PDA

View Full Version : Cats And Dogs

HOSE B ROMERO
16-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Geelong... I should hate them more than i do. Not only for those finals losses in the '90's ('Billy, the monkey's off the back'. Thanks Sandy Roberts.) But also because of all those trips made down to 'sleepy hollow' only to make the sombre trip home without the points. There was a victory, probably in the early 90's (probably on youtube but unsure how to post it here) which felt like nirvana at the time. And another around the same time which we lost narrowly after Michael Frost missed a set shot late in the game. Probably the most damning statistic is that in all of EJ's career(20 years) he never played in a winning side........... that's right folks; apparently we were winless at the cattery from 1945 - 1972!!

Of the 76 matches we've played down there, we have won 15 (20%).

So surely now is the time for the club to 'draw a line in the sand'. A new era. Come on boys; time to avenge all that misery suffered by the players and supporters who made the trek down Highway 1 for all those years.

Remi Moses
16-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Won there in 95 ( stirring victory just after EJ's death)
Had many a mare of a day down there , Round 2 1994 springs to mind .
Had a couple of come from behind games in 01 and 02, and last win was in 03, which was about 5 ground upgrades ago

1eyedog
16-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Geelong... I should hate them more than i do. Not only for those finals losses in the '90's ('Billy, the monkey's off the back'. Thanks Sandy Roberts.) But also because of all those trips made down to 'sleepy hollow' only to make the sombre trip home without the points. There was a victory, probably in the early 90's (probably on youtube but unsure how to post it here) which felt like nirvana at the time. And another around the same time which we lost narrowly after Michael Frost missed a set shot late in the game. Probably the most damning statistic is that in all of EJ's career(20 years) he never played in a winning side........... that's right folks; apparently we were winless at the cattery from 1945 - 1972!!

Of the 76 matches we've played down there, we have won 15 (20%).

So surely now is the time for the club to 'draw a line in the sand'. A new era. Come on boys; time to avenge all that misery suffered by the players and supporters who made the trek down Highway 1 for all those years.

I'll hate them more than you do for you then.

bornadog
17-05-2017, 12:05 AM
I remember going down there is 1985 when we had a pretty good team.

This was the first win I saw down there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITBWyKGbgQQ

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 12:48 AM

Yep. Remember that. Going down on the funny old train with the compartments.

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 01:01 AM
An essay a friend of mine wrote on Australianfootball.com;

What follows is a Footscray/Western Bulldogs side of note. The team, from the backline, is as follows:

B: Ian Bryant (7) Herb Henderson (4) Dave Bryden (5)
HB: Ray Walker (3) David Darcy (7) John Jillard (10)
C: Dick Wearmouth (6) Terry Wallace (3) Simon Atkins (6)
HF: Alan Mannix (4) Kelvin Templeton (3) Graham Ion (5)
F: Don McKenzie (7) Ray Baxter (5) Charlie Sutton (9)
Foll: John Schultz (9) Ian Dunstan (5) Tony McGuiness (4)
Res: Dale Morris (4) Merv Hobbs (2)

A pretty good combination I’m sure you’d agree. Add EJ, Peter Box, Jack Collins and Wally Donald and you’d be ready to take on anyone. The honours amassed by the squad is impressive. Eight won the clubs Best and Fairest award - 16 wins in total - three are Brownlow Medallists and Kelvin Templeton grabbed two Coleman Medals in the late 70s. Four of the squad – Henderson, Jillard, Schultz and Templeton were named in the Footscray/Western Bulldogs “Team of the century” in 2003.

And the significance of the numbers in parentheses next to the players?

It represents the number of times that player took the field for the Scraggers at the home of the Geelong Football Club, Kardinia Park. Sadly, it also corresponds with the number of losses that player experienced at the venue while sporting the team's Tri-coloursĀ¹.

