PDA

View Full Version : Chris Scott says AFL coaches need to learn from Western Bulldogs’ flicking-style handballs at contest

bornadog
21-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Link (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/chris-scott-says-afl-coaches-need-to-learn-from-western-bulldogs-flickingstyle-handballs-at-contest/news-story/1800397e1dee79a503139a7eb298a88b)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4dcf5e4dcc3ddc6dc7a23a570c184583GEELONG coach Chris Scott says AFL players are getting away with “flicking” the ball rather than conventionally handballing, due to an encouragement to move the ball quickly in the modern game.

The Bulldogs made a big impression with their rapid-fire handballs to clear the ball from congestion during their run to the 2016 premiership.

Scott said the definition of a handball looked to have changed in recent years, with the Dogs in particular known for their tendency to “flick” the ball around, and that other AFL coaches needed to adapt to deal with that.

“Even the way the rules have evolved, or not evolved in this situation, what constituted a handball five years ago is different to now,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I hope this doesn’t sound disparaging towards the Bulldogs ... it doesn’t really have anything to do with them except they’re really good exponents of it.

“But it’s just the lawmakers and the umpires are saying ‘we can’t tell if you’re throwing it or not, so we’re going to give you the benefit of the doubt, unless we’re sure you did throw it.’”

Scott said it was difficult to pick up on whether some handballs were actually throws, even on slow motion vision.

The Geelong coach said he felt teams were encouraged to move the ball on quickly, which facilitated those looking to flick the ball out of contests.

“It’s hard for the umpires ... we’ve slowed it down at times and even in slow motion you can’t tell,” he said.

“It’s not a criticism of the umpires either, but coaches shouldn’t try to influence the rules too much in my view, but we do have a responsibility to get with the program.

“So that’s one part of their game where I think teams are saying ‘yeah, you can flick it around and clear the congestion’ even if it’s sort of throwing it over your head or tunnel balling it.

“I think the lawmakers have implicitly encouraged teams to do it because we want the ball to clear the congestion or get it going — it doesn’t matter how it gets out, just get it out of there.”

Scott said coaches needed to learn from what the best teams did well, with the Bulldogs’ handball game one example of a clever, if small, point of difference.
“I think you’re not being professional in your position if you don’t analyse what the good teams are doing,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I think it’s a little different when you have a team like say, Hawthorn, that were for a period clearly the best team in the comp.

“The Bulldogs deserved what they got but they did finish seventh, it wasn’t as if they had this competitive advantage that just blew everyone away.

“But that part of their game was relatively unique.”

bornadog
21-03-2017, 02:48 PM
I hate the Scott Brothers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Despite Chris Scott going out of his way to say 'he hoped it didn't come across as sour grapes; I can't help but feel that they doth protest too much...and it is precisely sour grapes... especially in Geelong's case, given we've not beaten them during Chris Scott's reign

craigsahibee
21-03-2017, 03:08 PM
So in summary, what that filthy little germ said was "The Bulldogs cheated but the Umpires weren't quick enough to pick them up, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Topdog
21-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm not even sure what he is trying to say

bulldogtragic
21-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Dogs cheated, and umpires let them. So since that's ok for them, we will do it too.

Remi Moses
21-03-2017, 03:51 PM
The Scott brothers
Ordinary humans

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Dogs cheated, and umpires let them. So since that's ok for them, we will do it too.

He said we cheated but even in slow motion it's not possible to tell if we cheated. But we did cheat. And it's not sour grapes. But he's being a sour grape. And it's not meant to be disparaging. But he's being disparaging.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Jealousy and tall poppy syndrome at it's worst. Can't say i'm at all surprised when it's coming from either one of the brothers. For some reason Chris thinks he has some sort of opinion that stands amongst premiership coaches. Even though he was merely an inanimate carbon rod in the premiership geelong won. Heck i could have sat in the chair and told the players to go play that year.

Ozza
21-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Jealousy and tall poppy syndrome at it's worst. Can't say i'm at all surprised when it's coming from either one of the brothers. For some reason Chris thinks he has some sort of opinion that stands amongst premiership coaches. Even though he was merely an inanimate carbon rod in the premiership geelong won. Heck i could have sat in the chair and told the players to go play that year.

In rod we trust!

Axe Man
21-03-2017, 05:05 PM
“But it’s just the lawmakers and the umpires are saying ‘we can’t tell if you’re throwing it or not, so we’re going to give you the benefit of the doubt, unless we’re sure you did throw it.’”

Wouldn't this always have been the way the rule is meant to be umpired? Umpires should only pay a free kick if they clearly see an infringement, the last thing they should do is guess.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't this always have been the way the rule is meant to be umpired? Umpires should only pay a free kick if they clearly see an infringement, the last thing they should do is guess.

How dare you try to insert facts into a SBS (Scott Brother Sulk).

comrade
21-03-2017, 05:46 PM
He's just following Clarko's lead & giving this more air time to ensure umpire scrutiny is at extreme levels during our games. He's scared of us.

