PDA

View Full Version : High praise for rookie Lynch

bornadog
17-02-2017, 06:03 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-02-17/high-praise-for-rookie-lynch)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/4737571487300182106-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

When you think of elite ball users at the Bulldogs, you think of Bob Murphy, but according to Steven King, you should also consider young Western Australian Brad Lynch.

Taken with the Dogs’ first pick in the 2015 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, Lynch impressed at VFL level last season, and will get his chance to ply his trade against AFL talent this weekend in the opening game of the JLT Community Series.

In 22 games for Footscray last season, Lynch rated above average for disposals and uncontested possessions and rated elite for kicking and disposal efficiency, eliciting some high praise from the Bulldogs backline coach.

“He’s probably on par with Murph with his kicking skills - both feet - he’s got lightning speed and he’s a really good athlete, King said.

“You’ll see him play down back, across half back, potentially on the wing as well. Good speed, good athlete and a great user of the footy.

“He’s a pretty exciting prospect for us.”
At the other end of the spectrum is Murphy himself, who Kings says has worked hard over the summer and is ready to return for his eighteenth season at the Club.

“He’s been going really well, he joined in the full training match sim post-Christmas, King said.

“He’s had a good couple of month block where he’s been upping his intensity and he’s fit back in, especially down back with all of the stuff we’ve done at training.

“He hasn’t missed a beat really all pre-season.”

The Bulldogs take on Melbourne at 4:40pm this Saturday at VU Whitten Oval, followed by an AFLW clash with the Demons at 7:40pm.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 06:12 PM
I think there's going to be a lot of interest for him by the end of the season. Can we actually contract him throughout the year as the rules are (rookie to senior list), knowing we 100% get him in an upgrade? I can't recall it being done by us, vaguely I recall Peverill at Essendon maybe doing it.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 06:16 PM
I think there's going to be a lot of interest for him by the end of the season. Can we actually contract him throughout the year as the rules are (rookie to senior list), knowing we 100% get him in an upgrade? I can't recall it being done by us, vaguely I recall Peverill at Essendon maybe doing it.

Who does he replace.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Who does he replace.

We need to cut three players at the end of the year, so there's a spot for him. I'm not interested in this year, or list management, but whether the rules allow us to offer a 2016 rookie a 2017+ senior contract? (If we wanted to lock him away)

We know we can draft him with a nothing pick with certainty, just if there's rules or precedent around it. The more I think about Peverill was that he was dropped back to the rookie list with the LTI player coming back, but Essendon may have offered him a contract to keep him locked in.

GVGjr
17-02-2017, 08:25 PM
He's a good chance to become a regular senior player. I like the fact that we have both he and Williams who can alternate between a back flank or a wing. His balance and kicking with both feet really stand out.

kruder
17-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Who does he replace.

Should replace Hamilton who doesn't have an AFL trait. Lynch has more upside than Webb Dale Honey and Hamilton for mine.

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Should replace Hamilton who doesn't have an AFL trait. Lynch has more upside than Webb Dale Honey and Hamilton for mine.

He is a nice shit at goal but I don't see it. The coaches must like him though or they wouldn't have recontracted him.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 09:35 PM
He is a nice shit at goal but I don't see it. The coaches must like him though or they wouldn't have recontracted him.

I love a good shit at goal. First thing in the morning.

comrade
17-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Has the ability to reach JJ levels, IMO. Only real knock on his game is his defensive pressure. He does shy away from the really physical stuff which should hopefully improve as he develops.

Very bullish on him.

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Has the ability to reach JJ levels, IMO. Only real knock on his game is his defensive pressure. He does shy away from the really physical stuff which should hopefully improve as he develops.
Very bullish on him.

He's just a kid, we can't expect him to be Glenn Archer.yet. But like you say he should develop that as he works on it in the next couple of years.

When he does he will be a weapon off halfback if they are comparing him to Murph.

Bulldog Joe
18-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I really like Lynch, but I am concerned with his defensive ability.

If he gets that defensive side right, he will be a terrific player.

I see him more in the Isaac Smith mould, where he can be a terrific outside player, but really need a system that gets the ball to him.

lemmon
19-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I really like Lynch, but I am concerned with his defensive ability.

If he gets that defensive side right, he will be a terrific player.

I see him more in the Isaac Smith mould, where he can be a terrific outside player, but really need a system that gets the ball to him.

Agree with that, I thought some of his defensive work was dicey last year - much of that you can put down to being a first year player though. I wouldn't mind him spending some more time through the middle for Footscray, our midfield lacks that creative, running type.