The “Cattery” has never been the happiest of hunting grounds for the Footscray Football Club, the 70 kilometre return journey along the Highway has more often than not proved to be a tortuous one for players and supporters alike. It’s staged 54 Cat & Dog skirmishes, (1941-2014 inclusive) since Geelong shifted its home matches there from its former abode, Corio Oval with the Bullies experiencing the thrill of victory on just 13 occasions. A draw on the opening day of the 1957 season was the closest the potential additions I offered to the “Best of” team above (Whitten snr, Box, Collins and Donald) came to a win there. Surprisingly Footscray prevailed in their first three visits to Kardinia Park. However the final leg of the trifecta, a 13.19-97 to 11.14-80 triumph on Saturday 14 July 1945 would be the last time they would depart the Moorabool Street venue with the four premiership points for more than a generation. This essay re-visits the lead-up to, and the eventual drought breaking victory, enjoyed by the boys of the Bulldog breed. The day they blew their Barwon blues to bits.

It's a bit long to reproduce in full here but you can read it in full at http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Hooroo%2Bhoodoo/1373

Danny the snakeman
17-05-2017, 01:05 AM
We have only lost there once as reigning premiers so we can even the ledger this week.

LostDoggy
17-05-2017, 08:43 AM

I remember this game very well. Aside from our dismantling of Essendon at home, it was probably the best game we played in a very memorable home and away season. The match highlight for mine was Les Bamblett kicking the best individual goal I have ever seen by a Bulldog late in the 3rd, just as Geelong were looking dangerous. Unforunately doesn't seem to be in the footage.

cinder
17-05-2017, 10:24 AM
I'd love to beat them, can't remember the last time. Sick of them just having their way with us.

Mofra
17-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Harry Taylor has never played in a Geelong side that has lost to the Bulldogs.

Mantis
17-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Whilst it sounds impressive, it's not true... He played in the rd 21 clash in 2009 which we won by 14pts.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4143

always right
17-05-2017, 01:30 PM

How good would it be to have Lally Bamblett playing for us nowadays? He had an exceptional year in 1985.

bornadog
17-05-2017, 02:08 PM
We need to fix up Harry.

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 02:09 PM
John Schultz went up the highway 9 times and never got a win. I hate those *!*!*!*!ing farm boys so much.

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 02:10 PM
How good would it be to have Lally Bamblett playing for us nowadays? He had an exceptional year in 1985.

Wouldn't he just be the perfect addition. With the amount of time the ball spends in our forward 50 Lal would easily kick 100 goals. A game.

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Wouldn't he just be the perfect addition. With the amount of time the ball spends in our forward 50 Lal would easily kick 100 goals. A game.

bornadog
17-05-2017, 05:02 PM

It was a fantastic year watching Lally and Beazer kick goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2017, 05:22 PM
My most hated side.

It's about time we learn how to beat them, it's ridiculous that we haven't since 2009.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-05-2017, 06:37 PM

Look as much as i loved watching Lally in his prime, he must be in his 50's now... it would be asking a bit much of him, i would think.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-05-2017, 06:40 PM
My most hated side.

It's about time we learn how to beat them, it's ridiculous that we haven't since 2009.

Wow, i don't hear them on the most hated list very often. Except maybe by Hawks fans.

Twodogs
17-05-2017, 08:22 PM
How much trouble did Jack Edwards and Peter McKenna have saying Zeno Tzatzaris's name? "Theres a Footscray player down behind the play. Its chatz, tehzat, ummm, Tatt,errr,tizaris. Im not sure who that is Jack"

KT31
18-05-2017, 03:34 AM
Piemans accuraccy would be bloody brilliant now days.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Yep, would have been there but can't remember it. Players in those days certainly had to cope with a lot of muddy grounds.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Yep, would have been there but can't remember it. Players in those days certainly had to cope with a lot of muddy grounds.

I was at the ground that day. Actually I was at every game at KP when we were playing from 1977 onwards :D

bornadog
18-05-2017, 08:58 PM
I was at the ground that day. Actually I was at every game at KP when we were playing from 1977 onwards :D

Can't remember what year it was but sometime in the 80s, do you recall Foster knocking out Stoneham in the last quarter. I remember it was a close game, and I think we lost by a few points.

Edit: just looked it up, 1990 and we lost by 2 points, kicked 16 behinds.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Geezzz... that must have require a lot of sessions with the shrink. :eek: