PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 2 2017 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
21-03-2017, 06:08 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 2 2017 match against Sydney Swans at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
24-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
24-03-2017, 11:27 PM
In:

Campbell, Smith/Dunkley

Out:

Daniel, Jong

Hopefully Moz plays through it, or Adams/Collins comes in on form.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2017, 12:00 AM
We looked poor in our stoppage work tonight, so without VFL games to draw on, the selection committee is going to have to scrutinise training efforts even more than usual.
In: Campbell and one of Smith/Dunkley pending form on the track

Out: Jong.......Boyd....

I thought Boyd worked admirably early on and looked as comfortable as ever I've seen him in the ruck. However I thought he laboured as the game wore on and looked slow, indecisive and his marking was very poor.
As for Jong, whilst his tackle count was massive at 14, I think that was more testament to him being second to the ball more often than not. Just not a factor tonight.
I thought that whilst Daniel executed poorly his efforts and desire to be creative was there, and his involvement was good so for me he keeps his spot.

FrediKanoute
25-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Question I have is whether Cloke, Stringer and Crameri can all work in the forward line? If you bring Campbell back, then to me it has to be for one of these 3.

1eyedog
25-03-2017, 12:43 AM
I reckon its for Cordy. Crameri played high and Stringer played a bit in the middle

The Bulldogs Bite
25-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Out - Cordy, Biggs
In - Campbell, Smith

Cordy makes way for a first ruck which we are desperate for and Biggs makes way for a contested King which we need v Sydney. With Murphy back in the side, Biggs needs to perform much better than that to hold a spot.

GVGjr
25-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Question I have is whether Cloke, Stringer and Crameri can all work in the forward line? If you bring Campbell back, then to me it has to be for one of these 3.

If Campbell comes back in as the ruckman then you have to add Boyd as the key forward. I asked the same question last year and the consensus was that both Stringer and Crameri were mid sized forwards so 2 key forwards in Cloke and Boyd and 2 mid sized forward in Crameri and Stringer along with 2 smaller guys should work. Soon Dickson will come into the frame for selection as well

I tend to think it's one too many unless Stringer is going to spend in the midfield

comrade
25-03-2017, 08:49 AM
If Campbell comes back in as the ruckman then you have to add Boyd as the key forward. I asked the same question last year and the consensus was that both Stringer and Crameri were mid sized forwards so 2 key forwards in Cloke and Boyd and 2 mid sized forward in Crameri and Stringer along with 2 smaller guys should work. Soon Dickson will come into the frame for selection as well

I tend to think it's one too many unless Stringer is going to spend in the midfield

I think you got your answer about Stringer last night. Contested at least 50% of our centre bounces so Bevo obviously wants him to get comfortable in there. He got torched though, which is a concern.

SlimPickens
25-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Out: Jong- really striggled
In: Tom campbell- we need a full time Ruck. I want Boyd playing the forward/Ruck role.

LostDoggy
25-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Suckling to make way for Dunks. Need more grunt and reliability.

Then maybe soup for Jong. Adams if moz is no good.

Mantis
25-03-2017, 09:35 AM

On last nights performance not sure we want Jake spending big minutes in the midfield. Just didn't follow the ball or his man enough when the ball was in dispute.

Scorlibo
25-03-2017, 09:42 AM
I think you got your answer about Stringer last night. Contested at least 50% of our centre bounces so Bevo obviously wants him to get comfortable in there. He got torched though, which is a concern.

Yep. Don't remember him impacting even one. Personally I don't like Stringer at centre bounces, where it's most important to be able to use your teammates. He's much more effective when there are more players around the stoppage.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2017, 09:58 AM
No change for me. It's a significantly different set up to last year and I think we need to allow some continuity for the side to adjust.

1eyedog
25-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Id bring Dicko in

josie
25-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Clay or Dunks for Biggs. Thought Biggs looked vulnerable last night, especially in first 2 quarters with some horrible blind kicks/turnovers.

I know Suckling and Daniel also turned over a few too however they also had good passages.

Jong not great either however I think Bevo will give him another week.

GVGjr
25-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Out: Jong- really striggled
In: Tom campbell- we need a full time Ruck. I want Boyd playing the forward/Ruck role.

That's the way I see it but the challenge now is around how we can set-up the forward line if we are convinced both Cloke and Boyd being there will work.

Raw Toast
25-03-2017, 11:49 AM
It's going to be very interesting at the selection table for the next few weeks at least. Collingwood went relatively tall last night, but still smashed us in the contest, and all too often spreading away from it. In turn we won the turnover battle, and had enough moments of gloriously efficient ball movement.

Can we win enough on the outside to cope with losing the contested ball? I think Bevo might keep trying, but without Wallis and a properly fit/conditioned Bontempelli, I want Smith or Dunkley in the side without dropping another mid.

I don't think Morris is going to be able to play next week, which isn't great, but for me makes selection a bit less complicated. I'd go for Smith or Dunkley in to replace him, and have JJ and Murph play more down back. I don't think Campbell is ready to play a full game, so wouldn't bring him in. If he comes in, I think he has to replace a tall.

always right
25-03-2017, 12:04 PM
After just one round I don't see Bevo making changes that aren't necessary....unless one of our VFL players forces his hand by playing a blinder i.e. Campbell. So many players were down last night.

Reckon Morris might miss several games with what looks like a calf injury so only one change....Smith for Morris. Would be interesting if Adams plays well in the VFL as there might be the temptation to bring him in for Morris which would allow us to play Murph forward like last night.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Those with queries over Jong, does the 14 tackles he laid underline his work both ways? For that reason I see him as safe for another week.

The Pie Man
25-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Dale seen on crutches getting a scan this morning. Mildly obsessing over this so any news would be appreciated

bornadog
25-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Those with queries over Jong, does the 14 tackles he laid underline his work both ways? For that reason I see him as safe for another week.

11 disposals, not good enough for a midfielder.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2017, 03:33 PM
11 disposals, not good enough for a midfielder.

Is his role to have 20+ touches each week though? There are other blokes I'd prefer getting the pill.

Dry Rot
25-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Dale seen on crutches getting a scan this morning. Mildly obsessing over this so any news would be appreciated

Doc Larkins reckons he's out for up to 6 weeks

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/dale-morris-could-miss-six-weeks-with-a-leg-injury-20170325-gv6dw8.html

GVGjr
25-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Doc Larkins reckons he's out for up to 6 weeks

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/dale-morris-could-miss-six-weeks-with-a-leg-injury-20170325-gv6dw8.html

Doesn't sound good. As a side note, Collins was running half laps with his left leg heavily strapped this morning so it will be interesting if we go small against the Swans tall forwards

comrade
25-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Doesn't sound good. As a side note, Collins was running half laps with his left leg heavily strapped this morning so it will be interesting if we go small against the Swans tall forwards

Adams is an option.

Rocco Jones
25-03-2017, 10:58 PM
In: Adams, Dunkley
Out: Morris, Jong

Remi Moses
25-03-2017, 11:42 PM
In - Adams Smith
Out -Jong Morris

Smads57
26-03-2017, 12:12 AM
If we go with Adams as a replacement for Morris, then he is going to have to clean up his disposal efficiency.

Although he got a lot of the ball in the VFL practice game against the Pies, he did turn it over more than you would want of a full backline player.

I'd go Dunkley/Smith or Webb if we believe we need better midfield grunt based on the same practice match.

Campbell also played a solid VFL game - still can't hold a mark however....

Out - Morris
In - Adams/Williams

G-Mo77
26-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I just don't think Adams is a good defender. Sure last year he bolted out of the gates but as the season progressed he got eaten up by forwards and was regularly out of position. I remember seeing him up forward at one stage there because of how poorly he was playing that game. We may not have a choice now and he has to come in and do the job, not comfortable with it but I wasn't comfortable when Hamling got a default selection either and look how that turned out.

Sedat
26-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Adams' go is peeling off to go 3rd man up but agree he's not fantastic one on one down back.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2017, 05:19 PM
In: Adams (tall defender), Dunkley/Smith (hard mid/forward), Campbell (structural change)
Out: Morris (tall defender), Jong (hard mid/forward), Daniel (structural change)

Remi Moses
26-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Adams isn't great one on one , but it depends on mid pressure .
Dale isn't going to be around forever , so it's time some stood up .

1eyedog
26-03-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm ok with Roberts and Cordy down there as our key backs.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Buddy & Reid (an upgrade on X. Richards) both kicked goals on the weekend. Tippett will be down forward also. In the GF we successfully structured up with Hamling, Roberts & Morris (& Wood). So I think we should stick with the winning formula of three key backs, and Adams is the only fit one to join Zaine & Roberts.

always right
26-03-2017, 09:34 PM
In: Adams (tall defender), Dunkley/Smith (hard mid/forward), Campbell (structural change)
Out: Morris (tall defender), Jong (hard mid/forward), Daniel (structural change)

If Daniel is out, I'll bear my arse in Barkly St.

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2017, 09:35 PM

I agree with this.

Feel we need Campbell to allow Boyd to be forward and ease into the second ruck role.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Done, and I will avoid Barkly St! :D

That was his worst game in his career to date. I don't think it's a certainty he plays.

1eyedog
26-03-2017, 09:42 PM
I agree with this.

Feel we need Campbell to allow Boyd to be forward and ease into the second ruck role.

Agree but who goes out? Jong for Campbell? Re. Daniel surely he's allowed one bad one? He did some very neat things as well.

merantau
26-03-2017, 09:49 PM
And I'll bear mine in the Mall

bornadog
26-03-2017, 09:53 PM
In Campbell

Out; Morris

Mofra
26-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Out - Cordy, Biggs
In - Campbell, Smith

Cordy makes way for a first ruck which we are desperate for and Biggs makes way for a contested King which we need v Sydney. With Murphy back in the side, Biggs needs to perform much better than that to hold a spot.
With Morris down Cordy is even more vital IMO - I actually thought he played his role as a CHB well on Friday night.

