PDA

View Full Version : Hrovat Draft Compo Watch - Round by Round

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 10:57 AM
The key figure for what we net for Hrovat is swapping our 3rd rounder with North this year. (The fourth round swap goes to St Kilda so who cares).

Hrovat Compo:

As of round 4 - the live ladder is obtaining from North nominal pick 38 (to go with our 1st & 2nd round selections, and assuming later picks used on 2 rookie upgrades. Giving us three picks inside 38 to draft and/or trade, without anything else happening).

Remi Moses
15-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but how do we get 2 first rounders

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but how do we get 2 first rounders

Poor wording on my part. To go with our first picks, inside the first two rounds. Fixed.

Sedat
15-04-2017, 12:55 PM
This is like a mini-me version of what the Saints are doing with Hawthorn. Norf look destined to be a bottom 4 team now, as they will embrace the rebuild and the opportunity to get some top-end talent into their list now that they are 0-4 and all but out of calculations for this season. It could end up being a 12-14 spot upgrade for our 3rd and 4th rounders, which is a nice result for a player who would not have improved our team one iota this season and beyond.

Twodogs
15-04-2017, 02:15 PM
So. We got North's third and fourth round picks this year for Hrovat is that right? So if North finish 18th then our picks will the first selection of round three of the draft and the first selection of round four of the draft. Is that right?

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 02:17 PM
So. We got North's third and fourth round picks this year for Hrovat is that right? So if North finish 18th then our picks will the first selection of round three of the draft and the first selection of round four of the draft. Is that right?

We gave North's 4th rounder this year to St Kilda in the Stevens trade. So the only thing for us is looking at the third rounder.

comrade
15-04-2017, 02:19 PM
We gave North's 4th rounder this year to St Kilda in the Stevens trade. So the only thing for us is looking at the third rounder.

What did we get from the Saints again?

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 02:21 PM
What did we get from the Saints again?

An 11 pick upgrade last year. They'll probably get a 25 pick upgrade this year. So they're net ahead, plus Stevens.

MrMahatma
15-04-2017, 02:22 PM
This is like a mini-me version of what the Saints are doing with Hawthorn. Norf look destined to be a bottom 4 team now, as they will embrace the rebuild and the opportunity to get some top-end talent into their list now that they are 0-4 and all but out of calculations for this season. It could end up being a 12-14 spot upgrade for our 3rd and 4th rounders, which is a nice result for a player who would not have improved our team one iota this season and beyond.

Still not a great trade IMO, but hopefully we get lucky and can maximise the pic.

comrade
15-04-2017, 02:26 PM
An 11 pick upgrade last year. They'll probably get a 25 pick upgrade this year. So they're net ahead, plus Stevens.

Average trading, but sometimes you take a hit to help a player find a home and get longer term benefits (good relationships with other clubs, reputation as a good home for players).

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Average trading, but sometimes you take a hit to help a player find a home and get longer term benefits (good relationships with other clubs, reputation as a good home for players).

If the rough plan was use 3 picks in 2017 (18, 36 & 38), upgrade Lynch & Smith and grab a free agent then 6 changes means we wouldn't use North's 4th rounder in any event. Six changes is still a fair turnover (Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Honey and still two more).

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 04:14 AM
Will you tell Bob he's retiring or shall I do it?

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Will you tell Bob he's retiring or shall I do it?

I think he will do it off his own bat. I hope the boys do it with Bob before that occurs.

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 12:09 PM

So we gave them Stevens and our fourth rounder this year for an eleven pick upgrade in which round last year?

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 12:16 PM
So we gave them Stevens and our fourth rounder this year for an eleven pick upgrade in which round last year?

The full trade is:

Dogs: 11 pick upgrade 2016 (pick 61 into pick 50), Saints 5th rounder 2017 (which we won't probably use, circa pick 84)
Saints: Stevens, 2016 11 pick downgrade, Then on traded Norths 2017 good fourth rounder (circa 26 pick upgrade for Saints - pick 84 into 58)

So they basicly got Stevens for free and with a net gain in the draft order.

So Brian Lake = Hrovat & Stevens. Hrovat & Stevens = net gain of around 25 draft order spots, and net loss of around 25 draft orderspots... No net draft/player gain for trading Lake now.

