PDA

View Full Version : This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

bornadog
20-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Three ageing champions who have served the club well, but the end comes quickly.

Murphy and MBoyd will be 36 next year and Morris will be 36 at the end of next year.

We need to plan for their exit.

always right
20-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Based on their performances so far this season;
Boyd...definitely his last year. Webb looking to be a possible replacement. Similar leg speed but a much better kick.
Murphy...probably his last year. Has been solid but showing signs that another season would be too much of a stretch. Has lost that explosiveness in his running and tends to glide around. Williams looking to be a likely replacement.
Morris...probably his last year. Started the season well before being injured. Back half of the year will tell the story. Cordy and Roberts likely replacements.

Mantis
20-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Have we seen enough from Morris to make an informed decision yet? Let's see how he goes in the 2nd half of the year before we make a call on him.

comrade
20-05-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm not writing either Murphy or Morris off, especially Morris.

Boyd's time has come, both in terms of his own output and the fact we have other players to transition into his role.

always right
20-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Have we seen enough from Morris to make an informed decision yet? Let's see how he goes in the 2nd half of the year before we make a call on him.

Agree

Sedat
20-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Boyd yes, the other two we can review later in the year. Bob was almost our best player last night and has not lost any of his agility and pace. Let's not look at the birth certificate and instead judge the onfield output.

comrade
20-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Boyd yes, the other two we can review later in the year. Bob was almost our best player last night and has not lost any of his agility and pace. Let's not look at the birth certificate and instead judge the onfield output.

Yeah, I've read a few comments about Bob's foot skills but he looked like the only one capable of slicing through Geelong's zone and hitting targets in the corridor. Tommy Porkins running him down wasn't a great look but he's not ready for the Old Yella treatment just yet.

always right
20-05-2017, 01:56 PM
To be fair though, Hawkins running down Bob is symptomatic of where Bob is. He glides along without his characteristic burst of speed nowadays. Whilst his pace over 20-30m seems to be okay, it's that explosiveness over the first 10m he is now missing.....understandably.

Sedat
20-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I've read a few comments about Bob's foot skills but he looked like the only one capable of slicing through Geelong's zone and hitting targets in the corridor. Tommy Porkins running him down wasn't a great look but he's not ready for the Old Yella treatment just yet.
We were on the receiving end of 130+ tackles - don't think any team would complete every single kick with precision on the back of that level of opposition pressure. I'd still rather the ball in Bob's hands than most of his teammates.

GVGjr
20-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Yep, way too early to make a call on Morris

bornadog
20-05-2017, 03:16 PM
I have seen it time and time again, players playing well in their mid 30s and bang a brick wall. I would rather do a North and pick a fresh batch of kids or a marque player from another club. To me the risk is too high to play 36 year olds next year.

Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?

soupman
20-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?
Depends.

If they are clearly better than their replacement yes.

If they are comparable with their replacement but their replacement will improve with game time probably.

If they are much better than the expected output of their replacement, keep.

Boyd and Murphy should be surpassed by Williams and Webb by the start of next year, with Lynch being a possible and Biggs another who in form is good enough.

Morris is harder. Cordy and Adams are kind of the cover, but Adams is a different style. I think if his form remains decent then he gets another year. W can afford to invest one list spot on him.

boydogs
20-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Last year for all 3 I think. The replacements are there

boydogs
20-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Morris is harder. Cordy and Adams are kind of the cover, but Adams is a different style. I think if his form remains decent then he gets another year. W can afford to invest one list spot on him.

It's the spot in the senior side as well as the spot on the list. If Morris went on he might be relegated to a Will Minson break in case of emergency role

Twodogs
21-05-2017, 01:44 AM

I agree. He was playing well before his injury and he came straight back into the team friday on night without any match time to find some touch. Let's wait for a few games before we retire him.

Murph will make the right decision for the right reasons. He will know if he's right to go on.

MrMahatma
21-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Would say Morris is most likely to continue. Hardest to replace IMO. But we'll see.

Eastdog
21-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Yes it is an interesting question. Out of the 3 MBoyd probably looks the most likely to finish up first. Bob and Dale I still think are very important but best to see at the end of the year how all 3 are going.

Bullies
21-05-2017, 05:49 PM
I have seen it time and time again, players playing well in their mid 30s and bang a brick wall. I would rather do a North and pick a fresh batch of kids or a marque player from another club. To me the risk is too high to play 36 year olds next year.

Agree 100% with this statement. The end comes very quick. Club has to make the hard call no matter who the player. 35 is a good innings.

bornadog
21-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Agree 100% with this statement. The end comes very quick. Club has to make the hard call no matter who the player. 35 is a good innings.

Yep, it is a hard call. I remember many on this board criticising the club in the past for holding on to our champions too long.

I am not saying these guys are no good, I think they are all still best 22, however, we should not be risking three spots on the list for three 36 year olds in 2018. We have to think about the future years.

GVGjr
21-05-2017, 06:48 PM

What is the risk if at the end of the season if Murphy and Morris are in our best 15 players based on performance?
Sure players of that age can slow down quickly but we take risks on players all the time and you do need a balance of experience.

bornadog
21-05-2017, 06:52 PM
What is the risk if at the end of the season if Murphy and Morris are in our best 15 players based on performance?
Sure players of that age can slow down quickly but we take risks on players all the time and you do need a balance of experience.

Biological risk

bulldogtragic
21-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Yep, it is a hard call. I remember many on this board criticising the club in the past for holding on to our champions too long.

I am not saying these guys are no good, I think they are all still best 22, however, we should not be risking three spots on the list for three 36 year olds in 2018. We have to think about the future years.

You & I will take matters into our own hands again. So same again, at training, you distract the security guard with a low cut top and I I'll commander the golf buggy. Easy.

mjp
21-05-2017, 10:47 PM
What does baffled mean?

A couple of weeks ago against the Giants, Greene was tearing us apart and Murphy had to go back and settle him down (which he did). That same game, he was the ONLY player who recognised both the state of the game AND showed an understanding of what to do - run the lines with the footy (which he did under immense pressure) and hit a target inside 50.

When he was out of the side vs West Coast, we are +20 for i50's but all we could do late in a close game is bomb the ball forward to - well, I would say no-one but since McGovern, Barrass and Yeo marked every kick let's say them.

Again on Friday, sure, Hawkins ran him down but 'dems the breaks...if you understand the need to run and break a line to kick through a press then you are going to get run down from time-to-time. Plus, he actually kicked it. And showed good humour about it after the game rather than blaming umpires. And despite laughing it off, how a key forward (who has elite 20m speed) is cruising around putting on pressure in a crowded defensive zone without someone sticking an elbow in his chest is a question for the rest of the group.

I wouldn't be retiring these guys if they want to keep going. And if they are playing the same standard of footy in 2018, they will be pretty darn handy...suggesting that Williams, Webb, Dale, Roberts et al are ready to step in now is fanciful...those guys can do it for 15 minutes at a time but the season is a grind and I don't have faith from contest to contest, let alone from game to game right at the moment.

Players are a long time retired...

1eyedog
21-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Baffled from Highlander?

Rocco Jones
21-05-2017, 10:56 PM
I really don't get the Bob retirement calls. He is playing really well. Why not just retire anyone over 30 then?

GVGjr
21-05-2017, 11:28 PM
I really don't get the Bob retirement calls. He is playing really well. Why not just retire anyone over 30 then?

I don't get it, some people are way to quick to write players off looking closer at their birth certificate than their displayed form. Matthew Boyd has struggled, Murphy has been good and and Morris injured. At the moment it's only Boyd who has a question mark against his name and it really comes down to how the MC manages it.

There is no hurry to make a call yet

The bulldog tragician
21-05-2017, 11:41 PM
M Boyd has not had ideal preparation. The injury to his ear which led to him wearing a helmet was likened to a dog bite - nasty. And he suffered a really awful sickening knee to the head in the Richmond match. I was amazed that he returned to the field. It might well be that age is indeed catching up with MBoyd and this should be his last year but given his career and his great year in 2016 - right now we should also take into account that there are other factors affecting his form.

It's true that it is so hard to call time on champions. I hate the prospect. Yet more motivation to win the 2017 flag so the three warriors can go out their own way.

Bullies
22-05-2017, 08:35 AM

The call North has made is not looking too bad. Some of those guys would not be playing if Harvey & co were still around. You also run the risk of losing players you have brought through the system because of lack of opportunities. Sometimes a hard call needs to be made. Not many retire on their own terms as where would they get $300 - $400k in their next job.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I think it's too early to call, but there are certainly signs that the end is coming for Murph. However, we don't need him to be a top 5 player anymore and he hasn't lost his agility. His skill level is slightly down, but the same can be said for 90% of the team.

Happy to wait on Murph, happy to wait on Morris.

Boyd looks done to me and I'd rather we develop Williams.

JohnGentStand
29-05-2017, 07:48 PM
None of them are 'done' yet and all should be judged at the end of the season.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 08:02 PM
None of them are 'done' yet and all should be judged at the end of the season.
Yes agree none are done yet, the question I pose is do we take a risk on 3 spots for 3 x 36 year olds ( next year)

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-05-2017, 08:23 PM
This will be a very difficult call for Bevo.
All three have been wonderful servants of our Club over a long period of time. Given their longevity with the break neck speed of today's game injuries are beginning to catch up with all three. We are well off for defenders given the now 3 year contract extension for Adams who together with Wood JJ Roberts Cordy Biggs and Williams does provide us with depth. Murphy has shown before his weekend injury that he does have the flexibility to go forward and play well plus he has proven to be a fine leader. Morris has probably been the best defender I have seen at our Club over the past 20 years or more. He is never beaten. Matthew Boyd has turned his game around since moving to defence and is a multiple B & F winner. Better to wait in my opinion until season's end before jumping to any conclusions.

josie
29-05-2017, 08:29 PM
If Morris is still playing at the level he is now I think he and the club will want him to play on.

I'm guessing both Murphy and Boyd will retire.

