PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4 2017 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 4, 2017 match against North Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Massive game for us on Good Friday.

Let us know what changes you would make and why.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Quite a few put their hand up to be dropped

bulldogtragic
08-04-2017, 11:14 PM
At the risk of being lined up, Caleb Daniel just isn't doing enough and his up and under kicking was dangerous tonight to team mates. Picken may not get up with a 6 day break. Cordy was a non factor. We seem a HBF heavy. Campbell was very poor around the ground, no real difference than Minson.

Will Crameri get up? Dunkley & Smith must be itching for an opportunity. Has Webb done enough in the pre-season?

Need to make a few changes. That was a bad loss, leading at 3/4 time and not giving a yelp in the last quarter.

G-Mo77
08-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I don't think we'll go overboard but yeah a nice wake up to a few wouldn't hurt.

Just can't warm to Suckling, real liability defensively, afraid of contact and looks lazy at times.

LostDoggy
08-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Daniel out for Clay.

1eyedog
08-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Adams, Biggs, Daniel, both Boyds and Zaine need to be looked at.

jeemak
08-04-2017, 11:31 PM
I thought Toyd was OK in fits and spurts.

Eager to see Daniel play twos and get some confidence back in his ball use. His dinky kicking has been disappointing in recent times.

Adams needs to play next week, but must be counselled on his limitations and how not to expose them.

Biggs upset me at times tonight too, as did Cordy.

The Underdog
08-04-2017, 11:32 PM
We need to talk about Tom (Boyd)...
Form in the first 3 rounds has been pretty poor. Probably lucky that we have bugger all tall options

GVGjr
08-04-2017, 11:49 PM
It often takes a loss before our faithful look hard enough at team selections. It's good that it's been a while since that happened :)
Cordy and Daniel should have been mentioned more last week but I'll give it a bit more thought.

westbulldog
08-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Out
Biggs, Cordy, Daniel and hopefully not Picken

In
Smith, Dunkley, Crameri, Webb/Williams/Dale

josie
09-04-2017, 12:30 AM
English or Crameri for Campbell (concede ruck hit outs - use Boyd with Cloke as pinch hit, however improve mobility around ground)

Smith (if Picken does not recover)

Dunkley for Daniel

Williams for Biggs

MrMahatma
09-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Cordy moves like a 1980s robot. I'd definitely consider him for dropping.

1eyedog
09-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Outs: Daniel, Cordy
Ins: Smith, Crameri

SlimPickens
09-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Out: Cordy- if he isn't playing in defence he doesn't play for mine
Daniel- needs to get some confidence

In: Smith- need some aggression in the forward line
Crameri- better forward than Zaine

Go_Dogs
09-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Out:-
Daniel, Cordy, M Boyd

In:-
Dunkley, Smith, Williams

Daniel has been off, Cordy perhaps surplus to requirements and Boyd to have a rest.

We miss Dunkley and Smith who were consistent players during September and can play a few roles. Williams appears the next cab off the rank and hopefully his ball use adds to our mix, along with his ability in the air.

Webb would be the other player I'd like to look at for an extended run.

Ozza
09-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm not ready to comment on ins and outs yet (still too sh1tty!). But I doubt that Picken could/should play 6 days out from being knocked out like that.

Rocket Science
09-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Outs: Campbell, Cordy, McLean
Ins: Minson, Giansiracusa, Templeton

More sincerely, I wonder if Cloke's considered for a spell in the twos.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm not ready to comment on ins and outs yet (still too sh1tty!). But I doubt that Picken could/should play 6 days out from being knocked out like that.

If that's the case, I'd add Webb in to my selections above.

Daniel, Cordy, M Boyd, Picken

Dunkley, Smith, Williams, Webb

DOG GOD
09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
If that's the case, I'd add Webb in to my selections above.

Daniel, Cordy, M Boyd, Picken

Dunkley, Smith, Williams, Webb

I like those ins and outs Go dogs

KT31
09-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Daniel, Cordy, M Boyd

Dunkley, Smith, Williams

Daniel has been off, Cordy perhaps surplus to requirements and Boyd to have a rest.