1eyedog
17-04-2017, 12:30 PM
I think he will do it off his own bat. I hope the boys do it with Bob before that occurs.

When he said he'd decided to come back for 2017 he also said it would be his last year

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 12:32 PM
When he said he'd decided to come back for 2017 he also said it would be his last year

There you go then.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2017, 11:14 PM
North choke!!!!!! (After running the clock down and losing with 20 seconds left)

May the good compo come our way!!!!

Currently pick 39 on its way to us based on the live ladder for Round 5.

Ozza
22-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Hrovat was good tonight. Had 21 and what should have been the sealing goal. Poor Ol' Norf couldn't win a close game to save themselves.

comrade
23-04-2017, 12:00 AM
Hrovat was good tonight. Had 21 and what should have been the sealing goal. Poor Ol' Norf couldn't win a close game to save themselves.

Wasn't even going to play until Higgins was the late out.

Can't understand what North are trying to do at the moment. You have players that are absolutely cooked like Thompson and Swallow, with young ready made players wallowing in the VFL such as Durdin & Clarke.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 07:53 PM
With North choking & Hawthorn winning today:

The Watch: Round 5: Dogs Recieve Pick 38 (Giving Back Pick 50)

We've got to hope the good GCS turns up this week to face North.

macca
23-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Durdin and Clarke could they be worthy trade targets ?

bulldogtragic
29-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Round 6:

Exchange: 40 to Dogs, 48 to North

North happy with how it stands this round.

comrade
29-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Round 6:

Exchange: 41 to Dogs, 48 to North

North happy with how it stands this round.

That was the least intense game I've ever seen. The corridor was wide open, there was space everywhere on the flanks and so little pressure on the ball carrier.

Perfect conditions for Hrovat to excel.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2017, 11:14 PM
That was the least intense game I've ever seen. The corridor was wide open, there was space everywhere on the flanks and so little pressure on the ball carrier.

Perfect conditions for Hrovat to excel.

Moreso they'd be happy that there's a gap of only 7 picks on the rolling watch. He could be a complete dud in the end, but if they can keep the gap narrow by season's end it doesn't matter too much.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:37 PM
duplicate

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Round 7:

Dogs - Get Pick 41
North - Get Pick 50

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Round 8: Assuming North win:

Dogs - Get Pick 42
North - Get Pick 46 (& Hrovat)

4 pick upgrade in the third round.

hujsh
14-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Dogs - Get Pick 42

Looking unlikely

Twodogs
14-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Dogs - Get Pick 42

Hahaha. Suck shit North.

Remi Moses
14-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Norf

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Round 8: North lose.

Dogs - Get Pick 39
North - Get Pick 47 (& Hrovat)

8 pick upgrade in the third round.

Ok, updated.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-05-2017, 08:46 PM
I know we've been over this..but jeez we got a raw deal for Hrovat. Unless we win the minor premiership & North end up with the spoon I just struggle to see why we were so accommodating in this deal.

comrade
14-05-2017, 08:50 PM
I know we've been over this..but jeez we got a raw deal for Hrovat. Unless we win the minor premiership & North end up with the spoon I just struggle to see why we were so accommodating in this deal.

No one else wanted him and even if another club was interested, Hrovat nominated a destination, so what choice did we have? With fringe players, you are really confined by the system. We found a home for a non best-22 player and reinforced the message that we are a club that looks after its players, which will hopefully pay more longer term dividends than haggling over some extra spots in the draft (or forcing him into the pre-season draft).

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 09:05 PM

We got more, exchanging fourth rounders too, but we gave that away in the Stevens trade to get an 11 pick upgrade last year.

So right now the longer trade: Brian Lake for Hrovat & Stevens. Hrovat, Stevens & on trading North's 2017 fourth rounder to St Klda for two third round upgrades totalling 19 picks worth over two drafts. So about 10 picks average up the order in third rounds in the 2016 & 2017 drafts. Not great, but the arse end fell out of player values last year at the trade table. We just try to get the best offer on blokes he knew opportunities to play afl footy was else where.