At this stage:
Out: Morris
In: Campbell

A little worried about our run however Stringer can rotate through the middle and Crameri can play high so it's really a Voyd/Cloke combo as the forwardline talls

merantau
26-03-2017, 10:41 PM
I don't think they'll be any non-compulsory changes. Hamling did a great job on Franklin last time and with Moz out that creates a conundrum for the MC. Cordy to play down back and lots of gut running by our mids to create congestion down back - team defence has done the job for us to date and will do it again. Up forward we have more fire power than last year. Sydney have the problems, not us. I'd bring Smith or Dunkley in for Moz if he doesn't get up.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 10:54 PM
I don't think they'll be any non-compulsory changes. Hamling did a great job on Franklin last time and with Moz out that creates a conundrum for the MC. Cordy to play down back and lots of gut running by our mids to create congestion down back - team defence has done the job for us to date and will do it again. Up forward we have more fire power than last year. Sydney have the problems, not us. I'd bring Smith or Dunkley in for Moz if he doesn't get up.

It was a combination of Hamling (mainly) and Morris on Franklin. I don't think Cordy has the running capacity to go with Franklin and neither does Roberts. That probably leaves Wood as the match-up.

Crameri replaces Dickson and Cloke replaces Boyd (assuming he rucks) so I'm not sure we are better up forward than last year just yet.

Eastdog
26-03-2017, 11:01 PM

I think he should be safe for another week.

jeemak
26-03-2017, 11:13 PM

What was wrong with our structure when we didn't play well and it seemed our plan and set-up practically got us over the line? Sure, bring in a defender like for like, and bolster the ruck if we've a ruck who's ready, but don't make structural changes after round one when we actually won well.

Friday night saw one coach playing a tactical game of chess, versus another playing a strategic game. The latter's team won by 14 points.

soupman
27-03-2017, 09:25 AM
I'd normally be inclined to bring Campbell in, however I don't think ruck was the issue. Boyd competed well. We did get slaughtered in the clearances but that was down to their midfielders playing much better than ours. we have hardly had a dominant ruckman so it isn't like this is anything new.

I think they'll bring in Adams which I think is a mistake. I would bring Dunkley in to add another to our rotations. Zaine and Fletcher are enough down back with Biggs and Wood in support.

Daniel had a shocker but stays, Jong still offers enough so stays, no one else is really in contention to be dropped.

So Dunkley in for Morris.

Bullies
27-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I'd normally be inclined to bring Campbell in, however I don't think ruck was the issue. Boyd competed well. We did get slaughtered in the clearances but that was down to their midfielders playing much better than ours. we have hardly had a dominant ruckman so it isn't like this is anything new.

I think they'll bring in Adams which I think is a mistake. I would bring Dunkley in to add another to our rotations. Zaine and Fletcher are enough down back with Biggs and Wood in support.

Daniel had a shocker but stays, Jong still offers enough so stays, no one else is really in contention to be dropped.

So Dunkley in for Morris.Adams was ordinary in the 2's Friday night. Dickson also looked a fair way off as well which is expected. Smith played well and I think they missed his pressure on Friday night keeping the ball in the forward line. It seemed to get out a bit easier than last year in the forward 50 although it was the first game and they were spent from the pace of the game.

Mantis
27-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Adams was ordinary in the 2's Friday night. Dickson also looked a fair way off as well which is expected. Smith played well and I think they missed his pressure on Friday night keeping the ball in the forward line. It seemed to get out a bit easier than last year in the forward 50 although it was the first game and they were spent from the pace of the game.

We had 25 scoring shots from 44 entries so forward pressure was not an issue.

soupman
27-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Adams was ordinary in the 2's Friday night. Dickson also looked a fair way off as well which is expected. Smith played well and I think they missed his pressure on Friday night keeping the ball in the forward line. It seemed to get out a bit easier than last year in the forward 50 although it was the first game and they were spent from the pace of the game.

I considered Smith but I see him as more of a forward than Dunkley who is more capable in the middle. Seeing as our forwardline is already pretty stacked and our midfield was poor I went for Dunkley.

With the potential of JJ and Murphy rotating through up forward effectively Smith and McLean are fighting for the only remaining spot, which is possibly taken by Dickson once fit.

Ozza
27-03-2017, 09:58 AM

I'll be there with you.
Thought he played very well on Friday night aside from a couple of errors. Good things happen more often than not when he gets the ball, and some of his tap ons and clean hands off the ground open the door for us to break away.

Ozza
27-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Done, and I will avoid Barkly St! :D

That was his worst game in his career to date. I don't think it's a certainty he plays.

Worst game in his career?

Have another watch.

chef
27-03-2017, 10:18 AM
I'd be happy to replace Crameri with Smith. Looked well off the pace(which is understandable) and would benefit from a few magoo games.

Happy Days
27-03-2017, 10:19 AM
In: Adams

Really feel for Dale; pig of a thing to get injured right at the end like that, and he looked in the best physical shape of his career.

Calls to drop anyone else are a little premature with no VFL form to back it up. I could live with Jong for Smith or Dunkley, but don't think it's begging to be done.

Anyone else not super enamoured with Trav?

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 10:22 AM
In: Adams

Really feel for Dale; pig of a thing to get injured right at the end like that, and he looked in the best physical shape of his career.

