PDA

View Full Version : Other Club Trade Talk 2017

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 08:38 PM
A home for all things, hypothetical trades or trade ideas.

Something like.... gee Hawthorn are screwed and may not have a pick until the late 30's this draft after having nothing inside 90 last year. I wonder if they'll desperately get back in and shop Gunston, Puopolo, Rioli, Smith or younger players who would interest us...

Doc26
17-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Given our lack of key position defenders coming on, and with Moz nearing the end, possibly Ben Stratton for a late 3rd+ rounder. He's 28 now so good chance for him to move on to a team more in the window. I'd imagine Bevo would have a strong connection given his role in defence at Hawthorn.

Bit like our Brian Lake trade reversed.

boydogs
17-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Given our lack of key position defenders coming on, and with Moz nearing the end, possibly Ben Stratton for a late 3rd+ rounder. He's 28 now so good chance for him to move on to a team more in the window. I'd imagine Bevo would have a strong connection given his role in defence at Hawthorn.

Bit like our Brian Lake trade reversed.

Like this one. Stratton has been their Morris

Twodogs
01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
On SEN today, St Kilda official quoted as saying they had agreed to terms with Nat Fyfe but I can't remember for how long. Five years sounds right.

1eyedog
01-05-2017, 07:05 PM
On SEN today, St Kilda official quoted as saying they had agreed to terms with Nat Fyfe but I can't remember for how long. Five years sounds right.

Are you sure it was a St. Kilda official? I heard a W.A radio broadcaster had been 'told' by a St. Kilda official that a deal was done, to which Fyfe's management came straight out and said it was untrue.

GVGjr
01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Nathan Brown apparently indicated on the future stars show that we are right into Sydneys Sam Reid.

I'm not sure how well connected he is.

chef
01-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Nathan Brown apparently indicated on the future stars show that we are right into Sydneys Sam Reid.

Would be a great get.

Scraggers
01-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Are you sure it was a St. Kilda official? I heard a W.A radio broadcaster had been 'told' by a St. Kilda official that a deal was done, to which Fyfe's management came straight out and said it was untrue.

You are correct ... it was a radio DJ over here saying he got it from an official. The radio DJ is not a sports jock, he is a run of the mill radio guy. Does the breakfast show on the fourth/fifth biggest station in Perth.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 08:14 PM

I wonder what role exactly. He's on $650,000 or so, Jack Gunston is on $650,000. I know which I'd prefer for the money.

Twodogs
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM

No, not entirely. I wasn't really paying attention to the detail. Don't rate Fyfe at that sort of money.

He's been around the club a fair bit lately (funnily he seemed to turn about October 2nd last year!:) so he might have some good mail.

You are correct ... it was a radio DJ over here saying he got it from an official. The radio DJ is not a sports jock, he is a run of the mill radio guy. Does the breakfast show on the fourth/fifth biggest station in Perth.

Thanks Scraggers.

Dry Rot
01-05-2017, 10:05 PM
I've seen a fair bit of Reid over the years.

Has shown some promise, but still an enigma to me. Also a bit worried about whatever kept him out of the game.

Is he a free agent?

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 10:11 PM
I've seen a fair bit of Reid over the years.

Has shown some promise, but still an enigma to me. Also a bit worried about whatever kept him out of the game.

Is he a free agent?

Yep. Restricted, although they probably can't renew him/match offers on similar money. His brother is a FA next year.

GVGjr
01-05-2017, 11:07 PM
I wonder what role exactly. He's on $650,000 or so, Jack Gunston is on $650,000. I know which I'd prefer for the money.

Gunston has a long contract doesn't he?
I don't think Reid will command 650K going forward.

Reid is the jack of all trades player without being a star. Can play forward or back and can even take a turn in the ruck.
Is Gunston worth 650K? Probably but I don't think he can carry a forward line like some others could.

jeemak
01-05-2017, 11:19 PM

Does/can Sam Reid help out in the ruck?

If so, and if we land him, you're more likely to get your Tom Boyd spending the majority time forward wish you've ever so subtly been angling for this past little while!

Gunston is the better forward, especially within the open space of the MCG. I reckon a bit of that would get lost in the narrower confines of Docklands, but not to the extent where he couldn't perform above the level Reid could.

1eyedog
01-05-2017, 11:21 PM
It will be interesting to see how strong the bloods culture is and whether they can keep all of their stars if they're struggling with 3 or 4 other clubs for a top 8 position over the next 3 years.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2017, 12:02 AM

Reid is the jack of all trades player without being a star. Can play forward or back and can even take a turn in the ruck.
Is Gunston worth 650K? Probably but I don't think he can carry a forward line like some others could.

Does/can Sam Reid help out in the ruck?

If so, and if we land him, you're more likely to get your Tom Boyd spending the majority time forward wish you've ever so subtly been angling for this past little while!

Gunston is the better forward, especially within the open space of the MCG. I reckon a bit of that would get lost in the narrower confines of Docklands, but not to the extent where he couldn't perform above the level Reid could.

Gunston has a contract, but I think he's gettable if they need to get into the draft in a good way. He's proven as a forward, and his finals & grand finals record is very, very good. Reid does have the advantage of being a free agent. Before Liam Jones went right down the shitter, I always thought Reid & Jones were very close in style. I'm not sold his talent/consistency or his durability is worth the salary required to land him. I guess it's the balance of weighing up trading or keeping picks and trying to plunder free agency while we at most as we have ever been to a destination club. I'm open to all options as a process of improving the list, if our offer was very strong Sydney could get a top 5 pick in compo or at worst 18-23 pick which will help their rebuild. I imagine offers will come in for 5 years at $550,000+ . Are we comfortable with that with others free agents around?

Twodogs
02-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Yep. Restricted, although they probably can't renew him/match offers on similar money. His brother is a FA next year.

I thought Ben was already a FA.

Gunston can kick straight which already offers a point of difference to our other forwards. I think Reid will fit our versatile mantra better than Gunston. He has missed a bit of footy with a recurring injury though hasn't he? And F/Ss from other clubs have been doing alright for us lately, with Cloke, Picken, Dunkley, Dickson and a few others on the list having dads that played at other clubs.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Big yes to Reid.

Gunston, not sure - dependent on Crameri's year.