We miss Dunkley and Smith who were consistent players during September and can play a few roles. Williams appears the next cab off the rank and hopefully his ball use adds to our mix, along with his ability in the air.

Webb would be the other player I'd like to look at for an extended run.

Agree with most but with the exception of sending Cordy back to the backline and dropping Biggs.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Anyone who pays any attention to my posts knows my views on ruckmen. If they aren't good, I don't believe you should bother. Campbell is ok in ruck duels but loses to quality even in his strength. Everything else is not up to scratch at the moment.

In- Clay, Dunkley, Williams, Crameri
Out- Campbell, McLean, Cordy, Picken

Webb in if Crameri and Picken both aren't right.
Williams misses if both are okay to play.

angelopetraglia
09-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Definitely need Clay Smith back. We need his hardness at the ball, his aggression at the man and the pressure he applies in our forward line. He makes everyone around him walk taller.

1eyedog
09-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Anyone who pays any attention to my posts knows my views on ruckmen. If they aren't good, I don't believe you should bother. Campbell is ok in ruck duels but loses to quality even in his strength. Everything else is not up to scratch at the moment.

In- Clay, Dunkley, Williams, Crameri
Out- Campbell, McLean, Cordy, Picken

Webb in if Crameri and Picken both aren't right.
Williams misses if both are okay to play.

I like the idea of playing Williams, especially with the JJ plans up in the air.

always right
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I like the idea of playing Williams, especially with the JJ plans up in the air.

What are the JJ plans?

aker39
10-04-2017, 02:14 PM
To those tipping Crameri as an in, I don't think he'll be playing for a few weeks.

His hip may be worse than 1st thought.

Topdog
10-04-2017, 02:41 PM
We need to talk about Tom (Boyd)...
Form in the first 3 rounds has been pretty poor. Probably lucky that we have bugger all tall options

I thought he was average in the first 2 matches but was great on Saturday. Probably needed a goal but overall was very good. Teammates ignored him at times when he was in perfect position.

Daniel kind of got into it in the last quarter but has been very poor this season.

Eastdog
10-04-2017, 04:13 PM
I thought he was average in the first 2 matches but was great on Saturday. Probably needed a goal but overall was very good. Teammates ignored him at times when he was in perfect position.

Daniel kind of got into it in the last quarter but has been very poor this season.

Could Caleb be dropped this week or will Bevo persist with him? Some posters are suggesting he recaptures some form in the VFL.

How about someone like Honeychurch coming into the side. Could he have an impact. He is quite good at VFL level but could he step it up at AFL level?

Smads57
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Listening to Bevo's presser and the likelihood of Picken being out (and Crameri for an extended period per post from aker39 above), I would bring in:

Clay for Picko - hardness around ball, can kick goals and attack on the footy (like for like)
Webb for Biggs - bring in another mid/fwd who is also an in and under player but also has very good disposal on the outside like Libba. I agree with an earlier post that we have one to many half backs currently in the team, therefore this change would bring better team balance.

I'm not sure about Caleb Daniel being dropped due to form - I am wondering if he is being 'squeezed out' of his 2016 role as a small fwd by having Murph and JJ play forward this year. Dropping Biggs would mean one less half back getting in Caleb's space up forward.

I wouldn't drop Cordy altho he does seem to run around aimlessly at times. With Morris out and with Adams still finding his feet at the moment, we can't afford not to have Cordy's height in defence as there are no options in the twos at present.

My only other question mark is on Toby McLean - seemed to get cleaned up in last qtr against Freo, so might be one of the sore bodies that Bevo alluded to in his presser and might be better off after a 6 day break to run around in the twos. If that's the case, then I would bring in Dunkley to replace him.

1eyedog
10-04-2017, 06:42 PM
What are the JJ plans?

I'm not sure but neither is Bevo and that's kinda the point

chef
10-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Stevo saying Picken should play.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Stevo saying Picken should play.

Interesting.

I still think he doesn't play.

bornadog
10-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Interesting.

I still think he doesn't play.

up to the medicos I would say.

bornadog
11-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Bevo flags changes (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-04-10/bevo-flags-changes)

Luke Beveridge has flagged some possible changes to his side ahead of this week’s historic Good Friday clash with North Melbourne.