Calls to drop anyone else are a little premature with no VFL form to back it up. I could live with Jong for Smith or Dunkley, but don't think it's begging to be done.

Anyone else not super enamoured with Trav?

I wouldn't include a tall for Morris as he hasn't been playing tall for some time and going by your logic there is no way Adams has any preseason form to back up his selection. I think we'll see Easton move into the Morris role and Cordy will play 2IC to Roberts. I'd just bring in Campbell for Morris.

Happy to wait and see with Trav we'll know more in 4-6.

Happy Days
27-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't include a tall for Morris as he hasn't been playing tall for some time and going by your logic there is no way Adams has any preseason form to back up his selection. I think we'll see Easton move into the Morris role and Cordy will play 2IC to Roberts. I'd just bring in Campbell for Morris.

Happy to wait and see with Trav we'll know more in 4-6.

I don't really consider Adams to be a traditional key position tall, his best football is more as an Easton-lite intercept player. Obviously someone has to come in and he's the best option.

Who would you have come in?

Ozza
27-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Think we missed Clay Smith's tenacity.
Jong can be easily replaced by having Bontempelli go into the middle (barely played inside midfield at all Friday night). Jongy just doesn't get enough footy. Yeah he had 14 tackles, but I think a lot of that was due to being second to the ball.

Out: Jong, Morris
In: C.Smith, Adams.

I'd like to bring in Campbell, but don't think having Boyd and Cloke primarily forward is good for us.
Cloke was good on Friday night - but I'm not convinced that the team is better with the current forward set up.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't really consider Adams to be a traditional key position tall, his best football is more as an Easton-lite intercept player. Obviously someone has to come in and he's the best option.

Who would you have come in?

I'm not sure I keep changing my mind. Agree re. Adams but I think if he comes in Cordy has to go and I'm not sure I'm up for that. I'd move Cordy back and just bring in Campbell for Morris as I don't think Boyd is ready for a solo primary ruck role.

Adams may very well come in though.

comrade
27-03-2017, 11:23 AM
We need more assistance inside, so I'd bring Dunkley in. He can also go forward & provide nuisance value.

Not sure what to do with the ruck scenario but I hate the idea of Boyd, Campbell & Cloke all in the same team. Going ultra tall just doesn't work anymore unless the players are super mobile.

Hurry up & get buff, Timmy English!

Sedat
27-03-2017, 11:47 AM
We need more assistance inside, so I'd bring Dunkley in. He can also go forward & provide nuisance value.

Not sure what to do with the ruck scenario but I hate the idea of Boyd, Campbell & Cloke all in the same team. Going ultra tall just doesn't work anymore unless the players are super mobile.

Watching the Freo game last night and seeing Sandilands dominate around the ground but Griffin spudding it up has me agreeing with you. The extra mid will be more valuable against Sydney's elite mids than the extra ruckman.

kruder
27-03-2017, 11:58 AM
It was a combination of Hamling (mainly) and Morris on Franklin. I don't think Cordy has the running capacity to go with Franklin and neither does Roberts. That probably leaves Wood as the match-up.

Crameri replaces Dickson and Cloke replaces Boyd (assuming he rucks) so I'm not sure we are better up forward than last year just yet.

Ball movement is the key, it was 2015 like on Friday night so I think we are already ahead. Cant wait to see Dickson forward this year will be dangerous along side Cloke and Boyd for sure.

kruder
27-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Cloke is very mobile leads up at the footy and runs all day, Boyd is now mobile and will play forward/ruck and Campbell your traditional ruckman. Um how is this set up too tall?

Mofra
27-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Um how is this set up too tall?
I agree - "too tall" is an excuse from old-days football where players pretty much stayed in one position or the game.

The question is how much defensive pressure as a unit our forwards will put on the opposition when the ball is in transition.
Cloke and Boyd are ok but questionable at times, Crameri decent for his size, and Stringer put in quite a few excellent chases in round 1.

Greystache
27-03-2017, 12:58 PM
In- Adams, Campbell

Out- Morris (inj), Daniel

Need Adams for defensive flexibility, although I've serious reservations about his recent form. Boyd plays his best footy in a mix of ruck and forward, he was largely ineffective as a full time ruckman, and Campbell can play a mix of ruck and forward too. Cloke to play higher up the ground as he did Firday night.

Daniel was terrible Friday and his last 3 games at AFL level have been a mix of average to poor. His disposal under real pressure is a concern.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2017, 01:02 PM
In- Adams, Campbell

Need Adams for defensive flexibility, although I've serious reservations about his recent form. Boyd plays his best footy in a mix of ruck and forward, he was largely ineffective as a full time ruckman, and Campbell can play a mix of ruck and forward too. Cloke to play higher up the ground as he did Firday night.

Daniel was terrible Friday and his last 3 games at AFL level have been a mix of average to poor. His disposal under real pressure is a concern.

Agree 100% on defence structure and also Campbell for Daniel, although we seem in the minority. If we are right, there's an apparent outbreak of nudity in Footscray late this week.

bornadog
27-03-2017, 01:26 PM
I don't think Adams is AFL level.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2017, 01:32 PM
I don't think Adams is AFL level.

