PDA

View Full Version : What on-field action annoys you the most?

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm sure all our junior coaches said the same thing, the biggest stuff up you can make is kicking across goal. It was certainly one of my coaches most annoying thing for a player to do. And I agree with him, but...

For me, the most annoying thing to see is what we did a little bit last year, and Declan Hamilton did last night, that is to steal from a team mate a (non-) advantage from a free kick to a forward in a good goal scoring position. The only exception being unless a player is completely on their own and without an opposition player both behind and in front of them. Nothing annoys me more to take a non-advantage with opponents around and completely stuff up a potential goal, and it doesn't allow us time to set up to lock it forward if the set shot kick is a behind. We lose a goal or repeat entry opportunity. It's just goal hungry schoolyard BS.

So what on-field action annoys you most?

Twodogs
03-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Over eager tackling that folds the tacklee and puts their spinal colomn in danger and contact to the head. I've seen one bloke made a paraplegic on the footy field and I never want to see it happen again.

LostDoggy
03-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I absolutely hate when the opposition has possession and 3 or 4 blokes run at said player with the ball, leaving 3 or 4 opponents free on the outside.

We were massive offenders of this under Macca, thankfully I don't see it as often now.

comrade
03-03-2017, 05:00 PM
I hate hate hate when a player gets to a contest first & his opponent deliberately pushes/keeps the ball in to draw a free. Drives me mental.

On the flipside, I love Toby McLean's knack of getting his head ripped off.

Weird.

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 05:01 PM
The umpires not staying right next to the man on the mark when a player is having a shot on goal. You talk about review systems and extra umpires etc. i would say 90% of players take at least a half step to the fat side to open up the angle. Not only that they never run in on a straight line. It's allowed because it always goes unnoticed, it's hardly ever policed and it gives the player shooting on goal an unfair advantage. I'm not sure why it's not regulated aside from the umpire initially putting you on your line - from there it's purely a trust issue.

comrade
03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
This isn't a player based action but I also can't stand ruck infringements. It's an absolute chook lotto where actions are let go & then invariably punished. I especially hate it when the umpire bounces the ball unevenly in the middle and it favours one side of the centre so it's practically over the head of the ruckman, and then he is pinged for 'blocking' because the other ruck had a 5 metre run and jump. Just comical. I would prefer the rucks to do whatever they want in a contest and let the better man win. No third man up, no ruck frees, just let it ride.

Happy Days
03-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Bad skills. I absolutely take it personally when someone can't kick or handball, because if I wanted to see someone who couldn't hit a target 25m away I'd just look in a mirror.

chef
03-03-2017, 05:49 PM
The contact below the knee rule. Shits me to tears.

bornadog
03-03-2017, 06:33 PM
The contact below the knee rule. Shits me to tears.

One person in over 150 years of football gets injured and there is a knee jerk reaction from the AFEL to change the rule. Then the umpire can't get it right, except the Wood/Hannebery one in the GF - which was correct.

Many Swans whinging they should have had a free, yet Wood was there first. Hannebery comes into side bump Wood and gets his leg caught.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C54QaN4UYAAyQF0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C54ydY6UsAEVd5Z.jpg

Hotdog60
03-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Diving on the ball, one bloke tries and makes an effort the win the footy and the opposition sits on him and gets a free.

jeemak
03-03-2017, 08:10 PM
I absolutely hate when the opposition has possession and 3 or 4 blokes run at said player with the ball, leaving 3 or 4 opponents free on the outside.

We were massive offenders of this under Macca, thankfully I don't see it as often now.

I hate this. We did it under Eade regularly as well.

What really used to piss me off was when team mates of mine tried to claim advantage after a mark had been awarded. That really grinds my gears. It's always a particular type of player who does it.