Should Murphy maintain the form he has shown this year or maybe x fingers improve (since his return I think understandably he has lost some of his pace and as a consequence is a bit more rushed with his disposal leading to a few more errors) he might go on, however if he does I think he should pass captaincy onto Wood next year.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Murphy's body is wrecked. It's held together by duct tape and cable ties. I can't see him getting up for another season. This will be it I reckon.

strebla
30-05-2017, 01:07 AM
Sadly I think Boyd is done Murphy is the most interesting in my mind. Physically I think he can continue but he has two young kids and needs to think of the damage he has done the last couple of years to an ageing body. Morris I think will continue but wouldn't blame him if he hung em up to.

merantau
30-05-2017, 02:03 AM
Old Father Time catches up with all of us eventually but it's too early to make the call on these three remarkable players. My wish is that a Flag win will make the decision for us. What a way to go out! GO DOGS!

Jam Donuts
30-05-2017, 11:24 AM
We should not forget Roarke Smith if he can get back after the cruel injury he has showed some promise and could be a handy replacement.

craigsahibee
30-05-2017, 11:58 AM
That 6 month gap between the last game of 2017 and the first game of 2018 can seem like 16 months for anyone over the age of 30, let alone 36 year olds.

Matty Boyd has been one of our greats of all time, but I feel that he will read the tea leaves and call time at some stage during the year.

Dale will bravely hold on, as Dale does, but will probably need to be tapped on the shoulder at the end of the year.

I'm happy to wait to see how Bob finishes the year, specifically how he recovers from this hamstring. Depending on the progress of Williams and others while he is out of the side, there may be a role for Bob up forward in the back half of the year. If he can play that role and not hinder the development of the likes of Williams, Webb, Dale etc, I'm happy for the club to keep him on the list for one more year. Having said all that, if we go back to back and Bob's an integral part of it, that'll be it.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2017, 12:02 PM
All three are out or have been out with injuries this year. Thats usually a sign of time catching up with players. You'd hope for their aspirations for playing finals (especially) or playing on in 2018 that there's no more injuries.

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 12:22 PM
There's a long way to go this year. At this stage, I reckon Boyd is more likely to be playing his last year than not, whereas Morris is more likely to go on. I was thinking Bob had another one left in him prior to this last injury, if he can return in similar form to early year I can see him going on again.

In terms of list progression, I don't think it's ideal for all 3 to go at once, even though we do have strong leaders amongst the 20somethings. I'd like to see something like Boyd 2016; Bob 2016 or 2017; Morris 2017 or 2018.

Mofra
30-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Murphy's body is wrecked. It's held together by duct tape and cable ties. I can't see him getting up for another season. This will be it I reckon.
Yep - getting an arthroscopy while his hamstring recovers now. Struggling

always right
30-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Not too concerned about Morris but fear for Murph and Boydy. Once you start getting soft tissue injuries at this stage of your career........

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Morris played 100% TOG on the weekend. He will go around another year.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Not too concerned about Morris but fear for Murph and Boydy. Once you start getting soft tissue injuries at this stage of your career........

That's where I think it's at. So long as injuries don't creep into Morris' body, like tears and strains, he can play with broken legs and backs. So we just needs his muscles and tendons to stay strong.

Boyd is cooked (I'd love to be proven wrong) and as others have said above, the medico's are full time managing Bob's body with knee issues and a hamstring strain (and he's had a week off against WCE to freshen up too). The moderate severity of the hammy in consideration of the very innocuous way he did it, indicates to me (with no training or expertise mind you) that his aging body is final period of being able to cope with the hell an AFL player has to put their body through.

So right now, I'd say Boyd is retiring at the end of the year, Murphy is more likely than not to retire and Morris is more likely than not to go again. Luckily we are flush for HBFs so we can cover them with players already on the list.

comrade
30-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Morris can play until he's 40 as far as I'm concerned. Just roll him out for finals.

Boyd is hanging onto the edge of the cliff and Murph's ageing body (haha, he's only 4 years older than me) is clearly struggling to cope with the demands of the game.

Boyd and Murph to finish up, with Boyd helping our young guys at Footscray by the end of the season and Murphy winning a fairy tale flag. Morris to continue to dominate for another couple of years.

Remi Moses
30-05-2017, 09:08 PM
I think if Bob's hammy goes again he'll finish up at the end of the year .
Reckon Morris (fingers crossed, and toes) can go another 12 months . Bit to play out though .
M. Boyd will be the most likely of the three to go

KT31
30-05-2017, 11:52 PM
I think if Bob's hammy goes again he'll finish up at the end of the year .
Reckon Morris (fingers crossed, and toes) can go another 12 months . Bit to play out though .
M. Boyd will be the most likely of the three to go

Agree 100% Remi.

bornadog
16-07-2017, 11:39 PM
How is the assessment now? Do we want to give a contract to any of the three players turning 36 next year?

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 11:42 PM
If we land Lever, then I'm no for all 3. If we don't land a mature KPD then Morris may be depth.

The kids are ok.

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 11:44 PM
How is the assessment now? Do we want to give a contract to any of the three players turning 36 next year?

Forget the age, it's the form that counts.

SonofScray
16-07-2017, 11:44 PM

Morris the only one. But I am seeing enough bits in his game that suggest the time is just about right to hang them up too. We are so light on for a replacement for him though, so he should get the benefit of the doubt, if there is any. He has been an incredible player for us and regardless of output, his effort has not dropped an inch since debut.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Forget the age, it's the form that counts.

Age has a lot to do with it. Players hit a wall at a certain age (everyone is different) and what I am saying is do we want to take the risk and deny other players a spot in the team or are you happy to give contracts to players hitting 36? There is a reason why no one else is playing at that age in the whole AFL. Murphy is the oldest player.

All three players are starting to look old, although I think Murphy is still not too bad. Played a shocker today but hasn't played much for the past 6 weeks.

GVGjr
17-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Age has a lot to do with it. Players hit a wall at a certain age (everyone is different) and what I am saying is do we want to take the risk and deny other players a spot in the team or are you happy to give contracts to players hitting 36? There is a reason why no one else is playing at that age in the whole AFL. Murphy is the oldest player.

All three players are starting to look old, although I think Murphy is still not too bad. Played a shocker today but hasn't played much for the past 6 weeks.

Players have been injured and have probably been working through that. Rather than quoting their age again and again just look at their displayed form and by the end of the season make an informed decision.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Moyd is gone you'd have to say.
Murphy I'd be leaning to being gone, he still does some good things but is having little impact.
Morris probably 50/50 for me.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Still think all 3 are gone.

Morris I give some hope to after yesterday - the next few weeks will be telling - but as noted above we may need him to go on purely due to light coverage.

Boyd has been a great warrior but it's time.

Murphy forever a club legend, but it's certainly time.

always right
17-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Morris I give some hope to after yesterday - the next few weeks will be telling - but as noted above we may need him to go on purely due to light coverage.

Morris was much better yesterday but we played a pretty poor side to be fair.

soupman
17-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Boyd is done. His form isn't god enough and his spot has multiple players lining up to take it.

Murphy is declining and considering he is currently playing only every secon week due to injury I would suggest he is done. Harder to replace but there are prospects that have similar attributes.

Morris could potentially play on, although he is declining. Not sure we have a readymade replacement but we are going to have to do it sooner rathe rthan later and I don't want to see him dropped, which I think would happen at some point next year.

boydogs
17-07-2017, 10:15 PM
The thing with their age is continuity - recovering from week to week gets harder and harder, you're carrying sore spots into games and getting injured pretty easily. Then you can't train at 100% whilst injured and it takes a while to build your strength and fitness back up again

Their best is still good enough, but you have to question how often we would see it beyond 2017 for all 3

Bullies
18-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Agreed. The end comes quickly and the game is just too quick no matter who you are. No one wants to retire and if the players don't make the decision then the club needs to. If they play on we will only be saying the same in 12 months time. The time is right. You would be surprised out of the young guys who steps up when they get responsibility.

lemmon
18-07-2017, 01:24 PM
I think time's come for all 3. M Boyd is outside the best 22 at the moment, I'd say Murph is as well based on what he's bringing to the table.

Morris is hanging on with nous and all the old tricks of a defensive veteran but I think that little athletic edge he had is fading. He always had that unexpected little burst of speed or vertical leap that helped him go with the best forwards.

We've got the replacements for Murph and Boyd, Morris will be tougher but I think Collins has put together a pretty decent season and is next to be called upon.

Cyberdoggie
18-07-2017, 01:36 PM
I thought Murphy's demeanour looked quite down on the weekend, like he was playing injured and he knew it wasn't going to be positive for him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he misses again this week, whether that is resting or for injury I don't know but I doubt he'll fly up to cairns.
I think Boyd and Murphy will not play next year at this rate, Morris is playing most games and is still a key member of that defence. If he's up for it I think he'll go again.

Twodogs
18-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I thought Murphy's demeanour looked quite down on the weekend, like he was playing injured and he knew it wasn't going to be positive for him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he misses again this week, whether that is resting or for injury I don't know but I doubt he'll fly up to cairns.
I think Boyd and Murphy will not play next year at this rate, Morris is playing most games and is still a key member of that defence. If he's up for it I think he'll go again.

Murph has looked a bit , I don't know, askance or even upset over the last few weeks. He looked particularly apprehensive sitting in the box before a game a few weeks ago, he was fidgety and even a little grim and annoyed looking-very un-Bob Murphy like. I guess he was missing the game through injury and the boys were about to run out so he would be feeling it right then and there.

The bulldog tragician
18-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Murph has looked a bit , I don't know, askance or even upset over the last few weeks. He looked particularly apprehensive sitting in the box before a game a few weeks ago, he was fidgety and even a little grim and annoyed looking-very un-Bob Murphy like. I guess he was missing the game through injury and the boys were about to run out so he would be feeling it right then and there.