The Bulldogs fell to the Dockers in Perth on Saturday night by 16 points in a game plagued by missed chances in front of goal.
Beveridge's men managed just 5.6 from 16 inside 50 entries in the third term, and the 14-point lead they took into the final break was not enough to hold off the rampaging Dockers.

Speaking to reporters post-match, Beveridge kept the door ajar for missing forwards Stewart Crameri, Clay Smith and Josh Dunkley.

“[Crameri] may be available. There's been a couple of boys who've been knocking on the door in recent times in Josh Dunkley and Clay Smith, and maybe one or two others," he said.

"You always look at that week to week."

Beveridge said the Dogs had been 'jumped' by the home side, the Dockers piling on four goals in nine minutes to open the match, before kicking the final five to hand the Dogs their first defeat of the season.

"I thought Fremantle's performance was quite outstanding," he said.
"They jumped us obviously, clear as day. We weren't prepared for that unfortunately and it felt like we were before the game.

"We expected a fight from them but it took us a lot of energy to claw our way back and I thought we had a very good third quarter and just didn't capitalise on all those entries.

"Then they came again and full credit to them, they played really, really well."

Twodogs
11-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Clay Smith and Josh Dunkley. There Bevo said it. Them.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Our strength the last two years was blokes knocking the door down for selection and then getting selected. And that surname or past reputation didn't mean you got games. We rewarded training and VFL form, and kept guys hungry. After an unnecessary loss, how's the time to tap into it again. Dunkley & Smith will be raring to go and prove their worth in keeping their spots. Guys who will get dropped will be raring to prove their ready for promotion ASAP, and kids will be trying to get into the team for the opportunity of staying there for the good times (see Dunkley, McLean & Cordy last year). Time to tap back into this winning formula.

LostDoggy
11-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Out-Daniel,Picken

In-Smith,Dunkley

Twodogs
11-04-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm hoping that Picken will be fit but then wavering between playing and not playing him. Six days is a quick turnaround from a knock like that.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Just my grab but I didn't think Picken's knock was a real knock out knock. Looked like he was still compos mentis and aware enough to know he had to look after his noggin so went off and stayed off.
I think the report was he had his marbles back soon after he came off. No need to risk if he is not OK of course.

soupman
12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
It's funny that just a few years ago Picken would have come back on and played out the game, now he is potentially missing another game. That's a good change btw.

Twodogs
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
I wonder if Keithy Boyd would have missed any footy if he'd taken the same knock with the helmet on.

bornadog
13-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Dogs duo racing the clock for Good Friday clash (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/dogs-duo-racing-the-clock-for-good-friday-clash)

KEY playmakers Liam Picken and Stewart Crameri will need to pass fitness tests to guarantee selection for the Western Bulldogs' Good Friday clash with North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Coach Luke Beveridge was confident Picken would overcome a concussion the midfielder received in the loss to Fremantle last week, but appeared less optimistic about Crameri's chances of returning from a hip complaint that forced the former Bomber to miss the trip to Perth.

"(Liam) seems to be fine, (but) we'll cognistat test him today, which is the test you do to make sure the player is ok to go and play and perform," Beveridge said on Thursday.

"Even when players have passed that test, there's no guarantee they'll be back to their best straight away, but as long as he gets clearance from our doctors, he'll definitely play.

"Whether or not (Crameri) gets the tick off by the medicos is going to be a late call."

Beveridge floated premiership midfielders Clay Smith and Josh Dunkley as possible replacements if Picken doesn't come up.

The premiership coach has thrown down the challenge to Tom Boyd, with the versatile big man unable to recapture his Grand Final form this season.

He and fellow ruckman Tom Campbell will be opposed to the Kangaroos' imposing duo of Todd Goldstein and Braydon Preuss – a battle that Beveridge believes will have a big bearing on the game.

"It's a challenge for our big fellas, the two Toms, and we'll be asking them to be at their absolute best," Beveridge said.
"That physical battle in there is really important, and we know (Goldstein and Preuss) have both been covering good ground.

(Tom's) been good, but he's been a bit like the team in that he's worked in fits and spurts, and that's been our lot so far (this season).

