PDA

View Full Version : The small, quick forward pocket.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Should we be looking at this as an area of the list that needs attention? Nearly all the main decent ones are indigenous:

Cyril Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts, Micahel Wolters, Daniel Rioli, McDonald-Tippenwoddi, Steve Motlop, Nakai Cockatoo, Lindsay Thomas (less his lack of character), Chad Wingard etc.

These types of players tend to add an extra dimension (speed, pressure, X factor etc) to a forward line, but in cut throat finals they don't tend to always be the most reliable. Do we need or want this type, if so, draft or trade?

comrade
15-04-2017, 09:06 PM
What I what give for Charlie Cameron.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:07 PM
What I what give for Charlie Cameron.

What is that? A draft pick, player, huge offer?

Or draft the next CC?

comrade
15-04-2017, 09:13 PM
What is that? A draft pick, player, huge offer?

Or draft the next CC?

I'd happily give up our first which would be mid-late teens.

Sedat
15-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Cyril Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts, Micahel Wolters, Daniel Rioli, McDonald-Tippenwoddi, Steve Motlop, Nakai Cockatoo, Lindsay Thomas (less his lack of character), Chad Wingard etc.
Malcolm Lynch, Brennan Stack :o

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Malcolm Lynch, Brennan Stack :o

Josh Hill, Zeph Skinner, Shane Thorne!! :D

One rated by Dalrymple.

Sedat
15-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Josh Hill, Zeph Skinner, Shane Thorne!! :D

One rated by Dalrymple.
Forgot about the magic man!

comrade
15-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Are we no good at picking this type of player or are we no good at developing them?

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Are we no good at picking this type of player or are we no good at developing them?

Certainly can't say we've developed them well. I don't think Dalrymple has had a go yet, so we can't use some of those horror picks.

Perhaps more pertinent, why has Dal not drafted one under successive coaches? Is it from the coaches? Does he not rate the type? Has he not had the chance to nab one?

comrade
15-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Certainly can't say we've developed them well. I don't think Dalrymple has had a go yet, so we can't use some of those horror picks.

Perhaps more pertinent, why has Dal not drafted one under successive coaches? Is it from the coaches? Does he not rate the type? Has he not had the chance to nab one?

We were reportedly very keen on Cedric Cox and may have taken Ben Long if he'd have lasted to our later picks. Would love us to invest in that type this year. We've got the perfect development set up now to support them.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:50 PM
I'd happily give up our first which would be mid-late teens.

Based on his first half tonight, Adelaide would laugh at us. To have he and Betts, around Walker with support of Perkins and others is a great forwardline - hence they're on track for a 200 point game.

GVGjr
15-04-2017, 09:50 PM
We were reportedly very keen on Cedric Cox and may have taken Ben Long if he'd have lasted to our later picks. Would love us to invest in that type this year. We've got the perfect development set up now to support them.

I think we traded to move up the draft order to add one of those guys so this could have been our way of addressing the small and evasive forward pocket type.

I have to say as a supporter it's pretty exciting when you have a dynamic small forward.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:51 PM
I think we traded to move up the draft order to add one of those guys so this could have been our way of addressing the small and evasive forward pocket type.

I have to say as a supporter it's pretty exciting when you have a dynamic small forward.

Anyone on your scouting radar this year G?

GVGjr
15-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Anyone on your scouting radar this year G?

Haven't seen too much yet. It would be a nice addition though.
I think if either of those boys were available at our 2nd selection last year we might have grabbed one of them

Bulldog Revolution
15-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Nice thread tragic

This highlights our current inability to hold the ball in our forward line - we desperately miss Dickson in our forward line but he's not the type of small forward you are referring to

Its funny we don have a traditional crumbing small forward on our list - Bailey Dale might be the closest to having the skill set

Richmond and Essendon have re-jigged their forward lines and teams by adding 2-3 quick smalls

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 09:44 AM
How about Gary Ablett in a forward pocket next year, all year?

ledge
16-04-2017, 10:11 AM
SEN reporting we are chasing GA Jnr .. That would be the perfect spot for him nowadays .,forward pocket , but didn't he sook it up the other week because he wasn't in the middle ?
I imagine he wouldn't cost much at all.
He obviously wants out with his "I might retire next year" statement.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 10:17 AM
SEN reporting we are chasing GA Jnr .. That would be the perfect spot for him nowadays .,forward pocket , but didn't he sook it up the other week because he wasn't in the middle ?

Forgive me, is that serious that SEN reported that? If so, what's their source?

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Yep heard the same thing we are going hard at him. SEN last week stated that it was highly unlikely he would be going to Geelong next year as well. I've thrown it up under its own heading for discussion. Will be interested to get Woof views on this.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2017, 11:35 AM
I've been hoping for a few years we add a quick small forward.