Adams current form is shite, I'll pay that. Losing a gun like Morris for a while I guess highlights why the club chased hard and virtually landed Hurley. I think a decent KPD something to target later this year. But with Collins injured and the new kids say too raw, we go in smaller than we did in the GF or we take in Adams and back him in.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Playing Cordy back we go in no smaller. Roberts and Cordy / Hamling. Reid may play forward so there is a case for Adams, although if Campbell comes in Reid may be required back on the resting ruck as Grundy / Laidler will be too small.

Who does Adams play on up forward?

bulldogtragic
27-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Playing Cordy back we go in no smaller. Roberts and Cordy / Hamling. Reid may play forward so there is a case for Adams, although if Campbell comes in Reid may be required back on the resting ruck as Grundy / Laidler will be too small.

Who does Adams play on up forward?

We played in the GF: Roberts, Wood, Hamling, Morris.

So we are down Hamling & Morris. Cordy covers one of them. By my count, we are down one tall defender from the set up that won the GF. So taking names out of it, we stick with that winning set up, or we change the set up. My inclination is to stick with what works.

bornadog
27-03-2017, 01:51 PM

So we are down Hamling & Morris. Cordy covers one of them. By my count, we are down one tall defender from the set up that won the GF. So taking names out of it, we stick with that winning set up, or we change the set up. My inclination is to stick with what works.

No point bringing in a tall for the sake of it, if they can't play football. I would prefer Collins over Adams.

chef
27-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Adams was very good last season.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 01:56 PM

But it's surely player dependent rather than a one size fits all. Adams is not Morris and Morris didn't / doesn't play tall anyway. Morris played on Papley in stages and Fasolo in the second half on Saturday. Roberts / Roberts, Cordy / Hamling, Wood / Morris just feels better to me. I'm more comfortable with someone stepping up for Wood than I am with Adams coming in for Morris.

Adams in his current form is a complete liability. He's panicky enough as it is. He needs time to get some touch in the VFL.

soupman
27-03-2017, 02:01 PM
I would prefer Collins over Adams.

Not sure about that.

Adams, as woeful as his pre-season form was (and based on that I too have serious reservations about picking him), did play at a very high standard for the majority of his games last season, somehow never really getting punished for the huge weaknesses in his game. None the less he demonstrated he is clearly capable at the level.

Collins for mine has yet to show anything AFL standard at a decent level of footy. His sole AFL game he looked slow and immobile and stuffed up a couple of kicks, and his VFL form has been underwhelming. He is still young and will develop, but I cannot see how anyone would pick him ahead of a fit Adams atm even with Adams pre-season form.

bornadog
27-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Not sure about that.

Adams, as woeful as his pre-season form was (and based on that I too have serious reservations about picking him), did play at a very high standard for the majority of his games last season, somehow never really getting punished for the huge weaknesses in his game. None the less he demonstrated he is clearly capable at the level.

Collins for mine has yet to show anything AFL standard at a decent level of footy. His sole AFL game he looked slow and immobile and stuffed up a couple of kicks, and his VFL form has been underwhelming. He is still young and will develop, but I cannot see how anyone would pick him ahead of a fit Adams atm even with Adams pre-season form.

I wouldn't bring in Collins either - at 19 years old still raw. I was just remarking I prefer him over Adams.

I would like to see Campbell in for Morris. We have enough players in the backline to cover the back half.

Roberts, Wood, MBoyd, Suckling, Biggs, Murphy, JJ and Cordy for starters.

westbulldog
27-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Adams was like a rabbit in the headlights in the JLT. He would have to have improved dramatically since then to warrant selection.
I would retain Daniel without hesitation.

Mantis
27-03-2017, 02:30 PM
We have enough players in the backline to cover the back half.

Roberts, Wood, MBoyd, Suckling, Biggs, Murphy, JJ and Cordy for starters.

We have enough players who can play in defence, but do we have the right mix?

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 02:35 PM
In- Adams, Campbell

JLT games? he's got enough credits in the bank to have an average preseason and a slow round 1 start. Revisit last year's Elimination Final, Second Semi Final and Prelim if you have any doubts. Actually his 3rd last game in anger was the EF and he was excellent.

Adams was like a rabbit in the headlights in the JLT. He would have to have improved dramatically since then to warrant selection.
I would retain Daniel without hesitation.

Calls for Daniel to be dropped are real head scratches.

Sedat
27-03-2017, 02:39 PM
In- Adams, Campbell

Reckon if we go in one mid short against the Swans we'll get punished by their mids. Not too many teams in the comp where I'd go two lumbering rucks plus Cloke and definitely not against this week's opponent.

merantau
27-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Morris' injury is a real blow magnified by Hamling's move west. I don't think any team has a single individual who can blanket Franklin so we shouldn't fret too much about that. The key is pressuring the ball carrier so they can't give him silver service and trying to get him playing up the ground as far away from the goals as possible. I'm confident we have the personel to beat them again. Looking forward to it.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Morris' injury is a real blow magnified by Hamling's move west. I don't think any team has a single individual who can blanket Franklin so we shouldn't fret too much about that. The key is pressuring the ball carrier so they can't give him silver service and trying to get him playing up the ground as far away from the goals as possible. I'm confident we have the personel to beat them again. Looking forward to it.

