an offer in

Sam Landsberger is reporting that the Crozier deal is about done with a swap of draft picks so I wonder if that is our pick 27 for Crozier and their pick 41?

Rocket Science
13-10-2017, 01:40 PM
GC still want players more than picks. There is no reason why we couldn't put an offer in

Sam Landsberger is reporting that the Crozier deal is about done with a swap of draft picks so I wonder if that is our pick 27 for Crozier and their pick 41?

Wonder if they'd be interested in a 21yo Lukas Webb and a swap of mid round picks in their favour ...

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Wonder if they'd be interested in a 21yo Lukas Webb and a swap of mid round picks in their favour ...

Has there ever been an example of a player being traded just after they have re-signed (excluding extraordinary circumstances like Schache)? Seems highly unlikely.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 01:48 PM

We just signed Webb so very doubtful.

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Sam Landsberger has said we are not understood to be targeting any other players.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Sam Landsberger has said we are not understood to be targeting any other players.

So it was just a single year hangover and things will be right again next year...

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 04:50 PM

If that is true it is a good job to have nailled all of our targets in the first week. I would be a little surprised if there is no-one else we have an interest in.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Lets see if this holds true.

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Lets see if this holds true.

The thing is it could be true now but things can change quickly - an unexpected opportunity could present itself or an offer for one of our players that is too good to refuse where we will need to seek a replacement (ie Campbell going could lead us to chase another ruck).

Throughandthrough
13-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Ok here's a name to watch. Dom Barry.

The Doctor
13-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Ok here's a name to watch. Dom Barry.

I remember asking you about him earlier this year. Are we linked?

Throughandthrough
13-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Look! A squirrel

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 11:39 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-08/former-demon-barry-on-the-verge-of-an-afl-lifeline

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 11:27 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-08/former-demon-barry-on-the-verge-of-an-afl-lifeline

If he's originally from Ballarat, or at least his formative years, we should check if that makes him a potential Cat B/Academy prospect.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 12:00 PM

If he's originally from Ballarat, or at least his formative years, we should check if that makes him a potential Cat B/Academy prospect.

Wouldn't he by an nice addition to our playing list? A bit of experience, hunger to make a go of it, still young and plenty of run in his game would all be welcome at our club.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Hey GVGjr, I'm going through club websites looking for talls, not currently rucks, that could ruck in the Bevo mould. You've mention Rory Thompson before. From what I can glean, he's a history of injuries and is a KPD. But he's 200cm and 91+kg.

If we let Campbell go, which we should, could Thompson get turned into a hybrid player we can throw into a Bevo wanting rucking & KPP role?

Throughandthrough
14-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't he by an nice addition to our playing list? A bit of experience, hunger to make a go of it, still young and plenty of run in his game would all be welcome at our club.

Absolute ripper individual as well.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Hey GVGjr, I'm going through club websites looking for talls, not currently rucks, that could ruck in the Bevo mould. You've mention Rory Thompson before. From what I can glean, he's a history of injuries and is a KPD. But he's 200cm and 91+kg.

If we let Campbell go, which we should, could Thompson get turned into a hybrid player we can throw into a Bevo wanting rucking & KPP role?

From my perspective the Thompson interest is in part around that I think he's a good footballer who might be gained on the cheap and I'm thinking that if we were to trade Campbell we have the option of using Trengove there a bit more.
I'd also like to look at Cordy as the CHF this year much like how GWS use Himmelberg.
I'm not sure if he could ruck but perhaps Bevo's version of what a relief ruckman should do would be OK for him.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 12:43 PM
From my perspective the Thompson interest is in part around that I think he's a good footballer who might be gained on the cheap and I'm thinking that if we were to trade Campbell we have the option of using Trengove there a bit more.
I'd also like to look at Cordy as the CHF this year much like how GWS use Himmelberg.
I'm not sure if he could ruck but perhaps Bevo's version of what a relief ruckman should do would be OK for him.

Thanks G. Would we need to shop Roberts then? Another KPD I think tips the list a bit, and I think he'd have some suitors all be it at a modest return.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks G. Would we need to shop Roberts then? Another KPD I think tips the list a bit, and I think he'd have some suitors all be it at a modest return.

