PDA

View Full Version : What game do you regret not attending?

westdog54
02-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Inspired by Jeemak and Twodogs' discussion on the Bulldogs v Collingwood thread.

We all must surely have a 'Geez I wish I was there' game or ten in our memory banks.

I can't go past the GWS prelim. I'll be eternally envious of all that were able to make the trip. The atmosphere came across on TV as being absolutely nuts. Not only that, but its the best game of football I've ever watched from start to finish.

Is there any other match, Bulldogs or otherwise, you would love to go back in time and attend?

comrade
02-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Bulldogs v Sydney 2015. The game that many within the club say was the catalyst for our rise.

1eyedog
02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Fantasy: 1954

In my lifetime: When Doug broke Ted's record. I was sick with bronchitis and could not attend. I will be eternally devastated.

The GWS Prelim was the best game I've ever been to for pure atmosphere. It was unique because it had a suburban ground feel and it was special because of the pilgrimage itself but also because it was the opposition's home ground and we outnumbered them.

Oh yeah we won too.

Webby
02-03-2017, 10:02 AM
The week 1 elimination final against WCE.

Had made a pact with a mate to go anywhere to see us play finals, but then when we drew WCE in Perrh on a THURSDAY (!!!) I simply couldn't afford to take the necessary two days off work to get there. I was filthy with the AFL for the timing!

In hindsight, I wish I'd found a way.

The other was the game at Moorabbin in 84 (I think) when we came from 40 odd points down at 3/4 time to pip the 'Aints. Had a crew of friends going, but I pulled out the morning of the game.

bornadog
02-03-2017, 10:06 AM
When Doug broke Ted's record.

That is the first game that came into my head. I was living in Asia in the 1990's and missed almost all games from 1991 to 1998 (except finals in 98), and maybe two each year when I came back during holidays.

Bulldogs v Sydney 2015. The game that many within the club say was the catalyst for our rise.

Then I read Comrade's post and yeah, I would have loved to have seen that one. My mate took his young son and also went into the rooms before and after the game - great atmosphere.

Murphy'sLore
02-03-2017, 10:28 AM
The GWS prelim, duh.

Would have LOVED to have been there -- the road trip and the whole thing. Such a special experience. You lucky buggers.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Had made a pact with a mate to go anywhere to see us play finals, but then when we drew WCE in Perrh on a THURSDAY (!!!) I simply couldn't afford to take the necessary two days off work to get there. I was filthy with the AFL for the timing!

The other was the game at Moorabbin in 84 (I think) when we came from 40 odd points down at 3/4 time to pip the 'Aints. Had a crew of friends going, but I pulled out the morning of the game.

I remember that saints game. Me, Tommy and Andrew sitting in the Huggins stand. Neil Cordy playing in from the goal square and mucking it up. Wanting to go home at 3/4 time but Janka saying "No" we were seeing it out no matter what that was the deal when we got tickets in the stand. Getting progressively smaller and quieter as the mood turned nastier and nastier until we could hold it in no longer and jump for joy when Possum Williams (I hink) kicks the winner. Rows of people in front of us turn around and start abusing us.

jazzadogs
02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
It has to be the GWS prelim for me too. I've been fortunate through the rest of my Bulldogs life (~1999-now) that I've been at most major games - finals, milestones, retirees. Moving overseas put an end to that, and I really felt like I missed out last year. It's hard to quantify but I do feel like missing the season (when I would normally attend 90% of melbourne games) lessened my joy post-GF.

Not in my lifetime, and not a game, but I wish I'd been at the Fightback rally in 89. I feel like it's a real badge of honour amongst Bulldogs.

And finally, a story of regret.
I met a guy last week, mid-20s, from Footscray who was at Oktoberfest last year with his girlfriend. Dogs won the prelim, he couldn't afford to fly home which was gut-wrenching but he was dealing with it. Day before the GF, he's found a bar in Munich showing the match, and his girlfriend tells him HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH IT BECAUSE THEY NEED TO LINE UP FOR ENTRY!!!
The fool went to Oktoberfest, still hasn't seen the match because the pain is too real, and broke up with her a week later. A week too late, some may say.

