PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 13, 2017 vs Melbourne

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:08 PM
This is the round 13, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
18-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-06-2017, 07:06 PM
B

A premiership last year.
Macrae - Just goes and goes.

A

JJ - got owned two weeks in a row by a wet lettuce. I'd drop you to the VFL if I wasn't afraid you'd walk out because of it.
Honeychurch - 3 very, very, very gettable shots. One was our fight back. Sorry, but that's it for me.
Jong - ACL it seems. Poor bastard.
Umpiring & score reviews - rubbing salt in the wound

bulldogsthru&thru
18-06-2017, 07:09 PM
B

A premiership last year.
Macrae - Just goes and goes.

A

JJ - got owned two weeks in a row by a wet lettuce. I'd drop you to the VFL if I wasn't afraid you'd walk out because of it.
Honeychurch - 3 very, very, very gettable shots. One was our fight back. Sorry, but that's it for me.
Jong - ACL it seems. Poor bastard.
Umpiring & score reviews - rubbing salt in the wound

Do we care if JJ walks out because of it? He's soft as butter and is selfish. If he cracks it at being dropped after two diabolical performances he can go for nothing. Egotistic. His manager looks about silly now as we should offer half of whatever we have been

Remi Moses
18-06-2017, 07:16 PM
B- s'pose you have to have one a premiership to have a hangover.

A- The playing group and the club are to comfortable with last year .
- JJ , if you want big bucks don't look petrified
- wood , very undisciplined, fumbly and lacking confidence
- I think we saw why Mitch Honeychurch doesn't play often .

Remi Moses
18-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Added anchor - terrible for Lin Jong

Sedat
18-06-2017, 07:52 PM
B - I'm off to Dubai and Greece for a holiday on Tuesday :D
A - skill level, transition of ball, inability to cope with opposition heat, lack of incremental improvement from a young list that we would reasonably expect to have seen more improvement from within

Ozza
18-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Bankers :

Caleb Daniel - continues to work hard and try and create, no matter the circumstances. Went at 85% today in a super hot game for pressure.
Libba - Most intensity, most tackles, most disposals. 6 score involvements. On such a bad day - some silver lining that it may have been his best game for the season.

Anchors:

The Ruckman. Some of you are going to be tempted to put Roughead in the votes. We'd have been better off losing the hit outs, when both rucks got clear taps, and hit them directly into the areas Melbourne wanted the footy. As they have done every week - Melbourne started with 2 extras off the back flanks to run through the centre - whereas we had the extra on the wings. I just sat there completely baffled as how could possibly keep hitting towards the same areas in that circumstances. Hit out 'dominance' completely wasted. Had 4 marks BETWEEN them, and the 'stadium held its breath' when Tom sat under his one and only grab for the day. Pederson and Tom MacDonald took 13 marks, between them, kicked a couple of goals, had 43 possessions between them - and their team won the clearances.

Biggs/Wood/Suckling - just so fumbly and put their team mates under pressure badly from defence.

Stringer - had a mare, and some very selfish displays. Deserved the spray he got from Dickson.

SonofScray
18-06-2017, 09:19 PM
B:
Tom Boyd's first quarter in the cliches was really good. If he could ever convince the umpires to punish his opponents for infringing on him he'd see more of the footy in front of goal.

Mitch Wallis - continuing a good return to footy.

Lin Jong - an improved player, paid a heavy price today.

A:
Suckling. Terrible.
Coaches. Not reading things well at all.
Umpiring. Feel like we are on the end of a square up post #freekickbulldogs hysteria.

lemmon
18-06-2017, 09:22 PM
The selfishness is an interesting one. It's seeped into a few players games- not least Bont.

Eastdog
18-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Bankers

Roughy early on was quite good

Macrae involved quite a bit today

Libba

Anchors

Stringer - Poor

Kicking our first goal 10 minutes in to the 2nd quarter

Some of the umpiring today awful - Many going supporters going off

merantau
18-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Bankers
1. Mitch Wallis - gave everything he had
2. Libba - really had a crack
3. Luke D - Never gives in

Anchors
1. Really poor delivery inside 50
2. Handball was a negative
3. Honey - this was your chance and you blew it big time. But you had a lot of mates who blew it too but not in such a glaring way.

bornadog
18-06-2017, 11:17 PM
3. Honey - this was your chance and you blew it big time. But you had a lot of mates who blew it too but not in such a glaring way.

What is it with these modern footballers who insist on having a shot at goal on some weird angle. If you can't kick a straight punt kick then you shouldn't be playing.

GVGjr
19-06-2017, 06:19 AM
What is it with these modern footballers who insist on having a shot at goal on some queried angle. If you can't kick a straight punt kick then you shouldn't be playing.

It has to be the way the way they train.
How was he out from goal? 30mtrs? And it wasn't a tight angle

It's the knock on Honeychurch, he doesn't covert enough of his chances.

Twodogs
19-06-2017, 09:06 AM
What is it with these modern footballers who insist on having a shot at goal on some queried angle. If you can't kick a straight punt kick then you shouldn't be playing.

Of course it's the way they train.