I totally agree. He hasn't looked as though he's enjoyed this year at all. He's lost that twinkle in the eye. Maybe he's been surprised at how difficult it's been, mentally and physically to come back. I think we all underestimated it - I just had this rosy image of him slotting back in, the same old Bob, making our premiership team even stronger.

ledge
18-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Bevo presser today bought up M Boyd and Murphy being two they needed to discuss their future , from that I gather Morris will still be around next year.
M boyd I could see going again but it's his achillies and we all know what that did to Johnno in his final year.
Both are struggling with niggling injuries this year which is not a good sign.
Would be brilliant if we could keep them playing at Footscray though and teaching the kids the game.
Wonder if either would be looked at in coaching roles. I'm not sure our mid coach and forward coach are working together and getting it right. Could either of them come in and take over ?

Twodogs
18-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Bevo presser today bought up M Boyd and Murphy being two they needed to discuss their future , from that I gather Morris will still be around next year.
M boyd I could see going again but it's his achillies and we all know what that did to Johnno in his final year.
Both are struggling with niggling injuries this year which is not a good sign.
Would be brilliant if we could keep them playing at Footscray though and teaching the kids the game.
Wonder if either would be looked at in coaching roles. I'm not sure our mid coach and forward coach are working together and getting it right. Could either of them come in and take over ?

I reckon Keithy has been a bit ordinary. Can't see him playing again.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2017, 10:37 PM
I reckon Keithy has been a bit ordinary. Can't see him playing again.

Yep. That old saying something about 'retire while people want to stay', which would've been great last year on his own terms on the highest peak. Now it's not his call, or even a close call.

Twodogs
19-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Yep. That old saying something about 'retire while people want to stay', which would've been great last year on his own terms on the highest peak. Now it's not his call, or even a close call.

List spots are really valuable. We can't be handing them out on sentimentality.

Doc26
19-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Good thing is that there is still another 6 plus weeks to gauge where we're at.

Dale I believe should go again. He offers great experience for what will still be a largely undeveloped backline, as attested by Lewis Young in his post match praise of Moz, whilst also offering a hardened big body back up for 2018. For me, somewhat of a no brainer and may also be how Bevo is thinking given that I've only really heard him reference 'talks with Bob and Matthew will continue'. He's also expressed a desire to keep going.

Bob and Matthew are a bit more expendable assuming Moz stays on for what he can fill in leadership and experience.

I'm not convinced as yet that either Bob and Matthew should be seen as givens to depart but reasonable to assume that at least one of the two will need to be moved to effectively maintain our list. What is working against both right now are soft tissue injuries. If these type of injuries continue for the remainder of the season unfortunately the decision will be made more simple.

westdog54
19-07-2017, 11:02 PM
I think Murphy is joining M Boyd in the 'No' Column for next year.

As hard-working as Morris is, and as much as he's still defending well, there's this niggling doubt inside me about whether he should go on in 2018.

It kills me to say it, especially after his courage in September, but I think the drop-off, when it comes, will be catastrophic for Dale, that is, he'll drop off very suddenly and very sharply.

And the last thing a champion like Dale Morris deserves is an undignified send-off.

It killed me that Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave's departures from the club came not in the form of a farewell game, but being applauded off the track after their last training session. Even Simon Garlick and Matthew Croft weren't meant to get farewell games.

There would be no more fitting picture at the end of our season (whenever that happens to be), than for all three to be carried off the field together, whether they play together in our last game or not.

jeemak
20-07-2017, 01:43 PM
If we're not chance of making finals come round 23, then yes, a farewell game is in order for those fit enough to play.

If we're playing finals then farewell games as a gesture become irrelevant.

Sedat
20-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Good thing is that there is still another 6 plus weeks to gauge where we're at.

Dale I believe should go again. He offers great experience for what will still be a largely undeveloped backline, as attested by Lewis Young in his post match praise of Moz, whilst also offering a hardened big body back up for 2018. For me, somewhat of a no brainer and may also be how Bevo is thinking given that I've only really heard him reference 'talks with Bob and Matthew will continue'. He's also expressed a desire to keep going.

Bob and Matthew are a bit more expendable assuming Moz stays on for what he can fill in leadership and experience.

I'm not convinced as yet that either Bob and Matthew should be seen as givens to depart but reasonable to assume that at least one of the two will need to be moved to effectively maintain our list. What is working against both right now are soft tissue injuries. If these type of injuries continue for the remainder of the season unfortunately the decision will be made more simple.
The thing with Morris is that he debuted as a 22yo so he has less miles on the clock. He's had his fair share of injuries but they have been impact-based because of his crazy bravery - hasn't had many soft tissue injuries from memory. I'd be giving him another 12 months.

Happy to review Bob and Boydy at the end of our season. Reckon Boydy is up against it based on form and injuries. Bob has been in perfectly decent form but the soft tissue injuries have been adding up.

1eyedog
20-07-2017, 07:43 PM
I think we need a bit of a refresh in the assistant coach department. I'd be looking at moving one of Gia, Hansen or King on and offering Bob a spot. I like Joel Corey and think he has a wonderful relationship with the players. Bubba stays as well.

Remi Moses
20-07-2017, 07:53 PM
The thing with Morris is that he debuted as a 22yo so he has less miles on the clock. He's had his fair share of injuries but they have been impact-based because of his crazy bravery - hasn't had many soft tissue injuries from memory. I'd be giving him another 12 months.

Happy to review Bob and Boydy at the end of our season. Reckon Boydy is up against it based on form and injuries. Bob has been in perfectly decent form but the soft tissue injuries have been adding up.

About right . Just see Dale as the only one to keep going .

bornadog
20-07-2017, 08:23 PM
About right . Just see Dale as the only one to keep going .

I can already see that Dale is not what he use to be. Time is catching up and he is playing like an old man. Still does some great things as he is experienced, and is helping mentor guys like Young but at the same time I have seen him cost us a few goals over the past few weeks. Something he never did in the past. I hate to see these guys leave but we need to make the hard call.

I would like a refresh next year with 3 new players coming in to replace Bob, Matt and Dale.

Raw Toast
20-07-2017, 08:38 PM
I've generally thought that Murphy wouldn't want to play on next year, but if he does, I'm in no hurry to move him on. He's been close to our best player in a number of games, can make our forward line seem functional (which few others can do), and is still a pretty vital leader in my opinion.

Yes he's had a couple of injuries of late and was not great in his return last week, but I see those as possibly related to coming back from the knee injury.

We'll have the second youngest list in the comp next year if these three retire. Matthew Boyd has clearly been struggling, and our reliance on Morris has meant that we might have played him when he was better rested, but he's still a vital presence down back.

If we think this team can contend next year then there is no need in my opinion to rush the loss of our oldest players. We only have 3 of them, are still incredibly young. Extra youths are less likely to contribute than Morris or Murphy, so unless you think they are tying up money which could otherwise bring in free agents (and I don't), then I'm happy to risk having them stay on a year too long.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2017, 08:53 PM
I'll present a dissenting view on Moz.
I'm not sure we can afford to lose almost 800 games experience out of our back half in one bite.
Boyd and Murphy are getting more soft tissue injuries and may not have the ability to navigate another season.
Moz has had his body issues too, but not soft tissue and i think he can play a transitional role next year in guiding the development of our inexperienced key defenders.

Adams has had significant foot injuries that may or may not hold up and Collins would benefit from the sort of guidance Moz could provide. Roberts too for that matter.

Of the 3 old guys Moz is the only one to really pronounce a real desire to play on next year, so the mental fire is still there.

Let's also not discount the impact his back had over the summer and also his fractured leg earlier this year on his performances. He missed a fair chunk and yet came straight back into the team. Maybe with other options to draw on we could've eased him back this year via VFL first. That we didn't, probably says how highly he is still rated by the coaches.

This I think could explain his dip in form as opposed to be not up to it any more.

Knowing how selfless and team oriented Moz has been his whole career, I think he would be the first to call it a day if he felt he was either not up to it anymore or if he felt he was holding up another player.

Collins or Young are not yet ready to play 22 games and neither Roberts or Adams have shown they are up to the rigours of a full season either through form or fitness. Therefore I think there is a case for Moz to play a role, possibly a diminished one, if others earn a chance.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Would recruiting Lever effectively force Morris out? I can't imagine that the list is balanced with Lever, Adams, Cordy, Roberts, Collins, Young, Wood & Morris.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Would recruiting Lever effectively force Morris out? I can't imagine that the list is balanced with Lever, Adams, Cordy, Roberts, Collins, Young, Wood & Morris.

Possibly. A couple of variables there.
1. Maybe we don't land Lever.

2. Even if we do Bevo might like the extra coverage it provides to maybe play Adams and or Cordy in other roles up forward. We know Bevo likes the option to provide versatility on the ground.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 09:25 PM

Love the idea of getting Lever, and would add to our list, but not at the expense of grabbing an elite mid to work alongside Marcus.

My fear is that The Bont will burn out with so much attention directed his way by opposition mids / blockers, not to mention being at a competitive disadvantage in the critical midfield area if heaven forbid he was to break down. I thought we barely contemplate.

We need insurance for Marcus and for the effective running of our midfield given the potential for another below par season by Tom. Most of the top performing teams are running a number of elite level mids through their midfield e.g Danger/Selwood/Gazza(2018) Kennedy/Hannebery/Parker/Heeney etc Hawthorn have topped up wth Mitchell and O'Meara (although not working currently).

Kelly of course is the most obvious to address this need but will no doubt come at a huge cost given his value for all.

Who are the other Kelly's out there that will force the opposition to pay attention to, to give Marcus a chop out? Rockliff's name has been mentioned but not really at this level, and a no for me unless for chips.

My hope is that we've got something up ours sleeves with an elite level midfielder as our highest priority.

Twodogs
20-07-2017, 09:57 PM
They are pretty rare at the level you'd stop putting all your time into stopping the Bont to concentrate on somebody else. Maybe an older guy from another club who wants a crack at a flag.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 10:05 PM
They are pretty rare at the level you'd stop putting all your time into stopping the Bont to concentrate on somebody else. Maybe an older guy from another club who wants a crack at a flag.

