PDA

View Full Version : Miller says Tigers have raw talent - Is he serious?

GVGjr
07-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Miller says Tigers have raw talent
05 January 2008 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

RICHMOND football director Greg Miller sees North Melbourne of the early 1990s when he casts his well-trained eye over Richmond of 2008.

While conceding there is no Wayne Carey on the Richmond list, Miller, who put together North Melbourne's 1996 and 1999 premiership teams, said the general talent levels were comparable.

"I have been in footy a long time and I think this group is as talented as the early '90s at the Kangaroos, there is no doubt about it," Miller said yesterday as he watched Richmond players resume training after the Christmas break. "And certainly with more depth.

"It might not have a Wayne Carey, but it's got plenty of Wayne Schwasses and even a couple of Glenn Archer-types.

"And Geelong showed you don't need a Carey. Geelong showed if you have plenty of depth across all lines, which we are developing, you don't have to have a Carey."

Miller said an encouraging pre-season combined with a solid final four matches of the 2007 season gave the club strong hope it would climb the ladder this year.

The Tigers finished last season with the wooden spoon and just three wins and a draw. But two of those victories came in Rounds 19-22, against eventual preliminary finalist Collingwood and Essendon, along with brave losses to West Coast and St Kilda.

"The last four games of last year was exciting for our members to see and was indicative of what we can expect to see this year," Miller said.

"(Coach) Terry (Wallace), unashamedly, the day he arrived at the club, said this unit needed to have the same model as the Geelong Football Club, in terms of building a side.

"He said it required patience, and for people at the top of the footy club sticking together, and that is what we have done.

"We've assembled a great bunch of quality young men."

Serious injury setbacks to key players have hindered the Tigers' progress in the past two years, but most important players are expected to be ready by Round 1.

"I think with what some of the guys have been through in the past couple of years - Nathan Brown, Chris Newman, Mark Coughlan and Troy Simmonds - will actually help our leadership," Miller said.

"They've missed so much footy and been through some hard times that they appreciate every opportunity they get now, and in some ways, I think they will be better for it in terms of what they can offer not just in their football but their leadership.

"They are hungry to get back out there."

The players chose a bad day to resume training after the Christmas break with the temperature already nudging 30C and a compulsory fitness assessment time trial lap of the Tan awaiting them yesterday morning.

Cameron Howat was the first Tiger to complete the 3.8km course in about 13 minutes.

Daniel Jackson and Chris Hyde were next home, about 40m behind Howat. Star forward Matthew Richardson took around 14 minutes.

GVGjr
07-01-2008, 07:30 AM
For mine the Tigers list is going nowhere so I'm surprised to see Greg Miller talking them up. How do you rate the Tigers? Are they a serious contender for the top 8?

The Underdog
07-01-2008, 09:13 AM
For mine the Tigers list is going nowhere so I'm surprised to see Greg Miller talking them up. How do you rate the Tigers? Are they a serious contender for the top 8?

I don't think they're a serious contender for the top 8 at all. They have very little ruck depth. Their tall defenders are suspect. They have some good on ballers but not anyone I'd classify as a game breaker, and they essentially lack class and finish when they have it. Coughlan may be their best mid and he's coming off 2 serious injuries. They do have a tall forward target who works his arse off, but he's still Richo when he gets it. They'll be better if they have N.Brown for a full season at full fitness.
I think they actually started to show some good signs towards the end of last year and they showed soe guts at times, but they'll struggle to move out of the bottom 4.

I wish we had a couple of Archers. Maybe they have them in talent but not in eveything else he brought to a game

Sockeye Salmon
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
15th will be a good result for them.

Cyberdoggie
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
tell him he's dreamin!

LostDoggy
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
The Tigers might surprise. I wonder what difference McMahon will make?

Any team with Richo and Browny in the forward line will be hard to contain.

Sockeye Salmon
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
The Tigers might surprise. I wonder what difference McMahon will make?