Speed in the front half is just about as important now as it is in the back half, and with Dahlhaus being one of our best midfielders, we're seeing JJ and Murph spend time forward, but they're not in the same mould as the type we really need and too valuable down back.

boydogs
16-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Dickson does a decent job of this, we miss him

bornadog
16-04-2017, 03:19 PM
One of the best small forwards in the AFL and highly underrated by many

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 03:24 PM

One of the best small forwards in the AFL and highly underrated by many

I consider him more of a mid sized forward. Who underestimates him? Opposition supporters? I wouldn't say he plays like a Betts, Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Wolters etc. as per the OP.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Dicko is more of a marking mid-sized forward who makes the most of set shots than a run them down who creates and finishes chances with his pace I would have thought. Very good at what he does but a different type to what we are talking about.

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Dicko is more of a marking mid-sized forward who makes the most of set shots than a run them down who creates and finishes chances with his pace I would have thought. Very good at what he does but a different type to what we are talking about.

He's more Bruest than Cameron.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 05:09 PM
He's more Bruest than Cameron.

Exactly. I was trying to think of an example and I could only think of Ken Hunter. The two big problems with him were not many posters would know who he is and he played in the backline, apart from that he was perfect in that they are both Anglos who play(ed) footy.

bornadog
16-04-2017, 10:54 PM
I consider him more of a mid sized forward. Who underestimates him? Opposition supporters? I wouldn't say he plays like a Betts, Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Wolters etc. as per the OP.

He is not flashy like those guys, but is an opportunist and knows how to hit the scoreboard.

Hotdog60
16-04-2017, 11:15 PM
What's Lipinski profile could he play a role or he's not the quick type. On the other hand could Lynch move from defence to the forward line.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 11:18 PM
He is not flashy like those guys, but is an opportunist and knows how to hit the scoreboard.

He's more than that. He's a gun who avaerages 3 goals per final, despite the lack of credit most commentators give him. Add in Cloke, Boyd, Stringer & Crameri and Dickson will rise to another level getting lesser defenders week in and out.

I'm in two minds on the general issue. A very good Rioli/Betts/Cameron/Walters type would round out our forward mix again, which makes all our other forwards better again. Seems good for balance. But they're not generally the most reliable players in red hot finals, like Gary Rohan.

Happy Days
17-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Charlie Cameron is closer to Dahl than Eddie Betts, albeit with a far more damaging kick. He's moving into the midfield while still being super dangerous when pushed inside 50. He's a total stud and our first pick wouldn't be nearly enough for him.

mjp
17-04-2017, 07:03 PM
We didn't rate Cameron in his draft year.

No-one seems to rate Liam Ryan (undrafted last year) but he is as talented as any player in Australia - inside or outside of the AFL system.

I left the game half way through the last quarter on Friday but I think he already had 6 playing against the West Coast reserves (Erik McKenzie was running around down back) and seems to be able to do whatever he wants to do.

Here's a mark he took last week but he does this every week! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7UrIhpyTrc

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Any reasons rumoured as to why he was not drafted?

I wonder if we move him into the Ballarat region, if can we category B rookie him? Neither WA club wanted to even Cat B him?

comrade
17-04-2017, 08:18 PM
With Hawthorn finally diving off the cliff and in dire need of picks, what would they ask in return for Cyril? Would they even consider trading him? Would he suit us?

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 08:23 PM
With Hawthorn finally diving off the cliff and in dire need of picks, what would they ask in return for Cyril? Would they even consider trading him? Would he suit us?

I reckon they'd shop Puopolo first. Not they would do it, and Rioli has a huge Hawk tattooed across his chest. He'd look pretty silly showering at a new club. :D

Sedat
17-04-2017, 08:30 PM
I reckon they'd shop Puopolo first. Not they would do it, and Rioli has a huge Hawk tattooed across his chest. He'd look pretty silly showering at a new club. :D
Wouldn't take much for a tattooist to change it to an Eagle. Other than that he is stuffed :D

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't take much for a tattooist to change it to an Eagle. Other than that he is stuffed :D

What about the Hawk wearing a Bulldogs jumper? Or get it named Dougie, and he can tell everyone it's because how much he always loved Dougie 'The Hawk' Hawkin's. :D

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 08:33 PM

A Crow. A weird looking swan.

mjp
17-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Any reasons rumoured as to why he was not drafted?

I wonder if we move him into the Ballarat region, if can we category B rookie him? Neither WA club wanted to even Cat B him?

Didn't test well. I wouldn't think he would interview well.

He is from Geraldton so not sure how that works for Cat B or what club has access to that area...I probably should understand the academy system a lot better than I do.

The Pie Man
18-04-2017, 11:44 AM
I recall us being linked to Daniel Rioli before Richmond took him - no idea if we would've taken him if available, but I agree that a player of that ilk would be ideal.

We do miss Dickson, though he is a terrific contested mark/lead for his size. More Brad Johnson really (and no, not as good)

ledge
19-04-2017, 05:26 PM
I think Ben long was our target for the role but saints got him first.