It's why guys like Dusty and Kelly are demanding so much in the market whilst others are backing in the future with offers for types like Jacob Hopper. Tom Mitchell was astute by the Hawks last season but it did cost them. Love to pry Cunnington from North or Seb Ross from the Saints but both are contracted unfortunately.

jeemak
20-07-2017, 10:30 PM
How can we expect to land a Tom Rockliff standard player for chips? He's an excellent footballer and Brisbane would need to be compensated well for his services which they would be via free agent compensation.

But, we'd have to pay a very good salary to him.

Check out his numbers compared to Shaun Burgoyne at the same age:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=A&tid2=11&type=A&pid1=3184&pid2=119&fid1=O&fid2=O

What would we pay to get half the value out of Rockliff that Hawthorn got out of Burgoyne?

bulldogtragic
20-07-2017, 10:42 PM
How can we expect to land a Tom Rockliff standard player for chips? He's an excellent footballer and Brisbane would need to be compensated well for his services.

Yep. The club who gets him need to look at Hawthorn & Vickery last year. The contract determines the compo, so if say the same as the James Frawley offer was made (4 years at $600,000 or more), Brisbane get pick 2 FA compo. They can't really say no to that compo in a proper rebuild (picks 1, 2 & Callenden from their academy as a first rounder too). Is Brisbane's best midfielder and top 5-20 in key stats across the comp worth that kind of offer? I say yes.

Generally on looking after Bont, WCE mids looked after Judd incredibly well. Guys sacrificed their games to block for him, and kits that would be meant for him. If we are not doing enough around the contest for him, well, that's a thread in itself.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 10:44 PM
How can we expect to land a Tom Rockliff standard player for chips? He's an excellent footballer and Brisbane would need to be compensated well for his services which they would be via free agent compensation.

But, we'd have to pay a good salary.

No I wouldn't expect that we would get him for chips but based on our need I don't see him worth more than that for US.

He can no doubt play and offers flexibility in that he can go forward or back but I don't see him as an elite destructive type midfielder, more an accumulator who for mine too often seems to play on his own terms. Closer to B grader these days.

By all accounts he was very gettable last season but with no interest - this year the difference seems to be that he simply would cost far less in terms of a trade.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Generally on looking after Bont, WCE mids looked after Judd incredibly well. Guys sacrificed their games to block for him, and kits that would be meant for him. If we are not doing enough around the contest for him, well, that's a thread in itself.

If you equate Judd with Marcus, who do you equate Cox, Cousins and Kerr with in our best midfield? This to me highlights the type of gap that I'm trying to convey.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2017, 11:15 PM
If you equate Judd with Marcus, who do you equate Cox, Cousins and Kerr with in our best midfield? This to me highlights the type of gap that I'm trying to convey.

We don't have a Cox type likely any time soon. Or maybe Bonts is our Cox ruckman... I'd hope Jong can get back to form and be a big body, blocking and protecting. Realistically, we might need to trade out some talented but limited midfielders to do that unless they come via free agency.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 11:23 PM
We don't have a Cox type likely any time soon. Or maybe Bonts is our Cox ruckman... I'd hope Jong can get back to form and be a big body, blocking and protecting. Realistically, we might need to trade out some talented but limited midfielders to do that unless they come via free agency.

At best Lin might aim to be our Andrew Embley from that star studded Eagles line up. Would be a great achievement if he could rise to this height.

jeemak
20-07-2017, 11:59 PM
No I wouldn't expect that we would get him for chips but based on our need I don't see him worth more than that for US.

He can no doubt play and offers flexibility in that he can go forward or back but I don't see him as an elite destructive type midfielder, more an accumulator who for mine too often seems to play on his own terms. Closer to B grader these days.

By all accounts he was very gettable last season but with no interest - this year the difference seems to be that he simply would cost far less in terms of a trade.

I'm at a disadvantage as I've not seen a huge amount of opposition team's footy this year, and Brisvegas gets very little exposure on FTA however, his numbers are excellent and seem to put him into A-Grade category.

My preference would be to land the best un-contracted player around, the likelihood of doing so is slim unfortunately meaning we have to look at other ways of improving our list.

Picking up an all australian and multiple best and fairest winner at 27 years of age is something we should look at doing.

always right
21-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Rockliff's stats are obviously pretty good but I think he has limited hurt factor. Might explain why you often see taggers going to Zorko but never to Rockliff.

Doc26
21-07-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm at a disadvantage as I've not seen a huge amount of opposition team's footy this year, and Brisvegas gets very little exposure on FTA however, his numbers are excellent and seem to put him into A-Grade category.

My preference would be to land the best un-contracted player around, the likelihood of doing so is slim unfortunately meaning we have to look at other ways of improving our list.

Picking up an all australian and multiple best and fairest winner at 27 years of age is something we should look at doing.

His first half of the season was very solid. Looking at him during the second half of the season a different story. Maybe he's playing hurt.

Not sure on picking up a player because they might've once been an All Australian, nor being a B&F winner at the Lions through such a lull but nonetheless he is a very good player and no doubt would also bring leadership qualities.

I guess I see that we do have a number of very good midfielders, or developing midfielders, and to take Rockliff will demand a skewed portion of our TPP. I would just prefer us to hopefully set our sights a bit higher, if available, for higher end quality midfield line breakers.

jeemak
21-07-2017, 12:44 AM
I see your point. But, I'd pay a few extra $100K's a year to have Rockliff getting the ball 25 times a game over Jong doing so, but I'm biased towards players who can use the ball. My using his credentials or accolades was only to demonstrate past quality and that it was high. If he was one legged and playing poorly now then past achievements wouldn't be a consideration.

I'm not 100% certain we won't see a bit of a shake up with some players who are regular fixtures in the side leaving the club at the end of the year. Perhaps we might have some space for him.

boydogs
21-07-2017, 12:53 AM
Who are the other Kelly's out there that will force the opposition to pay attention to, to give Marcus a chop out?

Jack Steven is the type of player we need, line breaking mid. Pendlebury is up there with Bonts and may want out of Collingwood who seem to get worse every year

He can no doubt play and offers flexibility in that he can go forward or back but I don't see him as an elite destructive type midfielder, more an accumulator who for mine too often seems to play on his own terms. Closer to B grader these days

They play him as an outside mid or forward, he's an on-baller. As I said earlier, horrendously mismanaged. Brisbane are like we were under McCartney, and look what Bevo was able to do with a worse list with some belief, gameplan and positional changes

Cox = English
Cousins = Macrae
Kerr = Dahlhaus

We don't have a Cox type likely any time soon

English?

bulldogtragic
21-07-2017, 09:33 AM
^^^

Maybe longer term. I'm primarily thinking of the size and imposing physical presence Cox had and ability to offer a chop out to help Judd. English will be a gun, but right now we don't have that presence and we are rucking Bonts. I'm pretty sure Judd didn't ruck back in the WCE hay day.

chef
22-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Maybe thats the last time we see Morris. Gee i hope not.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Maybe thats the last time we see Morris. Gee i hope not.

I really hate seeing him injured. I love him to death, but seeing him suffer injury and serious pain is hard to watch. He owes this club and members nothing, and if it's a broken arm I'd prefer to see him retire. I was talking to an ex-league footballer last year and we were going over all his problems post footy, who didn't play nearly as much as Dale. I'd genuinely prefer his family and ability to play with his kids to be the priority. The club will make it work, or maybe it's me, but watching the second potentially serious injury for the year after his spine repairing has made me feel physically unwell.

bornadog
22-07-2017, 07:35 PM
I really hate seeing him injured. I love him to death, but seeing him suffer injury and serious pain is hard to watch. He owes this club and members nothing, and if it's a broken arm I'd prefer to see him retire. I was talking to an ex-league footballer last year and we were going over all his problems post footy, who didn't play nearly as much as Dale. I'd genuinely prefer his family and ability to play with his kids to be the priority. The club will make it work, or maybe it's me, but watching the second potentially serious injury for the year after his spine repairing has made me feel physically unwell.

I have said it hundred times, we play the guy on the talls and he has to put his body on the line and in the end it gets you. I hope he doesn't go out like this.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Broken both bones in his forearm.

*!*!*!*!.

Doc26
22-07-2017, 08:52 PM
I have said it hundred times, we play the guy on the talls and he has to put his body on the line and in the end it gets you. I hope he doesn't go out like this.

Agree not to mention that he's also slowed up which leads to him being in unbalanced positions too often than not.
I don't view it as a freak accident but more one waiting to happen unfortunately.

Remi Moses
22-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Bloody awful news :mad:
What a superb selfless individual Dale Morris has been for our club .

bornadog
22-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Bloody awful news :mad:
What a superb selfless individual Dale Morris has been for our club .

One of the best defenders ever.

SlimPickens
22-07-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm backing Morris to go again. *!*!*!*!i it the bloke played in a premiership with a broken back. Murph and Moyd are done.

boydogs
23-07-2017, 12:12 AM

Agree not to mention that he's also slowed up which leads to him being in unbalanced positions too often than not.
I don't view it as a freak accident but more one waiting to happen unfortunately.

We played Cordy & Young on Lynch & Wright. Players move around, rest on the bench and create mismatches though. Caleb Daniel is outsized by 20cm in marking contests every week but doesn't hurt himself. Just unfortunate, sad if that's the end for him

Doc26
23-07-2017, 12:27 AM
We played Cordy & Young on Lynch & Wright. Players move around, rest on the bench and create mismatches though. Caleb Daniel is outsized by 20cm in marking contests every week but doesn't hurt himself. Just unfortunate, sad if that's the end for him

Yes but different story in Dale's case when you're mismatched with height coupled with the effects of age up against you i.e agility, mobility, reaction time etc no longer as it once was.

always right
23-07-2017, 12:42 AM
Yes but different story in Dale's case when you're mismatched with height coupled with the effects of age up against you i.e agility, mobility, reaction time etc no longer as it once was.

The nature of his injury tonight meant that it could have occurred in virtually any contest where he fell heavily. It could have happened if his opponent was Touk Miller instead of Tom Lynch.

always right
23-07-2017, 12:43 AM
One of the best defenders ever.

In my view....THE best Bulldogs defender and one of the best AFL defenders.

LostDoggy
23-07-2017, 09:34 AM
You just have to look at the contest in isolation. It's classic Dale Morris. He was completely out of position as the kick was brilliant to Lynch's advantage. Any normal player would have given up and conceded the mark. Not Dale Morris. He somehow got a hand to the ball. Absolute champion.

Saw Chris Grant following the ambulance on the way out of the ground and he looked distressed.

Scorlibo
23-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately for Dale his form this year has been very poor. There's no way he can be offered another contract for next year, especially with Cordy and Young coming on this year.

Murph played maybe the worst game he's played in 5 years. Still think he can turn it around enough to contribute this year but probably not enough to earn the right to play again next year.

Matty Boyd in a similar situation to Murph.

It will be a big challenge for the likes of Wallis, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Wood, Bont and Libba to take over the leadership reigns next year.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm a bit different to most when it comes to veterans and AFL list management. In AFL culture we seem to want to retire any veteran who isn't near their best. For mine, I am a bit more American Sports model when it comes to a team with short term aspirations (we are surely in this category). I think if a player is happy to play for a low-ish salary, can improve the 22 and happy to be potentially playing VFL if he is struggling, he plays. My benchmark is how they end the year. If they aren't best 22, then sadly they have to go of course.

Looking at the trio...
Matt Boyd- he doesn't look best 22, just a depth player. For mine he isn't an example of going one year too long as he has added depth to our team. He is done.

Dale Morris- Tougher call. If Adams was fit, he wouldn't be best 22 but Adams body is super unreliable. He is the definition of a role model and can play on a variety of forwards. I think if we land Lever, he is too far down the pecking order. Also depends on how Collins and/or Roberts finish off the season, if they look first 22 locks, Moz is gone as well.

Bob- really interesting one. He is coming back from a knee. Players at their peak struggle first year back. I still think he is best 22 and leadership is wow.

ledge
23-07-2017, 12:58 PM
I'm a bit different to most when it comes to veterans and AFL list management. In AFL culture we seem to want to retire any veteran who isn't near their best. For mine, I am a bit more American Sports model when it comes to a team with short term aspirations (we are surely in this category). I think if a player is happy to play for a low-ish salary, can improve the 22 and happy to be potentially playing VFL if he is struggling, he plays. My benchmark is how they end the year. If they aren't best 22, then sadly they have to go of course.

Looking at the trio...
Matt Boyd- he doesn't look best 22, just a depth player. For mine he isn't an example of going one year too long as he has added depth to our team. He is done.

Dale Morris- Tougher call. If Adams was fit, he wouldn't be best 22 but Adams body is super unreliable. He is the definition of a role model and can play on a variety of forwards. I think if we land Lever, he is too far down the pecking order. Also depends on how Collins and/or Roberts finish off the season, if they look first 22 locks, Moz is gone as well.

Bob- really interesting one. He is coming back from a knee. Players at their peak struggle first year back. I still think he is best 22 and leadership is wow.

To be honest I don't think leadership is a problem at our club we have multiple leaders who can take that role as proved last year .

Rocco Jones
23-07-2017, 01:58 PM
To be honest I don't think leadership is a problem at our club we have multiple leaders who can take that role as proved last year .

Yeah I don't think it is either however you can never have too many.

anfo27
23-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I'd like to see Moz go again next year. I don't think he's been as bad as what everyone else thinks. He has been a victim of a very poor team defence this year thats exposed our defenders to too many one on one's week after week. Still has something to offer for mine. If we get back to our team defence mentality then all our defenders will look better & Moz will be awesome.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2017, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see Moz go again next year. I don't think he's been as bad as what everyone else thinks. He has been a victim of a very poor team defence this year thats exposed our defenders to too many one on one's week after week. Still has something to offer for mine. If we get back to our team defence mentality then all our defenders will look better & Moz will be awesome.

We judge our veterans compared to great standards they set rather than the 22nd best player benchmark. We elevate our judgements on kids based on potential.

I neglected one factor, needing to turn over at least 3 players. Hamilton and Matty Boyd going means we still have one spot. There's a fair argument to say Crameri and/or Clay Smith look physically less up to it than Morris and/or Bob. Is a banged up body healthier just because it hasn't got 30 something years linked to it?

bornadog
23-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Looking at the trio...

Of the three veterans, I feel Bob is the one that is moving nicely. He still has some pace, and kicks the ball well when he is on. He made a real blunder last night handballing to Williams who was covered by GC, and the ball was turned over and they got an easy goal. That doesn't happen all the time.

I think the thing that has stopped Bob from performing better this year, is the injuries he has had.

It is going to be a tough call by the club if these guys all want to play on.

Twodogs
23-07-2017, 03:41 PM
In my view....THE best Bulldogs defender and one of the best AFL defenders.

Good call. Maybe Peter Foster shades him but Peter Foster was a superstar.

jeemak
23-07-2017, 03:42 PM
In that play Williams didn't offer overlap run boundary side which he should have. It showed a lack of awareness to be honest, and meant that Bob was left with no options after getting in a bind.

Bulldog4life
23-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Fossie could play either end too. I remember on some of those windy days at Whitten Oval he would play one end all day.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2017, 05:57 PM
My attempt of the order of the guys who offer us least going forward
1- Hamilton
2- M.Boyd
3- Morris
4- Bob
5- Clay
6- Honeychurch

Feel like Clay and Honey have enough upside to have turning over at least 3 be a factor in whether we keep Bob or Moz. Maybe Honey or Clay could go onto rookie list though.

ledge
23-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Just mentioned on fox footy , Morris out for 4-6 but wants to go on and the club are keen for him to go on .

ledge
23-07-2017, 07:06 PM
1- Hamilton
2- M.Boyd
3- Morris
4- Bob
5- Clay
6- Honeychurch

Feel like Clay and Honey have enough upside to have turning over at least 3 be a factor in whether we keep Bob or Moz. Maybe Honey or Clay could go onto rookie list though.

Be interesting to see if Crameri is part of our plans next year.

Remi Moses
23-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Bit tough on Morris . Big injury at the start of the year ( missed a lot of footy) . Just got a feeling he'll stay , Bob and M. Boyd go

boydogs
23-07-2017, 08:53 PM
He made a real blunder last night handballing to Williams who was covered by GC, and the ball was turned over and they got an easy goal

If it was Matty Boyd not Williams, he wouldn't have turned it over. Boyd 36 touches in the VFL, Williams two critical turnovers (that one and a HTB in the pocket) leading to goals. Boyd with his strength, hands and game sense would have gotten the ball away, or maybe he would never have taken possession in the first place

We all love Williams' evasion and foot skills, but he's not a hardened warrior yet

Ozza
23-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Of the three veterans, I feel Bob is the one that is moving nicely. He still has some pace, and kicks the ball well when he is on. He made a real blunder last night handballing to Williams who was covered by GC, and the ball was turned over and they got an easy goal. That doesn't happen all the time.

I think the thing that has stopped Bob from performing better this year, is the injuries he has had.

It is going to be a tough call by the club if these guys all want to play on.

Completing agree with this post. Severe overreactions to Bob making a couple of blues...literally a couple. Has been working through injuries and also playing a variety of roles during the last two weeks. He is only down on 'Bob form', its far from disasterous and him being "cooked" (hate that term being used about players).

I haven't landed on a strong opinion either way on Bob's future, or Dale's - but injuries to both during this season have had an impact.

merantau
23-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Some people have short memories. Wasn't it Bob who really sparked our revival against Brisbane and was also pivotal in our great win against Sydney? I thought his form was pretty good up until his injury. I prefer to wait until the year is over before offering an opinion on their futures. There is still a lot of football to be played.

stefoid
23-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Just mentioned on fox footy , Morris out for 4-6 but wants to go on and the club are keen for him to go on .

Good.

Happy Days
24-07-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm fine with Morris going on. He's gotten himself into the best physical shape of his life, and wasn't as bad as advertised this season. We need his type as well, and re-generating just to re-generate never works anyway.

MrMahatma
24-07-2017, 01:58 PM
1- Hamilton
2- M.Boyd
3- Morris
4- Bob
5- Clay
6- Honeychurch

Didn't Smith sign a 1 year extension earlier this year?

KT31
24-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Didn't Smith sign a 1 year extension earlier this year?

Certainly did.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/bulldogs-forward-clay-smith-signs-oneyear-contract-extension

Topdog
24-07-2017, 03:45 PM
If it was Matty Boyd not Williams, he wouldn't have turned it over. Boyd 36 touches in the VFL, Williams two critical turnovers (that one and a HTB in the pocket) leading to goals. Boyd with his strength, hands and game sense would have gotten the ball away, or maybe he would never have taken possession in the first place

We all love Williams' evasion and foot skills, but he's not a hardened warrior yet

Matthew Boyd not turn it over? Boyd brings plenty but he is a turnover machine at times

boydogs
24-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Matthew Boyd not turn it over? Boyd brings plenty but he is a turnover machine at times

Watch the next two plays from 4:30 of this video and tell me Matty Boyd wouldn't have tapped it on, or gotten more of a handball away

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-07-22/match-highlights-bulldogs-v-gold-coast-rd18

Topdog
24-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Watch the next two plays from 4:30 of this video and tell me Matty Boyd wouldn't have tapped it on, or gotten more of a handball away

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-07-22/match-highlights-bulldogs-v-gold-coast-rd18

How is anyone going to learn to do those things if they don't get experience in playing?

Moyd has consistently shown this year that he is well past his best

hujsh
24-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Unless Moyd has undergone radical surgery to put eyes in the back of his head I'd say he's likely to have turned over one if not both of those.

Very harsh on Williams

bornadog
24-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Unless Moyd has undergone radical surgery to put eyes in the back of his head I'd say he's likely to have turned over one if not both of those.

Very harsh on Williams

Williams is 19 years old compared to 35 years old.

GVGjr
24-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Williams is 19 years old compared to 35 years old.

It's not about age it's about form.

Bulldog Revolution
24-07-2017, 10:38 PM

I like many others loved Fossie, but IMO Morris has him covered because of the longevity of his career, and his efforts in 2016 were truly the stuff of legends

boydogs
24-07-2017, 10:39 PM
How is anyone going to learn to do those things if they don't get experience in playing?

Moyd has consistently shown this year that he is well past his best

Yep, definitely the sort of thing that comes with experience

I brought it up to say you can't just blame Murphy for that goal. His options dried up, Williams probably should have done better with it than he did

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2017, 10:47 PM
IMO Murphy looks worse than both Boyd and Morris and I'm somewhat surprised at how kind posters are being towards him.

Love the guy, but some of his efforts and lack of efforts have been disturbing in the last 2 weeks.

Topdog
25-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Yep, definitely the sort of thing that comes with experience

I brought it up to say you can't just blame Murphy for that goal. His options dried up, Williams probably should have done better with it than he did

That goal was 100% Murphy's fault. If there are really no options kick down the line.

But still he chose to run inwards, he did a terrible handball and then he was a mile away from where he should be to try and get a handball back.

bornadog
26-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Bob misses 'conference call' on retirement (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-26/bob-misses-conference-call-on-retirement?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2017%20-%20Galleries/AFL%20Rd17%20v%20Carlton/531855-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy is yet to decide whether he will play on next year, and will consider how his side is travelling before making a call.

Murphy has played 12 matches this year in his return from a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered early in the 2016 season.
The Dogs are in 10th spot with a 9-8 record, with faint hopes of emulating their flag last year, despite having strung together consecutive wins for the first time since rounds four and five this season.

The 35-year-old missed out on last year's premiership and told Melbourne radio station SEN on Wednesday morning in his classic tongue-in-cheek manner that the retirements of Adelaide midfielder Scott Thompson (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-25/veteran-crows-midfielder-thompson-hangs-up-the-boots) and Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-29/tiger-ruckman-to-walk-away-at-seasons-end)had brought his own future into question.

"I haven't made a decision but if they (the Dogs) needed one, I would hurry up," Murphy said.
"I'm happy just to see how the body goes, see what our situation is.
"It was only this week that, because the season does get away from you, you think, the end of the season is actually coming …

"It's now that all these blokes of my vintage are going, 'I'm not going around (again)', you go, 'Oh God, I wish we'd had a conference call'."

Murphy has been limited this season by injuries to both hamstrings and clean-up surgery on his left knee.

Mofra
26-07-2017, 11:25 AM
That goal was 100% Murphy's fault. If there are really no options kick down the line.

But still he chose to run inwards, he did a terrible handball and then he was a mile away from where he should be to try and get a handball back.
Yep, Williams seemed to cop hospital handballs twice in 5 minutes in Cairns, the first one was Murph's fault.

Axe Man
26-07-2017, 01:06 PM
AFL.com take, I have to agree with most of it:

Stay or go? Your club's over-30s (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-26/stay-or-go-your-clubs-over30s)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

With the premiers' list still one of the youngest in the competition, they have no real reason to push veterans into retirement before their time. While Dale Morris should play on, expect fellow club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd to retire.

Matthew Boyd
The 2016 All Australian, who turns 35 next month, has battled injuries and indifferent form recently, and is likely to retire at season's end. GO

Travis Cloke
It's been a disappointing first season at Whitten Oval for the former Magpie, with form and mental health issues limiting him to just six games. While the 30-year-old is contracted for 2018, he may retire if his form and enjoyment for the game doesn't improve. STAY

Tory Dickson
With injuries wiping out his pre-season and sidelining him until round eight, the goalsneak hasn't been unable to produce consistent form this season. Turning 30 in September, Dickson is contracted for 2018. STAY

Dale Morris
The 34-year-old has a had a wretched run of injuries this season, but the mishaps have occurred through bad luck rather than the gun defender's body failing him. STAY

Robert Murphy
While it's unfortunate the skipper missed out on last year's premiership triumph, this season looms as the 35-year-old's last chance to win a flag as repeated hamstring injuries have interrupted his sound form. GO

Liam Picken
Turning 31 early next month, the versatile playmaker is still a key cog in the Bulldog machine. Contracted until 2019. STAY

chef
26-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Love the guy, but some of his efforts and lack of efforts have been disturbing in the last 2 weeks.

I've noticed hes 'given up' a few times over the last few weeks. Hes just about cooked.

merantau
26-07-2017, 10:40 PM
I still think it's too early to call. The difference between having a good game and an ordinary one sometimes comes down to the bounce of the ball early on and the dumb luck of having a couple of errant opposition kicks land in your lap. Get off to a good start, nail a couple of tackles, go for Arun and bounce, confidence builds and your back in the groove. I'm yet to be convinced that Bob has lost his pace or agility but I'm keeping an open mind.

bornadog
03-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Morris keen to play on if Dogs want him to (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/morris-keen-to-play-on-if-dogs-want-him-to)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/521731-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

VETERAN defender Dale Morris is keen to play on next season if the Western Bulldogs see him as part of their future.

With the 34-year-old touch and go to play again this season after breaking his arm in round 18, Morris could join fellow club greats Robert Murphy and
Matthew Boyd in finishing up at season's end.

While Murphy and Boyd are yet to disclose whether they want to play on, Morris said he'd love extend his career into a 14th season.
"I’ve said all along that if the club want me and there’s a role for me there, then I’ll keep going forever," Morris told Fox Footy on Wednesday night.

"But we’ll have those discussions in due course and work all that out.
"Except for my chalky bones, yes, I feel great."

Broken bones have restricted Morris to just nine games this season, with a fractured leg in round one sidelining him for eight weeks.
With an inability to keep up with the pace of the game usually a sign a veteran's days are numbered, Morris has no concerns as he is still one the of the
Dogs' most dependable servants.

But if the club does decide to go in another direction, the All Australian will be shattered and accepting of the decision at the same time.
"So, if the club turned to me and said, 'that's it', I would be upset, and probably devastated," he said.

"But I understand where things are at, I understand how lucky I am and I’ve been there — I’ve been up the top, we’ve won the premiership and I’ve been a part of a successful club, I’ve been a part of a club that’s not so successful.

"So, it is what it is (and) a lot of this stuff’s out of my control unfortunately — I can’t be out there playing footy but I’ll keep fronting up."

Topdog
03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
What a legend

Remi Moses
03-08-2017, 08:24 PM
I think we'll be all devastated if Dale retires .

ledge
04-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Should be another statue made of Morris tackling Franklin Called "The premiership tackle"

Topdog
07-08-2017, 08:01 PM
MBoyd announcing his retirement according to Mark Stevens

Go_Dogs
07-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Yes - the time is right, but will be sad to see one of our most consistent performers of the past 10 years finish up. Whilst he's polarised at times, he's always been a great clubman and example to our group - the move to half back was brilliant and the fact he earned AA selection last year a testament to his durability and willingness to sacrifice himself for the team.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Highest games played for a rookie ever. Former captain. Huge result from the Frankston VFL ressies.

Remi Moses
07-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Been great . Cops a fair bit of rubbishing, but he's had a heck of a career

bornadog
07-08-2017, 11:02 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGnaNN8UAAAMBw7.jpg

comrade
08-08-2017, 08:02 AM
You can't begrudge Boydy giving it one last crack this year - the will to squeeze out every last bit is in his DNA and made him the player he is - but I still feel he had the perfect opportunity to retire on top of the world at the end of 2016 as a premiership winning All-Australian. 2017 was always going to be difficult for him to hold ground with the return of Murphy and natural development of other players.

Fingers crossed he can help Footscray go all the way and leave a lasting impression on the kids he's playing with down there in terms of footy IQ, mindset, and the ruthless work ethic required to make it at the top level.

Thanks Boydy, you are an absolutely undeniable Bulldogs legend.

merantau
08-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Matthew Boyd is a player who gives his all no matter what. Absolute legend. Thank you for everything you have done for our Club.

Ozza
08-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Being All Australian last season, he had every right to play on this year.

Wonderful career - 3 time All Australian, 3 time best and fairest. Only 8 players in history have had 30 possessions or more in a game more times than Boyd. Won the 'Best Team Player' in our premiership year - which sort of sums up how he went about the tail end of his career once his role changed.

westbulldog
08-08-2017, 11:14 AM
A great and courageous player and clubman who made it from rookie to All Australian, AFL life member and a premiership.
A bulldog through and through. One hopes there is a future role for you at the bulldogs. All the very best, you deserve every accolade.

Topdog
08-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Being All Australian last season, he had every right to play on this year.

Yeah of course and a credit to him he has been dropped to the VFL without a single complaint.

bornadog
08-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Press Conference today with Bevo

azabob
08-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah of course and a credit to him he has been dropped to the VFL without a single complaint.

Further to that he made a point of saying to Bevo - Don't play me just to get me to 300 games. Pick me on merit alone.

Topdog
08-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Further to that he made a point of saying to Bevo - Don't play me just to get me to 300 games. Pick me on merit alone.

Didnt hear about that but wouldnt surprise me at all. Great clubman!

cinder
08-08-2017, 01:44 PM
You can't begrudge Boydy giving it one last crack this year - the will to squeeze out every last bit is in his DNA and made him the player he is - but I still feel he had the perfect opportunity to retire on top of the world at the end of 2016 as a premiership winning All-Australian. 2017 was always going to be difficult for him to hold ground with the return of Murphy and natural development of other players.

I blame myself as I told him to play on at the B&F ... :(

;)

Happy Days
08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Sorry for all the mean stuff I said about you over the years Boydy, you were a gun and we're going to miss you greatly.

3 All Australians and Best and Fairests, plus a flag is a phenomenal career. He also shouldered a lot of load through some really dark times, and I don't think he'll really get the credit he deserves. Well done my dude.

merantau
08-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Here are some adjectives to describe Matty Boyd: loyal, tough, professional, wise, staunch, uncompromising, self-sacrificing, strong, determined, competitive, resilient, fair, inspiring, steadfast, reliable and tenacious. Good man to have beside you when the chips are down. Salt of the Earth.

always right
08-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Agree with all the above with one addition.....best tackler since Libba Snr. His ability to stick a tackle on an opponent running at pace always amazed me. Also an incredible exponent of handball on his wrong side and falling to ground.