But back to topic, with North dropping another we get a third pick under 40 (based on now). Hopefully the 'good' Melbourne turn up next week and give them a percentage hit so Collingwood can pull ahead of North. I don't like to focus solely on a team losing, but the more North lose the better pick we get, so T&T please root against them every week if possible.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 09:08 PM
No one else wanted him and even if another club was interested, Hrovat nominated a destination, so what choice did we have? With fringe players, you are really confined by the system. We found a home for a non best-22 player and reinforced the message that we are a club that looks after its players, which will hopefully pay more longer term dividends than haggling over some extra spots in the draft (or forcing him into the pre-season draft).

To be fair to Hrovat, his manager on trade radio said he'd go either North or Carlton with the dogs to find the best deal. Silvagni doesn't rate trading for non GWS players, so the interest was stronger by North and they did well. But you're right, with the value of these fringe types dropping last year, best to just do the deal build up relationships with other clubs and be seen to do the right thing by the player. As opposed to not trade and then beg Jason Tutt to stay, who then delisted himself to go to Carlton in the PSD...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-05-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm sure you're right..it just boggles my mind. That the best deal for a guy who was an early 2nd round pick , who was unlucky not to play more for us and who is a walk up start in North's side was a swap of picks.
I'm amazed other clubs didn't show some interest is all.

Bulldog4life
14-05-2017, 09:12 PM
We got more, exchanging fourth rounders too, but we gave that away in the Stevens trade to get an 11 pick upgrade last year.

So right now the longer trade: Brian Lake for Hrovat & Stevens. Hrovat, Stevens & on trading North's 2017 fourth rounder to St Klda for two third round upgrades totalling 19 picks worth over two drafts. So about 10 picks average up the order in third rounds in the 2016 & 2017 drafts. Not great, but the arse end fell out of player values last year at the trade table. We just try to get the best offer on blokes he knew opportunities to play afl footy was else where.

But back to topic, with North dropping another we get a third pick under 40 (based on now). Hopefully the 'good' Melbourne turn up next week and give them a percentage hit so Collingwood can pull ahead of North. I don't like to focus solely on a team losing, but the more North lose the better pick we get, so T&T please root against them every week if possible.

Funny I always do. Love to see Norf lose. Gotta another reason to now.

Doc26
14-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Feels like a raw deal given our investment of 4 years into him, his struggles with injury to break in, and giving up our pick 21 for him in 2012. At this juncture would appear North's gain for chips which is frustrating as they've also done well out of us with Higgins.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Feels like a raw deal given our investment of 4 years into him, his struggles with injury to break in, and giving up our pick 21 for him in 2012. At this juncture would appear North's gain for chips which is frustrating as they've also done well out of us with Higgins.

At least we got decent FA compo for Higgins. I'm not sure Higgins will be around by the time they next seriously compete though.

I think we might want to question 'best available' which Hrovat was, while the next best KPP was Tim O'Brien who the Hawks took anyway despite the trade.

Doc26
14-05-2017, 09:58 PM
At least we got decent FA compo for Higgins. I'm not sure Higgins will be around by the time they next seriously compete though.

I think we might want to question 'best available' which Hrovat was, while the next best KPP was Tim O'Brien who the Hawks took anyway despite the trade.

Hopefully Lukas Webb can prove to be adequate FA compo for losing Higgins who we decided not to match North's offer given his request to leave for North for a clean start as Hrovat did for a better opportunity.

I'm still a bit disappointed we didn't grab Ben Brown as cheap as he went and who was in our backyard.

In short North are just aggravating me off with their cheap gains not that Hrovat would necessarily be in our best 22 now.

GVGjr
14-05-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm sure you're right..it just boggles my mind. That the best deal for a guy who was an early 2nd round pick , who was unlucky not to play more for us and who is a walk up start in North's side was a swap of picks.
I'm amazed other clubs didn't show some interest is all.

It was a crazy trade period, a lot good players were traded for basically nothing.

It must make valuing players during trade periods so much harder now.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Hopefully Lukas Webb can prove to be adequate FA compo for losing Higgins who we decided not to match North's offer given his request to leave for North for a clean start as Hrovat did for a better opportunity.

I'm still a bit disappointed we didn't grab Ben Brown as cheap as he went and who was in our backyard.

In short North are just aggravating me off with their cheap gains not that Hrovat would necessarily be in our best 22 now.

History says taking Fuller over Ben Brown, who we really should've had dip at was not the greatest decision. Only Fuller & Hamilton haven't been given a game under Bevo (not last draft of course).