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Link (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/chris-scott-says-afl-coaches-need-to-learn-from-western-bulldogs-flickingstyle-handballs-at-contest/news-story/1800397e1dee79a503139a7eb298a88b)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4dcf5e4dcc3ddc6dc7a23a570c184583GEELONG coach Chris Scott says AFL players are getting away with “flicking” the ball rather than conventionally handballing, due to an encouragement to move the ball quickly in the modern game.

The Bulldogs made a big impression with their rapid-fire handballs to clear the ball from congestion during their run to the 2016 premiership.

Scott said the definition of a handball looked to have changed in recent years, with the Dogs in particular known for their tendency to “flick” the ball around, and that other AFL coaches needed to adapt to deal with that.

“Even the way the rules have evolved, or not evolved in this situation, what constituted a handball five years ago is different to now,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I hope this doesn’t sound disparaging towards the Bulldogs ... it doesn’t really have anything to do with them except they’re really good exponents of it.

Scott said it was difficult to pick up on whether some handballs were actually throws, even on slow motion vision.

The Geelong coach said he felt teams were encouraged to move the ball on quickly, which facilitated those looking to flick the ball out of contests.

“It’s hard for the umpires ... we’ve slowed it down at times and even in slow motion you can’t tell,” he said.

“It’s not a criticism of the umpires either, but coaches shouldn’t try to influence the rules too much in my view, but we do have a responsibility to get with the program.

“So that’s one part of their game where I think teams are saying ‘yeah, you can flick it around and clear the congestion’ even if it’s sort of throwing it over your head or tunnel balling it.

“I think the lawmakers have implicitly encouraged teams to do it because we want the ball to clear the congestion or get it going — it doesn’t matter how it gets out, just get it out of there.”

Scott said coaches needed to learn from what the best teams did well, with the Bulldogs’ handball game one example of a clever, if small, point of difference.
“I think you’re not being professional in your position if you don’t analyse what the good teams are doing,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I think it’s a little different when you have a team like say, Hawthorn, that were for a period clearly the best team in the comp.

“The Bulldogs deserved what they got but they did finish seventh, it wasn’t as if they had this competitive advantage that just blew everyone away.

Talk about Salty.
Cry me a river Scotty boys you pair of Leigh Matthews flog cast offs!!!!!

Topdog
21-03-2017, 09:39 PM
He said we cheated but even in slow motion it's not possible to tell if we cheated. But we did cheat. And it's not sour grapes. But he's being a sour grape. And it's not meant to be disparaging. But he's being disparaging.

yes exactly, thats what i meant by not sure what he is trying to say

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 09:40 PM

I'm not even sure He knows what he's saying :confused:

Mofra
21-03-2017, 09:49 PM
His team are an injury to Dangerfield away from a bottom 4 finish.
How he had his contract extended (much against the wishes of the bulk of their fans) is a mystery.

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 09:52 PM
How he had his contract extended (much against the wishes of the bulk of their fans) is a mystery.

Did i hear right that he got another 3 years and we havn't even started the new season yet Mofra?

jeemak
21-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Did i hear right that he got another 3 years and we havn't even started the new season yet Mofra?

Extended this week.

jeemak
21-03-2017, 10:10 PM

Typical hubris that seems to engulf most clubs after a successful patch.

It's happening at Hawthorn now, though of course they can't see that yet.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Extended this week.

Those brothers both seem to get extra years far beyond what is sensible. Good luck to Geelong in two and three years time when missing out draft after draft they're in the same hole North are currently in. Alternatively, they can all go *!*!*!*! themselves.

jeemak
21-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Whilst I think Brad is a wanker I do think he can coach. I'm not sold on Chris, with the favourable playing advantage they receive over and above any other heartland club, he's dining out on a few good players and a top four team that happened to win a GF in the soft year in which he started.

His commentary around our finishing position and not reconciling it with the health of our list throughout the year versus throughout the finals shows just how narrow minded and simple some AFL coaches are. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, when we were healthy for three rounds at the start of the year we looked to be at the top of the comp. When we got healthy again - well almost healthy - by the end of the year we were definitely at the top of the comp.

You don't pull that amazing level of football from nowhere.

Twodogs
21-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Whilst I think Brad is a wanker I do think he can coach. I'm not sold on Chris, with the favourable playing advantage they receive over and above any other heartland club, he's dining out on a few good players and a top four team that happened to win a GF in the soft year in which he started.

His commentary around our finishing position and not reconciling it with the health of our list throughout the year versus throughout the finals shows just how narrow minded and simple some AFL coaches are. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, when we were healthy for three rounds at the start of the year we looked to be at the top of the comp. When we got healthy again - well almost healthy - by the end of the year we were definitely at the top of the comp.

You don't pull that amazing level of football from nowhere.

Nah. It was the chucking the ball thing. AFL umpires somehow convinced themselves they'd continue to be chosen to umpire finals so long as they suddenly allowed one team to continually commit a flagrant breach of the rules and that's the reason that team won the flag.

That sort of thing happens all the time.:rolleyes:

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 12:02 AM

That looks like a clenched fist to me in that photo of Dale flicking the ball.