Doc26
08-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Boyd and Cross were such loyal, hard working Clubman over so many years for our Club; the two going hand in hand.
Whilst they shared so many battles on-field, where they left nothing, it was their unrivalled determination and work ethic in the pre-season and on the training track where their legacy will be felt the greatest.

I hope that his great mate Crossy was there today to support him one more time.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Western Bulldogs veteran Bob Murphy opens up on retirement and raft of 2017 retirees

Thank you and goodbye'
1:04
WESTERN Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy is the only AFL player who was on a list before the turn of the century.

Last year he saw fellow 1999 draftee Matthew Pavlich call it quits and in the past fortnight alone the 35-year-old has watched Nick Riewoldt, Jobe Watson, Sam Mitchell and teammate Matthew Boyd deliver emotional farewells.
Although these announcements have sharpened the spotlight on Murphy’s footballing mortality, he is not ready to follow suit. Not yet.

“That decision I have got to make is probably coming around pretty soon,” Murphy told foxfooty.com.au ahead of his team’s critical clash against GWS on Friday.

“I see that everyone else of my vintage is retiring. I’m starting to wonder if there was a memo that I missed. The time for that sort of decision is pretty close.”

Of course the harsh truth is that Murphy is his vintage, bar nobody else. Indeed, there’s a chance that only Shaun Burgoyne will remain from the 2000 intake in 2018, while Drew Petrie’s future is still unclear.
Line Murphy up alongside his contemporaries and most are either wearing suits, runners or a mixture of both.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2d8ae326ec79e9e9db7a6b99ed8510d7Easton Wood and Bob Murphy celebrate the win. Picture: Mark Stewart

Source: News Corp Australia

And the Dogs skipper is not one to shy away from his age given he’s been classified as a veteran for half a decade. In many respects he has no choice but to embrace it.
“I am at the stage of tucking in my singlets because I am conscious of getting a draft up my chest,” Murphy laughed.

“If that hasn’t caused a bit of a stir at my locker then nothing has. That is the official uniform of the middle aged man. It’s not very hip hop gangster.”
The visual of a slightly greying man with his shorts up high is hardly typical of a modern day footballer. But Murphy is anything but typical.

His team, the Western Bulldogs, played five games in July, losing their first two and winning their last three before defeating the Lions on Saturday to make it four wins on the bounce.

Not unlike day three at a major golf event, July is often characterised in football circles as ‘moving month’.
But for Murphy, the very prospect of moving has never been more trying than in recent weeks.
“I think July’s get a little bit more difficult every year,” he said.

“I don’t know if that’s the weather or because I’m getting older. But I must admit, at the ripe old age of 35, I cannot get the cold out of my joints. July is easily the most brutal.
“The soreness is there and the hard stuff that makes footy great is turned up to 10 in this time of the year.”

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/67dc78fe7ee2dde688d505833e87d0baBob Murphy in action. Pi​
Source: News Corp Australia

For these reasons, Murphy is reserving his big decision until the days are slightly longer. In order to weigh up his future, the 309-gamer is not prepared to make a rash call in the depths of winter.
“I don’t think you should ask a player about retirement at this time of year,” he said.

“Until I can smell the spring air, I think that is a more applicable time to start thinking about the future. I don’t want to think too far ahead. You get to here and it’s all been about dry July. It’s a tough time of the year and everyone is still a fair way from home.

“I am enjoying footy as much as ever. Probably a part of that is the fact that I am not too sure how long it will last. I’m trying to saviour the little moments and joy. All the nice things, singing the song and that basic sort of stuff. It is the stuff you will miss.”

Murphy would like to believe his Dogs are “still a fair away from home”, but the end could be as few as 16 days away if they drop two of their last three games.

Upcoming clashes against GWS, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn have their season delicately poised.
This time last season the Dogs were also sitting seventh on the ladder, but were assured of a finals berth courtesy of their 13 wins.
This year is a vastly different equation, one which Murphy equates to a horse race about to turn for the last straight.

“I think we’ve had a couple of good furlongs,” he said.
“We got checked a couple of times in the middle part of the race. Now we are just drifting up on the hind legs of a few of the more fancied mayors. The turn will start this Friday night and then we will be going as hard as we can hopefully.

“This Friday is right up there in terms of importance in terms of where our season is at, the time of the year and our opponent. We’ve built some momentum the last four weeks but the challenges are sort of assembling at the turn.
“Now we will see where we are at.”

Alongside his pinpoint left and right boots, Murphy’s self-effacing humour remains as sharp as it has always been.
“It does feel like the end of an era in one way,” he said of the several veterans that have retired in recent weeks.
“There are guys retiring who are icons of the modern era. Hodge will probably have a statue made of him.”
But what about Murphy’s statue?
“Mine would probably be picking the ball up out of a bucket to take the kick-out. That would be the iconic, bronzed pose I should have.

There should be a public fundraising thing for that. I have to be careful with print because sarcasm can often be misplaced. Can you please put a little bracket. Say ‘Robert scoffed at himself’.”
After 309 games, two All-Australian guernseys and three international rules series’, nobody is scoffing at the son of a Catholic priest and nun from Warragul.

Retirement or not, sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. And Murphy knows this better than most.

AndrewP6
09-08-2017, 09:53 PM
That was a good read. EXCEPT for... "Now we are just drifting up on the hind legs of a few of the more fancied mayors"....

Mayors/mares. Way to ruin a classic Bob-ism, whoever wrote that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-08-2017, 10:07 PM
How fortunate have we been to witness 3 such outstanding careers in MBoyd Murph and Morris who have done the Club proud in the manner they have performed on the field and all being outstanding club men. A great shame that Murph wasn't able to share in our great 2016 flag. Today's game with its frenetic pace has become very demanding on 35 year old bodies but given their leadership qualities and endurance Bevo is to be admired in letting them go out on their own terms. To witness 3 great champions of our Club give so much pleasure over a long time has been a real highlight and one to be celebrated.

Rocket Science
15-08-2017, 02:15 AM
Bob!

GVGjr
15-08-2017, 03:31 AM
Being reported that Bob will announce he is retiring from the game

cinder
15-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Someone in the FB group just posted there is a Bob Murphy press conference at 11:15? Trying to confirm ...

AndrewP6
15-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Someone in the FB group just posted there is a Bob Murphy press conference at 11:15? Trying to confirm ...

Herald-Sun on FB saying that too.

cinder
15-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-robert-murphy-set-to-retire-at-seasons-end/news-story/16c1af7e62b6e6807a1f775dde30221c)

bornadog
15-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Press conference today just after 11am

Ozza
15-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Bob's announcement to players/staff happened yesterday.

cinder
15-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Live Stream (http://bpmultihlslive2258.ngcdn.telstra.com/live/AFLVIDEO_WB/chunklist.m3u8)

mjp
15-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Watching it now. This sucks.

cinder
15-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Watching it now. This sucks.

Yeah, sad. Feels like the end of an era. Bevo pretty emotional.

bornadog
15-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah, sad. Feels like the end of an era. Bevo pretty emotional.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Hwq45iwTIUBGw/giphy.gif

cinder
15-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Totally me!

Doc26
15-08-2017, 01:37 PM
The speech of Bob's, announcing his retirement to the playing group and coaches yesterday, is ridiculously brilliant, and with all the class that we've come to expect from Bob.

The piece from 8:45 where he gently encourages the playing group to do their best to get to the point in their career where they can move their mindset from "This is the Club I play for, to this is My Club" was incredibly powerful.

Bob Tells His Team mates (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-08-15/bob-tells-his-teammates)

ReLoad
15-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Bob for PM.

SonofScray
15-08-2017, 02:34 PM
I'm as emotional as I can remember for a retiring player. The only time it came close to today was Libba's final lap at Etihad. He is one of the few players left in the league who are older than me and therefore I was able to still idolise him like I did guys like The Hawk and Scott Wynd when I was a kid without it being too weird.

He is the embodiment of our side, the fan's, perspective of what it means to pull on the jumper. Not many players in the professional era can so firmly entrench themselves in that side of the equation and tell our story, quite like he could. Usually those types of players are battlers, the ones we see a bit of ourselves in. Bob showed us the best of us and celebrated us, warts and all. He is a terrific footballer and an even better man.

I love him.

merantau
15-08-2017, 08:20 PM
I want so much a fairy tale ending to Bob's career. He has been such a wonderful part of our Club for so long - his place is assured in the panthenon of Bulldog immortals.
I am hoping that some magical, gossamer mist will envelope our team as we run out fot the next two matches - a mist that will see them play like supermen so that we enjoy two crushing victories with which to lauch our finals campaign.

westbulldog
15-08-2017, 10:19 PM
A leader who inspired and led our club to a premiership, perhaps the most admired Captain in the AFL. Humble and sublimely skilled and right up there with the bulldog greats. If ever our crop of young blokes wanted role models for their AFL career and life, look no further than Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris, our club is truly fortunate. Good luck Bob, I hope our blokes leave nothing on the park in the next 2 weeks to get you into a finals game.......who knows what might happen then. All the best.

Sedat
15-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Bob was AA captain 18 games ago. He is a star and has been a wonderful leader in our time of need 3 years ago. Having said that, time waits for no man and unfortunately his body is starting to show signs of failing him this season.

He's still good for another 6 games ;)

LostDoggy
15-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Agree with everyone's sentiments re Bob. He has been my absolute favorite player for all of his 18 years of playing for the WBFC. Will miss your wonderful runs and deliveries as well as goals like that one last week. All the best in retirement Bob!

bornadog
19-08-2017, 07:35 PM
I am still of the opinion that Morris should hang up his boots. Although he is still going strong at the moment, age will catch up to him by next year, and we need to make room and develop some of these young players down back.