Topdog
15-05-2017, 10:23 AM

It is a raw deal but it was either get nothing and annoy him or take this.

ratsmac
15-05-2017, 07:47 PM
It was a crazy trade period, a lot good players were traded for basically nothing.

It must make valuing players during trade periods so much harder now.

True, Hawthorn gave away Mitchell and Lewis for a six pack.

boydogs
15-05-2017, 09:59 PM
True, Hawthorn gave away Mitchell and Lewis for a six pack.

That may have been more about salary. Hrovat & Stevens though, we were right to hope for more than we got

hujsh
15-05-2017, 10:43 PM
That may have been more about salary. Hrovat & Stevens though, we were right to hope for more than we got

Swings and roundabouts.

This is just the flip side of the Biggs deal.

Next time a decent but unproven prospect wants to come to our club I'm sure we'll all be happy with our traders again.

Sedat
15-05-2017, 10:47 PM
We needed to make a minimum 3 changes to the list, so Hrovat and Stevens were likely delistings in any event. We are being good corporate citizens for players that represented our colours - pay it forward and we'll get the rewards at a later stage on the way back.

comrade
15-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Swings and roundabouts.

This is just the flip side of the Biggs deal.

Next time a decent but unproven prospect wants to come to our club I'm sure we'll all be happy with our traders again.

And the Cloke deal. No one is giving up anything decent for blokes that are on the fringe.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Round 9

Dogs get given Pick 40
Roos get given Pick 48

(8 pick upgrade for Hrovat)

It's also about 130 extra draft points. For example, hypothetically say we had pick (12) 30 & 40 and had a trading partner for points, that would about 1058 points the same as pick 16. The most likely to need for an academy player might be Brisbane, who have 19.

So those extra points in this swap could help net 19. Then with 12 & 19 on a trade mission.

ratsmac
21-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Why is it when we send injury prone players to North they are no longer injury prone.

jeemak
22-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Hrovat having nine tackles was a pretty good effort today, on top of a reasonable disposal game for a high half forward.

Twodogs
22-05-2017, 01:26 AM
Hrovat having nine tackles was a pretty good effort today, on top of a reasonable disposal game for a high half forward.

He's a good player. If he hadn't kept getting injured just as he started to play good footy then he would have played a lot more senior games with us and probably not have gone anywhere.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2017, 01:27 PM
He's a good player. If he hadn't kept getting injured just as he started to play good footy then he would have played a lot more senior games with us and probably not have gone anywhere.

Not sure we gave him all the opportunity in the world, though.

He did have some injuries, but we also elected not to play him. He was dropped in 2015 after a 16 or 18 possession/1 goal game v Brisbane and didn't get a look in until very late, then got injured. He played most of last year but only had a handful of games in the seniors, subsequently being dropped for finals.

His good form looks like the result of playing games at the top level IMO.

Personally, I wish we kept him, but understand why he left.

comrade
22-05-2017, 03:05 PM
I've got no qualms at all with moving him on. Just proves the lack of depth at NM that he's doing ok there, where he'd always be a 25-30 guy for us.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Keep in mind byes will move this around over the next few weeks, but Round 10:

Dogs: Get Pick 42
Roos: Get Pick 50 or 51 (depending on GWS vs WCE result)

It's hovering around an 8 pick upgrade now.

always right
30-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I liked Hrovat...and still do...but I think we would struggle to play him, Daniel and Dahlhaus in the same team.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I liked Hrovat...and still do...but I think we would struggle to play him, Daniel and Dahlhaus in the same team.
Agree. You could probably add Maclean as well. With Murphy Jong and Wallis all missing our GF win it means that Hrovat and Kobi Stevens would not be in our best 25. They will both benefit from more opportunities at North and the Saints.

always right
31-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Agree. You could probably add Maclean as well. With Murphy Jong and Wallis all missing our GF win it means that Hrovat and Kobi Stevens would not be in our best 25. They will both benefit from more opportunities at North and the Saints.

I was thinking more of their height. McLean is a different type of player.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2017, 08:23 PM
There's a game out, due to byes, but round 11:

Dogs get pick 42
Roos get pick 49

bulldogtragic
11-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Round 12 (assuming no draw on Monday):

Dogs get pick 40
Roos get pick 47 (& Hrovat)

bulldogtragic
17-06-2017, 11:22 PM
By the end of Round 12:

Dogs: Get Pick 39
Roos: Get Pick 46-49

7-10 pick upgrade depending on the result tomorrow.