"We want a bit more control in games and Tom is looking for that as well."

Midfielder Mitch Wallis is set to resume in the VFL in the next week or two in his return from a broken leg, with Beveridge declaring the 24-year-old is looking "strong and fit."

But Jordan Roughead looks a while off from playing, with the ruckman barely breaking out of a jog at training as he continues his rehabilitation for a hamstring tendon injury.

Rocket Science
13-04-2017, 01:46 PM
That's brilliant news about Wallis.

Mantis
13-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Heard a rumour Lipinski was in the mix for selection, but not sure how reliable the source is.

Mofra
13-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Heard a rumour Lipinski was in the mix for selection, but not sure how reliable the source is.
That would be a fair jump for the kid if he's playing ahead of Smith, Dunkley, Dale, etc

comrade
13-04-2017, 04:13 PM
That would be a fair jump for the kid if he's playing ahead of Smith, Dunkley, Dale, etc

Bevo loves giving kids a taste.

comrade
13-04-2017, 07:30 PM
Dunks & Clay in.
Biggsy & Caleb out.

Good changes, makes us better balanced through the midfield.

Even better, Brad Scott has brought back Scott Thompson!

Hotdog60
13-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Western Bulldogs
B Marcus Adams, Fletcher Roberts, Jason Johannisen
HB Matthew Suckling, Easton Wood, Robert Murphy
C Lachie Hunter, Luke Dahlhaus, Matthew Boyd
HF Josh Dunkley, Travis Cloke, Jake Stringer
F Lin Jong, Tom Boyd, Liam Picken
Fol Tom Campbell, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
I/C Jack Macrae, Zaine Cordy, Clay Smith, Toby McLean
Emg Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel

In
Josh Dunkley, Clay Smith
Out
Shane Biggs*!(Omitted), Caleb Daniel*!(Omitted)
Milestones: Travis Cloke *!- Playing 250th game

GVGjr
13-04-2017, 07:48 PM
I think that gives us a better balance. The Ins were pretty straight forward and Biggs is the unlucky surplus mid defender.

bornadog
13-04-2017, 09:10 PM
I think that gives us a better balance. The Ins were pretty straight forward and Biggs is the unlucky surplus mid defender.
He hasn't had a good start to the season

Twodogs
13-04-2017, 09:21 PM
That's brilliant news about Wallis.

Hopefully. Hopefully they aren't rushing him back against advice because an injury like that just has so many things that can go wrong. And when a broken leg goes wrong it's a major problem.

I'm no expert on broken legs but I hope we are being as conservative as possible when it comes to managing Mitch's break because he still has a long career ahead of him. I'd hate to have him end up hobbling around like Nathan Brown was in the end because we wanted him/let him come back pain couple of months ahead of schedule. We do have a fairly good record rehabbing players from major injuries though.

kruder
13-04-2017, 09:40 PM
He hasn't had a good start to the season

He was very good against Sydney,solid against the pies but poor last week. He is unlucky for sure but I like bringing in two bulldogs fresh on a 6 day back up.

Twodogs
13-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Dunks & Clay in.
Biggsy & Caleb out.

Good changes, makes us better balanced through the midfield.

Even better, Brad Scott has brought back Scott Thompson!

They must have bought Thompson in so he can ask the Bont for his arse back. Bont must have forgotten to hand it to him after the game last year.

That's something you would leave down the back of the backyard underneath an old door or some plastic sheeting held down with a few bricks. Down the blind side of the shed.

always right
14-04-2017, 10:52 AM
With Biggs out, we hopefully end the experiment of playing Moyd forward. Really hope Caleb can find some form quickly. We need his ball use.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Happy with the changes - we had too many half backs and not enough midfield grunt.

Hoping we'll be much more competitive in keeping the ball in our forward half, too.

DOG GOD
14-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Never thought Biggs would be dropped...always thought he was a bevo love child, but good to see players being picked on merit, and in 2 of the 3 games Biggs has been shocking, especially in disposal.

Glad to see smith and Dunkley back in....definate best 22 for mine.

GVGjr
14-04-2017, 12:41 PM
We've added two players who like a contest which should help our midfield out a bit more. I hope we can get back that real competitive edge we are known for.