I'm surprised if a couple of clubs haven't sounded him out. Collingwood have cleared out some tall defenders over the last two years and could probably do with some depth. Having said that I think Roberts was stiff to be dropped last year and I think he's a decent player.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm surprised if a couple of clubs haven't sounded him out. Collingwood have cleared out some tall defenders over the last two years and could probably do with some depth. Having said that I think Roberts was stiff to be dropped last year and I think he's a decent player.

Yep, Collingwood. Plus St Kilda were rumoured to be considering Talia after his delisting. And Geelong lost a few decent KPDs. So theres a few clubs after mature KPDs. Might be one to watch this week, especially if Tomlinson isn't traded.

Dry Rot
14-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Absolute ripper individual as well.

I watched some YouTube highlight and he seems a tricky Rioli style quick small forward.

What's his defensive pressure like?

Throughandthrough
14-10-2017, 03:55 PM
I watched some YouTube highlight and he seems a tricky Rioli style quick small forward.

What's his defensive pressure like?

More of a goal scoring wingman than a small forward. Would need to work on defensive pressure.

Struggled a bit under a hard tag in second half of this season

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=93216741%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&text=%22Dom%20Barry%22&view_all=1

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 09:43 PM
ESPN are indicating that with Lobbe likely to head to the Suns we have an interest in Tom Nicholls

In other Port Adelaide news, ruckman Matthew Lobbe will visit the Gold Coast next week as the Suns look to bolster their ruck stocks.

It comes after uncertainty surrounding the future of Suns ruck Tom Nicholls, with the Western Bulldogs making enquiries on the future of the talented junior.

I think this is the 2nd time we have asked about him.

If you believe the speculation in the media we have an interest in Martin and/or Nicholls.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 09:48 PM
For the second time, I'm a little confused why we have asked about Nichols.

Unless he's steak knives to a Saad deal...

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 10:05 PM
For the second time, I'm a little confused why we have asked about Nichols.

Unless he's steak knives to a Saad deal...

In 2016 he strung together some good performances and maybe we think we can get that from him. We've been attached to a few ruckman since Bevo arrived so maybe he just doesn't rate what Roughead and Campbell offer as ruckman.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2017, 03:24 AM
In 2016 he strung together some good performances and maybe we think we can get that from him. We've been attached to a few ruckman since Bevo arrived so maybe he just doesn't rate what Roughead and Campbell offer as ruckman.

Luke Beveridge coached Nicholls’ brother Pat in 2008 — the year St Bedes Mentone won the A-Grade VAFA premiership.

G-Mo77
15-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Was that his rookie year. I do recall him being thrown to the wolves because of injuries and was very good. He was a Supercoach dream, rookie ruckman getting tons ��

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Was that his rookie year. I do recall him being thrown to the wolves because of injuries and was very good. He was a Supercoach dream, rookie ruckman getting tons ��

He's been there since 2012 and in 2015 and mainly in 2016 he performed well. He's had issues with injuries mainly his knees.
He's 203cm and mobile. I don't think we need him but it's curious why we keep getting linked to ruckman.

Sedat
15-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Would happily rookie Nicholls. Low risk and potentially high reward, and we do need one more ready made ruckman as cover on the list.

Axe Man
16-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Would happily rookie Nicholls. Low risk and potentially high reward, and we do need one more ready made ruckman as cover on the list.

Believe he is contracted and regardless someone would offer him a primary list spot anyway. No chance of being a rookie.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Storm gathering pace that Hinkley's about to walk out on Port for the Sunshine Coast.

If it becomes official, could there be other persons of interest on top of Trengove to shake out of Alberton amidst the fallout?

Wingard.

Fingers crossed he's good mates with Jackson ...

Wingard rules; if we were to look at Stringer leaving as a breach of duty where the compensation required would be to put us in as close a position as we would have been had the breach not occurred, then Wingard would likely be the order issued.

(I'm in a remedies lecture at the minute but this seems fair)

So 12 months ago to the day, woofers put out Wingard's name for trading into the club for the very first time. Now theres a real chance he comes our way. Take a bow woofers. To HD's point from 12 months ago, Wingard would be our remedy, or new improved version of the role Stringer played temporarily. A satisfactory settlement over the course of 2 trade periods with Schache & Richards and fingers crossed Wingard.