I doubt Grundy will be clunking them in the back half like he did in the Granny with Cloke to mind and that is Cloke's real value.

Axe Man
27-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Dane Rampe tripped over this morning and broke his arm, no word as to whether Jordan De Goeys dog was responsible!

He was good in the grand final and evens up the loss of Morris a bit. Although they have a decent replacement in Aliir Aliir ready to go.

always right
27-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Rampe did an excellent job on Stringer in the GF. Big challenge for the Swans to find a matchup for him. He was pretty good against the Pies and hopefully returns to his best this Friday.

Ozza
27-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Rampe is one of the best defenders in the competition - which evens us up for the Morris loss.

bornadog
27-03-2017, 04:18 PM
We have enough players who can play in defence, but do we have the right mix?

You are probably right we don't have the ideal mix, but not much we can do about it until Cordy grows up abit ie puts on some weight and strength and adds experience to his 12 games.

aker39
27-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Rampe is one of the best defenders in the competition - which evens us up for the Morris loss.

Rampe was All Australian defender in 2016

Greystache
27-03-2017, 05:01 PM
JLT games? he's got enough credits in the bank to have an average preseason and a slow round 1 start. Revisit last year's Elimination Final, Second Semi Final and Prelim if you have any doubts. Actually his 3rd last game in anger was the EF and he was excellent.

Calls for Daniel to be dropped are real head scratches.

No, I'm talking about his last 3 AFL game- being the Prelim, GF, and round 1. He went at 50% in the prelim final and was caught out by the extra pressure a number of times, one or two good moments didn't make up for that. He struggled badly in the GF, then again in round 1. I don't put too much stock into the JLT but he wasn't good then either and that was enough of a form line for Smith and Dunkley to be left out.

Cyberdoggie
27-03-2017, 06:14 PM
No, I'm talking about his last 3 AFL game- being the Prelim, GF, and round 1. He went at 50% in the prelim final and was caught out by the extra pressure a number of times, one or two good moments didn't make up for that. He struggled badly in the GF, then again in round 1. I don't put too much stock into the JLT but he wasn't good then either and that was enough of a form line for Smith and Dunkley to be left out.

Was pretty good in the elimination final, hasn't he also had a shoulder reconstruction or operation over the pre-season?

LostDoggy
27-03-2017, 06:36 PM
We lose a warrior in Morris so lets bring the next best/fittest in as we did last year. For me that is Dunks or Smith.

I would not drop Caleb Daniel.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Fair enough. 24 touches, three i50s and a goal was his Prelim game. Top 6 in AFL fantasy and Supercoach and scored 7/10 for his match by media pundits. Better than Libbba, Biggs, same as McLean and others. Quiet last week and in the Granny but I expect him to bounce back.

Throughandthrough
27-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Someone just told me the last time we won 6 in a row was 1985

Rocco Jones
27-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Ins and outs from the Grand Final

In- Cloke, Suckling, Crameri, Adams. Murphy
Out- Hamling, Morris, Dickson, Roughy, Clay

- Cloke replaces Zaine up forward and Zaine replaces Hamling/Morris down back. Cloke also takes 2nd ruck duties which covers a bit for Roughy
- Crameri replaces Dickson. Crameri can play a bit taller, which goes someway in covering for Tom Boyd playing in the ruck (as does Cloke being more of a power forward than Zaine)

We lose out a bit on the ruck but I don't think at this stage it is worth playing Campbell, Tom Boyd and Cloke. Campbell really needs to be cherry ripe with one of Boyd or Cloke firing. Too big a risk carrying them vs such a gun mid.

Suckling and Murphy = 2 'defenders' for Morris, so we have more 'defenders' however we are still short one who can take on the tall Swans forwards (Reid > Xavier). Biggs could make way but i think he is kind of symbolic of the way we go about it in Bevo's eyes. Anyway, we saw JJ rotate between HB/HF as well as Bob at times. Adams needs to come in for me. Clay misses from GF day with his HF/runner spot take by the added HB/HF rotations.

It kinda balances out. So to make it less clear as mud, from last week
In- Adams, Dunkley,
Out- Morris, Jong

GVGjr
27-03-2017, 10:31 PM
I've been waiting for Rocco's selections.

The only thing I would add is that Tom Boyd had just one kick and one mark as our prime ruckman against the Pies and I wonder if we can win a game against the Swans if these numbers don't improve substantially?

LostDoggy
27-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Out-Moz
In-Dunkley

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 11:33 PM

The only thing I would add is that Tom Boyd had just one kick and one mark as our prime ruckman against the Pies and I wonder if we can win a game against the Swans if these numbers don't improve substantially?

The only way they'll improve imo is when he's playing second ruck. It's too big an ask. He couldnt jump after half time on Saturday night.