The Adelaide Connection
18-06-2017, 12:15 PM
With the logjam of the ladder and the way this season is unfolding, this thread will be a nailbitiing, scintillatingroller coaster over the final few rounds.

I haven't done a ladder predictor, but you would think North could finish as high as 9-10th and as low as 17th.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Hoping like hell we win for this reason. North's pick is currently 38, so if we can help keep them down there it's good for the trade and good for our season.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2017, 11:21 PM
This Round:

Dogs Get Pick 38
Roos Get Pick 46 or 47 (Depending on St Kilda result)

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 08:10 PM
R.15

Dogs Get Pick 38
Roos Get Pick 44 (& Hrovat)

6 pick upgrade.

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Norf must be tanking , or they're just flat out rubbish .

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Lindsay Thomas is getting a game

Sedat
01-07-2017, 10:03 PM
R.15

Dogs Get Pick 38

6 pick upgrade.
Norf have held up their end of the bargain at least :o

bulldogtragic
09-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Thank you Freo!!

Dogs Get Pick 38

A six pick upgrade. But in a draft points trade, if we are in one, some extra points can make the difference (extra 103 points on last year's calculations).

G-Mo77
10-07-2017, 12:57 AM
I still think we lost that one.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 03:45 AM
I still think we lost that one.

Just trying to make lemonade with it. If North knew how to win close games, they'd be ahead of us with a net gain... Thank God they choke well.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Round 17

Dogs Get Pick 38
Roos Get Pick 43-45 (& Hrovat)

- 5-7 Pick Upgrade for Hrovat
- Dogs With Picks (say something like, on current ladder) 8, 26 & 38 and free agency to consider

Remi Moses
15-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't think they would finish any higher to be honest .
They're becoming more irrelevant by the round , and to think Brad Scott with his appallingly bad record in close games is hot property .

kruder
15-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't think they would finish any higher to be honest .
They're becoming more irrelevant by the round , and to think Brad Scott with his appallingly bad record in close games is hot property .

Im confused by all this love for scott?

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 06:59 PM
I just enjoy seeing North lose and fall down the ladder. Having a vested interest in seeing them finish as low as possible is just gravy.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 05:32 PM
This Round:

Dogs Get Pick 38

Longer with Koby Stevens: Assuming St Kilda finish 10th

Dogs Get Pick 82 (& 11 pick upgrade in 2016)
ST Kilda Get pick 56 (& Koby Stevens)

So St Kilda get Koby Stevens, for an actual net gain of 15 draft picks. Great trading by them.

So:

Hrovat: net 6 pick upgrade to dogs
Stevens: net 15 pick downgrade away from dogs

Twodogs
22-07-2017, 06:28 PM
A look at our net gains and losses from our last trade period leaves me wondering what the hell we were doing?

I'm still dark that we lost Hamling for bugger all. Or at least we should have done better, I'm pissed off about that deal in particular.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2017, 08:25 PM
This Round:

Dogs Get Pick 38

Longer with Koby Stevens: Assuming St Kilda finish 10th

Dogs Get Pick 82 (& 11 pick upgrade in 2016)
ST Kilda Get pick 56 (& Koby Stevens)

So St Kilda get Koby Stevens, for an actual net gain of 15 draft picks. Great trading by them.

So:

Hrovat: net 6 pick upgrade to dogs

We got Lewis Young and only had to give up Kobra and 15 pick downgrade? Bargain!

Remi Moses
22-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Thought Hrovat was average today at best .

boydogs
23-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Factcheck: Misleading

Trading picks 9 & 10 for picks 1 & 50 is not a 32 pick downgrade

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Factcheck: Misleading

Trading picks 9 & 10 for picks 1 & 50 is not a 32 pick downgrade

Sorry, I don't understand.

We got an 11 pick upgrade for Koby Stevens last year. St Kilda will get a 26 pick upgrade this year. 26 - 11 = 15.

hujsh
23-07-2017, 05:00 PM

We got an 11 pick upgrade for Koby Stevens last year. St Kilda will get a 26 pick upgrade this year. 26 - 11 = 15.