Happy Days
18-09-2018, 07:20 PM
I did pretty well in remedies and can confirm this holds up.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2018, 07:24 PM
If this gets to the last hour of the trade period HD, we are sending you in to explain why this needs to happen and then finish the trade contract.

comrade
19-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Gowers was the remedy to Stringer, Wingard would be just rubbing it in!

ledge
19-09-2018, 10:51 AM
I hope JMac targets none of our players, unless it’s fringe players and gives us an AGrader.

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 12:32 PM
I'd be all over Alir Alir if I were us, he made a silly mistake missing training like that but he's played quality football in a position we are crying out for and right now his stock is at a bit of a low because the other kiddie, Melican is it? has taken his spot? None of the other names inspire any confidence though. I'd rather give Dal the draft pick to use.

I remember thinking toward the end of the third quarter on Saturday night that if Alir Alir was playing for us then we'd be ten goals in front and the game would have been put to bed already.

I'm spewing that the Swans virtually gave him away and he went to another club.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Maybe JMac shouldn’t target umpires in their private room with threatening abuse.

hujsh
17-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Maybe JMac shouldn’t target umpires in their private room with threatening abuse.

It's nothing serious. About on par with kicking a player in the head or gouging their eyes.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 01:01 PM
It's nothing serious. About on par with kicking a player in the head or gouging their eyes.

Or knocking out Caleb’s teeth.

Mofra
17-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Ben McKay (we can dream) or Riccardi.
Chol as a UFA budget option if we want to save draft picks.

comrade
17-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Ben McKay (we can dream) or Riccardi.
Chol as a UFA budget option if we want to save draft picks.

I'm all aboard the McKay train but he's likely to command 700k or more at North given their cap space needs to be spent on someone. No way we can match that.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 03:26 PM
I'm all aboard the McKay train but he's likely to command 700k or more at North given their cap space needs to be spent on someone. No way we can match that.

Depends if he stays for $700,000 per your number, of if he’d leave for $650,000 to a premiership contender.

Assuming Wallis (say $400,000) exercised his free agency rights (GVGjr suggesting North are into him), and say if Richards (who is on North’s radar per the The Age (say $400,000 also). North have said they won’t trade picks. McKay and a draftee salary would be the $800,000 in salary savings and the reports are we have some room left. While still signing everyone we want. I also suspect another player or two with some value may ask for a trade.

Stranger things have happened....

jeemak
17-05-2021, 03:39 PM
I think the continued talk about losing Richards is premature. He's always been played when available, and I think will continue to be played once available again.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 03:45 PM
I think the continued talk about losing Richards is premature. He's always been played when available, and I think will continue to be played once available again.

Not saying that comes from our side at all. North obviously talking to The Age about being after him and the promise of more years or much money or position he wants, or whatever else, maybe Richards hears them out. The larger point was if a few players move this year like in 2016 (Hamling, Stevens, Hrovat), we might have the flexibility in the salary cap to pursue another really decent KPD.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 03:48 PM

North just won't allow him to leave. They have to invest in players like him not let them go.

azabob
17-05-2021, 06:57 PM
I remember thinking toward the end of the third quarter on Saturday night that if Alir Alir was playing for us then we'd be ten goals in front and the game would have been put to bed already.

I'm spewing that the Swans virtually gave him away and he went to another club.

Honestly TD, I’m surprised you are still on the Alir bandwagon in particular what happened after halftime.

He started the game in short sleeves and ended the game in long sleeves.

I thought you had old school footy principles that would not allow those shenanigans...

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Honestly TD, I’m surprised you are still on the Alir bandwagon in particular what happened after halftime.

He started the game in short sleeves and ended the game in long sleeves.

I thought you had old school footy principles that would not allow those shenanigans...

Obviously we'd have to talk to him about that sort of thing. Maybe put something in the contract but I'm prepared to overlook the one occasion.

1eyedog
17-05-2021, 07:59 PM

I've never felt more assured that we have the ability to retain players under the premise of playing in a Premiership, especially when it comes to the likes of North as an alternative. And as you've said we have invested in him and we've always played him when available.

The Doctor
18-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Listened to Ben McKay being interviewed on SEN. A very impressive performance.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 10:01 AM

Didn't realise he was the twin of Harry till the other day

Axe Man
18-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Didn't realise he was the twin of Harry till the other day

The fact they have the same surname, were taken early in the same draft, are about the same size and pretty much look exactly the same didn't give you an inkling? ;)

Axe Man
18-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Speaking on SEN Breakfast, Ben was asked whether he will be tasked with stopping Harry later in the season. It elicited a cheeky sledge from the emerging Roos defender.