Any team with Richo and Browny in the forward line will be hard to contain.

And any team with Will Thursfield as their no 1 defender will get smashed.

Bulldog Revolution
07-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think they're a serious contender for the top 8 at all. They have very little ruck depth. Their tall defenders are suspect. They have some good on ballers but not anyone I'd classify as a game breaker, and they essentially lack class and finish when they have it. Coughlan may be their best mid and he's coming off 2 serious injuries. They do have a tall forward target who works his arse off, but he's still Richo when he gets it. They'll be better if they have N.Brown for a full season at full fitness.
I think they actually started to show some good signs towards the end of last year and they showed soe guts at times, but they'll struggle to move out of the bottom 4.

Good post Underdog

I think this sums up a lot of where they are at - they could make the 8 if absolutely everything fell magically into place for them but it seems somewhat unlikely to me.

Apart from us, they perhaps have the worst pipeline of key position players in the competition

hujsh
07-01-2008, 03:55 PM
If they can not finish 9th then the supporters will be happy

FrediKanoute
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I think Miller is talking them up a bit to generate members, no different to what most club people do this time of year. I don't think they will finish n the 8, but I do think they will be more competitive and I do thnk that they have a pretty good list of young raw players who should in 3 to 4 years time mature into good footballers. They have drafted guys like Deledio, Riewolt, Collard, Hughes, Meyer, Oakley-Nichols etc and added Polak, Morten, McMahon, Simonds etc. All in all a good base on which to build. Coupled with that are good honest hard at it footballers like Coughlan, Raines and Tuck and they are not that bad a team. The Tigers need time which I don't really think Terry has. With Richo and Brown both nearing the end of their careers and terry having provided 3/4 fruitless seasons the faithful at Tigerland are not going to be too happy about another 2-4 years of development!

Sockeye Salmon
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
They have drafted guys like Deledio, Riewolt, Collard, Hughes, Meyer, Oakley-Nichols etc and added Polak, Morten, McMahon, Simonds etc.

Deledio was a number 1 pick and will be a good player. I don't think much of Reiwoldt, he looks too slow to me, Collard has been sacked by 1 club already, Hughes was playing with Coburg reserves, Meyer and Oakley-Nichols are just VFL players at best.

You left out their dreadful pick 3, Tambling. He runs fast.

5 year plan won't be long enough, Terry.

Topdog
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Deledio was a number 1 pick and will be a good player. I don't think much of Reiwoldt, he looks too slow to me, Collard has been sacked by 1 club already, Hughes was playing with Coburg reserves, Meyer and Oakley-Nichols are just VFL players at best.

5 year plan won't be long enough, Terry.

Bar Collard who I'm not prepared to comment about (don't know enough about him) I agree.

Bulldog Revolution
08-01-2008, 12:17 PM

I think thats harsh Sockeye, I actually think Tambling is coming along reasonable well and will still be a good player - its just that Franklin has surprised all

LostDoggy
08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Tambling was pick 4, Griffen was 3.
Tambling was way overated, he might be a good player one day but not worthy of pick 4.

Why we talking about Richmond anyway? Miller and Wallace won't at Richmond this time next year.

Cyberdoggie
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Tambling was pick 4, Griffen was 3.
Tambling was way overated, he might be a good player one day but not worthy of pick 4.

Why we talking about Richmond anyway? Miller and Wallace won't at Richmond this time next year.

party at my house when wallet gets the sack!

:D

LostDoggy
11-01-2008, 01:31 AM
To put it breifly- you can't polish a turd!

But seriously, im quite sceptical of the Tigers, i can never seem to take them seriously. The addition of McMahon could help them, i don't think his poor attitude will hinder the group- they THRIVE off Nathan Brown, and we all know what a lovely lad he is. Ahem.

I honestly couldn't care what anyone thinks of the Tigers and their promising future- I'll believe it when i see it!