The whole shepherding the person whilst they stand the mark is something I don't like.

jeemak
03-03-2017, 08:13 PM
One person in over 150 years of football gets injured and there is a knee jerk reaction from the AFEL to change the rule. Then the umpire can't get it right, except the Wood/Hannebery one in the GF - which was correct.

Many Swans whinging they should have had a free, yet Wood was there first. Hannebery comes into side bump Wood and gets his leg caught.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C54QaN4UYAAyQF0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C54ydY6UsAEVd5Z.jpg

Importantly Wood didn't slide.

LostDoggy
03-03-2017, 09:56 PM
The whole shepherding the person whilst they stand the mark is something I don't like.

Absolutely agree.

GVGjr
03-03-2017, 10:06 PM
There are quite a few actions that annoy me.
- Players falling over in a contest and not playing the percentages
- Team mates flying for marks when one of them is already in a clearly better position

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 10:27 PM
There are quite a few actions that annoy me.
- Players falling over in a contest and not playing the percentages
- Team mates flying for marks when one of them is already in a clearly better position

Oh! That reminds me. Two or three defenders all going to mark/spoil, who bring it to ground, leaving an opposition small forward to crumb an easy goal virtually uncontested. Shits me to tears.

SonofScray
03-03-2017, 10:58 PM
The pre-first bounce posturing and biffo that has replaced shaking hands. Fake tough guy bullshit.

westdog54
03-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Players using dribble kicks when they don't need to.

One of the few aspects of the game where I sympathise with Jason Dunstall.

The Underdog
04-03-2017, 12:00 AM
The pre-first bounce posturing and biffo that has replaced shaking hands. Fake tough guy bullshit.

On a similiar note, I can't stand when players win a free kick and then push the guy laying on the ground in the chest to rub it in, weak as piss.

Twodogs
04-03-2017, 12:10 AM
I hate hate hate when a player gets to a contest first & his opponent deliberately pushes/keeps the ball in to draw a free. Drives me mental.

On the flipside, I love Toby McLean's knack of getting his head ripped off.

Weird.

Makes sense to me. I see a lot of blatant ducking trying to get frees but I think most of the frees Madge gets are a result of lazy attempts to tackle him. If McLean finds it so simple to slide the tackling hand up his arm to make contact with his neck or head then it's not up to him to stop doing it. It's up to the tackler to tackle him properly

Bad skills. I absolutely take it personally when someone can't kick or handball, because if I wanted to see someone who couldn't hit a target 25m away I'd just look in a mirror.

It annoys me that a coach hasn't worked out that if he works on goalkicking and gets his team converting better then they could add extra wins to the tally at the end of the season.

KT31
04-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Taking a mark and then holding the ball up for a twirl or shoving it in the face of the opposition, wallah Buddy in the Granny.

Running into goal and showing the ball to your opponent, Judas against the Tigers? years ago and they then ran over the top of us.

Topdog
04-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Not *!*!*!*!ing shepherding your teammates. We were huge offenders of this under Eade.

Topdog
04-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Yep when it was a one off, like our last game at the Whitten Oval then it actually meant something.

GVGjr
04-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Players using dribble kicks when they don't need to.

One of the few aspects of the game where I sympathise with Jason Dunstall.

I like it when opposition sides do it but hate when we try it.

KT31
04-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Not *!*!*!*!ing shepherding your teammates. We were huge offenders of this under Eade.

Not under Eade but Wallett , I can remember a scenario where it cost us a spot in a Granny.:mad::eek::(:o

Twodogs
04-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Taking a mark and then holding the ball up for a twirl or shoving it in the face of the opposition, wallah Buddy in the Granny.

Running into goal and showing the ball to your opponent, Judas against the Tigers? years ago and they then ran over the top of us.

North. I'm pretty sure I read that Pagan had shown footage of it to the North players at halftime and thinking "they have TV sets in footy club dressing rooms now?" I think Browneye flipped the bird at some Richmond supporters.

Flamethrower
04-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Handballing to players under pressure - the fault of the handballer and recipient. Cost Mitch Wallis his season last year.