“I normally take the best forward. So probably Levi (Casboult) maybe. We’ll see how we go,” McKay said.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 10:10 AM
The fact they have the same surname, were taken early in the same draft, are about the same size and pretty much look exactly the same didn't give you an inkling? ;)

Same surname - no, same draft -didn't know that, and I have never really seen any close ups of his face.

Mofra
18-05-2021, 10:21 AM
Same surname - no, same draft -didn't know that, and I have never really seen any close ups of his face.
We were very interested in Ben in his draft year.

Axe Man
18-05-2021, 10:27 AM
We were very interested in Ben in his draft year.

If he had dropped a few more spots would we now have Dunkley and Mckay instead of Dunkley and a long delisted Collins?

Mofra
18-05-2021, 01:14 PM
If he had dropped a few more spots would we now have Dunkley and Mckay instead of Dunkley and a long delisted Collins?
Yep.

But we bid on Ben Keays too so we could have ended up with Keays and Collins. Swings and roundabouts

AshMac
21-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Cal Twomeys posted a very very early phantom draft best 22. Cody Raak at Full back and Sam Darcy at CHF.

Have we missed out on Raak after last year?

AshMac
21-05-2021, 09:31 PM
https://www.woof.net.au/forum/blob:https://www.woof.net.au/86908e88-088f-4931-9e8f-ea809d15445f

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Looking around for a small forward and Richmond look interesting.

They have Castagna, Aarts, D. Rioli & Bolton with good numbers this year. Plus they have Maurice Rioli Jr waiting in the wings.

For the sake of argument say Bolton stays and they won’t trade either Rioli. If they trade one player they still have four good small forwards. That leaves Costanga (contract end 2021) but I doubt they trade & Aarts (contract end 2022). Aarts stats this year are pretty similar to Costagna, but Aarts has kicked an extra 5 goals (1.5 a game) and is a more effective with disposals and more accurate at goal.

The highlights of last nights game Aarts kicked a couple of good snaps including a really good crumb. I could live with that kind of talent in addition to what we have. Leaving English to one side that would have us:

Tall: Bruce, Naughton, Jamarra (not sure if Schache will be shopped)
Mid: Weightman, Hannan (I think Wallis will leave for opportunity)
Small: VDM, Aarts, McNeil (Cavarra cut, we just haven’t played him nearly enough in 3 years)

(We don’t know if Garcia can match that output, nor Bedendo, or West or Scott too.

26yo, 24 Games, 177cm, quick and athletic, 1.5 Goals Per Game This Season. But contracted for next season.

Do you think he fits our need to find another small forward, who is a proficient crumbed? If so, what would be the going trade rate in a pick or equal player swap?

DOG GOD
22-05-2021, 11:20 AM
I like the look of Aarts, and would look at him if there was no one else around, however I’d really love someone with explosive pace in the vein of kossie (yeah I know, I know), but I feel THAT is the type of player that would compliment our fwds better.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 11:48 AM
I like the look of Aarts, and would look at him if there was no one else around, however I’d really love someone with explosive pace in the vein of kossie (yeah I know, I know), but I feel THAT is the type of player that would compliment our fwds better.

How many Kossie, Cyril Rioli type trades happen?

Betts left as a free agent ($600,000 seemed crazy at the time). Cameron wanted to go home. Motlop left as a free agent (who I don’t rate and happened after the afel corrupted that process to help Ablett/Geelong).

I’d say the chances are close to zero of such a trade. We live with what we have, or we get the best one we can get or stay in our window with a hole on the list while trying to draft one.

The Doctor
22-05-2021, 12:04 PM
Isaac Rankine

He is the best small forward I have seen at the elite junior level. He has all the skills we are praying for. Speed, elusiveness (I think he knows how to apparate), brilliant ground ball player, kicks miracle goals. Want more? He's only 21 and I can only imagine what a future forward line of Naughton, Jamarra, Weightman and Rankine would do to opposition defences. I think he would thrive in our system. He's OOC next year so we would need to stump up some decent trade options for GC. But he's my man!

