PDA

View Full Version : Our Current Status

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm not across all the different trophies we play other AFL teams for etc. - But I know these:

Current Premiers (Inc. 4 in a row over Sydney)
Current Bob Rose Cup Holders (Inc. 5 in a row over Collingwood)
Current EJ Whitten Cup Holders (over Essendon)
Current & Inaugural Good Friday winners

Are there any trophies, cups or status we don't currently hold? Or do we hold them?

chef
15-04-2017, 05:11 PM
VFL premiership.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 05:29 PM
VFL premiership.

Moreso thinking of the various AFL things in games we play for. My guess is this is the first time we've held everything we/we've played for as an AFL team.

ledge
15-04-2017, 05:32 PM
We don't have the wooden spoon trophy :-)

chef
15-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Do we still play for a cup with Geelong?

1eyedog
15-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Best jumper in the AFL
Most handsome man (Easton Wood; my wife thinks so anyway).

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Do we still play for a cup with Geelong?

Yep. I googled it and found a wiki page on all trophies. We have all but two:

If we beat Geelong in Round 9 (Western Victoria Cup) & St Kilda in Round 10 (Barker-Whitten Cup) then we'd hold everything for the first time (obviously with a flag last year and 1st Good Friday game - on a side note most have BOG medals, do why no Jesus Medal for Dahl yesterday?).

comrade
15-04-2017, 06:17 PM

If we beat Geelong in Round 9 (Western Victoria Cup) & St Kilda in Round 10 (Barker-Whitten Cup) then we'd hold everything for the first time (obviously with a flag last year and 1st Good Friday game).

I hate losing to both teams, so would be nice to salute.

bornadog
15-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Best jumper in the AFL
Most handsome man (Easton Wood; my wife thinks so anyway).

Ha ha so does my wife

chef
15-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Pickens my wifes fav.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 09:21 PM

If we beat Geelong in Round 9 (Western Victoria Cup) & St Kilda in Round 10 (Barker-Whitten Cup) then we'd hold everything for the first time (obviously with a flag last year and 1st Good Friday game).

Well the time is here. If we beat Geelong & St Kilda in the next two weeks, for the first time ever in our history we will hold every single trophy we play for!

Twodogs
15-05-2017, 01:03 AM
What about the McClennand Trophy? We don't hold that.

bornadog
15-05-2017, 10:15 AM
What about the McClennand Trophy? We don't hold that.

Is it still awarded?

bulldogtragic
15-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Is it still awarded?

Not according to the list of trophies/cups games for all clubs.

Twodogs
15-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Is it still awarded?

Not according to the list of trophies/cups games for all clubs.

I am absolutely certain that the Maclelland trophy (I might not be able to spell it but i am pretty sure it still exists) to the team that finishes on top of the AFL ladder at the end of the home and away season. We have never finished on top of the AFL/VFL after the H&A season.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I am absolutely certain that the Maclelland trophy (I might not be able to spell it but i am pretty sure it still exists) to the team that finishes on top of the AFL ladder at the end of the home and away season. We have never finished on top of the AFL/VFL after the H&A season.

Spelling changes it. That's a default trophy, not something generally contested for. Oppositions we contest awards for:

Current Premiers (Inc. 4 in a row over Sydney)
Current Bob Rose Cup Holders (Inc. 5 in a row over Collingwood)
Current EJ Whitten Cup Holders (over Essendon)
Current & Inaugural Good Friday winners (over North)

Non Current Holders - Western Victoria Cup (Geelong)
Non Current Holders - Barker-Whitten Cup (St Kilda)

Bulldog4life
15-05-2017, 11:52 AM

McClelland Trophy

The McClelland Trophy is an Australian rules football trophy, which has been awarded each year since 1991 by the Australian Football League (AFL) to the team finishing first on the ladder after the completion of the home-and-away season, before the finals are played. Between 1950 and 1990 it was awarded to the club that performed the best across the three levels of competition; seniors, reserves and under 19s.[1]

History[edit]
The award was instituted in 1951 and is named after William McClelland, who at that time was president of the Victorian Football League and was a Melbourne player in 1898-1904.
Prior to 1991, the trophy was presented to the team with the best overall home-and-away record across the three levels of VFL/AFL play: seniors, reserves and under 19s.[2] Seniors wins were worth ten points, reserves were worth four, and under 19s were worth two (with the values halved for drawn games).
In the 1950s, a trophy of the same name was also awarded to Peter Pianto for being the best Victorian player in an interstate match against South Australia.[3]
From 1991 the criteria for winning the McClelland Trophy was changed to its current status, being awarded to the team finishing on top of the AFL ladder at the end of the home-and-away season. At the end of 1991, the Under 19s level of the league was replaced with a separate junior competition now known as the TAC Cup, while the AFL Reserves competition was scrapped at the end of 1999 in favour of an alignment with the Victorian Football League and other state leagues.
The award is relatively low key, with no prize money: although finishing on top of the ladder ensures a slightly advantageous draw in the AFL Finals Series,[4] the main goal of all teams is to win the AFL Premiership, by winning the grand final.[5][6]
Unofficially and colloquially, winners of the McClelland trophy are also given the title "minor premiers".[7]

We have never won it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland_Trophy

Eastdog
15-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Would be great to finish top of the ladder in the home and away season. At the end of the day doesn't matter where you finish in the 8 as long as you are on top in the last day of September or first day of October is what matters. When we won in 1954 I believe we finished 3rd and caused an upset in the semi final to make the GF and then go on to win.