Score reviews - do it right or get rid of it. And it has be overwhelmingly conclusive to overturn a decision - if it takes longer than one second to tell that the decision was wrong, it is a guess.

Topdog
04-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Not under Eade but Wallett , I can remember a scenario where it cost us a spot in a Granny.:mad::eek::(:o

I think we did it for a good 10-15 year period to be honest. Has annoyed me for a long time.

Twodogs
04-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Handballing to players under pressure - the fault of the handballer and recipient. Cost Mitch Wallis his season last year.

Score reviews - do it right or get rid of it. And it has be overwhelmingly conclusive to overturn a decision - if it takes longer than one second to tell that the decision was wrong, it is a guess.

Good point about the score reviews. It almost cost us a grand final last year. Could you imagine how we'd be going on about it still if it had things the way they usually do after JJ's overturned goal and the Swans had swept it up the other end and kicked a goal and they had won?

In fact our win has kind of swept that under the carpet. I don't think there was enough evidence to overturn that decision by the goal umpire. We weren't even comparing the same things. We were comparing a static 2D image to a goal umpire on the ground who had depth perception and a 3D view of how everything lined up.

It's good for us Roughie marked the kick in and pumped it straight back but we should have had a conversation about the rules of the review system.

I think we did it for a good 10-15 year period to be honest. Has annoyed me for a long time.

And leaving Brennan Stack to fly the flag against North with Barry Hall when he took them on. We've had some embarrassing moments of leaving teammates in the lurch when it came to physicality and sticking up for teammates in the last two decades. Happily over the last few years we have worked on this and now we are at the stage now where teams just don't start with us because they know it'll be returned with plenty of interest.

LostDoggy
08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
I hate when players crowd the umpires trying to force a decision.

Plus zoning off a player with the ball.

craigsahibee
08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
North. I'm pretty sure I read that Pagan had shown footage of it to the North players at halftime and thinking "they have TV sets in footy club dressing rooms now?" I think Browneye flipped the bird at some Richmond supporters.

I thought it was against the Cats at Optus Oval late 90's when he kicked a bag (7?). Nafe probably did it it more than once though.

KT31
08-03-2017, 02:15 PM

I thought it was against the Cats at Optus Oval late 90's when he kicked a bag (7?). Nafe probably did it it more than once though.

North in this article but you are right craigsahibee I'm sure he did it more than once.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/home/brownie-points-the-best-stories-of-the-footy-season

soupman
09-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Technically off field but I hate it when the crowd cracks the shits over the outcomes of goal reviews.

I understand that the delay is often farcical, but when they boo because the result is not what they wanted, despite video evidence proving it is the right call, then that's really annoying.

craigsahibee
09-03-2017, 12:00 PM
North in this article but you are right craigsahibee I'm sure he did it more than once.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/home/brownie-points-the-best-stories-of-the-footy-season

KT31 I remember him flipping the bird against Norf.

I was referring to him running into the goal square and showing the ball to the opposition. Definitely remember him doing it against the Cats in Round 2 1999. As I said, he is the sort of character to have done it more than once and not have learnt his lesson.

Remember, he did the double fist pump at the end of a game to celebrate a Draw. He's a unique character our Nafe.

jeemak
09-03-2017, 12:58 PM

I take your point regarding Wallis, though you could argue handballing to players under pressure was a massive factor in us winning a flag!

Twodogs
09-03-2017, 01:09 PM
KT31 I remember him flipping the bird against Norf.

I was referring to him running into the goal square and showing the ball to the opposition. Definitely remember him doing it against the Cats in Round 2 1999. As I said, he is the sort of character to have done it more than once and not have learnt his lesson.

Remember, he did the double fist pump at the end of a game to celebrate a Draw. He's a unique character our Nafe.

He thought Richmond had won. But, hey it's Richmond, they will celebrate any points they get.