With Adams coming back, and Young showing promise, we have to make room for the future of the club.

Doc26
19-08-2017, 07:46 PM
I am still of the opinion that Morris should hang up his boots. Although he is still going strong at the moment, age will catch up to him by next year, and we need to make room and develop some of these young players down back.

With Adams coming back, and Young showing promise, we have to make room for the future of the club.

Adams of course is yet to prove if his body can hold up to the rigours of the level. Collins is yet to command a spot, Roberts is floundering, and we will lose significant experience down back with Murphy and MBoyd moving on. And hopefully the latest hamstring of Easton's is just an anomaly and not something more sinister given his history.

Moz, even by his standards, has been cruelled by extreme injuries this season, a broken leg, a broken arm, and not doubt on top of other injuries that he carries week to week. No mere mortal has anything near the courage of the man.

If there's one player I'm happy to back in for next season, IF he continues to say he wants to go on and back himself in, it's Dale although I take your point that he will need some luck to finally go his way in 2018 for his body to go the distance. And maybe he might just have a season where he's not called on each week to play above his Division, manning the opposition's most damaging forward like Gray today.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Our first pick is locked in between 8-10 now. Surely JMac can talk to his Adelaide opposite if Lever is on the move to us. If we are to take on Lever, then I don't think we can keep Morris and keep the list balanced. But if we're not bringing in a ready to play, maybe he can stay. But for the longer term, our young backs need games I tend to agree.

The romantic in me would love to see him leave with Bob, Keith and Hodge & Gibson.

G-Mo77
19-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Moz plays on. Our kids are not ready yet and even if Lever comes on board we're still thin down there. Lever is a wirey defender who takes 2nd talls at his club. I don't think he can be the #1 defender with us.

Sedat
19-08-2017, 08:34 PM

If we force Moz into retirement it is the earliest tank in footy history. Our defensive stocks are thin as it is - we simply need Moz as part of the group for no other reason than ensure we have sufficient cover down back with our other light bodied and injury prone key defenders.

If he doesn't get a game in 2018 due to better form of others, then great. But it is madness to leave ourselves so exposed down back. Young is the future but his last 3 games show he has a long way to go. Adams has a body thus far unable to withstsnd the rigours of AFL footy. Roberts is depth.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 08:50 PM
If we force Moz into retirement it is the earliest tank in footy history. Our defensive stocks are thin as it is - we simply need Moz as part of the group for no other reason than ensure we have sufficient cover down back with our other light bodied and injury prone key defenders.

If he doesn't get a game in 2018 due to better form of others, then great. But it is madness to leave ourselves so exposed down back. Young is the future but his last 3 games show he has a long way to go. Adams has a body thus far unable to withstsnd the rigours of AFL footy. Roberts is depth.

I'm not sure the club thinks that though. Giving him a two year extension this year doesn't scream 'he's depth'. Two years...

Hotdog60
19-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Would Lever be more of a Hamlin upgrade.

bornadog
19-08-2017, 10:48 PM

We will see in 2018. I think I have already seen it in 2017.

I said the same about Murph and MBoyd, so do we risk a spot for a 35 year old. Easy to say he is playing well now, or age doesn't matter, but it actually does.

Ozza
21-08-2017, 09:59 AM
I can understand and respect bornadog's view for sure. There is certainly the risk that Morris' body doesn't stand up to another year.

But my personal view is that Lewis Young, Zaine Cordy and Bailey Williams will have better seasons if Morris is still on the list. I worry about losing that experience and level of instruction (both on game day and at the club) out of the backline group - noting that the younger players already mention how much instruction they get from Murphy, Boyd and Morris.

Mofra
21-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Morris gets another year for me - most teams play a leading forward/tweener who is around Morris' size so we get to play two genuine talls plus Morris who directs the backline when he plays.

Mantis
21-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm happy to re-sign Dale for another year, his season has been cruelled by 'freak' injuries, but when he has played he has been more than serviceable.. Really need some experience and direction in the back half which has been severely lack this year.

bornadog
21-08-2017, 12:15 PM
I can understand and respect bornadog's view for sure. There is certainly the risk that Morris' body doesn't stand up to another year.

But my personal view is that Lewis Young, Zaine Cordy and Bailey Williams will have better seasons if Morris is still on the list. I worry about losing that experience and level of instruction (both on game day and at the club) out of the backline group - noting that the younger players already mention how much instruction they get from Murphy, also Boyd and Morris.

I can also agree with this and won't be unhappy if he plays on, he is my favourite defender of all time, - well all most, certainly this century.

aker39
21-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Morris said on 360 last week he will play on if the club wants him.
Bevo said in press conference on Saturday that they want Morris to play next year

KT31
21-08-2017, 08:06 PM
I've always been in the Morris stays on camp, any other 34+ in the AFL would be a no way for me.
But Morris is no ordinary 34+ player, his courage, leadership, recovery from injury and now with us not picking up Lever he is a must.

Scorlibo
21-08-2017, 09:31 PM
I feel quite strongly that Morris' time is up. His performance on the weekend was his best for the season, he's had next to no impact in the other games and has clearly not had the slight athletic edge that he's been renowned for over the course of his career. Combine this with Lewis Young and Zaine Cordy's development down back and a returning Marcus Adams and there might not even be a place for him next year.

Mantis
22-08-2017, 08:56 AM
I feel quite strongly that Morris' time is up. His performance on the weekend was his best for the season, he's had next to no impact in the other games and has clearly not had the slight athletic edge that he's been renowned for over the course of his career. Combine this with Lewis Young and Zaine Cordy's development down back and a returning Marcus Adams and there might not even be a place for him next year.

Could the 3 week lay off due to a broken arm allowed other parts of his body time to heal so that he was able to move freely?

Well it's fact.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Like English I still think that Young needs more time in the VFL. Morris would be a great third man support for Adams and Cordy, which together with Biggs Wood and Williams gives you a solid defence.

macca
22-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Morris does not need to pay all the games next year if we have someone developing as a replacement . The rest would mean his body can heal and get more quality footy out of him. He had a late start to afl I I recall .

hujsh
22-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Morris does not need to pay all the games next year if we have someone developing as a replacement . The rest would mean his body can heal and get more quality footy out of him. He had a late start to afl I I recall .
Zaine seems mobile enough to cover him when he's out as long as one of the talls can cover for Zaine at FB.

Ozza
23-08-2017, 01:38 PM
How would posters feel if Matt Boyd was left out of the team on Friday night?

Its a tricky one - as we need to pick our best side given we are still a (small) chance to make it - but Boyd is surely not far out of the best side, and is still playing well as VFL level (albeit not our choice with half an eye on the future).

I'm really not sure how reliable the source is, so take it for what it is - but I have heard he was told on Monday that he wouldn't be in Friday nights team.

Hope that info is wrong.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Its a tricky one - as we need to pick our best side given we are still a (small) chance to make it - but Boyd is surely not far out of the best side, and is still playing well as VFL level (albeit not our choice with half an eye on the future).

I'm really not sure how reliable the source is, so take it for what it is - but I have heard he was told on Monday that he wouldn't be in Friday nights team.

Hope that info is wrong.

I'm conflicted over that possible decision.

KT31
23-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Would love Matty t be in the side on the weekend, they have a big retirement to lift them.
What better way to trump them and have two of our own.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2017, 02:04 PM
It's tough. But his VFL form has been good enough. I say with Stringer out, move Murph forward and Boyd can replace Murph at half back

Mantis
23-08-2017, 02:18 PM
It's tough. But his VFL form has been good enough. I say with Stringer out, move Murph forward and Boyd can replace Murph at half back

Murf has been playing forward in at least the last 2 games.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2017, 02:29 PM
We're not going to make it.

Play Boyd.

chef
23-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Hope that info is wrong.

I'd be really pissed off with the club if this happens. He deserves more respect than that.

If they are going to carry Young like they have the last month then they can find a spot for a champ of our clubs and give him the send off he deserves.

Doc26
23-08-2017, 02:38 PM
I'd be really pissed off with the club if this happens. He deserves more respect than that.

If they are going to carry Young like they have the last month then they can find a spot for a champ of our clubs and give him the send off he deserves.

I have the same sentiment as this.

I will be really miffed if Boyd misses this one.

aker39
23-08-2017, 02:43 PM
If Boyd plays Friday night, does that rule him out of VFL Finals.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Murf has been playing forward in at least the last 2 games.

He's been named at half back but has switched with JJ. Throw JJ forward then.

Bullies
23-08-2017, 03:29 PM
I have the same sentiment as this.

I will be really miffed if Boyd misses this one. they have to play him. No chance of making finals and don't deserve to. Young has been crying out for a spell for the last 3 weeks. Play Young in the 2's and get him ready for the 2's finals. Nothing to prove playing Young in the one's now.

Sedat
23-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Taking the sentimentality out of it, Boyd's recent VFL form is good enough to get a promotion based on merit. He plays for mine.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 11:22 AM
From Bevo press conference this morning:

We'd like Dale (Morris) to go on, Dale wants to go on...we've made it well aware to him of that.

aker39
24-08-2017, 11:53 AM
From Bevo press conference this morning:

Any mention of whether or not M Boyd will play this week.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Any mention of whether or not M Boyd will play this week.

Will play along with Lipinski

westbulldog
24-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Matt Boyd is thoroughly deserving of selection for Friday and to be given the send off he surely deserves.

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Great to see M Boyd in , and he thoroughly deserves a game .

The Pie Man
17-09-2017, 05:37 AM

Hope that info is wrong.

Heard this rumor repeated on SEN this week by Rocket. Story goes Bevo was overruled from above. Caller tried to insinuate there were issues b/w M Boyd & coach.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Heard this rumor repeated on SEN this week by Rocket. Story goes Bevo was overruled from above. Caller tried to insinuate there were issues b/w M Boyd & coach.

Only issue I would think was that Boydy couldn't crack it for a game. That would make any senior player angry.

Eastdog
30-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Matty Boyd and Bob Murphy went around in the car today pre 2017 GF at the MCG. A final one last goodbye.