I've said it before and I will say it again, give me 30 minutes with each player and I will guarantee I will make them better kicks. Teaching a player to kick isn't rocket science.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 09:27 AM

If he took a long enough run up, and stepped out/arked to the right, he wouldn't have been that far off in front. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him lining up sideways from where the kick was. Then shocked he missed a snap from 10m out to snuff out our comeback attempt. The third loss meant nothing, but it was 40m out straight in front. Leaving aside some poor disposals and average decision making, I'm not sure I want to see him again this year, which means he's not with us in 2018.

bornadog
19-06-2017, 10:24 AM

A Melbourne player did the same thing and missed as well.

bornadog
19-06-2017, 10:25 AM
If he took a long enough run up, and stepped out/arked to the right, he wouldn't have been that far off in front. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him lining up sideways from where the kick was. Then shocked he missed a snap from 10m out to snuff out our comeback attempt. The third loss meant nothing, but it was 40m out straight in front. Leaving aside some poor disposals and average decision making, I'm not sure I want to see him again this year, which means he's not with us in 2018.

Honey hasn't played AFL level football for a year and still picked up 20 disposals. Yes he should have nailed those goals, but I would like to see him for a few more games and see how he goes.

comrade
19-06-2017, 01:38 PM
The Ruckman. Some of you are going to be tempted to put Roughead in the votes. We'd have been better off losing the hit outs, when both rucks got clear taps, and hit them directly into the areas Melbourne wanted the footy. As they have done every week - Melbourne started with 2 extras off the back flanks to run through the centre - whereas we had the extra on the wings. I just sat there completely baffled as how could possibly keep hitting towards the same areas in that circumstances. Hit out 'dominance' completely wasted. Had 4 marks BETWEEN them, and the 'stadium held its breath' when Tom sat under his one and only grab for the day. Pederson and Tom MacDonald took 13 marks, between them, kicked a couple of goals, had 43 possessions between them - and their team won the clearances.

If I could like this a thousand times, I would. The rucking was diabolical (as was the response in the coaching box), consistently tapping it into the space where Melbourne had free numbers running off the back of the square.

And Boyd's one mark inside 50 would have been an easy spoil for any defender had he not been on his own. His marking technique is probably the worst I've ever seen for a bloke that's 200cm+.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 01:56 PM
If I could like this a thousand times, I would. The rucking was diabolical (as was the response in the coaching box), consistently tapping it into the space where Melbourne had free numbers running off the back of the square.

And Boyd's one mark inside 50 would have been an easy spoil for any defender had he not been on his own. His marking technique is probably the worst I've ever seen for a bloke that's 200cm+.

So Boyd gets no credit for losing his defender, and goaling? I made it my task yesterday to pay close attention to our forwards leading patterns and contests. Boyd was badly burned on good leads a few times. Then when they did look for him, it was in a pack of 6 players, sometimes having a team mate throw their hands up - so he was given no decent chance. He's not going to be a gun player anywhere near forward with the service he gets. Same for Cloke, Redders, Carey, Ablett Snr or Lockett. Talking about Boyd is a focus on the symptom, the cause is abhorrent skills that give our forwards no chance to succeed. Which is why Brisbane, in last on the ladder, has out scored us this year.

G-Mo77
19-06-2017, 02:05 PM
It's the hold up of play further up the ground. We handpass sideways and backwards too often and teams are waiting on that, have all season long. Opposition floods back while we handpass and get nowhere while leading patterns and structure need to be reset or quickly work out an adhoc setup.

comrade
19-06-2017, 02:17 PM
So Boyd gets no credit for losing his defender, and goaling? I made it my task yesterday to pay close attention to our forwards leading patterns and contests. Boyd was badly burned on good leads a few times. Then when they did look for him, it was in a pack of 6 players, sometimes having a team mate throw their hands up - so he was given no decent chance. He's not going to be a gun player anywhere near forward with the service he gets. Same for Cloke, Redders, Carey, Ablett Snr or Lockett. Talking about Boyd is a focus on the symptom, the cause is abhorrent skills that give our forwards no chance to succeed. Which is why Brisbane, in last on the ladder, has out scored us this year.

The entries are diabolical of course, but he'll never be close to a gun forward with his current marking technique.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 02:21 PM
The entries are diabolical of course, but he'll never be close to a gun forward with his current marking technique.

With maybe one or two decent attempts with a good pass per game, we will never know! :D

westdog54
19-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Bankers

Libba. Had a decent crack after a reality check.
Cordy. Showed intent and a maniacal determination from start to finish.
Morris. If he wasn't there it would gave been even uglier.

Anchors

Wood. Was by a fair margin his worst game in the last two years. Couldn't catch a cold.
Bontempelli. Selective in his efforts and aside from a goal in the third he barely fired a shot.
Honeychurch. Had his chance and blew it.

As for JJ, I don't know what to think. It looked like he could barely walk going to the 3qt huddle.

GVGjr
19-06-2017, 07:25 PM
A Melbourne player did the same thing and missed as well.

It's a poor technique from the angle HC tried it from. Unfortunately Honeychurch can't afford to be missing those types of goals.