MrMahatma
27-03-2017, 11:43 PM
On the couch they said Adams was almost BOG at Footscray and will definitely play on the weekend.

kruder
28-03-2017, 01:53 AM
On the couch they said Adams was almost BOG at Footscray and will definitely play on the weekend.

Bevo dosent bring in a player for the sake of it thats for sure. Sounds like both Campbell and Adams played well good news indeed.

Thought Mclean was average on Friday night he might be the unlucky one.

Rocco Jones
28-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Our ruck situation / 3rd ruck rule isn't ideal however Naismith isn't top line like Grundy. I feel like Campbell really needs to be fit and firing to get a game. Would love a mobile guy who could compete in ruck, lucky we drafted one.

I forgot about McLean. Think I'd rather play Clay. So...

In- Adams, Clay, Dunks
Out- Morris, McLean, Jong

I think Adams is a must and the other two lineball. Can see Bevo sticking with one or both of them to instil confidence which is another factor in such a close calll.

Bulldog4life
28-03-2017, 09:21 AM
I can see one change only. Adams for Morris. Bevo is a pretty loyal guy and I think he will give those that didn't play so well another chance in this game.

always right
28-03-2017, 10:41 AM
I just don't see Bevo making multiple changes after one round. So many posters saying we aren't at our peak due to our delayed start, yet many of those posters are calling for blokes to be omitted.

DragzLS1
28-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Adams for Morris only I think.
Jong laid 14 tackles and thats exactly the kind of stat you want against a Sydney, especially when you got Libba in there doing exactly the same thing. Clay would be first in line if McLean was dropped and I don't think we will go another Tall so Boyd will do the bulk of the Ruck Work and Cloke will give him a chop out. Etihad is our home, its not very wide, fast deck giving us a more direct play to goal, just the way we like it :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Campbell was the logical number 1 ruckman to replace Roughead but a tardy preseason means he is not yet ready. Hard to see us continuing with the Boyd/Cloke ruck combination long term.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Campbell was the logical number 1 ruckman to replace Roughead but a tardy preseason means he is not yet ready. Hard to see us continuing with the Boyd/Cloke ruck combination long term.

For Campbell to provide us with value he must be able to take the vast majority of ruck duties, he is a liability otherwise as unlike Roughy, he doesn't have the ability to take contested marks roaming around the ground. For this to happen, he needs his fitness base to be at it's maximum. Once the MC think it is, I would play him. Any doubts, he cannot play.

hujsh
30-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Campbell and Adams in
Morris and McLean (omitted) out

Surprising that McLean was dropped with more on here pushing Jong or Daniel. Don't recall anyone calling for McLean to go.

Hotdog60
30-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Western Bulldogs
B Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Jason Johannisen
HB Easton Wood, Marcus Adams, Robert Murphy
C Lachie Hunter, Luke Dahlhaus, Matthew Boyd
HF Jack Macrae, Tom Boyd, Jake Stringer
F Stewart Crameri, Travis Cloke, Liam Picken
Fol Tom Campbell, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
I/C Matthew Suckling, Shane Biggs, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong
Emg Clay Smith, Toby McLean, Josh Dunkley

In Marcus Adams, Tom Campbell
Out Dale Morris*!(Leg), Toby McLean*!(Omitted)
Milestones: Tom Liberatore *!- Playing 100th game

Sydney Swans
B Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Zak Jones
HB Jeremy Laidler, Harrison Marsh, Callum Mills
C Kieren Jack, Josh P. Kennedy, Jake Lloyd
HF Harry Cunningham, Kurt Tippett, George Hewett
F Sam Reid, Lance Franklin, Jordan Foote
Fol Sam Naismith, Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery
I/C Oliver Florent, Robbie Fox, Nic Newman, Will Hayward
Emg Aliir Aliir, Callum Sinclair, Dean Towers

In
Robbie Fox, Nic Newman, Will Hayward
Out
Daniel Robinson*!(Collarbone), Dane Rampe*!(Arm), Dean Towers*!(Omitted)
New
Robbie Fox, Nic Newman, Will Hayward
Milestones: Sam Reid *!- Playing 100th game, Oliver Florent *!- Played 1st game

GVGjr
30-03-2017, 07:32 PM
In Campbell and Adams
Out Morris (inj) and McLean (Omitted)

Given the ins I would have looked to have dropped a tall forward like Crameri and a mid sized defender (Maybe Biggs) and looked to have included Dunkley and Smith

Mantis
30-03-2017, 07:41 PM
^^

Dunkley is taller than Crameri.

Don't mind the changes, will be interesting to see how we go with a line-up that is probably the tallest selected in Bevo's tenure... The balance isn't quite right in my mind... so we wait and see.

GVGjr
30-03-2017, 07:42 PM
^^

I'd prefer Dunkley with his midfield ability.

Rocco Jones
30-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Swans debuting three players.

GVGjr
30-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Swans debuting three players.

I think they had two last week as well in Foote and Florent

Dry Rot
30-03-2017, 07:49 PM
How many teams have 3 premiership players as emergencies?

Mantis
30-03-2017, 07:52 PM
The core of Sydney's team remains, but the depth just isn't there with 4-6 players missing... Surprised Allir doesn't come in.