Mofra
02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Grant's 300th (and Glove's debut) against the Crows - I had a wedding to attend so couldn't go.
Still annoyed I missed it.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 01:20 PM
It has to be the GWS prelim for me too. I've been fortunate through the rest of my Bulldogs life (~1999-now) that I've been at most major games - finals, milestones, retirees. Moving overseas put an end to that, and I really felt like I missed out last year. It's hard to quantify but I do feel like missing the season (when I would normally attend 90% of melbourne games) lessened my joy post-GF.

Not in my lifetime, and not a game, but I wish I'd been at the Fightback rally in 89. I feel like it's a real badge of honour amongst Bulldogs.

And finally, a story of regret.
I met a guy last week, mid-20s, from Footscray who was at Oktoberfest last year with his girlfriend. Dogs won the prelim, he couldn't afford to fly home which was gut-wrenching but he was dealing with it. Day before the GF, he's found a bar in Munich showing the match, and his girlfriend tells him HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH IT BECAUSE THEY NEED TO LINE UP FOR ENTRY!!!
The fool went to Oktoberfest, still hasn't seen the match because the pain is too real, and broke up with her a week later. A week too late, some may say.

If I found the bar then it's bye bye Oktoberfest and anything or anyone silly enough to try and get in between me and the bar.

Oktoberfest will on again next year, exactly the same as this this year, would have been the overarching narrative.

Eastdog
02-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Great thread westdog54.

For me it's the 2 finals we played interstate last year in week 1 and 3 against the Eagles and Giants. Like many woofers that prelim final was just special. Was a nerve racking couple of hours there seeing whether we would make it through or not but we did and it will never be forgotten. Glad to have gone to that Semi final against the Hawks and of course the Grand Final against the Swans as that once like the prelim was just special as it has been so long since we last made it.

The Swans games during the season in 2015 and 2016 would have been great to attend. JJ getting the winning goal in 2016 just fantastic after coming back from injury.

Not in my era but would have loved to have witnessed the 54 premiership and also the 89 fightback (late 80s when I was born) when we saved our great club - also the classic games we played at the Western/Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Great thread westdog54.

For me it's the 2 finals we played interstate last year in week 1 and 3 against the Eagles and Giants. Like many woofers that prelim final was just special. Was a nerve racking couple of hours there seeing whether we would make it through or not but we did and it will never be forgotten. Glad to have gone to that Semi final against the Hawks and of course the Grand Final against the Swans as that once like the prelim was just special as it has been so long since we last made it.

The Swans games during the season in 2015 and 2016 would have been great to attend. JJ getting the winning goal in 2016 just fantastic after coming back from injury.

Not in my era but would have loved to have witnessed the 54 premiership and also the 89 fightback (late 80s when I was born) when we saved our great club - also the classic games we played at the Western/Whitten Oval.

What an awesome time. A thing like that really binds you to your club thick or thin because you know what footy death feels like. Losing your club isn't just an abstract notion for us.

Going from that to the premiership last year was quite a trip. I hope they have Irene Chatfield a medal too.

Mantis
02-03-2017, 02:10 PM
2000 vs Essendon

2015 vs Sydney

2016 vs West Coast

Daughter of the West
02-03-2017, 02:31 PM
The GWS prelim, duh.

Would have LOVED to have been there -- the road trip and the whole thing. Such a special experience. You lucky buggers.

It was hands down the best thing I have ever done. In my mind, better than the GF!

I wish I had gotten to see the first final v Weagles live. Sitting at Subiaco with most of the crowd totally silent would have been legendary.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Essendon, 2000.

bornadog
02-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Essendon, 2000.

It was their home final and with 46,000 attending, wasn't easy to get a ticket. At the time it was the highest I paid for a seat.

I ended up going on my own as none of my mates wanted to go. Atmosphere was electric.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Essendon, 2000.

It was their home final and with 46,000 attending, wasn't easy to get a ticket. At the time it was the highest I paid for a seat.

I ended up going on my own as none of my mates wanted to go. Atmosphere was electric.

The last of the great suburban battles. A match v Essendon where it meant something. A finals spot for us, invincibles status for them. We couldn't let them go around saying they were invincible. Bloody Essendon supporters are insufferable enough as it is.