Mofra
22-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I rate Bailey Dale, elite finishers are worth their weight in gold when the pressure is on (see Stringer - on a crap day - nail a half chance in the GF).
Webb I have worries about, I like Lynch's offense but not convince on his defensive side yet.

Bailey Williams I'm a huge fan of. Looked composed at AFL level last year, just has the disposal and decision making and movement to really be a weapon for us. I expect he'll take JJ's career trajectory and he'll be massive for us in a couple of years post-Bob & Boyd.

Sedat
22-02-2017, 10:26 PM
I rate Bailey Dale, elite finishers are worth their weight in gold when the pressure is on.
Yep, just have a look at his beautifully weighted short pass inside 50 to Bont late in the game against Adelaide last year - brilliant vision, decision making and execution that most players would not have even considered. I've got similar hopes that Dale will become a player.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Yep, just have a look at his beautifully weighted short pass inside 50 to Bont late in the game against Adelaide last year - brilliant vision, decision making and execution that most players would not have even considered. I've got similar hopes that Dale will become a player.

Ditto. He had three crucial touches in that last quarter, and I'd argue he won that game for us. I've heard Bevo personally talk high about BD and ability to play multiple positions, but I'm not exactly sure where he's going to play right now. So I'm a little confused, but I really, really rate his potential, and with another pre-season and more bulk (remembering he looked 12 when we drafted him) should really help. To go up as a side we need some kids to pressure the MC with white hot form, and I'd have money Dale will be one of them.

Twodogs
22-02-2017, 10:36 PM
I rate Bailey Dale, elite finishers are worth their weight in gold when the pressure is on (see Stringer - on a crap day - nail a half chance in the GF).
Webb I have worries about, I like Lynch's offense but not convince on his defensive side yet.

Bailey Williams I'm a huge fan of. Looked composed at AFL level last year, just has the disposal and decision making and movement to really be a weapon for us. I expect he'll take JJ's career trajectory and he'll be massive for us in a couple of years post-Bob & Boyd.

Ditto. He had three crucial touches in that last quarter, and I'd argue he won that game for us. I've heard Bevo personally talk high about BD and ability to play multiple positions, but I'm not exactly sure where he's going to play right now. So I'm a little confused, but I really, really rate his potential, and with another pre-season and more bulk (remembering he looked 12 when we drafted him) should really help. To go up as a side we need some kids to pressure the MC with white hot form, and I'd have money Dale will be one of them.

I'm a big Bailey Dale fan. Great Vision.

bornadog
28-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Good Luck to Brad Lynch on his debut tomorrow night.

Jumper presentation here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-28/lynch-to-debut-for-bulldogs)

GVGjr
28-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Good Luck to Brad Lynch on his debut tomorrow night.

Jumper presentation here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-28/lynch-to-debut-for-bulldogs)

A very spirited presentation. Lets hope he has a great debut game.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Had some really important moments and didn't look out of place, at all really. Let's see some more of him.

westdog54
30-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Stood up superbly. Can he sustain it and earn an elevation?

Remi Moses
30-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Keeps that up and he’ll be elevated
Has some great attributes

bornadog
30-06-2018, 01:28 AM
Started off slowly but soon adapted to the pace of AFL and his confidence grew. Pretty good skills and kicking was excellent. Even took the kick out sometimes from Goal.

boydogs
30-06-2018, 01:45 AM
Really looks like the type better suited to the AFL than the VFL - turn of pace, takes the game on

ratsmac
30-06-2018, 01:53 AM
Really looks like the type better suited to the AFL than the VFL - turn of pace, takes the game on

Yeah I agree. The fast pace of the game really suited him to a tee.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2018, 09:05 AM
He did really well. Brings something with his pace and his kicking is definitely something we need.

GVGjr
30-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Fantastic that he gets to play in a game like that. He won't forget it
And he knows he contributed well to a great win. Confidence boosting for him to come into a team that worked so hard. The bar has been set.

westdog54
30-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Started off slowly but soon adapted to the pace of AFL and his confidence grew. Pretty good skills and kicking was excellent. Even took the kick out sometimes from Goal.

The kick out he took late was an absolute peach. Hit his target bang on the 50.

azabob
30-06-2018, 02:18 PM
The kick out he took late was an absolute peach. Hit his target bang on the 50.

The kick from inside the centre square where he hit Schache in the goal square was also a great kick.