If we get an even performance ( as per GF) we win.

merantau
30-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Looks like a very strong team and the Swans are missing a few good players from their GF line up. We are in the box seat to win this. Go out and get the job done boys. Go Dogs!

Remi Moses
30-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Bit top heavy for me , but in bevo we trust

bulldogtragic
30-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I've been fantasising all pre-season of FF Tom Boyd, CHF Trav Cloke, Crammers & Stringer doing their thing and rotating seriously talented players through the forwardline in Bonts, Picken, Daniel, Dahl, Bob, JJ, Hunter etc.

Now to see if the fantasy lives up the hype in mind.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Three 190cm+ club leading goal kickers in all our forwardline tomorrow night in Stringer (WB), Crameri (Ess) & Cloke (Coll), and a 200cm+ bloke arguably best on ground in the Premiership.

Not many teams could boast that.

always right
30-03-2017, 09:38 PM
I've been fantasising all pre-season of FF Tom Boyd, CHF Trav Cloke, Crammers & Stringer doing their thing and rotating seriously talented players through the forwardline in Bonts, Picken, Daniel, Dahl, Bob, JJ, Hunter etc.

I'm with you. I've been really keen to see if we could make this forward structure work. Stringer should be licking his lips.

Eastdog
30-03-2017, 10:37 PM
I'd prefer Dunkley with his midfield ability.

Dunks was very good in the Grand Final.

Eastdog
30-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Despite Dale being out I believe our defence will be fine. Huge opportunity for Adams and I'm hoping he can capture that early season 2016 form build more on that.

Will Campbell play most of the time in the ruck tomorrow night? We need to be better in this area. Roughy will be back very soon.

Mofra
30-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Will Campbell play most of the time in the ruck tomorrow night? We need to be better in this area. Roughy will be back very soon.
I don't see how he can after missing a fair chunk of the pre-season and having only one game leading into tomorrow night.
I'd think a 50/50 split with Boyd, resting forward. Cloke to play up the ground and stay the hell out of the ruck.

Eastdog
30-03-2017, 11:01 PM
I don't see how he can after missing a fair chunk of the pre-season and having only one game leading into tomorrow night.
I'd think a 50/50 split with Boyd, resting forward. Cloke to play up the ground and stay the hell out of the ruck.

Yeah that sounds wise Mofra.

jeemak
30-03-2017, 11:20 PM
The Swans trained at MHS in South Yarra late today. I think at the last minute they asked to use the ground as their plane was delayed, that meant they needed to loosen up and missed being able to do so at another venue previously organised.

I had a boxing session at a gym my mate runs there, they were only doing loosening up and goal kicking when I was there, Alir was there.

Big shout out to Stewart Dew, I had to go and couldn't stay for long, but did ask on my way out as I was walking past him and the other assistant coaches as they were manning behind the goals whether they had any spare Sherrins, as it's a long season and ammo clubs can struggle to keep a good feed of balls flowing through. It seemed a fair thing given they took up a chunk of the ground unplanned. He said he might have a few, and true to his word he left the lads with three, which I thought was a nice touch.

bornadog
30-03-2017, 11:30 PM

He has had a couple of games at least including the VFL.

GVGjr
31-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Bit top heavy for me , but in bevo we trust

I think so to but we have added two of the better performed players from the VFL. Last week I thought we were a but light on for midfield rotations so dropping McLean for Campbell doesn't help that either although McLean wasn't impressive last week.

We have a lot of mid sized defenders in Wood, Murphy, Biggs, Suckling and maybe even Matthew Boyd so I think there might be a need to push a couple of them in midfield roles from time to time.

If we can contain Franklin we will go a long way towards a good win against a quality side.

1eyedog
31-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Hey that's my fantasy!

Mantis
31-03-2017, 10:31 AM
We have a lot of mid sized defenders in Wood, Murphy, Biggs, Suckling and maybe even Matthew Boyd so I think there might be a need to push a couple of them in midfield roles from time to time.

Could include JJ in that list.. Was interetsing to watch how these guys were used last week, especially pushing JJ, Murf & Boyd onto a wing & HF.. Boyd didn't look all that comfortable in these roles so it will be interesting to see how our line-up looks moving forward.

GVGjr
31-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Could include JJ in that list.. Was interetsing to watch how these guys were used last week, especially pushing JJ, Murf & Boyd onto a wing & HF.. Boyd didn't look all that comfortable in these roles so it will be interesting to see how our line-up looks moving forward.

I think M.Boyd's days in the midfield are probably beyond him now. Murphy could easily spend a lot of time up forward for us tonight.

1eyedog
31-03-2017, 11:12 AM
^^

Don't mind the changes, will be interesting to see how we go with a line-up that is probably the tallest selected in Bevo's tenure... The balance isn't quite right in my mind... so we wait and see.

Josh has grown a bit!

Mantis
31-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Josh has grown a bit!

Had a look and they are both listed at 190cm.

bornadog
31-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Aliir Aliir may be a late change in - to combat our height :eek:

bulldogtragic
31-03-2017, 10:20 PM

Yep, movement for sure.