I believe his point is that it might technically be a net pick downgrade but that doesn't account for the value of of the picks.

I guess a more extreme example would be trading 2 and 50 for 1 and 100. That's a 1 pick downgrade and an 50 pick upgrade but the value of said upgrade is debatable.

No idea how it applies to the Koby trade though as I don't remember the details

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 07:06 PM
I believe his point is that it might technically be a net pick downgrade but that doesn't account for the value of of the picks.

I guess a more extreme example would be trading 2 and 50 for 1 and 100. That's a 1 pick downgrade and an 50 pick upgrade but the value of said upgrade is debatable.

No idea how it applies to the Koby trade though as I don't remember the details

Ah, thanks. It still doesn't account for the actual trade. We went pick 61 into pick 50 last year. Saints going pick 82 into pick 56 this year.

It's a good trade for the Saints is the take home message, that's all. They gave up a little last year, but picked up a big chunk this year and got the player they wanted while being ahead. Saints will be happy getting pick 7 & pick 56 on top of their notional picks.

Sedat
23-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Ah, thanks. It still doesn't account for the actual trade. We went pick 61 into pick 50 last year. Saints going pick 82 into pick 56 this year.

It's a good trade for the Saints is the take home message, that's all. They gave up a little last year, but picked up a big chunk this year and got the player they wanted while being ahead. Saints will be happy getting pick 7 & pick 56 on top of their notional picks.
Big win for us if the expectation was that Lewis Young would be gone by pick 61. The pick downgrade in this years draft almost means nothing.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Big win for us if the expectation was that Lewis Young would be gone by pick 61. The pick downgrade in this years draft almost means nothing.

Except the trade was way before draft, and I don't think Young was in the mix until the SA combine. On the bones of the trade they did well. I think it's fine and have no dramas with it.

hujsh
23-07-2017, 08:55 PM

And Stevens doesn't look to be doing anything different to what we've seen in the past. Ping-ponging between the high twenties to the low teens in possessions, kicking the odd goal and (presumably) butchering and hospital hand passing the ball every now and then.

Even with the troubles we've has this year I kind of prefer having a roll of the dice on some of the young guys who seem to be doing OK. So a pick swap doesn't hurt too bad for a depth player

boydogs
23-07-2017, 09:00 PM

Would you trade picks 1 & 76 for picks 12 & 50?

Not saying it was a good trade, but maybe talk in terms of draft pick points not net upgrades when the picks are in different positions

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Would you trade picks 1 & 76 for picks 12 & 50?

Not saying it was a good trade, but maybe talk in terms of draft pick points not net upgrades when the picks are in different positions

I wouldn't do that trade. But that's a deformed narcoleptic mass murdering orange in a discussion about apples. Honestly, I think it's a difference without a distinction in this matter, but here goes:

The Koby Stevens trade is a loss to Western Bulldogs of Koby Stevens and approximately 56 draft points which equates to a late 4th round draft pick. So in draft points, we off loaded Koby for an actual net loss of a late 4th round pick.

boydogs
23-07-2017, 11:12 PM
The Koby Stevens trade is a loss to Western Bulldogs of Koby Stevens and approximately 56 draft points which equates to a late 4th round draft pick. So in draft points, we off loaded Koby for an actual net loss of a late 4th round pick.

Yep. Based on current ladder positions, ignoring the depth of each draft etc. About 5 ladder spots away from being turned in our favour points wise

It was a last minute trade deal, where we were probably faced with the prospect of either delisting him or getting him where he wanted to be for more opportunities. We can all value Koby more than what we got for him, but he wanted out and that was all that was on the table

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Yep. Based on current ladder positions, ignoring the depth of each draft etc. About 5 ladder spots away from being turned in our favour points wise

It was a last minute trade deal, where we were probably faced with the prospect of either delisting him or getting him where he wanted to be for more opportunities. We can all value Koby more than what we got for him, but he wanted out and that was all that was on the table

I have no problem with the trade at all, it's not a great trade, but it was the only one available. As you say he was headed out the door for nothing, so we shuffled some picks around hoping to get anything better than nothing. Typical for us, the year that player values dropped drastically we had Hamling, Hrovat & Stevens wanting out!! Hopefully there's some good value for players coming to us this year. I don't think we anticipated North possibly finishing 17th either. St Kilda must be happy they're on the right side of futuresntrades this year.

