PDA

View Full Version : Clay Smith v Hayden Crozier - a discussion in hindsight.

bornadog
19-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Reading through the Tory Dickson thread I came across this: (BTW, where are you Desi)

Interesting to see who will become the better player Crozier or Clay Smith. Especially given B Mac wanted Smith and the recruiting guys wanted Crozier.
It sounds like Crozier has the potential to become an A grader however needs to put in alot of work in the gym. I have read there are queries on his desire/intensity, he can often go in and out of games. Prefers to take a hanger than provide multiple leads to the kicker.

Smith is probably the safer bet in terms of being able to get the best out of himself. Has been reported that he hunts the ball even if he is outnumbered, hits the man hard and will do everything possible to become an AFL footballer. (Hopefully he can address his kicking) Probably does not have the upside of a Crozier but as I said previously perhaps a safer bet? What do you think?

That got me thinking, did we make the right decision at the time? Who would you prefer now in hindsight?

Here is a comparison of the players, and let's forget Clay ahs had 3 knee reco's.

Player Statistics Comparison

Clay Smith (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--clay-smith)
Name
Hayden Crozier (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--hayden-crozier)

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Team
Fremantle Dockers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)

Forward
Position
Defender

Career Games

Gippsland Power
Origin
Eastern Ranges

May 11, 1993
Date of Birth
December 24, 1993

23yr 11mth

182cm
Height
185cm

83kg
Weight
83kg

2011 National Draft (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P)
Last Drafted In
2011 National Draft (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P)

Round 1, Pick #17
Last Draft Position
Round 1, Pick #20

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Last Drafted By
Fremantle Dockers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)

Career
Stats for Season
Career

Games

Kicks Per Game

Handballs Per Game

Disposals Per Game

Marks Per Game

Goals Per Game

Behinds Per Game

Tackles Per Game

Hitouts Per Game

Inside 50s Per Game

Goal Assists Per Game

Frees For Per Game

Frees Against Per Game

Contested Possessions Per Game

Uncontested Possessions Per Game

Effective Disposals Per Game

65.2%
Disposal Efficiency % Per Game
73.8%

Clangers Per Game

Contested Marks Per Game

Marks Inside 50 Per Game

Clearances Per Game

Rebound 50s Per Game

One Percenters Per Game

Bounces Per Game

Time On Ground % Per Game

always right
19-04-2017, 05:06 PM
You can't take into consideration the knee injuries as it is purely subjective as to whether they have held him back or made him even more determined.

They are such different players it's difficult to make a comparison. Whilst Smith is less skilful, one of the major criticisms was his kicking which he has improved dramatically. The knock on Crozier was his application and whilst there have been promising signs in recent weeks, he has yet to show the required improvement to make any long term judgement.

At this stage McCartney made the right call.

Ozza
19-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Clay Smith being best on ground and kicking 4 goals in a prelim kind of makes it hard for Crozier to ever be in front in my eyes, in that comparison!

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Clay Smith being best on ground and kicking 4 goals in a prelim kind of makes it hard for Crozier to ever be in front in my eyes, in that comparison!

Well said.

hujsh
19-04-2017, 06:29 PM
You can't take into consideration the knee injuries as it is purely subjective as to whether they have held him back or made him even more determined.

Seems unlikely given everything that's ever been said about him.

No doubt he'd have played far more games if he'd been fit his entire time at the club and his finals performances were a perfect demonstration of his value

ledge
19-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Who knows it depends on development too . Our development is very good so we will never know what Crozier could have been with us.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Take out Clay's 3 knee Reco's and he'd be around the 100 game mark.
Clay every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 10:44 PM
I was kind of hoping that Crozier would have another year in and out of the Freo team because I think he would have been a terrific moneyball selection on the cheap. He looks like he's turned the corner off an admittedly small sample size in the last couple of weeks. I do love his skillset.

Clay's finals series last year immortalises him as a Bulldog legend. Whatever happens in the future, he was a vital part of our September campaign and will always justify the decision to select him.

westdog54
19-04-2017, 10:50 PM
First answer: I'm pretty sure Desi was given a permanent holiday.

Second answer: they're both excellent players, and I'll always be grateful for Clay's contribution last September.

boydogs
19-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Yeah Crozier only being 4 games ahead of Clay despite 3 ACL's is pretty decisive

Can't believe Clay hasn't made it to 50 games yet

Mofra
20-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Crozier needs the ball in his hands to impact the contest, Smith doesn't.
That puts Clay ahead for me.

Topdog
20-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Entirely different types of players. I love Clay but his career may be a short one.

SonofScray
20-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Clay's best is a manifestation of what we as fans love/want to identify about Footscray's footballing identity. It is hard, tough, determined and ruthless physically as well as effective up front. He is a little like Libba Snr in that respect.

Remi Moses
20-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Crozier is very silky, but I'd take clay .
Just reckon Crozier's the sort of player who wouldn't get near it in a final .
Just my two bobs

LostDoggy
20-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Crozier is very silky, but I'd take clay .
Just reckon Crozier's the sort of player who wouldn't get near it in a final .
Just my two bobs

Garry Rohan says hello ;)

jeemak
21-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Interesting that they started at very different football clubs in terms of list phases, he would have received more opportunity in our program as a first and second year player - at the same time Clay would have played considerably more football had he not have had knee injuries.

As Ozza states, it's hard to look past Clay given his heroics in the preliminary final last year. The big question is which of the two players is capable of taking a step up to the next level.

Crozier looks to have a lot of class and seems like a player who will turn into someone who would only need a few touches to really hurt you.

EasternWest
21-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Interesting that they started at very different football clubs in terms of list phases, he would have received more opportunity in our program as a first and second year player - at the same time Clay would have played considerably more football had he not have had knee injuries.

As Ozza states, it's hard to look past Clay given his heroics in the preliminary final last year. The big question is which of the two players is capable of taking a step up to the next level.

Crozier looks to have a lot of class and seems like a player who will turn into someone who would only need a few touches to really hurt you.

You mean like 4 touches in a prelim ;)?

bornadog
15-09-2017, 12:00 AM
May end up with both.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 10:07 AM
May end up with both.

I'm happy we are actively looking to address need. Trengove addresses defence/ruck, and we need good kicks. So Crozier would be a good get. Another one or two good users would be ideal through tree and hopefully Webb can break into the side more next year and use that great left foot of his.