I would love to have seen some of the old VFA matches or the Championship game V Essendon (There they are again and we are in a different comp at this stage) in 1924.

Or the game in 1898 when Port Melbourne supporters carried a red white and blue coffin in procession (or whatever the word is) through the ground up to their spot at the Barkly st end threatening to put anyone who gave them any trouble in the coffin.

Flamethrower
02-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Two stand out for me

- 2016 Preliminary Final
- 1978 Round 13 vs St Kilda - KT kicks 15 as we crack the double ton

Scraggers
03-03-2017, 03:07 AM
Living in WA there are millions of games I wished I could have been at ... too many to mention. But I'm very happy to say (brag) I was at the Sydney 2015 game and the Elimination Final Vs Eagles 2016. Most importantly though, I was at the Grand Final !!

Bulldog4life
03-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Two stand out for me

- 2016 Preliminary Final
- 1978 Round 13 vs St Kilda - KT kicks 15 as we crack the double ton

Was at the game. On of my favourites of all times.

Twodogs
03-03-2017, 02:15 PM
[/B]

Was at the game. On of my favourites of all times.

Yep. I was sitting in the John Gent stand. They used to have like a tradition in the last quarter of stamping our feet on the wooden floorboards whenever Footscray kicked a goal in the last quarter. That day gave everybody varicose veins. The soles of My feet hurt from banging them on the ground.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Yep. I was sitting in the John Gent stand. They used to have like a tradition in the last quarter of stamping our feet whenever Footscray kicked a goal in the last quarter. That day gave everybody varicose veins. The soles of My feet hurt from banging them on the ground.

Yes TD I remember the sound was huge especially the last quarter. I was standing next to our race.

Dry Rot
03-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Inspired by Jeemak and Twodogs' discussion on the Bulldogs v Collingwood thread.

We all must surely have a 'Geez I wish I was there' game or ten in our memory banks.

I can't go past the GWS prelim. I'll be eternally envious of all that were able to make the trip. The atmosphere came across on TV as being absolutely nuts. Not only that, but its the best game of football I've ever watched from start to finish.

Is there any other match, Bulldogs or otherwise, you would love to go back in time and attend?

I went to both - great games. There are some advantages to living in Sydney. :D

Can't beat the Giants prelim - most amazing sporting event I've attended.

Twodogs
03-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Lucky bastard. It must have been awesome, still I was happy in my west Footscray loungeroom watching with my son. The district lit up a bit that night. We celebrated too.

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Who would have thought? I made the trip and the rest as they say is history!

comrade
03-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Lucky.

Though I do feel blessed I made the snap decision to go to Sydney last year for our H&A game v Swans. Sitting with couple of drunk Doggies fans and seeing JJ ice it at the death was one of my all time favourite live footballing moments (up until the finals of course).

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 05:12 PM

I got tickets through, and had to go with three Essendon fans. They went home I went to the old Redback Bar in North Melbourne!

Eastdog
03-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Lucky bastard. It must have been awesome, still I was happy in my west Footscray loungeroom watching with my son. The district lit up a bit that night. We celebrated too.

Similar joy at my place as well as I watched it at home just like you Twodogs. Would have loved to have gone to the Wharf Hotel or one of the pubs in Footscray or Yarraville to watch the game but still was good watching it at home and even better going to the G the next week watching our premiership.

Sedat
03-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Final game at the kennel in 1997 against West Coke. Weather forecast was crap so my mates and I decided not to go - we missed out on some history.

Twodogs
03-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Similar joy at my place as well as I watched it at home just like you Twodogs. Would have loved to have gone to the Wharf Hotel or one of the pubs in Footscray or Yarraville to watch the game but still was good watching it at home and even better going to the G the next week watching our premiership.

It didn't even occur to me to go to the pub to watch it. I wanted to be in exactly the same spot tgat I had been in for the previous two finals. Standing and watching the game in the lounge room. The scenes in the local pubs did look pretty joyous though. Maybe I should have gone down after the game.

Final game at the kennel in 1997 against West Coke. Weather forecast was crap so my mates and I decided not to go - we missed out on some history.

That was a wild day on and off the field.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Yes wild weather. Was so glad I scored a seat in the Grandstand as usually I stood just next to our race.