I posted this in the Rolling list Management thread in the State League & Junior Footy forum a few days ago. Well that's me view!!

azabob
22-05-2021, 12:13 PM
I posted this in the Rolling list Management thread in the State League & Junior Footy forum a few days ago. Well that's me view!!

Does Rankine pressure the opposition enough? That is my concern on Rankine.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 12:19 PM

Our first pick is tied up in Sam Darcy. No second or third round picks. How do you get it done with GCS?

I could live with having him.

Something like this years first, next years first & Pick 71. Back to us this year 24, 43 & 54.

1,354 net draft points takes the draft point upgrade to around Pick 11.

GCS get two first rounders. But I suspect they would want a good player and not more picks. Even Lipinski as steak knives probably doesn’t do it.

Twodogs
22-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Our first pick is tied up in Sam Darcy. No second or third round picks. How do you get it done with GCS?

I could live with having him.

Something like this years first, next years first & Pick 71. Back to us this year 24, 43 & 54.

1,354 net draft points takes the draft point upgrade to around Pick 11.

GCS get two first rounders. But I suspect they would want a good player and not more picks. Even Lipinski as steak knives probably doesn’t do it.

Maybe Jeemak has some bright ideas on some players we could trade out? :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2021, 01:00 PM
Maybe Jeemak has some bright ideas on some players we could trade out? :)

Maybe he'd like to share his thoughts down at the Yarraville nets?

Twodogs
22-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Maybe he'd like to share his thoughts down at the Yarraville nets?

I drove past the Yarraville ground today. There is a bouncy castle and some sort of carnival going on. I couldn't help but laugh!

Hopefully nobody has a mediation session booked in.

Grantysghost
22-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Ainsworth has just been omitted for the Suns. Former top 5 pick and is a smallish forward.

Wouldn't say no at the right price.

The Adelaide Connection
22-05-2021, 01:51 PM
I’d be pretty surprised if Jmac targeted anyone for us at this stage. He seems to have a bit of a bee in his bonnet.

Thread name change?

Happy Days
22-05-2021, 01:54 PM
In what world is Rankine worth two firsts? He hasn’t actually done anything!

AshMac
22-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Have we missed Cody Raak not taking him in last years draft or is he still tied to our NGA if we want him?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 03:17 PM
Have we missed Cody Raak not taking him in last years draft or is he still tied to our NGA if we want him?

Gone. Assuming he gets drafted in the msd. Which is a fair assumption.

DOG GOD
22-05-2021, 04:50 PM
Yet we keep Hayes on the list.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 06:12 PM
In what world is Rankine worth two firsts? He hasn’t actually done anything!

He’s not. That wasn’t the spread. This years is a draft points trade (to me it seems we need to sell it for the best draft point increase), where we grab say 200-300 more Draft points. Rankine would be for a 2022 first rounder.

Something like Rankine & 200-300 Draft Points - for - a 2022 first (hopefully Pick 16-18)

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Yet we keep Hayes on the list.

Moot point. Raak could’ve been a Cat B rookie irrespective of Hayes or anyone else. It was just his salary as the cost.

DOG GOD
22-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Moot point. Raak could’ve been a Cat B rookie irrespective of Hayes or anyone else. It was just his salary as the cost.
Ok ��

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Ok ��

Either we didn’t rate him or during a pandemic the club didn’t want an extra salary. I’m curious to know which one actually.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Left of centre.

I don’t follow Hawthorn, would they want to keep Wingard, or trade him for something towards the rebuild and freed salary? I’m sure we don’t need his midfield minutes and could put him in the pocket where he was AA. Obviously restructured contract. I’m assuming he’s got 3-4 year in our window. Trading out older players is a Hawthorn thing to do.

GVGjr
22-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Great suggestion

DOG GOD
22-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Left of centre.

I don’t follow Hawthorn, would they want to keep Wingard, or trade him for something towards the rebuild and freed salary? I’m sure we don’t need his midfield minutes and could put him in the pocket where he was AA. Obviously restructured contract. I’m assuming he’s got 3-4 year in our window. Trading out older players is a Hawthorn thing to do.

Personally I think we dodged a massive bullet with Wingard. Of all the games I’ve seen him play since leaving Port, I’d probably count those great games on 1 hand. He just doesn’t have that spark. I think Port would be very happy they let him go when they did.