Testekill
30-06-2018, 04:11 PM
I thought Ghosty was very impressive; looked much better than at VFL level although I suppose that's thanks to being able to slip under the radar. He has a lot of great attributes and we'll be laughing if he kicks on because he has both pace and footskills which is something we badly need.

bornadog
30-06-2018, 04:18 PM
I thought Ghosty was very impressive; looked much better than at VFL level although I suppose that's thanks to being able to slip under the radar. He has a lot of great attributes and we'll be laughing if he kicks on because he has both pace and footskills which is something we badly need.

He played a similar game in the VFL last week. I think it was Smads57 who said that Etihad would suit him.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2018, 03:34 PM
hayne Hope ��
‏Verified account
@shayne_hope
34m34 minutes ago
More
Random stat that was quirky enough to share... @westernbulldogs youngster Brad Lynch has racked up more disposals in his first three AFL games than every Brownlow Medal winner this century did, except for Dusty.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2018, 03:39 PM
hayne Hope ��
‏Verified account
@shayne_hope
34m34 minutes ago
More
Random stat that was quirky enough to share... @westernbulldogs youngster Brad Lynch has racked up more disposals in his first three AFL games than every Brownlow Medal winner this century did, except for Dusty.

So Lynch's manager is re-tweeting this to Sam Power for an immediate contract? :D

Axe Man
18-07-2018, 03:46 PM
hayne Hope ��
‏Verified account
@shayne_hope
34m34 minutes ago
More

57 disposals at 78.9% efficiency in his first 3 games is impressive. If he can reduce the clangers (9) and the free kick differential (1 for, 6 against) a little he will be well on his way.

Obviously his instinct to take players on is going to lead to errors at times but as others have said, hopefully with more experience he can recognise when to pull the trigger and when to play it safe.

Mofra
18-07-2018, 03:51 PM
57 disposals at 78.9% efficiency in his first 3 games is impressive. If he can reduce the clangers (9) and the free kick differential (1 for, 6 against) a little he will be well on his way.

Obviously his instinct to take players on is going to lead to errors at times but as others have said, hopefully with more experience he can recognise when to pull the trigger and when to play it safe.
Your second sentence describe Bailey Williams' rise to form, within 18 months he's gone from maybe to fringe to defender to best 22 who can play multiple roles. Lynch has a chance to mirror that rise.

Lynch is more outside than Williams but speed and the ability to use the ball well by foot are always welcome in our side. Glad to see him doing so well.

bornadog
18-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Lynch’s obscure stat record (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-07-18/lynchs-obscure-stat-record-)

Some stats are obscure and easily massaged to support a point, and others a pretty straight forward, like total disposals.

But not many are both substantial and quirky enough to guarantee you trivia night success like this one regarding Dogs’ rookie Brad Lynch.

But facts are facts, and in a stat dug out by journalist Shane Hope of The West Australian, Brad Lynch’s 57 disposals are the most collected by every Brownlow Medallist this century except for Tigers star Dustin Martin.

You read that right. Dangerfield? 27 over three games. Ablett? 27. Chris Judd? 48. The list goes on, and only Martin’s 61 has the former Mandurah speedster covered.

The 21-year-old is averaging 19 disposals, three marks and two tackles over his opening three games, playing with a combination of confidence and flair since he debuted against Geelong in round 15.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said Lynch has come a long way since he was taken with the 11th pick in the 2015 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, and has benefited from adding some physicality to his game.

“Over the course of the three years he's come on in that regard,” he said.

“Coming from a long way back, Lynchy's 10-12 kilos heavier than he was when he first came to us.

“He's got that strength and confidence from that which helped his game.”

EasternWest
18-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Your second sentence describe Bailey Williams' rise to form, within 18 months he's gone from maybe to fringe to defender to best 22 who can play multiple roles.

Really good comparison. It felt like Williams really transitioned this year. Hopefully with another preseason or two Lynch can follow.

ledge
18-07-2018, 06:08 PM
It's his third year did we take him again under the rookie list ?
Must have seen something coming.

jeemak
18-07-2018, 07:51 PM
It's his third year did we take him again under the rookie list ?
Must have seen something coming.

Pick 11, 2015 Rookie Draft - from Swan Districts. Here's his draft highlights:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-27/rookie-pick-11-brad-lynch

Topdog
19-07-2018, 01:12 PM
I have been seriously impressed with him. Very pleasantly surprised.

Dancin' Douggy
20-07-2018, 12:11 PM
I have been seriously impressed with him. Very pleasantly surprised.

Me too. Very impressed. A keeper for sure.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Both Lynch Richards and Williams gives us a badly injection of pace into the side. We are now getting a further injection of good defenders allowing Williams to move into the midfield which needs bolstering and Crozier to half forward.