Can you imagine a world where North kept a few decent players (Harvey, Wells etc) and they knew how to finish games off... We would be looking at nothing for Hrovat. I was talking to a North fan a while back and they were hopeful that they could finish above us and trade up in that deal. Future trading is an interesting dimension now, and I'm happy that Hawthorn have pushed the Saints first rounder out of the top 5 realm.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2017, 09:39 PM
R.19

Dogs Get Pick 39
Roos Get Pick 44-47 (& Hrovat)

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 09:19 PM
R.20 Edition (Collingwood staying ahead, and WCE lose tomorrow playing in Melbourne)

Dogs Get Pick 39
Roos Get Pick 48 (& Hrovat)

9 pick upgrade.

Sedat
05-08-2017, 10:02 PM
R.20 Edition (Collingwood staying ahead, and WCE lose tomorrow playing in Melbourne)

Dogs Get Pick 39
Roos Get Pick 48 (& Hrovat)

9 pick upgrade.
The double blow of Carlton getting pipped was not just Essendon staying in the finals race but it would have dropped Norf down to 2nd last again.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 10:06 PM
The double blow of Carlton getting pipped was not just Essendon staying in the finals race but it would have dropped Norf down to 2nd last again.

Where was Liam Jones when we needed him?

Ozza
05-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Where was Liam Jones when we needed him?

Was probably Carlton's best player.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 10:25 PM

Surely he had another effort to stop that last goal.

Bulldog4life
06-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Watched the game. His improvement in the last 6 weeks or so is remarkable. Good on him.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2017, 04:38 PM
R.21

Dogs Get Pick 39
Roos Get Pick 46 (& Hrovat)

7 pick upgrade.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Rooting ahead:

St Kilda defeats North
Brisbane defeats North (Gabba) (Fighting for the wooden spoon most likely)

Dogs Get Pick 38 (If Carlton defeats Hawks next week, then pick 37)

North Get Pick ** (Don't really care what the pick is we give them back, but it will be a minimal upgrade) & Hrovat

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Final (safe to say I can make some assumptions)

Hrovat, Picks 45 & 63 - for - Picks 40 & 58 (on traded below)

Stevens, Pick 61 (2016) & Pick 58 (2017) - for - Pick 50 (2016) & Pick 80 (2017)

So in our hands a five pick upgrade for Hrovat
Last year an 11 pick upgrade in our hands, but a 22 drop this year for Stevens.

Likely picks for this year's draft: 9, 27 & 40

Sedat
19-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Carlton winning tonight has put Norf right in the mix for the wooden spoon. They won't beat St Kilda tomorrow and I don't think they can beat Brisbane at the Gabba next week.

Sedat
26-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Looks like a pissy 4 pick upgrade instead of 7 picks. Thanks for nothing Norf.

G-Mo77
26-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Looks like a pissy 4 pick upgrade instead of 7 picks. Thanks for nothing Norf.

And people were happy with the return. Horrible trade at the time and an even worse one now.

Sedat
26-08-2017, 05:38 PM
And people were happy with the return. Horrible trade at the time and an even worse one now.
Don't really care about the trade - Hrovat is a 22-30 player with us and a starting 18 player with a cellar dweller. Would have been nice to have 3 picks in the top 40.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Don't really care about the trade - Hrovat is a 22-30 player with us and a starting 18 player with a cellar dweller. Would have been nice to have 3 picks in the top 40.

Technically we do. We will get pick 40 off them, but the adjustments will push it out.

So we as a net went backwards with trading Hrovat & Stevens. Backwards. But Tim O'Brien looks good and we've got the 3 Lake premierships to look back on.

Hopefully we can make some lemonade with this lemon.

Sedat
26-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Technically we do. We will get pick 40 off them, but the adjustments will push it out.

So we as a net went backwards with trading Hrovat & Stevens. Backwards. But Tim O'Brien looks good and we've got the 3 Lake premierships to look back on.

Hopefully we can make some lemonade with this lemon.
I should have clarified - I don't really care about losing Hrovat. Agree that the trade machinatiins were poor but Hrovat in or out of the team in 2017 would not have made a lick of difference.